• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bebop242

Oct 28, 2017
Had a psp and a vita. Have not picked either of them up in over a year. If I ever do, it will be to play ps1 games (like the Final Fantasy) because I find them easier on the eyes on the small screen.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
As an old bugger (42) I find portable gaming more and more appealing. I'm loving the Switch being able to play at home on the big telly, continue in bed as a portable and at work in the tabletop variation is just fantastic to have that flexibilty. I liked my PSP, loved my Vita, 3DS and retro fueled Android tablet but I adore the Switch so far

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
Forgive me for butting in on the thread as I'm only just about to turn 39 but in cynicism I'm advance well beyond my 40's if that counts.

I've never stopped playing handhelds owning pretty much everything that came out since the original Gameboy. Even took a Vita backpacking and a 3DSXL to India when I worked out there for few months a couple of years ago.

I've never had a problem with anything visually until this year as I start to enter that zone where age plays it's part on eyesight. In fact, if anything my eyes have been too sharp as I've always been able to see and discern things at distances that make friends, colleagues and opticians ask 'how the hell can you see that'?

In the last few months I've started to get what I'm calling focus lock-in. If I'm focusing on something near then my focusing doesn't instantly snap to far when I look away from it, and vice-versa. I've had this a couple of times playing Switch, reading a book or editing photos on a computer screen that fills my vision and looking up. Then I've had it a few times either watching a movie and then the lights coming up and looking at things near me, or watching a movie at home and then picking up my phone. In the worst instance which was last month I was watching a play in a theatre and during intermission I couldn't get a focus on any of the words in the programme during intermission.

It worried me enough that I got some advice. As it turns out, there isn't anything wrong with my vision per se other than natural ageing. What's happening is that it's only occurring under specific circumstances - ie I maintain focus on only one thing for a large amount of time. Basically, if I was multi-screening or looking at an array of focal ranges I'd not even notice it, but because I'm one of those people who once their attention is on something I rarely look away or take a break I was straining myself.

To mitigate and improve things I have to remember to look at different things around the room. Closing my eyes for 1-2 minutes is also like a reset button as are plain old eyedrops which I've now starting keeping at home and at work. Taking that advice onboard I've had a much more comfortable experience in the last month.

Of course it's different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn't rule out playing portables any more that I'd rule out reading books and magazines. You may find that your eyes just need a little more care and a change of habits as I did, but the best thing would be to check with your optician.

As for portable gaming in general. I travel enough that over the last couple of years it has pretty much been my primary way to play. With the release of the Switch it's actually become my main console thanks to the being a hybrid and I now don't have to fear starting a long game and not being able to play it regularly.

Last edited:

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
That is a thing of beauty. Looks like the spaceship from Battle of the Planets.

It was a present from my Dad after he'd visited the states, it was like a thing from the future for me (late 70s or early 80s, can't remember)

Took 4 batteries which it ate in under an hour. I think I still have it at my mum's home.

Also, Battle of the Planets was awesome.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 48 years old and feeling it. I've worn glasses since my mid twenties and eariler this year my optician suggested I start wearing reading glasses, but I just find them super annoying.

I just take my glasses off if I want to play on my Vita and it's as clear as day about a foot from my nose.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
I play my n3DS and Switch (portable) a lot without any vision issues, but I do have to take my glasses off to play (I'm near-sighted). If I wore contacts I would have problems seeing the screen.

Portable gaming is great as a dad with young kids and not a lot of time to sit down for a traditional console experience. I'd sacrifice graphics quality for a Switch version that I can use portable. I'm also loving the indie explosion on the Switch.

OldManNoob

Oct 27, 2017
The Wild West
I'm 41 and prefer mobile gaming. I own a Vita and Switch. I have two kids and it's just easier to play on the go in short bursts. The suspend mode on both systems helps a lot with short game times. Mobile also makes it convenient to play while traveling and holidays at in-laws.

Risible

Oct 25, 2017
I'm over 50 and play on a 3DS all the time. I used to be 20/20, but after 40 or so I became far-sighted. I just use reading glasses when playing my 3DS.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only 37 but I find gaming on a tv weirdly obsolete? I don't totally get it. I much prefer portable gaming, or playing on my laptop which I can take anywhere.

I like much smaller experiences though. the only tv game I've played this year is Persona 5.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be 40 in December and handhelds have been in my gaming habits since Pokémon Yellow.

Cannot imagine going somewhere without one.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not quite that old, but my interest in portable gaming has definitely waned lately because I don't find the systems very ergonomic. 3ds systems in particular made my wrists hurt.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Just about 40, have no interest in portable gaming , only console . Got a vita in the house but only play it if I'm really bored and out of options on console ( and wife has a switch , but she has rarely ever taken it out)

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
44 here! I've owned a Vita and a 3DS, but as I work from home and have my own TV downstairs, I never used them much even though I loved the idea of laying on the couch or in bed and playing. Apparently I talk to myself a lot and was annoying the shit out of my wife in bed so that stopped lol. I am interested in the Switch, but more for the games than the portability. It would be a novelty to bring it with me on the go. Idk, maybe it would be amazing in the summer to play at night outside in our backyard in the warm summer air?

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific NW
I play 3DS or Switch in bed quite often. I've also been taking my Switch to work and playing FIFA with some coworkers.

My eyesight is fine for close range, so that hasn't been a barrier.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be 40 in January and have always enjoyed portables. My eyes are good enough that the smaller screen real estate isn't a bother at this point.

I've wanted a hybrid system in the vein of Switch since I was a teenager, it's nice to reflect on the journey of technology.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I usually prefer to play on a big screen but I have been playing on portables from those '70s Mattel sports games and Game & Watch to the present day. But I can see stuff up close well without my contacts in.

Sh0k

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 51 and I love my Switch, I take it to work and play a lot in bed. I wear bi-focal glasses, so getting up close to the screen is not a problem.

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
I'm 40 and primarily play portables. I only have time to squeeze in a few minutes of game time here and there, and having a device with a true sleep setting is integral. DS/3DS/iOS/Vita.... and I'm absolutely loving the switch as it really bridges console/handheld.

Again, I think having reliable sleep mode is actually key here. I don't have time to waste booting up consoles/games these days.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
45 and have always enjoyed portable gaming...
Turbo Express and Lynx were amazing in their day and then came the GBA/(3)DS

Sadly, I'm not as big into mobile gaming, because there always seems to be a "catch" too much carrot on a stick/gatcha action going on to be much fun.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
45 here.... on the road, I play X-Com and Civilization in on my Surface Pro and the Pinball Arcade emulator on my phone... I really don't want to carry another gadget around so I use what I have. Audiobooks and podcasts are the travel entertainment of choice though.

Oct 25, 2017
I do play portables. My vision is still ok, but I'm starting to notice really tiny print takes a bit of effort to focus with my good eye (the other's been a bit gimpy for 10 years. It hasn't gotten worse, though).

The 3DS XL makes a big difference. I wouldn't want to use a standard sized one anymore.

Quantum

Oct 25, 2017
46 y/o

Have enjoyed perfect vision until about a year ago. I have most portables and was using one daily until my eyes had trouble focusing.
When talking to my dad it turns out I made it about 2 years longer than he did before needing to use reading glasses.

While I have presbyopia and need reading glasses now, I had pretty much stopped playing on the vita and 3ds for the last 5-6 months.

I finally broke down and picked up a switch a week ago and I love it. since then I've fired up my other portables and realized that I still love the games;

I think for me it was learning to use the reading glasses, getting comfortable with them, now that they are on my face and don't feel weird I can enjoy portable gaming again.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Very close to that age and I play my switch, typically docked, and reluctantly still play 3DS since it's the only place to play the new Culdcept, 3D Picross, and Metroid 2 remake.

I've honestly been a fan of portables throughout my life despite realizing most exclusives weren't up as fun as their home console counterparts, with notable exceptions like Link's Awakening.
Still, the first genesis I owned was a Nomad and that thing kept me from quitting gaming all-together when there was this overwhelming flood of me-too RPGs after FFVII hit big. I had Gameboy at launch and bought a GBC just to have Super Mario DX while I was in college.

Having laser eye surgery about 17 years ago didn't hurt when it comes to keeping tiny screens legible.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Not 40, but have been wearing glasses since pre-k and currently have -9 and -8. Also owned portables since gray brick Game boy up to Vita and N3ds. Never had a problem. I do prefer big phablet smartphones, if that matters.

DasRavenEra

Oct 27, 2017
RDU
Had a Vita and enjoyed it and switched to a PSTV.
I have no interest in portables anymore.

I can't even make myself start the few mobile games I have on my phone.

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
I'll turn 45 this year. I've had a portable for gaming since I got an original Gameboy in college and I love them. Don't have issues seeing the screens or anything and I use a portable gaming machine pretty much every day of my life, gaming for at least an hour on them. I currently have a Switch, 3DS, and Vita, though I mainly game on Switch.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
nearing 40. Yup. Gameboy and on (further back if you count those shitty tiger electronic handhelds). Vita and psp bummed me out, so much potential that feels like it never got tapped.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
ive owned a bunch but usually lost interest pretty quickly. carrying and charging them is just too much work usually.

mobile games are the way to go now for me since i always just have a phone on me.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 43. I won't carry them around with me anymore, but I'm open to playing them at home. I've been on a real 16 and 8 bit gam8ng kick for the past year. I do want to get a switch in the next 6 months though and I'll play that. My vision seems to be fine reading this iPad and playing a 3DS so it's not an issue yet with vision.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
I was never a fan of portable gaming, but due a recent lifestyle change, portable gaming fits the bill. Obviously I'm looking into getting a Switch. Thing is, since a few months I am having problems with my vision when it comes to reading or looking at objects which are a few inches away from my nose (I'm turning 43 soon). I guess time is ripe for me to get my eyes checked, and most probably will end up with a second set of glasses (I already have one for long distance).

So, mature Resetters, how do you deal with portable gaming? Do you use reading glasses? Or you gave up on portable? Should I invest in a set of glasses with progressive lenses? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi The Deep :)

nearly 45 year old, no vision problem (for now, i know it will happen), video games since 1977 and i don't like play on portable consoles and smartphones, i'll buy a Switch soon and i'll use it like a home console only. But...i think my little family will use it like a portable console, everyone will be happy :)

I can't help you but I hope you find a good solution to play a very long time, long life full of pixels :)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, for me at least. I didn't have any motion sickness issues when I was younger. It is getting progressively worse as the decades go by.

Another issue is I have is it's hard for me to play keyboard and mouse anymore. Getting wrist pains. So its primarily controller based games for me, which is difficult because they are mainly on the console, which have a lot of 30fps games (motion sickness issue!).
Hmm, sounds even worse than it is for me :/ For me the motion sickness got better when buying a PC, I did that just four years ago, before then I was a console-only gamer and had already boycotted the Halo serie and Resistance etc, everything that was first person and 30 fps. But on PC it got better and I've slowly started playing some first person shooters like Metro and have no issues with Skyrim or No Man's Sky etc.
I play all third person games with controller though so it shouldn't be all bad for you, I just use an old wired 360 pad, it never fails on me. Not sure if first person shooters are m+kb only though, is that your problem?

Last edited:

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Until recently, I've made all the wrong decisions when it comes to portable gaming.
1. Never bought a Gameboy.
2. Really wanted an Atari Lynx, and only was spared the ignominious fate of owning one because I couldn't afford it.
3. Bout a Vita - twice! - and left it in a hotel room on two different occasions; it was stolen both times. Haha.
4. Never bothered with a DS or 3DS.

Finally got it right with the Switch and I'm loving it. It's a solid system, some of the early games are phenomenal, and the ability to play on the go is very appealing.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I am seeing a lot of people of all the ages playing mobile games during commuting but i prefer listening to music, reading a book or daydreaming during that time.
Other than that when i am at home i fire up my PC (or my PS3 on rare occassions) thus having absolutely no time or interest for any kind of handheld gaming.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy handheld gaming with the right games (as in: stuff that''s exlusive to a handheld system like 3DS or Visual Novel because you also wouldn't read a book on a TV, right?), but funiily enough pretty much only when I'm at home - on journeys or commuting I usually prefer to do lighter stuff that doesn't require much concentration or can be started and stopped at a moment's notice. For proper gaming I feel I need enough time to get invested and not being interrupted.

Mihos

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I still play them a lot. For some reason, Nintendo portables hurt my hands although I am fine with vita/psp/emulator consoles.

Last edited:

Tomhan

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
I'm 37 but I'm in on portables primarily on my train commute to and from work. I'm loving the Switch and have only rarely played it in it's dock. Having FIFA, Mario Odyssey and Skyrim (in a couple weeks) available to play on the train has been a revelation and has really cut into my reading time.

DotHair

Oct 29, 2017
UK
47 here and first post :)

I didn't take to portable gaming until I got the Switch...the screen quality and size feel just right for some games. However, I tend to play on the sofa with split joycons...not truly portable I suppose.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Portables are all I play these days. I don't have a lot of hours in a row to spend in front of a TV, so all my gaming is on a DS/3DS/Switch which I can carry around the house and play in short bursts.

waru

Oct 30, 2017
43 here, with small eyes problems. The size and the resolution of the Switch screen are perfect for me. No eye strain even with long sessions.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I turned 40 this year myself and still play tons of games on my phone and currently wrapping up Metroid: Samus Returns which is an amazing game! So I would say I play portable games just as much as any other gaming year in my life. Not stopping anytime soon either :-)

KentBlake

Oct 27, 2017
42 here....I own the portables (Vita, 3DS)...but they are by far my least played consoles. I tend to only play their exclusives, and only the ones that really interest me. But I'd much rather play these same games on a big TV.

I purchased a Switch recently but 90% of the time I use it docked. Just finished Golf Story and in my 16 hours with the game, only a few minutes were played in portable mode.

Last edited:

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. While I've played a few portable games here and there, I just can't get into portable gaming. Maybe if I commuted on public transportation for an hour or more, I could. But I'd rather sit on my couch and play or at the computer.