• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Watched the Spiderman Homecoming UHD yesterday. Have to say, it looked rather good. Nice HDR, some scenes looked stunning. It's a 2k upscale unfortunately, so it's not as sharp as I would like it to be. Still very good picture quality with very nice colors and effects.
The movie itself was also enjoyable, I like the main character and the performance of the actor. Likable characters and good action. And I appreciate that it wasn't as cringeworthy as I expected from a story about a school kid with powers.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The race in Ready Player One is probably the best sounding demo scene I've heard since the first big ship battle in Master and Commander.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not the kind of film I expected this early in the format, but I'll certainly take it!

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking at the reviews for people who got the Predator 4K collection on Bluray.com and they are calling it the definitive release for the first film.

Which is great news after the DVNR Blu Ray we've been stuck with for years. I plan on stopping at Best Buy tomorrow to pick it up after work.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matrix Trilogy 4K 2/10 (U.S), 3/10 (France), 18/10 (Germany)

German Cover
ltBT44Tn.jpg

Cs46naBk.jpg
In other 4K Blu-ray news

-Shutter Island 8/10 (UK)

Available for pre-order (Germany)

- The Fog (1980) 25/10

- They Live (1988) 25/10

- Prince of Darkness (1987) 25/10

- Cliffhanger (1993) 8/11

4K of a 16mm film? This sounds like Lionsgate is hoping to cash in on thoughtless double dippers.

As much as I love the film, I'm very incredulous on the need for this.
There's the (German) 4K Blu-ray of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (SDR), although that disc seems to have encoding issues.The 4K SDR version is also available on iTunes.

Last edited:

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
The Predator movies release today on 4k, but will likely be pains in the ass to find. Shame because impressions on the first two are incredibly positive.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
The Predator movies release today on 4k, but will likely be pains in the ass to find. Shame because impressions on the first two are incredibly positive.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to hunt them down!

I really want UHD discs to become the standard asap. It was a pain in the.. to find Disneys Coco in UHD because it didn't release here in Europe. I had to buy it from Canada (it was the cheapest option).

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
The Predator movies release today on 4k, but will likely be pains in the ass to find.
Yep, there is not a Best Buy within 250 miles of having the Predator Trilogy on 4K UHD Blu-Ray. It's not a must-own for me, but it's still discouraging that if I want a 4K UHD Blu-Ray on release I have to preorder it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
oooh 3 movie predator deal for $41 at target. HMMMM ....

I'm not seeing a listing for it on their site. Where did you find that deal?

Edit: Odd it doesn't come up with the search but below the search results, it shows up as people often buy. It looks like it's not in stock online or in store though.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, there is not a Best Buy within 250 miles of having the Predator Trilogy on 4K UHD Blu-Ray. It's not a must-own for me, but it's still discouraging that if I want a 4K UHD Blu-Ray on release I have to preorder it.

Just an FYI, if a Best Buy is carrying 3 or less of something in-store, it won't be listed as in stock online. Virtually every time I see a 4K listed as "out of stock", one or two end up being in stock.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not seeing a listing for it on their site. Where did you find that deal?

Edit: Odd it doesn't come up with the search but below the search results, it shows up as people often buy. It looks like it's not in stock online or in store though.

]yeah, it was really weird. I searched predator on target.com and that 3 disk collection popped up. i searched again later (like 3 mins ago) and i couldnt find anything with 4k attached to it unless i looked on a list of what you said.

even the predator 1 in uhd isnt on target's website. this is weird....
(https://www.target.com/p/predator-3-movie-collection-4k-uhd/-/A-53849846) had to dig for it, but found it...

Last edited:
OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Trying out the LG UP875 4K player that I got last Friday on the 1080p HDTV and the STR-DH550 receiver in my room with a 4K disc. Looks great. I was worried that the HDR to SDR conversion would cause a problem, but nope, all is good. It looks nice and sharp, very clean, and the colors and contrast look good.

Sound is better here since the two 4K TVs (neither of which are mine) don't have good audio solutions right now...one has a 5.1 home theater in a box setup from 2004 connected via analogue stereo output from the 4K TV, and the other is just using the TV speakers. I tried the optical digital audio output from the 4K player on that old sound system, but it only works properly with Dolby tracks, which get downscaled to Dolby Digital 5.1. I just get an error with DTS tracks. Heh. It's my younger brother's setup, and he's hoping to move out soon, so I'm not gonna spend any money on that. The other is the family room TV, which my grandma is using almost the entire day to watch Spanish soap operas, and I doubt I'll be able to put a sound system down there. Heh.

I think I'll make the 4K player the main player in my room if/once my younger brother moves out. I'll use it in the family room if someone else wants to watch a movie there.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want the Predator trilogy, but it's only ~$15 more than just the first one.

But still...

I hope like The Matrix, it drops in price pretty quickly.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I might get the Predator trilogy during a good sale...or maybe wait for a set after The Predator if it turns out good. I'm in no rush to buy them again.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
it's up there for sure. mine is still the opening scene to quantum of solace. pure chaos.

Quantum's opening was amazing soundwise. I experienced it in some crazy Audio setup in some Sony trailer at a convention and was blown away. Despite not digging Quantum fully, I knew I needed it in my collection for that scene.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
As an AppleTV owner, this is frustrating, inconvenient to switch to Vudu or some other service to get the 4K version. I wonder what the difference is between what they are offering and what Disney wants.
As a Canadian it's doubly frustrating, because I have almost no way of getting some of these films in 4K. Apple and Disney need to figure their shit out.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
So yeah Predator is a great looking disc. Good lord. Gunshots, explosions, and fires look absolutely amazing. The jungle has great highlights from the sun peeking through the trees and shadows on the ground. Hell I kinda got distracted every now and then focusing on sweat beads.

On to 2.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Predator is of mankind's best creations, and I've always been interested in checking out the sequel, but I'm not up for spending fifty bucks right now.

I wanna wait for a sale, but I'm afraid the trilogy will go out of print or something lol

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Quantum's opening was amazing soundwise. I experienced it in some crazy Audio setup in some Sony trailer at a convention and was blown away. Despite not digging Quantum fully, I knew I needed it in my collection for that scene.

It's funny actually, when I bought my Velodyne sub 8 years the start of Quantum of Solace was used by the shop as an in store demo to me.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, first time posting here
so... is the new Predator release on bluray (not 4k) the same ultimate hunter edition just repacked?
I've only found info on the 4k version but I don't know if I should get the regular bluray trilogy (since is cheap right now) or wait to get the 4k release later when I make the jump to 4k?

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Hey guys, first time posting here
so... is the new Predator release on bluray (not 4k) the same ultimate hunter edition just repacked?
I've only found info on the 4k version but I don't know if I should get the regular bluray trilogy (since is cheap right now) or wait to get the 4k release later when I make the jump to 4k?
It's just the Ultimate Hunter Edition repackaged. The regular Blu-ray trilogy and all other new Blu-ray releases reuse the old discs.

The only way to see the new transfers is by getting the 4K discs. You can use a 4K Blu-ray player on a 1080p screen if you want to watch them there.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's just the Ultimate Hunter Edition repackaged. The regular Blu-ray trilogy and all other new Blu-ray releases reuse the old discs.

The only way to see the new transfers is by getting the 4K discs. You can use a 4K Blu-ray player on a 1080p screen if you want to watch them there.
Not quite true. Not all players will tone map HDR to SDR.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
oh well, might as well just get the 4k release of the first movie and wait for the standalone release of the second one, don't really care for Predators.

thanks dudes!

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Not quite true. Not all players will tone map HDR to SDR.
So I've heard, but I haven't seen anything about any specific players not doing so. Thankfully, the LG UP875 that I picked up for $80 last week at Best Buy works just fine on a 1080p TV, so I'm happy about that.
It has to convert HDR to sdr? I always just thought it was a simple metadata thing that just gets toggled on and off by the tv or player
I've always heard it has to convert HDR to SDR, but to be honest, I have no real clue what it does. Every review and whatnot just focuses on how everything works on a 4K HDR screen, never 1080p SDR. I could never find much helpful info on the subject.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Predator Collection 4K Blu-ray Review (Blu-ray.com)

Predator 4K Blu-ray Review (AVSForum)

Rambo: First Blood / Rambo: First Blood Part II / Rambo III / Trilogy (1982-1988) 4K Blu-ray(s) available for pre-order (Germany 8/11).

In this article about the 4K restoration of the Fog, it's mentioned that Escape From New York, Carol Reed's The Third Man, Jean Renoir's Grand Illusion, Akira Kurosawa's Ran, and Sam Raimi's Evil Dead 2 have also been restored.Since i mentioned Evil Dead 2, the 4K Blu-ray is available for pre-order in France (30/10) & UK (29/10).

Steelbook cover

11827041-4624595712976521.jpg

Last edited: