• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Uh, because he's saying that we need a coalition of the working class to take down capitalist elites. I don't know how you construe "all lives matter" from that.
" Sanders remains a critic of identity politics and a firm believer that issues of race, while important, are not as salient and determinative as those of class. "There are people who are very big into diversity but whose views end up being not particularly sympathetic to working people, whether they're white or black or Latino," he said. "My main belief is that we need to bring together a coalition of people—of black and white and Latino and Asian-American and Native-American—around a progressive agenda which is prepared to take on an extraordinarily powerful ruling class in this country. That is my view. Many of my opponents do not hold that view, and they think that all that we need is people who are candidates who are black or white, who are black or Latino or woman or gay, regardless of what they stand for, that the end result is diversity." He hastened to add that "diversity is enormously important," but there was a bigger goal: "to change society and create an economy and a government that work for all people." "
do you not realize that the most damning part of that ("Sanders remains a critic of identity politics and a firm believer that issues of race, while important, are not as salient and determinative as those of class") is actually not a quote from sanders, but rather editorial text

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
do you not realize that the most damning part of that ("Sanders remains a critic of identity politics and a firm believer that issues of race, while important, are not as salient and determinative as those of class") is actually not a quote from sanders, but rather editorial text

I didn't, but I think the next quote part "There are people who are very big into diversity but whose views end up being not particularly sympathetic to working people, whether they're white or black or Latino, " sounds very much like "all lives matter" to me.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
" Sanders remains a critic of identity politics and a firm believer that issues of race, while important, are not as salient and determinative as those of class. "There are people who are very big into diversity but whose views end up being not particularly sympathetic to working people, whether they're white or black or Latino," he said. "My main belief is that we need to bring together a coalition of people—of black and white and Latino and Asian-American and Native-American—around a progressive agenda which is prepared to take on an extraordinarily powerful ruling class in this country. That is my view. Many of my opponents do not hold that view, and they think that all that we need is people who are candidates who are black or white, who are black or Latino or woman or gay, regardless of what they stand for, that the end result is diversity." He hastened to add that "diversity is enormously important," but there was a bigger goal: "to change society and create an economy and a government that work for all people." "
Again, how do you draw "all lives matter" from that

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I didn't, but I think the next quote part "There are people who are very big into diversity but whose views end up being not particularly sympathetic to working people, whether they're white or black or Latino, " sounds very much like "all lives matter" to me.
usually, what comes after "but" is quite important

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still want to know who these mystery opponents are that are saying that, what, I guess token candidates(?) are good enough as long as they're diverse.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
it's incredible that Bernie saying we need a diverse coalition of progressives gets construed into racism and all lives matter rhetoric on this board. Truly impressive
1324596542030_7713053vzk0i.png

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I like how you keep using that to shut down all critical discussion about anything you like, as if your opinion of what's a fair criticism is the only one that matters.
it's sort of how like people shut down any discussion about bernie and his MLK-inspired message of uniting racial and economic justice by calling it racist or a gaffe

like, he makes gaffes sometimes. this was not one of those times.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
it's sort of how like people shut down any discussion about bernie and his MLK-inspired message of uniting racial and economic justice by calling it racist or a gaffe

like, he makes gaffes sometimes. this was not one of those times.

See, that's a criticism. Your picture is just a shitty meme you're using to browbeat people into shutting up. There's a difference.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we can't solve economic issues because we can't solve racist shitheads
You can make progress on both!

But nothing will ever be perfectly solved , and no group of people is immune to racist shitheads - see the "Jews have a weather machine" councilman in DC who dipped out of his Holocaust museum tour.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But nothing will ever be perfectly solved , and no group of people is immune to racist shitheads - see the "Jews have a weather machine" councilman in DC who dipped out of his Holocaust museum tour.

Difficult to do that when people supposedly caring about racial justice fight against economic justice, which is partly required to push racial justice.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This is different from what you said earlier:

The problem is that he has it backwards. You fundamentally have to fix the economic inequality by fixing the racial inequality, because it's the heart of the problem.
To me, this reads that we can't solve economic inequality without solving racial inequality first, but then you said that we can't solve racism.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
for the record i wasn't referring to you specifically here, but to the entire premise of this discussion that what bernie said here constitutes a racist gaffe

i did deem that to be an argument worthy of "meme images" in response, yes

So, we come full circle, back to what I said. You're just using it as a way to browbeat people into shutting up, rather than trying to have a discussion of whether or not it's racist, because you've already decided Bernie isn't, and nothing will ever change your mind. (and to stave of the inevitable "What could he do to convince you he's not racist", perhaps he could try talking about issues facing african americans, and not always bring the conversation around to the "working class".)

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So, we come full circle, back to what I said. You're just using it as a way to browbeat people into shutting up, rather than trying to have a discussion of whether or not it's racist, because you've already decided Bernie isn't, and nothing will ever change your mind. (and to stave of the inevitable "What could he do to convince you he's not racist", perhaps he could try talking about issues facing african americans, and not always bring the conversation around to the "working class".)
just for the record, i preferred hillary over bernie in 2016

i'm not really at all a bernie stan like you seem to be suggesting. he is way too far on the right on economical issues for me

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is different from what you said earlier:

To me, this reads that we can't solve economic inequality without solving racial inequality first, but then you said that we can't solve racism.
It reads that way because you're interested in trolling with semantics. I said "fix racial inequality." Not "fix racism." The former is addressing things like the racial wealth gap. The latter is the dark heart of many people. Giving people money is easy, making everyone not be a racist asshole is impossible.
Difficult to do that when people supposedly caring about racial justice fight against economic justice, which is partly required to push racial justice.
Who are these people? The people in these upper-income areas aren't opposed to liberal social programs at the federal level. (the problems generally are more local, like with housing development.)

I think positing this as 07/08 Obama v Wright is kind of unfair (as Wright's take on things also sucks in other ways) but Obama playing up that type of thing in '07/'08 very much did happen and it very much got proven wrong over the next decade. Obama was also campaigning HARD for those rural white swing voters, and that has to do with what you see having changed in the electoral map with the '07 House having more than a 1/3 in these rural reddish districts, and the '19 House having less than a sixth located there.

I think people don't change, but people growing up in diverse areas is good, segregated ones are not, which is why metropolitan areas growing has been a net positive. But in many older/stagnant communities, which are still segregated, this isn't changing much. Which goes to my original point about how you need to fix the racial inequality.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It reads that way because you're interested in trolling with semantics. I said "fix racial inequality." Not "fix racism." The former is addressing things like the racial wealth gap. The latter is the dark heart of many people. Giving people money is easy, making everyone not be a racist asshole is impossible.
I'm not trolling with semantics. The racist shitheads are using racism to prevent economic progress.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another Bernie eating crackers moment when he was 100% right. Alot of people its easy to advocate diversity cause it doesnt affect them but when it comes to economic justice for poc they're quiet.

Wow, Sanders said one thing decent on race. That totally makes up for the many other times he kept putting his foot in his mouth.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in PoliERA, but I'm curious what people think about AOC's stance on identity politics. To me it's pretty similar to Bernie's but just more...well thought out since he has a huge blind spot that she doesn't by virtue of him being an old white guy. This was from. Na interview she did with The Intercept.

"Sometimes people throw this term around - 'identity politics' - and a lot of people, when they use that term, they'll all mean something different. And so in terms of using the term 'identity politics' as 'Vote for me, I'm XYZ', to use that as the sole basis for voting for someone, I think is incorrect and it's flawed, because there are a lot of, I think...I mean, there are a lot of Trojan horses (laughs). There are a lot of folks who say 'Vote for me, I am this intersection of different identities' but at the same time they still try to advance or are primarily financed by special interests, so it doesn't necessarily get us to where we need to be.

At the same time, I think that a lot of our problems that we have here, our current social problems, are due to the fact that we've ignored a lot of the history of the United States along race, religion, class, and creed. And because we don't want to discuss the fact, for example, that slavery eventually evolved into Jim Crow which eventually evolved into the mass incarceration system, to pretend that mass incarceration is not tied to race, to pretend that current immigration policy is not tied to racism or xenophobia is also a mistake.

I am running and my identity is important because the district is about 70% people of color, the district is about 40% primarily Spanish speaking, it's at least half Latino. And it's not the fact that I'm a Hispanic woman that allows me to better represent this district, it's about the fact that it's a lens that I have to better organize and communicate with the people who live here."

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for someone to explain who these mystery token candidates are that Sanders is referring to and who the mystery opponents who would put them up just because they're women/ POCs/ LGBTQ are.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
the fuck is this shit

you're all high and mighty telling me that i'm just shutting down people and you're just here implying i'm lying about my own views. fuck ofd with that, that's a real asshole thing to do

https://www./threads/bernie-sanders...to-be-president.1205414/page-6#post-200392778

https://www./threads/trump-v-bernie-debate.1224012/#post-204699154

https://www./threads/bernie-stan-be...-in-a-landslide.1170311/page-6#post-192157037

YOU are the one who is shutting down debate.

i doubt you'll even have the decency to apologize

i wonder if you're basically just projecting your own disingenuousness onto me

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We cant solve it, just combat it.

for the record i wasn't referring to you specifically here, but to the entire premise of this discussion that what bernie said here constitutes a racist gaffe

i did deem that to be an argument worthy of "meme images" in response, yes

It was worthy of that response because it's the usual Bernie hating group, one of which couldn't even finish bolding a sentence in that article to throw off its meaning.

Bernie is saying the exact same thing AOC say.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trolling with semantics. The racist shitheads are using racism to prevent economic progress.
Yes. Many of those people existed in the 2007/2009 House delegation. The thing is, even though we're replacing many of those more-racist people from lower-income areas with less-racist people from higher-income areas, our overall coalition is moving leftward on both social and economic policy because, as it turns out, the racism is a bigger roadblock to progress than what class your constituency represents.

But Bernie, being from a hyper-rural, hyper-white state, is incredibly distrustful of those areas, in the same way that the guys in the old Salsa commercials were upset their dip was made in "NEW YORK CITY".
And I think they do. If that is the fundamental source of our disagreement then so be it.
Change can happen generationally, but you're not fundamentally fixing people who never had to learn how to interact with people who weren't like that and overcome that xenophobic fear that drives them. Lovecraft being considered a horror master while also being a virulent racist? Not unrelated.. It's the same fundamental reason dog trainers recommend you take a puppy to the dog park when it's young- to get it used to interacting with other people and dogs who don't look or act like you do. Kids are malleable. Adults, much less so.

Jan 15, 2019
Interesting. How do you counteract racism by concentrating on the working class?
Working class is disproportionately comprised of PoC. Things like medicare for all and tuition free college would greatly benefit PoC and the LGBTQ+ community. More so than white people. So there are definitely ways to counteract the effects of racism through "economic" policy. Race and economics are intrinsically intertwined after all. But then of course you still need policies that address specific issues not necessarily tied to economics like police brutality rates against black people, discrimination against trans people, etc. In general though you can absolutely get closer to equal treatment for all people with "colorblind" policies, but obviously it won't get you all the way there.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
the fuck is this shit

you're all high and mighty telling me that i'm just shutting down people and you're just here implying i'm lying about my own views. fuck ofd with that, that's a real asshole thing to do

https://www./threads/bernie-sanders...to-be-president.1205414/page-6#post-200392778

https://www./threads/trump-v-bernie-debate.1224012/#post-204699154

https://www./threads/bernie-stan-be...-in-a-landslide.1170311/page-6#post-192157037

YOU are the one who is shutting down debate.

i doubt you'll even have the decency to apologize

i wonder if you're basically just projecting your own disingenuousness onto me

Wrong again. I apologize. I was wrong, and you did support hillary over bernie. I'm sorry.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I posted this in PoliERA, but I'm curious what people think about AOC's stance on identity politics. To me it's pretty similar to Bernie's but just more...well thought out since he has a huge blind spot that she doesn't by virtue of him being an old white guy. This was from. Na interview she did with The Intercept.

"Sometimes people throw this term around - 'identity politics' - and a lot of people, when they use that term, they'll all mean something different. And so in terms of using the term 'identity politics' as 'Vote for me, I'm XYZ', to use that as the sole basis for voting for someone, I think is incorrect and it's flawed, because there are a lot of, I think...I mean, there are a lot of Trojan horses (laughs). There are a lot of folks who say 'Vote for me, I am this intersection of different identities' but at the same time they still try to advance or are primarily financed by special interests, so it doesn't necessarily get us to where we need to be.

At the same time, I think that a lot of our problems that we have here, our current social problems, are due to the fact that we've ignored a lot of the history of the United States along race, religion, class, and creed. And because we don't want to discuss the fact, for example, that slavery eventually evolved into Jim Crow which eventually evolved into the mass incarceration system, to pretend that mass incarceration is not tied to race, to pretend that current immigration policy is not tied to racism or xenophobia is also a mistake.

I am running and my identity is important because the district is about 70% people of color, the district is about 40% primarily Spanish speaking, it's at least half Latino. And it's not the fact that I'm a Hispanic woman that allows me to better represent this district, it's about the fact that it's a lens that I have to better organize and communicate with the people who live here."

Ignoring the fact that she's talking about a phantom (There's no minority/woman who's in the pocket of big business running around saying "Vote for me I'm whatever.") She's still has a better grasp than Bernie "uncomfortable voting for black people doesn't mean they're racist" Sanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.