• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pje122

Jul 11, 2018
Not sure if others are coming anytime soon, but DP2.1 is only going to be beneficial for a very, very small set of people. To understand and compare, HDMI2.1 supports up to a theoretical 48Gb/s bandwidth. Unless if you are trying to run a 4K rez and consistently trying to get >144Hz refresh (and good luck finding a game and a graphics card that can do it), there is no technical advantage you are getting with DP2.1. It's why most manufacturers have not gone above 40Gb/s for DisplayPort.

Things like HDMI support for eArc is way more important for futureproofing if you ask me. If you are plugging in a headphone to your monitor for sound, you should probably reconsider and get a dedicated DAC/amp instead...

From wiki,
What about for simracing; daisy-chaining 3 high resolution, high fresh-rate monitors together?

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA

Squidmaster7

Feb 24, 2021
Ive been using a 32" 1440p VA monitor from LG for several years. I like it, but Im getting the urge to upgrade soon. Most likely when Nvidia releases their next batch of GPUs. Im only ever going to be using any future monitor for SDR content for work and games. Out of everything released now is there any monitor that has accurate SRGB emulation? Most reviews Ive seen dont really get into the nitty gritty of the OSDs and what the user can change.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
No idea where you get your infos but new WOLED Monitors are barely brighter compared to QD-OLED. Neither in HDR or SDR it's a meaningful difference. And even if WOLED happen to be slightly brighter that's just mostly coming from white. When it comes to displaying colours QD-OLED is actually pushing more nits.

SDR
image.png

HDR
image.png

Colours
image.png
I said SDR, not HDR.
In SDR, QD-OLED is ~260nits max, no matter the window size. Newer WOLED is ~260 nits for 100% window size, but goes up, with smaller window sizes and/or real scenes.

Here is RTings review of LG's refreshed 27 inch, the LG 27GS95QE-B-----which isn't the newest panel with the new pixel structure. May or may not even be MLA. Their new 32 inch should be even brighter in SDR:
Real Scene
271 cd/m²
Peak 2% Window
335 cd/m²
Peak 10% Window
338 cd/m²
Peak 25% Window
340 cd/m²
Peak 50% Window
317 cd/m²
Peak 100% Window
261 cd/m²
Sustained 2% Window
332 cd/m²
Sustained 10% Window
334 cd/m²
Sustained 25% Window
338 cd/m²
Sustained 50% Window
314 cd/m²
Sustained 100% Window
260 cd/m²
Automatic Brightness Limiting (ABL)
Minimum Brightness
18 cd/m²

and here is their SDR table for Alienware's new 32 inch QD-OLED, the AW3225QF (to be fair, the Alienware has been noted to be a little bit more aggressive about limiting brightness, than the other 32 inch QD-OLED. Which is why it is shown here to consistently come in under 250-260 nits:
Real Scene
234 cd/m²
Peak 2% Window
245 cd/m²
Peak 10% Window
245 cd/m²
Peak 25% Window
248 cd/m²
Peak 50% Window
250 cd/m²
Peak 100% Window
245 cd/m²
Sustained 2% Window
241 cd/m²
Sustained 10% Window
244 cd/m²
Sustained 25% Window
246 cd/m²
Sustained 50% Window
247 cd/m²
Sustained 100% Window
244 cd/m²
Automatic Brightness Limiting (ABL)
Minimum Brightness
26 cd/m²

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If you have a very bright room an OLED is a bad choice no matter what.
I don't know where people get this idea.
My 48C1 maxes out at 125 nits fullscreen brightness, is next to a window that gets bright direct sunlight first thing in the morning, and I have no problem seeing anything on it. Even in light mode.
And this new crop of WOLED panels with MLA can do 250 nits now - as can all the QD-OLEDs (though the latter have other issues in bright rooms).

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where people get this idea.
My 48C1 maxes out at 125 nits fullscreen brightness, is next to a window that gets bright direct sunlight first thing in the morning, and I have no problem seeing anything on it. Even in light mode.
And this new crop of WOLED panels with MLA can do 250 nits now - as can all the QD-OLEDs (though the latter have other issues in bright rooms).

I think the bigger issue with using an OLED in a room that is very bright most of the time is that you can't really take advantage of the black levels, which are the panel's primary advantage over LCD. You will still get the fast response times, but I don't know if that is enough to offset the disadvantages.

I have an OLED and a mini-LED monitor in the same room with a large bay window. The mini-LED looks better during the day and the OLED looks better at night.

Toupee

Feb 5, 2024
Queens NY
The newer WOLED monitors have notably better brightness in SDR. In actual use, its very similar to a mid-range IPS panel. If you have an IPS which can do 500 nits and you use it close to maxed out often, you will notice WOLED lacking some brightness. But, past 400 nits is really bright, especially from a smaller screen like a 27 or 32.
I can't imagine using one over 400 nits, for long periods. I have a 27 inch IPS which Tom's tested to produce like 430 nits or something----and I have it at 43% for gaming, and less for everything else. And I like to have an overhead light on and only have basic, white blinds on the window. I have compared it side-by-side with the 27 inch WOLED from KTC (its a newer refresh panel .May or may not have MLA). And the brightness on the KTC is totally fine. I had to set it more like 70% for gaming. but still, not near maxed. LG refreshed their 27 inch and so did Corsair (and Corsair confirms its MLA and put out a new firmware to maximize brightness).
These are super helpful comparisons, thanks! I have a Surface Pro 9 that supposedly hits 450 nits and I do have that cranked up pretty high a lot of the time. Maybe some day I'll have a dim room, heh.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
These are super helpful comparisons, thanks! I have a Surface Pro 9 that supposedly hits 450 nits and I do have that cranked up pretty high a lot of the time. Maybe some day I'll have a dim room, heh.
I use the 27 2024 WOLED from LG in very bright rooms

No issues with glare nos brightness when set to High. Also have used it for 2 people to play fighters on it, the had no issues even though the monitor was facing the room with the white industrial lighting in the ceiling

Gonna change to the 32 though. Should be as bright, if not brighter.

Surface panels are glossy. You need matte. WOLEDs are matte.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Not sure if others are coming anytime soon, but DP2.1 is only going to be beneficial for a very, very small set of people. To understand and compare, HDMI2.1 supports up to a theoretical 48Gb/s bandwidth. Unless if you are trying to run a 4K rez and consistently trying to get >144Hz refresh (and good luck finding a game and a graphics card that can do it), there is no technical advantage you are getting with DP2.1. It's why most manufacturers have not gone above 40Gb/s for DisplayPort.

Things like HDMI support for eArc is way more important for futureproofing if you ask me. If you are plugging in a headphone to your monitor for sound, you should probably reconsider and get a dedicated DAC/amp instead...

From wiki,
DP 2.1 makes sense on a display right now-----because people keep displays for a few years.
I think the bigger issue with using an OLED in a room that is very bright most of the time is that you can't really take advantage of the black levels, which are the panel's primary advantage over LCD. You will still get the fast response times, but I don't know if that is enough to offset the disadvantages.

I have an OLED and a mini-LED monitor in the same room with a large bay window. The mini-LED looks better during the day and the OLED looks better at night.
WOLED don't lose black level in bright rooms. Matte or gloss.

QD-OLED do lose their black level. As their panel turns a grayish purple, with direct light or lots of indirect.

Mini-LED have more apparent contrast in a bright room, due to brighter backlighting. Which is different from black level.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised how fast OLED monitors are dropping in price. A year or so ago all the new ones that came out were easily above 1000$, now you can get a solid one for around 700$. Hopefully in the next 5 years or so there'll be one at 400$.
The panels are mostly the same as in TVs so there is no reason why OLED monitors should cost more than OLED TVs.

DP 2.1 makes sense on a display right now-----because people keep displays for a few years.
We don't know yet if DP 2.1 will even bring anything of value on the display side for this generation of displays.
It is very much needed for anything >4K with a decent refresh but for 4K@240Hz it seems unnecessary.
The biggest "issue" with these panels on DP 1.4 is that they are using the maximum capability of display h/w in modern DP 1.4 GPUs which lead to inability to use DSR on them.
But it remains to be seen if this will still be an issue when pairing a DP 2.1 GPU with a DP 1.4 monitor - theoretically a DP 2.1 GPU should have a much more capable display h/w which could remove said limitation even without the need for a DP 2.1 connection.
Also running 8K at anything above 120Hz on modern GPUs seems like a futile idea and DSR would work if you disable DSC which would limit you to just about 120Hz on such display.

Last edited:

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
WOLED don't lose black level in bright rooms. Matte or gloss.

QD-OLED do lose their black level. As their panel turns a grayish purple, with direct light or lots of indirect.

Mini-LED have more apparent contrast in a bright room, due to brighter backlighting. Which is different from black level.

What I said was that you can't take advantage of the difference in black levels in a bright room, and I stick by that statement.

In a bright room I am unable to perceive a difference in the black levels between my WOLED and and mini-LED displays. I'm also unable to perceive the halo'ing of the local dimming on the mini-LED, which is easily visible when used in a dark room.

The reflections off the screen are a factor, but it isn't only that. Brighter ambient light levels also cause your pupils to contract.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Other than the curved screen, what's the difference between the Alienware and the MSI and ASUS?

Alienware is like 400 quid cheaper

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the curved screen, what's the difference between the Alienware and the MSI and ASUS?

Asus one has a kvm, some bfi features and higher power usb pd And the msi does not have Dolby vision, whereas asus one is supposed to get it eventually via an update

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Asus one has a kvm, some bfi features and higher power usb pd And the msi does not have Dolby vision, whereas asus one is supposed to get it eventually via an update
Alienware has DV too? EDIT: Yes, it does

Tbh I don't see why a brit wouldn't go with the AW unless they detest a curved screen so much

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021

The Alienware is the only one which ships with Dolby Vision support.
Asus says they will add DV later and features it on the product page (which is BS).

Alienware is only one with an EARC HDMI port.
It does not have a headphone out or optical out
No video over USB-C. And it only charges with 15 watts.

MSI has headphone out
Asus has headphone and optical

MSI's MPG model and Asus, Both have 90w charging. And video over USB-C.

Alienware has an cooling fan. MSI and Asus are passively cooled.

Asus and MSI have KVM feature

Asus has black frame insertion. But, I don't expect it to be very useful. 1. These features are often not very accurate and 2. QD-OLED probably isn't bright enough to counter the large brightness hit, when using BFI.

Dell let's you return for 1 bright pixel. Other brands, you have to have more than 3 and they have to be more than 15mm apart.

Last edited:

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Wellp, my MPG32 order got cancelled. If it's easily available I think I'm just gonna go with the LG OLED. The stock for these qd oleds has been abysmal.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted yet but apparently a good amount of the new QD-OLED panels (ASUS, MSI ect) are suffering from this PQ tracking issue in peak 1000 mode which essentially results in HDR 400 mode looking brighter in a majority of the scenes.

https://tftcentral.co.uk/articles/t...eak-1000-mode-brightness-on-new-oled-monitors

It was mentioned that it's possibly not an issue with every Samsung panel in these 2024 QD-OLEDs but from the models he's tested plus other people picking up on the same issue this might be happening to yours. My 321URX comes in today so I'll probably just rock the 400 for now until a firmware update hopefully takes care of this.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How far do you guys sit from these 32 inchers? I feel like 27 is kinda my limit and already borderline too big

I could easily use a 32" right in my face on my desk. I don't want to, because I would have to buy two new monitors because I'm not dealing with two different sizes in my face, but I could

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
How far do you guys sit from these 32 inchers? I feel like 27 is kinda my limit and already borderline too big
Fairly close on my Alienware one. Felt similarly at first about 32 inch, but somehow it's really no biggie with this screen whether I'm close to it or leaning back. I think the curve might help a bit with being close to it, since it's easier to have everything in field of vision

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The monitor I use is nearly 10 years old, so I've been eyeballing the MPG 321URX QD-OLED as a nice hefty upgrade.

Problem is that RTing's review for the MPG 271QRX QD-OLED, which I assume is the 27" 1440p version of the exact same display, has pretty fucking atrocious latency at lower refresh rates, particularly with VRR.

Native (No VRR)Input Lag
360Hz2.8 ms
120Hz15.3 ms
60Hz24.4 ms

The MSI MPG 271QRX has very low input lag at its max refresh rate, and at 240Hz, it also has a low input lag of 3.4 ms. However, at 120Hz and 60Hz, it has considerably more input lag than other comparable monitors, like the Dell Alienware AW2725DF. Additionally, when VRR is turned on, the input lag increases substantially, as you can see in the table below:

VRR Refresh RateInput Lag
360Hz4.8 ms
120Hz28.9 ms
60Hz48.2 ms

Unless I'm misreading or misunderstanding something, this is a pretty big what the fuck for me. I am far more likely to use a 4K VRR monitor at lower refresh rates as I crank the bells and whistles of many games that I'll be comfortable seeing through at ~60fps. Other stuff, like Battlefield, will sit at closer to ~144Hz (like my current monitor). But even so, I'd like to enable GSync / VRR to clean up frames, and those input lag spikes are awful.

Am I missing something? Or is this monitor a clear miss if you're not aiming for frames at absurdly high hz?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you need something specific from the MSI one isn't the Alienware significantly cheaper in Straya anyway?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The monitor I use is nearly 10 years old, so I've been eyeballing the MPG 321URX QD-OLED as a nice hefty upgrade.

Problem is that RTing's review for the MPG 271QRX QD-OLED, which I assume is the 27" 1440p version of the exact same display, has pretty fucking atrocious latency at lower refresh rates, particularly with VRR.

Native (No VRR)Input Lag
360Hz2.8 ms
120Hz15.3 ms
60Hz24.4 ms

The MSI MPG 271QRX has very low input lag at its max refresh rate, and at 240Hz, it also has a low input lag of 3.4 ms. However, at 120Hz and 60Hz, it has considerably more input lag than other comparable monitors, like the Dell Alienware AW2725DF. Additionally, when VRR is turned on, the input lag increases substantially, as you can see in the table below:

360Hz4.8 ms
120Hz28.9 ms
60Hz48.2 ms

Unless I'm misreading or misunderstanding something, this is a pretty big what the fuck for me. I am far more likely to use a 4K VRR monitor at lower refresh rates as I crank the bells and whistles of many games that I'll be comfortable seeing through at ~60fps. Other stuff, like Battlefield, will sit at closer to ~144Hz (like my current monitor). But even so, I'd like to enable GSync / VRR to clean up frames, and those input lag spikes are awful.

Am I missing something? Or is this monitor a clear miss if you're not aiming for frames at absurdly high hz?
If you are set on buying the MSI 32 inch one, then maybe wait until the review for the 4K panel is out, perhaps it has better values. Otherwise, looking at the RTINGS review for the Alienware one, that one has only a 13 ms lag at 60FPS, with VRR (I think). I understand that the MSI one is quite a bit cheaper in the US, though, so perhaps it's still worth it at that lower price.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
If you are set on buying the MSI 32 inch one, then maybe wait until the review for the 4K panel is out, perhaps it has better values. Otherwise, looking at the RTINGS review for the Alienware one, that one has only a 13 ms lag at 60FPS, with VRR (I think). I understand that the MSI one is quite a bit cheaper in the US, though, so perhaps it's still worth it at that lower price.

Oh sorry, my priority is the 4K version, so I'm waiting for reviews. I'm just assuming the panels will be basically the same, and whatever issues the 1440p version has the 4K one probably will too.

I'm not in a rush, so I'll squiz my options. Thanks!

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017

Oh sorry, my priority is the 4K version, so I'm waiting for reviews. I'm just assuming the panels will be basically the same, and whatever issues the 1440p version has the 4K one probably will too.

I'm not in a rush, so I'll squiz my options. Thanks!
There's a good amount of reviews for it and it doesn't have the same issue the 27" has at lower refresh rates as its basically the same at all refresh rates as it should be. The gaming bit starts at 7 minutes. All the other reviews so far on the monitor basically mirror this one.

youtu.be

32" 4K OLED Gaming is here and it's amazing! - MSI MPG321URX Review

The brand new and very competitively priced 32” 4K 240Hz OLED monitor from MSI. Offering an extremely impressive spec and set of features, at an attractive p...

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to get in on the this next year, I can justify waiting for next years models because I dont think my current setup would really make the most out of a 240hz screen yet. Really wonder what we can see next year, going to need a beefy upgrade.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
There's a good amount of reviews for it and it doesn't have the same issue the 27" has at lower refresh rates as its basically the same at all refresh rates as it should be. The gaming bit starts at 7 minutes. All the other reviews so far on the monitor basically mirror this one.

youtu.be

32" 4K OLED Gaming is here and it's amazing! - MSI MPG321URX Review

The brand new and very competitively priced 32” 4K 240Hz OLED monitor from MSI. Offering an extremely impressive spec and set of features, at an attractive p...

Oh wow, this is a wild difference.

Screenshot-2024-04-17-203918.png

Screenshot-2024-04-17-203911.png

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

You always run VRR displays at the maximum refresh rate.
You don't do 138 FPS at 144Hz, you do 138 FPS at 360Hz.

Same thing would apply for 60 FPS games. You run the panel at 360Hz, not 60Hz.
VRR will synchronize to the refresh rate by itself; but it's still scanning out at 2.7ms (1000/360) rather than 16.7ms (1000/60).

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The LG monitor they returned was a WOLED monitor not QD-OLED. Remember that there are two OLED technologies competing in this space. Not just QD-OLED. QD-OLED is superior when it comes to it's tech and picture quality.
It's WOLED vs another WOLED.

Get off the crazy pills lol.
It's more the comments, talking about how a C4 beats all these new monitors

Like they're all good but aren't QD's factually brighter?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Brightness is a complex thing.
If you're comparing like-for-like, sure - bigger number better.

But you have to factor in surface area when you're comparing a 27" monitor to a 42" television.
Even if it's a 260 nit monitor vs a 160 nit television, the TV has a 42% larger surface area.
So in relative terms, that brings the impact of the display to something more like "230 nits" vs the monitor's 260.

What we really need is for LG to bring MLA panels to that size.
Then again, I don't see televisions pushing beyond 144Hz unless they start to include more than HDMI inputs - and we're already at 4K240 now on the latest monitors.

Oct 29, 2017

It is, but manufacturers can mess with stuff. Monitors have quite different characteristics image profiles and setups compared to TVs.

ABL and cooling are both very different for TVs, where manufacturers mainly aim for movies/shows. Even between TVs, where Sony is using the same QDOLED panel that Samsung does, Sony puts quite beefy heatsinks on, and that does affect the image and sustained brightness quite a bit.

Not surprised that there is a difference.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017

Monitor makers are more conservative with pushing their monitors due to burn in. TV makers push the brightness much higher because they don't think people would be using these TVs for work. Also smaller surface area so less heat dissipation.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I haven't been that impressed with my 27" QD-OLED in terms of HDR. I thought it had to do with screen size, but then remembered how good HDR looks on my Galaxy S23 Ultra. It doesn't seem as bright as my Sony A90J or LG G2 which according to specs this should be at least as good if not better. I think what it comes down to is tone mapping and on monitors this aspect might lag behind. It's good to have a monitor that has great colors and no blooming though so I'll probably keep it for the SDR performance.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017

Native (No VRR)Input Lag
360Hz2.8 ms
120Hz15.3 ms
60Hz24.4 ms

360Hz4.8 ms
120Hz28.9 ms
60Hz48.2 ms

It's pretty wild to me, I took it as it must be some kind of bug because the 32"(which I have) has no such problem. I would not recommend this monitor (27") to any gamer with this kind of performance if it isn't. Even if you had a 4090 and only played Esports titles you're just not getting the proper value out of it for the price.

Last edited:

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Do any of you calibrate your monitors? The MPG 321URX from what reviews show SDR/RGB mode is pretty accurate and HDR mode is also pretty accurate but I'm just wondering if it's worth getting them both to an excellent level. I'm not too unfamiliar with the idea as I had my C9 professionally calibrated, and it was definitely worth it I'm just not sure here. I would do it myself if I knew how assuming it wasn't like $400-500 to do.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Brightness is a complex thing.
If you're comparing like-for-like, sure - bigger number better.

But you have to factor in surface area when you're comparing a 27" monitor to a 42" television.
Even if it's a 260 nit monitor vs a 160 nit television, the TV has a 42% larger surface area.
So in relative terms, that brings the impact of the display to something more like "230 nits" vs the monitor's 260.

What we really need is for LG to bring MLA panels to that size.
Then again, I don't see televisions pushing beyond 144Hz unless they start to include more than HDMI inputs - and we're already at 4K240 now on the latest monitors.

Yup, there's so many factors. Like monitors are also designed to have zero processing for the best input lag, while TVs will still have some processing on even in game mode. To my eye, I enjoy the picture quality in HDR of my C9 with a 2024 replaced panel compared to the Alienware QD-OLED of this year. Not that I'm complaining, it's a 360hz powerhouse.

Do any of you calibrate your monitors? The MPG 321URX from what reviews show SDR/RGB mode is pretty accurate and HDR mode is also pretty accurate but I'm just wondering if it's worth getting them both to an excellent level. I'm not too unfamiliar with the idea as I had my C9 professionally calibrated, and it was definitely worth it I'm just not sure here. I would do it myself if I knew how assuming it wasn't like $400-500 to do.

Unless you're watching movies on it constantly or doing professional colour work, I wouldn't bother. PC Games won't benefit that much.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Most HDR displays have very limited options for calibration.
You can maybe adjust the white balance a bit - to match another display by eye, but you rarely have the ability to calibrate the PQ response (gamma equivalent).
And even when you do (LG televisions) that control is very limited.

So you really need to buy a set that has accurate PQ tracking right out of the box.
And probably good factory white balance calibration too - since most consumer-grade meters struggle with OLED and other wide-gamut panels.

WOLED screens are only brighter when it comes to displaying white in HDR. For colours QD-OLED is brighter.

image.png
It's a bit more complicated than that.
  • QD-OLED's color brightness advantage really only manifests below 10% average picture level - so it mainly applies to small areas of color, like bright LEDs/lasers in a dark scene.
  • WOLED is brighter (for white) in the 10-25% range - which is where a lot of HDR content sits.
Once you get above 25% APL or so, they're both very similar.

QD-OLED white vs color brightness vs APL.
WOLED white vs color brightness vs APL.

QD-OLED can still get quite a bit more saturated (a different metric than brightness) but most HDR video content is mastered for P3 - which WOLED already has full coverage of.
Most games don't actually have assets that go beyond BT.709 - though many (like Ori and the Will of the Wisps) apply a saturation boost by default in their HDR mode to make things look more vibrant. But that's not "real" color range - it's equivalent to turning up the color control on your TV.

But QD-OLED has a lot of room to improve. Other than the subpixel arrangement, the panels themselves have not really changed much from Gen 1 to Gen 3.
  • There's been a lot of hype around blue phosphorescent OLEDs in recent months, and that could bring a substantial improvement in brightness for them (since QD-OLEDs use a blue panel). Hopefully it doesn't negatively affect response times.
  • Unless it's blocked by patents, they could potentially implement their own MLA solution too - which can boost brightness by a further 50-100%.
  • And it would be nice if they looked into improved surface treatments to try and prevent the reflections/washout in bright lighting conditions - similar to the new matte panel of the S95D television. I'm very interested in seeing how that compares to previous QD-OLEDs or WOLEDs.

I haven't been that impressed with my 27" QD-OLED in terms of HDR. I thought it had to do with screen size, but then remembered how good HDR looks on my Galaxy S23 Ultra. It doesn't seem as bright as my Sony A90J or LG G2 which according to specs this should be at least as good if not better. I think what it comes down to is tone mapping and on monitors this aspect might lag behind. It's good to have a monitor that has great colors and no blooming though so I'll probably keep it for the SDR performance.
Mobile OLEDs are actually really good in many ways.
I've not measured it myself, but I recall hearing that the Steam Deck OLED can do 800 nits full-screen brightness in HDR.
That's three times brighter than any of the current high-end monitors!

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Picked up the LG 32 OLED through Best Buy, fuck it. Pick it up on Tuesday, seems like stock is plentiful for this one. 🙏🏽