• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Main Post

8. Ghostrunner 3/5

I really enjoyed this one!

dWwvqyz.jpg

Amazing core gameplay, solid platforming, and some surprisingly well-designed combat encounters. Thought the story was pretty predictable even though the voice acting was decent, overall. Oh, and our guy talks, which is always a plus in first-person games. I think the bosses were a bit lacking, and the first one was the best because it really felt like a test of your platforming skills. The game looks lovely, and I'm shocked at how well it runs on my setup (3600x + RX 580). Would appreciate it if they scale down those puzzle sections in the sequel if there ever is one. Those really killed the pacing at times. Highly recommended if you want Katana Zero in first-person with some neat Titanfall styled platforming!

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

4. Sonic the Hedghog Pocket Adventure- Neo Geo Pocket Color - Score - 7/10
Decent enough old school Sonic game. Really impressive on the hardware but it didn't really do anything new.
sonicpocketadventure-1126-224202.png

5. Adventure Island - NES - Score - 3/10
This game was awful. I thought I had played it in my younger days but now I think I played 2 and 3. Every level basically looks the same and the boss of each world is the same thing. It wasn't very fun and if you actually make it to level 8-3 you have to get extremely lucky on a pixel perfect jump/hit enemy to complete it. I had to resort to save states and it still took me well over 100 tries. After finishing this I looked more into it and found that it is considered one, if not the, hardest games in gaming and mainly due to the mechanics and the BS in those last levels. The creator himself couldn't even get through it.... TRASH!
maxresdefault.jpg

6. Mirror's Edge - PS3 - Score - 7/10
Really enjoyed running/jumping and solving where to go. I did not care for the combat or any situation where I had to fight or quickly know where to go to avoid any enemies. Happy to finally complete this one though. Put it off for way too long.
apps.15969.68416368999479584.89b36c57-6423-4e10-945f-b73fe790db76.e1df7c2e-c104-43f5-a1e3-49b65605db53

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
MAIN POST

I'm really blasting through these at a good pace, though I feel like that's mostly because I'm not working for the month.

13. Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition (PC) | 3.5/5
If Uncharted was an interactive adventure movie, then playing Bulletstorm is like playing a big budget popcorn flick. Everything about this game is over the top and incredibly dumb, however, it was a blast to playthrough. The emphasis on pulling off creative kills is fantastic and really adds a lot since the levels are kind of basic. They give you the tools to pull off some incredibly gory and oddly satisfying kills with a large crunch and I'm all for it. The story, however, is fairly generic though I do think that it's saved by the dialogue. Has it aged well? Probably not, but, it works for this game. Overall, this was a fun shooter to go through and I'm kind of interested to replay the game as Duke Nukem at some point.

14. GRIS (PC) | 2.5/5
Maybe it's because I just finished Bulletstorm previously and I wasn't ready for a 2D version of Journey, but GRIS was kind of boring to play. The platforming, levels, and abilities are all pretty standard and didn't really add anything to push it over or leave much of an impact on me gameplay-wise. Despite that though, this game is a 5/5 visually. It's absolutely beautiful, especially with these color palettes in certain sections like the forest. The watercolor aesthetic with the fluid animation of GRIS running around coupled with the soundtrack are really something when it's all together. Playing this game didn't leave much of a mark on me, but I'll admit that it was a treat to look at.

15. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS4) | 4/5
All I wanted from a follow-up was just for it to be as great as Drake's Fortune, but Uncharted 2 delivered something way better. The story and characters are fantastic still. We've got a bigger roster of characters that just fit right in with Nate, Elena, and Sully. It's great to have the adventure go global, adding some variety to the puzzles and shootouts of the game. The overall gameplay though remains unchanged from the previous, though it did feel much easier to playthrough on hard than UC1. However, I wasn't much of a fan of keeping things stealthy. Maybe I'm just bad with these types of sections, but it did feel difficult trying to find good openings and staying hidden within some of the smaller locations. Overall though, I loved it. I dig these games way more than I thought I would. Looking forward to jumping into Uncharted 3 soon.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
11307aFwOy9cd3JhuFGaf1NiJdfuKAlmAfZQgt4Ya6wRJDhEH9OajlE_nmJ4jNj6umQhIk6lBaEaJgOGWAcqMhSXbfQUYuK6.png

5. Yakuza 3 | 9th Feb - 20hrs | ★★★

The Yakuza series is exceptional. Great characters, hugely entertaining over-the-top storylines, a world which feels very much alive and just a special awesome feel make it a really special series. Yakuza 3 delivers on all these fronts, even though I liked the overall plot a little less than the one from the other games I played. I did find the side contents and mini games much weaker than in the other games I played (Zero and the Kiwamis). Certainly it is partly due to its age, but even taking it into account it felt lacking. I also felt the main story felt short, giving me a feeling of "Huh, it's already the last chapter?" So to me it ended up being the weakest game of the series up to now, but the weakest Yakuza is still a damn fine game. And the main theme and intro are the best in the series up to now. First thing I did after finishing the game was to add the theme to my playlist on Spotify. So good.

Main Post

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
9: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. End: 2/10/2021. (3.5/5)

I don't usually go for these kinds of games, but hearing it had the Star Wars license, and that it was supposed to be good, I decided to give it a shot. I found it to be enjoyable, but not without problems. Maybe it's because I played on last gen hardware, but I found several parts of the game difficult to navigate because of several glitches.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
24. Chaos on Deponia (Deponia 2)

More Deponia, more of Rufus' asshole-ness @_@.
Had to use a guide at a few points where I got stuck but the usual formula of clicking everything and exhausting every dialog til I found the solution continues in this game...and likely into the 3rd game~

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
25. Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen

VAE VICTIS

One way I can describe it to the cool kids is that it is 'Gothic Legend of Zelda'. It is a game of its time but I like the idea and concepts behind the level design and its light puzzle elements. The journey was nice but I felt like a variety of story bits could've been explained better, especially if one comes from Soul Reaver to this game.
There is potentiel for a remake that adds in a variety of QOL improvements but as is it is a solid action adventure game that has some great voice acting, music and an interesting setting
VAE VICTIS

...but really the voice acting is an odd mixed bag: Tony Jay and Simon Templaman's performances are astounding and their tone is magnificent, but then you have some of the antagonists/members of the circle of nine sounding like an evil wizard from a saturday morning cartoon.

At any rate, it makes this theme have a stronger emphasis now

VAE VICTIS

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
26. Monstrüous

When the game's description stated that it is a short, under 1 hour, puzzle game...I was at least expecting a bunch of puzzles.
Monstrüous is a short indie game where your four heroes face off against a monster. There are 8 commands and the objective is to find the proper order of commands in order to defeat the monster.
It took me a while to figure out that certain hero commands will trigger a certain action from the monster, as I've been stuck before trying to figure out the proper order of commands and constantly failing or restarting @_@.

It's a nice little game but...I was expecting more :P If anything, I wouldn't mind trying out a puzzle game by the dev if they decide to make a bigger project.

27. Gunbarich
a1b04fa1-49fd-484a-b9d0-0532a7d1a856.png

A brick breaking game with a small smidgen of Psikyo's bullet hell/shump antics mixed in by the last half set of levels. The overall concept is neat but the unbreakable bricks are a nuisance and I constantly feel like I need some advanced mathematical calculations or some shit in order to position a rebound in order for the ball to bounce and get rid of bricks @_@ The last half set of levels are harder and I was pretty frustrated trying to clear some of them. At least it had some decent boss fights.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Main post

A PS1 month I guess is the theme for Feb for me.
final-fantasy-viii-remastered-switch-hero.jpg

5. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered (7.5/10) 1/30/2021 - Switch
Finally returned to this after all these years. I played the original back on PS1 when it dropped but don't remember much of it other than restarting a dozen times. I wanted to replay mostly for the story which is only ok to me. Squalls shift to liking Rinoa comes out of nowhere and Rinoa herself is just... the worst kind of person. That said I enjoyed it. I really like the bright high technology world they have here.

Best of all was the additional x3 speed, max hp and speed for battle, and no encounters. It made the game easy when I wanted it to be and bearable when grinding for junction fodder. I enjoyed it a lot thanks to these!

Tomba%21_NTSC.png

6. Tomba! (6/10) 2/7/2021 - PS1
This is the first time I tried it! Played the demo dozens of times as a kid and finally played through this on recommendation from a friend. I wasn't expecting a JRPG style platformer but here we are. The amount of side quests is pretty surprising but I found the world really charming. The story was almost nonexistent too but that did not make it a weirdly compelling game to play. It wasn't too long and it is oddly tricky in parts but none the less a fun little platformer with tons to do. I don't really like platformers aside from really super duper easy ones so I had troubles, but thanks to emulator save states it was all gravy until I beat it.

That jungle stage though. Fuck... that kind of nonsense was outdated and offensive even when I was a kid, how did that shit make it in.

220px-Galerians_Coverart.png

7. Galarians (6.8/10) 2/13/2021 - PS1
Fun little Resident Evil clone. Trade in guns for psychic powers and dank herb jokes for actual pills and needle injections and we got ourselves a game! It's probably one of the better clones of RE of its era after Silent Hill but still not an amazing game. There is a lot of jank in its gameplay mechanics I noticed that can be both exploited and a bit nonsense. That said its oozing atmosphere. Story is nonsense but the concept is awesome. Short as hell as well rounding out at about 5 hours or less despite it spanning 3 discs. Mostly because the thing is packed to the brim with pre-rendered cutscenes. I enjoyed this replay after 15+ years for sure. Definitely can't make a game about 14 year olds taking drugs and injecting themselves with stuff/murdering a bunch of people these days but its a unique game that survivial horror fans should at least give a shot.

Not scary aside from those two door openings in disc 2 that are loud as hell haha. Made me jump higher than a RE game.

Phantasy_Star_Online_cover_art_jp.png

8. Phantasy Star Online (ver 1.0) (6/10) 2/13/2021 - PC
Been playing this lately for fun on a private server. Its a nice blast from the past but like a lot of online games of its era, does not really respect players time. It's nostalgic and I actually like the world and setting but the game is a slog alone. The forest area feels so well designed and unique compared to the rest of the 1.0 areas its crazy. The others just feel overly big. That said its fun playing where the looter genre came from almost, once again. I'll try to beat the ver.2 stuff as well but don't know if it will hold my interest much longer. The difficulty vs. fun is wearing off quickly after beating the last ver.1 boss.

42637-rapid-reload-playstation-front-cover.jpg

9. Rapid Reload (6/10) 2/14/2021 - PS1
Neat little side scrolling shooter just like Gunstar Heroes. Lots of explosions and neat bosses but its a pretty tough but short game. With only 7 stages and the last one basically just being a boss, its not exactly amazing in content. But it has two different characters with different takes on their weapons which makes it worth a play through or two. I ran through it with cheats and seems like it would take weeks to beat while learning the patterns haha. Made by the same people who did Wild Arms which is pretty obvious given the character art. Aside from gameplay there isn't much else to see in the game since its thin on story as well.

Interesting game but clearly made quickly and on a budget. Even some of the mechanics like the grapple are only used in like 2 spots which is odd.

header.jpg

10. Wolfenstien II: The New Colossus (7/10) 2/14/2021
Took me months to beat this. I started last year but played like a stage or two every two or so months with like 5 months between my last session and the one before. The opening segments did not really draw me in to keep playing seriously but by the end my opinion on the game turned around a lot. The game starts with lots of smaller stages and very few all out gunfights which surprised me but by the end there were plenty of those in the back half. The amount of story and exposition for characters too was surprising. I enjoyed it but mostly because the last half which saved it. There is something just "off" about these two modern wolfenstien games that does not click with me but I also enjoyed parts of them. Maybe its just the combat situations never really satisfy me outside a few areas. The dedication to making their game world however is really compelling.

The characters really sell it though. They were all awesome. I'd love to see the cast from this return, hopefully with more interesting combat areas and situations.

611ZT6YTF2L._AC_.jpg

11. Crisis Beat (8/10) 2/15/2021 - PS1
Heard about this random beat em up on a youtube channel and I LOVED IT! as a fan of beat em ups I was really surprised how instantly fun this was. It's very similar to Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Cop which is always fun. Only did one play through but will try all the characters soon. Each has a slightly different story but probably the same main stages at some point from what I can tell. It's not the most refined or content rich game made or high budget but its just a fun beat em up with 4 different and unique feeling characters. It's a decent co-op adventure if you got a friend as well. I really liked the context "cinematic combos" too that end by smashing the enemy into an object or background like barrels, balconies, or displays. Its so satisfying it. Never released in North America but the PAL version is English ready so I recommend it for beat em up fans.

3rDCUNHpy5SS581WJAt-gxuIA4yUH4s_oGCTf-bTZkQjP1ePwRVKSIsXnah0DWKxXDXIZ7AWjhY8vbBRw-lbsA

12. T.R.A.G. aka Hard Edge (5/10) 2/20/2021 - PS1
Another childhood game I never beat. It's another RE clone but what I did not remember was that its got some beat em up vibes in it too! 3 of the 4 characters are melee fighters and even the 4th has melee too. That said theres a little enemy variety and the bosses are pretty wildly unfair compared to the mechanics. Overall though its a small scale RE style title that takes place in a skyscraper... but only on literally 4 floors somehow haha. It feels like half a game but whatever. The story is bad too. Villains show up out of nowhere and seemingly know the characters but there isn't any setup. Also the requirement for the good ending is obscure as heck needing to get to the last boss within 10 minutes while also beating two bosses of course screwing you over if you saved before then. Also there are no extra weapons or goodies in the first playthrough. If you beat certain bosses with certain characters you get their next weapon and color variation. But wildly enough, you can't equip different weapons and the EX color at the same time haha.

This game is pretty trashy but I had some amount of fun with it. I don't recommend it for my fellow RE style game fans.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post

-------

3. 7 Wonders II - 4 hours
Back in the '00s, MumboJumbo was making and publishing high-quality casual games, and 7 Wonders II one of them. It's a well-thought Match-3 game with addicting gameplay, polished UI/UX, and quality sound design, which makes it incredibly fun to play. The only downside is the pre-historic 4:3 fixed in-game resolution, but it's a minor downside compared to the positive sides of this game. Definitely worth giving it a try if you are looking for a simple casual experience.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
10: CrossCode. End: 2/14/2021. (4/5)

An interesting ARPG with a lot of puzzles for the player to get through. It moves at a pretty solid pace (except for Chapter 8). Just a really solid, well-made game. Really looking forward to seeing what the development team does next.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Main post Here

5 - Hitman 3 - PS5 - 15hrs / 9th Feb - 9/10
I could never get into Hitman. I only played the tutorial missions in Hitman 1 and I found the first mission in Hitman 2 infuriating and never got past that either. I'm glad I decided to give 3 a go despite my better judgment. For some reasons, it finally clicked and I loved every minute of the game (well, apart from the train level but I don't think it counts). I even started through Hitman 1 now and really enjoying it.

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

January update: 3/52

I'm a bit behind schedule, but it'll most likely even out during the year (or get worse!) so I'm not too worried about that. Got diagnosed with Covid early on in the month which menat about two weeks where I was just sitting in my apartment feeling sorry for myself and not having the energy to play anything. When I finally got healthy and started feeling like a real human being again, I continued with my Resident Evil series replay that I started last year, and beat Dragon Ball Z Kakarot which I'd been slowly playing since I got it during black friday last year. It wasn't a super great collection of games I played, but it was a solid start to the year!

Now, more detailed thoughts on said games:

WfWqWtU.png

1. January 21st | Resident Evil 3: Nemesis | Playstation | 2h 18m | Replay | ☆☆☆(/5)
Played the game on hard mode.

I last beat Nemesis in December, and it's very unusual for me to replay a game this soon, but I felt like I had to give the game another shot. It's praised by a lot of people and I certainly didn't play it under ideal circumstances last time. The game's also short enough that I thought I could beat it in an afternoon now that I know all of the item and puzzles beforehand.

And beat it in an afternoon I could! Didn't really find any new appreciation for it, though. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad game. I just find it very unremarkable and the things that make it unique annoy me more than anything else. It's still classic Resident Evil so there's fun to be had, but the much more linear nature of Nemesis makes progression feel less rewarding. In 1 and 2 there were doors throughout the entire game that you walked pass without being able to open until much later, and the feeling of finally getting to go past what has stopped you for a long time is almost completely lost here.

Nemesis himself, while cool, is just a more annoying Mr. X (from the original 2, not the remake). It's not like he always kills me or anything like that, but he doesn't really add anything to the game other than being in the way. Having him just stalk towards you in a narrow corridor you have to get through isn't scary, it's just annoying because I know I'll probably take a hit from him. Mr. X could at least be efficiently "killed" every time he was encountered, but Nemesis has so much health that it just isn't a viable strategy. Plus he's got maybe the worst boss fight in the original trilogy where you fight him poisoned which means you can't see how much health you've got left except for when Jill is close to death. Pretty bad boss fights overall in this game tbh, though I did enjoy the final one which was more of a puzzle than just shooting a big monster full of lead.

The more action oriented gameplay is fine by me. It might not be exactly what this type of game excels at, but it works fine most times thanks to some great camera angles which gives you a good view of where enemies are. The dodge mechanic is pretty awful, though, and having it be mapped to the same button as shooting was a bad idea. The randomization of items and enemies are good for keeping you on your toes even on replays, but just like Nemesis they're mostly just annoying. They either make the game incredibly easy, or pretty difficult and I'd prefer if I could choose that myself.

I did enjoy the story and settings, and the graphics are incredible for a PS1 game! The branching paths also added a lot to the game's replayability and actually do change things up quite a bit. Like I said - it's a good game but it can't really compare to the great 2, and while it certainly plays better than 1, it just lacks the spirit which that game had. It's also incredibly strange how the developers didn't want to say Barry's name in one of the endings and never quite show his entire face, even though it's obviously him. I won't stand for this Barry censorship. Both him and Jill need to return for RE9!

Actually looking forward to playing the remake later down the road. I've heard they cut the clock tower, but that's like ten-fifteen minutes of the original game so I'll probably survive. Just want to try out version of this action game by developers used to actually making action games and not slow paced puzzle games with action elements to them.

Soundtrack highlight:
Staff & Credits (this is probably my favorite Resident Evil track, btw)

Ff3Morx.png

2. January 23rd | Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot | Playstation 4 | 44h 30m | ☆☆☆
I almost felt bad playing this game. I bought Yakuza 7 and 13 Sentinels on release and have owned Hades and Kentucky Route Zero for quite a while, but I still chose to play Kakarot over all of these critically acclaimed games. Still a pretty fun game, though.

I haven't actually seen or read Dragon Ball Z, so playing Kakarot was a pretty new experience to me and I somewhat understand how this franchise can be so popular (and why the Buu Saga seems to be the one people like the least). The characters are all charming, there are a lot of strong emotional moments and the action is intense (though it's pretty obvious that this game likes to cut corners whenever possible, leading to what I'd guess is at times a pretty disappointing experience for fans of the anime/manga, plus graphics quality even more inconsistent than the FF7 Remake).

The game itself isn't really anything special, but it does more good than bad at least. The story fights are mostly fun except for the ones where two or more fighters gang up on you where there's hardly any opening for attacking back, but they're all fairly cinematic and by the end of the game when you've unlocked basically every ability, the spectacle of it all is a sight to behold. The semi-random battles on the world map are to the game's detriment, though. They're so frequent, and completely devalue the fights in the game's many side quests (which really weren't that inspired to begin with) which usually are against the same type of enemy (though higher leveled). I realize that this is an RPG and people need to be able to level grind, but a better exp distribution from main story and beating the aforementioned side quests would have probably been a better idea than filling up the world map with all of these boring, overlong fights against generic foes.

I did actually like the world maps themselves. I know it's empty and maybe a bit too big, but I really enjoyed just flying around it, seeing the sights and picking up different materials or finding those items that references the original Dragon Ball anime. The different maps should probably have been more condensed for a more focused experience seeing as CyberConnect2 didn't seem to really know what to do with them, but they're fine.

So yeah, fun game but certainly not anything that special if you're not the biggest Dragon Ball fan around (and considering how many times these stories have been told through video games, maybe not even then). Would be fun to see CC2 use the foundation of this to develop a Dragon Ball game based either around Super or the original Dragon Ball anime!

Soundtrack highlight:
In the Hall of the Gods

w2KU0kU.png

2. January 28th | Resident Evil - Code: Veronica X | Playstation 3 | 3h 28m | Replay | ☆☆☆
Resident Evil - Code: Veronica X is not a good game if you don't know certain things beforehand. Like having to put weapons in the item box before switching from Chris to Claire, keeping the fire extinguisher even after using it early on in the game, or just simple things like where to go in this huge, backtrack loving game.

I sort of like the game, but that's probably all because I have a lot of experience with it (though this is the first time I've beaten it since 2016). I like the dark atmosphere, cheesy but ambitious story (even though part of it is a blatant Psycho ripoff) and while I will admit that the backtracking is bad at times (especially during the first half of Chris' chapter), there are parts of the game that I genuinely think are some of the best that the classic RE games have to offer. Like the Antarctica segments, for example. Just fun puzzle solving in small enough locations that said backtracking is never a chore, unlike how it is in the army base where it just takes forever to get from one corner to the next.

Certainly not great gameplay-wise, though. Despite all its problems, Nemesis did update the gameplay for a smoother experience, like improving the auto aim, not making the player push a button to go up stairs and just generally making the pace of the game quicker. Code: Veronica forgets basically all of this, delivering what might be the slowest game in the series, going back to having stairs as a hidden loading screen, and using an auto-aim system that's just... awful. It certainly aims automatically and you can technically change what to aim at with L1, but I never really felt like I could completely trust it. Sometimes Claire will aim at an enemy behind her from far away, and sometimes she can't. There's no apparent consistency to it, I found.

There's also a problem with the fact that none of the weapons really feel that impactful, neither in the animations when Claire fires, or when hitting an enemy. Zombies barely react to gunshots anymore, and they also have a nasty habit of somehow falling towards Claire when falling down, and if close enough they'll immediately bite her (which doesn't do too much damage; Claire has an insane amount of health) without the player being able to do anything about it. It's not too bad, but a noticeable step back from previous games in the series, where the feeling using weapons really emphasized the survival horror aspect - you could feel every bullet matter through how player and enemies reacted to shooting and getting hit by it.

Code: Veronica X is certainly not a game to recommend to RE newcomers. It has some awful roadblocks which can force the player to reset if they don't know about them beforehand plus some terrible backtracking, but I enjoy it. It's difficult, but not too difficult, some locations are fun to run through and the insane story's a hoot. The game also has some pretty incredible facial animations for a 2000 game. The graphics overall don't look all that great, but the characters atr surprisingly great at emoting. And not in the Kingdom Hearts way where one 2d face is swapped for another in an instant, but in the way that's actually animated. Truly impressive stuff.

Soundtrack highlight:
Theme of Alexia Type 2

Currently playing
Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (Switch)

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
February month-to-date:

5. Super Metroid (NSW) | Feb 1 | 4/5
Been a few years since I played this. Still as stellar as ever. For some reason I kept dying during the Ridley and Mother Brain fights this time. I'd love to see a remake if only so we could get movement controls that feel less stiff. It's rough trying to map controls to achieve good gamefeel in this game.

6. The Legend of Zelda (NSW) | Feb 3 | 4/5
No-death run! I haven't come even close to making this happen before. Felt really gratifying to do a fairly optimal run of the game. Might come back to do the Second Quest (almost certainly NOT a no-death run) later this year.

7. Super Mario 3D World (NSW) | Feb 12 | 5/5
I remembered loving this game, but this replay absolutely blew me away. I think I might like it as much as Galaxy, and Galaxy is up there with the GOATs for me. The adjustments to running speed kind of messed with me, but it's still fundamentally the same game I love but on Switch. Can't believe Switch is assembling the dream Nintendo Greatest Hits catalog.

8. Bowser's Fury (NSW) | Feb 14 | 5/5
This is a great foundation for what the future of 3D Mario should be. Love that they melded the open exploration of 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey with the power-up moveset from the 2D/linear 3D titles. It's a matchup that I always knew I wanted, but never knew how much. I think my dream Mario game would have a Lake Lapcat style hub that leads the player to and through a series of 3D World style courses, with collectibles and secrets to find along the way.

Original Post

Last edited:

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Main Post

Uncharted playthroughs continue. I was planning on replaying Uncharted 4 on Hard, but I figured I'd take a crack at the other two titles in the series before replaying the finale.

16. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception | 8hrs - 4/5
Uncharted 2 set the bar high for the third installment and after finishing it, I was not disappointed. The story goes all over the place and explores one of the key relationships of Uncharted that hasn't been touched upon at all. It's really satisfying to end it and also show how it all really started. I don't have too much to write about gameplay since it does feel about the same as 2, however, the melee combat feels much better in this one. I always felt like it was too slow, but this one flows a lot better and moves quicker too. It was fun getting to throw hands and do some real painful finishers too. As a whole, the game feels way more cinematic thanks to the incredible set pieces to explore, the fantastic visuals/locations, and some great music. I feel like I was very late to the party getting to experience the Nathan Drake Collection now, but I'm happy I did. These games were a blast and 3 was a great way to finish it off.

17. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy | 7hrs - 4/5
A shorter run time than usual, The Lost Legacy is still super solid and very high quality. Coming right off the heels of Drake's Deception, the overall jump in quality is MASSIVE. Chloe is a great character, so having her lead this adventure was fun. I was pretty mixed about Nadine when I played 4 initially, but by the end, I warmed up a lot more to her. The relationship between the two of them is really fun and entertaining to watch as they slowly become better friends. Gameplay is fantastic. Everything just flows together so greatly - the gunplay, the stealth, the melee. It just blends together so well. The series has always had a linear level structure and even though this one is no exception, I really dig Chapter 4 and really letting the player explore the environment. Just that alone added a lot to the game for me. Also, I'm still in awe over how beautiful this game looks. The character models are so lifelike and detailed, not to mention India looks fantastic. Looking forward to playing 4 again in the future.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
BgdFJ8f.png

10. Super Bomberman R (2017, Switch) ★★★☆☆
One of the earliest Switch games, which I recall catching some heat at the time. Nowadays it's a mostly fixed game: I had no issues with controls, framerate, unbalanced difficulty, and other frequent complaints. Sadly the camera remains an issue: while the angle was fixed, this game will never reach that immediate overhead readability, since you need a slanted view to discern the inclines. I'm not convinced it was worth sacrificing that clarity to include height variations, as they don't lead to many interesting ideas outside a map or two.
The in-game art style is a departure from the franchise's cartoony origins, but it looks nice, and enemies retained funny animations. Bossfights are a highlight here (fun to see TwinBee represented!), even if they're quite formulaic. There's also a story mode with Flash-style animated cut-scenes which closer match the franchise's Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe, but they're extremely annoying due to shrill voice overs and weak writing. Overall nothing special, but a good enough return for the series to consoles.

GNw3Lta.png

11. Bomberman '93 (1992, TG-16 Mini) ★★★☆☆
Early Bomberman entry, with a 7 world story mode. The levels are anemic and samey, but the enemy variety and their funny animations keep it from going stale. Bosses are really tough since one hit usually kills you. Also, the music is surprisingly bad for a Hudson release of this era. This entire game was soundly outclassed by its sequel Mega Bomberman and is thus functionally obsolete, but worth a go if you crave more Bomberman and have exhausted all the better ones.

Mm0X3i8.png

12. Air Zonk (1992, TG-16 Mini) ★★★☆☆
Did the TurboGrafx-CD really need another horizontal shooter? No, but maybe the Bonk series is better served in this direction. Air Zonk is a visual showcase, with cartoon influences everywhere. The highlight is a cat laser which pummels foes with onomatopoeia. The other weapons and helper animals are wildly unbalanced; Mini Zonk is obviously superior with his reduced hitbox and tracking fire, leaving the rest languishing in disuse. The entire game strikes me as curiously forgettable, despite a strong soundtrack and varied environments (the last Bonk throwback level is particularly cathartic).

All right, that about wraps up HudsonSoft Month.
P.S.: Welcome to the thread Ashburner , Vexed , celes , and BakedTanooki !

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
11: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. End: 2/17/2021 (4.5/5)

Super Mario 3D World is very similar to the original Wii U version, but faster. And it makes the experience even better. Bowser's Fury feels like a proof of concept more than anything else, but it's an interesting one that I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo explore in the future. (Just don't make the same mistake I did and play through BF in one sitting, lol.)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

4. Sonic the Hedgehog
Would you believe I've never played past Green Hill Zone Act 1? After buying the Mega Drive Collection, I knew that this would be this first game I'd play. It's a lot of fun! Very colourful, great soundtrack, nice level design. It took a while to get used to Sonic's slippery controls but this was otherwise a pretty solid game.

header.jpg

5. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Bizarre game. The gameplay is brutally hard, as was common for the time. But it doesn't help Alex isn't exactly precise with his movements or actions. Accumulating money does... Something? I could never seen to buy anything other than the gyrocopter on occasion. There's a Flappy Bird level, which I imagine was a straight up nightmare for children back in the day. The last level is also extremely long and involves a trick with bouncing off a wall that took me 20 minutes to clear. Hats off to every child that passed this. I certainly couldn't do it without rewind.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
28. Soul Reaver 2
cHun4ED.png

20 years later and I FINALLY
FINALLY get to play this game. We've had the PS2 ver. of the game for YEARS now and I got the PC ver. which is how I played it.
I've experienced crashes when playing the game sadly, but others haven't experienced them so I honestly dunno what caused them :S
Crashes were the least of my concerns with this game however, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Soul Reaver 2 continues from where the previous game's cliffhanger ended, as Raziel travels back in time to hunt down Kain and is being pushed to purse him by both Mobius and the Elder God. However, Raziel is immediate to suspecting their dire demand for having Raziel kill Kain and attempts to subvert their expectations where he can.

Moving onto the gameplay, whereas the first game acted as having a hub area from which to traverse to the main dungeons in the game, this game is more linear design. It seems coming to grasps with the PS2 era technology resulted in the game having a more streamlined design for how you progress through it than in the first game. This unfortunately resulted in more running across the landscape between primary areas or dungeons while avoiding combat and some light platforming. While the scenery is nice for the most part, it lacks a sense of...immersion like what its predecessor had, and there really isn't much to do while going from point a to b and so on. I wouldn't reach the first puzzle-like section of the game until an hour from when I started the game, which doesn't help when cutscenes in this game can't be skipped XP. I'll get back to the cutscenes and story later, but the overall traversal left much to be desired.

It is with the gameplay where my biggest complaint with the game comes: The combat leaves so much to be desired. So so much. They have a good basis what with the Reaver being a double edged sword where a meter will build up as Raziel swings the reaver and when it maxes out, he will take damage from it. The reaver can kill enemies in a few hits as opposed to using his bare...claws and weapons, so it adds that element into the mix. In addition he can now block attacks as well as perform sweeping attacks as well (enemies even have a jumping dodge animation!). Unfortunately, this is all janky and makes combat very frustrating as the range of your attacks feel off and getting in on enemies risks being damaged in turn. Even if you manage to attack and damage an enemy, its allies could get a free hit off you which is why I find it frustrating. This applies to both material and spectral realms, seriously why do the Sluaghs take so many hits before they die? Why are there STRONGER enemies in there as well for? I can understand for a certain variety of them that appear in the later part of the game but the base ones shouldn't be this time consuming to defeat =_=

The dungeons do offer some light puzzling and requiring you to find items to open up primary paths which was fine. The dungeons this time were forges for the reaver which apparently are supposed to make it stronger or give you more abilities? However the abilities you get aren't all that impressive and far as I've seen, have had little impact on the combat :/ At best they act as 'keys' that open up primary parts of the game that are accessible using them.

Compounding things even worse is that unlike the first game where you can save at any time and just use teleporters to continue your journey, there are save point areas and they are so very far between. Not few, just FAR BETWEEN. Seriously, I could save the game and spend an hour or two without saving just clearing a dungeon or area before I could save again =_=
I have never hated save spots like this before in my life.

Honestly the entire experience ended up being frustrating, even though there ARE some interesting gameplay elements in there, but they are undercooked, for lack of a better term.

Now I should mention the main highlight of this game: The Story, characters and voice acting which are all superb. Raziel being more snarky this time is a nice move and didn't take from his character, especially as taunts his primary adversaries. The voice acting is on point with excellent presentation though it can feel like one is listening to an audio book or novel much of the time. I didn't mind it because of just how well the direction of it is.

As is this is my least fav. Legacy of Kain game, I did not expected to have such problems with PS2 era jank but this game broke me and it was a chore to go through, but at least the story kept me going.

29. God of War: Chains of Olympus HD
2zp79yr_orig.gif

For its time, I'd say Chains of Olympus was worth the praise; it was God of War on the go and it utilized the series' staple of grandoise vistas using PSP hardware wonderfully.
...but it's the same ol God of War gameplay of its time. To be fair the first half of the game in Helios' temple is good becaus eof how interconnected the areas you go through are. There are a few light puzzles too which was nice, but it ended up boiling down to surviving enemy mobs in a locked arena over time, so it didn't really do much to make ti stand out of the traditional GoW formula outside of being portable/on the go. The 2nd half of the game in Hades' realm lacked the visual/artistic temple aspect of the first half being barren caves and ruins.

Alas, as technology improved, such titles could be played on consoles so it comes off more of a novelty experience than anything. I was willing to give ti a chance to see if it could change my mind from when I first played it, at which point I had told myself that I would not play it again...and sadly that notion hasn't changed.
I can understand one still liking this game, and I say more power to them; it IS a solid game overall, but in the grand scheme of things, it comes of superflous in much of its gameplay and 'story' beats.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
10. Control, PC. Finally got around to this one. I was really enjoying it, doing tons of side content then I hit the anchor boss which crashed the game, and nothing I could do would fix it. So I finished it since it was an optional boss and then did the DLCs. Fun game, can't believe the ultimate edition of the game still had such an annoying bug.

11. Quantum Break, XBox One. After Control I wanted to play another Remedy title and I never finished this when it originally released. The gameplay loop grabbed me in a way it didn't before. The TV gimmick still kind of took me out of the game, but I appreciate the effort.

Oct 27, 2017
No. 11 - The Return of the Obra Dinn - 4/5

I enjoyed the way that The Return of the Obra Dinn told its story. The art style is phenomenal and the staging of each death scene as frozen, 3-D, highly detailed dioramas is unique and often spectacular. The story itself, unfortunately, is not. As much detail as Lucas Pope put in, I found that he had little to say that did not rely on orientalist tropes and an uninterrogated East India Company setting. As a mystery game, I also found it to be overly reliant on the process of elimination.

Even so, I think this is a game strong enough that it deserves heavier and thoughtful criticism. The way that Pope weaves the threads of so many individual crew members is a highlight. Following their paths through the course of the mystery, as it is revealed out of chronology and through the agency of the player, is excellent storytelling. It's an outstanding use of the medium - I just wish that the content was as good as the style.

Main Post

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
KdUDdPc.jpg

8. Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4)

I love the Yakuza series, but I'm not a huge brawler fan and I always burn out on the games way too easily. That's why I was ecstatic when it was announced that the latest game in the series would be turn based. I had fun! Ichiban is an amazing protagonist. There were some story beats that could have been handled better, mainly the beginning and the ending, but overall it was an amazing experience. Some QoL issues aside, I hope the next Yakuza game is also turn based.

XLjgoKw.jpg

9. Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy (PS4)

My favorite Atelier trilogy will always be Arland despite it being time based. They're generally wholesome games that I love playing. The Dusk trilogy started off alright (although I didn't like Ayesha much as the protagonist); Escha & Logy had some neat ideas but the cracks and the series decline was apparent by then. Shallie was forgettable and the less said about the Mysterious trilogy the better. Ryza was a much needed step in the right direction. I was skeptical about the new gameplay system, but it grows on you pretty quick. Ryza 2 was even better. It's a shame it's a yearly franchise. Hopefully, the next game gets more time and more budget. Ryza 3 with the returning characters, some QoL features and maybe some post game content would be amazing. Hilariously enough, I noticed a trend I seem to have with the series - I only seem to platinum the second game in each trilogy. Maybe Ryza 3 will break the pattern!

Xae8XNP.jpg

10. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (PS4)

Not going to lie, I love the party based Ys games and the greater focus on the story. I enjoyed VIII immensely, but the localization was bad and most of the characters weren't that memorable. Ys IX takes things from its predecessor and improves upon them. Sure, you don't have a huge island to explore this time, but the city of Balduq has plenty of secrets and makes up for it in its verticality. There's not a lot of dungeon variety unfortunately. Most of them are grey and unmemorable. However, the story and the characters are much better. I was intrigued from the beginning. I also enjoyed the darker tone of the game. Ys IX is also the first Ys game I started and finished playing on Nightmare mode. Surprisingly, it wasn't that difficult. Took me around 48 hours to get the platinum and I loved every second of it.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
Was slacking a bit on writing but got small update:

fb-share-1fcc54becc.jpg

4. Heroes of the Storm - ☆ ☆ - February 4th 2021

One of the best MOBA's I played in my past years. I have played it on and off in Alpha and I think the characters are pretty interesting. Too bad Blizz pulled the plug on this one. But it is still quite active! Sadly there is still a lot of toxicity.

monster-hunter-rise-looks-like-itll-be-the-best-of-both-worlds-1601996533355.jpg

5. Monster Hunter Rise January Demo - ☆ ☆ - February 18th 2021

I am looking forward in playing this in March even more. I played it with my friends during the release and it was a blast. I come back to this franchise and game when the full game is announced in March.

Project-Triangle-Strategy-Announced_02-17-21.jpg

6. Project Triangle Strategy Debut Demo - ☆ ☆ - February 18th 2021

Well, I am sold. I am really looking forward how the game will build upon this demo and the feedback they get. This was really cool and tastes for more. I am a bit sad that it is a 2022 release date. The depth you can take this is great and I felt I had a lot of choice already within the demo in how I wanted to fight as well. For now the characters are interesting as well. Though, the voice acting could be better in English in some cases. But let's see where they will bring this!

Currently playing: Spider-Man, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Main Post

Last edited:

TP17

Nov 1, 2017
1. Path of Exile - PC - 4.5/5

First time completing the main campaign, played as a chieftain cyclone. I'm continuing to play end-game a little and will come back to the game in future leagues.

2. League of Legends - PC - 5/5

Hit my target for this season in ranked early, after only starting this addiction for the first time last year.

3. PUBG - PC - 3/5

I now have a PC that can run this game again so got back in and got that chicken dinner. Fun with friends.

main post

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
30. 40 Winks
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

An adventure game released on the Playstation and N64. Played the release by Piko and used Duckstation to play through it. It suffers from the limitations of games during the PSOne era especially with the camera being a bit of a bother to deal with sometimes but not to the point of frustration. There's some combat with near point blank punching and kicking but thankfully enemies die in 1-3 hits and aren't much of a bother much of the time. The last world had some annoying combat sections but I managed. The platforming could've done with bigger platforms to jump onto and sometimes it messes up (for the life of me I don't know how this game decides whether the kids hang unto a ledge or not that you jump at...), but...I managed in the end.

The main goal of each level is to find 2-3 WInks and the 4 boss keys, with each of the 6 worlds having 3 levels. A neat gimmick in the game is there is a jack-in-the-box that jumping into transforms your character for a set period of time into one of 3 forms: a robot, caveman or fairy/knight. And these would be needed to unlock additional paths. Furthermore, each level has 40 gears to collect which are needed to unlock paths as well, so there is an element of slight backtracking as you go around finding gears.

It is overall a decent adventure game, but not one that I expect veterans of adventure and platformer games would enjoy much, as many other games would've done what it does better.
Visuals wise, Duckstation emulator really did a nice job making the models and psone visuals come out nice and clean, which helped me go through it.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

AIt7EaZIZXnYrgpZ6ISdiErh.png

6. Control
Boy, I loved this. Absolutely essential to read/watch everything you pick up to completely understand the game. If you don't love reading them I wouldn't recommend this. The combat is average to start with but becomes fun once you open up new powers. But encounters get tedious and lengthy. I ended up really tweaking the difficulty because all my enjoyment was coming from experiencing the story and extra content. Despite faults and a terrible performance at times, this was extremely my thing.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header_alt_assets_0.jpg

Game #10 - Vigil The Longest Night
Time: 16 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: ★★★★

Finally got around to finish this after restarting it recently with the latest update, as unfortunately when I got it last year the game was in a horrible state on the Switch and I dropped it. But going back to it and finally finishing it now that it's for the most part fixed, this is one of the best metroidvanias that came out recently, with a fantastic (and immense) world, tons of spells and weapons to get, various skill tress for different playstyles, an awesome gothic-eldricht look, just pretty much all you want from one of these "2d Souls" games. Much like Bloodstained I can't go 5 stars because I played the Switch version which even tho it was patched a lot which is good, it's still certainly not perfect and the frame rate still goes wonky at times, but the game itself is a must play for fans of the genre.

header.jpg

Game #11 - Far Lone Sails
Time: 3 hours
Rating: ★★★★★

This was an absolute gem, one of my favorite indie games (hell, games in general) in awhile, this serene 2d adventure has you conduct a steampunk-y land ship through some sort of post-apocalypse minus all the monsters and, well, anything really, it's just you, your ship and the open land. The game is very simple, as it boils down to simple tasks you can perform on the ship (fuel it, put out fires, occasional repairs, pick up trash to fuel your engine, etc) and solving ocasional puzzles outside the ship as you encounter roadblocks, but it's so well executed, and coupled with the gorgeous graphics (love the monochromatic with a splash of color here and there look) and chill soundtrack, all make up for a truly special experience. It's a shorty but very well worth going through, highly recommended.

Main Post

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
31. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 8-bit Fan game
sonic_sms_remake_master_system_shadow.gif

A fan 'remake' of Sonic 2 8-bit but with a variety of liberties. The first half of the game is directly from Sonic 2 8-bit but the latter half utilized zones that weren't in the original such as Oil Ocean and a Time Hill Zone that has a nice changing background colour effect. In addition this fan game has a 'tag' mechanic wher eyou can siwtch to the other character who has their own alternative ability set. For example, Tails can hover and fly around for a short period of time but cannot do a spin dash like sonic.

One neat feature in the game is it allows you to play as any duo of characters: Sonic and Tails, Amy and Knuckles and Shadow, Mighty and Ray or Shadow and Metal Sonic.
I only beat the game with sonic and tails so I hadn't checked what other abilities the other characters had, but I shall replay it in the future to try them out.
There is some decent level design and a crafty set of special stages for the emeralds, while bosses...have you engage without rings so one needs to be careful against them. Thankfully bosses have simple easy patterns and only the final boss was a major annoyance.

I did replay a few stages a couple of times as I failed to get enough rings for the emeralds and eventually finished it up.

An overall nice fan game, though I am hesitant to refer to it as a remake since it changes up so much. This is by the same person who made the Sonic 1 8-bit remake I made last year which kept various stuff from the original game intact but added a few QOL stuff.

Jul 19, 2020
First time participating in this challenge! I'm dividing months across individual posts just for the sake of neatness and to not flood the thread with every game I beat.

Thoughts on games I've beaten by month:
January & February
March
April
May

1. Cyberpunk 2077 (PC) | 6th Jan - 117hrs | 1.5/5
2. Florence (Android) | 12th Jan - 1hr | 3/5
3. The Talos Principle (PC) | 17th Jan - 28.9hrs | 4/5
4. Bury Me, My Love (Android) | 19th Jan - 8hrs | 4/5
5. The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game (PC) | 20th Jan - 0.5hrs | 1.5/5
6. Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard (PC) | 20th Jan - 1hr | 1.5/5
7. Star Wars Battlefront II (PC) | 30th Jan - 25hrs | 3/5
8. Katana ZERO (PC) | 1 Feb - 5hrs | 2.5/5
9. Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC) | 8th Feb - 7hrs | 3.5/5
10. Superliminal (PC) | 14th Feb - 3hrs | 3.5/5
11. Astro's Playroom (PS5) | 17th Feb - 4hrs | 2.5/5
12. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan (PC) | 21st Feb - 5hrs | 2/5
13. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (PC) | 26th Feb - 15hrs | 3.5/5
14. VVVVV (PC) | 27th Feb - 2hrs | 3/5
15. Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) | 28th Feb - 14hrs | 3.5/5
16. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS5) | 15th Mar - 14hrs | 3/5
17. Bloodroots (PC) | 21st Mar - 5.5hrs | 3.5/5
18. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS5) | 26th Mar - 8hrs | 3/5
19. Typeshift (Android) | 31st Mar - ???hrs | 2/5
20. A Way Out (PC) | 5th Apr - 8.6hrs | 2.5/5
21. ABZU (PC) | 11th Apr - 2.7hrs | 2.5/5
22. The Jackbox Party Pack 7 (PC) | 11th Apr - ???hrs | 4/5
23. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PC) | 18th Apr - 8.7hrs | 3/5
24. Flip Flop Solitaire (Android) | 22nd Apr - ???hrs | 3/5
25. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC) | 24th Apr - 10.2hrs | 2.5/5
26. Portal: Reloaded (PC) | 26th Apr - 7.2hrs | 2.5/5
27. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope (PC) | 1st May - 5hrs | 1.5/5
28. Portal Stories: Mel (PC) | 10th May - 7.2hrs | 3/5
29. Resident Evil Village (PC) | 11th May - 11.1hrs | 4/5
30. Overwatch (Switch) | 12th May - <15hrs | 3/5
31. Mass Effect - Legendary Edition (PC) | 26th May - 43hrs | 2.5/5
32. Mass Effect 2 - Legendary Edition (PC) | 14th June - 81hrs | 4.5/5
33. Game Dev Tycoon (Android) | 16th June - 10.5hrs | 2.5/5
34. Hot Pot for One (PC) | 17th June - 0.5hrs | 1/5
35. Beasts of Maravilla Island (PC) | 18th June - 2hrs | 2.5/5
36. Hidden Folks (Android) | 28th June - 3.1hrs | 2.5/5
37. Slay the Dragon! (PC) | 1st July - 0.5hrs | 2/5
38. Defunct (PC) | 2nd July - 2.5hrs | 3/5
39. Aperture Tag: The Paint Gun Testing Initiative (PC) | 4th July - 3.7hrs | 2.5/5
40. If Found (PC) | 5th July - 2hrs | 3/5
41. Resident Evil HD Remaster (PC) | 13th July - 13.4hrs | 3/5
42. Thinking With Time Machine (PC) | 16th July - 1.2hrs | 2/5
43. Record of Lodoss War -Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- (PC) | 18th July - 8.6hrs | 3/5
44. Mass Effect 3 - Legendary Edition (PC) | 11th August - 84hrs | 3/5
45. Pureya (Android) | 12th August - 6hrs | 2.5/5
46. The World Ends With You - Final Remix (Switch) | 27th August - 40hrs | 3.5/5
47. Overboard! (Android) | 3rd September - 2.3hrs | 2/5
48. Psychonauts 2 (PC) | 7th September - 28.3hrs | 3.5/5
49. The Outer Wilds (PC) | 16th September - 16.9hrs | 5/5
50. Deathloop (PC) | 21st September - 21.4hrs | 3/5
51. Boomerang X (PC) | 28th September - 5.1hrs | 3.5/5
52. The Outer Wilds - Echoes of the Eye (PC) | 3rd October - 8.6hrs | 5/5
53. Crumble (PC) | 9th October - 5.2hrs | 3/5
54. Sable (PC) | 13th October - 18.3hrs | 3/5
55. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut (PC) | 25th October - 41.4hrs | 4.5/5
56. X-Morph: Defence (PC) | 7th November - 27.1hrs | 3/5
57. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (PC) | 12th November - 31.4hrs | 3/5
58. The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes (PC) | 13th November - 6.3hrs | 2/5
59. Frame of Mind (PC) | 13th November - 0.5hrs | 3/5
60. Umurangi Generation (and Macro DLC) (PC) | 17th November - 5hrs | 3/5
61. Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5) | 27th November - 14hrs | 4/5
62. Guardians of the Galaxy (PC) | 4th December - 25.9hrs | 4/5
63. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC) | 26th December - 27hrs | 2.5/5
64. Silicon Dreams (PC) | 27th December - 9.2hrs | 3.5/5
65. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5) | 31st December - 17hrs | 4/5
66. Apex Legends (PC/PS5) | 31st December - 100+ hrs | 3.5/5
67. Magic: the Gathering - Arena (PC/Android) | 31st December - 200+ hrs | 4/5

Currently Playing:
  1. Magic: The Gathering - Arena (PC/Android)
  2. Apex Legends (PC/PS5)
  3. Inscryption (PC)
Some of these have no strictly defined ending so I think I'm going to just count them as "completed" after a certain amount of hours or some arbitrary threshold gets crossed. For Apex Legends and MtG specifically I'm counting them as "beaten" based off sheer length of play since there's no meaningful way to measure them being over, especially since I still play both.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post

-------

4. Doom Eternal - 18 hours
Even though there are a few changes compared to Doom 2016 that I didn't really like, Doom Eternal is still an amazing FPS game. A fast-paced and solid experience that can take 18 hours to complete on 100%, which is a really good length for a single-player shooter. Too bad that multiplayer is so bad, everyone criticized online modes in Doom 2016 but I enjoyed them a lot more than this... Whatever it is in Doom Eternal. I hope I'll have time to make a full review on this game once all DLCs will be released.

Jul 19, 2020
Main Post

Quick overview of the games on my completed list for January and February. Future months are getting their own posts.

January
header.jpg

1. Cyberpunk 2077
I don't really know what I can say that hasn't already been said. The console versions were released in a disgraceful state where CDPR deliberately tried its damnedest to hide the absolute mess they were from the public, the writing is mostly crass and juvenile with how it approaches many sensitive topics, the openworld is shallow as a puddle with nothing to do in it and none of the verticality or deep emergent systems that were promised, the repeated transphobia leading up to it from the studio is backed up in-game with the ChroManticore ads plastered everywhere and the thoughtless implementation of how to select the player character's gender, it's buggy as shit, and to top it all off the devs were crunched like crazy and are probably still going through it now while working on patches.

There's some positive stuff I could say about it but it essentially amounts to "it felt mostly competent to play whenever there were no physics bugs and I wasn't wading through the inventory UI" and "I actually liked some of the character moments and side-missions despite having to put sift through a lot of crap to find them." I got the game gifted to me unexpectedly by a friend, I wouldn't have bought it myself, and I mostly finished it because I ended up sort of fascinated to see it as an example of a genuinely "failed" AAA game that had just fundamentally fucked up on so many levels and then gotten released too soon. The fact it was tolerable to play moment-to-moment and had a smidgen of writing I did like doesn't really alter the fact its otherwise a disaster.

header.jpg

2. Florence
Went in blind not knowing what to expect. It's a surprisingly sweet little game - charting the course of a relationship from the "meet cute" beginning with some light interaction via various "minigames" of a sort where you twiddle with stuff to essentially flip the page of the book. There's some clever use of the rather simplistic mechanics with how it uses them to convey the feeling of rather mundane moments (special shout-out to how it conveys a breakdown in communication leading to an argument with the speech bubbles you assemble becoming increasingly easy as you snipe back and forth faster and faster), and some of the sequences managed to get me to really pause and think for a moment when I was given some freedom of choice; the moving-in chapter in particular kept me thinking about the most "fair" way to divide up the living space and how to navigate two homes becoming one despite the fact I'm pretty sure it has literally zero impact on anything and is mostly just the game giving you a chance to decide how you value both party's possessions.

I dunno if I could call it profound or anything but its cute, clever, and made me feel things so I enjoyed it.

header.jpg

3. The Talos Principle
I like these kind of puzzle games. You probably know the sort - first person, dropped in a closed level with a problem to solve that tests both your capacity to work your mind around the logic of the mechanics as well as your ability to visualize a 3D space, and some omnipresent narrator laying out the story and providing commentary as you go. The Talos Principle is probably the best example of one of those sorts of puzzle games I've played since Portal 2.

I can't really explain the story too much without spoiling anything so I'll instead say that I found it very cleverly constructed; it has twists, but it gives you ample evidence and leads to figure them all out in advance if you pay attention and search for details, and getting my theories confirmed honestly was more enjoyable than I think any sense of surprise could be if I'd been hit with them blind. It juggles some hefty topics with relative grace (I have some niggling issues with its conclusions on certain things, but those are minor) and manages to weave them together to form what I found to be a very coherent and well-expressed central theme and message that resonated with me. Puzzles are mostly well designed too, they make use of the simple base mechanics in a variety of ways - remixing and re-imagining scenarios to both teach you new ways to perceive how to address problems as well as playing off your ingrained expectations to catch you off guard in new ways. There's one or two that rely on twitch-reflexes which get pretty annoying and there's some "hidden" challenges that could get frustrating to figure out, but in the end they're all optional and being obscure and obtuse is part of the point of the latter so I can't really hate on them too much.

One spoiler I will comment on just due to relevance right now is this: Playing a game about humanity dying out due to a pandemic that couldn't be cured and that spread too fast to be contained just fucking hits different after the last year.

header.jpg

4. Bury Me, My Love
So I know it isn't exactly a novel concept mechanically but this is the first mobile game I've played that plays off the platform by formatting itself as a story told through text messages and giving you a glimpse into a character's phone, and I was pretty engrossed by the format. The option to play in real-time is neat conceptually and I imagine can lead to some really great tension and concern if you're invested and waiting on replies but personally my daily life is stressful enough at the moment so I just played it with the option to progress at whatever pace I wanted.

The topic matter is...heavy. Far, far heavier than I can really express eloquently. The Syrian refugee crisis of the last several years has been a pressing issue that's shaped political discourse and governments throughout Europe, and the response to it has been at times a source of shame and disgust to me as someone living here. The fact it all draws from real lived experiences makes it all the more genuinely uncomfortable at points. I tried redoing it several times in search of a "good ending" but at a certain point realised that I was starting to skim through content that had previously been more impactful on me that was presumably based on real events and it started to feel oddly...disrespectful? I guess? At that point I stopped. First time a game has made me stop out of that kind of feeling of guilt to my recollection and I think it's going to stick with me for a long time because of it.

header.jpg
header.jpg

5. The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game & 6. Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard
Doing these as a joint-entry because I have very little to say about both. They're fine, I guess? They try to be cutesy and wholesome but it mostly comes across kinda forced and feels very deliberately designed rather than natural. The Case of the Invisible Wizard at least has some more humour that actually sticks the landing going for it though. The detective premise is mostly a framing device, the only puzzle solving or investigation you do in them is essentially a fetch quest chain to ferry items between NPCs and a little bit of searching the environment for some key items left lying around. Wouldn't recommend either.

header.jpg

7. Star Wars Battlefront II
Fun sludge to feed your brain some lil' hits of dopamine when you go pew-pew and make things go boom. That probably sounds condescending but I mean it as a sincere compliment; the game does a good job scratching the itch for action and is a light way to kill some time. Looks and sounds absolutely great, it's probably the best execution of the Star Wars films in a game in terms of presentation alone, and the multiplayer is fun with the mix of varied classes, heroes, and vehicles buzzing around in unsynchronised chaos until a surge of players builds and overwhelms an objective as a horde - holding it till the tide turns and swings back the other way. There's balance issues (air combat is kinda pointless on most land maps, some of the heroes are too pushed, etc.) and I don't like how long it takes to unlock guns/upgrades unless you grind out the co-op mode but for a casual shooter it's fine I guess? The dedicated space combat mode is actually pretty fun also, reminded me of Rogue Squadron dogfights in a good way.

Story mode is servicable too. It hits the basic notes you'd expect from a Star Wars spinoff story at this point (ties into the OT storyline/era, links into the Rebels' victory vs the empire in some key battle in some way that's plausible to have never been mentioned in the movies, has a couple cameos of film characters, and doesn't really try to push the envelope in any way narratively) and it's fine even if it doesn't grip you much. Levels are a bit more than just recycled multiplayer maps and it has some proper cutscenes too which is honestly more than I expected from it, to be honest.
February
header.jpg

8. Katana ZERO
This game is cool and fun when you're slicing dudes up with precision while dilating time and bouncing off walls and a bore when it's trying to be a more serious story about trauma, war, drug abuse, chronic illness, or shadowy conspiracies in a dystopian cyberpunk future. I don't mean that in a "I just want my cyberninja power fantasy and they shoved plot in it >:(" way either - the writing just doesn't do it for me. It plays its cards too close to its chest trying to keep you guessing what's going on but at the same time a decent chunk of it seems really obvious and the few answers it does give aren't very interesting or exciting. It also doesn't have a real ending. The game just stops at what feels like the end of the second act without resolving most of the plotlines - DLC is apparently coming to wrap it up more but from what I can tell there's no release date in sight and right here and now that knowledge doesn't do much to change the fact the game is profoundly unsatisfying on the story front.

I'd say wait till the DLC drops before you even think about giving it a go, or just play it and don't bother with the plot.

header.jpg

9. Doki Doki Literature Club!
Finally played it after years of seeing the fuss. Don't keep reading if you don't want any spoilers.

It's decent! I was surprised it wasn't as overhyped as I expected it to be, it makes clever use of being a VN/PC game for some 2spooky4me meta moments that got a jump/sense of unease out of me and the way you "deal" with Monica was really neat. Even outside the meta-elements I enjoyed the horror writing with how you can intuit the girl's personal problems off the cues given and from reading their poetry, trying to discern what was wrong in their lives and slowly realising how bad things were getting was engaging and kept me on edge waiting for shit to hit the fan. I will say though, I do think it's a shame it doesn't do more with deleting the character files yourself aside from when Monica erases everything else - finding the surprise Sayori ending with her suffering a mental break if you delete Monica early was a real shock, and I'd like to see more combinations of that like what happens if you take one or more of them out at certain points.

header.jpg

10. Superliminal
A pretty good first-person puzzler. The basic idea of the core mechanic - being able to affect the environment entirely based on how you perceive the relative size/shape/position of objects when you interact with them - is super smart and after the initial struggles to wrap your head around the idea of it the possibilities of what you can do seem huge. The challenges built off it find a lot of ways to get mileage out of it, too.

The mounting tension as the world seems to break down around you as you plunge deeper into your dreams and the therapy program goes further off the rails carried my interest the whole way through and the final sequence when you really hit the limit and start rapid-fire transitioning between scenes was absolutely excellent. I really wish the rest of the level/puzzle design had been a bit more like that because it could be a bit dry throughout whenever you'd been introduced to a new challenge/mechanic and gotten used to it before the next one popped up - the super quick pacing and shifts between concepts was preferable to me.

banner.jpg

11. Astro's Playroom
It's cute nostalgia-bait wrapped around a pretty but kinda mediocre 3D platformer. I liked how it runs you through all the functions of the new Dualsense and found ways to integrate the hardware of the various Sony consoles into the environmental design. It's a fun little ride and kept me busy while I was waiting for everything else to download on my console, but if I wasn't getting little dopamine hits off seeing games I love or consoles I enjoyed a ton as a child get referenced I'd probably take off at least half a star.

header.jpg

12. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan
I'm trying to spend more time with my friends since we've been mostly just chatting in our Discord server the last year due to various Covid lockdowns. We've recently settled on trying to do a movie or game night every weekend while we all do a voice call and watch/play something together, and this was the first game we've done as part of that.

So, to be clear, as a game on your own? Probably bad. Rated it rather low on my main post according to that. Cast isn't interesting or likable enough to really care what happens to them, the setting isn't very interesting, and the "lore" so to speak with the curator fella or whatever he's called didn't really do anything for me either. Looks good at least, though the facial animation can be a bit jank.

With friends though? It's pretty fun to rip on. Had a good time just shitting on how unlikable half the cast was or how dumb some of the stuff happening was, and hearing someone bark out a yell when a jumpscare got them and then hearing everyone else break down in laughter at it was super fun. Steam Remote Play Together is a fantastic feature and I'm now investigating every damn game that offers it to try pick out more to play this way with it - it seriously made "passing the controller" completely seamless over the internet, and I can see its presence playing a big role going forward in determining what we all play together.

header.jpg

13. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

It's gorgeous, the movement mechanics feel great, the combat flows well with the traversal, the map is expansive and filled with interesting little challenges to reach collectibles and shortcuts to uncover, and the music is good too. When you're zipping across spike filled pits and riding air-drafts up through swarms of giant mosquitos the game just looks and feels damn great, possibly more than any other Metroidvania I've played - there's definitely a few that trade blows in either presentation or movement, but both at once? That I'm not sure of. Though, this said, the increased focus on RPG elements with the shards and upgrades kinda detracted from it for me with how so much of the fun parts of your kit you have to go out of your way to unlock and are a big part of why I'm probably not going to be replaying it anytime soon. Like, the game is just objectively more fun in the last five hours than the first ten to me.

I think my two other big issues with it were the story and chase sequences. On the story, well, I've just never really cared for it in either the first game or this one - it's fine, and both have their moments where they get me to feel the melancholy they're going for, but it feels like it's really trying to get you caught up and invested in the cast and their troubles and the tragedy of the villains and it's never really consistently got me. Chase sequences were just too scripted for me - most of my deaths in them were from the signposting on what you're "supposed" to be doing not being great rather than messing up a jump or just going too slow.

header.jpg

14. VVVVVV
It's a 2d platformer that has got a clever gimmick it challenges you with in a ton of varied ways and doesn't really ever over stay its welcome or get too caught up in non-gameplay stuff. There's a few funny little jokes scattered in it but the writing is otherwise really thin, though I'd consider that a plus because, again, it goes at a quick clip and keeps you moving between levels and searching the map without bogging you down with interruptions that draw it out too much. Really enjoyed it more than I expected.

Miles-Morales-logo.jpg

15. Spider-Man: Miles Morales

So, yeah, its an expansion pack being sold standalone at full-game pricing. I think it has about as much content as the season pass for it did, minus the collectibles and podcasts which I'm pretty sure are significantly more prevalent here. Feels kinda bad but that'll fix in time as it goes on sales and gets price cuts I guess. Enough about the cost though.

It's pretty good! Miles plays very different from Peter in some obvious (venom powers, less gadgets) and less obvious ways (can't break enemy's guards as easily, more focus on aerial combat) but still feels fun in his own right and getting into a flow where you're perfect-dodging attacks left and right as you swing mooks through eachother, leap into the air to keep smacking them around after a soaring uppercut, ragdolling them all with a gravity well, and then finishing with your super moves feels great. The traversal still feels amazing and makes the fast-travel system a total non-factor to me, and swinging around the huge ass buildings of New York looks and feels better at 60fps.

I was not a fan of Miles in the comics - though I quit reading American capecomics not long after his intro - but between Insomniac's take on him and Spider-Verse I've really come around on him. This game doesn't come close to the standard set by Spider-Verse (which is still the best Marvel film, fwiw) but it's still a solid coming of age story that deals with most of my favourite aspects of Spider-Man as a hero and shows how Miles himself reflects them in his own way. The strong emphasis on community building and support in his vision of heroism, the way he's just chill with normal civilians instead of elevated above them like a god, and the kind of nerdy edge undercutting even his cool moments all make him really endearing. I still do not like how much the games lean into the NYPD being allies/belligerent recipients of super-aid but it's bizarrely enough less focused on that than the first game was despite the fact Miles' dad is literally a dead cop.

Really my main issue with it is I wish it had as much content as the prior game had, particularly the more expansive story that took more time developing the cast and the bigger rogues gallery of bossfights. So, yeah, it's pretty good considering "I wish there was more" is my biggest complaint.

Last edited:

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Main post: here

5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) | 2nd Feb - 170hrs | 5/5

So, yeah, Animal Crossing, huh? I'll just take "paid off all my loans without stalk market shenanigans" as an arbitrary completion point, and count the game for the list. It's great, my ultimate comfort game for last year. Mostly now in the "short check-in"-phase, but yeah. It doesn't happen often these days that an hour counter goes beyond the triple digits for me, but here we go. On that account, I also don't think I agree with the "there's no content" complaints. I definitely got my money's worth out of it, especially considering how it really did provide an amount of comfort during a really fucking weird time.

6. Control: The Foundation DLC (PC, Epic) | 5th Feb - 8hrs | 4/5

It's basically more Control. Which is cool, because Control is great - it's a pretty sizable chunk too. I really liked the visual touches of the foundation area. I think I'm kind of done with Control now though, definitely fatigue setting in. I'll probably put off playing the other expansion for a while.

7. Star Wars: Battlefront II (PC, Epic) | 17th Feb - 6hrs | 2/5

I'm kind of into the multiplayer currently, and thought "eh, what the heck, might as well play the campaign." The game initially has you play as what basically amounts to Space Waffen SS, which is kind of a bold choice, but it doesn't remotely have the writing or acting chops to pull that off. The turn does not remotely feel earned for example. Like, okay, so that war crime in a probably long fucking list of war crimes was finally enough to completely flip you from fascist zealot to freedom fighter in record time. Yeah, sure. The game basically has the political understanding of a twelve-year-old, which is frustrating. It also does the "our fascists are DIVERSE" thing which I can only chalk up to a terminal case of centrist liberalism. Generally it feels like its desire to be Star Wars fan service really stands in the way of telling any kind of decent story. Otherwise it's basically a modern shooter campaign. Extremely linear, no interesting level design beyond lots of bombastic set dressing, funnels you from set piece fight to set piece fight. Dark Forces this ain't, but you can take it as a dumb romp.

8. 1943 (Switch, Capcom Arcade Collection) | 21st Feb - 3hrs | 3/5

You get this for free if you download the Arcade Collection on Switch, so, why not. I do like Shmups, although I generally tend to gravitate to more modern, danmaku-style fair. This was an interesting piece of history, but it has some aspects that haven't really aged super well for me. The game feels too long, which is weird for a sub-hour-long arcade game, but is mostly due to very repetitive patterns stretched out too far. 16 levels of that is maybe a little much, even if they are on the short side. I'm also not sure I like the ticking down health meter system - interesting experiment, but there's probably a reason we haven't seen this in more games. As always with arcade games I've tried to get to the point where I can finish the game without too much quarter feeding, but ultimately decided to not put in the time to get actually good at it. Definitely quarter fed my way through that last level. Ahem. It's fine, and I'm happy to have played it, but I don't think I'm going to put much more time into it.

Last edited:

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
06 | Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Switch | Feb 22 | 60 hrs | 5/5
r1Yyw8l.png

My first run of this Fire Emblem and I went with Blue Lions. They switched up the combat a bit by adding gambit units and more freedom of reclass. I did like the gambits because it added more support options and felt like a battlefield. They did a good job making the fights feel large instead of only smaller scale fights. The bonding is always fun in these games and I loved the added tea party event. I wished I had the option to pair the NCPs together. I just want everyone to be happy lol. But I'm glad you do get a small tidbit about them after your playthrough.

Since I have only played one run, there are some questions left unanswered. But it didn't feel like I necessarily missed out on anything. Instead, I feel encouraged to play a different route to see the bigger picture. So that's fantastic replay value. I definitely will go back to play more.

I did find it a bit odd in my playthrough with the Kingdom, that we focused on fighting one other country. The third party felt a bit left out, like they just existed and was pushed to the side. I wondered why we didn't combine forces to fight the common enemy but maybe that's explained during their specific route? I don't need or want any answers. I will find out during my own playthrough. Just found it a bit odd at the time.

Overall I had a ton of fun. After the ending, I'm already thinking about my next playthrough!

Main Post

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
32. Legacy of Kain: Defiance

The 4th and thus far, last canon game in the Legacy of Kain series.
While this game ends up clearing the main plot elements of the previous 2 games in relation to Raziel and Kain, the gameplay leaves so so so so so much to be desired.
Playing through it was a bore; as welcome as the combat system is, the fixed camera and mandatory combat sections put a major damper on my enjoyment of the game. Doesn't help that the level design is mostly non existant; go from room to room til you find a 'key', then get back to use that 'key' to unlock the next area you must progress in. I got so fed up with the combat that I ended up utilizing a cheat engine for 1 hit kills just to get through the game and get the story bits faster.
To be fair while welcome the changes to the combat are, they felt retroactive to how popular God of War 1 was so the top brass at Eidos wanted a combat and game that copied that, but the end result is a combat system that lacks the flair of God of War's combat and hardly manages to make the combat in this game entertaining IMO.

Speaking of the story, I feel like it may have been impacted by some 'executive meddling', with the cutscenes seeming to lack the energy that SR2's cutscenes had, I dunno maybe it has to do with how zoomed out the characters are during some cutscnes, as the close ups in SR2 gave the cutscenes a kind of 'theatrics' feel to them that Defiance lacked and made the presentation of the story bits wanting. Still the story and its conclusion of Raziel and Kain's conflict is good but I still feel like it could've been presented better.

This is so far my least fav. game in the LoK series, which makes me curious how I'll feel about Blood Omen 2 (which is already losing points for the models looking like some late psone shit with a paint of PS2 era textures).

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #12 - Warhammer Chaosbane
Time: 11+ hours
Platform: PC
Rating: ★★★

Was torn on giving this 3 or 4, but at the end of the day, even tho I ended up enoying it quite a bit, it doesn't really do anything particularly new or exciting. The story mode (which you need to do to unlock all the endgame systems) was enjoyable enough, taking me about 11 hours to finish on very hard (there are harder difficulties to unlock later on). The classes don't really come into their own until a few hours in and you unlock some skills and especially the "god skills" tree, but once they do I found my summoner elf did what I wanted the class to do. It looks quite good, with great environments and monsters, but the maps do repeat themselves A LOT which is a shame. There are quite a few end game systems, from a boss mode, to the standard instanced random zones with affixes and a tower you can climb for better and better loot, so it seems competent on that end aswell. That's really the story of the game I guess, it's a well made, competent action rpg, a lot more on the casual side than soemthing like POE, but if you are itching for another one of those, you can probably get quite a bit of fun out of it, if only for the story mode.

header.jpg

Game #13 - Warhammer Chaosbane: tomb Kings
Time: 2 hours
Platform: PC
Rating: ★

Between the super short length and the fact its 10€ (or part of the season pass, which itself already annoyed me for having a skill tree as dlc...yeah this game's DLC is wack and one of the reasons I went 3 stars instead of 4 earlier), the repetitive fetch quests and uninstering new skills it adds (which you will most likely never use since skill points are limited and it's already hard to work out builds around), this dlc really feels like it should have been a free update (in fact this dlc is called chapter 5, and later the game DID get a free chapter 6 update!). Only for completionists.

Main Post

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
12: The Touryst. End: 2/24/2021. (2.5/5)

I had heard some high praise for this game, but I thought it was a more average experience, and found myself getting annoyed at some of the game's problems at the end. A real shame as I do think there is a lot of charm to this game and its world.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

7. Ristar
Out of all the Mega Drive games is this probably the one I most wanted to play. Ristar first came to my attention on a Vinesauce stream. I was immediately attracted to it's art and bright colours. The game turns out to be a fiendishly hard platformer that feels incredibly rewarding. I always felt great figuring out a puzzle or clearing a difficult section. The music is wonderful and the level design is mostly good with that patently old school hard, pixel perfect jumps. I would have loved this as a kid; never would have finished it but loved it all the same.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post

-------

5. Heileen 1: Sail Away - 2 hours
I had low expectations, but I still ended up disappointed. Sail Away is a very lackluster visual novel with one-dimensional characters, badly written storyline, and choices that don't really matter. A young 18 years old girl from England is going on a voyage to the New World for no real reason and ends up romancing one of the 3 potential love interestes. All relationship options in this game feel forced and don't have any real progression, you can spend all the time with one character but end up with another person you barely spoke to. The choices system in this game is badly implemented overall, several times characters talked about events that didn't happen in my playthrough, like about the library that they searched for clues. The story in Sail Away is filled with plot holes and a naive representation of a western colonial period, it's a short game but I started to skip through chunks of dialogues after the first 20 minutes of playing it. At least it has a skip function so it's fairly easy to get 100% achievements with a walkthrough guide, but that's the only positive thing that I can say about this game. Avoid.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
33. Pandemonium!
MagicalHoppers-PS1cover.png

I had known of this game for years since the PSOne days but only just recently got to play through it. It is a 2D platformer across 18 levels and 3 boss fights. The gameplay is presented in a 2.5D visual style which may seem outdated by today's standards but I like it.

The game can be rather difficult since you start with only 2 hit points with 5 health ugprades hidden in some stages that you can collect. Speaking of collecting, each level has hundreds of coins to pick up, and the game tells you the % of how many you collected when you complete a stage. Far as I know, there is not bonus for it outside of completionist, but you won't ever know how many you've gotten til you finish a stage.

The game's difficulty ramps up as you progress and stages tend to get lengthier as well, but it is a bit of a slow paced game for the most part, so I took my time clearing the levels and taking out any enemies in my way if need be. The boss fights were decent too with the final one being a little tricky til I cheesed it :V
You can choose to clear a stage using either of the two protagonists, Fargus or Nikki, with Fargus having the ability to do a short range melee spin attack, whereas Nikki can do a double jump, making her the prefered character to clear the game with. Her double jump has a specific input though; Up+Jump in the air, so it can feel awkward to utilize it for mobility considering how double jumping in games have been since its release.

Pretty decent game all in all, with a lovely soundtrack (the jump sfx is annoying though...) but I don't think it'll appeal to everyone.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I am at 10/52 games completed so far which is actually pretty surprising to me. This thread is making me focus on what I own and what I can knock out of my backlog, it's been pretty fun!

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Super-Mario-3D-World-Bowsers-Fury-Banner.jpg

Game 6: Super Mario 3D World (NSW) (7 Hours) (4/5) (February 15th, 2021)
Very happy that this finally came to Switch, by far one of my favourite Mario games and the port had no faults whatsoever. Mario games usually have amazing presentation and this game is no exception. The world all looks so pretty and combine that with amazing music and interesting level designs you have some of Mario's most creative levels. There are so many perfect levels in this game and while some levels aren't quite as memorable as others, the REALLY good ones are some of the best in any Mario game.

Game 7: Bowser's Fury (NSW) (3 Hours) (5/5) (February 17th, 2021)
I wasn't even planning on playing this initially but I'm glad I did. The game is so seamless and represents a future of Mario where you don't have to go in and out of every level. Everything is just so smooth in this game, the transition between overworld and level is so clean and Plessie, the dinosaur you ride on around the open world, is always where you want him to be. The way everything is set out is so addicting and it all just makes sense. What a great game and hopefully something that sets up for the future of Mario

Captain-Toad-Treasure-Tacker-Banner.jpg

Game 8: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (NSW) (6 Hours) (3/5) (February 26th, 2021)
After finishing 3D World and BF I decided I may as well finally finish Captain Toad. I never completed it on the Wii U but I'm glad I did this time around. It's such a fun little adventure and is great for just sitting back in handheld mode and taking your time. There are a few levels I just don't like one bit, and the fact that there are only 2 boss fights repeated in the whole game is slightly annoying, but for the most part this game is just a fun little gem. The bonus levels are a great addition too, hopefully Nintendo adds some more in the future

Main Post

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #14 - Pinstripe
Time: 3 hours
Rating: ★★★★

Really enjoyed this one, one of those rare gems that goes everything it sets out to do perfectly, doesn't overstay it's welcome and is a joy to play and go through. Essencially a 2D platform puzzle game, with a splash of action here and there (you have a slingshot you mostly use for puzzles but also for somelight combat), it has a simple but very effective story of a father trying to save his daughter from the titular Pinstripe, and with a very welcome 3 hour runtime, it keeps you engaged with a few different puzzle types and a host of cool (and very well voice acted) characters.It also looks absolutely gorgeous with a 2D artstyle reminiscent of Nightmare Before Christmas or Coroline (in fact the game itself is very "children's horror" like those movies) and has a fantastic soundtrack. Like I said, it does everything well and is very easy to recommend for fans of the genre.

Main Post

May 10, 2019
MAIN POST

I told myself I'd do short writeups of everything I finished this year, so let's get into January!

1. Napple Tale (Dreamcast) - ★★★★☆

fE1kAes.jpg

This Dreamcast platformer was a nice way to start off the year. For those not familiar with Napple Tale (which I assume is most people, since it was only released in Japan), you play as a young girl who's mistakenly whisked away to a strange town that sits between life and death. I'm talking "the mayor is a frog who is part car" levels of strange (his name is Mayor Frogcar).

Napple Tale is probably best known for its amazing music by Yoko Kanno, better known for composing the soundtracks to anime like Cowboy Bebop. Her soundtrack is absolutely the highlight and adds some seasonal flavour to each stage. It was magical to listen to this song while seeing the first snowfall for the year outside. But beyond the soundtrack it's still an excellent game, balancing platforming stages with quests that have you making furniture for the weird residents of the town. You can also use materials from exploring to make creatures that help you out in stages, like by transforming into platforms or creating barriers. Despite this feature, the platforming is not terribly interesting and the game is incredibly easy. Still, the beautiful soundtrack and setting make Napple Tale well worth checking out, especially now that it has a full fan translation.

Napple Tale rules. Like A Lot. I haven't played it in about 20 years and I had to use a really rough guide to get through about half of it, but the soundtrack was a treasure and I ended up importing a copy of that just for commutes. Now that there's a patch out there I'll have to take another run at it again.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
34. Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
tumblr_p4fgrpb9Rb1w1kerio1_400.gifv

Unlocked everything from the shop and clear all Grand Prix events on all 3 difficulties with Shadow.
Still a fun racing game IMO and I like the stages and character selections in it. Though the Monkey ball stages tend to give me the most trouble.
I learned a little late that 'Low Detail' graphics option is a misnomer; the option actually affects special effects and texture quality and must be set to '4 players' to get the highest and fanciest effects applied.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Everything I am playing right now there's basically no way I'll beat it by the month's end, so going to ahead and close out February list. Main post with all months here.

February:

17. Boreal Tenebrae - PC - 3-4 hours
18. Werewolf the Apocalypse - Earthblood - Xbox Series X - 10-11 hours
19. Little Nightmares 2 - Xbox Series X - 4 hours, 24 minutes
20. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - PS5 - 8 hours, 29 minutes
21. Super Mario: Bowser's Fury - Switch - 3 hours
22. Little Nightmares: Secret of the Maw - Xbox Series X - 1 hour, 25 minutes

Much like January, ended up playing a lot more than I expected, but mostly shorter stuff. I imagine this list will slow a lot in March as right now I am playing Persona 5 Strikers and Ghosts n Goblins Resurrection, plus I have Loop Hero pre-ordered. I will probably finish those, but it'll definitely take me most of the month, so I imagine this list will slow down significantly, at least for March.

Completed Games (25/52)

March:
23. Persona 5 Strikers - PS5 - 30 hours, 40 minutes
24. Devotion - PC - 2-3 hours
25. Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2 - PS5 - 2-3 hours

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
35. Rayman 2 (PSOne)
SilverTings.png

This is defo. not the version of the game I recommend playing. It starts out OK but visually...well it's nice for a PSOne game but the DC and PC versions got it beat with more vibrant colours and looking bigger with better models. The game gets harder during the last set of stages and the final boss was a pain in the ass to beat with its attack patterns, but managed in the end.

I'll go through the PC version someday since it is based on the N64 version.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

8. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
And here is my White Whale. Finally, finally I've played through this game (the first part, at least). It took a long time for me to afford to play it and even longer to have time to do so. Was it worth it? Yes, I'd say so. There's parts I didn't like, namely padded fetch quests in the main story but overall, is a great experience. I met some very helpful people along the way and had a lot of fun. The battles were exciting, even if I couldn't understand half of what was happening on screen and the characters are neat. I'll probably pick up some more side-quests before I continue on to Heavensward. It feels so neat to finally be able to share in the experience.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I did these on the old site, but over the past few years life has been too crazy for me to even come close to beating 52 games in a year. This year will probably be more of the same, and I'm getting a late start, but I'm going to make a go of it anyways. I miss the challenge and driving motivation to finish games. ★☆

1. Return of the Obra Dinn (PC) | 7th Feb - 12hrs | 5/5
2. Hades (PC) | 14th Feb - 20hrs | 5/5
3. The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary (PC) | 27th Feb - 2hrs | 3/5
4. Valheim (PC) | 22nd Mar - 207hrs | 5/5
5. Generation Zero (PC) | 5th April - 24hrs | 3/5
6. Loop Hero (PC) | 6th April - 108hrs | 4/5
7. Candy Box 2 (PC) | 8th April - 6hrs | 3/5
8. Drake Hollow (PC) | 9th April - 12hrs | 3/5
9. A Dark Room (PC) | 26th April - 10hrs | 3/5
10. Shadow Man Remastered (PC) | 15th May - 13hrs | 4/5
11. Observation (PC) | 16th May - 6hrs | 4/5
12. Risk of Rain 2 (PC) | 16th May - 29hrs | 5/5
13. Doki Doki Literature Club (PC) | 20th May - 15hrs | 5/5
14. Her Story (PC) | 23rd May - 5hrs | 3/5
15. Hitman 2016 (PC) | 14th June - 20hrs | 5/5
16. Gunfire Reborn (PC ) | 17th June - 19hrs | 4/5
17. Golden Axe Warrior (SMS) | 26th June - 10hrs | 4/5
18. Beyond Oasis (GEN) | 4th July - 7hrs | 3/5
19. Parasite Eve (PS1) | 11th Jul - 15hrs | 5/5
20. Macbat 64 (NSW) | 12th Jul - 1hr | 4/5
21. Parasite Eve 2 (PS1) | 17th Jul - 20hrs | 4/5
22. Fight'N Rage (PC) | 18th Jul - 2hrs | 3/5
23. Raft (PC) | 22nd Jul - 49hrs | 5/5
24. Crusader of Centy (GEN) | 23rd Jul - 12hrs | 4/5
25. Arid (PC) | 24th Jul - 8hrs | 3/5
26. Disney's Magical Quest 2 Starring Mickey and Minnie (GBA) | 26th Jul - 3hrs | 3/5
27. Survival Kids (GBC) | 28th Jul - ??hrs | 2/5
28. Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) | 2nd Aug - 9hrs | 3/5
29. Disco Elysium - The Final Cut (PC) | 4th Aug - 40hrs | 5/5
30. AM2R (Android) | 7th Aug - 5hrs | 4/5
31. A Way Out (PC) | 10th Aug - 6hrs | 4/5

January

February

March
April
May
June
July
August

Last edited:

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Return-of-the-Obra-Dinn-Review-1.jpg

Main Post

1. Return of the Obra Dinn | ★★★★★

Return of the Obra Dinn casts the player as an investigator who must unravel the mysteries surrounding a vanished ship that reappears one day, several years later, with no crew aboard. Using a magical pocket watch, you delve into the past to view the moment of death or disappearance for the 60ish crew members, each one frozen in time. As you view each vignette you can move about freely to look for clues as to what happeend. Voice acting and foley are used to great effect here.

The player also possess a journal, which helps you track the many events and crew of the ship. Two simple questions must be answered for each person: What is their name, and what happened to them? However, figuring out the answers isn't always so easy. I will avoid any spoilers, but it is fair to say that when you first start Obra Dinn you might expect to eventually hear every character's identity through the vignettes, or to see a clue as obvious as a fired pistol in their face at the moment of their death. However, when it turns out not to be so simple for most of the passengers, you may find yourself finding clues in the most unexpected of places. Many elements of Obra Dinn may feel like set dressing in the beginning, but by the end I had used every single one of them to piece together the mystery.

Obra Dinn is a game that works as well as it does only because you can trust in its creator that each element was intentionally placed. That thing that you notice that you think might just be a coincidence? It's not. You can take the elements of Obra Dinn and treat them like actual case artifacts. And because of this, despite any fantastical elements and the unreal art-style, the game ends up feeling more real than many of its more realistic-appearing contemporaries.

Return of the Obra Dinn is, in all likelihood, the best detective/mystery game I have ever played.

Last edited: