Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I keep meaning to make a post in this thread. Currently I'm at 12.

1. Sakura Wars PS4 - finally got around to this one. Some of my favorite characters in the franchise but some of the worst gameplay.

2. Gundam Last Shooting Arcade - Picked up a few Gundam boards for my supergun. And one kit I can't use because I don't have the NAMCO system hardware. Fun shooter, used a trackball on this one with some super interesting redesigns from the early 90s.

3. G-Saviour PS2 Super underrated early PS2 game from the more underrated G-Saviour.

4. Spider-Man PS5 - been meaning to play this for YEARS. It was a lot of fun even if it was a little bloated and repetitive.

5. CastleVania Curse of Darkness. PS2. Best 3D Igavania.

6. Halo Infinite. Runs like shit on PC. But it's a lot of fun still.

7. Spider-Man The City that Never Sleeps. PS5. Meaty Spider-Man dlc. More streamlined and I dug it.

8. SD Gundam Neo Battline Arcade. Another Gundam board. Gundam shmup with some interesting Ms choices. Like Cluster Gundam.

9. The Evil Within 2. PC. Great little title I played via gamepass.

10. Final Fantasy 7 Remake. PS5. I liked it but I hope the rest of the game isn't so bloated or it's gonna be like 10 parts.

11. Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intermission. PS5. Awesome little Yuffie diversion. More of this please.

12. Visage. Xbox Series X. Fun horror game. The end game bit was boring getting all the mask pieces and an absolute nothing ending.
13. Dark Picture Man of Medan PS4. Was looking for some fun horror games and I dig supermassive style a lot. This one has a lot of fun choices.

14. Dying Light PS4. Played via PS5 back compat and it was a lot of fun. I don't know why I held off so long for this one.

15. Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection iOS. Really fun picross title for the phone.

16. Deep Fear Saturn. Goofy survival horror game for Saturn from the genre's golden era.

17. Dark Pictures Little Hope PS4. Second Dark Picturs game wasn't as good as the first. The ending kind of was an eye roll.

18. Dark Pictures House of Ashes PC. A much better entry in the franchise but the military inaccuracies pissed me off constantly lol

19. Ghostwire Tokyo Prelude PC. Fun visual novel prequel to the main game. I would actually love to see more games set in this time frame before everything went to shit.

20. Ghostwire Tokyo PC. My game of the year so far. It hooked me in ways Games of this genre never do.

21. Forgive Me Father PC. Fun boomer shooter that falls apart with some bad platforming and bullet sponge bosses at the end.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
25. (replay) Kirby's Adventure 3D Classics (17/4/22) ★★★★

The Kirb train is slowing down for the time being, well until 64 is thrown onto the switch I expect.
But what better way to finish my current sprint of pink puffball than with the definitive version of Adventure? and yes Sillen2000's recent run is what put the thought in my mind.
Not much to say about this really, Adventure is the true basis of the majority of Kirby games that followed, and it still stands as one of the absolute best examples of the formula.
Simplicity is no bad thing, the copy abilities introduced here may lack the movelists of superstar and modern games, but the one thing they tend to do is more than enough, whether it's mobility with iframes via fireball or hi-jump, or a defensive stance like needle or spark.
The NES original suffers from slowdown issues and the GBA remake loses a lot of the visual flair, this 3D Classics version maintains both the NES aesthetics with some extra visual flourishes alongside a stable framerate, glorious!
And the 3D effect is just really nice, I wish there were more sprite based titles on this platform.

26. (replay) Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed (18/4/22) ★★★★

ojcEJ.jpg

I have been chipping away at this replay since I double dipped on that Xbox backwards compatibility back in the January new year sales!
And now, having unlocked all the characters and done all the cups, I'll take this as a completion.

I have LONGED to finally play this at 60fps since my original playthrough was on the PS3, and while the game doesn't scrub up as cleanly as say Sonic Generations via backwards compatibility, it's a welcome upgrade.
Now, I'm torn, because like, to simply play, to control your car, to drift and to trick, this right here is my king of "kart", the quotation marks because it's perhaps more an arcade racer with kart like weapons as opposed to a straight kart racer? semantics I suppose, it's really not much different from your Mario Kart 8, Crash Team racing or Diddy Kong Racing.
When this game is on form, it's a genre highlight, the sense of speed, the drift switching to attain that level 3 boost, the sega fanservice, the dynamic tracks, the risk/reward trick system, the underrated boat transformation , the single player mission mode adding much needed content and variety, this game is almost 5 stars.
It can't be understated how much this game stands up with the best of mascot racing games.

Yet creeping under the surface, the same issue that had me hold back on considering it the GOAT all those years ago is still here, in fact I seemed to suffer a lot more this time around.
And that's polish, holy hell this game is just all over the place at times.
Some of the most wackadoodle physics and collision issues I couldn't hope to ever replicate, this one tiny ramp on burning depths that has like a 50/50 chance of stopping your boat dead in its tracks as if the water level doesn't always raise you high enough to avoid a wall collision detection, I've sailed through the cave mouth ceiling of Adder's Lair as a jump decided to launch me three times higher than usual, invisible wall collisions and you get the point, the game feels like it desperately needed another pass of polishing up.
It might even be worse on this version, my game crashed three times, sometimes in the Nights tracks the visuals don't always load up in time on the final river stretch giving me a nice glimpse of the VOID. And then there's the visuals which are often too blurry and cluttered, clarity is king in a racing game yet sometimes the overload of visual effects, and the game's general distance blur can really battle against the 60fps boost, let alone how some All Star moves just turn the screen into an even bigger mess, why yes I do like to use Reala, I do not like getting All Star though!
And this is all a real shame, because as I said, I think for the most part, this game is absolutely excellent
Tracks like Adder's Lair, Seasonal Shrines, Sky Sanctuary's car lap,the monkey ball temple... lordy this is some good shit.

The CPU/AI is a bit strange, I went through most of the mission mode on the A rank which is the highest difficulty you have until you unlock the final area, and it was fine.
Yet the same CPU difficulty on mirror mode GP is wildly inconsistent, characters like Tails and MeeMee with their non existent speed stat rocket off into the top three and on certain tracks will just feel nigh uncatchable despite my speed n' boost stat power and constant pursuit. If I get into first though the CPU kinda cool off? and then I can break away myself? feels like some races like grafitti city are a mission and a half to beat the tougher CPU, the same opponents job like fools if flight sections are involved though.
On top of all this it the blatant CPU fuckery, their ability to instantly recover from hit items is some shiiiiiit, how often they throw their items back at the player instead of ahead at the 5 racers in front of them, it's just a complete wild card experience.
Fortunately much like the Mario Kart 64 CPU from earlier in this thread, they can go from champ to chump from race to race so you can bounce back from one bad race in a GP.

At the end of the day though I'd recommend this to any racing game fan, sega fan, kart racing fan, yeah you might run into some odd quirks and I do think the visuals have not aged gracefully with all that blur and some kinda hilariously mid character models, one can't knock the amount of love that also went into those visuals and characters, the sheer respect shown to the various sega series, the amount of detail packed into every track.
There's a reason we were all gutted by Team Sonic Racing, which you know, is a decent enough game with the same core gameplay, but golly gosh did Transformed deserve a sequel, and I still hope that Sega commission Sumo with another.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header_alt_assets_3.jpg

Game #31 - Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion
Time: 2.5 hours
Platform: XBOX Series X
Rating: ★★★

Cute little adventure game reminiscent of Zelda games (only at a surface level tho) with some neat art and some actually funny writing. It's very short, and very easy, but again, it's super cute and some of the gameplay and puzzles are pretty decent. It even has a true ending / secret boss, and a small rogue-like mode that opens up at the end, which earns extra goodwill points with me. I quite liked it overall.

Main Post

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
27: Chrono Trigger. End: 4/21/2022. (4.5 out of 5)

A classic JRPG that still holds up in 2022. It isn't a perfect game, but it's still one of the best.

May 10, 2019

Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 - Part 4 - Part 5 - Part 6 - Part 7 - Part 8 (This Post!) - Part 9

April has been ridiculously productive to make up for March's lost time and I got way behind so I'm doing this in one huge post.

5LJm4g.png

27) Mission Massive Migration

2016 by Rombus - (4/4/2022) - PC - 30 minutes - 3 out of 5 stars

Pretty good but very short minivania, you can play it for free on phones! It's probably the preferred method if I'm being honest.

3900titlescreen.png

28) Metroid: Spooky Mission

2018 by Magconst - (4/5/2022) - GBA (via VisualBoyAdvance) - 3 hours - 4.5 out of 5 stars

A briskly paced Metroid: Zero Mission hack with some real smart and fun design - this was done for a Halloween competition and it really works the gimmick well, really fun unique boss fights too!

490efb66c5016fa88d6fcbc4e505a7ef.png

29) Wizards & Warriors III: Kuros...Visions of Power

1991 by Zippo Games/Rare - (4/6/2022) - NES (via Mesen) - 4 hours 15 minutes - 2.5 out of 5 stars

More ambitious than the previous W&W games doing Metroidvania things before MV was even codified, but also kind of a design and accessibility mess - I know I wouldn't be able to beat this without savestates and don't know how many people would have been on release.

scIZlSX.png

30) Tamus Adventure

2013 by Lartar Games/Axolot Studios - (4/6/2022) - Flash (via Flashpoint) - 2 hours 25 minutes - 2.5 out of 5 stars

An almost fun flash plaformer that drags itself out a little too long after it should be done. I could have finished this in just under an hour if the game didn't straight up lie to me about the completion requirements.

8564a76485fc52dae3a88b7126baf106.png

31)Def Jam: Fight For New York

2004 by AKI Corporation/EA Vancouver - (4/9/2022) - Gamecube - 6 hours 40 minutes - 3.5 out of 5 stars

I was thinking so much about trying to handwave some of the problematic aspects in the game to say that "yeah there's gross misogyny and ableism, but there's also a good reverence to hip hop aesthetics that isn't usually seen in games", that I was geniunely caught off-guard by some of the incredibly cheap aspects of fights in story mode (that Sticky Fingaz fight? just awful - same with any match again Chiang). AKI's fighting engine design is solid, even though I wish they would have been able to apply it to an actual wrestling game one more time instead (Ultimate Muscle exists but it's got its own issues).

32) Castlevania Akatsuki no Rhapsody: ikusatatsu's castle

2020 by ikusatatsu_ushiromiya - (4/11/2022) - GBA (via Visual Boy Advance) - 17 hours (Good and Ambiguously Bad Endings) - 1.5 out of 5 stars

An Aria of Sorrow hack that started out interesting and kind of humorous but god, the design went so far into the dumpster fire direction that 2/3 of the way through it became irredeemable without exploiting. Not recommended to anybody for any reason.

11dfe2d3b7074d09049400659a2599ff.png

33) Blaster Master

1988 by Sunsoft - (4/12/2022) - NES (via Mesen) - 3 hours 15 minutes - 4 out of 5 stars

A game I've beaten a few times over the years, and one I'm returning to as part of a series playthrough. The level design and music still holds up really well, even if it felt more linear than before.

90694b5762772fc9373ef1bab7a81246.png

34) Blaster Master 2

1993 by Software Creations - (4/13/2022) - Sega Genesis (via BizHawk) - 5 hours 10 minutes - 2 out of 5 stars

On the other hand, there's this - Even more linear, an uglier version of SOPHIA, and really obnoxious overhead driving sections. The side-scrolling boss fights are okay even if it felt like the devs were almost but not quite committing to the bit of ripping off Turrican. Pretty bad.

2854675c4cd60e1c303659b5b78c89fa.png

35) Blaster Master: Enemy Below

1999 by SUNSOFT - (4/14/2022) - Game Boy Color (via Visual Boy Advence) - 7 hours - 2.5 out of 5 stars

This could have been the return to form, and there's real effort, but it feels like there's too much effort to bloat the original Blaster Master formula. That wouldn't have been so bad, if the character sprites felt too large for the maps and display, and if they hadn't taken way 8-direction movement/shooting from the overhead maps. Almost inexcusable.

2956085-box_bmba.png

36) Blaster Master: Blasting Again

2000 by AlfaSystem/SUNSOFT - (4/18/2022) - Playstation (via Duckstation) - 12 hours 20 minutes - 3.5 out of 5 stars

The first attempt at a real new direction for the series and it almost works! Almost! There's some real cheap aspects to platforming and overhead combat though, and of course there's the voice acting and cutscenes which are so bad they're great. On the plus side, the boss fights were honestly the most fun they've ever been in the series. If SUNSOFT had the time and resources to expand on this, they probably could have made a really good sequel for the PS2/Gamecube, but they abandoned game dev for about a decade.

Blaster_master_overdrive_logo.png

37) Blaster Master: Overdrive

2010 by SUNSOFT - (4/19/2022) - Wii/WiiWare (via Dolphin) - 5 hours 15 minutes - 1.5 out of 5 Stars

Almost forgot this one and with good reason - it's the worst game in the entire series. This was made by people that haven't touched a dev kit in 10 years and it shows - giant hitboxes that clip through platforms, completely broken platorming, awful checkpoint placement, grindy and unfun boss fights - avoid avoid avoid.

header.jpg

38) Boreal Tenebreae Act 1: 'I Stand Before You A Form Undone'

2020 by Snot Bubbles Productions - (4/20/2022) - PC - 2 hours 25 minutes - 3 out of 5 stars

A game that I said was the best broken (unfinishable) game I played in 2020 - well since updates to the engine and reworkings of mechanics, I was able to finish it. And it's still pretty good, but I felt honestly deflated when I did finish it and it just cut to a "TO BE CONTINUED..." screen with no hint of anything to come. Hopefully more is coming for this project to put hanging threads in better context.

header.jpg

39) Tetris Effect: Connected

2019 by Monstars/Resonair/Stage Games/Enhance - (4/21/2022) - PC - 2 hours 30 minutes (Journey Mode/Beginner) - 5 out of 5 Stars

My second run through this and it's just as thrilling as it was the first time, even if I'm mediocre in advanced technique at Tetris and probably always will be.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
28: Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion. End: 4/22/2022. (2.5 out of 5)

A game that seems to run on memes more than anything, which can be fun, but can also be pretty terrible. It's not particularly deep or anything, but it has its moments.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
6 - Elden Ring - PS5 - 190hrs / 23rd April - 10/10
Well it's been a massive gap between completing my 5th and 6th, I did play Cyberpunk in between but didn't complete it before Elden Ring arrived and I dropped everything to start that game… and what a game. Elden Ring has consumed my life since it came out. It's easily one of my favourite experiences ever and after 190hrs for my first playthrough, I'm already itching for a second playthrough so I can try different builds. Amazing game.

Next: Finish Cyberpunk and then onto Horizon Forbidden West but I might try a shorter game in between as a palette cleanser.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
27. (replay) Mario Golf 64 (22/4/22) ★★★★

Few games can invoke such nostalgia in me like MG64, this was one of the multiplayer classics of my childhood believe it or not, forget tennis, it was all about hitting the links, Toad Highlands and Koopa Park on repeat, everyone playing as Yoshi, good times. To think it's been so very long since I last actually played it, this was one of the N64 games I was wanting to play most when Nintendo finally pulled their finger out (and made me pull more money out than I should've but oh well)

Upon loading up the game from switch's N64 app, I was not greeted by a nostalgic tune, but by some kind of strange alien American variant of the game's opening music, these strange Americanisms of the NTSC Mario Golf continued with the game's putting measurement being different as well as the wind I believe.
As such I spent my first tournament wrapping my head around these new numbers, as what is a golf game really but 75% maths? eventually I stopped sucking and life was good again, also the game runs better so the tradeoff is worth it.

MG64 is wonderfully off, which is to say it's mario themed but not in the modern day "mario shadow council" style of uniformity. You've got this unusual blend of the Mario world and standard cartoon golf stuff ala everybody's/ hot shots golf. Like you go into the character select and are greeted by a piddly four options, the only mario is a baby and two of the characters are PLUM and CHARLIE, who the eff is Charlie?! Most of the Mario Kart 64 crew is here, except Toad is stuck on out of bounds flag waving duty, the other characters are just golfing humans, like the somewhat ditzy Maple, the serious Harry and the absoluter goober Sonny.

I was surprised that the credits rolled after beating the fifth cup, seeing that there's still one more course and all, but perhaps that's because Mario'S Star is bloody awful and almost costs the game an entire star (the irony!) with its gimmicky visual design completely impacting having an enjoyable round of Golf.
First four courses though? stellar stuff, when you hit Boo Valley as the fifth course, things start getting a bit much with the vast swathes of out of bounds pits but as the last proper course since we're not acknowledging Mario's Star, I'll allow it. In any case I didn't resort to save scumming (the classic save and reload hole tactic is built right into the OG game) until Boo Valley which I was oddly proud of.

The music man, gawd, the music! Motoi Sakuraba is basically doing Golden Sun before Golden Sun on occasion here, the shy guy open and Boo Classic themes are like some JRPG overworld shit. Toad Highlands in either standard or tournament form is glorious to my ears, even the main menu music is a bop, future camelot sports games have OSTs that are a bit more sporty and it's fiiiine, but this is still my mario sports gold standard soundtrack.

The reality of the gameplay of course is that all the sequels play better, not that 64 plays poorly, it holds up very well, but there's no denying the unusual physics at points, the somewhat unreliable information that scuppers your shots and the poor visualisation of sideways slopes that can make some greens a nightmare for putting. I certainly now understand Toadstool Tour changing the rotating boo model for wind direction to an illustration because clarity is key, 64 doesn't always have that!
Still an N64 classic in my eyes though, though once I got fifty birdie badges, beat all the cups and unlocked as far as Sonny, I just input the all characters cheat because the grind is real.

28. Demon Turf: Neon Splash (25/4/22) ★★★

Interestingly, this here is standalone DLC content following up last years collectathon 3D platformer Demon Turf, interesting in the sense that I only ever played a demo of the foundation game, so while an odd place to jump in, the price was very, VERY much right at around a fiver on release.
In the off chance that anyone has played the 99p budget platformer Toree 1 or 2, Demon's Turf actually reminds me of that general bitesize stage selection setup, only with much stronger mechanics and level design.

The aim here was to distill the platforming gameplay of demon's turf into linear stages, you could say it's like going from SM64 to SM3D Land taster edition, out is the wonky combat I recall from the demo, out are the hubs, just pure platforming to be had here.
Despite the lead character being some kind of 2D illustration in a 3D world, the game is in fact incredibly tight to control, and the host of movement options in your toolbox is vast, I imagine it reflects the endgame version of Beebz from the original game.
Thus it took me a while to get acquainted with the controls and options available to me, when I did though, the game flowed incredibly smoothly.

I wrapped up all the stages, the collectables and the harder remix stages, though I didn't get all the gold time attack trophies that unlock SOMETHING, interestingly though said time attack isn't so strict to gate you off from gold if you can't speedrun a storm, I can see myself going back to get all the golds as I have a few.

Two things I think work against this title, first the visuals are, to be quite blunt, ugly as fuck, even putting aside any feelings on the artstyle on the characters (it's fine but nothing I'd shout about), the environments and hazards are just garish, it's like an unappealing take on low poly vaporwave or something. The game offers a photo mode and I'm like "but why? why would I ever?".
The other issue is that the game is somehow too generous with your moves, which is to say you have a jump, double jump, triple jump, air spin and then even an air dash, and this means that while the game is tight to control, it often undermines its own challenges with the sheer ease at blazing past it. Meanwhile the rollout tire move is rather finicky in a way that isn't quite satisfying to master and it's not too surprising that the game starts leaning on that for the remix stages challenge.
Basically the player is kinda overtuned, it's enjoyable but there's something to be said for some commitment, especially when Super Mario 64 is a clear inspiration here.

On the whole though, yeah 5 quid to get a solid batch of 3D platforming challenges and it's done the job of putting the original Demon Turf back on my radar so a job well done.

29. Grapple Dog (25/4/22) ★★★★

Good enough that I had to make this thread trying to sell people on this game!
Short version, a fundamentally satisfying platformer that hits a personal challenge sweet spot and nails its core grapple mechanics, a few spotty moments don't take away from how successful an endeavour this is, no doubt this will be among the most overlooked games of 2022, but that's probably just me and my platformer bias talking.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

Neotheworld.jpg

14. NEO: The World Ends With You
A sequel I never expected to get. It's maybe not as good as the original (certainly not as innovative or mind-blowing as it was for me) but there's a lot to love in this. Combat is a lot easier than the split screen, twin-stick style of the DS version of the original I played. I really liked all the characters and the music was banging. The camera during battles, especially in the latter half of the game wasn't great; it would often slim out of control and make it difficult to see what was going on. That's not good when battles get as chaotic as they do in NEO. The endgame also lasts 10 hours and is extremely drawn out, which is a thing I hate in games. The actual ending was good, a nice conclusion to these characters and story. Good thing too, because I don't plan on playing the post game stuff, the whole endgame was exhausting.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
YyuCmVU.png

9. Immortals Fenyx Rising - 6/10

Another classic Ubisoft open world formula: a map filled to the brim with activities to undertake, loosely guided by an overarching narrative. The major difference is the focus on (mostly) easy puzzles, which was a nice change of pace from the usual open world game. While I still had a good time with this game, it does suffer from too much repetition. Also the combat is fairly simple, even on Nightmare difficulty the amount of depth it offers is limited. The story and writing is hit and miss, there are a few genuinely nice moments but it is mostly poor jokes and humour that doesn't quite land well.

1. The Forgotten City (XSX) | 3rd Jan - 8 hrs | 8
2. Psychonauts 2 (XSX) | 8th Jan - 15 hrs | 7
3. The Gunk (XSX) | 9th Jan - 5 hrs | 6
4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XSX) | 13th Jan - 8 hrs | 8
5. Expeditions: Rome (PC) | 29th Jan - 70 hrs | 8
6. Dying Light 2 (PC) | 17th Feb - 60 hrs | 8
7. Death's Door (XSX) | 30th Mar - 10 hrs | 7
8. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PS5) | 10th April - 30 hrs | 3
9. Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS5) | 27th April - 40 hrs | 6

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Main Post

header.jpg

15. Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth: Book 1
Went into this completely blind and I'm absolutely loving this story so far. Less point and click and more a visual novel, set in 1138 England we follow the story of Phillip of Gwynedd and Jack Jackson. I presume Aliena becomes our third character in the later books but she doesn't do much here. Jack is alright to follow around but Phillip was the real star. I loved playing as this unassuming monk just wanting to make things better but accidentally making it much, much worse. I didn't think I'd be interested in a story about building a cathedral but this is utterly engaging so far.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
3V23UDp.png

11. Z-Warp (2022, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Perfectly fine little shoot 'em up. Crunchy pixel art depicts various intestines and organs you fly through, and it has a catchy soundtrack to boot. The chief gameplay quirk revolves around bomb management: their supply is endless, but it takes time to deploy them. Saving them for precise moments will make or break your runs. Biggest downside: it uses a single button for 2 modes of fire (tapping = wide spreadshot, holding = slower beam). I don't understand why this couldn't be spread across 2 buttons. I'm never not firing in shoot 'em ups, so constantly tapping for spread fire is a recipe for a Repetitive Strain Injury. The game's apparently only on Xbox, PlayStation, and Switch, so it doesn't seem like a hold-over from a Mobile port either.

4o8tMqS.png

12. Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (2001, Wii U - GBA VC) ★☆☆☆☆
The fourth Klonoa game is another puzzle-platformer, and iterates on the earlier WonderSwan release Klonoa: Moonlight Museum. New in this one are full colour visuals, hoverboarding, and some (very basic) boss fights. Most levels are slow paced, but loop in on themselves in satisfying ways. Less satisfying loops are found in the music: every world has just a single track looping endlessly, which gets annoying fast. Another annoying aspect is how you can lock yourself into inescapable situations quite easily by messing up a puzzle, which the game inelegantly solves by letting you freely reset every room in the game. With a deeply uninteresting Saturday morning cartoon story, this is one of those games which already feels forgettable while you're playing it.

1knA3cb.png

13. Barrage Fantasia (2021, Switch) ★★★★★
Delightful little vertical shoot 'em up. Chunky pixels depict a fantasy setting where a magician and their animal familiar blast their way through dense bullet patterns. Levels are slightly longer than you'd expect, feature multiple bosses, and are broken into distinct (branching!) sections. The various familiars offer different play styles, there are some creative bosses (love the ghost train with piggies poking their noses out to throw bombs at you), a graze mechanic, and it has a robust training mode too. Wild how fully featured this is, despite its modest scope. It may not be very innovative, but it executes on its ambitions almost flawlessly.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #32 - Hollow Knight
Time: 31 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: ★★★★★

Replay of this all time classic, and it's just as good as I remember it. Switch port is absolutely flawless, looking and running beautifully on the Switch's screen, and the game itself is by now known to all as one of the best "metroidvanias" ever made (in fact, it is THE best in my opinion). I had only played the vanilla version previously, and I have to admit that the DLC didn't do much for me (nor did I complete it), it veered too much into the brutally difficulty of the game, and I guess I'm just not that into that aspect of games anymore (thank god for spirit summons and various other new accessibility options in Elden Ring), but the game itself is still amazing and well worth the replay. Now, about that Silksong...

Main Post

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
7 - Life Is Strange: True Colors - 8hrs - Platinum / 29th April - 7/10
I loved the characters in this game and Alex Chen is a fantastic protagonist. I just wish there was more to the story and mor compelling side stories to sink your teeth into. They're no real equivalent to the massive domino effect of choices experienced in the first life is strange. Shame as the character writing is wonderful in this game.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
2 - Elden Ring

My second completed game of the year and it was a good un. 100% achievements as well. I'm sure there's a million takes in this thread and I don't have anything new to say other than I liked that at the end of the game it was less open world. I had had my fill of exploration by the time the game was wrapping up, so I appreciated the linearity.

Fire giant to haligtree to finishing was a great bow.

Also I finally got to buy my steam deck, so I should be able to get more game finishes in now lol.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
15 | Parkasaurus
PC | April 10 | 45 h | 4.5/5
QnWEhxA.png

Adorable version of Jurassic Park. It satisfactorily scratched the simulation itch.

The campaign levels were a nice balance of challenge and how to play. After I finished the 14 campaign levels, I went for the challenge mode.
That was more difficult than I imagined, but I'm glad it wasn't too simple. It allowed me to start my zoo from scratch. I do think toward the end when you unlock everything and you're waiting for the achievement to pop, it's a drag. But at that point, I was personally getting burned out.

I enjoyed the two "skill" trees for unlocking content. From dino toys to food court perks, it keeps you motivated to play. You can spend your science points and hearts to unlock dinosaurs! But you can't buy the dinosaurs, you have to earn them by playing a mini digging game. I liked the mini game. It broke up the main bustle of watching the zoo. If you don't enjoy it, there is an option to auto dig.

There's HATS. You can buy or earn hats for your dinos to wear. They serve a purpose since each hat has stats and can boost your zoo's reputation. The game's art style is simple polygon shapes and bright colors but I loved that. It was fun to build and watch my dinosaurs play with toys. I only wish the zoo guests would be smart enough to explore the backend of the zoo instead of me relying on an info booth.

Main Post

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
16 | Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion
PC | April 12 | 4.5 h | 4/5
OAtsazh.png

Really fun game that's a short 2-3 hours. Until I got to the DLC, but more about that later.

The bright colors are fun and contrast to what you experience in story. The music is awesome! I loved going back to a certain area for its track. I didn't even mind the back and forth quests because I loved the soundtrack that much.

Since it's short, you don't have a map or quest log. You need to remember who wanted what and to visit them if you care about achievements. The game was a perfect length. You do not need to add content just to pad a game. It wrapped up nicely and didn't overstay its welcome.

The DLC however, said no. The game was perfect without it. But it took rouge-like game mechanics and RNG to the max. Neither which I enjoy. There's a reason why I don't usually pick up those games. It was the complete opposite of what I enjoyed in the main game. Downright frustrating.

Main Post

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
17 | Call of Cthulhu
PC | April 16 | 14.5 h | 3/5
ij6nuwb.png

Let me start off my review with the fact that I am not that familiar with Lovecraft's work. I'm aware of his horror themes and the existential dread. But I could not describe one full story of his work. I can't say how accurate or inspired this game is from his stories. I'm viewing this as another horror game.

There are fun gameplay aspects and things the game did right. Most of the environment locations has great atmosphere. Foggy, wet island with a mystery. Eerie buildings that make you feel you're being followed. They did a great job with audio. As you play, you earn character points you can place in four attributes. Two are focused on gameplay, while the other two help with dialogue. Leveling the dialogue options gives you more options to question NCPs. It makes the investigation part unique, almost RPG-like. The final two attributes can only be leveled by reading books and observing objects in the world. It encourages you to explore and find content. You also have a sanity meter that makes a difference in your playthrough.

This game starts off VERY strong and the final level feels powerful. There are four different endings and the studio did a great job with the cinematics. The middle suffers the most. I'm not sure if that happened because one studio was working on this project and then handed it to another. There were dumb horror tropes and odd sequences that had no place in the game. Perhaps the team was running low on time? But the strange transitions were off-putting. The story becomes nonsensical. I have played this twice and still had to wrap my head around the f*ckary that was happening.

I understand Lovecraft's style of dread and questioning your own sanity. Sadly, I don't feel it worked here. Though I'm certain that would be a difficult job.

Last complaint: the monster. When you first meet them, wow! Great job being scary...and then they keep using it. Three different times! Surely Lovecraft had more creatures? It becomes "ah, spooky!" to "get the f*ck outta my way!" in a hurry. Every time I saw them in game, I mentally spit in their direction. Screw that thing for being a nuisance. Please stop putting insta kills in horror games. It quickly desensitizes the player to your monster. When I died and just spawned back in the game, there's nothing to fear. Only eye strain from the rolling.

Main Post

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
18 | Mafia DE
PC | April 27 | 29.5 h | 3/5
w5hCuJR.png

I'm glad that I see players in the Discord that have enjoyed this monthly game. I am just a sassy individual so I hope I don't dampen on anyone's fun. I'm not a professional reviewer so pay my sass little mind. I gave this 3 stars and that's VERY generous lol.

I have never played and most likely will never play Mafia Classic. I believe I got the Definitive Edition in a bundle so I figured why not try it.

The atmosphere and world building is amazing! The detail of signage, clothing, car models, etc. The world feels alive and very much in the era. They did a fantastic job with the beaches, cityscape, and farms. The cinematics are well done and blended (almost) seamlessly into the gameplay.

That's about as far as I can go for outstanding work. The voice acting was alright; Fair for most of the characters. The story was ordinary and generic. That could be the fact that this originally came out in 2002. I know the story was updated a touch in DE but I imagine the core is the same? I was hoping to see some sick Mafia dealings but any time you get close, the screen changes or something is in the view.

For me, it's the gameplay that suffers the most. The GAMEPLAY. Drive, shoot, and then stealth. Rinse and repeat. It's the same objective every mission. It's repetitive and frankly, boring. The story you can see a mile away thanks to the storytelling. So why bore you further with the same missions mechanics.

And then to really dig in the hurt. Why does that race mission exist? Why make a game focused on the Mafia to have the most memorable (or in this case, infamous) mission be a race? I do not understand where that logic sits. I finally got it after four hours on classic difficulty because of the absolute clownery of driving in this game. I was driving for so long I almost forgot I was playing as a dude in the MAFIA. Burn it all down.

19 | TOEM
PC | April 29 | 5.5 h | 5/5
oVl7aLE.png

Artistic black and white photography adventure game. Yes, another game that focuses on snapping pictures. I hope developers don't stop making these cute photographer games.

This one stood out with the monochromatic art style. It works very well in this silly, imaginative world. You can spin your perspective of the map but some views may be blocked off. Cue your handy camera! You can look far away with your tripod and view hidden areas that you couldn't spot before. It's simple but done very well. It's fun and satisfying to find hidden scenes.

Don't play this one with a guide. Explore and enjoy yourself first. It's so rewarding. My *only* very minor complaint: walking up stairs with WASD can be a bit wonky with pathing; but you can mouse click if necessary.

Main Post

Last edited:

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

March update: 11/52

Just remembered I had a march update to write so, uh, let's just get into things before April's over.

6ZudnKY.jpg

9. March 20th | Pokémon HeartGold | Nintendo DS | 38h 45m | ☆☆☆(/5)
Legends: Arceus was a mostly great experience that devoured my February, but for all the good it did it also made me curious how playing a more traditional Pokémon game would feel afterwards, and so here we are with Pokémon HeartGold. Could have been any Pokémon that I hadn't played really (B/W 1 & 2, The D/P remakes or X/Y), but I love the original gen 2 games and have been wanting to play the remake for a long time anyway while also suddenly having a bit more money than usual meaning I could in good conscience spend way too much money on a 13 year old video game.

And, like, it's a very good remake of an already very good game. Johto certainly has its issues with a pretty severe level spike when going from the final gym leader to the elite four, hiding so many of the new Pokémon in the post game and an incredibly underbaked Team Rocket plot, but most of it is still almost just as fun as the first time I played the Game Boy games. Like, I really like this region. I love the varied cities, the gym leaders, the legendary Pokémon and the absolutely insane rival who steals a Pokémon just to show this complete stranger of a kid that you're playing at that he's actually a much better trainer than you. A lot of it is probably nostalgia and just being soaked in those warm memories that are here recreated with a fresh coat of paint, therefore making it feel just a bit more like I'm playing it for the first time, but a lot of it is also just simply because Pokémon HeartGold is one very good game. Most of it goes along at a pretty steady pace, the pokégear is a fun gimmick (there are honestly a lot of weird, fun gimmicks that I think only showed up in this game? Like Kurt making special Pokeballs from acorns or the daily bug catching contest) and Johto as a region is varied enough with enough forks in the road that despite the game still being extremely linear for the most part, there are still alternate routes to take to get to your goal which does make traversing across the routes a bit more fun. It is a bit annoying to go back to having to use HMs again since most of the moves are absolutely terrible and a lot of them especially in Gen 2 feel like they are used in about two spot in the entire game, but it's not too big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

The game looks absolutely beautiful too. I'm a big supporter of the the orignal games looked and in some ways I prefer that one's deep, dark colors with the 8-but graphics, but this one really is a looker in way that makes me appreciate the environments a lot since Gamefreak really did a great job with making different parts of Johto feel distinct. The Pokémon sprites also look absolutely incredible (though Feraligtr's back sprite does make him look a bit unhinged) to the degree that I, someone who rarely thinks at all about a game's pixel art, just had to marvel at some of them. Having the first Pokémon in your party follow behind you is nice touch too. It's not really a big deal or something that I'm upset over future games not replicating (outside of Let's Go Pikachu, I think?) it, but I guess it does sort of make you care more about your Pokémon when you can speak to the and find out that they feel unsafe in a Pokémon Center or something.

Now, while this is a very good game I still think it has some very noticeable issues that makes me hesitant to put it above the original. Not doing a better job with the endgame's level balancing is pretty poor considering this is their second shot at it, and while it's cool that a new character was added as a nicer alternative to the rival, they only really play a role for about the first third of the game until just completely disappearing, making them at times feel more like an afterthought the developers forgot to cut every cutscene with rather than someone who was actually supposed to appear in the final game. Not a huge fan of the rearranged soundtrack either. Most if it is fine, but it's all a very noticeable downgrade from the original, probably because it was originally orchestrated with the Game boy's sound chip in mind and not something with a bit more realistic sounding instruments. It's not bad, but "not bad" is pretty terrible considering Gen 2 has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

I complain because I love and my complaints really aren't all that big in the grand scheme of things, but they are there and are very hard to ignore simply because the rest of the game is so good. I'm not going to write some paragraph about Pokémon is played since everyone already knows, but it feels as good as ever here and some rebalancing of types , the friendship mechanic and a wider move pool in gen 4 does make a lot of this play a lot better than the original games. I probably prefer those for nostalgic reasons, but this one does play better and you can really feel how the different mechanics have been improved upon between 1999 and 2009. Some surprisingly difficult fights here and there, too!

Haven't done the postgame in Kanto yet, by the way. Me and a friend played the game concurrently so I'm waiting for him to beat the Pokémon League before I continue on with the journey. I've heard it's been expanded from the original game's extremely depressing Kanto so I'm looking forward to experiencing it myself in a near future!

Oh, should probably mention what Pokémon I used as well. My party when I beat the Champion consisted of Feraligatr, Xatu, Slowbro, Arcanine, Donphan and Bellossom.

Soundtrack highlight:
Gym Leader Battle

97wEWkY.jpg

10. March 20th | Yakuza 6: The Song of Life | Playstation 4 | 26h 25m | Replay | ☆☆☆
The Yakuza trains keeps steaming on ahead! First played Yakuza 6 in 2018 as my third game in the series (after 0 and Kiwami) and I really liked it at the time. Now that I've played Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5 and Judgment as well, I... still like it quite a lot!

There has come a point now where I sort of feel like I could just copy and paste the exact same thing on every Yakuza game because they're really not that different. Men have big emotions, someone takes a bullet for someone else after ignoring a downed villain with a gun, a big fight takes place on high altitude, Karaoke is great, mini games are fun, "let me tell you about this cool sub-story", and so on. Yakuza 6 isn't all that different as to warrant some huge write-up, but it does differentiate itself a bit by feeling like all the retreads are more intentional than the developers having about a week to write the script before the start developing the next one and therefore pulling from the same bag of tricks each time (and I say this as someone who likes most of the Yakuza stories!). You really feel the journey Kiryu has had since the first game, going from being a force driven by some kind of sadness and grief to now being driven by protecting the ones he loves, and replicating a lot of moments from the previous games with this "grown-up" Kiryu does a great job of showing that while also making you remember all the good times you've had with these games. The story as a whole does have its issues and has twists within twists within twists that are more stupid than impressive, but these, like, intertextual moments where you suddenly see every Yakuza within this one Yakuza game is such genius writing that I'm just left really impressed by what was achieved here. Not only is it very clear fan service with all these callbacks, but they also serve such nice thematic purpose. Even outside of this I feel like Yakuza 6 has by far the best character writing in the series, with so many great, layered and lovable characters introduced here that I almost wish there could be a Hiroshima spin off just to spend more time with them. One scene in particular near the end between Kiryu and Haruka also has to be one of the most touching moments in the entire series, with the writers also somehow understanding show, don't tell is actually a good thing sometimes (again - I love these games and their stories!). I guess I'm telling rather than show here, but I really love this story. It still has that sort of trashy soap opera feel to it that all the other games do, but it sort of combines it with a really nice character drama and the results aren't the best video game story ever, but one that certainly hits pretty hard and with so many great moments. Still haven't played Like a Dragon, but it's probably my favorite story in the series as of now. It's at least tied with 0. If it hadn't been for a pretty terrible epilogue it'd probably be the absolute best, but it is what it is.

Want to know where Yakuza 6 isn't close to the same level as 0? The gameplay, sadly. I like how much weight every attack is given in the Dragon Engine games and how it removes basically every loading screen (and it also makes the games very pretty), but it's clear that RGG Studio must have had some issues working with it in this first outing since the game really doesn't run all that well and the combt is... it's bad. It sort of feels like going back to Yakuza 3, but with Kiryu being a lot stiffer and losing all combo momentum whenever an enemy blocks an attack (and at least on hard, they sure are good at blocking). If you grab a bike or any big object, every single fight is a cake walk, but when just fist fighting against several enemies it can be a real slog. The bosses can also damage you like crazy with a single attack, even if you've leveled up your defense to 200 and since almost everyone dodges your heavy attacks the main tactic to defeating them is a slow square, square, square, wait for a new opening, square, square, square. It's not like the Yakuza games have the best action gameplay of all time, but it usually at least feels a lot better than in Y6.

The side activities are fun as always. They took away billiards so I'd say the collection as a whole is actually better than in previous game, but it's pretty much the same as in the other games other than a fun but very simple underwater rail shooter and the fairly mediocre but inoffensive clan creator. The karaoke combo of Today is a Diamond and Tonight has to be noted as being extremely top tier, though. Some real good side stories as well, with a good mix of throwbacks to previous games and some real fun standalone ones, like a super fun homage to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

So uhhhhhhhhhhh Yakuza 6 is great. Doesn't play great, but the story and characters are good enough to carry the experience. (Soundtrack's amazing too!)

Soundtrack highlight:

HrGGkES.jpg

11. March 20th | Ratchet & Clank | Playstation 3 | 9h 57m | Replay | ☆☆☆½
Yet another replay. This time of what I think might be the first game I ever bought. Not the Playstation 3 version obviously, I'm not a toddler, but as far as I can remember the first game I bought with my own money was a used copy of Ratchet & Clank so a lot of nostalgia here. Haven't played it since I platinumed the PS3 version in 2015, though, so it's been a while since I last touched it. Doesn't really matter though since I've beaten it enough times as a kid that I basically remember everything in it and even where most of the gold bolts are. I even beat the final boss without dying a single time, which should be a clear sign to everyone that I'm actually a pro gamer and someone to fear.

Going back and playing Ratchet & Clank is always a curious experience because while it does look like future games in a lot of ways, it really doesn't play or feel like them. When you think of the series today, it's as fast paced action-platformers with some light RPG elements with leveling the weapons, but the first game really is more platformer than action, with Ratchet feeling a lot heavier, combat feeling much clunkier and slow (on later stages it's even preferable to snipe enemies from a distance instead of facing them head-on). I wouldn't blame anyone for playing the beginning planets of this game and just deciding that "no more, life can be better than this", but at least to me personally when the game finally clicks after a while it actually becomes a lot of fun. Not some sort of INCREDIBLE FUN, but fun! Most of the weapons could certainly be better, the auto aim as well and the lack of good strafing is sorely missed at times (the thruster-pack enables a kind of strafing, but it's... awful), but when the game really focuses on the platforming and light puzzle solving, you can really see Insomniac using what they learned from the Spyro games to create a creative and well designed (outside of the stealth mission in the endgame) platformer with good level variety and a surprising amount of freedom in which order you want to tackle different missions in and extremely light Metroidvania elements where you can access new paths with equipment acquired on later planets and thanks to the relatively small scale of the stages, this sort of backtracking never really gets old. Having to grind for bolts to buy the next weapon does get sort of old, though, especially when so many of the weapons are so forgettable and you'll mainly use nothing but the Tesla Claw, Agents of Doom, Devastator and Visibomb Gun by the end, but I guess you could say it makes actually being able to finally buy the weapons more satisfying? I wouldn't really say that, but I won't stop you from saying it either.

Have to say though, that I do not get the love for the writing in this game? I remember when the 2016 remake came out and so many though it lacked all that edge and fun factor of the original game came out, but, like, this is edgy 2002 humor for a 12 year old with some extremely shallow satire sprinkled in with Drek and his whole scheme. I'm not saying the remake has better writing or anything like that, just that this really didn't strike me as noticeably better. Maybe more high energy, but not really better. In the plot itself things sort of just happen. Ratchet & Clank happen to find an Infobot and it points them somewhere until they somehow reach the end of the game and Ratchet learns that he shouldn't behave like the universe's biggest dick and Clank... well, Clank's mainly just there.

Not sure what else I have to say, really. It's a pretty basic, but fun game with nice art direction and a really funky soundtrack that doesn't really stick, but is great when you're actually playing the game. Future games would improve upon a lot of things, but there's still something special about this one that makes it fun to revisit. The higher difficulty? The walloper? the bigger focus on platforming? Not sure. Probably all those things. Either way Ratchet & Clank does still hold up in 2022, despite some roughness with getting used to physics and the like in the beginning parts.

I sometimes think about that lizard-like salesman with his "hey there, fuzzball" every time you open the shop and wonder a little about whatever happened to him after this game.

Soundtrack Highlight:
Oltanis Orbit - Gemlik Base

Currently Playing:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Trials and Tribulations (Nintendo 3DS)
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Final Fantasy II (PC)
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3)

Last edited:

DoABarrelRoll

Apr 15, 2022
Im played Yakuza 6 and some retro games.
Today a beat The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse and Super Mario World for SNES.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
30. Guardians of the Galaxy (30/4/22) ★★★

5HcGsR5.png

Took me a while to get through this one, the first impressions were not great and I dropped it four chapters in, before picking it back up a month later.
This is very much a game in the AAA Sony cinematic mould, which isn't entirely my jam but I can tackle a few each year because sometimes you just like seeing how much money can be poured into a game, which is effectively me saying "wow, this looks pretty"
I'm genuinely kinda shocked that this title is close to Naughty Dog's level of cinematic prowess, complete with strong voice over performances. The plot is fairly standard fare with the strong character interactions doing a lot of work.
Now like many I expect, my experience of the Guardians is entirely through the MCU and the first impression is that the characters are very much great value counterparts of their big screen versions, some I feel are better (Gamora) some feel about the same (Rocket, Drax), on the whole I don't think any one comes out feeling worse and thus over time that discount MCU vibe sorta dissipates as the characters and story stand well on their own, though for all I know both of my GotG experiences might be close to the comics...or miles away, who knows? (The comics thread, the comics thread knows surely)

One thing that was irking me all game long though, Starlord's voice over, and not because it's bad or anything, but in ultra specific niche issue, the cadence of Quill's overall delivery just kept sounding to me like I was listening to a promo from WWE wrestler the Miz.
I also think the game makes Rocket a little too obnoxious for too long, maybe me having Drax yeet him over a chasm put the dialogue into extra grouch mode overdrive (I'd be impressed if the player choices were that far reaching!).
As for player choice, it's neat, though without seeing the alternatives (note to self: go look this up after this post) it's hard to tell if much difference in the game or cutscenes actually occurs and this all ends up being a bit Telltale, minus the betrayed expectations of course.

Now, the seemingly weak link of this package is the gameplay, sorta. At first, it is kinda pants, boring enemies, lacklustre dual wielding pew pew as Starlord while alternating limited cooldown options on the characters you wish you could play as. The combat takes a long time to open up, when it does it becomes...decent, that's about it, never great, just well rounded enough while allowing me to sneak into the menu and reduce the sponginess of enemies halfway through.
Issue is mainly that the game just keeps going, it overloads on combat by the end, and I'd reached the point where the game had just given up on the EXP system like 4 chapters prior after topping out all the character skills which just seemed unusual.
Elsewhere the gameplay is full on, 100% middling AAA industry tropes.
Slow walk! Dead ends for trinkets! Balancing! Shimmying!, Crevice creeping! Crouching! lightest of light puzzling! fake cinematic threat!
And sliding...
When did sliding become a recurring thing? the answer I believe is uncharted 4, and while I don't mind sliding...just why is Gamora it a thing? when did all the AAA devs get together and go "you know what we need? very hard to justify sliding segments that only serve to remind you SM64 did this better in 96", I guess it's an easier to reuse dynamic set piece or something.

In the end, this game started as a 2 star but made its way to a 3 bordering on 4 stars, the devs here really had a bad hand dealt by the tangibly related Avengers game poisoning the well (ironically that one has combat gameplay I quite liked but then the rest of the package....oh no) but this is certainly no half hearted cash in, this title really gives off the vibe of having a love for the source material comics, so in that sense it's nice that the end of year 2021 and fan reception turned a corner on this.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
End-of-month update for April:

14. Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Dream (PS4, 2022) - 63:23 - April 8
15. Lost Ark (PC, Global 2022) - 20:07 - April 15
16. Vampire Survivors (PC Early Access, 2021) - 19:52 - April 18
17. No Man's Sky: Blighted (PC, 2022) - 7:24 - April 19
18. Aperture Desk Job (PC, 2022) - 0:32 - April 27
19. Gran Turismo 2 (PS1, 1999) - 9:32 - April 28

Atelier Sophie 2 was the obvious highlight of the month and of the year to date. It's been a while since a game's been able to make the time fly by; even some of the better games I've played this year, I couldn't really play for more than an hour or two at a time. Atelier games are usually pretty reliable games for me so this isn't a huge surprise, but it's nice to see that Sophie 2 is a great Atelier game rather than just a merely good one (looking at you Ryza 1). Hilariously, this month saw TWO games that I could really sink my teeth into; Vampire Survivors was a great podcast game, and a perfect way to kill half an hour on the Steam Deck to boot.

Experimenting with the Steam Deck will likely be the story for May. I've already started or continued five new games since I got mine; six if you include Gemcraft, which isn't a great fit for the Steam Deck just because it's obviously sized for a desktop monitor but otherwise seems to work okay. Elsewhere, I'm keeping an eye on Horizon: Forbidden West sales, and hoping to return to Tales of Arise to finally finish that game off. And though it seems unlikely that the first Forza Horizon 5 expansion will actually come out this month, hopefully we get to at least hear something about it.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
April update time - five games beaten this month (most of my time having gone into Cyberpunk 2077) and I'm up to 23 games beaten, still a little above par so that'll do for me. Up next will be Kirby and the Forgotten City.

Master post here.

header.jpg

19. A Memoir Blue (Xbox One - Game Pass) | 4 April 2022 | 6/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. A Memoir Blue is a short, emotional point-and-click style narrative game recounting a young woman's memories of her mother. Very slow paced and with only minimal interactivity, it's a relaxing experience, albeit just ocassionally frustrating as you try to locate the interactive elements in a given scene - but ultimately I don't come away from the game feeling that it does anything particularly memorable. Still, it's a perfectly decent way to pass the hour or so's time that it takes to play to completion.

header.jpg

20. The Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark (PC - Steam) | 10 April 2022 | 8/10
Completed (six main cases + two bonus) with 100% of achievements unlocked. While I didn't find this second outing for Detective McQueen and Officer Dooley to be quite so compelling as the original, A Fumble in the Dark is another excellent point-and-click adventure. Puzzles for the most part have solutions that make reasonable sense (though there's still the occasional instance of 'moon-logic' making it worth having a guide to hand), the detailed pixelart is used to good effect and the writing is excellent throughout. Each scenario is somewhat more complex than the original game and with areas that satisfyingly interlock and develop, and the strength of the creative premises is a match for the game's high-quality writing. A game not to miss for any fans of the genre!

header.jpg

21. Cyberpunk 2077 (PS5) | 12 April 2022 | 8/10
Platinum trophy earned. Undoubtedly Cyberpunk 2077 suffered from a very poor launch, but having waited until now with the PS5 release, I had a great time with the game. The main plot is very compelling, sold especially well by consistently excellent voice acting, especially so from the player character and Keanu Reeves, who suits his role as iconic rockstar Johnny Silverhands perfectly. Alongisde that, the Night City setting is superbly realised, always impressively detailed and with each district having a distinctive atmosphere that silently tells the story of its history and development. Granted, other than mission-relevant characters, the populace generally offer little by way of interaction, but that isn't something that could really be feasible in a game of this scale.

Away from the main plot, secondary missions are a mixed bag, but there's a good set of high quality here too, especially in those making up chains centred around each of a number of characters of interest (who also offer the game's romance possibilities) and a handful of really memorable cameo appearances/references - Portal's GladOS being perhaps the best of these. Less interesting are in the myriad small gang conflicts that police reports task you with, though they do offer more to keep the player busy in the world.

The primary gameplay mechanic comes in the first-person combat scenarios, which do feel mostly leaning towards an FPS-style approach, supplemented by cybernetic augmentation possibilities and typical RPG character development/attribute improvement. Opportunities are there for a more stealth-focused approach, though, which were typically my preference - for example with a character build more focused on 'quickhacks' usable in place of more traditional guns.

I can't finish this write-up without at least acknowledging the game's technical state. Undeniably the improvements since launch are enormous, but there's still a fair quantity of glitches and stability problems - which I found especially so in the endgame. Hopefully CDPR continue to work on these issues and I look forward to revisiting the game in an eventual expansion.

header.jpg

22. If On A Winter's Night, Four Travelers (PC - Steam) | 17 April 2022 | 6/10
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. If On A Winter's Night, Four Travelers is a short point-and-click 'adventure' game, heavily focused on its horror-themed narrative - puzzles here are primarily around finding the correct interaction point to progress each of the game's three short stories rather than logical challenges. Horror not being my genre preference meant that I didn't enjoy the game as much as I might otherwise have done, but the level of polish and skilled narrative construction here is hard to deny. Particularly notable are some novel and effective techniques to emphasise the overall atmosphere and emotions of each setpiece, such as the use of colour vs monochrome to convey the effects of mental illness and treatment medication.

header.jpg

23. TUNIC (Xbox One - Game Pass) | 22 April 2022 | 9/10
Completed with 'true' ending and 100% of achievements unlocked. A brilliant experience all told, this is a really special game. Ostensibly a Legend of Zelda-style overhead-perspective adventure, TUNIC sees the player controlling an anthropomorphic fix, washed up on the shore of an unknown land, which we quickly find to be packed full of secrets. The core gameplay follows the familiar formula of exploring an overworld, frequently diving into various 'dungeon'-like areas and collecting a variety of items, both usable and story-focused. Each of these areas is meticulously designed and enjoyable to explore, with simple yet beautiful graphics and a perfectly-judged soundtrack.

The level of combat challenge is relatively high, with a Souls-style mechanic that sees the player restarting from checkpoints upon death, with monsters repopulated, but only a small currency penalty that's recouped upon reaching the previous point of death. Bosses are small in number but suitably dramatic, making for memorable encounters that can be extremely satisfying to overcome. Combat does have some weaknesses, not being as nuanced as in some games where it's more of a focus and with weapon-swapping difficult mid-fight, but it's rarely more than a minor niggle.

Where TUNIC really shines, though, is in its world-design and aforementioned secrets. Right from the start, we find that the game primarily uses a runic language, with only snippets translated, and a core objective throughout is the collection of pages from an in-game manual that offers explanations of much of the game's areas and mechanics - but again, largely in untranslated runes. This results in incredibly effective reveals as techniques and concepts finally become evident, despite being available all along (to give specifics would be a spoiler!). This persists right throughout the game. I'll admit that the end-game mysteries were a level beyond me and I wouldn't fault anyone to turn to a guide for these, but it remains an absolute wonder the calibre of world-building that's gone into all this - TUNIC's secrets are very much a match for the similarly superb Fez from a few years ago.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #33 - Teslagrad
Time: 4 hours
Rating: ★★

Well this was a huge bummer after hearing so many good things about it. Let's get the good out of the way first, the game is gorgeous, especially on that big Switch OLED screen. Unfortunately, the gameplay doesn't follow suit, particularly the mechanical aspect of many of it's puzzles and abilities. It's a physics based 2d puzzle game, so you know it's going to be janky, but most of the time I was fighting against the controls and felt the abilities weren't doing what they should be doing. It's not very long and it has a little metroidvania in it with it's new abilities and backtracking, but overall it was a huge disappointment and most of the time I was just frustrated with it.

Main Post

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

The rest of April

17. Carto (PC) | 5th April - 4 hours | 3/5 : Decent enough puzzles, cute art style
18. Katana Zero (PC) | 7th April - 3.6 hours | 3.5/5 : I thought this game would be alot harder with the instant kill mechanic, but it was so fast that dying wasn't an issue. Fun game, hope there's a sequel
19. Superliminal (PC) | 8th April - 2 hours | 2.5/5 : Some of the puzzles were good, but were reused a bit much, while others seemed way too obtuse for me. Idk, maybe I'm just bad at it, I didn't enjoy it
20. Stillness in the Wind (PC) | 10th April - 2 hours | 2/5 : Played the original free version a it ago so I wanted to try the full game. It was much better as a shorter experience
21. Vane (PC) | 16th April - 2.5 hours | 1.5/5 : I'm not sure what to say about this other than it controls like ass
22. Blasphemous (PC) | 18th April - 12 hours | 3.5/5 : Didn't get to the DLC, but I thought it was fun, with a bit more focus on platforming than I thought there would be
23. The Messenger (PC) | 24th April - 10 hours | 3/5 : Great first half, annoying second half when it turns into a mteroidvania. It feels like it would have been better if the game was the same format as the first half for the entire game.
24. Demon Turf (PC) | 29th April - 12 hours | 3/5 : Really fun as a platformer, if not a bit easy. I was not a fan of the combat which focused on pushing enemies

April was a backlog month, and I'm happy with how much of it I'm getting through. I have less than 40 games in my Steam backlog that haven't been beat now.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
29: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. End: 5/4/2022. (3.5 out of 5)

This was my first time playing through an Uncharted game. I found the gameplay clunky, particularly when trying to make certain jumps. I thought the narrative was simple even by video game's inspired by blockbuster action films standard.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
KtBEUqk.png

10. Ghost of Tsushima - 6/10

The presentation in Tushima is perfect and should be considered a golden standard for similar open world games. Very clean and most of the time you won't be seeing any HUD elements on your screen. Sadly the open world itself is as basic as can be and it is littered with icons and very little else in terms of interesting content. There are a handful of side stories that are properly fleshed out but the majority of them feel like an afterthrought. The main story itself has some nice moments, especially the ending, but the lack of humour, warmth and humanity in the entire game really brought it down for me. Everyone is constantly bowing and scraping to you and you are constantly lecturing everyone in a dry voice, it is a very boring dynamic.

1. The Forgotten City (XSX) | 3rd Jan - 8 hrs | 8
2. Psychonauts 2 (XSX) | 8th Jan - 15 hrs | 7
3. The Gunk (XSX) | 9th Jan - 5 hrs | 6
4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XSX) | 13th Jan - 8 hrs | 8
5. Expeditions: Rome (PC) | 29th Jan - 70 hrs | 8
6. Dying Light 2 (PC) | 17th Feb - 60 hrs | 8
7. Death's Door (XSX) | 30th Mar - 10 hrs | 7
8. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PS5) | 10th April - 30 hrs | 3
9. Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS5) | 27th April - 40 hrs | 6
10. Ghost of Tsushima (PS5) | 4th May - 50 hrs | 6

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
31. Bugsnax (4/5/22) ★★★★

Yo this game, I wouldn't say it came out of nowhere for me, but I wasn't entirely prepared for how much I'd enjoy it.
Now obviously, I knew the theme from its reveal was a bop (and that got me listening to Kero Kero Bonito, so in that respect Bugsnax had already done some good) and it came out with a wee bit of buzz being positioned as a pseudo PS5 Indie launch title (yeah it's on PS4, but that shit Sony pulled with the PS plus version being PS5 exclusive had me just blank it out of spite).
On the whole though I felt like it sorta came and went, its late arrival to Xbox and Switch being more like "oh yeah, this game", and like many in here judging by our lists, I'm on that gamepass train, so all aboard to snaktooth isle.

And it's bloomin' great, immediately I'm not too sure what game to compare it to, for me this experience felt pretty fresh, like I guess maybe Ape Escape (which full disclosure, I've never played so I might be dead wrong) mixed with Pokemon snap if it also kept the physical capturing conceit.
It's a pretty basic game sure, use your few tools in their few ways to manipulate the exploitable AI of bugsnax and capture them, wrap this up in the surprisingly heavy plot and character dynamics of its NPCs in what might be the other thing the game is known for, a sort of tonal whiplash of muppet like grumpus going through relatable human experiences and emotions

The Bugsnax themselves tap right into that nostalgic watching the pokemon anime of my childhood vibe as they repeat their punny names in a manner so doofy as to keep them living rent free in my mind, like I'm just sitting here and suddenly I'm all "snoooopybanoooopy", that aggressive yeeting m'fer!
It's got a loop that just works, guided enough without being overbearing, might make you have to use a bit of thought on occasions or wrestle with a bit of clunky mechanics while still having me feel like I figured things out. Bounding between the compact field areas and central hub, seamlessly ploughing through sidequests alongside the main plot, actually being intrigued by its central mystery and slowly endeared to its cast of troubled souls.

And this in fact leads me to my first 1000/1000, granted it's a pretty lenient one seeing that there's still some optional busywork like tasks I can do in the game, heck I was still doing them because I was enjoying the game enough to want to see how else I could furnish my crib. I don't think the new island content from this year factored into those cheevos either, once again though, I did it all because I wanted to, that's the mark of a good game.
If I'd played this in 2020 it'd definitely have worked into my top 5 of that year, one could dream of a further ambitious version of the game that really leans into exploration with bigger, denser maps, and having deeper mechanics, yet at the same time I think what makes this game work is its relative simplicity.
It just looks to be an easily grasped fun time, and that's exactly what it is.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
Games from April:

19. Need for Speed (PS4) | Apr/07 - 25hrs | ★★☆☆☆
GaH5kKU.gif

I didn't like NFS Rivals, the first game made by Ghost after the great games coming from Criterion, so I didn't have high expectations for this "reboot", but I really wanted to play a night race game again along the lines of NFS Underground or Midnight Club, so I gave it a shot. Here the races are alternated with FMV scenes about the story of a group of racers addicted to Monster and fist bumps, but I really didn't pay attention to anything that was happening...
Unfortunately, Need for Speed makes many of the same mistakes as Rivals (no pause option, confusing and bureaucratic UI, bugs). But it is much less frustrating, mainly because the police here are almost harmless. The game is quite easy, the biggest challenge being the bizarre rubber banding that exists in the highest level races, where no matter how good your car and the tuning done are, it's quite common to have at least one opponent that not only accompanies you, but also can easily overtake you in addition make curves at high speed without problems.
Comparing to Hot Pursuit (originally from 2010), the collision physics is strangely worse. Car control in general also feels worse, but this can be adjusted with the tuning options. The city, although beautiful, ceases to be interesting after a few hours.
If it weren't for the fact that I really like arcade racing games, I probably would have abandoned this one the same way I did with Rivals. And from what I've heard about Payback and Heat, I don't think Ghost Studios has had much luck with the franchise.​

20. Kero Blaster (PS4) | Apr/10 - 5hrs | ★★★★☆
ePT8Qte.gif

2D Shooter/Platform by Studio Pixel, creators of Cave Story. I ended up in both normal mode and Zangyou (hard) mode, which has a different story and level design for each level. It's a great game, maybe not as good as Cave Story, but very charming in its own way. Both the pixel art and the soundtrack are very good, and despite the game being short, it has incentives to be played again, eventually I intend to play in Omake mode (NG+) and try to get the secret weapon. But for now I'm quite satisfied with the experience. The only really negative point for me it's that the jet-pack (which works as a double jump) isn't as reliable for the level of precision that some platforming sessions require.​

21. Jak II (PS4) | Apr/17 - 15hrs | ★★☆☆☆
a3tXpAl.gif

Sequel to one of my favorite platform/collectathon games, which for some reason was turned into a pretty mediocre semi open world action game. It's hard to understand what went through the heads of the Naught Dog people while making this, since basically everything that it's introduced in Jak II makes it a worse game. The story is confusing and in a weird tone, the characters are unpleasant, the city is horrible to navigate, the weapon control is pretty bad and worse yet is the control of "Dark Jak" (I only activated it to get rid of the horrible icon on the screen). There's still a remnant of the good moments of "Precursor Legacy" in some missions, and it was basically for those moments that I played until the end, but they were soon followed by variations of "kill all enemies", "protect this dumb AI", " operate this vehicle with poor control", etc. I may play Jak 3 sometime in the future though, more out of curiosity at this point than anything else.​

22. OFF (PC) | Apr/19 - 6hrs | ★★★★★
LXpmmYc.png

One day I was on vgm-quiz.com when I heard a song that caught my attention, "Pepper Steak" from a game called OFF. Soon I went to research more about it and 10 minutes later I was playing this French project made in RPG Maker, which for some reason I had never heard about. I was absolutely fascinated by the world, the dialogues and especially the excellent soundtrack and sound work in general. It's quite interesting to see how, even limited by its RPG Maker engine, it tries to do more "out of the box" stuff that games like Undertale would do with better results years later. Combat uses an ATB system that bothers me a bit, but its progress is pretty smooth overall. The highlight of the gameplay are the puzzles and secrets in the scenarios, most of which are very interesting without necessarily being frustrating. I liked it a lot, even if it took more than a decade since the first translation into English to get to know this gem.​

23. Celeste (PS4) | Apr/22 - 14hrs | ★★★★☆
Ds2q2aa.gif

This is a game loved by a lot of people and this somehow created certain expectations for me, since I really like platform games. Despite some problems I had, I still thought it was a great game. My biggest criticism is that the chapters are just too long. I even find it interesting that it wanted to explore the gimmick of each chapter to the fullest, but from the third chapter onwards I always wished it would be finished a few screens earlier. The story of Madeline and her journey to the top of the mountain, dealing with her troubles and seeking self-acceptance, is not particularly original or amazing in its own right, but it is told in a very mature way, and all the characters are very charismatic (the art of the game contributes a lot to this). The soundtrack is great and this is very important as you will be listening to the same song for a long time while facing a challenge several times. I haven't finished all the B-sides, maybe I'll go back to them, but for now I feel like I've extracted everything I would like from this game.​

24. The Artful Escape (Xbox) | Apr/23 - 3hrs | ★★☆☆☆
ffNPQ5V.gif

The Artful Escape is very, very beautiful. The game mixes 2D and 3D elements with vibrant colors in a psychedelic mood, and on an OLED screen it's gorgeous and impressive. Unfortunately, the visual aspect is the only that I think it really deserves praise. The game tells the story of a nephew of a folk legend who is following in his uncle's footsteps, but would actually like to be a "opera rock" star, he meets an alien and sets out on a journey to create his "David Bowie like" persona, while going through extremely simple platforming stages that usually end with rhythm battles in a "Simon" minigame. For a game that should tell a story where music is the main element, The Artful Escape only manages to provide some very generic guitar solos that don't integrate either with the music of the scenario, or with the songs during these "boss battles". Since it is very short, I think it is worth the experience for the visual aspect, although everything else is mediocre to bad.​

25. Flywrench (PS4) | Apr/27 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
DJxDfAR.gif

A very simple arcade-like game from the creator of Nidhogg about a spaceship traversing the solar system. By far the best thing about Flywrench is its excellent soundtrack, including compositions by Daedelus. Otherwise the game is nice, with an interesting level of challenge, except in the penultimate chapter where the difficulty spike is exaggerated. But it has options to control the difficulty and even to unlock all stages, so it's easy to see everything that the game offers.​

26. Streets of Rage 4 (XBO) | Apr/28 - 3hrs | ★★★★☆
QoCVpqJ.gif

Taking the opportunity to play a little more before it leaves Game Pass. I really enjoyed this sequel to my favorite classic Beat'em up series. Despite being short and lacking in variety compared to other more recent games of the genre, the combo system, the variety of moves and the insanity that is the Mania mode makes SoR 4 an absurdly fun game, with lots of replay value.​

27. Save Room - Organization Puzzle (PC) | Apr/29 - 2hrs | ★★★☆☆
Xzwup9u.jpg

A "Resident Evil 4 Inventory Simulator". Hilarious idea for a puzzle game that I can only imagine why no one else has done it before. Very simple and short, but it manages to explore well the possibilities that its proposal allows. It's pretty cheap too.​

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
April and May so far update

1. Yakuza Like A Dragon (XSX) JAN 3- 123 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES 9/10
2. The Forgotten City (XSX) JAN 22- 13 HOURS AND 48 MINUTES 9/10
3. Hitman( 2016) (XSX) FEB 4 68 HOURS AND 22 MINUTES 9/10
4. It Takes Two (PS5) FEB 8 14 HOURS 12 MINUTES 4/10
5. Hitman 2 (XSX) MAR 22 45 HOURS AND 38 MINUTES 8/10
6. Unpacking (XSX) APR 7 6 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 6/10
7. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS5) APR 18 59 HOURS AND 49MINUTES 8/10
8. FarCry 5 (XSX) APR 26 53 HOURS AND 29 MINUTES 8/10
9. FarCry 5 Hours of Darkness (XSX) MAY 1 3 HOURS AND 12 MINUTES 4/10
10.FarCry 5 Lost on Mars (XSX) MAY 6 3 HOURS AND 26 MINUTES 5/10
11.FarCry 5 Dead Living Zombies (XSX) MAY 8 4 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 3/10

155627-games-news-pc-gamers-will-be-able-to-import-hitman-2-level-into-hitman-3-soon-image1-s74rywmvwn.jpg

5. Hitman 2 (XSX) MAR 22 45 HOURS AND 38 MINUTES 8/10
Agent 47 is still the man look at that tuxedo
Hitman 2 has some of the best replayable maps
I can find new ways to disrupt the race in a silly old school GTA way in Miami
Have you tried tossing a wrench on the track? (trust me do it)
Hawkes Bay should not be an addictive challenge its just a tutorial map yet I have spent hours coming up with new escape routes from the roof to the beach.
Haven Island just make me laugh everytime I figure out another hidden entrance to try out another job and costume
The only thing that seperates 2 from 1 is the cut scenes are no longer high qualit yand although the story is fine
Hitman 1 just had the vibe of the stakes were really high whereas Hitman 2 is like a really well done 90's graphic novel
Hitman 2 is just more tremendous fun it may not feel as groundbreaking as Hitman 1
Hitman 2 maps are fantastic and every Hitman fan knows that what has made all the difference when you replay the levels
I'm excited to start Hitman 3 next since Im going into blind into that one

FDxO_RPUUAQEh9H.0.jpg

6. Unpacking (XSX) APR 7 6 HOURS AND 17 MINUTES 6/10
I will keep my Gamecube in the kitchen next to the crock pot
There is nothing wrong with it
I just think Unpacking does a good job when it comes to storytelling
Everything that involves a move can tell a chapter in your life and that is exactly what Unpacking conveys.
The only issue is outside it's well done enviormental storytelling
I find the game boring to play and could only play it right before bed.
I could only play a chapter at a time and my wife to be was constantly saying we have boxes you could open in the garage and put those items away too
For the purpose of art created unecessary work for me to complete and she did give me a sticker upon completion
I was just never a fan of Unpacking the game but I respected the story it told that kept me going
GOTY contender no but an excuse to clean the garage most definitely.

598c5f4076084a25008b7967

7. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS5) APR 18 59 HOURS AND 49MINUTES 8/10
I have always wanted to play a game with robot dinos.
I had bought HZD at launch but it sat in my long overdue PS4 backlog (next to God of War btw)
My first moments with combat made me so happy it was the first time i could deploy traps that HZD clicked for me
I adore the fulton system in MGS V/Peacewalker and the only thing I enjoy more was the freeflow combat and Aloy has the same exact effect on me.
The side quests were constantly diet Witcher edition with batman detective vision yet every encounter with a Snapmaw was a joy regardless the quest payoff.
The mystery of the world's origins and Aloy's back story drive the plot foward in a way I appreciated.
HZD is that open world game where you could always be overleveled and unstoppable if you choose
Corrupted zones were always a challenge as were the Cauldrons epic showdowns in tight spaces.
HZD is this year's Marvel's Spider-Man for me a PS exclusive in my backlog I just finished recently and a sequel I will definitely play in the near future.
The only reason I can't score it higher was this has all the collectables and busy work that every open world feels they have to expand on
and some of those Hunter trials pushed me to the point of a broken dualsense
I did get the platnium trophy and really loved being in this world despite the tribe storylines going nowhere
Into The Frozen Wilds I go now

NP
Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds
LIS True Colors (with future wife)
MLB THE SHOW 22 SP 90 Overall
Hitman 3 (FINALLY)
Elden Ring

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

master30.png

Quick Update:
  • Tunic - What an absolute joy. The world is interesting, the music is fantastic. Everything is hidden and utilizes an old friend heavily. The true ending is really fun to get if you enjoy puzzles.
  • FFXIII - Always heard bad things about XIII, I honestly really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the combat, and while characters voices were odd choices, I did enjoy the cast. Utalizing a large cast frequently really took advantage of combat systems.
  • FXXIII-2 - It takes the combat straight from XIII-2, but with the limited cast really negatively impacted my experience. I still enjoyed XIII-2 and the plot while bonkers was fun to see through to the end. Game is fairly short (~20 hours) so it doesn't stay around to long.
  • Mafia D.E- This game is straight action and I really liked it. From one mission to the next, you are in for a fun ride.
  • Rogue Legacy 2 - Takes what made the first game great and expands upon it even further with tons of enhancements and new gameplay elements.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
30: Pokémon Legends: Arceus . End: 5/6/2022. (3.5 out of 5)

I appreciate the game trying to break out of the standard Pokémon gameplay loop. I think there's plenty of room to grow with this direction, but this game feels like it doesn't quite know how completely. And the narrative is also not good, which is disappointing as Sun and Moon showed that this franchise is capable of delivering an enjoyable narrative. Still, for what it is, I found it enjoyable.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
7N7UYm.jpg

17. Pupperazi (Series X) 6 May - 5hrs | ★★

Was just using this to get easy daily achievements and now I finished the game and only have one achievement left that I don't want to bother with. Stupid game.

DoABarrelRoll

Apr 15, 2022
I finished Super Mario 64 after decades and it's awesome to see how smooth the gameplay is, the level design holds attention, the songs stick to the head and even with old graphics the game doesn't look bad. This is one of those classics games that leaving the graphics aside is really good game even in today stardands, awesome game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Zce9z4E.jpg

Game #34 - Metroid Dread
Time: 15 hours
Rating: ★★★★★

Let me get the bad out of the way, the E.M.M.I sections are just bad. There, that's it, that's all the negatives I have to say about this. Just a fantastic Metroid game all around, with a meaty campaign, tons of items to collect if you are into that, a giant sprawling world with lot's of bio domes, some of the best graphics on the Switch (damn it looks good on the OLED) and easily the best Samus has ever controlled, like I said, it's awesome all around, except for those E.M.M.I sections which can get real frustrating (and even if they aren't, they just break the flow of the game and don't fit in with what you want which is to explore).

Main Post

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Finished up with April. Main post through here.

April
22. A Memoir Blue - Xbox Series X - 1 hour, 10 minutes.
23. The Procession to Calvary - Xbox Series X - 1 hour, 27 minutes
24. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - Xbox Series X - 16 hours, 10 minutes
25. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion - Xbox Series X - 1 hour, 58 minutes

I almost forgot about this this week. This was a week for much shorter games, outside Tiny Tina but I started that last month. I'm pretty much right where I was last year, which surprised me since I feel like I'm playing much longer games this year in general. But I seem pretty on track.

May (26/52)
26. Resident Evil 2 Remake - PS5 - 3 hours, 8 minutes
27. Trek to Yomi - Xbox Series X - 4 hours, 32 minutes
28. Lost Words: Beyond the Page - Xbox Series X - 3 hours, 26 minutes
29. Resident Evil 3 Remake - PS5 - 2 hours, 15 minutes
30. Peggle 2 - Xbox Series X - 4 hours
31. Umurangi Generation: Special Edition - Xbox Series X - 3 hours, 44 minutes
32. Pick Pack Pup - Playdate - 2 hours

Last edited:

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
[QUOTE="Lord Fanny, post: 86218541, member: 66912"
May (26/52)
26. Resident Evil Remake - PS5 - 3 hours, 8 minutes
[/QUOTE]
Is the OG RE really that short? Or just because you've played it before? If it is that quick I might add it to my playlist

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
[QUOTE="Lord Fanny, post: 86218541, member: 66912"
May (26/52)
26. Resident Evil Remake - PS5 - 3 hours, 8 minutes
Is the OG RE really that short? Or just because you've played it before? If it is that quick I might add it to my playlist
[/QUOTE]

Can't speak for them, but for me when I replay it I know where everything is now and can beat it under 4 hours. First playthrough is usually between 10-12 hours with no guide.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
31: Trek to Yomi. End: 5/7/2022. (2.5 out of 5)

2D Action games can be difficult to pull off in this day and age. It doesn't help that playing a game that is completely black & white with a zoomed out camera can be a frustrating experience. And that's about the gist of it for me. This game can be a frustrating experience.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

I actually messed up because that was supposed to be RE2 remake lol. But to answer your question, yes, the RE1 remake can be beat in a pretty short time period. As the other poster mentioned, there is an achievement for beating it in 4 hours or less.

Having said that, that's really for replays and stuff. If you've never played it before and aren't familiar with the puzzles and where to go, it's probably closer to a 10 hour-ish experience. I beat RE2 in that speed because I just did a quick run with the infinite rocket launcher lol. It's probably about 10 or so hours on your first playthrough as well.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #35 - Trek To Yomi
Time: 5 hours
Platform: XBOX Series X
Rating: ★★

One of the biggest cases of style over substance, this gorgeous cinematic samurai game is completely carried by it's art style and little else. Gameplay is super basic and worse of all, pretty frustrating, and while they try to throw in some exploration, ehalth and stamina pickups and a ton of moves, you end up just mashing the attack. Big disappointment, still worth a playthrough if you are into the style, especialyl since it's not very long. A rare Devolver miss.

Main Post

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
cUXy1s4.png

14. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water a.k.a. Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water (2014/2015, Wii U) ★★★☆☆
A deeply flawed game plagued by bloat and excess, but which impressed me in spots nonetheless. Please note the below will reference suicide and suicidal ideation throughout, and the game does too.

Set near an off-brand Mt. Fuji, various characters are haunted by past traumas and present depressions. This leaves them vulnerable to being spirited away into the Aokigahara-inspired forest and to various occult shrines. Their only defence against the ghosts and spirits is a supernatural camera, iterating on the superstition that cameras can steal (pieces of) one's soul.
The result is an at times deeply oppressive atmosphere: you rescue characters from cliff sides in one mission, only for them to immediately get drawn to another popular suicide site. When these scenes work, they help establish a pervasive sense of of helplessness and inevitability. It's futile to pluck someone off the mountain and expecting them to be okay, without helping them establish a support system. There's a degree of comforting resilience found in these depressed people trying to function as supports for each other, but it's clear the center will not hold without addressing root causes.

In its best moments, Fatal Frame 5 takes cues from horror films and restricts your camera control. Some reveals come agonisingly slow, others are sprung upon you. Two levels feel like a take on Paranormal Activity, where you cycle through a dozen surveillance cameras, hoping to catch apparitions in time. Grainy VHS filtered cut-scenes are abundant, with a related mechanic which lets you Glance the final moments in life of ghosts you banish. The first person camera-as-weapon mechanic further ensures you only have limited visibility. Since ghosts can move through walls or appear behind you, you can be left flailing in the dark (especially when using motion controls), stuck on walls or objects while trying to train the camera at your assailant(s).

A cue it unfortunately does not take from film, is brevity. Clocking in around 18-20 hours is just way beyond what the scope of the game supports. There's maybe 6 areas tops which are interesting enough to pass through once, but backtracking occurs extensively, and almost every level is twice as long as it needs to be. Thematically I think they just about get away with having these characters retracing steps and going in spirals, but when the player is sprinting from encounter to encounter to decrease travel time between familiar sites, it indicates tension is lost. Some levels match the running time of TV episodes or in a few cases even outright feature films, but since the premise s already established they're effectively stretching a 2nd Act far beyond its breaking point.

Another aspect I don't love is how it flubs the theme of sexualisation. On the one hand, a pivotal character moment for Miu revolves around her being forced to pose in ways she's uncomfortable with to become a model, which is an effective and unsettling scene. But simultaneously, the game seems a little too enthusiastic about engineering scenarios to get its young female lead characters into pouring rain or half-flooded shrines, seemingly partially motivated so their white blouses become clingy and a bit see-through. It feels exploitative in the exact same way the game criticises, and this isn't even mentioning the bikini costumes removed in localisation.

There's other, lesser, complaints to be found too (particularly its imprecise movement controls), and yes, too many underdeveloped ancillary characters don't do its cohesion any favours. But if you can mount some empathy for worn out people, trying their best while flattened by the weight of depression, I think this game might resonate despite its many, obvious flaws.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
32: Kirby Super Star. End: 5/9/2022. (4 out of 5)

A very classic Kirby game that mostly holds up (the exception being the design of one boss in this version which can be seen as quite problematic).

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
20 | ISLANDERS
PC | April 30 | 7 h | 5/5
RGIfsQk.png

Uncomplicated city builder with two modes: score and sandbox. This was a fantastic puzzle game, if it's fair to call it that? You choose from a set of buildings to place strategically on your map to earn a score. For example, you could grab a Lumberjack building and place it next to trees. Then place a Sawmill near the Lumberjack to earn points.

Be careful, because poor planning could ruin your building placements in the future. You can only undo the last building you have placed. Once you have earned a high score, you can move to the next island. It may sound *very boring* in my writing but if you enjoy non demanding, chill games, I recommend giving this a try.

21 | Choice of the Deathless
PC | May 07 | 6.5 h | 3/5
JQnPxQU.png

This marks my fourth Choice of Games pick and I personally felt it was the weakest. That doesn't mean it was a bad game! The story takes place in a fantastical world with demons and undead attorneys. You work in a firm and have abilities called Craft, like a magic system. You have relationship stats that can become more romantic or give you a step up in the business world.

Sadly I felt there wasn't enough detail in the writing. When you have abstract writing in whimsical demon worlds and creative magic, I believe you do need more detail to make your idea more clear. There were a couple of pages I had to reread to fully understand what was happening. Again, that could be subjective.

I'm more disappointed there aren't different paths you can take in the story. It's how you react to what happens in section A, then B, and finally C. It's a very rigid storyline. The endings are different depending on your choices but only by a couple paragraphs. This wasn't a unenjoyable story but I may avoid this author to see if I resonate more with others.

22 | Mask of the Plague Doctor
PC | May 09 | 9 h (30 total) | 5/5
AE87OIL.png

I counted this Choice of Games pick back in 2020. The story lingered with me. I saw that I was missing four achievements and did not need convincing to jump back in. I still greatly enjoyed this story.

It has everything I was missing from Choice of the Deathless. Incredibly detailed story, fleshed out characters, and a wide array of elaborate endings. The story is broken down into 12 chapters; it is a long read. There are a few points that happen regardless but your actions (and stats) will significantly change the outcome of the story.

My only negative is trying to view all the different outcomes for achievements. The author, Peter Parrish, made a couple achievements too precise to unlock. I had difficulty replaying the story over and over with different choices to no avail. Thankfully Parrish is active on the official Choice of Games forums and was super cool to give players hints that were stumped, like me. They apologized that those paths were too narrow and specific to follow. They said they have learned from this (I believe this is their first story with CoG). I'm looking forward to their next story that's in progress.

Main Post

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
33: Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising. End: 5/12/2022. (3 out of 5)

An action RPG meant to whet the appetite of its audience before the main game makes its debut. And... I thought the gameplay of this title was a little too simple for its own good at times. I wasn't exactly pulled into the world of the game either. It's not a bad game, but it's not really a great game either.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
sLV8erK.jpg

Game #36 - Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Time: 10 hours
Rating: ★★★★

Hadn't played a Pikmin game in ages, only having played the first one back in the day, but I remember really liking it, and this latest one confirmed it. Just a super fun, super wholesome series, I loved almost everything about this, and a few little nitpicks make me not go the full monty on it. It's a gorgeous game and it plays great, but I never felt the multiple characters were used to it's full effect, the last level was really annoying and went against what I want from a Pikmin game, the main campaign is a bit short and the added Olimar side missions aren't very good, but like I said, these are all nitpicks in a otherwise great game. Easy recommendation.

Main Post

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
32. Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory (9/5/22) ★★★

Now this was an odd one for me, because my experience with the KH franchise first hand is basically just...
- Tried the HD collection and bounced off the first game midway through Wonderland, so like two/three hours in
- Played through all the Disney/Pixar Worlds of KH3 last year via gamepass, dropped the game once that content was exhausted, so I guess around 90% of the way in.

So I'm in no way a KH fan, I'm not particularly fond of its music either, but I LOVED Final Fantasy Theatrhythm (even before playing the vast majority of its represented titles, and curtain call was even better), so this pseudo sequel to that was on my list when it reached a low price point.
And yep, this is more of the Theatrhythm (a title that's a pain in the arse to keep typing, dammit Square), a lot of terminology carried over, the same style of unlocks, and even the loading screen has the sub franchises unique style of chibi characters.

What's different here though is that Kingdom Hearts being Kingdom Hearts, isn't just gonna make this a rhythm game with no context to the series, no dammit, this has to be CANON.
That said, from what I could tell, the game is 95% truncated KH saga retelling, narrated by Kairi, waffling on about hearts, darkness and what not every now and then as footage from the relevant game plays, safe to say this wont help anyone understand whatever the eff is going on in KH. The juicy hook for fans seems to be the 15-20 minutes of content right at the end of the campaign, indeed Square have blessed fans with about 20 minutes of new cutscene content that is almost like "wow, it's fuckin' nothing!", though with that KH4 teaser recently I could actually infer some kind of developing plot point, maybe.

But look, that's not why I'm here, I'm here to finally see if I could get on board with what I expect most VGM connoisseurs would consider Yoko Shimomura's crowning work (I will always bang the street fighter 2 drum myself), while getting a good rhythm game in the process.
And this here is a game of stark divides in quality, none of the music is ever bad here, but compared to FF curtain call getting to draw from the vast swathe of FF history, spinoffs included, KH just ain't ever gonna have the same quality track list. Drawing primarily from 5 games and a few spinoff bits (and even the odd actual Disney track), the music is pretty consistent, familiar across all entries and oscillates between these bouncy themes ala Yoko's Super Mario RPG/Mario & Luigi OSTS, and more dramatic JRPG fare.
Problem 1 here is that the JRPG fare stuff, while good music, often lacks a clear musical through line for the game to get a rhythm going with, some tracks in this game are just bad to actually play, meanwhile the most enjoyable tracks usually came from more unexpected sources where the music was more jaunty and had clear melodic parts, older Disney worlds>newer Disney Worlds here (older as in, the movies themselves, not KH entries)
There's some other quibbles with the gameplay outside a quarter of the tracks misfiring, like how the perspective taken and increasing movement of enemies (the beat markers effectively) can mask the beats, moments of lacking clarity can be pretty brutal in a game like this.
Otherwise though? yeah it's fine, it's fun, the way the game contextualises its beat markers by swatting through the series varied enemies in a rather dynamic fashion is quite novel, making good use of flipping all those HD collection assets.
Of course, as a Switch player (gotta get my one whole Smash Bros track after all) I was curious as to how KH3 would be approached, alas there was no lower poly stand-ins, just a background cinematic, boooo-urns, but at least happy hair day was in here, that was like the sole track that stood out to me when I did play KH3.

So yeah, that happened, non KH fan plays through KH fanservice game, gives it a nod of approval if you like rhythm games, video game music and well, Kingdom Hearts I suppose! only middle of the road though, it's not taking on its FF Curtain Call predecessor any time soon.

33. (replay) Metal Gear Solid 2 (12/5/22) ★★★★

To think, I haven't played MGS2 since the late days of the PS2, I passed over its HD edition in favour of just playing Snake Eater back on the PS3.
In modern times MGS2 is mostly known for some of its more prophetic views of information in the digital age and how damn ballsy the game's plot (or complete jettisoning of it effectively) and subversion actually was.
So this was gonna be an interesting revisit, fortunately I snaffled this MGS2/3 HD combo before it got taken off online stores. The nostalgia was hitting me like Snake's three hit combo, the cutscenes made up of like multiple other cutscenes, the very of its time slow mo and blur effects in said cutscenes, the constant beeping of the codec. Every part of my tastes in video games should have me hating this, but I don't, MGS 1, 2 and 3 all operate right on the borderline of what I can stomach in regards to balancing narrative and gameplay.
When I did finally get control of Snake on the tanker, oh god, what the shit am I doing? bumble is the word of the day as I wrestled with MGS2's unorthodox and fairly outdated control scheme, the finger gymnastics and specific positioning required to perform a lean out first person gunshot is something special.
I've played that Tanker demo many times, but never as badly as this, yet me being shit at this game was almost like a bizarre blessing, the amount of shenanigans and fuckery ensuing as a result was almost always more hilarious than frustrating.

While the Tanker I'd played to death, Big Shell I've only gone through once, and as someone who replays games I enjoyed on the regular (see: this thread) it's rare I get to go back to one having forgotten a large portion of it. Raiden is such a nubbins, and I kinda love it, everything about the Big Shell is so much more fascinating to me now, knowing what they're going for with Raiden, knowing the plot twists (and even then I'd forgotten some) and perhaps most importantly, remembering MGS1 as you play through it.
It's crazy just how many story beats and scenarios they rehash here, on purpose of course. In some respects this does still hold the game back, yeah meta narrative is fine and all, but it is still a heavy reheating of MGS1 set pieces when it's all said and done. There's also a few things about the gameplay that have aged more than I expected, for all the game's crazy attention to detail and bazillion small touches, the core experience can be fiddly and like it never actually evolved too much from the original. First person view point is a bit like a band aid for the game's moments of lacking visibility and information, though I do kinda like having to earn your way to each rooms radar availability despite the camera related blundering into enemies you couldn't see.

Bosses! they're...fine, Once more I think it falls short of 1 and 3 in this department, the only one that actually stands out to me is Fatman of all people, outside his wacky rollerblading, the core gimmick of balancing your beatdown with bomb defusal is a frantic hook. I think the bosses may have struggled here due to accommodating the first person view which basically locks you to the spot, leading to wonky encounters like Vamp where it never feels like the fight comes together, fights like this one and Olga have this strange stiltedness to them where the game has to have time for you to line up headshots, but not enough to just blat blat through the fights.
As is often the case with the series, it's a shame the game itself is so short, all these neat ideas, gadgets, silly optional stuff like doing pullups to increase grip stamina, it's all kinda over before being fully explored. I suppose better to leave me wanting than tired of the same stuff, this version does have the VR missions and SNAKE TALES to add some bulk to the gameplay side, though honestly those modes kinda highlighted some of the game's shortcomings more than offering a fun toybox of stealth.

The complete package does come together as a fairly landmark outing though, aspects of the games cinematics and voice acting are strong for its times, the concepts it tackles are kinda nuts for its times as well, and while it has some modern day control stumbles, it works well enough in the confines of its own gameplay structure, an enjoyable revisit for sure that has me ready to pounce on Snake Eater again in the near future.

Also the Emma Emmerich section is fine you cowards, game gives you plenty of room to manage to avoid drowning (what a line!)
Also also, I'm now going to be hyper aware of the parrot on Otacon's arm whenever someone posts that Snake/Otacon bromance gif.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Had some time so here are two short games I completed today.

34: Peggle 2. End: 5/13/2022. (3.5 out of 5)

This puzzle game feels more like a level pack than a sequel. That doesn't mean it is a bad game. Far from it. Particularly for people who enjoyed the first Peggle. It's a fine enough puzzle game.

35: Telling Lies. End: 5/13/2022. (3.5 out of 5)

This game is all about story. And its rather conventional narrative is told in a rather unconventional way. At times it barely feels like it qualifies as a game, but it is.