• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oceans 80 really doesn't have tge same writing quality as the others

why hurt the employees and customers...just take your shit and leave.
Because they could get away with it

What the hell? We are defending robberies on this board now???

Not what their post was implying at all. They were wondering why take the time to harm people if their goal was just to steal, not "here's how you steal the right way"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I swear this was the plot of something i seen before. The mastermind organized all these smash and grabs by randoms to cover the real heist.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man, the right are gonna absolutely clean up, blue lawless cities are gonna be the main ads and you can't even say its exaggerated because this shit is happening all over.

Minorities who come from dangerous places don't wanna see this shit happen here, look at eric adams getting in on law and order in NYC.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
You know how you get authoritarian right wing people in charge? I'll give you a hint - it's not by being the party of cheering on criminals.

We're already in a place where the right is in a position to sweep politically over the next couple of years, and the whole 'fuck corporations, steal their shit' attitude isn't helping. You may feel a smug sense of satisfaction for being 'right' about reforming the legal system, but a political party never won on a platform of being soft on crime, especially not as openly so as some of the large city DAs are being as of late. Tossing people in jail isn't always the answer, but letting criminals do what they want out of some twisted sense of Robin Hood-style justice isn't either.

You know how you get authoritarian right wing people in charge? I'll give you a hint - it's not by being the party of cheering on criminals.

We're already in a place where the right is in a position to sweep politically over the next couple of years, and the whole 'fuck corporations, steal their shit' attitude isn't helping. You may feel a smug sense of satisfaction for being 'right' about reforming the legal system, but a political party never won on a platform of being soft on crime, especially not as openly so as some of the large city DAs are being as of late. Tossing people in jail isn't always the answer, but letting criminals do what they want out of some twisted sense of Robin Hood-style justice isn't either.
nobody here is cheering the criminals

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure every poster here saying the stealing and heisting is ok would be saying the same thing if they were robbed.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I'm sure every poster here saying the stealing and heisting is ok would be saying the same thing if they were robbed.

in fairness, big difference between a big box store and someone's house or a small business. that said, 80 people with crowbars, thats gonna be dangerous as fuck no matter the context. i dunno about people cheering these mass robberies, 80 people, that can make it tougher to catch the violent offenders. like, 80 people with weapons is terrifying so im not sure about cheering people inflicting terror on random people trying to get thru their day.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Crazy how it is slowly upticking around the country. I expect with more media attention it will give more people ideas. Also the multiple Louis Vuitton targets seem a little more than just coincidental. I wonder if there is any coordination amongst these various robberies and what their reasoning was for the places they chose to rob. It's not like they are starving robbing grocery stores for food, they are picking high end fashion stores.
I mean yeah it's obvious they're doing it for money. A LV bag can cost anywhere from like $1-$10k.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
The corporations are insured. They're not being harmed in the slightest. All you're cheering on is the physical and psychological harm to these innocent retail workers.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
First time on the internet?

Look at what reddit accomplished with stocks... or fucking better yet... January 6th.
I'd call January 6th far from "well coordinated". (Thank heaven, else we'd have had dead politicians.) In any event, they were all motivated by a cult mindset and dozens of them were actually arrested at the scene. The stocks things, I daresay it's easier to coordinate human behavior online, where no one needs to physically interact with anyone, it's all just keystrokes.

Here, you actually had to get 80 people recruited to physically show up at the store at about the same time in a small fleet of getaway vehicles, storm the building, and flee with armfuls of merchandise in a short amount of time before speeding off in said small fleet of vehicles. I dunno, seems like a prodigious challenge here in the 21st century to coordinate irl human behavior for such a crowd of people at a setup as complicated as a big box store without someone bungling it and getting caught at the scene. (Maybe I'm giving our chronically-online modern species too little credit.) 🤷‍♀️

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
The corporations are insured. They're not being harmed in the slightest. All you're cheering on is the physical and psychological harm to these innocent retail workers.

ya i really didnt think about it till now, but 80 people coming in is just scary, and some of them had guns, and crowbars, nahh, thats terrifying as fuck, one person in that 80 decides they want to hurt you, naw, fuck that shit, yeah nothing to cheer in that.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If anyone thinks that shit like this will won't get Democrats hammered in 2022/2024, you are delusional. Republicans are going to parade this to suburban voters and show as an example what happens when Democrats hold the state and don't prosecute lower level crimes. You can see an example on what happened in VA a bit with education and crime (and admittedly terrible campaign for Dems).

And this isn't going to play only for white audiences either.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Also:

1. Acts like this shouldn't be cheered on.
2. According to a lot people ITT, 2-3 posters cheering it on = the whole forum is cheering it on. Stop that.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah there are only a couple people cheering this on and they really shouldn't. Most this thread recognized how horrible of a situation this is. When you get a mob that large to commit a crime it's incredibly dangerous to the public.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Here, you actually had to get 80 people recruited to physically show up at the store at about the same time in a small fleet of getaway vehicles, storm the building, and flee with armfuls of merchandise in a short amount of time before speeding off in said small fleet of vehicles. I dunno, seems like a prodigious challenge here in the 21st century to coordinate irl human behavior for such a crowd of people at a setup as complicated as a big box store without someone bungling it and getting caught at the scene. (Maybe I'm giving our chronically-online modern species too little credit.) 🤷‍♀️
an insane level of coordination to get that number of people to accomplish this. The getaway car scene too. These ain't all first rodeo folks here, i've never had that many people steal from my old workplace all at once. Maybe like 5 max but we were also much smaller than Nordstrom.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone thinks that shit like this will won't get Democrats hammered in 2022/2024, you are delusional. Republicans are going to parade this to suburban voters and show as an example what happens when Democrats hold the state and don't prosecute lower level crimes. You can see an example on what happened in VA a bit with education and crime (and admittedly terrible campaign for Dems).

And this isn't going to play only for white audiences either.
Right. I hate how this forum acts like only white suburbanites or gentrifiers clutch their pearls over crime. I come from a poor-ass area of Puerto Rico, and we fucking hated seeing theft and other crime in our areas, too. It makes people feel unsafe.

I'm actually willing to bet we referred to thieves in much harsher terms than your average white suburbanite. Where I'm from, being labeled "pillo" is one of the worst things that could happen to a person. It's regarded as one of the worst moral failings.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Damn, I lived in WC for a couple of years, as well as Concord and SF, who all got hit recently (SF being no surprise). Looks like East Bay is going through some changes.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Right. I hate how this forum acts like only white suburbanites or gentrifiers clutch their pearls over crime. I come from a poor-ass area of Puerto Rico, and we fucking hated seeing theft and other crime in our areas, too. It makes people feel unsafe.

I'm actually willing to bet we referred to thieves in much harsher terms than your average white suburbanite. Where I'm from, being labeled "pillo" is one of the worst things that could happen to a person. It's regarded as one of the worst moral failings.
Yep, this makes sense. You already see a lot of areas with majority Black and Latino population actually supporting more police presence. And again, this shit is going to play right into GOP hands during elections.