Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header_alt_assets_1.jpg

Game #37 - Eldest Souls
Time: 6 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: ★★★★

Great little 2d Souls-like with a major focus on bosses, which thankfully are very good and fun to fight. There is a little exploration to do and even some souls style quests, but the main event here are the bosses, and while hard, they never really felt unfair, and since it's super fast to just retry them (you just respawn in the boss room after each death), it never got frustrating. A fantastic skill system where you can assign "boss souls" to various skills in your tree and some gorgeous pixel art make this a great little, if short, game. They added a free expansion recently with 3 new bosses but unfortunately you need to be a bit deep into the game to access it, and my save is at the start of NG+ (it auto goes to NG+ when you finish the game which kinda sucks tbh) so I didn't check it out, so I guess as a final PSA, make sure to do those 3 new bosses before killing the normal last boss I guess.

Main Post

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
13) Sly Cooper & Thievious Raccoonus(PS3): 4/17-4/19 PLATNIUM TROPHY

So it feels like every year there's a platforming series that I do a dive into, usually a replay. I did the DKC Trilogy few years ago, did a Jak 1-3, and Jak Racing for a year, did the Crash Trilogy and Spyro trilogy. Last year, I dominated this thread with a visit for (most) of the Ratchet & Clank series in anticipating for the awesome R&C: Rift Apart that came out last year. And I went to town on the Mega Man series, both the originals outside of MM11 and X1-5(Not sure I ever touch X6 & X7, not feeling brave) This year's flavor of the Spring/summer?

SRzhpQ.gif

Yes Sly Cooper, Sucker Punch who are best known for the InFamous series & Ghost of Tsushima got their first break with Sony as a first party with this series. Having played all 4 of these games about 7 years ago(Had to look it up!), I had been itching to do a revisit to this series for quite some time so I said why not?

Going back to the 1st game, one of my instant regrets was not getting the platinum which in hindsight...........is a pretty easy ask. You don't need to do any time trials or anything of that nature, you just need to finish the game and get all the collectibles. On his revisit, there was no doubt.....I was capturing what long evaded me.

Despite being a game from the 2000's, this game still holds up really well. The story and cel shaded design still hold up so well, even if the voice acting in the beginning of the game feels a touch wooden(The game comes along nicely later on and the rest of the series it is really good). The story is simple, you play a racoon thief by the name of Sly Cooper. Think of him as the platformer's answer to Lupin the 3rd, yes he steals but he is good hearted. He comes from a long line of ancestors who were master thieves of their timeline so as such, he has a standard to meet and is attempting to reclaim the very book that consists of all of his ancestors secrets and history: The Thievius Racoonus(Hence the title of the game). Cooper is accompanied by a nerdy turtle who is the "Brains" of the crew, named Bentley who has a very Harry Carey(Long time Cubs announcer) sounding voice and is pretty snarky but means well. He gives intel consistently to Sly Cooper to help him out during his consistent rendezvous all around the world. There's also the "Muscle" of the group in the loveable Murray, a giant clumsy hippo who is super strong and also a great van driver and serves as the getaway driver of the crew along with the aforementioned braun. There's also their enemy in Carmelita Montoya Fox, a female fox who plays inspector(Think of her as a more attractive Inspector Zenigata from Lupin the 3rd) who while she tracks down the heroes, she still tries to capture them since they are criminals who are stealing, even if it's from the rich(Robin Hood much?). She is still good but her and Sly Cooper represent a Ying/Yang sort of relationship where the two respect each other but one being with the police and the other being a criminal, their paths cross and both are enemies all the while.

The story of Sly 1 goes that Sly Cooper lost his parents because of the antagonists of the game, The Fiendish Five targeting to kill the Cooper thief lineage while trying to recover the aforementioned Thievius Racoonus book, believing that the power of these thieves lie in the book. This made Sly Cooper with the death of his mother & father an orphan, where he met Bentley and Murray in the same orphanage and the three developed a brotherly comradery to make it big and etch themselves as rags to riches success stories, even if they are going by the way of pillaging. Sly Cooper crosses paths throughout this game with the same five who murdered his parents as he attempts to reclaim the lost pages and book that mean everything to his family. It's a simple story but the voice acting of the series is done pretty well and the comic book cutscenes do this game well. The cel shaded graphics also look well, you either love or hate the design admittedly....I fall in the former category.

The gameplay is your standard PS2 3D platformer, only this game focuses more upon the tricks of the trade you pick up from your ancestors by collecting clue bottles that serve as the collectibles of the game. There can be anywhere from 30 to 40 per area and collecting each of these allow you to unlock a giant safe in each level that if opened via a code provided by Bentley due to the full completion of clue bottles, gives you a page of the book that allows you to learn a new ability during your adventure. We're talking a dive bomb, a roll, a mine throw, super slow-mo and superspeed among other cool tricks. Admittedly, the game is a little unresponsive with some controls such as the grab command when trying to hang onto hooks to swing from platform to platform and the combat segments are pretty lackluster, you can't just swing wildly vs the opposition. Very minor nitpicking admittedly though because the game still runs smooth even on PS3 emulation!

Game length is rather short, I got the illustrious platinum and beat the game within 3 sittings. This game probably runs you around 8 hours or so give or take. Each level is consisted of one pseudo open world portion followed by either a short level or minigames. The minigames are hit and miss admittedly with this game. They can be anything from racing to rail shooting to collecting items in a certain amount of time while avoiding hazardous animals, run of the mill stuff you would expect from this type of platformer.

Game is overall pretty good, from what I remember Sly 2 still is my favorite but I am really curious how it holds up in a replay 7 years later. Enjoyed my time in a revisit with Sly 1, game still holds up strong!

ezgif.com-video-to-gif+(43).gif

14) Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes Complete Edition(PS4) 4/30-5/2, 5/7

Finished No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Back and man what a dud of a game this truly was. I knew going in this was considered a lousy game, especially in comparison to NMH1 and NMH2 which I got into a couple of years ago on their respective re-releases on current gen consoles. I sometimes try and overlook the critical receptions games like this end up getting but man the reviewers nailed it so much on the spot with the low scores. Of course for the basis of doing reviews such as this and also to avoid spoilers, I don't even bother to read why the game scored the way it did but it's also something to stop me from purchasing it Day 1 for full price. Fortunately for me, this game was a mere $10 dollars on PSN so the sunken cost this game would be is nowhere near fatal as say $40 or whatever it was going for at the time of launch.

The fact that No More Heroes 3(Which is out for the Switch and is coming up for other systems) is linked to this game sort of made this a mandatory play to at all get into NMH3 and also because I respect Suda51 as a game designer. I enjoyed NMH1 and 2, Lollipop Chainsaw and even found Shadows of the Damned to be okay(We will revisit this game in particular down the road) but this one? Not so much.

Where do I begin? No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again constantly trips over it's own feet whenever it builds momentum and you think the game will pick it up. From a pace standpoint, from a gameplay perspective, from mostly.....well everything. The game gets repetitive within hours of the same hack & slash concept that worked in NMH1 and NMH2, except the balance was much better. The stages didn't ever truly feel like they overstayed it's welcome like it does in Travis Strikes Again. This would never ever become a burden except the game doesn't change up anything. No real incorporation of any minigames outside of one time(A simulation race that is story driven of needing to upgrade your bike by yes........more hack and slashing, god forbid you put a fun racer in the game), it's just the same generic hack and slash that has you dicing up the same couple of enemies throughout the game. What this game does a little bit different than the first two titles is unlike the third person view of NMH1 and NMH2, Travis Strikes Again does an overhead view, as if this was Hotline Miami or an arcade styled game like Super Smash TV. Takes a little bit of time to get used to but it isn't the worst thing ever, it's just the gameplay does it no favors of being so simplistic. It's light attack, heavy attack, dodge and you have 4 chip/powerups you can do that you can switch up your abilities for various situations. Need a healing AOE? Got it. A AOE stun attack? Yes. A lot of promise here and these chips are borderline crutches, especially vs the spongey enemies in this game.

I feel like this game is meant to be played co-op which is terrible game design because watching a lets play of this game has 2 players and it just seems more fun that way, and seems to be a bit easier. The lone disadvantage would be the level system, as naturally your going to get more experience doing this solo vs sharing the experience to two players but outside of that, it looks like a game that's a better time doing it 2 player vs doing everything solo.

So the question someone might ask is: How can there be 2 players if it's mainly Travis Touchdown(the protagonist)'s series? You'd be right....only this game introduces a new random character, "Badman" who has a bat and holds a grudge against Touchdown killing his daughter in a previous fight(NMH1 players will remember someone who also had a bat and had a similar sounding name). Don't worry, whoever you play as, they are practically the same character with the exception of like 2 or so chips that each character has unique to them. Going back to the plot, the story is as you'd expect.....all over the place. If you weren't familiar with Suda 51's work, he has....lets just say...a very quirky style of humor. A lot of fourth wall breaking, a lot of innuendos, a lot of sexual/toilet humor, and for the most part....it works! I enjoyed it in the previous games. But why it works is because it doesn't downplay the combat and because it doesn't push the combat to the passenger seat. In Travis Strikes Again, because of the gameplay being so repetitive and uninspiring, the humor more often than not for me, just slid right off rather than having any lasting impression. There are some highlights like some Devolver(Game developer) titles like Hotline Miami getting some cameo appearances in the game along with some other games made by them being available as t-shirts/costumes for your characters to wear. The game pokes fun at certain genres like one I am about to get into shortly....as in right now.

The game tries to go for something different which I can appreciate. A visual novel section chalk filled of Suda 51's humor? Should have worked on paper and to some degree, it got some laughs out of me but the pacing of it is what does it no justice. Needing the player to go through 20-25 minutes of this as a mandatory prerequisite before engaging the next level isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. The game even pokes fun of this concept which would be funny except your still forcing the player to do it.
:lol:

I feel like Travis Strikes Again is meant to be a Suda 51 celebration of all games. You have a Killer7 inspired intro, visual novel sequences that draw similarities to The Silver Case & The Silver Case: 25th Ward, a level inspired by the ending of Shadows of the Damned which was easily the biggest highlight of the game and of course No More Heroes 1 and 2 lore as this game leaks and hints what will happen in No More Heroes 3. This on paper sounds awesome, especially for people who play Suda 51 games except the gameplay needed to be on par, which it simply wasn't.

The game altogether was a solid attempt to derive something different from the 1st two games but it was a case of the game not straying far from the hack and slash, and if anything staying too vanilla/basic for too long in that regard. The contrast attempts that Travis Strikes Again does try will either be hit or miss for the player, for me it missed more times than not. There was an extra level that was admittedly pretty difficult to even try and do that I just didn't care to do anymore.

I had 4 game crashes throughout my 10 hour or so experience with the game which also dampened my experience. This happened throughout my painful experience of one of the worst levels I have played ever in C.I.A., the final mandatory level of the game. Seems whenever I attempted to do an AOE heal, it would lock the game and cause the game to crash, making me lose 5-10 minutes each time it happened. Became a real grueling experience to even finish the game, this was the PS4 port of the game need I mind you. Can't even throw the "Nintendo Switch stinks as the 3rd party system of choice" at me! That's why I am waiting for the PS5 edition of No More Heroes 3 in fact, for the FPS to be as good as it can be! Going back to this game, yeah "C.I.A." was easily the low point of this game, in fact any time this game tried to throw in maze like puzzles it ended up being a dud. You throw an enemy that can 1 hit KO you in a previous level, that's whatever. Meant to be suspenseful. This level just has you fighting off hundreds of enemies in same bland & generic levels in a maze of some sorts. You will get a game over quite a bit, there just isn't good pacing with the healing so this became something I had to replay the same 1-2 areas pre and post saving for a little bit. Became frustrating, keep in mind I played this game on Normal/Sweet, not even on the hardest difficulty!

No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again is a game I wish would have been better but alas it just didn't happen. The reviewers were right, this is something that can and should be skipped. Even the most diehard fans of this series may not fall in love with this game, probably the worst game I have played of Suda 51 except Let it Die which was a game meant to have microtransactions in order to succeed so you put a little bit of an asterisk there. So much on paper could have and should have worked with Travis Strikes Again but just ended up not happening. Shame. Have heard iffy things with No More Heroes 3, hoping this game brings this series back to the limelight that it honestly deserves it. Have it preordered in a couple of months so we shall see.

featured-bugsnax-when-does-isle-of-bugsnax-release-900x506-1.jpeg

15) Bugsnax DLC: The Isle of Bigsnax(PS5) 5/8, 5/14

Won't talk too much or in-depth about this game as this was a late 2020 playthrough for me, one of the first games I tackled upon getting a PS5. Think it was awesome to give this DLC away as something free, especially when most PS5 players got this free via PS Plus. Such a good gesture, easy to dive right back into the game. I was nervous about how the DLC would re-teach you to the game mechanics but sure enough it does a good job, knowing that a lot of the audience will have been long away from this game.

The DLC is more of the same, same humor, same gameplay, same epic boss battle. If you liked Bugsnax, you will like the Island of Bigsnax DLC. DLC does not overstay it's welcome, ran me about 3-4 hours. Such an underrated game, it's also on XBOX Game Pass for free if you have that subscription. A lot deeper story than what the game leads you to believe, the gameplay is very Pokemon Snap esque by needing to learn the weaknesses of a bugsnax that you need to catch. Only it isn't photos your capturing but more so the creatures itself to progress the story and learn the wonders of the Bugsnax themselves.

DLC feels like a brand new area, no real gimmicks introduced outside of these neat maze like puzzles for your Strabby companion(Think of it like a strawberry version of Super Monkey Ball only without the gameplay) to navigate through. Felt worth it to dive into for the dialogue alone, such a cool game. Feels like a Saturday morning cartoon with the humor and tone of the game.

If you at all liked Bugsnax main campaign, give this a go. If your playing this game completely anew, think of this as yet another area then. No harm no foul, good stuff. DLC does not overstay it's welcome at all.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
as i gradually get through ye olde backlog, i'm now at a point where all that's left is mostly 90s era rpgs. just completed arc the lad and arc the lad ii. the sequel improves on the first game, almost as though it's secretly arc the lad 2-4. it's a lot, but there's also way more bullshit. if i hadn't gone through a special dungeon in the first game and transferred stuff to the second game, it's doubtful that i would have made it through the sequel. the final boss has 9999 hp and my main attacker did about 60 damage with each hit. fortunately, my main attacker also had a big attack that dealt about 300 damage each time, and healed 2 mp and 2 hp every turn. all i needed to do was pull her out of range and surround her with healers to get through what was basically a war of attrition.

the plan was to move on to zhp next but after that... i'm kinda ready for something considerably shorter. there's not a lot of options left so it might just be night in the woods or hooking up the gamecube to try out odama. i figure that by the time i'm done with zhp and makai kingdom, xenoblade 3 won't be too far away, and i'd like to hang onto my patience for a lengthy rpg so that it can get the attention it deserves.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
8 - The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe - 6hrs - Platinum / 3rd May - 10/10
Takes the Stanley Parable and turns the absurdity to 11. Includes the Best collectibles hunting of any game ever. Absolutely hilarious from start to finish.

9 - Tribes Of Midgar - 15hrs / 10th May - 6/10
I really liked the gameplay loop in this game but I did not enjoy the difficulty spikes of the giants coming in far too often and too quickly from the start. I wish I had more room to breath to explore the world at my own leisure. Instead I had to sprint from the second the game starts to have a chance of surviving the onslaught of giants.

I'm going so slowly this year! I've played too many long games this year. Time to find some short games in my backlog to burn through.

currently playing: Sakura Wars

Last edited:

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
QEIwVi3.jpg

#16 Medal of Honor: Airborne - Xbox - 4 hours - 6.0
Decent enough shooter but has some technical problems, hit dectection being the worst offender. It's really bad for some reason. The upgrade system is fun and encourages using different weapons and the semi open structure of the levels is nice, except each level is basically the same objectives

#17 Assassin's Creed II Remastered (Replay) - Xbox - 21 hours - 8.0
Huge improvement over the original, the story and characters are way better, the music is fantastic and much more variety in the mission design. The side content is nothing to write home about but still better than 1. It gets a little long in the tooth towards the end, and the remaster isn't particularly impressive.

#18 Koudelka - PS1 - 11 hours - 7.0

Interesting little game, it's a PS1 JRPG so obviously the battles move at snails pace. Which is where emulators come in handy. Without speed up, it would have been much more of a slog but I liked it, the story and voice acting is surprisingly good and it's a nice short rpg

#19 Mighty Goose - Xbox - 3 hours - 7.0
Not too much to say about this one, fine run n' gun that controls well and is entertaining for a few hours but I'm probably going to forget about this one pretty quickly

#20 Transformers: Battlegrounds - Xbox - 6 hours - 6.0
This would be real good as a kids first strategy game, as it is, it's a little too simple to be anything more than just okay. Just needed a little more, the mission design is very similar throughout the whole game until the final few missions, then when it starts to get a little more interesting, it ends

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I just finished game #52.

You can see my original post that I kept updated as I progressed here: modsbox 52 games, 1 yr tracker post

It was certainly a bit easier for me to do since I focused heavily on NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA titles... which are generally my favorite. As well as a lot of replays. Did manage to play some lengthier games however, particularly a recent favorite of mine on PS5, Returnal.

I posted Thoughts into my thread via spoiler tags for the games I felt the urge to comment on, perhaps some of you will find them interesting.

What a ride. So glad I did this, admittedly I got quite addicted to cranking through games... hence why I'm done quite a bit early. So much fun!

Good luck to everyone else that is going for it this year, you can do it!!

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
25. Black Tiger (Arcade) | 19 May - 1 hrs | 5/5

This was the first arcade game I ever witnessed anyone complete on 1 credit back in the day. Now 30 years later I've done it myself.

What an intense run this was. Prior to this the furthest I ever got was stage 7 boss. So first time I actually beat the stage 7 boss I completed stage 8 and the final boss of the game.

I love playing Black Tiger, the gameplay is fun, I love the fantasy theme and the music is great.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019

Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 - Part 4 - Part 5 - Part 6 - Part 7 - Part 8 - Part 9 (This Post!)

And ANOTHER major catchup post. Significant because well? I DID IT AGAIN.

But I'm gonna keep rolling even after.

header.jpg

40) Blaster Master Zero

2017 by IntiCreates - 4/23/2022 - PC - 9 hours 50 minutes (Both Endings) - 4.5 out of 5 Stars

(See BMZ3)

e624ee446bd5711b139afe335485a2d8.png

41) Harmful Park (English Patched)

1997 by Sky Think Creations/Patch 2022 by Hilltop - 4/27/2022 - PS1 (via Duckstation) - 55 minutes - 3 out of 5 Stars

Meme shooter is almost good? Going from easy in the first 5 stages to hell difficulty in the final stage isn't a good look, but it coasts on style and the possibility that it could be better as a co-op game.

header.jpg

42) Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

2019/2021 by Studio ZA/UM - 4/30/2022 - PC - 39 hours 45 minutes - 5 out of 5 Stars

Once again (with Katana Zero and Jedi Fallen Order) making the case for my 2019 list being relitigated - just one of the best narrative games I've ever played to this point. (Note: I didn't predict my next three weeks of gaming.) Egg-Head is the a ray of light in a horrible world.

header.jpg

43) Blaster Master Zero 2

2019 by IntiCreates - 5/1/2022 - PC - 13 hours 10 minutes (Best Ending) - 4 out of 5 Stars

(See BMZ3)

955fd82131e15e7b5199cbc8f983306a.png

44) The Bouncer

2000 by DreamFactory/SquareSoft - 5/2/2022 - PS2 (via PCSX2) - 3 hours 30 minutes (Sion/Dominique Ending) - 2.5 out of 5 Stars

I'd beaten this before - shortly after it came out, but I never remembered it well enough to know if I liked it. Revisiting this, I was hoping for something more than the meme it became, since I was a big fan of the Tobal series and EHRGEIZ, and at times it's pretty fun, but it's also pretty messy as far as fighting mechanics go, in fact, EHRGEIZ's RPG mode felt more fluid in combat mechanics. I do enjoy the style, even with Steve Blum operating at Maximum Steve Blum, I really liked the characters too. Wouldn't be offended by a remake of it, even if it's never likely.

header.jpg

45) Blaster Master Zero 3

2021 by IntiCreates - 5/5/2022 - PC - 12 hours 30 minutes (Best Ending) - 4.5 out of 5 Stars

The Blaster Master Zero Trilogy was an absolute treat, especially as something to finally justify the existence of a wilderness of bad sequels and strange reboots. Combining the lore of not only the original Japanese and American games (Blaster Master and MetaFight), but the Worlds of Power books and Blasting Again (but not 2 or Overdrive, those never existed) is pretty much a genius storytelling move. BMZ2 is only a step behind because of a real steep difficulty from the start and some boss fights you almost have to cheese. Zero 3 has a similar challenge but it's better paced and more rewarding. Honestly I'd recommend anybody to play the Zero trilogy over anything after the NES game, then play Blasting Again for the weirdness. Everything else is unimportant.

header.jpg

46) Trek to Yomi

2022 by Flying Wild Hog/Devolver Digital - 5/6/2022 - XBOX One X - 4 hours 5 minutes - 2 out of 5 Stars

It has a really nice art style and it's short. And well....that's it. Clunky action, atrocious user interface (to where you can barely see not just pickups and shrines, but SUBTITLES in some areas), a middle section that felt like a massive bait and switch from what was sold in trailers, and exploitable mechanics that made the ending feel anticlimactic. Did not like this at all.

bb0a892e474220497cecec305c146471.png

47) Space Funeral

2010 by thecatamites - 5/11/2022 - PC - 1 hour 30 minutes - 4 out of 5 Stars

This was something I'd experienced early on but forgot about, and going back to it, it's just wild to see how much the last 10 years of lo-fi indie RPGs was influenced by Space Funeral. Wish this was more stream-friendly though, but a largely pilfered soundtrack makes this impossible. It's worth playing though, especially since the itch.io version has a new version of RPGMaker2003 Runtime that doesn't destroy your resolutions.

header.jpg

48) Citizen Sleeper

2022 by JumpOverTheAge - 5/12/2022 - PC - 10 hours (2 Endings/credit rolls) - 5 out of 5 Stars

Was going to play this at a later date, but jumped into it after the urging of friends and the massive irritation of the first two hours of BloodNet. I didn't regret it - a wonderful sci-fi companion piece to Disco Elysium - with (for the most part) less problematic characters with their own levels of complexity. I loved the conversational and relationship building mechanics and the way that some stories wrapped up - a strong GOTY contender (but wait....).

header.jpg

49) Castle In The Darkness

2015 by Matt Kap - 5/14/2022 - PC - 15 hours (Ending #1) - 2.5 out of 5 Stars

I abandoned this game 75% of the way through in 2018, I couldn't deal with certain aspects of platforming and cheap deaths. I still had cheap deaths from platforming on this second attempt, but I did a lot more backtracking and made sure to get as much as I could and that helped smooth out the roughness. Matt is covering his inexperience with making his own stuff here through video game memes and kaizo habits, it doesn't work a lot of the times, but getting through boss fights and grabbing out of the way items can be kind of rewarding - and I'm so glad he wasn't discouraged because Astalon: Tears of the Earth was a 200% improvement over this.

header.jpg

50) NORCO

2022 by Geography Of Robots - 5/16/2022 - PC - 6 hours 15 minutes - 5 out of 5 Stars

Of the two major schools of classic point and click adventure games - stage play emulations of Sierra, LucasArts, and Accolade and the first person experiences of ICOM - NORCO falls into the latter camp - ICOM-influenced with you-are-here presence of Dynamix's more mature adventures, with even some call-backs to surrealism (not just Kentucky Route Zero, but Magnetic Scrolls and Tass Times In ToneTown's bridges from text adventures). NORCO takes a little time to build its world but once it starts going, it refuses to let up with tension and madness. I've been playing point and click adventures since 1989 - NORCO is not just the best game I've played this year, and it's not just the best adventure game I've played in over 20 years, it might be a best adventure game of all time contender.

6556d6184bc36eaf64da74d786e5a551.png

51) Neutopia

1990 by Hudson Soft - 5/17/2022 - TurboGrafx-16 (via BizHawk) - 9 hours 30 minutes - 1.5 out of 5 Stars

I knew Hudson Soft meant well when they wanted to build an answer to The Legend of Zelda but this was not the way. More or less a chore to work through, with unsatisfying boss fights and cheap hitboxes. Some good music is just not enough to save it.

header.jpg

52) Quadrilateral Cowboy

2016 by Blendo Games - 5/18/2022 - PC - 4 hours 10 minutes - 3.5 out of 5 Stars

I'd like to think that I've overhyped this one in my own head, just because I loved 30 Flights Of Loving, one of my favorites of the last decade. I also put artificial limits on my enjoyment of this one, not really giving the art of figuring it out any time to breathe. But I dunno, I didn't feel the same connection as the previous game. I enjoyed the intermissions plenty though. And maybe I'll give this one another chance someday, and I can treat this as the underrated gem that I thought it would be.

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
1. Yakuza Like A Dragon (XSX) JAN 3- 123 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES 9/10
2. The Forgotten City (XSX) JAN 22- 13 HOURS AND 48 MINUTES 9/10
3. Hitman( 2016) (XSX) FEB 4 68 HOURS AND 22 MINUTES 9/10
4. It Takes Two (PS5) FEB 8 14 HOURS 12 MINUTES 4/10
5. Hitman 2 (XSX) MAR 22 45 HOURS AND 38 MINUTES 8/10
6. Unpacking (XSX) APR 7 6 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 6/10
7. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS5) APR 18 59 HOURS AND 49MINUTES 8/10
8. FarCry 5 (XSX) APR 26 53 HOURS AND 29 MINUTES 8/10
9. FarCry 5 Hours of Darkness (XSX) MAY 1 3 HOURS AND 12 MINUTES 4/10
10.FarCry 5 Lost on Mars (XSX) MAY 6 3 HOURS AND 26 MINUTES 5/10
11.FarCry 5 Dead Living Zombies (XSX) MAY 8 4 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 3/10

da1977737e14ec4a352039d90a592046.jpg

I went into Farcry 5 after the sublime Farcry 4 expecting a huge drop in storytelling and quality of side content
Well the main narrative surpassed my expectations and the side content was just as by the book busy work as I expected.
You can tell from the open the goverment officals moving in on a RELIGIOUS (ALL CAPS ) cult this game wants you to question your motives.
While i was playing through I kept thinking about how much I had heard in various articles or podcasts they were scared to say something.
I found myself enjoying pissing of the boss in each region then attacking their shelter it started to dawn on me where this was going.
The 4 hoursemen of the appocalypse and how you were the instrument of the entire world's destruction.
I am not a RELIGIOUS person but even I was picking up on how literal this game was 4th wall breaking with the evil talking directly to you.
Its crazy to me how a game like this get through a major studio sure they didn't give the gaming media what they wanted.
FC5 was not just the lunatic red state rednecks are bad that all those articles and podcasts seemed to be fixated on because of a few preview interviews.
I mean what video game ever changes after previews right?
The tone of FC5 is always at odds with the gameplay Clutch Nixon challenges vs telling a story about how we all are indocutrinated by the people we surround ourselves with.
The message of FC5 is as simple as it gets You can always leave not everything is your battle but if you stay and fight sometimes the evil you thought you were fighting is actually inside
I prefer Blood Dragon and Farcry 4 more than 5 because they are just pure gameplay bliss and the humor of Blood Dragon makes me forget the narrative of Farcy 3.
I didn't enjoy the skill tree in 5 and felt just doing bunker after bunker to collect skill points useless after 20 hours I had all I needed.
The early part of the game of feeling underpowered were the most memorable gameplay moments it really felt like there was no escape from the cult every road you wander down to the point you wonder if this will ever change
After i got my boy Nick Rye and Grace Armstrong it was trival knocking out outposts and compounds.
If not for the daring main storyline of where does this go FC5 overall is a 6/10 see dlc reviews under.
The danger of self help gurus/damaged egos/narcisscism and the belief in making choices for all that's what I'll remember
When I was in college my favorite book about the evil men do was The Lucifer Effect.
The point I took was everyone can be evil and the people who believe they never could possibly be evil or do horrific acts
guess what
they are the very people who will do the evil act and not belive they actually were capable of doing the exact thing they swore they would never do.
and sometime live in denial of their exact crime (see OJ Simpson/Donald Trump).
This is why taking responsabilty is so important if you accept your actions you likely will not make a mistake that ruins yours or someone's life.
Why bring this up
Only 2 games I have played have made me think about that book
1.The Last of Us pt 2
2. Farcry 5
Only a hero puts others before themselves and in FC5 you are no hero.

085b07ac90a0cc8a947094b9f87c6f4a.jpg

OVERALL SEASON PASS (DO NOT BUY)
2 words
Crocodile Beach
I was so happy there were finally no damn crocs in farcy 5 i had crocodile fatigue from playing farcry games and even in the last 2 Assassin Creed games Origins and Odyssey.
Playing this dlc reminded me why i was bored with the original Farcry
This is just a generic WW2 flavored shooter it reminds me of old PS3/360 shooters like The Outfit and Turing Point Fall of Liberty
The stealth mechanic was cool but had very little use,
The main reason this gets such a low score is the constant yelling by your squadmates they are beyond annoying and remember you are suppose to be playing a stealth game so LETS GET THOSE F----- and THEY ARE RIGHT IN FRONT OF US CHANGING MAG is at first hilarious
Then you unlock 2 more and they all SCREAM by then you are ready for the helicopter to rescue your squad and never play this again
Crocodile Beach is exactly what this season pass represents
Tired Video Game Cliches like Vietnam/Space/Zombies and the most common predator enemy in Ubisoft games of the last 5 years.
Crocodiles are once again involved they are the definition of no creativity in this series
Lost on Mars is at least humorous in it's poor attempt at being a Destiny clone Everyone's favorite roll their eyes character Hurk (GO AWAY) is here with Nick Rye after being abducted by alien A.I.
You spend almost 6 hours defeating bugs designed out of a cheap VR game that wishes it was as fun as a EDF game
You also get terrible drug haze missions that are just reused assets for the point of gotta shoot something other than bugs
Did I mention this was the best part of the dlc in the season pass.
Finally we have Dead Living Zombies
Do you like a bad Left 4 Dead game that has no humor but a desperate filmmaker?
Who pitches some cringe cliche horror films that act as as a story and maps
ME Neither
I have nothing positive to say other than the game didn't crash and the gunplay was fine.
I appreciate playing this just to remind me why I haven'y played COD Zombies in over a decade.
The FC5 season pass was an absolute joke that struggles to have any connection to the base game
Don't misunderstand me I enjoy when Farcry gets weird Blood Dragon is my favorite and Trials of the blood Dragon was so damn campy
This did nothing for me
At least I have New Dawn and Farcy 6 to still play
guapo-1.png

NOOOOOOOO DAMN YOU FARCRY

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

images

16. Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth: Book 2
It's not been a good month for me playing games, so it's good to have a visual novel I can continue and just mostly read. Book 2 really ups the ante from book 1. Things get grimmer much faster and stay that way. William of Hamleigh is a truly frightening villain. Whenever he's on screen you're wondering who's dying next. Jack was a fairly annoying teenage protagonist so thankfully we don't spend too much time with him and it's more so Philip and Aliena. Philip continues to be my favourite and he goes through quite the dark journey here. I do hope there's some kind of happier ending in store but we'll see.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
23 | Journey
PS5 | May 13 | 10 h | 5/5
ehs5Q1U.jpg

I first experienced this gem when it was released in 2012. I only played it once or twice, but the journey stayed with me. Recently, I received the PS4 version of Journey through Playstation Plus; I went for all achievements to fully explore the game.

The experience is still magnificent. The music, the environments, and the bits of story you can piece together make Journey soulful. You can feel the love that went into this project. You can play solo (offline) or maybe a stranger will join you. The second player is what's unique. It can only be you and one other, no more. You cannot communicate through text or microphone. You can "ping" at each other. Your character makes a small chime and a burst of light will extent out.

Journey purposely hides your name tag, so you don't even know the name of the stranger your playing with until the credits. It may sound odd, but it adds meaning when you encounter a player. Running around, communicating "pinging lol" with a stranger and you feel an instant kinship with them.

The only negative to Journey are the achievements related to playing with others. If you're playing and not worried about achievements, then no big deal. But a few of them rely doing specific things with another player that can be difficult if no one is around. My playtime here is a bit bloated from waiting and checking if players were running around. Only negative, everything else is magic.

24 | Oxenfree
PC | May 19 | 15 h | 4.5/5
jOaybjZ.jpg

Steam said I last played this in 2016 and I only played it through once. I remember the general gist of the story and that the game was pretty good. It wasn't difficult to convince myself to replay it. There were more endings and achievements to earn!

Now I can confirm, my memory was correct and it was good. The mystery storytelling is paired with an eerie soundtrack and a gorgeous art style. The background sets could easily fit in an illustration book. Together, they all create a fantastic environment to explore. There is a fun gameplay mechanic using a radio to find more information. In my second playthrough, I noticed small differences in my choices which is super cool. Definitely recommend playing more than once. The voice acting is all top notch, too. Incredible game that had a great deal of thought put into it.

Which is why it's so strange that there's no audio options. None. For a game that uses audio in the gameplay, it can be frustrating when you can't hear the cues for the radio. At times the background music was much louder than the narration. My only negative, but it is very puzzling.

25 | The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence
NSW | May 19 | 10 h | 3/5
SgeCCkd.jpg

It feels bad to give the first DLC story an average score, when the main game is perhaps the best visual novel I have read. A real tragedy.

The prequel focused on one character you meet in the main game. It's entirely in their point of view. The majority of this DLC is nothing new. If you played The House in Fata Morgana, you know who this is and you know what's going to happen. Thus the downside of prequels, especially in this case. Sadly I was bored by the first half, I kept putting off reading this for weeks. It's the same story, only more detailed.

The later is more interesting because it is new information. There are two new characters that add background for the main character here. But in the end, it's a prequel. You know the entire time what is going to happen. The saving grace is the quality of this VN. The illustrations, the storytelling, and extremely well written characters. I'm vastly looking forward to the NON prequel DLC.

Main Post

Cheat Code

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Work's been doing me in but I've managed to smash in a few completions. Have no idea of the dates unfortunately.

Main Post

CC-Gun-Grazy.png

GUN CRAZY
3/10

Thought this could've been a sneaky masterpiece in the vein of Bleed. Unfortunately the game is stunted by the player not being able to see a fucking thing that is happening, which is unfortunate.

Boss design is ok, controls are pretty tight, but honestly it's not a particularly fun experience. Only good for an easy platinum really.

CC-The-Cow-G.png

THE COW G
0/10

Some absolutely incredible cow facts featured in the game.

Bit unfortunate that the game has only one one gameplay function and there is a game-breaking bug that means you don't have to click in a clicker game.

CC-Skatemasta-Tcheco.png

SKATEMASTA TCHECHO
5/10

One cool thing about this game is that it's one of the few retro-throwbacks that I've played that legitimately feels like it was made 40 years ago.

Some great old-school pixel art and MIDI music, and some very old-school dogshit controls, that somehow tie the package together. It's also quite nice to see an indie game come out of Brazil/South America, which you rarely see.

CC-Ascendshaft-and-Endless-Shaft.png

ASCENDSHAFT AND ENDLESS SHAFT

1/10

Two games for the price of one, can't go wrong.

Ascendshaft is a very mediocre shmup with some of the most confusing level complete screens you've ever seen. The final boss is ass.

Endless Shaft is borderline impossible to complete unless you do the blessed glitch to clip out of bounds. 🙏

CC-My-Name-Is-Mayo.png

MY NAME IS MAYO
10/10

I'll fuckin' do it again.

CC-My-Name-is-Mayo-2.png

MY NAME IS MAYO 2

10/10

I'll fuckin' do it again.

CC-My-Name-is-Mayo-3.png

MY NAME IS MAYO 3
11/10

Honestly do not understand how the fucking My Name is Mayo trilogy has more game-to-game innovations than a significant portion of AAA releases.

CC-Shiro.png

SHIRO
6/10

Surprisingly decent actually, despite being a short game it's priced appropriately, and it has some cool platforming ideas. Has a bit of a Celeste feel but with combat added.

The combat is not good though, definitely unnecessary. There is 1 singular boss fight and it's by far the worst part of the game.

CC-Bloodstained-Curse-of-the-Moon.png

BLOODSTAINED: CURSE OF THE MOON
8/10

Bloodstained definitely passed me by for whatever reason, but I really enjoyed this. I am genuinely shocked that Igarashi made a throwback Castlevania successor and the level design wasn't complete bullshit.

Some absolutely incredible boss designs in here too, with good tells and fair attack patterns that make the encounters feel learnable. Definitely gonna do a few more runs of this.

CC-Attack-of-the-Toy-Tanks.png

ATTACK OF THE TOY TANKS
2/10

Boy, this one fucked me off. I love Wii Play Tanks, so I was unreasonably excited to grab a game that is entirely Wii Play Tanks. This just plays like ass though, unfortunately.

Controls are unintuitive, enemy tanks are aimbots, you can't adjust your targeting reticule at all despite there being a bunch of free buttons for input. Very disappointing.

CC-Superhot.png

SUPERHOT
7/10

Recently got a hold of Mind, Control, Delete, so I thought I'd give the original another playthrough as it's been a while.

Honestly, the campaign is surprisingly light on content, and they definitely expect you to get your money's worth out of Endless Mode and challenges, but the core gameplay is still really fun, and the "forbidden software" vibe is super captivating.

CC-Trolley-Problem-Inc.png

TROLLEY PROBLEM INC.
6/10

Game does not do enough with it's great premise. It's definitely gets your attention at points, but it loses stream quickly. (Spoilers below)

When you do the 4th Wall "game is fucking with you" gimmick, you have to go all the way and not half ass it. There's also no real consquence to your decisions later on, which is a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
MAIN POST

NArXML0.jpg

#6 - The Cruel King and the Great Hero (Switch) - ★★☆☆☆

I've already forgotten so much about this game, to the point where I had to look up what the title was. I even wrote a review about it, which was frankly far too generous; I'm struggling to remember much about the journey aside from the agonising random battles. The story is sweet, but it's stretched thin. Most of the game is spent wandering across the same beautiful backdrops over and over again while getting thrust into fights that are far too basic to be interesting. The storybook aesthetics are gorgeous, but this was a real bore to play.

#7 Pokémon Gold 97 (Game Boy) - ★★★★☆

So this is an interesting little ROM hack - it's a fan-made recreation of the prototype Pokemon Gold, based on the early demos that were leaked a while back. That means a whole lot of cut Pokémon including evolutions and baby versions of creatures like Farfetch'd and Paras, a setting modelled on the whole of Japan and a skateboard to ride around on. The story is totally different, too, and while it's mostly within the realm of fan-fiction it feels authentic to what the game could've been like. It's not as good as the Pokémon Gold we ended up getting, but it's a fascinating look at what could've been.

#8 Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch) - ★★★★★

Playing this reminded me of why I kind of dislike Mario 64. Sure, it's an influential and ambitious classic, but it never felt like much of a Mario game. Mario 64 mostly ditches the platforming in favour of open playgrounds, with the hero known for jumping real high suddenly taking fall damage for some reason. Forgotten Land on the other hand feels like a perfect translation of the Kirby games to a 3D space. The level design, the way Kirby's powers work and the adorable characters - it all fits perfectly with an extra dimension.

This was an absolute joy from start to finish. I felt the game started to run out of steam in the back half since there were no new powers or transformations to introduce, but there were some fun challenges to clear, cute minigames and plenty of postgame stuff to do. The story goes to some strange places, as the series tends to do. Occasionally Kirby feels more like something released by Platinum Games, right down to the Bayonetta-style ability to dodge and slow down time.

#9 Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch) - ★★★★☆

Wow this was a long one. My total playtime clocked in around 70 hours, making it one of my most played Switch games - third only to Animal Crossing and Smash Bros. I have no regrets about spending so long playing Shin Megami Tensei V, though. The systems had me totally engrossed, with the loop of exploring the environment, recruiting new demons and fusing them together proving to be as satisfying as ever. The changes to the battle system worked well too, with plenty of challenging encounters that made up for the rather incoherent story. I do wish it ran better on the Switch, but the uneven framerate when running around the wastelands did at least add an uneasy, otherworldly quality to the experience.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Attention fellow 52ers! We actually have a pretty cool Game Club thing going on Discord (like a book club!) so please feel free to join! The link is in the OP. I actually completely missed it the first year I participated in the 52 Games Challenge so I just wanted to let y'all know in case anyone is interested.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

DYVfP5NX4AEeSfH

17. Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth: Book 3
A pretty satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. I loved my time with these VNs. The story is great and is backed up by excellent voice acting, music and art.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
10 - Top Gear 2 - SNES on SteamDeck - 3hrs / 25th May - 8/10
Very fun little racer. Maybe a little easy and gets a bit samey by the end but overall one of the better SNES racers.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
after 16 years, i've completed my first gamecube game after beating twilight princess.

the machine itself was essentially shelved once i bought the wii. there was practically no use for it aside from being a gamecube player. then, a christmas or birthday in 2020, a brand new copy of odama came as a special gift, complete with a microphone. not an easy or inexpensive thing to acquire. it was really thoughtful.

thanks to this thread and similar ones like it, i've been slowly but surely chipping away at the backlog. down to about 30ish games. really getting into some nitty-gritty things here that i downloaded years ago, or otherwise purchased as a teenager or early 20something and then put on a shelf. most of what remains are long rpgs. there's a lot to look forward to though: true classics like suikoden ii, valkyrie profile, and persona 3, as well as offbeat choices such as breath of fire dragon quarter, baten kaitos, and zhp: unlosing ranger vs darkdeath evilman. i look forward to it. it'll be fun.

but yeesh, every one of those is a solid 20 hour commitment, minimum. they're essentially exercise games (games i play while exercising), so that means at least two weeks per title. that doesn't include new stuff that's incoming like xenoblade 3, bayonetta 3, etc.

so in-between there are just a scant few non-rpgs on the list: astral chain, ape escape, alundra (technically... i guess...), and... odama!

odama was a nice palate cleanser. it was exactly the sort of frustrating weirdo game i would expect from the guy who made seaman.

odama is a resource management pinball game with voice commands. it takes place in feudal japan.

in it, soldiers carry the ninten bell to a goal. to do this, you need your army to push back against the opposing forces and get the bell to the goal. as one of only two games that require the microphone for gamecube, you give commands to soldiers to move left, right, advance, charge, press forward (and you'll say this a lot), etc. meanwhile, a massive pinball rampages across a battlefield under your semi-control. you'll be able to smack it using flippers. hopefully it takes out enemies and not your own guys. you also need to manage morale and replenish troops. replenishing troops is possible only when you use a green orb to make the ball glow, and then mow back over the enemies that have already been knocked down.

and there's a time limit.

i'll be honest: i used the action replay to beat this game. between the constant loss of troops and the time limit, i lost my patience after the second map (out of 11). this helped turn the game into a more standard pinball game, and that was much more my speed. the complications that compound on top of complications were just too much. being a weirdo pinball game with voice commands was more than enough. it didn't need all that other stuff on top of it too.

it really captured that feeling of a dreamcast game though. just the weirdness that sega was putting out into the world for the hell of it while they still had money. i don't even hate it, as frustrating as it was. it's just way beyond my skill level. i'm glad i could see it through to the end, even if i had to axe the time limit and the resource management aspect (although there was still a healthy degree of doing things - it wasn't a breeze even if those were my two major obstacles).

in the middle of all this... the gamecube's laser is dying. after 16 years of non-use, it looks like it's sort of at the end. i found a guide online and turned the gamecube into a skeleton one night until i was able to get the ohms on the potentiometer to hit 150 exactly, which is the lowest setting on a factory-set gamecube. it generally takes about a minute to warm up (turning on and off) and then the system will start to read the discs. unfortunately, the gamecube feels like it's on borrowed time. i've got tales of phantasia on the game boy advance, and i'd like to play it and baten kaitos on the system before the inevitable happens, and let the thing go out with one last hurrah.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time but here's some more games I've finished

8 - Elden Ring:
(5/5)

So, this game was the main reason on why I didn't finish a lot of games before. Elden Ring consumed my life. I love this game to death, it's my favorite souls game to date. I'm now waiting the DLC, whenever it comes.

9 - Super Mario 3D World:
(4/5)

It's nice to play a 3d level based Mario game. Now, I played the game alone so that certainly removed some of the fun from it and I'm not finishing this game 5 times to actually unlock the champions road. But I did have fun with it!

10 - Bowser's Fury:
(5/5)

Nintendo, please make a bigger game like this. PLEASE

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #38 - Xeodrifter
Time: 2 hours
Rating: ★★

Replay time, and unfortunately this did not hold up as well as I remembered. A very simple (and VERY short) metroidvania that very much feels like "my first metroidvania", it's not terrible by any means and I did enjoy my time with it once again, but it's hard to ignore the floaty gameplay and recycled bosses. Some neat traversal mechanics and actual decent level design still make it worthwhile but probably only for the hardcore fans of the genre.

Main Post

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
34. (Replay-sorta) Fire Emblem Three Houses (25/5/22) ★★★★★

Verdant Wind Playthrough
In case anyone was wondering about "replay-sorta", third time through the game but first time through the Golden Deer House's route.

The more I reflect on 2019 (don't we all considering the year that followed?), the more I realise it was truly a banger year for games, where my top three consisted of RE2 Remake, Mario Maker 2 and this game here, Three Houses.
I ran through Crimson Flower and Azure Moon back in 2019, and in late 2020 tackled the rather underwhelming DLC mini campaign with the Ashen Wolves.
With the musou spinoff incoming, I figured it was time to finally see what this Claude guy was all about.

To speak of three houses as whole, I think this is a pretty special game, it's certainly not as tight as some of the series other outings, not as bold with its level design as Radiant Dawn or Fates/Conquest (for the best for me mind you, Conquest kicked my arse) and can smack of inconsistency as the game tries to spread so much content over multiple routes. Yet for all the quibbles I could have about how the seemingly Persona esque inspired downtime in the monastery running dry in the second half of the game and whatever the heck is going on with those cutscene backgrounds, I think the complete package just nails it for me.
I was a bit dubious of the series direction coming off the Fates games, which outside of one campaign's level design, felt like it took all the wrong lessons from Awakening, Three Houses as such was always a much appreciated return to form for me and then some, it tonally captured a lot of what I loved about the GC and Wii duology.

I live for the contrast in atmosphere between the first half of the game and the second, I'm so glad this game doesn't cop out with a golden route (I expect the musou to absolutely do this mind you), it really adds to the weight of war breaking out, skewering students who you've built up bonds with on previous playthroughs is always wonderfully bittersweet, reminiscing about when I shared some almond blend tea with the person currently on the receiving end of my sick crit animation.

The characters form a lot of the heart of this game, so diving into a new house for the last time was like wrapping up what character loose ends I'd yet to explore.
I'd say that on the whole the Golden Deer class don't quite hit as high as the other two, where Black Eagles are heavily tied through their countries' politics, and Blue Lions are like a dysfunctional family with pre-existing relationships, the Golden Deer are this hodgepdge of nobles and commoners, which fits their Alliance region for sure, but in turn it tended to make a lot of their supports and characterisation feel a bit more quirky Fire Emblem Awakening style tropes, I mean it's still mostly good stuff but I can't shake the more one note vibe of say Leonie or Raphael.
Some characters like Marianne take a while to reveal their more interesting aspects, while Lorenz might be the stealth best member of the lot as a character, but you wont know it until you get deep into those supports!

Claude is a bit too clean for my liking, for a character who stands out among the three main house leaders for his immediate charisma, jokey vibe, scheming and liking to engage in underhanded tactics if need be, the game never really delivers on those last points. And in a game where both the other house leaders have a clear dark side, it makes Claude just come across too much as "this is the good guy option" when it's all said and done, if the other two characters can throw up some debate, this one just kinda...doesn't, and I feel like the potential was there for something much more interesting or at least with a bit more nuance.
This also ties into the plot of the route once the paths diverge, it kinda speedruns a portion of the Blue Lions route so you can finally get to my least liked plot element of any FE game, edgey dark mages with zero character being generically evil. Now I was actually intrigued going into this route, after the other two just sorta forgot about the stock dark magic villains in favour of more interesting stuff, still it was one of the big lore points I still didn't know about.
Unfortunately it only really accounted for like, two chapters? dubstep tech base and then the most random arse conclusion possible with this Nemesis guy, they're good maps at least but I was definitely left wanting for something more.

Still, fun times were had regardless of me expecting a bit more, I was able to play with a ton of DLC bonuses this time around, new clothes, new sauna, feeding cats!
Also the Ashen Wolves who actually come across infinitely better integrated into the main campaign than they do in their own mini sidestory, I didn't really care for any of them after the DLC, but now thanks to this run, they are also all my buds, Balthus constantly amuses me, and I went for the S rank with Hapi, a good showing for the Abyss dwellers.

As it stands I think I'm pretty comfortable saying Azure Moon > Crimson Flower > Verdant Wind > Silver Snow (haven't played, but looking it up, it's a worse VW).
Which by all accounts will wrap up any Three Houses playing for the immediate future, onwards to three hopes, where I expect its plot and new characters to be dopey doodoo honestly, can't really say why, find out if I feel that way in this thread in just over a months time or so.

PS: since I didn't get to mention this anywhere above, holy shit Lysithea is broken, my god, it's hilarious, she is truly the mini nuke

dfnuvr4uryd31.png

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
OSW0Zjx.jpg

Game #39 - Kirby and The forgotten Land
Time: 15 hours
Rating: ★★★★★

What a absolute delight this was, easily one of my favorite games this year, Kirby and the Forgotten Land was just pure joy from start to end. Some of the best visuals you'll see on the system (at least portable), great soundtrack, a ton of level variety and a bunch of powers to use (each with multiple upgrades!) make this a complete must play for any fan of 3d platformers. It's easy for sure, and that migt put some people off, but there's some challenge in going for a completion run, but most of all, its just fun to play and experience.

header.jpg

Game #40 - Death's Gambit Afterlife
Time: 15 hours
Rating: ★★★★

Little torn on this one, it feels like a game I should have absolutely loved, but in the end, it was a fine entry to the genre but not much else for me. The pixel art is absolutely fantastic and the gameplay was quite good, but thhe progression seems a bit disjointed in a way I can't put my finger on, and ultimately the game rellies too much on redoing bosses and NG+ for my taste (I'm very much a one and done with games these days). Still, its very well made, the map is big and it has plenty of bosses to sick your teeth into, I would say it's a very solid metroidvania that falls short of the upper echelon of the genre.

Main Post

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
35. (replay) Kirby 64 (27/5/22) ★★★

ciNzmal.gif

In case you all weren't tired of the Kirb in this thread quite yet, here's one more for the road.
Another perfectly okay outing, it's quite interesting playing this again relatively close to other babby's first 2D N64 platformer, Yoshi's Story.
By comparison Kirby is a lot more standard in structure and doesn't have as interesting level design gimmicks or gameplay ideas, it does however make much stronger use of the platform's visual capabilities for a 2D game, which is to say this is full on 2.5D with the camera shifting about to create a strong sense of place, even now with multiple 2D games utilising 3D visuals like the 3DS entries to the series, Kirby 64 just feels like it makes greater use of said space, it's saying something when it makes me look back on triple deluxe and robobot as being oddly static by comparison, yet here we are.

The visuals actually surprised me here, they hold up very well in this simple and clean style that looks great now that I'm not running this through an N64 and its blurro vision. Each stage is fairly unique in backgrounds as well, there's a lot less obvious asset flipping going on, art direction really pulls through with the second world's obligatory desert/ruins theme standing out in particular, alongside the second stage autumnal forest. The game gets by quite well on that atmosphere, supported by another twee soundtrack that's up there among the series best, a couple of top notch remixes (above the clouds is arguably the best take on butter building out there, down the mountain stream is a great take on Dreamland 3's 1-1) and a pair of final boss themes that both go hard in their own ways, actually the boss theme in general is a bop.

The core gimmick and reason Kirby 64 endures in people's memories is the copy mixing, of the six copy abilities (fire, ice, electricity, bomb, needle, cutter), two can be combined (including with itself) to make a new power up, leading to some of the most creative and esoteric copy abilities the series has ever had.
In reality though, around a third of these are kinda naff.
In general the ability quality disparity is possibly higher here than in any game, my personal fave, the fireworks, absolutely tears through the game with a satisfying three blast combo, while there's some truly poor combos like ice and fire leading to a melting ice cube like the devs didn't know what to do either here. Granted with so many options it's expected that some may lean on the side of jokey or one note.

On that point, Owl's fave five copy abilities of K64
1. Fireworks (fire and bomb)
2. Exploding Shuriken (cutter and bomb)
3. Fire Sword (Fire and Cutter)
4. Dreamland 2 and 3 animal sculptures (stone and cutter), specifically the 1/6 chance of getting Pitch who is comically potent, the rest are slow and dreadful unfortunately
5. Electric tether rock? (spark/electricity and stone)
Honestly when they're good, they're good, having to cut giant stone Kirb or the drill from my list kinda highlights how many fun gimmicks there are despite the lesser ones.
Though I also have to point out the strangeness of base cutter in this game, Kirby throws his very arms off as a boomerang, which limits your movement until it slowly returns, alongside cutter and spike turning Kirby's arm's into a spiky maw snaptrap, there's some nightmare fuel going on with the pink puff here.

Ultimately though it's kind of a novelty, having now played many more Kirby games where each ability packs a full moveset, and even this game's predecessor Dreamland 3 doing the same gimmick except it was mixing one of the abilities with an animal friend instead, often with more entertaining results at that, it kinda highlights to me that for all the hype, K64's big gimmick really is just that, a gimmick.

And thus we now look towards the level design and...it's fine I guess, I mean for an easy kiddos platformer/brawler anyway
There's a bit more going on than in Dreamland 3 for sure, while some find Kirby a bit slow and plodding here, I think the game's pace actually has an almost more methodical feel to it that actually works out. At the same time, if someone says "Kirby 64's level design is boring and a load of nothing", I probably don't have much counter to that either outside the factory stage, I think you really have to be taken in by the vibe and aforementioned gimmick for this one. It's a hort game, and that's probably to its benefit, though the last world being such a cakewalk even by Kirby standards is a shame because I love the idea of the last world being the most colourful and candy coated of them all.

Then there's 100% completion, no sir, not doing this again after the N64 days, this is a big misfire on the game, often hiding collectables behind destructible objects requiring one specific ability combo, with no way of knowing until you're already there as only two or three have the ability to nab the power ups close by or allow the backtrack in general. So no Zero Two and his bleeding eye for me, I just wrapped this one up with Miracle Matter who actually whupped me four times to my shame.
Also the chequerboard minigame is dope, the series best minigame for sure.

I think that's enough Kirby for me in 2022, unless HAL re-release more titles as part of the anniversary festivities.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
11 - Addams Family - SNES on SteamDeck - 4hrs / 27th May - 8/10
Such a great little platform we with so many secrets. Hard as nails but you get so many lives and you can upgrade your hearts that it doesn't become too frustrating.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
36: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. End: 5/27/2022. (3 out of 5)

And with this I have now beaten all the main Final Fantasy titles outside of the MMOs.

The basic gameplay and narrative have some serious flaws that drag it down in my eyes. The story is a lot easier to follow than the earlier games, but good luck trying to piece things together without playing them. The countdown is good in theory, but I found it extremely cumbersome to deal with at times. And that basically describes the game (and the FF XIII series) in a nutshell. It can be cumbersome at times.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
12 - Sakura Wars GB: Go Forth, Young cadet! - GBC on SteamDeck - 2hrs / 28th May - 9/10
Really short visual novel but very fun premise and a good time for a couple of hours. The English fan translation is perfect, I just wish they also translate the second GBC game in the series too. Worth replaying multiple times courting different protagonists to get different endings.

13 - WolfChild - SNES on SteamDeck - 1hr / 28th May - 6/10
It's a fun distraction for a little while but there's not enough substance and it's too short. Great graphics though.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
37: Rival Turf! End: 5/29/2022. (2 out of 5)

Pretty much the definition of "bland." A beat-em-up from the early SNES days with little to differentiate it from its contemporaries.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
26. Ice Cold Beer (Arcade) | 26 May - 1 hrs | 4/5

This past weekend I was at The Shed Arcade and I managed to clear all 10 holes in the electromechanical arcade game made by Taito in 1982.

This is one of those games that are easy for anyone to pick up but it takes some getting used to the controls before you can balance the ball all the way to the 10th hole.

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

Evoland_Logo.png

18. Evoland
This was a cute, little adventure that didn't overstay its welcome. Wasn't a huge fan of the Zelda-like parts, mostly because the mechanics just weren't that good. It worked much better as an rpg, but again, it wasn't long so it's not that big of a deal.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Speeding things up somewhat after a relatively slow couple of months, a pleasing 11 games beaten in May takes my total to 34 for the year so far.

Master post here.

30bc53bdb5d71ac9567e5aca08048fbe3ecc7c96.png

24. Kirby's Adventure (NES via Nintendo Switch Online) | 1 May 2022 | 8/10
100% in-game completion, VS Boss mode beaten. My first time with this early game in the Kirby franchise, Kirby's Adventure is really very impressive for an NES game and holds up well to this day, a very playable game and an enjoyable few hours. Graphics are colourful and expressive throughout, while some of the classic musical themes of the franchise show up here and are just as catchy as they always have been. The gameplay is where the game shines, though, particularly with the highly innovative introduction of the copy ability system, where Kirby absorbs the powers of enemies who he swallows to provide him with a wide range of different attacks - and which also serve as the means to explore many of the game's rewardingly-hidden secrets.

Despite the generally quite low difficulty level, there are still come decently challenging segments. Even without those, the boss encounters that conclude each of the game's seven worlds are particularly great fun to play through, being just as innovative as the ability system - while a bonus unlockable "VS boss" mode (one of several available) allows each access to these and greater replayability.

header.jpg

25. TOEM (PC - Steam) | 2 May 2022 | 8/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Delightful. TOEM is a photography-themed 'adventure' game, played from a (fully rotatable and zoomable) pseudo-isometric perspective as the player explores a series of environments and solving the problems/requests of each area's inhabitants through the use of a camera to capture images that fulfil the request. While this sounds simple, there's often a puzzle aspect to these, such as how to take a photo of a 'monster' that hides as you approach, or simply an observation challenge from well-hidden items.

With no combat element, a gentle musical theme and appealing hand-drawn monochrome graphics, playing TOEM is a very relaxing experience, while highly satisfying as you 'tick off' the completion of 'missions' from a list to progress through each of four primary areas. Photo-taking switches to a first-person perspective, and for the more creative players, a persistent album allows snaps to be captured longer-term. A checklist of animals inhabiting each area adds a "collect 'em up" aspect, once again highly compelling, at just the right level of challenge in how well-hidden these tend to be.

Kirby-Forgotten-Land.jpg

26. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch) | 7 May 2022 | 9/10
100% in-game completion; par times met on all Treasure Road challenges. Turning out better than I think most people would have hoped, Kirby and the Forgotten Land sees Kirby making the transition to 3D in style. Kirby controls perfectly as he explores the meticulously-designed levels - and while reaching the end is each is generally fairly straightforward, a little exploration pays off handsomely, with secrets generously populated throughout. Most significantly, each level has five separate objectives - there's always the simple "reach the end", but then there are a number of hidden waddle-dee allies to rescue each time, alongside three further hidden objectives - which the player may discover naturally, but failing that, successfully beating a level then reveals one of the unmet objectives, immediately tempting a further replay and bringing natural longevity to the game.

Bright, colourful graphics and a charming, memorable soundtrack impact a sense of joyous fun throughout, which really is the overwhelming feeling coming away from Kirby and the Forgotten Land. A generally lower level of difficulty and complexity means that the game can't quite match the heights of Mario's best, but that isn't to take much away from the merits of this excellent first outing - which bodes well for the surely inevitable sequels!

header.jpg

27. Arise: A Simple Story (PS4) | 10 May 2022 | 7/10
Completed with platinum trophy earned. It starts a little slowly, but Arise: A Simple Story grew on me as I progressed further into it, introducing greater diversity to its originally simple gameplay mechanics - all primarily based around time manipulation, bringing some complexity to otherwise fairly straightforward 3D platforming. Undeniably graphically stunning (my main reason for buying on PS4 rather than Switch), there's also a beautiful musical score throughout, perfectly fitting with the game's simple but touching, emotional story of love and loss.

header.jpg

28. Beneath a Steel Sky (PC - Steam) | 14 May 2022 | 6/10
Complete playthrough. While clearly graphically impressive for its time, as my first time playing Beneath a Steel Sky it didn't really hold up as well as I'd hoped, not quite capturing the same 'magic' as so many LucasArts classics. The puzzles often feel unintuitive in their solutions - particularly on the occasion when there's a timing based element to them - and without the comedic element that serves to counter the potential for similar criticism in the case of, say, the Monkey Island or Sam & Max games. That said, the sci-fi story is compelling, alongside a strong cast of well-written characters, so I can see why the game is held up by many as a classic of the point-and-click adventure genre - and it raises my interest in trying out the recently-released sequel.

Star-Trek-Borg.jpg

29. Star Trek: Borg (PC) | 21 May 2022 | 5/10
Complete playthrough. Star Trek: Borg is a mid-1990s FMV game ("interactive movie"), playing out what effectively comprises a first-person Star Trek episode, in the The Next Generation era - when the titular nemesis, the Borg, were a popular theme of the show. The story that plays out here isn't anything particularly notable, but it's a decently enjoyable way for a fan of the franchise (of which I count myself among) to spend the hour or so that it takes to play through - depending on the level of success in solving the ocassional puzzles that punctuate the video sequences. Those puzzles are frankly a little poor, typically requiring either guesswork or being completely trivial, at least after the use of a scanner that spells out the answer - but do at least serve to maintain a degree of focus. I'd recommend playing with a guide to hand to minimise any potential frustrations!

While most of the game's cast are little-known, the game's greatest comes from the acting of John de Lancie, reprising his role from the TV series as the omnipotent Q. Serving as the core driver behind the plot, Q pulls a cadet (from whose view the game plays out) into the midst of a front-line encounter with the Borg, and we get several excellently-acted sequences for the benefit only of said cadet. There's some great humour in several of the fail sequences in particular, which serve to lift the overall experience and leave a positive feeling in the end, despite the game's shortcomings.

header.jpg

30. F.I.S.T.: Forged in Shadow Torch (PS5) | 22 May 2022 | 9/10
Platinum trophy earned, 100% complete. F.I.S.T.: Forged in Shadow Torch is genuinely one of the best 'Metroidvania' games that I've played in recent memory, really nailing the satisfying exploration -> upgrade -> further exploration gameplay loop. Alongside this, there's an impressively deep melee combat system, well balanced with frequently quite challenging - but manageable - enemy encounters.

Also impressive are the game's detailed '2.5D' graphics, making good use of the PS5's power, and strong musical score, ranging suitably from relaxing to energetic as the situation and setting demand.

The accompanying storyline is serviceable enough, but pairs nicely with an unusual world design, where we have a city populated by anthropomorphic animals (the games' protagonist is a battle-hardened rabbit, wielding a huge mechanical fist) in a 'diesel-punk' era - all played with a satisfying seriousness. Although the game seems to be receiving disappointing low levels of publicity, it's definitely deserving of the attention of any fans of the genre.

header.jpg

31. The Corridor (PC - Steam) | 23 May 2022 | 7/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. The Corridor is a short 'experience' game, based around the idea that the game doesn't *want* to be played. The player is initially presented with a featureless white corridor, empty save for a red button at the end, which upon being pressed, closes the game. Relaunching, the button is then moved/recontextualised, with a further plea from the game for you to leave. This approach repeats throughout, with the core appeal coming from the humourous voiceover and range of approaches to trying to deceive the player - from a simple corner 'hiding' the button, to turning the player around, starting the game with a black window to make it seem that the game is hanging, and much more. It's all very simple, but enjoyable to see what the game comes up with for each successive attempt - and at 20-30 minutes for a complete playthrough, the perfect length to explore this concept without becoming stale. Good fun.

25d85a8c39eba12733cac1c87525ac0c5e7eaa4f.png

32. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards | 27 May 2022 | 7/10
100% in-game collection, all enemy info cards collected. In The Crystal Shards, we see Kirby's first "3D" outing, albeit here just with 3D graphics and 2D gameplay. Still, there's some good use of this "2.5D" approach to provide an effective sense of depth to what would otherwise be very basic environments, due to the very early stages of 3D graphic evolution that we're seeing here. Gameplay is typical of the series, being generally very easy, but still maintaining the player's interest with variations on the core platforming - including minecart rides and interludes with King Dedede as an alternative protagonist, to give a couple of examples. I've mixed feelings about Kirby 64's implementation of the series' trademark copy abilities - only six are on offer here, but these come with the potential to pair each with any other to offer an ability that combines features of the two. In reality there are only a few that are particularly useful, but the experimentation that this offers will in itself appeal to many players.

Overall, I feel that the drive to apply a 3D presentation that was such a focus of most N64 games doesn't really serve Kirby 64's best interests, which seems to be supported the subsequent return to much more polished 2D games. Still a decent enough game overall, but far from the series' peak.

6d7c6489bbafc6e25a1a116c6ce9134507bb7c1b.png

33. Congo's Caper (SNES) | 29 May 2022 | 5/10
Complete playthrough. A thoroughly 'okay' 2D platformer that's over very quickly (a full playthrough takes roughly 1-2 hours), Congo's Caper is enjoyable enough, but feels very generic and doesn't really excel in any particular areas. On a platform featuring a lot of games in this style - some still at the very peak of their genre - it needs to do much more to leave a lasting positive impression.

Rival-Turf.gif

34. Rival Turf! (SNES) | 29 May 2022 | 4/10
Complete playthrough. I'm no fighting game afficionado, but 2D brawler Rival Turf! felt at best very generic, but overall pretty poor. A very bland plot doesn't exactly give a strong first impression and while in terms of presentation the game is serviceable enough, gameplay really is key in this genre - and here is where the game succeeds least. A choice of two characters provides some variety, but neither has much in the way of fighting move variety - for the most part, we're just dealing here with a basic punch combo, a throw and a couple of kicks. A very unforgiving difficulty level doesn't help matters either, with the protagonist's approach draining very quickly from enemy attacks, and boss encounters that can feel downright unfair - were it not for the benefits of rewind and save states via emulation.

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
End of May update

1. Yakuza Like A Dragon (XSX) JAN 3- 123 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES 9/10
2. The Forgotten City (XSX) JAN 22- 13 HOURS AND 48 MINUTES 9/10
3. Hitman( 2016) (XSX) FEB 4 68 HOURS AND 22 MINUTES 9/10
4. It Takes Two (PS5) FEB 8 14 HOURS 12 MINUTES 4/10
5. Hitman 2 (XSX) MAR 22 45 HOURS AND 38 MINUTES 8/10
6. Unpacking (XSX) APR 7 6 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 6/10
7. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS5) APR 18 76 HOURS AND 49MINUTES 8/10
12.Life Is Strange True Colors (XSX) MAY 29 12 HOURS AND 41 MINUTES 4/10
13.Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds MAY 30 10 HOURS AND 11 MINUTES

finished 2 to end the month
write-ups coming
12.Life Is Strange True Colors (XSX) MAY 29 12 HOURS AND 41 MINUTES 4/10
13.Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds MAY 30 10 HOURS AND 11 MINUTES (hzd TOTAL)

NP
Hitman 3/ 3 maps in
MLB The Show 22 (wrapping up rtts and road to october)
Trek To Yomi/ 1 chapter left
Tiny Tina Wonderlands Level 13

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
aruNV51.png

11. Chinatown Detective Agency - 5/10

The game starts off strong with a good atmosphere and some cases to introduce you to the core concepts of the game. Sadly it doesn't really evolve past that opening hour. Cases remain simple and short with the occasional puzzle or cipher thrown in while the story is ok but could have been executed better. I generally liked the characters in the game though.

The worst part are the bugs. For such a simple game there are quite a lot of bugs where parts of the interface stop working, causing you to reload the game. And because there is no manual saving and the game only saves at the start of a game...you have a good recipe for a lot of frustrating moments.

1. The Forgotten City (XSX) | 3rd Jan - 8 hrs | 8
2. Psychonauts 2 (XSX) | 8th Jan - 15 hrs | 7
3. The Gunk (XSX) | 9th Jan - 5 hrs | 6
4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XSX) | 13th Jan - 8 hrs | 8
5. Expeditions: Rome (PC) | 29th Jan - 70 hrs | 8
6. Dying Light 2 (PC) | 17th Feb - 60 hrs | 8
7. Death's Door (XSX) | 30th Mar - 10 hrs | 7
8. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PS5) | 10th April - 30 hrs | 3
9. Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS5) | 27th April - 40 hrs | 6
10. Ghost of Tsushima (PS5) | 4th May - 50 hrs | 6
11. Chinatown Detective Agency (PC) | 1st Jun - 10 hrs | 5

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
38: Young Souls. End: 6/1/2022. (3.5 out of 5)

A beat-em-up that combines RPG elements and attempts at a deeper narrative aren't exactly unique. Although this game's artstyle helps it stand out against the pack. A couple of issues do bring it down a bit in my eyes. But a solid enough game as is.

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

May

25. Blue Fire (PC) | 1st May - 9 hours | 3.5/5 : Took me a while to really get into it, but once you unlock more ways to traverse the environment I found it pretty fun
26. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (PC) | 4th May - 7 hours | 2.5/5 : I have love for this game from a childhood perspective, but I fucking hate fighting the camera and controls
27. Crossing Souls (PC) | 12th May - 6 hours | 2.5/5 : Loved the design and aesthetic, but the actual gameplay and story were not enjoyable
28. Rogue Legacy (PC) | 17th May - 23 hours | 3.5/5 : Still a really fun gameplay loop, cool new classes, and interesting bosses, but the upgrades were so timing consuming to get. I think I still prefer the first one
29. Paradise Killer (PC) | 23rd May - 10 hours | 4/5 : A vibe, I'm upset with myself that I slept on this for so long. A great game
30. Darksiders Genesis (PC) | 28th May - 11 hours | 3/5 : While I really like the Darksiders games, I found this the weakest. I guess they want you to replay levels a bunch, but the game was pretty easy just going through once.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
39: Infernax. End: 6/2/2022. (4 out of 5)

Infernax is a throwback to old Metroidvanias. A game I found to be quite fun. And just like old Metroidvanias, sometimes the game doesn't quite tell you where you need to go. On the plus side, it has a special mode where if you enter the Konami code at the title screen you can play as a Contra-inspired character. (Guess how I played through this game, lol.)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, it's June. What happened. Crap.

20. Dirt 3 (PC, 2011) - 12:47 - May 11
21. Citizen Sleeper (PC, 2022) - 5:08 - May 12

Still on track but lost some of my safety margin last month. A lot of this is due to the sheer number of games I started as a result of the Steam Deck. I now have a ridiculous number of playthroughs running, but hopefully should be able to close a bunch of them in the coming weeks. (Probably weeks. Sure.)

Citizen Sleeper is the obvious standout, and it would be even if there were more games in the May list. I remember being intrigued by the concept but it's exceeded all my expectations, and I highly recommend it to everyone. It's my early contender for Game of the Year. Meanwhile, Dirt 3 was a good racing game to pick away at mindlessly, and a fun way to break in the Steam Deck.

This month has taken a bit of a detour: I've suddenly become obsessed with Project Sekai: Colorful Stage. It's been a while since I played any gacha game, let alone seriously, and I think this might be the first one where the F2P aspects might actually improve the game slightly for me: I've always had an issue with falling off rhythm games because I'm not really a score chaser and once I finish all the songs at least once, there isn't much reason for me to go back and try again at more punishing difficulties. But not only is Project Sekai my favourite type of rhythm gameplay (versus other Project Diva games, which I find a little difficult to read), the regular events and marathon-style competition actually gives me an external reason to keep playing, improving my abilities and pushing the difficulty occasionally. AND it does that gacha thing where your score actually isn't particularly reflective of your skill, it's based on the quality of your characters. This is great for me because it means score chasing essentially isn't a thing; it's all based on luck or P2W anyways, so I don't need to stress over it.

...uh, where was I? Oh yeah. Dorfromantik I think I can technically call "done" because I've finished a few games, but I'd like to poke at it a little more before I put it in the "complete" column and I think it'll be a nice digital toy to play with every so often. I have a No Man's Sky expedition to complete, and a playthrough of Beast Breaker that I think I can wrap up soon too (I hope). Maybe then I can get back to a few other games I've let sit around a bit too long, or at least make some decisions about what to cut--like, what am I really trying to prove playing Black Ops III for the second time?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I'm a little late since I had to return from an unjust ban, but now am finished up with April. Main post through here.

May (32/52)
26. Resident Evil 2 Remake - PS5 - 3 hours, 8 minutes
27. Trek to Yomi - Xbox Series X - 4 hours, 32 minutes
28. Lost Words: Beyond the Page - Xbox Series X - 3 hours, 26 minutes
29. Resident Evil 3 Remake - PS5 - 2 hours, 15 minutes
30. Peggle 2 - Xbox Series X - 4 hours
31. Umurangi Generation: Special Edition - Xbox Series X - 3 hours, 44 minutes
32. Pick Pack Pup - Playdate - 2 hours

I am making steady progress, especially with the smaller and shorter games. Already ended up with one for June already, too.

June (36/52)
33. Lost Your Marbles - Playdate - 45 minutes
34. The Quarry - Xbox Series X - 8 hours, 36 minutes
35. TMNT: Shredder's Revenger - Xbox Series X - 3 hours, 34 minutes
36. Neon White - Switch - 20 hours

Last edited:

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
41) Mega Man X3 - Consistently my least favorite of the games on X Legacy Collection 1 and yet miles better than nearly everything on X Legacy Collection 2. The stages are overly long and it is way more of a chore to get all the collectible upgrades, but the gameplay and graphics are classic X through and through so even at its lowest moments it is an exceptionally tight and well-crafted game. I like the maverick designs for the most part although there does seem to be an unusually high amount of bugs and sea creatures compared to the rest of the franchise. The ride armors all look super cool, but they have such limited utility that it's kinda weird that they're all in it. Very situational! The use of Zero in this game also truly pales in comparison to how he is in X4 and on. 8/10
latest

42) Resident Evil Village - The best non-remake RE game since 4 back on the Gamecube. While I love 7 and think it is a huge return to form after the bad games between 4 and now, Village is an elevation on what 7 gave us. The graphics and general atmosphere is incredibly captivating which is especially impressive given how so much of this game is both outdoors and set during daylight hours. I am excited for some DLC and on board with whatever Capcom chooses to do with the franchise going forward. Certainly 9 has an exciting set-up. 9/10
resident-evil-8-village-farmhouse.jpg

43. Mega Man ZX - The ZX games are so damn underrated and unknown, but I am glad that they had a chance to finally get some recognition and new fans through their inclusion on the Zero/ZX Legacy Collection. I remembered liking the game a bit more the last time I played it than this time but overall it was still a really good experience. In fact, I think I prefer ZX to at least 3 or more of the X games so that's saying quite a bit. I did a Vent playthrough whereas last time I played as Aile, so it was slightly different from a story perspective and I guess this means I ought to do the Ashe playthrough on my ZX Advent run later this year. ZX does a lot right: beautiful graphics, tight gameplay that feels just as sharp and responsive as the X and Zero games, and a fantastic soundtrack. The problems it has unfortunately make it so it will never be a top favorite of mine among all the Mega Man series. Namely, it fails as a Metroidvania due to how horrendous the map is and how few fast travel points there are. This results in way too much backtracking and general confusion. The side-quests are also terrible and two of the four sub tanks are either tedious or hilariously difficult to get. The story isn't particularly arresting but the character designs are really awesome and the innovation around changing forms is really awesome. 8/10
MV5BM2U1MTM4NjktZWNlNC00M2NkLTg2ZTMtZmRiYWIzM2JkYWVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM2NDIwMzQ@._V1_.jpg

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
Games from May (didn't get to complete must of the games I've started last month):

28. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) | May/13 - 6hrs | ★★★★☆
uAWS6ln.gif

I've already got the platinum for The Phantom Pain, but never have explored GZ much beyond the (excellent) main mission. This time I decided to play the Side Ops and other extras contained here, and it's a very fun "playground", despite the lack of some improvements and possibilities included in the TPP.​

29. Never Alone (Kisima Inŋitchuŋa) (PS4) | May/15 - 3hrs | ★★★☆☆
niZOrSP.gif

A "cinematic platformer" based on a tale told by one of the native people of Alaska, Iñupiaq. The most interesting part of the game are the "cultural insights", short videos with Iñupiaq people talking about their lives, traditions and relationships with nature. These are quite interesting and something that is definitely worth seeing. The game itself is very simple, it suffered from some bugs, mainly on the challenges of the final chapters that involve platform with wind mechanics, but as the game is very short, it is not really that problematic.​

30. Transistor (PS4) | May/22 - 16hrs | ★★★★★
LUCKxFE.gif

For some reason I had never played the second Supergiant Games game, despite loving Bastion and Hades. Everything that the studio's games are known for are here: beautiful 2D visuals, excellent voice acting and an impeccable soundtrack. The difference is, unlike the frenetic action of the other two games mentioned, Transistor has a more tactical gameplay and a slower pace, all of this set in a sci-fi world where many details of the story end up being purposefully obtuse. It took me a while to really appreciate the combat, I think this is one of those cases where the gameplay only truly shines at an advanced point where you get enough skills to play more with the possibilities that the game offers. But it's something I was happy to insist on, thinking "I want more of this" when I've finished all the extra challenges available in the "sandbox" mode. I feel like the mechanics, the story and especially the soundtrack are things that will stay with me for a long time. Even now that I write this, days after completing New Game +, I already feel like it's a game that the more I think about it, more I like it. Even still thinking that Hades is the complete realization of all the talent available on Supergiant (until now), Transistor is so daring and interesting that it captivates me like few games, even with its imperfections, such as some long and repetitive combats, a kinda unintuitive menu , in addition to a very linear progress. But the real biggest problem with Transistor, is that there will hardly be a "Transistor 2"...​

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
36. (Replay) Sonic Unleashed (3/6/22) ★★

I've been chipping away at this since late 2020, I picked it back up on a whim last night, inspired by how mid the new Sonic looks and then realised I was closing in on the end so I might as well wrap it up.

Hoo boy, where to begin with this one? Unleashed occupies a strange spot in Sonic discourse, seemingly derided and praised in equal measure, well maybe not equal, the derision understandably overpowers the praise.
Even if you've never played Unleashed, I think it's well known as being "the Werehog one", the one where there's like a 30/70% split of actually pretty cool Sonic speed stages being crowded out by mashy God of War for kiddos night stages.

So my first surprise going back through this since its release in 2008, was that the werehog wasn't actually as awful as I remember, dare I even say that there were the bones of something decent in here that Sonic Team just weren't capable of putting together in a particularly strong way. Werehog might be the most straight platforming Sonic had done in 3D, it's not great and relies heavily on homing attack esque lock ons with your inexplicably stretchy limbs to deliver a stilted and sluggish prince of persia like approach to swinging, climbing and such. As sluggish as it is, I almost appreciate the slight freedom to make short cuts as you pray to the lock on gods that the game will allow you to shave off entire segments with some sly corner cutting.
The combat is...there, it doesn't quite understand how to make its God of War esque QTEs feel satisfying, nor is there any depth unsurprisingly, it's functional, within the same combo string you can go from it feeling on to off as some moves land with a mighty whomp, and others mysteriously sail through your foes.

If anything the actual shit show with Werehog comes from a few elements surrounding it, the most blatant of them is the absolutely baffling lack of a drop shadow when jumping, I have no f'n clue why this is the case, Sonic has one in the day, but what, did Sega go "welp, it's night, guess it makes no sense to have that platforming necessary drop shadow!", thus extended pure platforming sections are truly butt clenching affairs of never quite being sure of your landing zone, in a world of bottomless bits, as werehog sonic lets out yet another comically loud URRRRGGGGH as he plops right over the intended platform.
Then you have a few enemies that are just pure basura, the bloomin' wasps that seem to gain random i frames and auto evade at half health while dealing inexplicably huge damage compared to anything else, they beg for you to finish them with a QTE, this game's QTE's being a wacky risk/reward gambit where if you try them when the enemy has more halth, the timing window is tiny and then you'll both take damage and the enemy regains health upon failure, way to make QTEs worse Sonic Team.
And then you got THE BIG GUYS, capable of shockwave stunlock city, from off screen because of course this game's camera cannot always be relied upon.
The last standard enemy fight of the game consists of two of these and boy oh boy is it a riot

Downtime heavily leans on "slowly move these boxes/blocks, transport these keys to their appropriate slot, balance across these beams, do menial shit I guess!", at least the night music is pleasingly smooth, if you get enough time to enjoy it between the constant, and I mean constant, Werehog battle theme. I can't bring myself to say I hate the Werehog though, it's more like the game will throw segments within these stages that suddenly spike the challenge or are designed so haphazardly that you only remember the seething distaste. On that note, this game's final boss had me reaching for the fabled first one star game rating of my challenge, I ultimately resisted because the daytime stages and other points I'll get onto are just enough to save it from one star territory where worse sonic games belong, point is, the final boss blows absolute chunks.

The 30% of the game that's fun, is the original foundation for the now tired boost formula of Sonic. Strictly speaking, compared to later entries like colours and especially generations, a lot of Unleashed's 8 or so main sonic stages can feel rather samey in actual execution, distinct level gimmicks are few and far between, you get a bobsled in the ice stage, empire city is more grind rail centric, Adabat opts for a few boost on water stretches, otherwise, it's an escalation of recurring elements still seen to this day in Frontiers recent footage. I once saw this game described more like time trials, and if I reframe the world tour stage theming as escalating point to point one man time trials, you can almost see it like Sonic F1 or something. This is to say, the game could be argued as more about learning and mastering the "circuits" while going as fast as possible, and less about the platforming more apparent in Colours and Generations.
I don't think the few stages here are worth the hassle of the rest of the game to experience when you can just go play Generations, but they are all fun and have top notch aesthetics.

Which leads me nicely into why this game has some rather staunch supporters to this day, see for all its failings (I didn't even get to the QTE plane segments, the back half of Eggmanland, and Chip yet!), this game feels like the last time Sonic Team had an honest to God budget.
Look, not to take away from Colours being a rather spiffy wii outing, but that's standard definition with reeled in scope. Generations is pretty close visually, but once more, outside of the stages the game has a really reigned in approach with few cutscenes and a white void hub. Unleashed though? they really went all out, from the game's still gorgeous opening cinematic, to the numerous real world inspired hubs, complete with NPCs (pleasingly cartoony and thus avoiding any 06 pitfalls) that can have their own ongoing stories across the game, and the visuals which still hold up very well.
The feeling that Sonic Team were really trying here is readily apparent, some of my favourite parts of this relay were just this small slices of culture from roaming the hubs, day or night with music to match (and that OST in general may be the most ambitious in the series, even if not the best for me), basically Unleashed has VIBE.

Which is why it stands out all the more when it sucks, the extra acts feel like romhack stages where the devs knew they'd made disasters so they liberally drop one ups after every checkpoint as a band aid for fixing level design. The story is a load of guff with cornball cutscenes that are neither snarky or meaningless enough to get away with it like the following games, nor insanely earnest and dumb enough to be entertaining like Adventure 2, it's just resoundingly ehhhhhhhh. Focused around Sonic's lame forced friendship with a winged scrappy doo named Chip who trades "let me at 'em, I'll splat em" for cowardice (to which you might say, the opposite of Scrappy doo then? errr yeah I guess, but he also makes scooby doo revving up cartoon running noises so shush). The game is trying so hard for some emotional finale and just like when I beat it back in 2008, I feel nothing, especially not when the sappy ending theme comes in and my faces creases into itself.

And all this is what makes Unleashed hard to gauge, boy did they try here, and the foundations for some of the (few) best modern sonic games were made right here as well.
Yet the game is so uneven, so troubled in other spots, clumsy in design (did I forget to mention the collectables needed for stage progression?) and follows various trends of the time without actually understanding them (something something Sonic Frontiers).
It's not quite the best and worst of Sonic in one package, yet that's very close to the expereince, it's like the near worst and surprising highs of Sonic in one game! there's a box tagline right there.
All encapsulated with the game's last main stage, Eggmanland, which takes like 30 minutes on a good run, alternating between standard and were sonic throughout (honestly kinda neat actually) which could have been a genuinely solid final stage if it only had the sense to end halfway through, but nope, noooo, Sonic Team gonna Sonic Team, tale as old as time.

37. What the Golf? (5/6/22) ★★★

And now for something completely different, from anything really.
A creative endeavour that smacks somewhat of Wario Ware in its ability to constantly surprise you with bitesize scenarios.
So it's golf, but it's also not golf, that's the joke that makes up the 4 and a half hours it took me to get 100% out of the campaign, somehow this joke manages to keep going without getting too tired.
It's the kind of game that's tough to describe, in part because I'd want anyone interested in playing it to go in blind as it benefits hugely from surprising the player.
Effectively the game could be described as getting as much mileage out of pointing and charging up an arrow marker as possible, initially it seems like it's going to stick with the golf like core and just changing your ball, slowly but surely though, things get more wild, 2D shifts, genre shift, full sections based upon other games.
It's good fun, but I could only play it in bitesize chunks.

Cheat Code

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Main Post

On top of this I did another playthrough of Elden Ring for the platinum and that decimated 50 hours of my time. Will do a re-review of it in my next block.

CC-Bird-Game.png

BIRD GAME +
5/10

Cute little game, doing bird things and fighting a few bosses. I think the loose controls let it down a little bit, and definitely make the game harder than it should be, but the game is short enough that it doesn't get super vexxing.

Bosses are definitely the highlight of the game, and I think I would've preferred it to be more of a boss rush rather than having the long auto-scroller levels, and keep the autoscroll to the endless mode as sort of a bonus. Worth a go with how cheap it is, won't take up too much of your time.

CC-Thumper.png

THUMPER
6/10

Interesting idea for a game, but unfortunately a game causing me genuine physical pain limits it to a 6 at most. My eyes hurt and my fingers hurt, and my the time I finally beat the last level I was more relieved than anything, and judging by the actual completion rate most people didn't even bother with the final levels, and honestly I don't know why I did.

Removing visual clarity from a rhythm action game is a big no-no, and more often than not you are basically just guessing until you replay a segment enough, and when it's one of the stupidly long segments, it can get very miserable.

Those early levels are great though, really gets you in to that "rhythm game flow state". Endgame ruins it.

CC-Gorogoa.png

GOROGOA
7/10

Nice puzzler with a lot of focus on it's art, which is indeed excellent. I've seen gimmicks similar to this before, but Gorogoa does some fun things with the formula with some interesting puzzles involving multiple tiles all working together. It is a short one, but I think the game would probably get stale if it kept going, so I think being short but sweet is better for it.

Puzzles aren't super complicated and there's only 1 or 2 that tripped me up a bit, but it keeps the vibe of the game relaxed and it was a nice chill experience for the weekend. Available on the cheap quite often too, if you are into puzzles and good art you will likely enjoy this.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
26 | The House in Fata Morgana: Reincarnation + Stories
NSW | May 27 | 20 h | 5/5
oM6VjQg.jpg

This was the DLC chapter I was craving for Fata Morgana. Instead of the previous prequel, it is a continuation of the story. I don't want to spoil anything; just know, it's so, so good. I cried twice. This game is going to stay with me for years. Hands down, the best VN I have ever experienced. It is very dark and depressing; however, the ending made it all worth it.

The first ten hours was Reincarnation. The other ten was reading the side stories. There are extra backstory scenes for different characters, including some minor. Most do not have new illustrations to go with the text. There were a couple chapters I have read that weren't on the main menu. I found them through chapter selection. Those were very worth reading! Fantastic game.

27 | LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
PS5 | May 28 | 76 h | 3/5
1GD94FM.jpg

It was fun to play with Lobotomaxx. We played co-op through all story missions and gathered all collections for achievements. It's goofy, the jokes were funny. The environments are beautifully done with the LEGO characters. You can play through all nine movies and join space battles.

The negative part mainly ties to the insane amount of game breaking bugs. I understand games will have bugs, especially newer ones. But this was a mess; it was not ready to be released. I don't mean silly graphical/audio bugs. Bugs that caused us to close the game many times and wait for a huge patch. Bugs that: stuck you in place, exploded your ship over and over and over, challenges not counting, and a certain droid bricking an entire town.

I had some issues with the gameplay but that was nothing compared to the bugs. I'm just glad it's finally over.

28 | Bardbarian
Steam Deck | June 3 | 15 h | 4/5
i730AoL.jpg

My first game finished on the Steam Deck. I have no memory of receiving Bardbarian but it was verified on the Deck. It played really well.

It's a tower defense, but you are able to move around to avoid bullets. You don't directly attack; instead, you build a team and buff them as a bard. There's normal and insane difficulty plus two extra modes for rewards. It's fast paced and easy to learn. You want to earn gold, spend your gold in shop, and then jump back in! It can get repetitive and grindy to unlock everything from the shop.

Main Post

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
OIP.bbYv3Xj4OKUjUrh44GY4yQHaFO

13. Dragon's Crown Pro (PS4/PS5) - April 20hrs - ★★★1/2

I am kind of on a VanillaWare binge this year. And the third game on that list is Dragon's Crown. It follows the fairy tale style of Odin Sphere and is a very enjoyable action RPG with a focus on the action part. It is pretty and the gameplay is very fluid. Story and characters are minimalistic. Though after three games I have to say that VanillaWare's achilles tendon is a certain repetition in their games, with Dragon's Crown suffering from it as well. This is a really good game, but it is also VanillaWare's weakest game I played, lacking a little bit of the charm of the prior two.

R.540b2ff8c331e4c8e73df0037cc69431

14. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous (PC/Steam) - May 125 hrs - ★★★★★

Games like this are why I will never manage to complete this challenge. The second Pathfinder is a behemoth of a CRPG, leading your party through a gigantic adventure through varied environments. It is slicker than its predecessor, although I preferred the main theme of the first game. It really feels like a grand adventure, similar to Kingmaker and grander than all its other peers. The game has some weaknesses and many labyrinthic requirements for stuff like endings, etc. But in the end its triumphes far surpasses its flaws and it holds a place as one of the great RPGs together with Kingmaker. Owlcat really was a godsend for the CRPG genre.

OIP.ftYfZ9oGc0msrzUQgVW0gAHaEK

15. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS5) - June 28 hrs - ★★★★1/2

A fantastic game in the Assassin's Creed mold and the best superhero game since the Arkham trilogy. Loved swinging through the roofs and going through Manhattan. The story is pretty strong and the characters are brilliantly realised. Specially the final boss sequence and the ending are perfectly done. Some parts can become a little repetitive but overall this is a great game with great gameplay, an engaging story and spectacular production values.

Main Post

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
f629ed9325990b10543ab5946c1362fb.jpg

Game 8: Portal 2 (PC) (3 Hours, 24 Minute) (4/5) (June 6th, 2022)
Haven't had the urge to get through a game for 2 months now so I wanted to fire up an old classic to get myself back on track

Portal 2 is one of my all time favourites, it's an expansion in every asset on the original Portal in terms of graphics, story, scope and polish, yet I still don't rate it as highly as Portal 1. In fact a 4/5 is actually an upgrade on the last time I reviewed this while coming at it in a different lens. Portal 2 does exactly what it wants to do, it makes the world of Portal feel real and alive and makes characters engaging and interesting. There is so much detail through the whole experience whether it be little easter eggs found throughout levels or through lines of dialogue that makes characters feel unique, even Chell who doesn't speak in the whole series. Portal 1 was a much more tight and focused project but with a lot happening within Portal 2 they had to make sure everything felt clean and connected and for the most part it does. Splitting the game up into 5 noticeable parts (Returning to aperture, doing tests with Glados again, escaping Glados, escaping the underground and then defeating Wheatley) helps the focus of the original game return on a larger scale. There is so much detail in the areas of this game and the world design is top notch. Whether it's going through old chambers or going to brand new areas like the underground section Portal 2 does a great job of making each area distinct and giving personality to the 5 major sections of the game. For example in the first part you're going through destroyed areas of Aperture and in the final part of the game you're going through these levels which don't work together because they're created by Wheatley, someone who doesn't know how to make proper testing chambers

The fall of Portal 2 is simple, waiting. A lot of the time you're stuck listening to people talk, watching things happen or even worse being stuck in a blue funnel for a long time after you've figured out the puzzle. There is no part of any of the Portal series I despise more than these funnels, which are slow and serve only to extend the games length artificially. In a game with such tight and fast puzzle solving gameplay, having to wait an extra 10-15 seconds for the conclusion of the puzzle feels bad.

That's Portal 2, hoping to hop into some new stuff now whether that's finally getting around to Elden Ring or maybe something older like Super Mario World

Main Post

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #41 - The Solitaire Conspiracy
Time: 3 hours
Rating: ★★★

Unfortunately I didn't like this one as much as most people seem to, as everything outside the actual solitaire gameplay did nothing for me (the cutscenes with Greg Miller and other "internet celebrities" really took me out of it to be honest), and the game is way too short if you just play the campaign, but some a really good art style and great solitaire gameplay still made this a fun, if short, playthrough.

Main Post

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
40: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. End: 6/8/2022. (4 out of 5)

A step above the first game in my mind even though it has some of the same issues. Some decent puzzles and some awkward platforming combined with decent combat sections, come together in a fun action game.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
27. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (X360) | 08 June - 1 hrs | 4/5

Last edited:

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
64e7d277075ff54e8a93a0407bc5318a.jpg

14. Cruis'n Blast (Switch) | 6/3/2022 - 2hrs | 4/5
I decided to pick this up on a DOTD sale since I heard a lot about it during Game of the Year discussions. Glad I did. It was a fun throwback to the old Cruis'n games on n64. I had a lot of fun unlocking upgrades and working through the various locations. Man and that theme song... *FIRE* I had a blast.... ;)

Main Post

Last edited:

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
I am at 15 games now, yay!

I just finished Guardians of the Galaxy.
Pretty good game, but tedious Combat holds it back.
7/10

Last edited:

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I am at 15 games now, yay!

I just finished Guardians of the Galaxy.
Pretty good game, but stellar Combat holds it back.
7/10
Did you mean to say stellar here? Seems a bit out of place, not sure if you meant something else.

Stellar:

exceptionally good; outstanding.
"his restaurant has received stellar ratings in the guides"

FWIW I agree, combat really held that game back for me. Unfortunately it just felt awkward