• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Omg, omg, omg. This is all I ever wanted.

"It's no Mario Kart, but it'll keep us busy until Nintendo hits the track next."
Lol that part made me wince a bit. The sequels may have been lackluster, but the original absolutely stands toe to toe with Mario Kart.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Where are people getting the idea that CTR is owned by Sony? Crash, the IP, was always owned by Universal who happened to license it to Sony in the beginning and through a series of mergers and/or acquisitions now belongs to Activision. Irrespective of the fact that Sony had the publishing rights for the original CTR (and that's presumably why their copyright appears in the legal info), this string probably takes more more precedent:

"CTR (Crash Team Racing) and related characters TM & © 1999 Universal Interactive Studios, Inc. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing, Inc. All Rights Reserved."
Good to know. Lets hope everyone regardless of platform will be able to enjoy this next year.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Day 1 download on PSN for me. Hopefully the multiplayer is online as well as couch co-op.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No? Those games have always been on PC. Get your confrontational tone outta here with me.
you didn't insist old FF games would remain console exclusive to sony?

If you're expecting VII-XII, then no because they have Sony exclusivity.
Well, Sony published FFVII and FFX. There's no exclusivity agreement. They published them.
That's rather self explanatory with those two and explains why FFVII has been console exclusive for over 20 years and FFX over 15 at this point. Most of Sonys 3rd Party games are on PC. They don't consider it as a console, because it isn't. As long as it stays only on PS consoles, PC/Mobile doesn't matter to them. Example: Nioh which is also published by Sony. Only on PS. and PC. SFV, etc.

As for FFVIII, IX, XII that has more to do with the fact Sony owned a large chunk of Square for years and years when they were in trouble after the merger. They helped them stay afloat and published FFX outside of Japan too. Obvious aside that, Sony has a long standing relationship with Square so that factors in too. For example, Dissidia was developed on PS4 architecture. Sony helped with development heavily that even the arcades run on actual PS4 architecture.

None of this is anything like the situation whatsoever with CC. But anyway, I digress.
Actually. They had an investment starting from FFVII. They paid for all the marketing and PR too, aside from publishing it. So FFVIII-FFIX and other PS1 era games also fit this bill. Also explains why those games original versions have stayed only on PS. Parasite Eve, FFT, etc.

After they bought a share of them they owned them for several years until they sold it all back because Square no longer needed the support so Sony has no need for it. It was a gesture because they helped them in their most troubled time.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/05/13/why-sony-sold-all-its-square-enix-shares-revealed
There is actual facts...which is why I stopped bothering because it's not worth the effort.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong...crash bandicoot is An Activision ip, yes but crash team racing the game itself (the title, the logo, the PS1 game itself) is a Sony is, right?

That's the last I've heard about CTR and as such, this remake will most probably only PS4 only...we'll see.
it might be, but if Acti does a full asset remake, as they did the previous games and slap on a new name, it's open game

Activision: You know, Switch owners really seem to like kart racers and Crash Trilogy sold pretty well...but this CTR remake seems a bit too risky. Better not take the chance
Spyro didn't even hit the fuckin PC. what the hell is Acti thinking?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
""It's no Mario Kart, but it'll keep us busy until Nintendo hits the track next." "

lol tom phillips, CTR was the shit, Mario Kart still didn't come close to what it offers

Hey, I think if you compare CTR with Mario Kart 64 it's a superior game but to compare it with Mario Kart 8 is unfair, it's another league completely. It has been many years.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And Sony get literally the biggest nostalgia bomb they could get and a fuckton of sales. I doubt either would be upset with that deal.

It's a bad deal If you give away one of your ips for one year exclusivity to another game. If the spyro performance on Xbox is anything to go by, they would have gotten almost the same sales anyway.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Will the whole game come on one disc or will only 3 tracks be on it and consumers have to download the rest?

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
OMG
giphy.gif

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Now this I would buy! The Crash remasterd trilogy disappointed me but I'm sure CTR is still good.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's a bad deal If you give away one of your ips for one year exclusivity to another game. If the spyro performance on Xbox is anything to go by, they would have gotten almost the same sales anyway.
It's not really their I.P, Sony would just get blocked by Activision if they ever tried to do anything with it. But using it for a massive marketing deal, makes sense to me. Timed exclusivity would just be the cherry on top.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are people getting the idea that CTR is owned by Sony? Crash, the IP, was always owned by Universal who happened to license it to Sony in the beginning and through a series of mergers and/or acquisitions now belongs to Activision. Irrespective of the fact that Sony had the publishing rights for the original CTR (and that's presumably why their copyright appears in the legal info), this string probably takes more more precedent:

"CTR (Crash Team Racing) and related characters TM & © 1999 Universal Interactive Studios, Inc. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Wait a minute so PlayStation Asia was leaking the game in the survey they did back in September, either way this game was long being rumored to be in the works.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
bash wasn't that good iirc, i hope after ctr they get to working on a true sequel to 3.

CTR and Bash could be complete different beasts these days if they implement Online Gaming and this has to be the main focus anyway because no one wants to play against the CPU anymore only.

If the CTR Rumor is true and they implement Online Matchmaking this could be huge for the Game and especially for Sony if this is PS4 Exclusive.

As long as its on the PS4 too i don't care seeing how a certain company is on a spending spree trying to buy every shit they can get these days.

Oct 27, 2017
No? Those games have always been on PC. Get your confrontational tone outta here with me.

Crash Team Racing in specific is owned by Sony. It's a Sony IP like Uncharted, Bloodborne, Spider-Man, Horizon, God of War, etc. Crash and Spyro aren't and are owned by Activision. So I don't know if a remake will constitute towards that or not.
Found the posts:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/un...ct-otter-control.66593/page-278#post-12526230

https://www.resetera.com/threads/un...ct-otter-control.66593/page-278#post-12526230

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not really their I.P, Sony would just get blocked by Activision if they ever tried to do anything with it. But using it for a massive marketing deal, makes sense to me. Timed exclusivity would just be the cherry on top.

The marketing deal was in favor of activision as well. But well if I can buy CTR next year fine.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The more I think about it, the less hype I have, I would have preferred a new entry. Even if you add it online, CTRemake would still have too few tracks and content that interests me

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
CTR and Bash could be complete different beasts these days if they implement Online Gaming.

If the CTR Rumor is true and they implement Online Matchmaking this could be huge for the Game and especially for Sony if this is PS4 Exclusive.
As long as its on the PS4 too i don't care seeing how a certain company is on a spending spree trying to buy every shit they can get these days.

One year exclusivity doesn't make sense anymore. Spyro came out on X1 on the same day as PS4. If it's only revealed as PS4 in a few days and it's mentioned Sony has involvement, then it's exclusive.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
CTR is amazing, but I can't help but feel that this was a missed opportunity. They could have instead made a CTR 2 with all of the original tracks re-done in HD much like Mario Kart, as well as make new tracks.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why are so many people itt so obsessed with the idea of this unannounced game being exclusive to ps4? it's pretty pathetic, it'll come to ps4 no matter what and it coming to other platforms won't change your experience on ps4.

It better be 60fps on everything.
original was at 30, no? i hope they target 60 for the remake.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
This is going to be amazing. My only worry is that microtransactions are possible in a kart racer unlike the Spyro and Crash remakes.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, I think if you compare CTR with Mario Kart 64 it's a superior game but to compare it with Mario Kart 8 is unfair, it's another league completely. It has been many years.

I personally believe the gameplay groundwork of CTR to be so good that it still delivers a better experience. The ability to chain turbo easily and the reliance on bumps to increase your max speed makes it so that you can use so much of the track to your advantage, not to mention the cool items and the shortcuts.

Also, CTR has a story mode, tons of things to go through, and a boatload of challenges. I still have a hard time getting into Mario Kart when the solo experience remains considerably lesser in terms of story mode. MK8D has a shitload of content, but the lack of contextualization of any of this content makes it hard to remain as engaged as I do playing CTR.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, CTR has a story mode, tons of things to go through, and a boatload of challenges. I still have a hard time getting into Mario Kart when the solo experience remains considerably lesser in terms of story mode. MK8D has a shitload of content, but the lack of contextualization of any of this content makes it hard to remain as engaged as I do playing CTR
i agree with this, mario kart really fails at creating engaging single player modes, it should be super easy considering how much they have to work with but they just don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.