Status
Not open for further replies.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Found something cool for my TT! Hopefully they don't already have it, dug through their post history on both forums and didn't see them mention it so I think I'm safe. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive so I can wrap it properly!

What the eff. I lack patience and there was nothing saying wait until Dec 25 so I popped open the package and holy crap what?! I'll post a picture when I get home but Mystery SS you are a magician

Edit: I sincerely apologize if I was supposed to wait

Waiting is for chumps!

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
What the eff. I lack patience and there was nothing saying wait until Dec 25 so I popped open the package and holy crap what?! I'll post a picture when I get home but Mystery SS you are a magician

Edit: I sincerely apologize if I was supposed to wait

Nah! I know for myself, I'll have to open mine early just because I won't be home at Christmas. I'm excited to see what you got with that description though :o

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
xyOtjE3

Nothing too cool >_>

This is like those social media viral rube-goldbergian-flashmob mega-wedding proposals that set such an unreachable high bar, which makes so many dudes insecure because all they got planned is a ring and a dinner at olive garden.

Interface23

Oct 27, 2017
This is like those social media viral rube-goldbergian-flashmob mega-wedding proposals that set such an unreachable high bar, which makes so many dudes insecure because all they got planned is a ring and a dinner at olive garden.
I'm trying to figure out why I can't see images on this site. All I get is [ IMG ] and nothing else haha

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, all I see is the [ img ] too XD

I know there's that thing with Imgur and how those images are hit and miss with embedding. I think they suggested using Abload?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just waiting on one last gift for my TT to arrive and then I can send'em out, pretty excited.

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I thought the clue was in the title?

Yeah, but I imagine a lot of us travel out of town for the holidays, so it can be easier to just open it.

And personally for me, even with tracking numbers I'm always worried about the item(s) getting to my TT (what if it went to the wrong address!?), so if they decide to open or at least post early I'm ecstatic lol.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be waiting until Xmas day to open mine, anything to increase the size of my usual pitiful pile!

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Well done on being a good, albeit not-so-secret, secret santa.

Had Interface23 mentioned anywhere he wanted one?
Heh, thanks. I was torn in actually saying anything but... I guess I wanted to reassure that opening early was all good, he wasn't pissing off his SS by doing it. Hindsight I probably should have had someone help me, PM a third party and have them pass it on, but, ah well! Hindsight is 20/20 and my cat is out of the bag.

Yeah, it was on his wishlist as a highest priority item, I knew restocks were happening over the Black Friday weekend, so I stalked Amazon's third party fulfillers and managed to snag one on a restock.

Deschain

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First couple of presents ordered, just need to decide on a couple more and what I'm going to do with the packaging!

I love this time of year!

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
What's your guys take on hand packing vs. having Amazon/Target... deliver directly?

I always like hand packing and that's what I'll be doing when all my gifts for my TT arrive as I can be creative with the packaging and I just like making it feel really personal ^_^

Interface23

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, thanks. I was torn in actually saying anything but... I guess I wanted to reassure that opening early was all good, he wasn't pissing off his SS by doing it. Hindsight I probably should have had someone help me, PM a third party and have them pass it on, but, ah well! Hindsight is 20/20 and my cat is out of the bag.

Yeah, it was on his wishlist as a highest priority item, I knew restocks were happening over the Black Friday weekend, so I stalked Amazon's third party fulfillers and managed to snag one on a restock.

Haha my highest priority stuff were just there as a cold chance and to remind myself to pick them up if I ever ever see them. You are a magician!

Deleted member 23368

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I am new here and I just want to give some feedback on this thread from a fresh perspective.

I... I have no idea what you are doing. Do you just give random items to random strangers? What is TT? The only info I get from the OP are some deadlines and what minimum amount you can spend on things. It would be nice if all the info was in the OP, what the purpose of the thread is and explain what to do. I was curious what this thread was about and I was like "whut?" after reading it.

It's nice that you gift strangers(?) on the holidays and perhaps I am daft and just missed some earlier thread but some detailed info would be nice so that we all can be in on this together.

Hopefully I don't get eaten by the wolves (like on the other site) for feeling like I do and also giving some critique. (Haha I am afraid to post this reply. Should I post this?)

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Because it's an extremely derogatory term for a physically disabled person?

EDIT: Sorry to bring up here, just never encountered you in the other place and was just kinda surprised to see your handle name pop up.

Not condemning you or anything but as a person with Cerebral Palsy seeing Spacker is the equivalent of calling someone a Spastic/Re..../whatever else

I have Cerebral Palsy and I'm deaf, I know not everyone will like it but it's been my online handle for years and I don't intend to change it now.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Well, first part of my SS gift is sent. Had to resort to Amazon shipping for this one, since it would have been over twice the value of the object to ship it internationally with USPS or whatever. Hopefully it gets there okay without a proper phone number for the address.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I am new here and I just want to give some feedback on this thread from a fresh perspective.

I... I have no idea what you are doing. Do you just give random items to random strangers? What is TT? The only info I get from the OP are some deadlines and what minimum amount you can spend on things. It would be nice if all the info was in the OP, what the purpose of the thread is and explain what to do. I was curious what this thread was about and I was like "whut?" after reading it.

TT is "Tiny Tim" from the Christmas Carol story, not the singer with the ukelele. Basically Secret Santas are quasi-anonymous gift giving exchanges where you get paired up with another person and give them a gift. People here try to not give random things, but look at the recipient's likes and dislikes, video game history, etc.

It's a nice and charitable thing to do for the holidays, without all the stress of giving stuff to your friends and relatives in person. :)

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Haha my highest priority stuff were just there as a cold chance and to remind myself to pick them up if I ever ever see them. You are a magician!

Nah, not a magician, just have lots of time on my hands haha.

It's nice that you gift strangers(?) on the holidays and perhaps I am daft and just missed some earlier thread but some detailed info would be nice so that we all can be in on this together.

Hopefully I don't get eaten by the wolves (like on the other site) for feeling like I do and also giving some critique. (Haha I am afraid to post this reply. Should I post this?)

Ah, a common tradition in western countries around Christmastime is Secret Santa. You'll find it especially in stuff like workplaces, or school classrooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Santa

The basic rules are everyone who signs up gets assigned a random person to buy a gift for. You are their Secret Santa, and the person you're buying for is colloquially called Tiny Tim. You buy them something you think they would like, and send it to them. They open it up, sometimes when they get it, sometimes on the day itself, depending on the person/rules, and voila! A Christmas present from your Secret Santa. The minimum keeps from people taking advantage of others' generosity (So, you don't have someone giving like a $2 bag of candy when everyone else is averaging gifts around $20-25) and the deadlines help with organisation for both our Saint Nic (nicoga3000, who is organising this) and for the Secret Santas to get their deliveries out on time.

tl;dr, it's a randomised, anonymised gift exchange, popular in the west

battousai

Oct 25, 2017

Secret Santa is where ERA members get together and exchange presents. After signing up, all participants get put into two pools for international and domestic shipping. nicoga3000 then sorts the participants so that a member is a Secret Santa (SS, gift giver) to one participant, while also being a Tiny Tim (TT, gift receiver) to another participant. I'm pretty sure nicoga3000 makes it so that you wouldn't be giving presents to the person you're receiving presents from.

It's always fun to get unexpected presents from a stranger, but most participants try to get personalized presents for their TT, either by forum stalking or getting an Amazon wishlist. There has been instances where people don't receive presents, but there is now a place in the form for people to volunteer to step in and help out in case this happens.

Would I be getting gifts from the same person I'm sending gifts to?

Not usually.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Who gave you hell for asking about Secret Santa? That's poor of them, really.

Yeah, Secret Santa is fun for me, and I'm not even doing it out of christmas spirit. I'm a muslim, but it's a time of the year where I think it would be fun to make people happy. :D

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got the majority of the items sorted. Gonna get them an item or two off their wishlist aswell incase they aren't to fond of the stuff I got (all local stuff to be honest)

That was fun

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Just in case my SS needs help, here's an Amazon wish list. Please do not feel obligated to get things on it...I always throw all sorts of things on there. Ignore the pricey stuff if you do go this route.

http://a.co/1biXTVT

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
I was just checking the restrictions on things I can export to the destination country and it's crazy restrictive (like, NO FOOD ALLOWED restrictive). How are you guys getting around this? I just want to send Christmas cookies ffs. I was considering ignoring the rules but it would suck if my package never make it to destination or if my TT has to pay a fine or an import fee :/

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I was just checking the restrictions on things I can export to the destination country and it's crazy restrictive (like, NO FOOD ALLOWED restrictive). How are you guys getting around this? I just want to send Christmas cookies ffs. I was considering ignoring the rules but it would suck if my package never make it to destination or if my TT has to pay a fine or an import fee :/

Not that I would recommend it, but you can always lie? For example, I've had canned alcohol sent from Japan and just had it labelled as 'soft drinks' on the package - it's not like customs officers in my country can read Japanese even if they opened it! Anyway, there is some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.