• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
20. Alan Wake's American Nightmare

A short spin off game that is more action oriented which follows Alan in a new bizarre adventure as he seemingly works towards his return. The overall core mechanics and ideas of the game are solid IMO, but this being planned as a small game nfeels like they were using it to prototype these ideas and test the waters. Overall they did a good job; Alan moves better and faster, there is more weapon variety this time and the overall shooting is good. I'd say the game would offer a nice challenge on higher difficulty as Normal is on the easier side of things.
THere is an arcade mode which the game's shooting systems seem better suited for but I hadn't dabbled much in it, though I like some of the elements it utilizes for it scoring system.

All in all...I quite enjoyed the Alan Wake series, though the first game could really do with less filler.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
3 games beaten in January so far. Not bad when I wasn't sure how much I'd be able to beat because I want to focus on a lot of RPGs. Still... achieving a goal of 52 again is lofty, but if I set my sights on it early like this, it's possible.

Click here for my original post with all of this compiled nicely!

9KkSe4n.png

1. Yakuza: Like a Dragon (XSX) | 18th Jan - 65hrs | 5/5
Yakuza: Like a Dragon was a surprise hit of 2020 for me, and I really wish I could have finished it for last year's list. It's my first time playing a game in the series so there was just so much unexpected joy from this thing. I can't say I disliked anything about it. Ichiban is the best. The combat was fun and engaging, the story mixed drama with humor so damn well... I loved this game and am planning to jump into Yakuza 0 and Judgment real soon (fully aware they are both rather different!) A 10/10 game for me, and something I consider in the running for Game of the Year 2020.

Pw6NJXi.jpg

2. The World Ends With You (NDS) | 30th Jan - 17hrs | 3/5
This has been a game in my backlog since it released. I would always start it and just... never get far. I finally broke out the 3DS and pushed myself through it. All in all... I'm rather mixed to meh on this game. I love the soundtrack, but everything else was just... okay? Didn't care for hte script, didn't connect with the characters, and the gameplay on either screen didn't do much for me. I believe my thoughts may be different if I played it back at release, but it is what it is. Personally rated 6/10.

x6vyJOd.png

3. Call of the Sea (XSX) | 31st Jan - 4hrs | 2/5
This is a rather nice game. The voice actress did a wonderful job and the visuals are great. I was really in a pulp adventure mood when this came out, so I was eager to jump in. That said, it's slow, and its puzzles didn't set my world on fire. I also didn't really enjoy where the story went by the end of it, but that's okay. All in all I'm glad for the experience, and glad the Game Pass offered it up to me. Personally rated 5/10.

Jan 10, 2019
Played and finished a few absolute gems in January, more than I thought I would. Love reading everyone's impressions here!

Completed: 5/52

Main post.

2wEbG2F.jpg

Hypnospace Outlaw | Switch | 02/01/2021 | ★★★★☆

Wow. A pretty unique experience and I loved the sense of detail put into this. The 1999 vibes are strong in this game and it properly felt like I was browsing Geocities pages on a Netscape browser. Bonus points for originality. I took my time with it and completed this after around 8 hours.

ca5Jr0I.jpg

Outer Wilds | PS4 | 09/01/2021 | ★★★★★
I very briefly played this in the summer and didn't really feel like it. Luckily I felt like I should pick this up at a later time, so I did last december and was I wrong with my first impression! I quickly became completely engrossed in this game. Highly recommended if you remotely enjoy exploration, space and/or puzzle games. I completed this after around 25 hours but have yet to fly manually to the Sun Station.

UhB5C2n.jpg

The Red Strings Club | Switch | 21/01/2021 | ★★★½☆
I expected more, but it's not a bad game by any means and the story is engaging and well-written. The game is narrative-based and the gameplay elements are very, very light. It took me 5 hours to complete.

SxbNcod.jpg

Grindstone | Switch | 24/01/2021 | ★★★★☆
Fantastic game. Super addictive, slick presentation and a great soundtrack. One of those games where the portability and touch controls of the Switch are truly fantastic. Cannot imagine playing this on a television for the 35 hours I played it. One of my 2020 sleeper hits.

Z5b2KHS.jpg

Gris | PS4 | 31/01/2021 | ★★★★☆
I had played and completed this before on Switch and loved it, so I double dipped on PS4. The game is absolutely fantastic at what it does and simply put, a beautiful trip throughout. I reached the credits after around 5 hours.

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Since ffxiv seems busiest over the weekend, that seems like the best time to play something else. Otherwise I'm gonna be stuck on the one game for months.

hersheyfan

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Link to main post

January is in the books! I tend to start off each year with a bunch of shorter games to get some momentum going, but this year I ended up doing it over the course of an entire month, lol.

The Xbox ended up getting a ton of run - this January list is awash with green. That new console smell!
  • UFC 3 (XSX): I avoided this game upon release because of the predatory Ultimate Team stuff, but as it turns out all that shit is tucked into a side mode you can easily ignore. Had a blast, ended up buying UFC4 as a result.
  • Gears 5 Hivebusters (XSX): First real "AAA" game I played on the Series X. Looks phenomenal and runs well; a little short for the price though, I'd have been disappointed if I bought it retail instead of through XGP.
  • Peggle 2 (XSX): Ran through this old favorite again for achievements (beat this on PS4 before). Yeah, I'm still bad at Peggle.
  • Bejeweled 3 (XSX): Another achievement rerun. I need more match three so badly, Puzzle Quest 3 when??
  • Anger Force Reloaded (Steam): A really great shmup in the vein of Sky Force Anniversary (the kind where you can grind to unlock upgrades, getting more powerful over time). If anybody can recommend more titles like this (which aren't Sky Force games), recs are welcome!
  • Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard (Steam): Charmingly inoffensive adventure game, just like the first one. Bizarre, yet appealing sense of humor.
  • Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (XSX): It was so good to play proper Virtua Fighter again! I thought Dead or Alive had me covered in terms of the same "speedy/fluid 3d fighter" feel, but nothing compares to the original.
  • Call of the Sea (XSX): Intriguing premise for a first person adventure, lots of promising buildup, but ends on a wet fart and doesnt really amount to much. Great graphics, though. An ideal Game Pass title.
  • Final Fight [Capcom BEUB] (XSX): Going through another run over the Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle in 2021, this time on Xbox. For some reason, I always kick things off with Final Fight!
  • Snowed In (Steam): Pretty mediocre yuri visual novel. The characters are pretty fun, but it ends before it really has a chance to get going.
  • Girl Fight (XSX): While loading up on 360 games, bought this for cheap in a moment of weakness. Might just be the worst fighting game I've ever played in my life, a terrible Dead or Alive with Mortal Kombat style "canned animation" dial a combos.
  • ACA NEOGEO Metal Slug 5 (XSX): Wasn't a huge fan of this. The Metal Slug games seemed to get progressively worse as the series wore on, and this one was just kind of slipshod IMO.
  • Bright Memory (XSX): Beat this on Steam previously, but copped this just to guarantee myself an XB copy of Bright Memory Infinite when it launches. Janky as hell, but still dumb fun regardless.
  • Tetris Effect Connected (XSX): One of my all time favorite puzzle games! I've now beaten the Tetris Effect campaign on PS4, EGS, and Xbox. Where's my Steam release, Mizuguchi?
  • Sisters Royale: Five Sisters Under Fire (XSX): A quirky shmup by genre stalwart Alfa System. Some fun mechanics and a unique scoring system, pretty solid overall.
  • Five Dates (XSX): A surprisingly strong FMV experience about a Brit looking for a date using a faux Tinder equivalent. Worth it if you can score it for cheap!
  • When The Past Was Around (XSX): Charming short form adventure game with a bittersweet plot and great art.
  • Karakara (Steam): Abysmal visual novel. They did nothing at all with the unique premise (as far as Japanese games go), and there's only the barest of conflict before they wrapped things up.
  • Donut County (XSX): The closest any non-Keita Takahashi developer has ever come to capturing the zany Katamari Damacy spirit. Short but sweet.
  • Titanfall 2 (XSX): Still may favorite milshooter campaign mode ever - Respawn absolutely have a knack for big moments, and me knowing what was going to happen didn't lessen their impact on this Xbox runthrough.
  • Fighting Vipers (XSX): FV did not age well, it's nigh on unplayable by 2021 standards. Still got 100% achievements out of boredom.
  • The King of Fighters XIII (XSX): Blasted through story, arcade, survival and time attack several times, including a couple hardest difficulty playthroughs (not as bad as I thought it would be). Not my favorite KOF, but a solid entry to be sure.
  • Hypnospace Outlaw (XGP PC): A strange game about being a 90s internet community moderator, with a Netscape Navigator aesthetic. Very unique, I had some fun with it.
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake (Steam): Didn't like this one too much. The short length isnt an issue for me (a little under 5 hours), but the game simply isnt as fun as Resi 2. There's a lot of tedious, annoying parts I'd rather not have to replay; I'm doing a concurrent run of RE2R on Xbox and the quality is night and day.
  • Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Two Crude Dudes (NSW): Played this purely for the childhood nostalgia. Two Crude Dudes is NOT a good game to play in 2021.
  • River City Girls (XGP PC): I didn't like this much when it first came out (I refunded it on Steam, iirc) but later came around on it after playing the NSW version. Still a very solid game, the inverse difficulty curve is a little aggravating but you get used to it.
  • Untitled Goose Game (Steam): One of the few games capable of getting me to laugh out loud, UGG is just slapstick comedy at its finest, a PhD in trolling. Yes, the game wears out its welcome eventually (despite it being pretty short), but you'll get some fun out of this, definitely.

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

January
1. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC) | 1st Jan - 3hrs | 2.5/5 : Just fine, wasn't hard, but was a bit short
2. Final Fantasy VII (Switch) | 1st Jan - 35hrs | 3/5 : First time finishing the game thanks to fast forward on the Switch. I started it in December and finished it up right at the new year. I don't think it has aged well, but I get why people like it
3. Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS5) | 4th Jan - 28hrs | 4/5 : Very fun, very funny. Got a bit repetitive, and the puzzles were a bit too easy, so I didn't end up clearing the entire island
4. Cloudpunk (PC) | 9th Jan - 28hrs | 3/5 : Looked amazing for what it was. I was surprised that I didn't get bored, and that I liked the characters. Story fell a bit flat at the end though
5. Trails of Cold Steel 3 (PS5) | 20th Jan - 55hrs | 3/5 : Holy shit can I complain about this game's story. It was a good Trails game when talking about gameplay, but the amount of hidden agendas and bullshit going on just annoyed me.
6. Umarangi Generation (PC) | 23rd Jan - 3hrs | 4.5/5 : Great game. Different and the scenes tell an interesting story about the world
7. Wintermoor Tactics Club (PC) | 24th Jan - 5hrs | 3/5 : Decent game, I just thought it'd be more like X-com and less like a "finish in these many moves" type of strategy game.
8. Spyro the Dragon (Reignited Trilogy) (PC) | 30th Jan - 6hrs | 4/5 : Great remaster, great game, nothing more to be said
9. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! (Reignited Trilogy) (PC) | 31st Jan - 6hrs | 4.5/5 : Amazing remaster, my favorite Spyro

Current docket:
Spyro Year of the Dragon (Reignited Trilogy)
Battle Chef Brigade
Trails of Cold Steel4

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
header.jpg

Game 5: Sonic Adventure DX (PC) (1/5) (5.9 Hours) (February 1st, 2021)
I have so many bad things to say about this game, it's just straight up a mess. The gameplay ranges from not working to barely held together, the game gives you no direction, sometimes just dropping you back into the city after a mission only to tell you "Have you tried searching the whole city?" The music in this game blows, which is insane cause almost every Sonic game has an amazing soundtrack. There's only 1 memorable track in this game and it is amazing, but it's not enough to justify the package. My biggest gripe with the game is it's homing attack. It doesn't work 90% of the time and I've died because of it so many times playing it.

Onto Sonic Adventure 2 now, god help me

Main Post

Palomitero

Jan 2, 2018
Barcelona
Let's do this again.

2016: 26 games
2017: 68 games
2018: 47 games
2019: 53 games
2020: 52 games

GO8rq7k.jpg

01- No more Heroes -13h- 3/5.

As crazy and over the top as you can expect from a suda51 game.

Fun game with great soundtrack. Along with action, gore, blood and shady humor.

tenor.gif

02- Umineko- Questions -45h- 5/5.

Amazing VN experience, one of the best writing I've seen with complex characters.

Plotwist left and right with very crazy moments plot wise.

MUST play for thriller/detective fans.

Also amazing OST by zts.

03- Medium- -7h- 3/5

Interesting game, a mixture of point and click adventure with survival horror game touches here and there. The game tells an interesting story and great visuals.

Ashburner

Jan 12, 2018
Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking forward to participating :)

Completed: 4/52

1. Assassins Creed Valhalla - 26h+ - Completed: 14-Jan - 2.5/5

+Beautiful visuals
+Some fun characters
+Massive variety in how to build your assassin

+/- Lots of content but just feels a bit meaningless.
+/-Settlement building is a fun idea but it feels limited/somewhat pointless

-Just feels a bit dull to me.
-Repetitive.

2. Galerians - 10h - Completed: 17-Jan 2.5/5

+Bizarre/interesting story.
+Reasonable difficult for the most part.

-The game never really gets better outside of the first hour
-Not enough variety in attacks.
-Boss fights frustrating/time consuming. The game expects you to play it like a DMC game with tank controls.

3. Indivisible - 16h - Completed: 29-Jan - 4/5

+Beautiful art style
+Fun story/characters
+Fun platforming

+/- Turn based combat is fun but very easy.
+/- Not much variety for an RPG game outside of characters but I guess they weren't going for this.

-Mechanics aren't explained very well.
-The controls feel frustrating during platforming (sometimes)
-The platforming in the final section is tediously long.

4. The Medium - 7h - Completed: 1-Feb - 3/5

+Intriguing story
+Beautiful visuals
+Interesting characters
+Stealth sections are genuinely terrifying

+/-Fun but fairly straight forward puzzles

-Running sections are trial and error, easy to failed and the checkpoint pushes you too far back.
-Finding the tie clip was the hardest part of the game and it was within the first 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
rAOIGPd.jpg

5. Post Mortem (PC)

Old games are buggy - who could have guessed? It's difficult to progress when you find yourself suddenly unable to read any new notes you find. The game had a decent start but then it veered into the predictable cult storyline that I did not care much for.

0DoG4zH.jpg

6. Still Life (PC)

Of the three games this was the one with the least amount of issues. Not going to lie - I dig the game's aesthetic. Its heavy metal and art influences are exactly my cup of tea. This time the mystery and gameplay were much more intriguing. Although, I did not care much for the character switching; the main case was always more interesting than the flashbacks of the first case. The ending was pure sequel bait and disappointing.

ao3hi5V.jpg

7. Still Life 2 (PC)

Gameplay wise this game is much worse than its predecessor. It's a technical mess full of bugs, timed puzzles and limited inventory space. None of these issues plagued the first game. The environments were also better and more plentiful in SL than in SL2. Heck, most of the game takes place in one location which was a bit of a bummer. However, when it comes to intrigue this game does a far better job than the previous two games. The cat and mouse game that takes place, the red herrings and all the unanswered questions made me want to finish the game ASAP. The voice acting also took a hit. Not that it was ever particularly good to begin with, but some of the VA changes were dreadful. Some of the plot points were also rather...illogical. Overall, it was an okay-ish experience.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
greedfall_cliff_artwork_3840.0.jpg

3. GreedFall (PC/GamePass) | 1st Feb - 42hrs | ★★★★

GreedFall is a very interesting RPG with a lot of personality and a well-fleshed colonial-style world. The different factions, the characters and the style of the game are on point. It has that Bioware RPG feeling that has become so rare nowadays. The game does have it defects, though. It reuses too many assets, has weak exploration and too much backtracking and is too long. Due to this it certainly started a lot stronger than it ended. Nevertheless, its strenghts vastly outnumbers its issues. It's an ambitious game, maybe a little too much. All in all it is a very good game, and I think that a sequel could be really special with a higher budget and better pacing in its last stretch (no clue how realistic a sequel is with Focus / Nacon stuff, though.).

Main post

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Late to the party but figured I'd post. Had a down year last year, only got to 36. Played a LOT of long games and RPGs though. Hoping to balance a bit more this year, complete a few things I started last year, and make it. Slow start, only getting my first game beaten on February 1st, but I guess we'll see.

1. Dishonored 2 (PS4) 2/1/2021
2. Destruction All Stars (PS5) 2/4/2021
3. Goldeneye (Xbox 360) 2/5/2021
4. The Pathless (PS5) 2/8/2021
5. Ys IX Monstrum Nox (PS4) 2/13/2021
6. Commando (Switch) 2/18/2021
7. Coffee Talk (PS4) 2/21/2021

Last edited:

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Welp, only managed to beat one game in the entire month of January.

YlElEwy.png

1. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Xbox Series S)

Fucking loved this game. Like, there is plenty of room for improvement but holy fuck does this game do a great job of scratching that Star Wars itch. Solid gameplay and some decent customization. Story is also serviceable. This game is ripe for a sequel that just expands on everything. A truly incredible foundation was laid here and I can wait to see what comes next.

Main Post

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Now that we're into February, here's my first monthly update, with nine games beaten in January - off to a good start!

Master post here.

header.jpg

1. Paradise Killer (Switch) | 1 January 2021
Completed with all leads investigated fully, all items collected. Mixing elements from the Ace Attorney games and the Danganronpa visual novel series, Paradise Killer is an open-world detective/investigation game, challenging the player to determine the culprit for the murder of the ruling council of an island of immortals, a religious cult seeking to create paradise - and on the way, solving a series of related crimes. Immensely stylish and with a standout soundtrack, the game has been a truly memorable experience, with an intricate story that plays out as you delve deeper into the investigation.

The gameplay primarily comprises open-world exploration, seeking out clues to further your detective efforts, alongside interviews with a diverse cast of characters - each of whose guilt or innocence is for you to deduce. Ultimately, while the information gleaned from these interviews will be the same regardless of the choices that you make, the ability to approach them in any order ensures that they still evoke the satisfaction of successful deductions, while allowing the wonderfully well-characterised personalities of each to come to the fore. Eventually, the game culminates in a series of trials (which you can trigger at any point) - and while there's little in the way of 'puzzle' here once you've decided who to accuse, it's satisfying to see the effects of your accumulated evidence in each case laid plain.

The game does have a few notable flaws, in particular the decision to tie the ability to fast travel to the in-game currency, a limited resource, and that the various collectibles scattered about the island mostly serve little actual purpose, but overall it's a highly enjoyable, quirky experience to which I'd give a strong recommendation.

header.jpg

2. KIDS (PC - Steam) | 3 January 2021
Complete playthrough. A somewhat strange game, KIDS presents the player with a series of scenes populated by line-drawn people, with whom you must interact (mouse-only) to achieve a simple, but undefined objective - for example, jumping into a hole, or performing a 'Mexican wave'. More a minimalistic piece of art that a game, this is a very short experience and not really anything memorable. While I can see that there's the germ of a good idea here, as it is it's nothing more than a brief diversion.

header.jpg

3. The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game (PC - Steam) | 8 January 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game is a simple first-person investigation game, where the player takes place of the titular Frog Detective, tasked with solving the mystery of an apparent ghost haunting the island setting. The gameplay consists primarily of dialogue interactions with a cast of other animal characters, alongside solving various needs/wants that they each have, from collecting and exchanging a series of items. The game uses a very basic lo-fi 3D graphical style, giving it a very primitive feel, both technically and in its gameplay - but its trump card is great, goofily comedic writing throughout, ensuring that its sub-1 hour playtime is an entertaining experience.

header.jpg

4. Touhou Luna Nights (Switch) | 9 January 2021
Completed with 100% map exploration and 100% item collection. Touhou Luna Nights is an impressive fan-made 'Metroidvania', with characters taken from the Project Touhou shoot-em-up series. Having no prior knowledge of its parent series, the full significance of the plot details and character interactions likely passed me by, but regardless, there was enough here that's accessible enough to maintain interest to a newcomer. Of course, that's helped in no small part by the strength of the gameplay, based around two unusual, but well-implemented key mechanics - the ability to either slow or completely stop the flow of time (dependent upon the availability of a related resource) and a 'graze' ability, where *brief* contact with an enemy restores health/mana/time. These are both crucial to success, as many combat encounters (particularly later bosses) introduce elements of 'bullet hell' that will be familiar to shoot-em-up fans.

As 'Metroidvanias' go, Touhou Luna Nights is fairly linear, with the map divided into a series of areas that are explored in clear sequence and significant backtracking only really required for a few optional upgrades, but the layout is creative enough that this isn't too great a detriment. Detailed, expressive pixel-art graphics and a lively soundtrack complete a strong package.

header.jpg

5. Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard (PC - Steam) | 10 January 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Very similar in approach to its prequel, Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard sees the return of the Frog Detective, this time tasked to investigate the disruption of a parade in a dark forest. Much of what I'd say about the first game again applies here - so while the gameplay is basic and the 3D graphics primitive, excellent comedy writing means that the game is once again entertaining - and would be particularly worthwhile for younger children. The implementation of a notebook to track the investigation progress and the various anthropomorphised animal characters is a nice addition this time around.

header.jpg

6. Paratopic (PC - Steam) | 10 January 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Paratopic is an intriguing, strongly atmospheric and somewhat horror-themed 'walking simulator'. The retro graphics belie the game's surprisingly sophisticated storytelling, which directly depicts only various elements of a wider narrative that the player is left to fill out for themselves.

header.jpg

7. The Little Acre (Xbox One - Game Pass) | 17 January 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked (1,000G). A serviceable point-and-click adventure featuring an alternate world, The Little Acre's standout feature is its colourful, expressive cartoon graphical style with a well-characterised cast. Although entertaining enough while it lasts, the game's short length (expect to beat it easily within 2-3 hours, less with a guide) and fairly simple puzzles mean that ultimately it's not a particularly memorable experience.

header.jpg

8. Donut County (Xbox One - Game Pass) | 24 January 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked (1,000G). A short, generally unchallenging but relaxing game, Donut County riffs on the gameplay style of Katamari Damacy, putting players in control of a movable 'donut' hole in the ground, tasked to clear each stage of items as they fall into the hole, which gradually grows in size as more items are collected - allowing progressively larger objects to be collected. Brief humourous interludes separate each stage, following the motivations of the racoon responsible for controlling each hole, adding to the game's whimsical feeling, and within each area some slight variations to the mechanics allow for some light puzzle solving to keep up the payer's interest, such as allowing items to be set on fire after sucking up a campfire. A well-implemented use of the achievements system adds a handful of optional challenges to round out the package.

Sackboy.jpg

9. Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5) | 30 January 2021
All single-player stages mastered; all trophies earned aside from for completing "The Ripsnorter".
While comparisons to Super Mario 3D World are easy to jump to and the game's camera perspective certainly matches, Sackboy: A Big Adventure is very much its own game - without reliance to power-ups, progression through each level features much more focus on enjoyable, light puzzle-solving. Impressive level design and nicely varied themes throughout the game's five main worlds ensures that it's always satisfying to explore each level, rewarding exploration with collectibles that are hidden to just the right degree.

While the game is easy to skip through if you just want to reach the end, playing with a more completionist mindset ramps up the difficulty significantly - mastering each level requires achieving a high score, collecting every single key item and a zero-death run, though fortunately those three objectives can be achieved in different attempts. It's here that controls not being quite as tight as they might be occasionally becomes problematic and there were certainly a number of frustrating levels as a result - but there's usually enough forgiveness in the level design for this not to become too great an issue.

With co-op available throughout, Sackboy lends itself nicely to group sessions, though I really wish that the levels *requiring* co-op weren't integrated as part of the main 'campaign' progression. Without going into detail, I also have to call out the ridiculously difficult final challenge - something that I'm just not willing to throw myself against for the (literal) *days* on end that I see some people reporting.

Finally, as a PS5 launch game (albeit with a PS4 version available), Sackboy is graphically superb and makes decent use of the Dual Sense's haptics, even if it doesn't reach the brilliance of Astro's Playroom, while the charming soundtrack is nicely complemented by a handful of music-focused levels, with interactive elements and events playing out in time with recognisable licenced music, very much in the style of the superb Rayman Legends.

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Put away The Medium and Star Wars Battlefront II. Both were a ton of fun and very short.

main post updated.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
21. Final Fantasy II PSP
Amano_FFII_Cast.jpg

This being the originator of the SaGa series' mechanics, there are some aspects that will feel outdated, which isn't helped by how this version of the game still keeps some elements of the NES original, such as how leveling up spells and weapons takes a very long time. There is also a lot of back tracking during the game as you need to return to Altair to get your next objective from Hilda and main NPCs, which gets infuriating with how the movement can really feel slow at times, which is impacted by random enemy encounters. The end game really felt like it dragged esp. when movement in dungeons still feels sluggish with random encounters popping up and just making me frustrated.

I don't know if I'd ever replay FF2 in the future, though if I do, I'll utilize a better spell division among the cast so that their roles are better utilized.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
20 down, and so we go again.

21. Farm Mystery: The Happy Orchard Nightmare (Switch) - 13/02/21 - ~2 hours (100%)

I've stalled on completions due to dumping 25+ hours into The Binding of Isaac, 25+ hours into The Outer Worlds, and now receiving Super Mario 3D World..

But, there's always time for SHITE, and here's some 'Hidden Object' SHITE.

Incredibly simple puzzling, hidden object scenes, and a dreadful ghostly story. What else is there to say? An infinite hint system lets you bypass any bits that you find tricky.

22. Love Hero (3DS) - 26/02/21 - ~90mins (100%)

The 3DS eShop in 2020 and now 2021 is a truly odd place. With the last major release (either physically or digitally) being Persona Q2, and high profile games already slowing to a drip for the latter half of the 2010s anyway, most recent releases on the eShop are utter garbage. Multiple iterations of Arkanoid clones being sold at £7.99 a pop. Games that use the most generic assets available to cobble together simple Space Invaders clones. And then oddities like Love Hero. This game's eShop landing page gives away nothing. It's barely talked about online outside of a gamefaqs user review from its launch window.

I took a punt for the pound or two it cost, and it's a surprisingly decent time. 5 stages of simple shmup action - think more Atari 2600 visuals and depth than even the NES - but it wraps it all up in a strange vapourwave aesthetic. Notable artists like HOME provide the licensed (I assume?) soundtrack, each level unlocks a odd surgical imagery presented in pastel blues and pinks. A bit crunched female voice taunts you during the final boss encounter. Levels can be surprisingly difficult, but perseverance will see you through, learning the tricks of each stage.

Worth buying a 3DS for? Absolutely not. Worth playing? ...yeah?

23. Hello Kitty and Sanrio Friends 3D Racing (3DS) - 28/02/21 - ~6 hours (100%)

I've now beaten this game three times. On the Wii U, when I saw it cheap, blasted through the cups and adventure mode in an hour, and then sold it for £70 as it held insane value on the console for a short window; on the Switch, when I again saw it cheap and hoped it would hold a similar cash bounty (it didn't); and now, on the 3DS.

It's got a different name, but it's the same game. However, one major difference, and the reason this has taken 6 hours to beat rather than one, is the unlock system. Every paintjob, vehicle shell or character outfit is unlocked individually. In order to do this, you have to play every one of the 16 tracks *seven* times each. Yes, a race may only take 2-3 minutes, but by lord does it get tedious. Every character and vehicle controls identically. There is one difficulty and speed (pitched well south of Mario Kart's 50cc). Yet I sat across multiple play sessions and got it done.

For Kitty. For Hello Kitty.

24. Pokémon Snap (N64) - 28/02/21 - ~4 hours (100%)

That New Pokémon Snap looks great. And its imminent arrival seemed as good an excuse as any to crack out the original on the N64. A great photography-based rail shooter, only really let down by the technical limitation of the platform it was on.

Can you imagine this game with more locales? More organic behaviour? All 151 Gen1 Pokémon? I have no idea what's being included in the new game. No idea where it's being set, which creatures feature, how much content there'll be. But I had a great time revisiting this relatively slim title and nabbing photos of all 60-odd Pokémon included, and I can't wait for the sequel, even if my interest in the Pokémon franchise as a whole is slim to middling.

25. Urban Trial Freestyle (3DS) - 15/03/21 - ~5 hours (100%)

On paper, this is a really average rip off of Trials. No analogue acceleration or brake, and some occasionally uninspired track design and you'd expect this to be a pretty nothing title.

..and yet...

Whack the 3D slider up and it looks fantastic. A track here, a challenge there, it's a great handheld game.

Really enjoyed it, even if there's little more to really say about what is, in essence, a cookie cutter game.

26. Puzzle Bobble (PS4) - 02/04/21 - ~3 hours (All Trophies [PSN])

Got a PS5. So naturally I've used it to play a PS4 port of a twenty year old Neo Geo puzzler. I joke, of course. I've played a lot of Spider-man Remastered which is great, a bit of Godfall which is fine, even a bit of Balan Wonderworld.

But I did play and beat Puzzle Bobble too.

The trophies are incredibly tough until you realise how to play the game properly. Matching bubbles is fine and dandy. Beating levels quickly is great. Really though, you can hit ludicrously high scores in minutes just by setting up a big hanging cluster of bubbles, and dropping them all simultaneously by popping its 'anchor'. I struggled willfully the beat the entire game start to finish and was nowhere near hitting the 3 million points needed for the final trophy. Then I looked up a guide, realised I could change the way I played to maximise my score, and had it licked within 6 or 7 stages.

A nice game though. Always had a soft spot for Bust-a-Move / Puzzle Bobble.

27. The Outer Worlds (Switch) - 06/04/21 - ~40 hours (All Sidequests / Credits)

This is comfortably the worst way to play The Outer Worlds, but the smeary resolution and ugly textures take nothing away from how good a game this is.

I've tapped out of triple-A games for quite some time now, but it was a real joy to play a game with moral and narrative consequences. In terms of gameplay, it doesn't quite do the immersive sim thing properly, with even the original Deus Ex trumping it for options when it comes to choosing how to approach each scenario, but it still felt like my character build carried weight.

Frustratingly, despite speccing for diplomacy early on, balancing my character around the midgame meant that the end section became impossible tough as I wasn't a suave enough talker, nor strong and aggressive enough to make either conversation or combat that straight forward. The game has a great resolution though, at least for the path I took, and I can see myself playing through this again in the future; just perhaps not on the Switch.

Being able to tackled this game both docked and handheld was a real godsend though - I played a lot via the TV during periods of remote-working earlier in the year, and then when regular work ramped up again, was able to steal little bits of time here and there via handheld mode. I was worried that I'd get to a point and then just stop, as I'm often wont to do, but even with the PS5 arriving, I pushed myself to play the last 4 or 5 hours and mop up the last few sidequests to make this about as close to a 100% run of the base game as I could have done.

I had considered grabbing the DLC for the Switch as well, but I think I'll hold off. If the game gets a GOTY style collection at some point for the new consoles, I'd gladly pick it up again though.

28. Awesome Pea (Switch) - 09/04/21 - ~2 hours (100%)

I beat this on the Vita last year? The year before?

Either way, it's here again as it's part of Premium Edition Games 'Pigeon Dev Games Collection' physical release. PE have a lovely scheme running where if you beat a certain feat in game, they'll send you a stitched challenge patch as Activision used to do in the 80s with the 2600.

For this collection, it just asked you to beat any of the four games. And so I did!

It's still a wildly inconsistent platformer. Stages in the first world took me 50 tries, whereas I waltzed through the entire fourth and final world without dying once. Awesome Pea 2 is also on this collection, (and is also a game I beat on the Vita), but I'm strangely quite looking forward to beating that again as well, even if my badge requirements have already been fulfilled.

29. A Way Out (PS4) - 09/04/21 - ~5 hours (Credits)

I beat this a few years ago and had a great time. A strong, exclusively co-op experience that may go a little hard and heavy with its movie references, but overall delivers a really strong experience with a great twist. Maybe I'm a bit thicko, but I didn't see it coming, and the narrative is really, *really* improved as a result of the game forcing you to play with a second player.

My girlfriend, who enjoys games, but doesn't obsess over them quite as much as me, really enjoyed its filmic qualities, and despite struggling with some of the later action sequences (to be fair they are the weakest part of the whole package), seemed to get a kick out of the game from start to finish.

We've now played Brothers (by sharing a pad), and A Way Out to completion with one another, so I'm keen to pick up It Takes Two to explore the latest entry in the unofficial Josef Fares co-op trilogy.

30. OVIVO (PS4) - 25/04/21 - ~3 hours (All Trophies [PSN])

Another game I'd beaten prior, this time a few years back on the Switch.

It's still a really cool, loosely physics led platform game with a stark black and white art style, decent music, and deliberately obfuscated narrative.

The PS4 version is identical to the Switch, but I picked it up this second time as it had a limited physical release and I wanted a copy for the shelf. Red Art Games are the company you want to check out if you fancy flicking through its pretty art book as well!

31. Speed 3: Grand Prix (Switch) - May? - ~5 hours (100% I guess, unless it wasn't?)

The worst game I've played on the Switch. Dreadful handling. Dreadful visuals. Dreadful performance. A game that I can't conceivably believe was made by more than one person taking their first steps into game dev.

It's a racing game, so there's very little to functionally cover here, except for the bizarre way the career is structured.

First series: 6 tracks, 3 laps each.
Second series: the same 6 tracks, 2 lap qualifier on each (where it doesn't matter where you place), 5 laps each.
Third series: the same 6 tracks, 2 lap qualifier on each, 7 laps each, then the same again for all 6 tracks but on their reverse variants.
Fourth series: the same 6 tracks, 2 lap qualifier on each, FOURTEEN laps each, then the same again for all 6 tracks but in reverse.

The AI doesn't change at all. But there are more tracks. Meaning it can be harder to place first in the beginner's series as there is less time to overtake, and you'll likely win every track of the final series by between one or two full minutes.

There are unlockable cars, but beating the career mode doesn't unlock them all. Some of them are unlocked by setting a time on each time trial stage. Some remain padlocked. There are no guides online, naturally. Fuck knows. Who the fuck cares.

32. Loot Hero DX (Switch) - 04/06/21 - ~4 hours (100%)

Hold right until you can't hold right anymore. Then hold left, and tap the face buttons to upgrade one of four skills until you can start holding right again.

When holding right has become too easy, slay a dragon to make holding right hard again.

Incredibly simple - basically the gameplay loop of a clicker but with a paper thin RPG veneer applied over the top. I enjoyed it, even if I genuinely, without exaggeration, fell asleep during two distinct play sessions.

33. ABZU (PS4) - 13/06/21 - ~2 hours (All Trophies [PSN])

Why was Journey so good? There was an essence to that game that made me beat it, and then immediately beat it again on launch day on the PS3 that I never felt with Flow, or Flower, or years on in ABZU.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but the stunning artwork, sumptuous score, and wordless storytelling, just didn't grab me like Journey did all those years back.

At its most simple, I think it's the lack of human companionship present in these other games that makes Journey stand even taller over them. The little chirp you can let out in ABZU so wants to serve the same purpose as the whistle in Journey, except here you're calling AI fish or drones as opposed to another real life person with their own motivations on the other side of the world.

What ABZU is though is an audiovisual showcase for your 4K TV. Fuck me it looks great.

34. Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) - 27/06/21 - ~6 hours (Credits)

I know it's only a 5 hour game, at least in my first playthrough, but to finish a game of this import and reverence felt massive. My personal feelings around the game, as my first Metroid, started a little unsure, then very shortly after I'd come to terms with how it played and how it controlled, had me thinking 'this is a big old 10'.

Loved the atmosphere, loved the visual design, loved the music, loved the exploration, loved the back tracking and the ability gating. All great stuff.

Then I got to the final boss of the original NES Metroid experience - Mother Brain, and I had a big old huff because it felt so different from everything that had preceded it. This was a game of careful consideration and lateral thinking and explorative puzzle solving, reduced to a bullet hell encounter where you're stood on a platform just a few pixels wide, getting shot at from 6 directions simultaneously, locking you into a sort of stunned state as you fall into the lava below, and then fight through projectiles to seat yourself on the platform again, weather the storm again, and make slow progress firing rockets at the boss. Dreadful. In a remake that is happy to take liberties with the source material to make a better game, I don't know why this encounter wasn't adapted further to fit the tone of the rest of the game.

My frustration was allayed slightly, when I realised the game wasn't quite finished and I still had the Zero Suit Samus addendum to play through. I liked, but didn't love this section. Extra Metroid lore was good, and I imagine will put me in good stead to play Samus Returns at some point soon, but I found the layout of the final map area that this section takes place in pretty uninspired, and found the loose stealth / chase mechanic with the space pirates just wasn't overly fun.

So, a downward curve from Mother Brain to the credits, but, but but but, mission accomplished in that I am positively salivating for more Metroid. The whole point of this exercise was to try and get into the series before Dread was upon us, and I've certainly done that.

35. Futa Fix: Dick, Dine n Dash (PC) - 29/06/21 - ~3 hours (All Trophies [Steam])

Sorry, gang. I'm not writing about this one.

36. 100 Hidden... (5 x Games) (PC) - 07/07/21 - 90mins (All Achievements [Steam])

100 hidden cupcakes, mushrooms, snails 2, mice, cats.

Last year I beat the first 5 of these games. This year I'm back to finish the next batch.

Mushrooms was the highlight this time - 50 mushrooms to find in the black and white version of the image, then 50 more in the psychedelic coloured version. It's only a minor shift in the formula, but coupled with the genuinely surreal visuals, it was a nice little treat.

Cupcakes was the easiest - clearly aimed at a younger demographic.

37. Renzo Racer (Switch) - 08/07/21 - 3 hours (100%)

We all love a bad game, right?

Renzo Racer is fucking dreadful, and yet, it's not as bad as Speed 3. Graphics are perfectly serviceable, music isn't terrible, but the handling is dreadful, powerups are limited, and collisions, of which you will experience many, often shoot you up into the air, onto your head, or into opposing traffic. It's not good.

The tournament system as well, doesn't seem to acknowledge scoring properly either. One time I finished a set of 4 races in joint first, only for the game to tell me I had received 4th place, with a patronising 'better luck next time' message. Another tournament, I finished mid-table, well off pole position after the thing had wrapped, and I was rewarded with a gold cup. Bananas.

38. Poi (Switch) - 10/07/21 - 11 hours (100%)

It's a shameless riff on Super Mario 64, but it's decent!

Varied objectives, a range of collectibles, some so so boss battles, lots of hidden secrets. Visuals are serviceable but a bit bland, soundtrack is nice, effects work is bit 'recorded it with my pals in my bedroom'.

But, for an indie take on the 64 formula, it's solid. Of course this isn't a patch on Odyssey, but so many games that try to ape the late 90s 3D platformer fall so, so short, and Poi can hold it's head high and say 'we did a decent job'.

39. Epido (PC) - 12/07/21 - 7 hours (All Achievements [Steam])

Essentially a bullet hell shooter, but with a few.. tweaks.

Stages have popcorn enemies whizzing about firing bullets without any real rhyme or reason that allow you to power up, then bosses fight with more consistent patterns.

It's not the best bullet hell, of course it isn't. But, I did the whole game using an arcade stick, and it felt good to make incremental progress, level up my character, and eventually beat both the main game and it's DLC story start to finish as, arguably, a 1CC.

40. 30-in-one Game Collection: Volume 1 (Switch) - 28/06/21 - 6 hours (100%)

I have a soft spot for: a) shitty games, and b) arcade score chasers.

30-in-one is a classic Wii-era shovelware collection. 30 simple games which can be played solo, or with friends. Each one lets you shoot for a gold medal score though, and this was enough to keep me going for the 6 or so hours it took to beat the whole thing 100%.

Some games were obviously way better than others, but all in all, it's really not that bad at all.

Onwards to 40+!

Last edited:

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ahhh shit, here we go again.

Sauce Marlow | Games Completed: 31

Currently Playing:
- Balan Wonderworld (PS5)
- New Pokémon Snap (NS)
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (NS)

1. Rugrats: Studio Tour (PS1) - January - 6/10

2. The Dark Pictures: Little Hope (PS4) - January - 7/10

3. Rugrats: Time Travelers (GBC) - January - 4/10

4. The Medium (PC) - February - 4/10

5. The Wild Thornberrys: Rambler (GBC) - February - 2/10

6. Nicktoons Racing (GBC) - February - 5/10

7. Nicktoons Racing (PS1) - February - 6/10

8. Nicktoons Racing (GBA) - February - 7/10

9. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NS) - March - 8.5/10

10. SpongeBob SquarePants: Legend of the Lost Spatula (GBC) - March - 4/10

11. Rocket Power: Gettin' Air (GBC) - March - 2/10

12. Rocket Power: Team Rocket Rescue (PS1) - March - 2/10

13. Rugrats: Castle Capers (GBA) - March - 6/10

14. The Wild Thornberrys: Chimp Chase (GBA) - April - 4/10

15. Rocket Power: Dream Scheme - (GBA) April - 6/10

16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) - April - 9/10

17. SpongeBob SquarePants: SuperSponge (PS1) - April - 3/10

18. Astro's Playroom (PS5) - May - 8.5/10

19. Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (GCN) - May - 3/10

20. Hey Arnold! The Movie (GBA) - May - 4/10

21. SpongeBob SquarePants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman (PS2) - June - 6/10

22. Pokémon Trading Card Game Online (PC) - June - N/A

23. Rocket Power: Beach Bandits (GBA) - June - 6/10

24. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (PS5) - June - 6/10

25. Rocket Power: Beach Bandits (GCN) - July - 3/10

26. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) - July - 8.5/10

27. Jimmy Neutron vs. Jimmy Negatron (GBA) - July - 2/10

28. Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5) - July - 8.5/10

29. Fairly OddParents: Enter The Cleft (GBA) - July - 6/10

30. Rugrats: I Gotta Go Party (GBA) - August - 1/10

31. Resident Evil: Village (PS5) - August - 8.5/10

Last edited:

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
Alright, getting in on this:

1. Astro's Playroom (PS5) | 5 hrs | 7.5/10

2. Bugsnax (PS5) | 17 hrs | 8/10

3. Marvel's Spider-Man: Remastered (PS5) | 35~ hrs | 8/10

4. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) | 25 hrs | 8.5/10

5. Hades (PC/Switch) | 46+ hrs | 10/10

6. Half-Life 2 (PC) | 22 hrs | 8/10

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War (PS5) | 15 hrs | 6/10

8. Portal (PC) | 3 hrs | 8/10

9. Doom 2016 (PC) | 13 hrs | 8.5/10

10. Cities Skylines (PC) | 35 hrs | 7.5/10

11. Planet Zoo (PC) | 15 hrs | 8/10

12. Valheim (PC) | 70 hrs | 9/10

13. Loop Hero (PC) | 32 hrs | 8.5/10

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Game 8 down,

Bloodstained Circle of the Moon 2.Switch. I enjoyed the little throwback even if there were a few levels that irritated the Ever Loving Fuck out of me. I really can't wait for a proper Bloodstained 2.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Reserved!

2020 Total: 52

Let's see if I can get to 53 this year!

New: 5 | Replay: 0
  1. Marvel's Avengers (PS5 BC) | 4th Jan - 17h | 3.5/5
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) | 6th Jan - 6h | 3.5/5
  3. Outer Wilds (PC) | 9th Jan - 19.75h | 4/5
  4. Donut County (Switch) | 14th Jan - 2h | 4/5
  5. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster (Switch) | 26th Jan - 44h | 4.5/5
Slightly late January update!

#1 - Marvel's Avengers (Reassemble Campaign) (PS5 BC) - 3.5/5 - 17h

Picked this one up for $15 from Gamefly to play with my friends. I've heard a fair bit of negative reception but my friends enjoy it so I was willing to give it a shot at $15, and I can say I was surprised by the quality of the campaign. The writing was enjoyable and the character interactions were great, and I found myself really enjoying the combat. The more linear levels felt very fun to play and I had a genuinely great time with them. I played in Performance Mode. I was honestly prepared to give this game a higher score, but there were a few things that ended up dragging it down.

Even within the main story, they shoved in a few needlessly open areas. These areas didn't feel fun to traverse or explore, they just felt like a bit of a time waste as you could see a lot of repeating structures as you played more of them. And right near the end of the game, there's a multi-mission objective that seems to require RNG drops from enemies. That alone took me nearly 4 hours as I was pretty unlucky getting the rarer drop when I was even able to find that specific variety of enemy, bouncing from mission to mission. It felt like a huge slowdown of progression and was honestly quite bizarre to put in something like that right before the end of the game.

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but I'm admittedly skeptical of its quality after the open levels felt so repetitive and the campaign had a drop-grind right before the end. That all being said, the campaign was enjoyable enough that I'm still willing to give it a 3.5/5. Might be slightly biased as a Marvel fanboy, but whatever.

#2 - Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) - 6h - 3.5/5

I loved most of this game. Like really, really loved most of this game. The addition of biolectricity in the melee moveset made combat even more fluid than it felt in the first Marvel's Spider-Man. The game is absolutely beautiful, the characters are great, and the game really drives home a sense of community within Harlem. Playing it at 60fps was amazing. I feel like I can't really go on about some of it without spoiling or anything, but several aspects feel like a big step up from the predecessor. I wanted really badly to give this an even higher score.

But the game feels like it needed a bit more time to work out some kinks. It's the only game I've played so far on my PS5 that has crashed (granted, it's only the second PS5-exclusive title I've played), and every time has been a full hardware crash. The first time, my controller completely stopped responding in the middle of combat causing me to die. The game never went back to a checkpoint, and the controller kept pulsing with haptic feedback. The system didn't respond to the power button either, forcing me to unplug it. This happened three times throughout my playthrough, among a series of other glitches including: two side missions that I had to restart from checkpoint in order to fix an objective that I had already finished but didn't get counted as complete, two dialogue sections that required me to restart from checkpoint after they concluded because my character got stuck, and an instance of enemies spawning inside of a building they were supposed to be on top of.

It's a real shame, because there's a lot about this game I like as much if not more than the first Spider-Man. My only real complaint aside from technical issues is that I wish it was a bit longer because the story feels a bit too quick. If those get fixed up, the game easily goes up to a 4.5/5 for me.

Played on Performance RTX, got game + $20 Walmart gift card for $30 total.

#3 - Outer Wilds (PC) - 19h46m - 4/5

There's not a lot that I can say about Outer Wilds without spoiling besides "this game is very very good." I loved unraveling the mystery and the central mechanic was extremely cool to interact with. Figuring out what to do always felt really nice, like putting together pieces of a puzzle slowly but surely. My only real flaw is that sometimes things felt a little more vague than necessary, leading to what felt like a halt on progression. Other than that, I thought the game was a very enjoyable experience, and I found the ending pretty satisfying.

#4 - Donut County (Switch) - 2h - 4/5

Very cute game with a nice art style. Story is cute, dialogue is funny, and the game is short enough that the central mechanic of the game doesn't get repetitive. Nice game to finish in one sitting. Not much else to really say about it.

#5 - Final Fantasy X HD (Switch) - 44h - 4.5/5

There's a lot to say about this game. As evidenced by the score, I absolutely loved it overall. The story was fantastic. The soundtrack was phenomenal. The characters felt mostly believable and seemed to actually mature over the progression of the story. The only thing holding this back for me is that some of the bosses feel extremely difficult to prep for without getting obliterated by them at least once, and the transition from Game Over to back to your last save point takes a while. Other than that I genuinely loved the game! Won't dive too deep into the plot, but I did find it to be super engaging.

Oct 27, 2017
10. Astrid & The Witch - 3/5

A thoroughly enjoyable RPG maker game. The references are proudly worn in this one, with a lot of Undertale "recruit the monster party!" coupled with turn-based mechanics. This looks and plays like a great old freeware game - but it's a fun new freeware game! I was pleasantly surprised by little details that make the game more open, especially the ability to craft potions that grant abilities. By the end, my party of a Grandma and the Monster Daughters had it all and hashed it out with Mom.

Some of the writing is a little one-note, with most characters falling into the same kind of dialogue. But there's a good amount here past some internet-friendly writing, with some character design influences that seemed closer to the recent She-Ra than other influences. A few jokes even landed pretty well, particularly one in the dialogue within the final battle. This is an easy recommendation for a game to breeze through and enjoy, especially now that it's been ported to HTML5.

Play it here - https://leusyth.itch.io/aatw

MAIN LIST

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
6: The Messenger. End: 2/3/2021. (4/5)

This is an interesting game as it starts off as a very deliberate homage to the NES Ninja Gaiden games before transitioning into a Metroidvania about halfway through. Something like this probably shouldn't work, but I found myself having a good time.

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
MAIN POST

I told myself I'd do short writeups of everything I finished this year, so let's get into January!

1. Napple Tale (Dreamcast) - ★★★★☆

fE1kAes.jpg

This Dreamcast platformer was a nice way to start off the year. For those not familiar with Napple Tale (which I assume is most people, since it was only released in Japan), you play as a young girl who's mistakenly whisked away to a strange town that sits between life and death. I'm talking "the mayor is a frog who is part car" levels of strange (his name is Mayor Frogcar).

Napple Tale is probably best known for its amazing music by Yoko Kanno, better known for composing the soundtracks to anime like Cowboy Bebop. Her soundtrack is absolutely the highlight and adds some seasonal flavour to each stage. It was magical to listen to this song while seeing the first snowfall for the year outside. But beyond the soundtrack it's still an excellent game, balancing platforming stages with quests that have you making furniture for the weird residents of the town. You can also use materials from exploring to make creatures that help you out in stages, like by transforming into platforms or creating barriers. Despite this feature, the platforming is not terribly interesting and the game is incredibly easy. Still, the beautiful soundtrack and setting make Napple Tale well worth checking out, especially now that it has a full fan translation.

2. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PlayStation 4) - ★★★★☆

cfBLaZv.jpg

What a game. What a game that's almost impossible to discuss without spoiling anything. I loved the art, the music and the characters and the game did an amazing job of keeping the stories coherent and engaging while allowing players to see events out of order. Some of the characters' narratives were great, although I felt that 13 Sentinels piled in too many plot devices for the sake of paying lip service to every sci-fi work imaginable, some of which didn't seem to actually go anywhere. It also ended up being a bit too Japan-centric, with an offputtingly nationalistic vibe to the whole thing.

The strategy segments did a good job of mixing things up and I enjoyed them more than I expected. I wish the stages encouraged more interesting strategies than just spamming sentry guns and giant missiles, but I suppose that's what the postgame waves are for. It's got issues, but then so do all of Vanillaware's other titles and I still love them.

3. Sword of Mana (Game Boy Advance) - ★★☆☆☆

K0oaE6H.jpg

I didn't realise it when I first played Sword of Mana in the 2000s, but this game is a remake of Adventures of Mana/Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest on the Game Boy. I can't help but feel some of the appeal of the original is lost in this version. Sure, it looks and sounds nice for a Game Boy Advance title, but the additions to the story just slow things down. You can only inject so much moral ambiguity when it involves a character named Dark Lord.

You get to choose between two protagonists this time around; I went with the boy because I wanted to avoid using the game's annoying magic system as much as possible. You can choose what class to level up (or just put off levelling until you need that sweet HP/MP refill), which is kind of nice. I put most of my stats in strength and defence, which made for a weird experience since most attacks couldn't damage me but spells were often deadly. There's not really much depth to the combat so the developers tried to work in some of the features from later Mana games, like the crappy ring menus and a convoluted gardening system from Legend of Mana but they're not fun at all. I didn't bother with most of the side quests and breezed through the game in a bit over 10 hours. Kenji Ito's arranged soundtrack is great, but just play the original instead.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
2017 - 84 games
2018 - 76 games
2019 - 70 games
2020 - 83 games

Bit late getting my post in this year but here we are :P

3VgwS5P.jpg

#1 Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition (Replay) - PC - 48 hours 8.0

#2 DOOM 2016 (Replay) - PC - 21 hours 9.0

#3 Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (Replay) - PC - 8 hours 8.0

#4 Mafia: Defintive Edition - PC - 9 hours 8.5

#5 Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - PC - 5 hours 7.0

#6 Cyber Shadow - PC - 6 hours 8.0

#7 Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine - PC - 17 hours 7.5

#8 Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Replay) - PC - 9 hours 7.0

#9 Terraria - PC - 75 hours 8.5

#10 Lego Lord of the Rings - PC - 30 hours 7.5

qHzv8Lk.jpg

#11 Unravel 2 - Xbox One - 4 hours 7.5

#12 It Takes Two - PC - 10 hours 9.0

#13 Dead Space 3 - PC - 10 hours 7.5

#14 Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX - Switch - 20 hours - 7.5

#15 Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time - PC - 11 hours 8.5

#16 Halo 3 (Replay) - PC - 6:30 hours - 8.0

#17 Hitman 2016 - PS4 - 40 hours - 8.5

#18 Xenoblade Chronicles - Switch - 50 hours - 8.0

#19 Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4 - 34 hours - 8.0

#20 Outer Wilds - Xbox - 14 hours - 8.0

QX6v4MX.jpg

#21 Quantum Break - Xbox - 9 hours - 8.0

#22 Yakuza Kiwami - PS4 - 20 hours - 7.5

#23 Destroy All Humans! Remake - Xbox - 10 hours - 7.0

#24 Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu - Switch - 30 hours - 8.0

#24 Rage - Xbox - 10 hours - 7.5

#25 DOOM Eternal (Replay) - Xbox - 30 hours - 9.5

#26 Shovel Knight: Spectre of Torment - PC - 3:30 hours - 7.5

#27 Code Vein - Xbox - 21 hours - 7.5

#28 Toy Story 3 - Xbox 360 - 11 hours - 7.5

#29 Star Wars Squadrons - Xbox - 7 hours - 7.5

#30 Omno - Xbox - 4 hours - 8.0

WYHFJOp.jpg

#31 Final Fantasy X - Xbox - 42 hours - 8.0

#32 Darksiders Genesis - Xbox - 15 hours - 7.0

#33 Raji: An Ancient Epic - Xbox - 4:30 hours - 7.0

#34 DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Xbox - 9 hours - 8.5

#35 Hades - Xbox - 60 hours - 9.0

#36 Psychonauts 2 - Xbox - 16 hours - 8.5

#37 Perfect Dark - Xbox - 7 hours - 8.0

#38 Final Fantasy X-2 HD - Xbox - 31 hours - 7.5

#39 The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Xbox - 13 hours - 6.0

#40 Aragami + Nightfall - PC - 8:30 hours - 6.5

Y2wh9Fj.png

#41 Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighbourville - Xbox - 25 hours - 7.5

#42 Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Xbox - 17 hours - 8.0

#43 Kena: Bridge of Spirits - PC - 7 hours - 7.5

#44 Night in the Woods - Xbox - 9 hours - 7.5

#45 Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - PS2 - 8 hours - 7.5

#46 Alien Isolation - Xbox - 12 hours - 7.5

#47 Metroid Dread - Switch - 8 hours - 8.0

#48 Outlast + Whistleblower - Xbox - 5:30 hours - 7.0

#49 Dragon Quest XI S: Echos of an Elusive Age - Xbox - 84 hours - 8.5

#50 The Evil Within 2 - Xbox - 17 hours - 8.0

XblMESR.png

#51 Eastshade - Xbox - 8 hours - 8.0

#52 Pokemon Ultra Sun - 3DS - 42 hours - 8.0

#53 Flynn: Son of Crimson - Xbox - 6 hours - 6.5

#54 Saints Row - Xbox 360 - 16 hours - 7.5

#55 Grand Theft Auto III - The Definitive Edition - Xbox - 20 hours - 7.5

#56 Halo 4 (Replay) - PC - 7 hours - 7.5

#57 Halo 5: Guardians (Replay) - Xbox - 8 hours - 7.0

#58 Ruined King: A League of Legends Story - PC - 26 hours - 8.5

#59 Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Replay) - Xbox - 18 hours - 8.0

#60 The Forgotten City - Xbox - 7 hours - 8.0

#61 Nier Automata - Xbox - 30 hours - 7.5

#62 Carto - Xbox - 6:30 hours - 7.0

#63 Spider-Man (Replay) - Dreamcast - 3 hours - 7.0

#64 Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro - PS1 - 3 hours - 7.0

#65 Halo Infinite - Xbox - 17 hours - 8.0

#66 Remnant: From The Ashes - Xbox - 15 hours - 8.0

#67 Guacamelee 2 - Xbox - 7 hours - 7.5

Last edited:

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never tried to do this challenge in all my years of being an Era member and I think it's time to change that. I have the power of Gamepass on my side. Balee.

Finished.
1. Dragon Age Origins (Xbox One) | February 3rd - 118hrs
I have a LTTP/RTTP thread on the game (and series as a whole) if you're interested in reading my thoughts on it.
2. Dragon Age 2 (Xbox One) | February 26 (i think) - need to get time
I have a LTTP/RTTP thread on the game (and series as a whole) if you're interested in reading my thoughts on it.

Last edited:

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Main Post

6. Metro last light - 4/5

I absolutely loved Metro 2033, and for all its fault, I came to admire the atmosphere and ended up really enjoying what the gunplay turned into during the last sections of the game. Last Light pretty much improved upon everything from the first one, and it's a claustrophobic game, with some oppressive environments. With some incredible pacing and memorable characters, last light is another thrill ride from start to end and scared the living crap out of me at times. I am getting sick of the silent protagonist part though because Artoym clearly has a voice actor who talks between loading screens. I can't believe that's still a thing in Exodus. Either way, 4A Games are absolute kings at atmosphere, and I can't wait to dive into Exodus now.

MetroLastLight_051013_1600.jpg

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Completely and utterly forgot to post a January update, so here:

1. Tacoma (PC, 2017) - 2:23 - January 2
2. Assemble With Care (PC, 2020) - 1:33 - January 3
3. Morphblade (PC, 2017) - 1:09 - January 10
4. Outer Wilds (PC, 2019) - 16:52 (+1:43 in 2019) - January 10

Tacoma is the standout of the bunch; considering how much I liked Gone Home it's shocking how long I let Tacoma sit on the shelf, but at least I got to it. Assemble With Care is a lovely puzzle-y visual novel, and a nice reminder of what vacations can be like (remember those?). Outer Wilds was pretty good and a game I'm glad to finally cross off my list, but I don't think I got as much out of it as other people; it's just fine to me, not a lifechanging experience.

For February, I'm still working on a few games from last year, notably Yakuza: Like a Dragon and Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin, both of which I've enjoyed quite a bit but haven't been able to devote a sustained effort to (though I managed to power through a few chapters of Sakuna recently). This really became obvious when Atelier Ryza 2 arrived: I was skeptical after the first Ryza felt like just a decent Atelier game as opposed to a great one, but Ryza 2's regained that classic "one more synthesis" quality to it that literally eats time. Pouring a few hours every night into Ryza 2 is no problem, which makes me wonder why I'm having trouble finishing Yakuza and Sakuna.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Most recent game down is Sense a Cyberpunk Ghost Story for Switch.

I like this game a lot but it has issues. The aesthetics are phenomenal andI love the story, the characters everything but the core gameplay loop. It's fun but there is a mix of massive backtracking and lots of point and click style touch everything you can to see what does something.

Late game they introduce some puzzles and combat which are nice andgive me hope for a sequel.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MASTER POST
COMPLETED 2021 [15]

m15.png

Some real highlights and disappointing games in this group

Starting off with the low end:

• GRIS was a very beautiful game, both visually and audio, but I found the gameplay really lacking and overall I was bored a majority of the game.
  • Like GRIS, Cyber Shadow looked fantastic, but the overall world was very inconsistent and did not capture the tight level designs of the 8bit era.
Middle of the road:

• Maneater - Not a great game, but I really enjoyed playing it and it is the perfect game to relax & play in 30 minute increments and decimate a species.
  • Nekketsu Renegade Kunio-kun- Japanese version of NES game Renegade. Its definitely dated but I had a ton of fun with this game. It provided a good challenge and then once mastered was a great game to do additional runs and try to beat my best time.
Fantastic:
  • Black Mesa - Only just getting into PC gaming recently, there is a lot of series I have missed. A remake of the first Half Life, I was in awe a majority of the game. Removing the polish that today's graphics and lighting bring, the overall design and mystery throughout the game was top notch

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
7: Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. End: 2/4/2021. (4.5/5)

One of the best JRPGs of its generation comes to Switch with some rather nice extras. Including a new playable epilogue.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Main Post for Full Thoughts

The games I beat last month were mostly new experiences that were all fantastic. The big highlights for me last month were Resident Evil 2, Rainy Season, Captain Toad, and 13 Sentinels.

I've already added 3 to February despite being only 4 days into the month.

Some short thoughts:
- Hades is probably the best game I've played this year.
- Skater XL doesn't have a proper ending, but I'm ready to call it complete after putting so much time into it.
- The Pedestrian is so damn cozy, but also a pretty challenging game, so it kind of cancels out? lol

IyEtt5X.png

rljBI1Z.png

0caZ7kv.png

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, wow! We have February already. Time to reserve my spot, I was lazy enough last year with just a list and ratings. I wanted to update this list as soon as I finish a game this year, but here I am ...

01. THE WITCHER 3: BLOOD & WINE (Steam) | 1st Jan - 25 hours | 4/5
I replayed the whole game last year with both addons on my new PC. I finished the main game on PS4 at launch, so I didn't play the DLCs yet. For all the praise this one gets I have to say that I liked Heart of Stone more. It had a better story and stronger, more memorable characters. I didn't even like the story of Blood & Wine very much. Some parts like the fairy-tale world felt underdeveloped and the main characters overacted. The drama at the end felt very forced and for an entity that undefeatable the last boss fight was kinda shit. And Toussaint is beautiful but ultimately more of the same barren Witcher 3 open-world and combat jank. Honestly, I didn't enjoy my second play-through of The Witcher 3 and the DLCs as much as in 2015 when this was the shiny new thing. The game has major problems, overall I think it's one of the most overrated games of all time seeing how much praise it gets everywhere even nowadays. Or some things just didn't age that well with all the open-world games around these days. It's still a very enjoyable game with lots of charm, great characters, stories and a fun world to explore though.

02. DESYNC (Steam) | 2nd Jan - 4 hours | 3/5
Feels like an indie-synth-wave-version of DOOM 2016 without the lower difficulty settings. The game is short and hard but also rewarding and fun to play. The ultra-stylized graphics paired with the synth-wave soundtrack by Volkor X and Daniel Deluxe set up a great atmosphere. Weapons and side-arms can be upgraded. Apart from the main campaign, there is an extra-challenging version of each level and high score-lists to compare your skills to others.

03. TITAN QUEST: ATLANTIS (Steam) | 6th Jan - 5 hours | 3/5
This one is not as good as Ragnarök. It's shorter and the setting is Greece mythology again. Ragnarök was a nice departure of that and I'd wish for more mythologies to be explored in further addons or maybe a sequel. That said, it's still a solid DLC with new locations to explore, new monsters, bosses and loot. There is also a gambler merchant where you can bet millions of gold for the chance of rare loot. And an arena with waves of enemies to defeat. I am not into wave-fights so I didn't play a lot of those though. If it's your thing you might get more hours out of this than me. Lots of people complain about the performance problem but I can't confirm these. In very rare cases the game can run like an online game, even when played offline. But that's happening in the whole Anniversary package and not only in this DLC for me.

04. SAKURA WARS (PS4) | 22th Jan - 40 hours | 4/5
I was expecting an action-RPG with the usual social stuff in between the "JRPG" parts. But this is more slice-of-life / anime-adventure game than anything else. There aren't any RPG elements at all. This isn't too bad because the battles play a lot like classic Dynasty Warriors games and I am a huge fan of those. That said I throughout enjoyed my time with this game. It's the right mix between pervy comedy humour, social links, crazy animu-mecha/demons-story and light-hearted slice-of-life stuff with likeable characters all around. The presentation is great, especially for a niche Japanese game. Great looking locations and characters, solid animation and good voice acting. The only downside is that not all scenes are voiced, which feels very awkward in some of the cutscenes. And for anyone who is into Koi-Koi, there is a whole sub-game in this called Koi-Koi Wars where you play against most of the characters you meet in the game.

05. ACES OF LUFTWAFFE: SQUADRONS (PS4) | 23th Jan - 5 hours | 3/5
A classic horizontal scrolling Shoot'em Up game. Instead of one fighter, you control a formation of four fighters that all have their special abilities and buffs for the team. The graphics are very mobile-y and the dialogue and story are cringe - even so bad that I turned off the annoying voices. But that doesn't change the fact that this is a rather well made Euro shoot-em-up with fun upgrade mechanics and some extensive boss fights. The difficulty curve is a bit off at times with some serious spikes, but nothing you can't overcome with the right amount of upgrading and choosing the right skills. The game comes bundled with a big DLC that I didn't play yet. It offers just as many missions as the original and four new, unique pilots with their own skill trees.

06. BORDERLANDS: BOUNTY OF BLOOD (Epic) | 30th Jan - 8 hours | 4/5
The third DLC continues the greatness of the first two. This time it's in a western setting where you help a little settlement fight against raiders and ... dinosaurs. It's ultimately more of the same but in the case of Borderlands 3 that isn't anything negative. I really Enjoyed the western setting.

07. STAR WARS: SQUADRONS (Steam) | 3rd Feb - 35 hours | 4/5
21 years after Star Wars: Alliance we finally got another Star Wars flight game that isn't a pure arcade shooter. While this is still pretty arcadey and more comparable to Wing Commander: Prophecy or Starlancer than the deeper and more complex older X-Wing games it hits the exact right spot for me. While the multiplayer is pretty bare-bones with just two modes it offers a fully realized campaign that spans around 8 hours including cut-scenes, walking on ships and talking to crew members and some really good missions. It's easily the best space-sim in decades. Never reaching the highs of classics like Wing Commander: Prophecy or Freespace 2, but that is fine for a smaller "AA"-project. It's also priced accordingly with 40€. And even when the multiplayer isn't rich on content it's still tons of fun ranging from smaller dog-fights to full-blown space battles with capital ships and AI-controlled fighters. The main drawing-point it the VR support. And sadly this is also it's biggest weak-point, at least on PC. Lots of technical issues, poor performance and straight out bugs that still haven't been fixed can seriously hamper the enjoyment of the game. But if you tried VR once you don't want to play this flat again. It is an awesome experience if everything works as intended.

08. OVERLOAD (Steam) | 3rd Feb - 6 HOURS | 4/5
Remember Descent? No? Well, then you are probably under 30 years old. Descent is a 1994 shooter classic. But instead of running around like a dude or dudette with guns blazing you control a space ship and fight your way through narrow mine shafts on remote space stations and fight murderous robot armies. The big difference between normal FPS is the fact that you can turn around 360° - just like in a space sim. The 360°-Shooter genre never got the recognition it deserved, sadly. So so, to this day, the 1996 successor to Descent, Descent 2, is still the most famous and beloved game in the genre. A true classic in the PC gaming space. There was a third game in 1999, but that wasn't as good as the first two. Other genre representatives like Forsaken aren't anything to write home about, too. Almost 20 years later, in 2017, Overload released. It is Descent 4 in all but name. Even developed by parts of the stuff of the original. And it has VR support. So, after Star Wars: Squadrons, basically another dream coming true. And yeah, this game delivers. While it lacks the "rough" but charismatic look of the original and feels a bit too colourful in places it plays just as well as Descent 1+2. The weapons, the enemies, the level design, the key searching and door opening ... everything is very reminiscent to the original and just as fun as in 1994. Even more in VR which can put quite a burden on your head though. Fast turning, rotating and drifting in VR needs a strong VR stomach for sure.

09. BORDERLANDS: PSYCHO KRIEG AND THE FANTASTIC FLUSTERCLUCK (Epic) | 04th Feb - 5 hours | 4/5
The fourth and final DLC of the first season pass. And just as good as the three other ones. This time you dive deep into the crazy mind of Krieg, the playable Psycho from Borderlands 2. It's easily the craziest and creative DLC of the four but also felt like the shortest to me. Some awesome vistas and boss fights but also some very lacklustre side-quests where you just pick up an item a few metres away from the quest giver.

01. THE WITCHER 3: BLOOD & WINE (Steam) | 1st Jan - 25 hours | 4/5
02. DESYNC (Steam) | 2nd Jan - 4 hours | 3/5
03. TITAN QUEST: ATLANTIS (Steam) | 6th Jan - 5 hours | 3/5
04. SAKURA WARS (PS4) | 22th Jan - 40 hours | 4/5
05. ACES OF LUFTWAFFE: SQUADRONS (PS4) | 23th Jan - 5 hours | 3/5
06. BORDERLANDS: BOUNTY OF BLOOD (EPIC) | 30th Jan - 8 hours | 4/5
07. STAR WARS: SQUADRONS (STEAM) | 3rd Feb - 35 hours | 4/5
08. OVERLOAD (STEAM) | 3rd Feb - 6 HOURS | 4/5
09. BORDERLANDS: PSYCHO KRIEG AND THE FANTASTIC FLUSTERCLUCK (EPIC) | 04th Feb - 5 hours | 4/5

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
8: Cyber Shadow. End: 2/5/2021. (3.5/5)

Another game clearly inspired by the classic NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy. I don't think this game succeeds as well as The Messenger even though it is a pretty straight forward linear 2D action platformer.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Main Post

7. Ape Out - 4/5

Pretty awesome game with some fantastic audio/visual design. The dynamic soundtrack is really special, and Disc 3 was intense as well. Recommended for people that liked Hotline Miami and Whiplash (heh)

That epilogue was awesome, really nice twist on the formula

ape_out_leaping_1920.0.png

Last edited:

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Main Post

7. Ape Out - 4/5

Pretty awesome game with some fantastic audio/visual design. The dynamic soundtrack is really special, and Disc 3 was intense as well. Recommended for people that liked Hotline Miami and Whiplash (heh)

That epilogue was awesome, really nice twist on the formula

ape_out_leaping_1920.0.png
Any tips for the epilogue? I got all the way there and then haven't been able to beat it.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Any tips for the epilogue? I got all the way there and then haven't been able to beat it.
Yeah, pick a path, like the bottom one, and follow that. I'd recommend taking out everyone in that path at least, so there are only enemies in the middle section when you have to go back. Taking out everyone in that particular path also helps since you'll have blood splatter to follow (this sounds weird but trust me, haha)

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Yeah, pick a path, like the bottom one, and follow that. I'd recommend taking out everyone in that path at least, so there are only enemies in the middle section when you have to go back. Taking out everyone in that particular path also helps since you'll have blood splatter to follow (this sounds weird but trust me, haha)
Thanks - I think that's broadly what I was trying before I gave up, but I may see about giving it another go.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
22. SkyDrift
DC17C2947F44757F6A527DC77FDC14DA789720C6

Must've taken me 3 days to finish this, those last set of races were difficult, woof.
An indie racing game where you race with planes and use power ups to take down opponents. I didn't feel like there was much rubber banding but the farther I got the harder races became, but I managed in the end. The game consists of 7 'cups' but I felt that 6 would've been enough as there aren't many tracks in the game to race on, and they'd be repeated along with their mirror versions in later races of a cup.
THe PC ver. has a fan made 60 FPS patched launcher which is how I played it and the animations were pretty smooth, although some ffects like motion blur, I couldn't disable. This isn't a game that I'd recommend to anyone who could get nauseous from heights, speeds or the way planes could go up and down, but if you ever get the chance, give it a play, it's a nice indie racing game overall.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
pIQoz5E.png

5. The Medium - 7/10

The Medium has gotten most of its attention for its innovative dual reality gameplay but during my 10 hours of gameplay I found that the atmosphere and story are the real standouts in this latest addition to the GamePass library. While the game falls a bit flat in its sparse gameplay elements (the stealth and puzzle sections are all rather simplistic), its presentation is much better. The environments are beautiful and project melancholy and sadness while the characters are equally well defined. I think the game could have benefitted from more interactive gameplay elements and a more open game similar to Resident Evil or Alien Isolation. Who knows, maybe a sequel can deliver on this.

1. Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing In Disguise (Switch) | 7th Jan - 20 hrs | 5
2. Bugsnax (PS5) | 10th Jan - 12 hrs | 7
3. Demon's Souls (PS5) | 17th Jan - 25 hrs | 6
4. Hitman (PS5) | 24th Jan - 50 hrs | 8
5. The Medium (PC) | 6th February - 10 hrs | 7

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
destruction-allstars-logo-wallpaper-72257-74811-hd-wallpapers-thumb.jpg

8) Destruction All-Stars(PS5)
2/2/21-2/4/21

I want to say I put about 10 hours into the game and feel it's enough to write up a mini-review. Game is solid and I am glad it was free after a curious enough decision to have made this a $70 dollar purchase! It's a PS5 exclusive that borrows from Destruction Derby's draw of wrecking the opposition to Twisted Metal's different characters and modes catered for combat and what you get is pure nonsensical fun and a game that may not be for everyone but if given enough time to appreciate it for what it is, a real timesink in it's own right. For me, I was very close after 1-2 hours in deleting the game and saying "This isn't for me" but I must say playing each of the 4 modes(STOCKPILE, CARNADO, MAYHEM & GRIDFALL)'
tutorial mode, I don't know what it is but the game slowed down for me and I began to figure out what I must do. Sort of a no brainer comment here but cannot stress it enough to immediately play each of the tutorial modes to get what Destruction All Stars is all about.

In a nutshell, you pick a character(from a diversity standpoint, this game's roster has a lot to offer. Different ethnicities, body types, and personalities
for a player to choose from!) and whether your doing this solo or with a team of online players, you have to pick up any car available that's scattered throughout the arena and you are to hit and destroy opponents vehicles in the ultimate "Kill or be killed" sort of game. Very simple enough but what this game has from a deepness standpoint perspective is different slams, different supers that are earned overtime in a game and different vehicles, all that differ amongst characters, in your way of securing the most points or lasting the longest and securing victories. It's a game that really needs to be played and tried for yourself to get the addictiveness of the game, there is a lot of strategy involved in these modes. Whether it's how aggressive one is when holding tons of gears that need to be cashed in for the CARNADO mode to help your team win to how aggressive you are in GRIDFALL with one wrong move sending you off the over the time collapsing ground with 1(Or more if you can earn them) live, this isn't some mindless bash a car sort of game, you sort of having to use your head to succeed and find success in this game.

On the negative side, single player content is bare bones, I think to compensate making this a free to play game with PS Plus, was the decision to hide 3 of the 4 single player modes behind a paywall that you can pay on PSN to purchase, seems kind of lame that this is the only way to play these modes. To not have a chance to earn the credits necessary to play these modes is a short sighted move in my eyes because what it means is outside of the tutorial, a standard random arcade mode and 1 of the 4 mini-adventure modes, you have a game that is primarily focused in on 4 modes that can wear it's welcome out quickly for plenty. The game runs it's course rather quickly for me and the lack of a real campaign stinks.

I also think for a trophy collecting standpoint that some of the trophies made in this seem pretty silly. Some of the exclusive character trophies require you to successfully use your super a couple of times ONLINE which means it's relying on the player database to last a long time for people trophy hunting to get the achievements and instead of having this setup throughout the games you play, they want you to get the trophies in a SINGLE GAME which is asking a lot and essentially means your going to have to do a lot of these in the MAYHEM game where there is no other objective except kill, kill and kill. Seems like one of those games that you are in best interest to get these trophies ASAP since the game may not have longevity. Should have made these trophies available offline IMO, even if you require them to be played on normal or hard mode to get them.

This is a game that over time will wear thin for most but I think if purely played for 1-2 hours a day, you can find longevity with this game and if the playerbase lasts long enough that there's enough player's sticking around for this game(It might have a Fall Guys sort of lasting which was for a couple of months AT BEST), is something fun to play if you want to kill time and have some fun. Game is flawed and bare bones in some regards but ultimately I had a lot of fun with what I played and can definitely see myself returning every now and then for a few pick up games. Curious what updates this studio does for this game.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
main post

GGxGOmE.png

3. Genshin Impact: The Chalk Prince and the Dragon (v1.2) (PC/Mobile, ~150 hours) Feb 3

Genshin's 1.2 update was even bigger than the last one. They added a new area to the map, Dragonspine Mountain, which looks small at first but is actually super dense with all the cave systems and verticality it brings. The update also introduced new gameplay mechanics, new enemies to fight, new characters to meet/play, and a story revolving around "The Chalk Prince and the Dragon" as the update is called. The story was interesting but the ending felt anti-climactic, as if something else was supposed to happen next. The co-op boss made up for it though with all the fun I had there trying different team compositions with dozens of people to see what would clear the quickest.

Somehow got lucky enough to get both Albedo and Ganyu, the featured 5-star characters for this patch, and they're super fun to play. However, the game is really stingy about giving you resources so I'm starting to get discouraged about obtaining new characters. Hard to be excited when I can't even use them until I grind out their levels, artifacts, weapons, and talents...

It's kinda crazy I'm still playing this game daily after it being out for months now though. Figured I'd be burned out by now but as long as they keep putting out quality content, I'm here to stay.

It'll probably be a while before we get another new area but 1.3 seems like it'll have enough stuff to keep us entertained for a bit.

ztRzpF1.gif

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This year I'm in. Currently highly motivated to finish a lot of games. So far I've completed Yakuza (7) - Like A Dragon and Far Cry New Dawn (Platinum trophy), both on PS4.

I will update this post at a later point (Scores, hours played, opinions etc.)

Now I'm jumping/switching between 19 games on PS4, stuff like the Spyro Collection, Redout Space Assault (Star Fox gameplay), Star Wars Battlefront 2 Campaign (only when I'm fully intoxicated, it's so terrible), Shadow of the Tomb Raider (good and polished impressions in the first hour I have played so far), Taiko No Tatsujin (want at least to finish every song without mistake on normal. Great game), Battlefield V (oh no, another dice campaign), Sakuga: of Rice and Ruin (Already a fan), 13 Sentinels (holy shit), Inertial Drift (Nice and addictive gameplay), Fight 'N Rage (local coop! Nice pixel art and hype shit happening on screen), Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ (I'm ready for Falcom Persona), Trine 4 (back to 2D gameplay, local coop fun and lovely colors), Dead Or Alive 6, Vampyr, Final Fantasy 9 HD, Gravity Rush 2 and Nioh 2

And there are so many new releases incoming. Ys 9 is my most wanted for February.

Last edited:

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
the-medium_mk5h.jpg

15. The Medium (Series X) | Feb 7 | 8 Hrs | ★★★★

Great looking game. The split screen mechanic was cool. Not 100% sure I followed the story because some characters I thought were different but that's fine. I enjoyed my time with it and being on Gamepass is pretty damn great.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
05 | Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Switch | Feb 07 | 5+ hrs | 4/5
c8VaEmV.png

Adorably cute puzzle-ish platformer game. I never played the Wii U version; I played this solo on the Switch system. I did not try it on a TV with a controller. There were a few levels that were difficult; you had to dodge enemies while using the touch screen on the Switch to interact with your environment. It felt like you need three hands at times. I'm not sure if those levels are easier to do with the controllers. The rest of the levels felt more balanced.

But special kudos to the level designers. I loved the very stylized isometric levels that showed underground, water, and the occasional building cut in half. Incredibly creative and fun. The characters and enemies were adorable. It was hard to be too upset at them if you were killed.

The gold levels were fun to play. Basically a race to get as many coins as possible while earning you lives. There was so much more I could collect. My game time included the base game, some of the bonus levels, and the Special Episode DLC. I wasn't super impressed with the DLC since it was recycled base game levels with different mechanics. There were only two? levels that were new out of 18. The boss was recycled too. But I was surprised by the bonus levels. If you're a collector or want more of a challenge, I would recommended those after the main game.

Main Post

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
23. Deponia
4880f40947d96ebeb95c9d3e4095e774.gif

So...I decide to go through some games that I've had for years as I clear my backlog. Deponia is one of them.
The game kept the save from the last time I played it.
The save is from 2014 when Daedalic published 'Deponia Complete' which combines all 3 games into 1 lengthy game.
6 years.
S I X Y E A R S

*Sweatyblobemoji goes here*

The game has some really nice and lovely visuals, though the animation are hit and miss with a lot of stiff animations for Rufus and some other characters. The english translation has some spotty translations but gets the job done. I wasn't TOO impressed with the game as I found myself interacting with everything in the hopes I can get an item or figure something that I can use my items with to be able to progress.
I plan on clearing all 4 Deponia games eventually.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
DK_Country_2.jpg

4. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (Switch) | 7th Feb - 7hrs (started in 2020) | ★★★

I had never played Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, even loving the first one as a kid playing on my cousin's SNES and really enjoying Returns on 3DS. After playing the first one when it released on Switch (and loving it all over again) I finally played the second one. While it had many great and entertaining levels and fantastic music, it just didn't fully click with me. I found it too gimmicky, with several new levels often having some kind of hook only to be forgotten after finishing the stage. I didn't like the new animal companions (flying the parrot felt like a chore). Maybe those kind of platformers just aren't for me anymore. Nevertheless the platforming is high quality and I did enjoy it overall. Just far less than its predecessor.

Main Post

Last edited:

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
15. Mortal Kombat 11 (PS5) | 2/1/2021 | 5 hrs | 4.5/5
I pushed onto MK11 after getting through MK9 and MKX. I really enjoyed the story in this one since I'm a sucker for alternate timeline stuff. It was so damn goofy and all ham but it was so awesome. I also enjoyed the gameplay. It really has gotten better on each game.

16. Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath (PS5) | 2/1/2021 | 3 hrs | 4.5/5
I started Aftermath right after beating the base game. The story was even better with the introduction of someone from the original 1995 movie. He really hit it out of the park and his acting hasn't missed a beat since the movie. I'm really excited to see what Netherrealm does next.

Main Post