• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
dzvfqthvsqal4ms1rwn6.jpg

56. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (XB1) | Jul 21 | 15 Hrs | ★★★★
Quite enjoyed Fallen Order. A few bugs but overall really liked the story and characters. I would very much like to see a sequel.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played some good ass video games
Original Post

8C9rVDu.png
fVboior.png
50IqrPq.png
MbmU1Mn.png

13. Resident Evil 3 (PS4) | April 6th | 4/5
14. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) | Ongoing| 5/5
15. Sonic Mania (Switch) | April 18th | 4/5
16. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic Mega Collection) | April 19th | 3/5

U89cudX.png
rQIZAPS.png
2gHrYCE.png
DRqa6gT.png

17. SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Switch) | April 20th | 3/5
18. SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog (Switch) | April 21st | 4/5
19. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Sonic Mega Collection) | April 21st | 3/5
20. Sonic & Knuckles (Sonic Mega Collection) | April 22nd | 3/5

yHfjYdZ.png
lBZcaZ3.png
z9JzAZH.png
0Vw4PIx.png

21. Sonic CD (PC) | April 22nd | 3/5
22. The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game (PC) | April 24th | 3/5
23. Mission to McDonaldland (PC) | April 26th | 1/5
24. Undersea Adventure (PC) | April 27th | 3/5

VDlYmqT.png
zENv0aW.png
MEL1Pnh.png
arJSCYH.png

25. Akumajō Dracula (Switch) | April 29th | 5/5
26. Akumajō Densetsu (Switch) | April 30th | 4/5
27. SEGA AGES Outrun (Switch) | May 1st | 4/5
28. SEGA AGES Space Harrier (Switch) | May 2nd | 3/5

RiDDmTd.png
AFf3cus.png
dLWZlSX.png
2vRiYgx.png

29. Hot Wheels Stunt Track Driver (PC) | May 3rd | 4/5
30. Sonic Adventure (PC) | May 5th | 2/5
31. Sonic Adventure 2 (PC) | May 6th | 5/5
32. Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard (PC) | May 13th | 3/5

JTuc8jY.png
3s4OX1J.png
8njrWjx.png
Xg1vwVR.png

33. Super Mario 64 (PC Edition) | May 14th | 5/5
34. Stunt Track Driver 2: Get'n Dirty (PC) | May 15th | 5/5
35. I SPY: Treasure Hunt (PC) | May 15th | 3/5
36. SEGA AGES: Virtua Racer (Switch) | May 19th | 3/5

YaMh6L0.png
cJwIdda.png
bCUYfLF.png
04PIlgv.png

37. Sonic Generations (Xbox 360) | May 24th | 2/5
38. Sonic Forces (PS4) | May 25th | 4/5
39. Sonic 3 Complete (Genesis) | May 27th | 5/5
40. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I (PC) | June 1st | 1/5

eXQlLnt.png
ShQjv8u.png
XkAanLF.png
uRNUtjp.png

41. Sonic Blast (Sega Master System) | June 2nd | 1/5
42. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II (PC) | June 3rd | 2/5
43. Sonic Chaos (Sega Master System) | June 3rd | 2/5
44. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Master System) | June 5th | 3/5

l9NtPWR.png
v9gmGi6.png
BYnm4CP.png
ppgpOMj.png

45. Sonic Colors (Wii) | June 10th | 3/5
46. Sonic Triple Trouble (Sega Master System) | June 10th | 2/5
47. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Master System) | June 11th | 2/5
48. Slay the Spire (Switch) | June 16th | 5/5

lOUw4JZ.png
EcP838F.png
hx1UBAJ.png
ltnfd8H.png

49. Sonic Robo Blast 2 (PC) | June 27th | 5/5
50. Pokemon Snap (PC) | June 29th | 4/5
51. Star Fox 64 (PC) | July 1st | 3/5
52. Mega Man 4 (3DS) | July 6th | 4/5

EdcyLwK.png
rZ1m1tm.png
XEELpxp.png
V0paLYa.png

53. Mega Man 2 (3DS) | July 7th | 5/5
54. Zoey 101 (GBA) | July 8th | 3/5
55. Sonic Advance (GBA) | July 9th | 2/5
56. Sonic Advance 2 (GBA) | July 10th | 2/5

pilEC6u.png
vzaW6mS.png
it3QKzU.png

57. Rhythm Tengoku (GBA) | July 10th | 4/5
58. Mega Man (PS4) | July 15th | 2/5
59. Mega Man 3 (3DS) | July 15th | 2/5

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post

-------

17. Defend Your Castle - 3 hours
A remake of an old flash game - it's fun to play for a few hours, but the core gameplay loop is lacking in depth. Technically there's no end in this game and you just trying to survive as long as possible, but it has "beat 50 levels" in-game achievement, so I'll consider it as completed.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
49 | Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
PC Steam | July 23 | 22 hrs | 5/5
vExWiF3.png

Finally got around to playing this one after holding onto it for months...a year now? This challenge is helping me to push myself by finishing games I have put on pause or collecting dust. I'm thankful for that.

In the first chapter I wasn't completely sold. The strange humor, the insane plot that was starting to build, and the crazy environment. It's a very "anime" game and I'm not sure how else to describe it, hah. That's NOT bad but you gotta be prepared for the craziness. The game grew on me after chapter 1.

The humor kind of added an "unsettling" feeling by the mastermind. They would make inappropriate or strange jokes but it was done in this frightening situation that came off as odd. Not a "oh, we're all friends here and having a good time." The plot was getting more strange the further you go. The environment became my favorite part. In these horror/survive genres you usually see gore, blood, and spooky realistic buildings and living areas. While you do see blood in this game, it's a hot pink color. Not a realistic maroon. Most of the rooms in the game are bright, neon colored, and sometimes hold questionable objects. I appreciate the designers thought more than dark, spooky room with blood splatters = scary.

The slight "negatives" were small. There was a lot of character development for most of the characters. Except one...it just felt like something was missing for them. I don't want to go too far into detail in case of spoilers. This port? did some weird things with my saves on Steam. Sometimes my text would be missing on the save file but thankfully everything seemed to save/load correctly.

I say it was definitely worth my time to play. Thinking about the second game now because I've heard even better things from it.

Main Post

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #48 - Donut County
Time: 2 hours
Rating: ★★★★

This was a delight, a super cute puzzle (I guess?) game reminiscent of Katamari (or reverse Katamari if you will) where you play as a hole and you need to eat up various physic-y items throughout the levels as your hole grows to eat up bigger items (hence the Katamari comparison). It's not hard in the slightest, and its pretty short at around 2 hours, but the writing is witty, the visuals are simple but gorgeous (reminds me a lot of Untitled Goose Game) and the idea is really cool, overall if you want a funny and chill original experience, you can't go wrong with Donut County.

Main Post

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
105. Borderlands 2- Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage
106. Borderlands 2- Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep

The Borderlands humor continues to be grating but at least there was some tougher enemies to deal with this time around. Loot remained disappointing sadly :/

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
50 | Guild Wars 2: A Star to Guide Us
PC | July 24 | ~20 hrs | 4/5
qvlpoJH.png

I enjoyed this new zone much more than the previous patch map. It felt more open and exciting with the large rifts. The zone's group events were cool to see with different environments. We're in a desert but when you walk into a rift, suddenly you're inside a mountainous blizzard. There were hints of past battles to witness before Orr fell. I like how creative they got blending the past with the present and different ecos.

There were a handful of collection achievements; however, I honestly have more fun looking for collectibles than hoping I get the item I need thru RNG kills. Which I despise in the last patch. Interested to see how this story is unfolding. It was touching to see Aurene's fears. Let's hope none of those outcomes come true.

Main Post

Lobotomaxx

Dec 30, 2019
Nebraska
34/52

RYE4X9t.jpg

Guild Wars 2: Long Live the Lich | 3/5 | 61 hours | Played with Whimsicalish

A lot of the time played here was on alt characters we made and got to roughly level 40. I think I liked this episode the least from this season so far when it should've been a better conclusion to dealing with the baddie Palawa Joko. You fight and this game does my favorite thing, much like other MMO's:

Much like World of Warcraft, instead of you finishing off a big bad for good, he monologues for awhile and someone else gets the killing blow. In this case, he is eaten by a dragon.

So it was a sort of underwhelming conclusion for an antagonist. I also didn't care for the achievements needed for the meta on this map as they were purely RNG. If we were playing this when it came out and there was no new content, it might not have been as bad. There was just newer stuff we wanted to see quicker.

35/52

PslKdjF.jpg

Guild Wars 2: A Star to Guide Us | 4/5 | 20 hours | Played with Whimsicalish

I liked this episode way better than the previous and it may have been my favorite thus far. With one big bad out of the way, another that has been lurking around comes to the forefront in the way of a giant dragon that is the "Elder Dragon of Crystal and Fury". He sort of turns things into evil crystal versions of themselves and they want to kill stuff. This dragon has been popping up in random places that he shouldn't be able to get to as quickly as he is and we investigate.

A big side activity for this chapter is a sort of safe zone / town that you can send people to and do quests / achievements in. It is instanced so there were no other players which was both good and bad as we would have to do things separately instead of together. I liked how it feels like you're gathering friends and allies in one place before an inevitable showdown with a dragon.

A lot of the achievements for this zone were collecting things or killing things and didn't really rely on RNG which was a nice change as well.

I believe we have two episodes left from this season and then the whole current season as well, so we're well on our way to catching up.

Main Post

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
34/52

RYE4X9t.jpg

Guild Wars 2: Long Live the Lich | 3/5 | 61 hours | Played with Whimsicalish

A lot of the time played here was on alt characters we made and got to roughly level 40. I think I liked this episode the least from this season so far when it should've been a better conclusion to dealing with the baddie Palawa Joko. You fight and this game does my favorite thing, much like other MMO's:

Much like World of Warcraft, instead of you finishing off a big bad for good, he monologues for awhile and someone else gets the killing blow. In this case, he is eaten by a dragon.

So it was a sort of underwhelming conclusion for an antagonist. I also didn't care for the achievements needed for the meta on this map as they were purely RNG. If we were playing this when it came out and there was no new content, it might not have been as bad. There was just newer stuff we wanted to see quicker.

35/52

PslKdjF.jpg

Guild Wars 2: A Star to Guide Us | 4/5 | 20 hours | Played with Whimsicalish

I liked this episode way better than the previous and it may have been my favorite thus far. With one big bad out of the way, another that has been lurking around comes to the forefront in the way of a giant dragon that is the "Elder Dragon of Crystal and Fury". He sort of turns things into evil crystal versions of themselves and they want to kill stuff. This dragon has been popping up in random places that he shouldn't be able to get to as quickly as he is and we investigate.

A big side activity for this chapter is a sort of safe zone / town that you can send people to and do quests / achievements in. It is instanced so there were no other players which was both good and bad as we would have to do things separately instead of together. I liked how it feels like you're gathering friends and allies in one place before an inevitable showdown with a dragon.

A lot of the achievements for this zone were collecting things or killing things and didn't really rely on RNG which was a nice change as well.

I believe we have two episodes left from this season and then the whole current season as well, so we're well on our way to catching up.

Main Post
Remember that time we were fighting a rare crystal Minotaur and then a BIGA*S tornado came through to kill us? Good times.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
60: Zelda II: TheAdventure of Link. End: 7/24/2020. 8 Hours. Liked.

I started a playthrough of this game years ago and just sort of put it to the side. Until now. This is the Zelda game I am the least familiar with (this is only my second time beating this game). This is a difficult game to truly connect with. There's some good stuff here. And some not so good stuff in here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
107. Borderlands 2- Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty
header.jpg

Decided to rush through this with my friend, and it had about a dozen side missions which we skipped due to it involving running around the areas and such.
Managed to reach Lvl. 50 and then beat the NG+ mode of the game...which unlocked NG++ mode which lets us reach Lvl. 72 :V Gonna save that for another year or decade but as is I'd say I am done with the game for now.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original post

60. Super Mario Land (Game Boy) | July 25th - 1hr | 4/5

wk1GD0J.png

One of my favorite Game Boy games. It ticks all the boxes-- good visuals, stands out from the crowd, and is nice and short. I know a lot of people prefer the later Mario Lands, but this is one of the quintessential Game Boy games to me (along with Kirby's Dream Land). I love how weird is. Exploding koopas, maoi statues, the spider cave, the bamboo forest where you are attacked by jiangshi instead of dry bones... it almost seems like a direct predecessor to Super Mario Odyssey in a way. I'm always happy to jump in for a quick run.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
108. Procyon
header.jpg

A pretty simple shoot'em-up. There are no upgrades and it is more score centric and it includes a shield that replenishes over time that you can utilize to negate enemy shots.
Pretty decent game overall, and I like the narrator general's hilarious comments...which usually involve him bringing up how surprised he is you've survived this long through all those alien battles :V

bloodgate

Dec 18, 2019
Iowa
Main Post

35. Shining Force 2 - Genesis / PS4
After playing and loving Shining in the Darkness, it was time to finally play the game that has eluded me since childhood: Shining Force II. They didn't sell this anywhere near where I lived when it came out, and I avoided playing it for so long. So, so long. I am so happy I finally played through it. Such a wonderful game and experience. It was like getting to re-experience the magic of playing through Shining Force 1, just nearly 30 years later. Loved it.

36. Chasm - PS4
I picked this up during one of the many sales since quarantine began. I remember when it was released, it looked like an interesting Metroidvania and I love me some Metroidvanias. This one did not disappoint. It is a love letter to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, while throwing in a little D&D flourish and a bit of Spelunky (not much). There are decent secrets and puzzles, along with fun combat all around. The variety of combat is somewhat lacking, but it did not detract from the experience. I would recommend this game to any fan of the Metroidvania style.

I'm closing in on finally playing through the Resident Evil series blind and I'm both nervous and excited. Next up, however, is CrossCode and Death Stranding.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
R5AbivH.png

15. Days Gone - 6/10
Days Gone is a worthy addition to the list of enjoyable exclusives Sony has released this generation. It features a wide range of (mostly) well written characters and is set in a beautiful open world. While the gameplay of stealth, combat and driving is rather basic, it does the job. Where the game rises above some of its mediocre foundations is in the storytelling and characterization. You get to spend time with all the characters in the game, do jobs for them and uncover their motivations in this post-apocalyptic setting. While it takes the game some time to get up to speed, once you get to Lost Lake the story really draws you in.

I must admit there were significant parts of this game that I did not enjoy. The game is already large enough without the need to fill the map with useless challenges such as clearing bandit or zombie camps. While the driving is enjoyable, snipers destroying your bike or wolves dragging you from your bike most decidedly is not. And finally the game did outstay its welcome and I feel like either the first camps or the last camps could have had their time in the spotlight significantly reduced.

I think Days Gone is a solid foundation for a sequel (which is hinted at in the ending) but Bend Studios should try to invest more in what makes Days Gone unique (the hordes and bikes) and less in filling the map with mediocre activities.

7JESOxu.png

16. Alien Isolation - 10/10
I completed the game initially at launch in 2014 and was blown away both by the art design, the atmosphere and the concept of the sole alien stalking you throughout the space station. I'm glad to say that six years later the game still holds up extremely well, both in the graphical and the gameplay department. This time I played on a harder difficulty and went for a completionist playthrough, which made everything even more tense than usual.

The game looks phenomenal and does an excellent job of immersing you in the Sevastopol space station. You really get the feeling that not so long ago this was a place where people went about their miserable days in preparation for scrapping the station and losing their livelyhood. Every area, from the med bay to the factory to the living quarters were created with an immense amount to detail and if I didn't have an alien on my tail most of the game I would have surely spent a lot longer in the game staring at the art and environments.

A common criticism of Isolation is that the game is too long. I don't think that's the case. There is a long intro that allows you to settle in Sevastopol before shaking it up in the Med Bay and introducing you to the alien. This turns into a cat and mouse game in which you falsely think you have won, giving you several much needed hours of reprieve, before shocking you with the very unpleasant reality that there are multiple aliens on board. I personally think the game does a great job with its pacing and with alternating tense moments with more relaxing ones. Granted, the former occur much more as this is still a horror game that does not rely upon jump scares but upon pitting your mental wits against a constant tension. Alien Isolation is an exhausting game and I find it difficult to play it longer than an hour at a time for this reason. This is in no way an indictment of the game but rather the opposite as it makes Alien Isolation one of the most oppressive, stressful and, yes, best games of the generation.

b1DpQhm.png

17. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - 5/10
Never having played the original game or one of its sequels, I was quite excited to dive in this series. Xenoblade Chronicles presents you with a cast of (mostly) compelling characters who set out on a path of revenge for their fallen comrades. You start with meeting the various cultures of the Bionis: the Homs, the Nopon and the High Entia and it seems like you are acting as a sort of ambassador to cement an alliance against the Mechon. Over the course of the game the tone shifts significantly. however and before you know it you are fighting beings several ranks above your paygrade. Dethroning god with the power of friendship is a common occurrence in anime JRPGs and Xenoblade Chronicles is sadly also a victim of this trope. At least the first half of the story isn't too bad.

The best part of the game involves your companions, who are mostly likeable and have their own unique personalities. Reyn is the archetype of a loyal (yet slightly stupid) dog. Riki is a bit egoistical but ultimately cares and has a funny rivalry with Reyn going. Shulk is a bit of a Mary Sue character and has Fiora and Melia thirsting after him. Dunban acts mostly as the dad of the group. Although the system of affinity is an interesting concept, the static heart-to-hearts are a very bad implementation of something that should have simply been a conversation system. In the end I only saw about three heart-to-hearts because by the time I had unlocked the required affinity, I didn't want to spend my time backtracking to those positions. Absolute nonsense and I'm disappointed that it made me miss out on fleshing out of some relationships.

The combat system is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it works, but often the game also throws roadblocks in your way and forces you to either go complete some side-quests or grind monsters for experience. Your character level is usually more significant than battle tactics. This also made me switch the gameplay to casual mode near the end as I didn't really look forward to grinding several more levels, even though I had been completing quite a large share of the side-quests. A bit frustrating, although there were definitely some enjoyable boss fights as well. Which is a good summation of the game: a mixed bag.

1. Death Stranding (PS4) | 1st Jan - 50 hrs | 4
2. God of War (PS4) | 25th Jan - 30 hrs | 8
3. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch) | 17th Mar - 20 hrs | 6
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) | 6th Apr - 60 hrs | 5
5. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (PC) | 9th Apr - 20 hrs | 8
6. A Plague Tale: Innocence (PC) | 27th Apr - 10 hrs | 6
7. DOOM Eternal (PC) | 28th Apr - 25 hrs | 7
8. Darksiders III (PC) | 3th May - 20 hrs | 7
9. Metro Exodus (PC) | 9th May - 20 hrs | 6
10. The Surge 2 (PC) | 15th May - 25 hrs | 8
11. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (PC) | 6th June - 120 hrs | 9
12. The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) | 16th June - 20 hrs | 7
13. The Last of Us Part II (PS4)| 28th June - 40 hrs | 9
14. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered (PS4)| 4th July - 15 hrs | 5
15. Days Gone (PS4)| 15th July - 80 hrs | 6
16. Alien Isolation (PS4)| 17th July - 30 hrs | 10
17. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (Switch)| 27th July - 60 hrs | 5

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post

-------

18. Nancy Drew Dossier: Lights, Camera, Curses! - 2 hours
Interesting attempt to make Hidden Object Game about Nancy Drew. I like that they've tried to mix up typical HOG gameplay with minigames and "pick the right dialogue option" bits. Though it's kinda short and those time limits at the end very annoying, but overall I've enjoyed playing it. Get it on sale if you like this type of games.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

Weekly Update 30: Nothing finished this week again. I might finish one or both of the games mentioned below this week.

Currently Playing:

1. Ghost of Tsushima - Currently on Act 2 and really enjoying the world. I thought I'd miss the lack of mini map, but the way they use the wind is not making me miss it.

2. Fallout 76 - For all the glitches/bugs that the game has the world itself is a wonder to explore. The addition of human NPC's has also helped improve the world. All in all feels like a step in the right direction from the disaster that was launch.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
52. Yakuza 6: The Song Of Life - 30/07/2020

I didn't hate it, but it's a pretty weak conclusion to the story of such an iconic character. Its one saving grace is the focus on Kiryu himself which the series has never really done.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
109. Battle Circuit
1302278-405px_battlecircuitart.png

Played this with my brother on PS4 and I quite enjoyed it. Great visuals and the upgrade system is nice.
Solid beat'em-up all around and has some of my fav. designs from a Capcom game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
UgvzOTG.jpg

Game #49 - Picross S
Time: 25 hours
Rating: ★★★★

As usual, Jupiter's Picross games are the best in the business, and this is no exception, its fantastic, it only lacks content. You only get normal puzzles and mega-puzzles, no colored ones for example like the later entries. Still, a ton of content between the normal and the mega versions, so if you like picross and can't get enough, its a easy recomendation, but there are better entries in the series.

Main Post

Lobotomaxx

Dec 30, 2019
Nebraska
36/52

tgKIan4.jpg

Battle Chasers: Nightwar | Steam | 2.5/5 | 27 hours

If you like grinding in videogames, friends, do I have the game for you. It reminds me of older JRP's with three party members in turn based battles. It does sort of have the same interface on the side of the screen during battles like in the Legend of Heroes games that show the next attacks and who they're coming from. Depending on what attacks you use will change the order.

You crash land on an island and are basically trying to find a way off of it. While there are multiple characters, I basically stuck with the initial 3 the game gives you which I ended up using as a tank/damage/healer combo. I'm sure some of my problem wasn't experimenting more with the other characters but I just sort of got bored. The game is semi-short on story and very long on battles. There was a Borderlands like grinding mechanic where you killed a certain number of a certain type of enemy to unlock bonuses for your whole party but it didn't really do anything for me. More than once I couldn't progress the main story because I would just get rolled by enemies in the dungeons and I'd have to go beat previous dungeons on harder difficulties to level up. I'm sure there are some people that will love this but it wasn't for me.

Main Post

Oct 27, 2017
39. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze | 30th Jul | 5/5

DKC:TF is the game everyone says it is - a game with wonderful music, animations, and art; creative level designs that make use of all of those things; classic controls made just a bit more fluid than in previous iterations; and somewhat frustrating boss battles. The only complaint I have about the game is how few opportunities within one of those battles the player has to deal damage. Miss a tiny window, and you have to repeat a cycle. It drags. But what a game where that's my only complaint!

Even though he took me more tries to defeat than Ornstein and Smough, the polar bear juice factory boss is fucking adorable and I was sad every time I watched him lose his popsicle. He's just lying down, vibing on his ill-gotten juice gains and DK bumbles in to fuck up his shit. What a shame. They should be buds.

Main Post

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Master Post

Update #013

63. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando | Playstation 2 (PCSX2) | Completed 02/07/2020 | ★★★

In my memory I thought I liked Going Commando a lot more than the original game but, on revisiting it, I just don't think that's true anymore. The sequel improves on a lot of things. It introduces a rudimentary experience system for upgrading your health and also upgrading your weapons the more you use them, which incentivises you to vary your weapon usage in a way that the original just didn't do. And the weapons are all a lot more fun pretty much across the board. But I thought the overall level design was a lot weaker than the original and, maybe most frustrating of all, I just found the combat to be significantly less fun. So many enemies are just a grind to fight now, with the difficulty being increased by just making so many enemies so much spongier than they were in the original. It just made encounters boring and, by the end of the game, I was just running past almost everything I could to reach the level's goal.

It's still a fun game and is by no means bad, but after being so fresh off of the original it really highlights how weak the moment to moment gameplay feels in comparison.

64. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal | Playstation 2 (PCSX2) | Completed 08/07/2020 | ★★★★★

I've been trying to space out the Ratchet games as I play through them so I don't burn out, but I just truly could not wait to play this game. It's one of the most purely fun games I've ever played. If Going Commando leaned into being more difficult than this game goes the other way. It chooses to be light and fun over giving a real challenge and, for Ratchet games in particular, if you are going to lean further on one side of the scale this is the side I want it to be on. It's also the game that just establishes so much of the things about Ratchet that have become iconic. It's the first appearance of Secret Agent Clank, the rehabilitation of Captain Qwark and the formation of the Q-Force. And, most importantly, it's the first appearance of Dr. Nefarious who is one of the most underrated antagonists in video game history. His design is so good and the comic banter between him and his robot butler guy is still funny today. This is also the first game that has a more traditional story structure and it allowed the characters to shine so much more. It's easily the best written game of the original trilogy and feels focused beyond just cutscenes used as a justification to get to the next world. It's a lot more combat focused with less platforming than the previous games and, while it's not necessarily noticeable in a vacuum, playing the first three games in close succession really just highlighted how a lot of this game is just combat arena to combat arena, which would probably be the only real criticism of the game that I have. I really love this game and, unless there are some surprises in the PS3 games that I haven't played before, I think it might really be the high point of the series for me.

65. Ratchet: Deadlocked | Playstation 2 (PCSX2) | Completed 10/07/2020 | ★★★

I truly just cannot stop playing Ratchet and Clank games. This was my first time playing Deadlocked and I really didn't know what to expect. I know it was more combat focused (which, coming off of Up Your Arsenal's increased focus on combat, it makes a lot of sense) and that was really it. And, to be fair, that's kind of all it is. It's just a world filled with half a dozen or so combat challenges, with some vehicle combat sections and races mixed in for *a little* variety. For what this is it's pretty fun, but it feels so incongruous when you look at the games that came before it. Especially when you look at the weapons that came before it. Deadlocked feels like it has less weapons than the average Ratchet game, but instead it introduces a more robust weapon modding mechanic to make the crazier aspect of the weapon effects more DIY. It's a good concept but in execution I just found the one status mod early for each weapon I used and just didn't experiment with it at all. It's a fun game for what it is, but it feels like a compromised experience. The combat doesn't feel more involved or strategic than it would in a mainline game, so that being the only focus just sort of inadvertently points out all of the things that you're missing out on.

66. Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters | Playstation 2 (PCSX2) | Completed 13/07/2020 | ★★

I really didn't like this game very much, but it's almost as if I can't trust my own experience. I played a PS2 port of a PSP game on a PS2 emulator, so I don't know if they fault lies in the emulation or in the port of if it's just inherent to the game itself. Size Matters just feels bad to play. There is a snappiness to the movement of Ratchet games that I think up until now I have taken for granted. Playing this game is just so frustrating. The movement is just so slow and imprecise. The platforming feels atrocious with jumps feeling like the just stop all forward momentum in mid-air. And the camera is constantly so tight that you really have no peripheral vision in combat. There were some high points in this game, though. I thought some of the level design was incredibly cool and inventive, especially stuff like the Dreamscape level and when you're exploring inside of Clank. And the space combat stuff with Giant Clank was a lot of fun, it reminded me a lot of the early gummi ship levels in Kingdom Hearts which I always liked a lot. But overall it's just kind of disappointing because, out of all of the games that I haven't played before in this franchise, this was one of the games I was looking forward to the most, and I am coming away from it with it easily being my least favourite so far.

67. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction | Playstation 3| Completed 25/07/2020 | ★★★

I really liked the first few hours of this game. It feels so tight and fast, especially coming off of Size Matters, but about half way through I kind of just fell off of it. The action is good, but I think it has some of the more boring level design in the series, which hurts the moment to moment feeling of the game. The other big issue I have with it is that it feels super over written. I've always enjoyed that narratives of Ratchet games, even in a game like Deadlocked where it is super thin, but something about Tools of Destruction feels too dense. It's trying to tell a larger story, which I think is a fantastic idea in theory, but the execution just feels boring and convoluted. It's the first Ratchet game I've played where I've kind of just zoned out in the cut scenes or whenever anyone was talking. It also feels a lot less funny, with most of it's humour coming from Qwark being a bumbling idiot and a kind of slapstick, inept supervillain. Which, again, in theory is fine, but this is the sixth game in a row where this has all felt the same, and this definitely feels like a weaker version of that. It might not help that I've been playing these all so close together, but I think in a vacuum it would still not feel as fresh or as funny as the previous games in the series. It's still good, but as the first big game after the generation jump it just feels kind of disappointing to me.

68. SUPERHOT | PC | Completed 26/07/2020 | ★★★★

I knew that SUPERHOT had a meta story, but I didn't really know what it was and I was really surprised that it was far and away my favourite part of the game. I liked the puzzle-like gameplay enough, it's fun and when you get a good flow it's pretty satisfying, but it didn't really hook me as much as I thought that it would. If it weren't for the story, which is just so engaging and fun, I don't know that I would have enjoyed just going through level after level. Building the idea of spreading word of mouth and encouraging others to play the game into the narrative is such a fun idea and it's so well executed. Even though people have said so much about SUPERHOT since it's release it was really refreshing that this was still kind of a surprise to me.

69. Streets of Rage 4 | PC | Completed 29/07/2020 | ★★★★

I am comically bad at 2D beat 'em ups, so I just had to go through this on easy after getting my butt handed to me just on normal. Games like this are the kinds of games where I just can't believe people can be so good at them and breeze through it on higher difficulties. Even though I am actively bad at it, I still had a ton of fun. The look of this game is just perfect, it's the kind of thing you just need to see one screenshot of to be sold on. And the music might even be better, a modern synth soundtrack that totally holds up on its own and doesn't just sound like nostalgia bait. It's just an all round super solid game that I'm glad exists. Hopefully it opens the doors to Sega allowing more people to take chances with their older unused franchises.

70. Ghost of Tsushima | Playstation 4 | Completed 31/07/2020 | ★★★

I had such a weird time with this game. I think it looks really good, even if the way the colours blended with the world got kind of tiring after awhile. Everything felt so segregated, like here's a big patch of red and here is a big patch of white and here is a big patch of yellow. It was almost like walking through a map at the end of a match of Splatoon. I liked the combat as well, though the enemy variety got pretty stale and, once the dripfeed of new skills ends, it feels very one note. But even the combat felt compromised with an awful camera and weird enemy tracking. The story ended up being really engaging and well told, but the first half of it is just spread too thin and by the time I got to the meaty, emotional parts of the story I was so burned out on the repetitive combat and one note mission structure. Overall it's a solid game, but it just feels antiquated in a way. It's an open world that I think tricks you into being more exciting and interesting than it is when all it has to offer is the same experience over and over and over.

71. Secret Agent Clank | Playstation Portable (PPSSPP) | Completed 31/07/2020 | ★★

Out of all of the Ratchet games that I hadn't played before this might have been the one I was looking forward the least due to it's pretty bad reputation. I didn't really know what to expect, but there are some unique things this game does that I actually really liked. The switching from protagonists was fun, especially the Captain Qwark sections where you are playing out these imaginary scenarios as he lies to his biographer about how big of a hero he is. And mixing up the kinds of gameplay from just standard combat and platforming with stealth (which is actually really clunky and bad) to just having a straight up rhythm game element (these sections, while fun, also just go on for way too long and the punishment for failing them is just too high). But, ultimately, the PSP was just not a system designed for the kind of gameplay the Ratchet games excel at. The combat is slow at best and, more often than not, frustrating and inconsistent at worst. Fighting the camera and the lock on in this game is easily the most difficult part, and it makes an interesting and creative game just an absolute chore to play. It's easily my least favourite Ratchet game to this point and it's going to take just an awful, awful game to surpass it.

Oct 27, 2017
40. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate | 31st Jul | 5/5

I'm counting this one as finished because, after many hours of online play, solo adventure, lab work, and mostly just hanging out with friends, I went and played through the true ending of adventure mode. This has been my favorite iteration of Smash since early days of playing the original and Melee on the couch with buddies. Its expansive cast, incredibly well supported by levels, music, and costumes, makes for a really fun casual time. Adventure mode drags - there are simply too many fights and many gimmicks are not particularly fun - but has a great finale if you go for that true ending. As a fighting/party game, Smultimate is the total package. I have no idea where the series will go from here, but for now, I'm happy to keep enjoying this entry.

Main Post

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
53. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 31/07/2020

I liked it when I was solving mysteries and I like it a lot less when Mia's ghost showed up to tell me the answer. The fifth case is way too goddamn long too.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
WHERE DID JULY GO WTF

Congratulations to me for finally managing to finish The Last Of Us Pa--wait where's The Last of Us Part II did I not finish it SHIT

Every time I sit down for a session, I do enjoy my time, but I can't seem to play for longer than about an hour at a time, and whenever I do put it down I never feel any burning desire to play it again. I'm not sure why this is. Too stressful? Too much of a downer with the real world falling to pieces around us? Just not that interesting mechanically speaking? Or maybe I'm just having trouble playing any game that requires my full attention these days. Puzzle games have been a nice way to fill the void in that respect; I can think about what I'm supposed to do, but also have a Twitch stream or music going in the background if I want.

So yeah. Managed to get through three of the puzzle games I picked up in the last Steam sale, which is good! August looks like a pretty light month in terms of new releases, as does... well, the rest of the year, actually? I feel like as console generations go, I know the least about the launch lineups of this coming generation. At this point, I've got Avengers, Watch Dogs Legion, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, and Cyberpunk 2077 on my watch list. Of those, only Yakuza is a definite buy, though I'll almost certainly hang on to 13 Sentinels as well. And that's everything I have for 2020, which seems completely wrong somehow. I can't recall being less excited for the launch of a brand new generation of consoles.

Anyways, back on topic: this is probably a good opportunity to clear out some backlog titles. I've been playing Animal Crossing lately, which does seem better than New Leaf to me but already I feel the daily grind getting to me and I've barely unlocked anything past Nook's Cranny. I still need to get back to Ooblets sometime, though because it's Early Access it'll be difficult to count it for this challenge. Same with Hardspace: Shipbreaker. And then there's... The Last of Us Part II. I should probably go play that, right after I eat my vegetables and do all my homework, I guess.

Shadowninja100

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
7. Sekiro - 6/18/2020
8. The Last of Us 2 - 6/26/2020
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider - 7/18/2020
10. Ghost of Tsushima - 7/30/2020
11. Gris - 7/31/2020

I played a lot of great games.

Palomitero

Jan 2, 2018
Barcelona
July Update

Main post here

mdc6eyg.jpg

33- Luigi Mansion 3 -10h50m- 3/5

Fun collectathon adventure game, first contact with a luigi's game and enjoyed it

Although feels a bit repetitive in the last stages

34- Evil Within + DLC's -20h- 4/5

This game has been in the backlog forever, as a mikami fan Im a bit ashamed I haven't played this sooner

Great survival horror game with a story and atmosphere that hooks you from the start. Also, fantastic characters and TONS of maps for a survival horror game

On the other hand, the gameplay feels a bit chunky to play at 2020, but it's totally playable.

The DLC are must play to get the full picture, and you play as Kidman, so thats a plus.

81e2e93cb2ff63aa271f9451a97e66c7.gif

35- Akane -2h- 2/5

Short roguelike Cyberpunk themed where your objective is to kill 100 enemies and then, defeat the boss, then the waves continues until you die.

Thing is, you die in ONE hit, any hit kills the run.

Your unlock more skills and gear completing objectives, decent game for less than 3 euro.

akane_dragon_slahs.png

36- Monster Train -2h- 3/5

You liked Slay The Spire? PLAY THIS GAME

Same idea as Slay The Spire, but instead of attack's your cards are monster and their own unique mechanics.

You go tough the maze picking new monster cards, spells, relics, champions and upgrading them, same as most deck builders.

4 Factions to unlock with their unique monsters, champions, spells etc

Great deck build, must play for the fans

Monster_Train.jpg

37- Evil Within 2 -15h- 5/5

Total upgrade from the first one, and the first one was a good survival horror

MASSIVE upgrade on the gameplay and gunplay, now with cover.

Firstly, the story from detective Castellanos it's still amazing, keep you glued to the screen for more information on the lore this game enthralls, also the ending it's fantastic for closing the saga.

Man Japanese people are really good making horror art for sure, the fantastic enemy design and atmosphere are creepy as hell, and that's a good thing

The-Evil-Within-2-1.gif

Best survival horror this gen? Probably

38- Death Come True -2h- 3/5

Interactive thriller movie with real actors, duration is a bit less than 2 hours.

Interesting game to play, if you liked Shibuya Scramble you should try this.

39- Ghost Of Tsuhima -40h- 5/5

Amazing what Sucker Punch accomplished with this game, thumbs up to them

Beauty in every corner of the massive map, this game feels like a screenshot simulator, you can just take screens and it will look good.

giphy.gif

Gameplay that feels just right and you keep getting new skills as you progress, stances like Nioh, and tools like Sekiro. The more skills you unlock, the better the gameplay feels, it's just so fun playing around in GOT

Probably the best open world I have played this gen, it just makes everything connects and feels great.

Super epic OST, so good

In addition, the story was PURE KINO and interesting to play, with TONS of epic moments that comes hand in hand with the fantastic OST. As a side note, the game loads (on ps4pro at least) lighting fast for an open world.

My GOTY pick for this year, TLOU2 may be a better game overall, but I have enjoyed this game more.

Looking forward to what the next Sucker Punch project have in their sleeve.

Now playing:

SMT IV

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
main post

35. Neo Turf Master Arcade) | 28 July - 4 hours | 8/10
Played this gem of a game in a tournament spading the 4 weeks of July. Best golf game ever made, imo.

EeAYuL6WsAAk_14

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original post

61. The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (Game Boy Color) | August 1st - 10min | 2/5

BHAFRNN.png

Not gonna lie, there's a lot here that could have a lot of potential. Sesame street has a lot to work with, and this is the perfect length for this type of game. Multiple difficulty modes and a score feature are a nice touch, and there's a lot of variety in the levels. Unfortunately it's held back by the fact that Elmo just isn't all that fun to control, and outside of the first level there isn't a notable soundtrack. A bit of a disappointment but still solid, and it does not disrespect your time.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
110. Steven Universe- Attack the Light
71M5Xxv6g9L.jpg

Decent little mobile jRPG style game that utilizes touch controls for combat and defense.
I do feel like it could've been better and was disappointed when the level ca p was 30 for the Gems, making battles seem trivial in the late game :/

111. Warhammer- Vermintide

So this is what a western Musou-like game could be like :V Interesting enough action game where you have a map and you navigate through while taking down hordes of Skaven and survive til you complete the mission or map. The game has various loot to acquire through playing the game on higher difficulties and other things, but my time with it was fun doing it co op with my friend.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
18. Uncharted Lost Legacy - Finished on 28/06/2020 Time: about 7 hours

Very good pacing and I had a blast with the two girls and their banter. It doesn't overstay its welcome and feels crisp and fresh.

19. Last of Us Part II - Finished on 10/07/2020 Time: 23 hours

Really good game and I think it will still be talked about in a few years.

20. Erica - Finished on 29/07/2020 Time: 2 hours
Interesting story and it had a cool sense of mystery. The controls are a mess though. I tried both variants. Controller touchpad is too sensitive and I don't want to constantly look at my phone during playing. Overall nice experience but I wouldn't start another go alone.

21. Rise of the Tomb Raider - Finished on 20/07/2020 Time: about 20 hours (?)
Story did nothing for me but the gameplay is a ok. I even did 100 % the campaign. I really liked the classic tomb raider games and the reboot from 2013 so I wanted to play this as soon as it got free on PS Plus. After 100 % I looked at the trophy list to see how much was missing for the platinum and there were a lot of score attack trophys. I tried this mode once and noped out of the platinum. This isn't what I want from tomb raider. The rest was great.

Coming up: Maybe Modern Warfare 2 Remastered since I never played it and I want to experience the no russian mission. There is also Bloodborne and Horizon from the last sale. And I want to try fall guys.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
A nice mix of games beaten in July, including a few shorter games, a strong GotY candidate and a couple of timeless classics that I really ought to have played long ago.

Master post here.

header.jpg

53. Astrologaster (PC - Game Pass) | 1 July 2020
100% of achievements unlocked (1,000G). A fairly simple visual novel with a fantastic sense of humour, I had a great time with Astrologaster. The game follows the activities of 16th/17th-century astrologer/doctor Simon Forman, primarily via the consultations with his patients (or 'querents', as he calls them in-game). Interactivity comes from selecting the appropriate 'reading of the stars' to diagnose each patient's troubles (not solely medical!) and while there's often a 'best' reading in terms of the reputation score that each querent holds for Simon, the game progresses caters well for any selection. The game really excels in its writing and the presentation of its eclectic cast of characters - the brief choral introductions to each consultation are a particular joy - and the premise becomes all the more intriguing upon learning that Simon Forman was a real historical figure and the game's events are loosely based on his case books.

header.jpg

54. Hook (Steam) | 6 July 2020
All puzzles completed. A small and deceptively simple puzzle game, Hook is essentially a virtual version of pick-up-sticks, challenging players to clear the play area of hooked sticks sequentially, based on the connections from a starting point to each stick, without disturbing any of the others at each step. Across a total of 50 puzzles, despite a simple premise, the later puzzles become fairly challenging, with new mechanics introduced including multiple starting points, rotatable segments that complete and break connections, etc. Overall, a nicely relaxing if limited experience.

header.jpg

55. klocki (Steam) | 9 July 2020
All puzzles completed. klocki is a minimalist puzzle game based largely around completion of continuous lines within 2D or 3D 'boards' made up of square pieces, using a variety of mechanics including direct exchange of pieces, sliding and rotation. Nicely relaxing, the puzzles start off very straightforward, working effectively to train the player on how each mechanic works without needing even a word of text - but become quite complex by the end. With just over 80 puzzles to complete, there's around 1-2 hours of play time here and little in the way of replay potential - but for its low price, klocki makes for a satisfying, enjoyable experience while it lasts.

TLoU2.jpg

56. The Last of Us Part II (PS4) | 12 July 2020
Platinum trophy earned, completed on Survivor+ difficulty. Truly a masterpiece, The Last of Us Part II once again demonstrates that Naughty Dog remain technical wizards, with an incredibly well-realised world and standard-setting graphics and sound design throughout. The frequently stealth-based gameplay is always satisfying, with plenty of well-designed setpiece encounters, alongside a meaningful set of weapon and character ability upgrades, providing a further incentive to explore and track down the items that facilitate these upgrades. A couple of frustratingly difficult (on higher difficulties) encounters aside, the level of challenge is well-judged, while enemy AI generally achieves believable results.

Where The Last of Us Part II really shines, though, is in its writing, direction and, especially, acting, with superb, frequently heart-felt, performances from Ashley Johnson, Laura Bailey and Troy Baker as Ellie, Abby and Joel - among many others in the supporting cast. Although in large part the story can be boiled down to a revenge tale, it does so while still achieving a level of nuance that most games can only hope to aspire to. Certainly there's a level of violence and brutality here that may be a turn-off for some - indeed, it usually would be for me - but it's used effectively, being symptomatic of the harsh world that remains post-pandemic.

A final word has to go to the accessibility options provided by the game, which goes far beyond anything that I've ever seen before, catering well for those with impaired hearing, eyesight or control dexterity - to the extent that I'm actually not all that surprised to hear reports of the game being beaten by blind people!.

header.jpg

57. Coffee Talk (Xbox One - Game Pass) | 13 July 2020
100% of achievements unlocks (1,000G). A serviceable if unexceptional visual novel, Coffee Talk tells the story of the relatable, 'real life' problems of a cast of characters inhabiting a modern fantasy world, complete with elves, orcs, vampires and werewolves. Impressively detailed and well-drawn pixelart graphics do a good job of capturing the expressiveness of the characters and the writing is decent, but ultimately each character's storyline is fairly shallow, with fairly predictable 'happy endings'.

As suggested by the game's title, a coffee shop provides the setting for the game's events, with players taking the role of a barista brewing drinks for customers. There's a quite impressive diversity of drinks available to be put together from a set of around 10 different ingredients and some entertainment can be had from learning the various recipes, but there's only so far that this can hold one's interest – about right for the length of the game, though!

713a2e5dcf388a1961191b1e32979068608227ba.png

58. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PS4) | 16 July 2020
100% of trophies earned (platinum trophy for the Requiem collection); 100% in-game completion (all stages complete on both routes, all maidens saved). Rondo of Blood is only the second Castlevania game that I've played, and the first in the 'classic' style, but I can clearly see why the franchise is so loved – there's some great level design on show here and a good variety of enemies with varying manners of attack, making for quite a challenging experience at times. Movement feels somewhat less smooth and natural than the 'pure' platformers that I'm more familiar with, which can make some parts quite frustrating as it can lead to difficulty in making jumps with the necessary precision, but it's manageable with practice.

Multiple routes through many of the levels, two sets of levels providing alternate paths through the game, some well-hidden secrets and two different playable characters add some decent replay value – and rounding out the presentation, the use is made throughout of the series' classic musical themes.

7d89737516f073288d0266554afe64b5abba4a60.png

59. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS4) | 23 July 2020
100% of trophies earned (platinum trophy for the Requiem collection); 200.6% map exploration, complete bestiary, Richter mode completed. It's taken far too long for me to make time to play this defining game in the 'Metroidvania' genre but I'm pleased to find that it's just as good as its reputation suggests. While Super Metroid and Hollow Knight remain a step above, Symphony of the Night is otherwise right up amongst the best of the genre. With the core gameplay involving exploring a large interconnected castle, level design is clearly crucial and the game excels on that front, with a wide variety of interesting settings; the game's 'twist' then really highlights the care and attention put in here. Combat is fairly simple, but responsive and satisfying, with an impressive range of different weapons, alongside a handful of magic spells that help to bring some layers of complexity. Rounding out the package are detailed pixelart that holds up to this day and a deservedly classic musical score

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post

-------

19. A Plague Tale: Innocence - 53 hours
Honestly, I didn't like this game as much as I expected when I was just starting it. I love story-driven games, but A Plague Tale: Innocence gameplay is just too linear - I would say it's painfully scripted and forces the player to follow a very specific path. One step in the wrong direction and you're done, the game gives you different types of ammo and tools, but it never really gives you a choice in how and when to use them. Stealth is annoying and clunky, if you will get spotted, in most cases it's basically the end because levels are too tiny and don't provide an opportunity to run away and hide. The story is also getting dumb quite fast, I was hoping for something more realistic and close to real history, but devs went full-on fantasy mode with all those rats tornados and stuff. At least visuals and art direction in this game are great, that's why I've spent so much playing it, I think around 40 hours of my playthrough were wasted in photomode, but it was worth it.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original post here

62. The Land Before Time (Game Boy Color) | August 2nd - 1hr | 1/5

4KZGxmJ.png

I really wanted to give this game at least a 2/5. The backgrounds are awesome and the music is actually pretty good. But everything else about it is just awful. The worst aspects of every licensed GBC platformer are all here. The characters move slowly, you need to find collectables to progress, levels and enemies make no sense, the game refuses to explain to you the difference between each character. It's just a miserable slog with nothing fun about it besides the backgrounds and music. Even though it's actually really short it feels way too long, not good.

63. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES) | August 2nd - 3hrs | 5/5

hHelmw3.png

My problematic fave. Played on original NES hardware with a 25% CRT filter. I've been playing this game since unlocking it in Animal Crossing twenty years ago, but I've never managed to beat it until now. Casual racism aside, I think this has a strong contender to be the best NES game. It's endlessly replayable, easy to jump into, and feels like there's always room to learn. I think it has a special spark to it that neither of the sequels ever quite met, and it's all the more impressive on such basic hardware. It's a little lame how it re-uses boxers at the end and it's a shame that it dips so heavily into harmful stereotypes (two of the most iconic boxers, King Hippo and Bald Bull, are particularly bad), but it really is one of the greats.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

53. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Switch
Completed 7/8/20
Score - 9/10

I think it's time to finally mark this as complete. I played the original mode unlocking all characters and then moved on to the Adventure mode. Wow was that long. I loved the majority of my time with it and liked playing with different characters and advancing. I don't know how they do a follow-up to this game because it has pretty much everything in it. I will probably jump back in once the new DLC is fully out. Highly recommend.
H2x1_NSwitch_SuperSmashBrosUltimate_02_image1600w.jpg

54. Playstation VR Worlds - PSVR
Completed 7/10/20
Score - 6/10

All of the complaits on this one are pretty accurate. Each game is really short and could come across as a demo. I have had this since PSVR day 1 and just never got around to playing anything but the shark attack.
Ocean Descent was good but super short and not very interactive. A nice demo for someone to test.
Luge is ok but is painfully difficult to make it to the last track. Not much to do in the game either.
London Heist was fine but I was shocked at how short it was. There were only a few scenes that allowed you to actually shoot or do anything. It was fine but definitely not the highlight of the pack that I once assumed.
Scavangers Odyssey made me incredibly sick. I think I have a decent stomach for VR. I haven't gotten sick from any game on PC or PSVR but this game did me in. I ended up beating it since it was so short but my head and stomach weren't too happy that I did. I would avoid that game.
Danger Ball this game was the highlight of the pack. I had no clue I would enjoy it so much. They should totally take the concept and make it a full fledged game and add multiplayer. (does this already exist?) Anyway, this game is basically pong in VR and you have to play it to see why it's so addicting. I loved it and if you find the game cheap...I would pick it up for Danger Ball.
Only recommend on the cheap. Basically demos.

playstation-vr-worlds-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-14jun16

55. Mario Kart 7 - 3DS
Completed 7/12/20
Score - 6/10

On 50/100CC this game was fine. Some tracks were fun and others were wholly uninspired. I had a fun enough time getting 3 stars on all tracks and unlocking...then came 150CC and the game proved itself to be cheap and not very fun. I still can't find a writeup on how to achieve 3 stars in the 150cc mode and I just considered it beaten when I unlocked all of the characters. 150CC is normally my goto mode on Mario Kart but for this game it made me really dislike the game at times. I doubt many people even want to play this anymore.

mario-kart-7.original.jpg

56. Ghosts 'N Goblins - NES
Completed 7/13/20
Score - 4/10

A childhood game that I always wanted to beat and after doing that now...I never stood a chance back then. My major gripe with this game is the controls. The difficulty stems from this in my opinion. I have loved(never beaten) Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts and I feel that performs so much better. This game was a chore and I don't know why I played through twice when I knew the ending was a complete joke. I definitely used saved states on the NES Classic, I never would have made it without it. Not recommended.

s-l300.jpg

57. Metroid II: Return of Samus - Gameboy
Completed 7/22/20
Score - 8/10

I had a blast with this game. I actually enjoyed it more than the original Metroid. The mission is to find and destroy all the Metroids within the game. It was fun to explore and I felt that it wasn't as chaotic and difficult as the original. I highly recommend playing this if you are into Metroid games and want to try a scaled back version of the formula.

latest

58. The Bunker - PS4
Completed 7/24/20
Score - 5/10

Meh. For an FMV game the video and acting is pretty great but the interactivity is really lame. You can barely do anything in this game. The story was ok I guess but nothing mind blowing. It's extremely short and there is barely anything to do. Not recommended.

de5a67_b46b66e880c14c7ea63eaa6ca08ab0fc~mv2_d_2768_1560_s_2.webp

59. Super Bomberman R - Switch
Completed 7/28/20
Score - 6/10

Classic bomberman with some really, really annoying cutscenes. I found the boss fights to be pretty annoying and the only way I ever won was through kamikazee runs as long as I had enough lives to continue. It stunk that if you lost all your life you had to play the entire world all over again. The other issue is that you can continue but only if you have enough points which you usually earn with online play. It was fine but I actually find more enjoyment out of the oldschool Bomberman games over this. Low Recommendation

61ZwBDWOj%2BL.jpg

60. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - PS4
Completed 7/30/20
Score - 9/10

I loved everything about this game. The progression was fun. Searching for secrets all over the map was fun. Even learning each transformations abilities or lack of was fun. It really got challenging later in the game but I always found it to be fair. The artstyle was fantastic as well. I loved flipping between retro mode and the modern graphics to see how they made it look. Highly recommended!

Wonderboyremake.PNG

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original post here

64. Super Punch-Out!! (SNES) | August 3rd - 1hr | 2/5

DOtQI4T.png

I feel like there's a certain type of Super Nintendo game where they got so excited about the enhanced capabilities of the system that they forgot to make a good game. Super Punch-Out!! is a huge step down from its NES predecessor in just about every way. The protagonist is some generic dork. The game has better animations and better sprites, but that only serves to make identifying patterns and countering them less satisfying. I hate the change from the puzzle-like star system of the NES game to a boring super meter. Even with the improved graphics and animations, a lot of the characters are straight up ugly. Some new characters, like buck-toothed Dragon Chan and pushover Bob Charlie, are contenders for the most offensive characters in the series. The game completely loses the round and quote system that gave Punch-Out!! on NES so much personality. Just a huge disappointment all around.

That being said, I couldn't give it a 1/5. Despite being such a clear step down from it's predecessor, it does still somewhat good to play. You also have to give it some credit for trying to do something different (at least I think it did? I never played the arcade games). Most importantly, Bear Hugger, Aran Ryan, Mad Clown, and Narcis Prince are legitimately good characters that don't rely heavily on harmful stereotypes. If we get a new Punch-Out!!, I would hope all four show up in some form.

Deleted member 1265

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fatyoshi - 43/52 games (29 new, 14 replays)

CkzZeI3.png

Game 38 – No Man's Sky (XB1) – 21h 17m – 3/5

The time listed is how long it took me to finish the ~story path of quests.

I was surprised by how much I ended up liking this in the end. Didn't have this pegged as something that would be up my alley but the sense of exploration among other things won out against the grind that goes to the game's core. I'm sure playing this game now helped a lot, the game seems to have come a long way with the updates.
I'll be spending more time with this over time for sure.

The little dances aliens do while speaking to you are so fucking cute.

gTJh6a7.png

Game 39 – Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PC) – 5h 6m – 1.5/5

I think I've fully fallen off with this one and am willing to call it my least favorite Tomb Raider game across all of the different iterations? It's not a big surprise/upset since the cracks were showing in my last playthrough but I thought that dishonorable mention would always go to the 2013 game. 2020 is fucking wild.

There's something enjoyable at the core of things but you can thank the source material for that. I can't get over how much of a downgrade this is almost universally across the board.

The level design sees constant cuts and simplifications while not adding much new to make up for it. St. Francis' Folly is the sole example of an area that saw an expansion that puts it even with or potentially better than the original game. Meanwhile whole ass levels elsewhere get mangled badly. (City of Vilcabamba, Colisseum, and the Atlantis levels get the worst of it.)

Gone are the fantastic colors and aesthetic sense of the areas in the original replaced with constant dull grays and browns. Sure the game looks much nicer than the original when it comes down to it but does it matter when it's this dull? There's so much atmosphere lost.

The style of gameplay/controls found in this trilogy of Tomb Raider games does not translate well to the level of precision called for. You're dealing with floaty controls on top of a highly erratic camera. For a game with such automated platforming (you pretty much jump in a direction and it does the work for you), the game is extremely unpolished. I can't keep track of the number of times where jumps didn't execute correctly, the grappling hook didn't connect to a hook, or a mixture of both. God help you if you're trying to do any of the above when enemies show up.

Playing directly alongside the original was a mistake.

csjsa2z.png

Game 40 – Tomb Raider (PC) – 7h 2m – 5/5

Played through alongside Anniversary. It still fucking slays.

One of the most satisfying games I can think of when you're willing to put the time in to learn the controls. The level design makes the most of both the simplistic moveset and design elements (the game is on a grid system) for an ultimately cohesive experience. The level design flows without feeling like you're being railroaded from place to place. Not all games (see: the remake) have That...

Anyways, I'm looking forward to replaying through the rest of the pre-Crystal Dynamics games in the near future. It's been long enough.

pucy8T6.png

Game 41 – Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4) – 18h 52m – 2/5

Me: I really miss mid tier licensed games from the 90s and 00s.
Me playing this: Hmmmm, perhaps Not...

---

This is the jankiest feeling new game I've played in a pretty long time. There's definite potential to be had but the game spends so much time taking inspiration from elsewhere while not sticking the landing with anything. I was able to deal with it a bit more early in but as time went by mixture of the less than stellar combat, level/map design from hell, the backtracking, and rancid platforming/slide sections took a toll. I just wanted it to be done. There's a solid base here and I'll be keeping tabs on a sequel. It could be something special.

ZCx9rgp.png

Game 42 – Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business (PC) – 3h 40m – 3.5/5

A nice little expansion pack to the first game in the series. Four new levels that pick back up after the ending of the main game, sometimes revisiting previous areas from the levels that came before.

They really stepped up some of the complexity with the level design here which is appreciated but at the same time they really went ham with the combat. The Hive especially gets to be a bit much before it's even halfway through.

Not my favorite expansion pack in the series (that goes to The Lost Artifact) but I'm always glad to play more Tomb Raider.

xjEJmjm.png

Game 43 – DOOM (2016) (PS4) – 13h 55m – 3.5/5

Great gameplay at its core. The monster designs in addition to wide arsenal of weapons are nice and everything has its own use while feeling nice to use. I'm not 100% sure the gameplay is something that can carry things for the length of this game. (I had a similar issue with Doom 3 but the problems with that game are numerous on top of the length and I'm not getting into it here...) Bits like the rune challenges throwing the pacing off don't help matters.

Definitely something I think is better in bits. Maybe to play a few levels here and there and not through in a short period? Wanted to run through again before I started Eternal. I'm looking forward to that.

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

July update: 37/52

Progress! Summer suddenly got a lot colder and the weather much worse this past month, so my vacation has been spent a lot more inside than what I'd have wished, but at least I was given time to beat some great games. Some were old games beaten for the first time, some were replays, and one was The Last of Us 2, which... yeah, amazing game. Also came close to beating Persona Q, which is somehow shorter than the mainline games but feels thrice as long and will probably stick with me till the end of time. Which might be any day now; who knows what'll happen in this 2020 we've been given.

Anyway - games!

VsxbAL5.jpg

32. July 1st | The Last of Us Part 2 | Playstation 4 | 28hrs | ☆☆☆☆☆(/5)

Probably my most anticipated game of the year outside of FF7R. All of the western first party studio games (haven't played Days Gone or Ghosts of Tsushima yet) this generation have been great imo, but they've basically all been "just" that. Great. Like, 4/5 games. Nothing really to complain about and memorable games in their own ways, but there's always something that keeps me from giving them a higher rating.

tLoU2 shares a lot of the same issues as its first party peers - it's a bit too long, the pacing's inconsistent and there's some really poor padding here and there. There are also a couple of dream sequences that start out good, but they evolve during the story in a way that doesn't feel realistic at all (which I guess is strange to complain about in a game about mushroom zombies, but still). I mean, I've had dreams about things I've actually experienced before, but usually not the same exact one several times except for its ending which changes based on my inner emotions about current events. It's a minor nitpick, but when a game is as good as this one every minor issue becomes so much more apparent. I also don't really think it's a game that really benefits from having collectibles as they kind of ruin the mood. They fit in in that universe, and the game would feel really barren without them, but maybe if there hadn't been so many of each type?

Also: both humans and clickers have really selective hearing? Like, they can't hear the main characters speak a short distance away, or the sound of a door opening, or one of their own being stealth killed, but they can sometimes hear almost inaudible footsteps when close enough? Hm.

Luckily, I don't have much more to complain about. The Uncharted gameplay Naughty Dog started way back in 2007 has basically been perfected here, and the surprisingly strong AI (though also fairly blind) make the battle arenas more like actual arenas where you have to move around instead of just hiding behind a roadblock or broken wall and sometimes shoot at things. The improved stealth mechanics from both the first game and Uncharted 4 also gives you so many more options than just go in guns blazing, and considering you don't auto heal on higher difficulties it's also imperative for survival. Despite the stealth emphasis, all of the weapons feel really good to use, and all feel different from each other. I was probably mainly a shotgun user, but every weapon had its purpose and moments of good use. They were also all upgradable, which I would probably usually call an unnecessary attempt to RPG-ify an action adventure game, but it's honestly nice in such a long game to always know that there's something to work towards other than getting more of the great story.

The game shines brightest outside of battles though. I like them, but not as much as I like just wandering around in this incredible Seattle that Naughty Dog has built. Going into all the houses and apartments, opening drawers and just looking at all the little details everywhere, like how the console found in most homes are PS3s (with some also having earlier Naughty Dog games like Uncharted and Jax & Daxter) as that was the final console released before the infection tore down the modern world. The First Last of Us always felt too linear to me, and even though this one basically is as well, there are so many sidetracks that make the world feel real.

I'm obviously not going to talk about the story, by the way. I'll just say it's probably the most emotional I've felt with a game in very long time, and that I'm not completely sure why there's any controversy around it? I mean, I do, but I also don't. It's a masterpiece in video game writing, that's for sure, and even though the whole "feel bad about killing enemies" thing doesn't really work, I think you really get fatigued by all the violence by the end, and by the game's controversial (because of course it is) ending sequence you just wish for it to end. The great characters probably have something do with that as well.

Feel like I've somehow spoiled too much without barely going into any detail, so I'll just stop here. GOTY at the moment, and one of the best games of the generation for sure.

uCQwlGU.jpg

33. July 2nd | Pokémon Puzzle Challenge | Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console | 3hrs | ☆☆☆(/5)
Needed something light and joyful after Last of Us 2, and there came Pokémon Puzzle Challenge to my rescue! This is basically just Panel de Pon with a Pokémon twist, but even though the names are very similar it's not simply a gameboy port of the Nintendo 64 Panel de Pon clone Pokémon Puzzle League. This is instead set in Johto, where you fight all the gym leaders and elite four in PdP fights, with some great Gen 2 remixes in the background. You start out with the 3 starters, who all act as extra lives, and can unlock more in either the story mode or the plethora of other game modes.

I played the story on Hard because that's the only way to face every opponent without being told to restart on a higher difficulty in order to progress. Turns out that wasn't the best idea I've ever had as I'm apparently really bad at these types of games. Sure, you have unlimited continues but having to restart battles over and over again isn't ideal. I did get somewhat decent by the end, but even though I beat the final opponent (who's Lance by the way, I assume most people have played G/S/C by this point) I still got a message saying something like "wow, you're terrible at this. You should probably train a bit more", so even though I beat the game and got credits, I was still mocked for my poor Panel de Pon skills. Completely deserved criticism, of course, but maybe just a bit disheartening.

Still though - great game. Panel de Pon is fun and so is Gen 2 of Pokémon. I had a lot of fun despite my many failures, and it's a simple enough concept that you always feel like it's possible to learn and get better (and defeat the opponent with just one more try! Or one more! Or one more!). It's also really cheap on 3DS seeing as how much content there is outside just the story mode. Not sure what Panel de Pon experts think about this one, but I highly recommend to anyone interested in getting into the franchise.

Y3l4F3B.jpg

34. July 3rd | Mega Man X4| Playstation 4| 2.5hrs |
☆☆☆☆(/5)
The great games just kept on coming to me this month! I've played Mega Man X-X3 several times (only really like the first one, though) but never really tried out any of the later ones outside of X7, strangely enough. I've also heard from friends that X4 was supposed to be this really great game, but it wasn't until this July that I first played and beat it.

My friends were right - it is a great game! Great graphics, amazing soundtrack and a difficulty that poses a challenge but isn't as infuriating as, say, X3 could be sometimes. It's obviously not as good as X1 which is basically the best platformer ever made, but for a fourth game in an overall not so stellar series it really goes beyond what should be reasonably required of it. The story feels like a continuation of a completely different set of games, but I guess that's okay when it's presented with voice acted cutscenes such as this one.

Other than that, it's just really good Mega Man X gameplay. You jump, you dash, you shoot. I do think the stages aren't the most inspired most of the time, but they do their job. Boss fights are also fun, and surprisingly challenging when playing as Zero (except for the final boss, who's somehow much easier).

So yeah, highly recommended game. Wish I owned it on original hardware, but the Legacy Collection version worked fine enough as well.

6GkStQy.jpg

35. July 12th | Resident Evil | Playstation 4| 2.6hrs | Replay | ☆☆☆☆☆(/5)
It's not often I play two 5/5 games in one month, but somehow the stars aligned in July. Wasn't too surprising though considering that I've beaten Resident Evil several times before, but this was the first time in about five years that I played it. My feelings on it haven't changed - it's the perfect survival horror game and I doubt any game in the genre will ever surpass it. It has a genuinely creep atmosphere, the gameplay has been perfected and the different areas you visit are just... perfectly designed. Absolutely nothing feels unnecessary, and the different playthroughs with Jill and Chris manage to feel different even though you're playing through the exact same areas, mainly due to their respective partners and different gameplay styles. Shinji Mikami games will always be of interest to me thanks to this game alone.

Just like every other amazing game though, the rating doesn't mean the game is without its flaws. I for one think both the story and the way in which it's told is pretty poor, as is basically every character. They never really react in a believable way, and are sometimes stupid beyond belief. This was okay in the PS1 original because... well, it was the PS1 original where both the graphics and voice acting just made the bad storytelling another part of its charm. Here it just doesn't work. I just skipped every cutscenes this time, but I feel like you shouldn't have to do that in order to heighten your enjoyment. Story's important too!

Still 5/5 though. The area designs are almost a 6/5 to me, and the classic RE gameplay will never get old (except when it did in Code Veronica, I guess. But the good classic RE gameplay will never get old). Can't recommend enough to people who haven't played it yet. It's not an easy game, but it's so much fun once you've learned how it works and memorized where specific rooms and items are, which takes a surprisingly short amount of time as every room is so distinct from the next.

anlfuTH.jpg

36. July 17th | Castlevania: Rondo of Blood | Playstation 4| 1hr |
Replay | ☆☆☆☆(/5)
I honestly only played this because I'm a bad person. A friend was complaining about its difficulty, so I had to play it myself to show that it really wasn't that hard - and it isn't! Sure, it's a Castlevania game so there's bound to be bumps in the road here and there, but it's such a smooth experience compared to previous games (except for maybe 4?) that it never takes that long or is particularly difficult to return to the area where you're having problems. Richter has some minor Belmont problems like fairly rigid jumps and the inability to use his whip in any other angle than straight forward, but he also has super attacks with his sub weapons which are really useful against difficult bosses, and a backflip which makes for a great dodge move. I don't think there's that much mandatory memorization in order to beat it either, which is always a plus.

The big thing though - except for the german intro, fluid animations and top tier soundtrack - is how much replayability Rondo of Blood has. Sure, you only go through 7 stages before facing Dracula, but what those 7 stages are vary depending on whether you find the secret paths in the stages or not. There are 12 stages in total, but most people will only play the regular 7 on a first playthrough, or maybe find a secret path by falling down a pit and then left wondering if there might be more of these secrets on other stages? It's a great concept that incentivizes players not only to jump into several pits that will just result in deaths, but also gives what's mostly a linear platformer a feeling of being more than that.

Classicvania basically died after Rondo, which is okay since out of its ashes came Symphony of the Night, but it would have been interesting to see how they could have kept evolving this style of game. As it stands, Rondo is the absolute pinnacle of this style of Castlevania, and a game that everyone should try at least once. The Death fight is awful though.

Som
XPNupEp.jpg

36. July 30th | Resident Evil 2 | Playstation 4| 13hrs |
☆☆☆☆(/5)
[The playtime in this case counts for both Leon A and Claire B as the true ending can only be achieved by beating both]

I actually pre-ordered Resident Evil 2 when it first came out, but it got lost in the mail so I never got it. Later picked it up during black friday which was probably good considering how much cheaper it was. Not really sure why I waited so long before finally playing it, but either way I finally did. Being a pretty big fan of the original RE2 (would probably put it second in my ranking of the series), I feel like this is almost the perfect remake. What I mean by that is that it's very much its own thing while still being reminiscent of the source material, making it not so much a 100% improved version of the game but instead an alternative interpretation of it. The original is not obsolete, but instead goes hand in hand with this one. Both have a place in this world, and that's just great.

I just love the gameplay, this slower take on a Third person shooter really should become the norm for these games. It's methodical like a classic survival horror, but fluid like, well, a modern game. This combined with the classic Resident Evil puzzle solving and finding keys makes for a really fun gameplay loop I didn't really think Capcom had the restraint to be able to achieve for a whole game (looking at you, final third of Resident Evil 7), but they somehow did! The fairly short playtime (seven hours on my first playthrough when being really thorough, five on the second) ensures that it never once gets boring, and Mr. X... Well, he's Mr. X. The encounters with him in the original were extremely scripted, but here it's like Alien Isolation has been reborn into a much better paced game as he's completely unpredictable and hunts you relentlessly through the police station. I both love and hate how in the way he often is, and how scary it is to see him quickly walk towards you in a tight hall, knowing that there're zombies in the way of your escape and there's no way to run past X without taking damage. So much stress, but also so much fun.

Also really enjoyed the writing, surprisingly enough. The story's not great or anything, but this being a dark, serious remake of a fairly goofy (though I guess it took itself seriously at the time) PS1 I thought it would take itself too seriously and lose much of the original's charm. Turns out I was super wrong as the character interactions might be the best of the entire series. Particularly enjoyed Leon and Ada's banter, but it was all good. It's a dark game, and it knows when to keep a serious tone, but that doesn't mean there can't be some levity here and there.

There were a few disappointments though. The police station's great, but the other areas feel lacking compared to the original game, and the sewers, which were fairly short in the original, have been streched out in such a terrible way where you're just collecting chess pieces from a dank, boring, collection of rooms with some annoying enemies capable of poisoning you. It's never fun to hit a roadblock where you have to collect far apart items in order to progress, and this happens fairly shortly after another such puzzle in the prison. A great Resident Evil game always moves you forward, and this just stops your momentum a few too many times.

It's not really an issue to me that the A and B scenarios are so similar or that Leon and Claire have basically the same endgame, though it would have been fun with more variety for replayability's sake. Anyway, it's nice to have finally played one of last year's best games. Still think Fire Emblem was my absolute favorite, but this one would definitely have been in the top 3.

...And that's July! It's been a long time since I played so many great games in a row, and I know for sure I won't be doing that in August. Still, it was nice while it lasted and hopefully it'll happen again. Take care of yourselves and let's hope life can one day go back to normal for the world at large! At least so normal that people aren't risking their health by leaving the house.

Currently playing
Persona Q

robesgruyere

One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2018

Ratings
★ - Trash, or Shovelware; no redeeming factors
★★ - Bad; but has some redeeming factors
★★★ - Good; not bad, but not great
★★★★ - Great; has minor flaws, but is a clear recommendation
★★★★★ - Excellent; a definite recommendation, minor flaws are little enough to look past

Note: An Xbox icon denotes Xbox Game Pass PC.

maz2XnY.png
xiPxbcv.png
D3kjX88.png
TxrbXPu.png
McUtb6x.png
MJhIOqx.png
njN2vCH.png

DdrnvlK.png

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
112. Prototype 2

Enjoyed the traversal in this game but its mission design and structure is simple and repetitive. Still managed to get some enjoyment from it but due to its repetitiveness, it is best play in short sessions XP

113. The Surge

Has some nice ideas for the genre such as 'banking' the tech or souls you collected at a save area as well as weapon damage leveling up as you continue to defeat enemies with them. I got lost a few times mainly due to how badly the game tells you where to go and that there is the lack of an ingame map that would've helped know where to go next.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

Weekly Update 31: Going to do the updates on Thursday from here on out as the year ends on a Thursday. 1 game finished this week and nearing the end on another.

49. Fallout 76 - Comfort gaming. Played thru it on Xbox 1X this time around thru GamePass as I had no space left on my Pro for it. Focused on the Wastelanders content and while the game still has plenty of bugs they're nowhere near as bad as they were at launch. I do think the setting is my favorite of the series so far, but it's lacking in memorable characters/quests. Some decent quests in here, but they never reach the levels of 3 or NV or even 4. Overall it's one of those swimming in 6/7's type of games.

Currently Playing:

1. Ghost of Tsushima - Nearing the end. While I've enjoyed my time with it, I'm not enjoying quite as much as I did the Infamous games.

I'm starting Watch Dogs 2 as soon as I finish GoT and I'm not sure what else to play alongside it. I'll probably do the Game Pass/PSNow carousel until 1 game sticks.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
51 | Guild Wars 2: All or Nothing
PC | July 31 | ~11 hrs | 2.5/5
MHDuKxv.png

First off, Thunderhead Peaks is LAG CITY. Such a shame because the new zone broke the never ending desert ecos. It was great seeing more than sand (and more sand). The bright white snow paired with the crystallize purple shards was beautiful. However when you try to walk forward, the game has to pause and wake itself up from lag. Oddly enough, the lag wasn't too bad inside either large meta event. But there were some danger areas. I will not be yearning going back to the peaks.

The story was rearing up for the big fight against Krak. The writers and devs did a good job making the fight feel large, considering the size of the dragon. Plus the danger from Krak and his minions. There was a particular story fight where the AI was not...good. The enemies would scatter away from specific areas you had to kill them. It made it unnecessarily difficult.

52 | Guild Wars 2: War Eternal
PC | August 6 | ~10 hrs | 5/5
74FjzkM.png

The final story chapter in Season 4 was a joy to play. The new zone wonderfully captures three different ecos inspired by the game's gods. You have a jungle inspired by Maguma, a burning forest, and an underworld with spirits. Already very cool. They blended all three so well together; it never felt disjointed.

Now the zone meta is A++. You fight Krak; the scale of the meta (and the mega sized dragon) is probably one of my more memorable metas recently. I know it isn't new to fight a dragon while on top of it...World of Warcraft did it and I'm certain other MMOs have in the past too. But the writers and devs for Guild Wars have been growing. In the base game you fight an elder dragon and it...was very underwhelming. In the first expansion, you fight another dragon and it was okay. Better than the base game but fighting Krak was great. Their elder dragon fights have been better and better.

Woohoo, 52 but I'm still going to finish titles. I mistakenly bought more on Steam during summer sale and a bundle on Itchio to play through.

Lobotomaxx and I have started our collections for the final mount! Wish us luck. I also F I N A L L Y crafted my first legendary. It took so long so please enjoy my terrible screenshots of Sunrise.

P3V6xMT.png
MiGVEBs.png
AhaCC7w.png

Main Post

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
19. Mafia II: Definitive Edition | June 15th

I actually forgot how good Mafia 2 was. Even though the port was shit, I actually enjoyed it so much I got 2nd Mafia 2 platinum trophy xD
Can't wait for remake of the 1st one.

19. The Last of Us Remastered | June 18th

I kind of... hated replaying this. I started on Grounded, but then switched to Hard because QTEs were not showing up on screen on Grounded... like, what? I'm not about remembering all the buttons here. Then I actually switched to Easy because AI pissed me off. I dunno, this didn't age well. Great game though.

20. The Last of Us Remastered: Left Behind | June 19th

I actually never had a chance to play it till now. Nice little story with a few special moments in it.

21. The Last of Us Part II | June 27th

GOTY so far. It's simply amazing in every aspect. Don't really want to write things up for this one because we'll end up with a few pages and lots of spoilers, so let's leave it here. GOTY.

22. Ghost of Tsushima | August 8th

Ghost of Tsushima didn't really do a lot for me. I loved the title screen and the ending. The rest was... okay? It's a cool Assassin's Creed for me, that's it. Great side quests. Don't judge me, I'm not a huge Japan / Samurai guy :)

Playing now: Cuphead, Fall Guys, looking at DMC5 lol.

Oct 27, 2017
41. Dishonored 2 | 7th Aug | 4/5

Dishonored 2 is very much a game of highs and lows. Several of the levels, most especially the Clockwork Mansion, are absolutely fantastic. Figuring out how to go behind the scenes in the mansion and exploiting the level's literal mechanics offers a steampunk, imsim version of some of Portal 2's thrills. But the game also drags, especially when going nonlethal, due to some less-than-stellar stealth mechanics. I only have so much patience for quick saving and quick loading these days. On top of that, the writing is overly impressed with itself. Some of the celebrity voice work doesn't exactly come off as though it's worth the price or prestige, either. In terms of gameplay, the powers also don't seem particularly balanced. A lot are fun (Domino!) and some are OP (Shadow Walk), but I rarely found myself engaging in very creative power uses. I guess that might be on me, but it was often more efficient to sneak past patrols or shadow walk and knock someone out.

All of this adds up to a sequel that doesn't quite live up to the original, even though it exceeds it in spots. Since so much of Dishonored 2 follows directly from its predecessor and its DLC, the comparisons are invited. The Dreadful Whale is no substitute for the Hound Pits, offering little in the way of the intrigue, character, or shifting dynamics of the Hound Pits. It does have the effect of making sure that I wanted to range back out into the far more exciting locations of Karnaca, at least. But the last mission, in particular, seemed like a less difficult retread of Brigmore, offering little even in comparison to the natural history museum in Karnaca. Mostly, I think I'm disappointed in that very last mission and the ending. The game sets up the possibility of an interesting climax with the revival of your other family member right at the start, but it only results in another scene with one of Delilah's paintings.

With that said, there's still a lot to like overall about Dishonored 2. The environmental storytelling remains very good, as does an emphasis on the surrounding life of the neighborhoods that Emily/Corvo infiltrates. Many of those show more signs of life than in the original and it's always fun to figure out how to move unhindered above patrolled streets, slipping through offices, pubs, shops, and apartments. If only the main narrative was as good as the small details.

Main Post

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original post here.

65. Punch-Out!! (Wii) | August 8th - 4hrs | 5/5

rTtOI30.png

This one is a lot better than I remember it being, to the point where it may be the best game on Wii. It has a slow start, and I still think the NES game is a little bit better, but it really picks up near the end. The concept of Title Defense (and Mac's Last Stand) are really novel, and I like how the expand on the exhibition feature from Super Punch-Out!! to act as both a challenge and a tutorial. The cartoony art style and use of native languages to make the more egregious stereotypes more tolerable, even though some of them are really bad. There's a good variety in opponents, even amongst the same fighter in some cases. It also has a surprising amount of depth which you'll only realize when playing exhibition and experimenting, such as the ability to hit your opponent after the stun barrage has finished. They even correctly identified the best Nintendo character and gave them a cameo in the game, and found a way to make horrible Wii controls completely optional. I normally don't like Next Level Games as a studio at all, but I guess it's good they existed at some point because we got this game from them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
54. Lucah: Born of a Dream - 09/08/2020

Still have no idea what happened and don't exactly feel compelled to do NG+ and find out.

Last edited: