• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
seems like universal owns the copyright

sony may own the code and assets, just like the trilogy, activision won't them and, just remake the game.
Sony own the game rights as well as code and assets I believe, it's one of those awkward situations where if wanted both could just keep blocking each other. But I assume they have probably came to some type of deal, as I doubt Activision would care to do a Re make if it got locked permanently to one platform.
CTR (Crash Team Racing) Game ©1999-2007 Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Developed by Naughty Dog, Inc. Source Code © Naughty Dog, Inc. CTR and Crash Team Racing and related characters ™ & ©1999-2007 Universal Interactive Studios, Inc. All rights reserved.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I personally believe the gameplay groundwork of CTR to be so good that it still delivers a better experience. The ability to chain turbo easily and the reliance on bumps to increase your max speed makes it so that you can use so much of the track to your advantage, not to mention the cool items and the shortcuts.

Also, CTR has a story mode, tons of things to go through, and a boatload of challenges. I still have a hard time getting into Mario Kart when the solo experience remains considerably lesser in terms of story mode. MK8D has a shitload of content, but the lack of contextualization of any of this content makes it hard to remain as engaged as I do playing CTR.
For me a bland story with a boring exploration of the island does not compensate but everyone has their tastes.

The resources to do something similar in Mario Kart are well used in more important things.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
why are so many people itt so obsessed with the idea of this unannounced game being exclusive to ps4? it's pretty pathetic, it'll come to ps4 no matter what and it coming to other platforms won't change your experience on ps4.
Sony literally owns the original game, people are debating if a remake would be exclusive or not, calling them pathetic over that, jeez, seems like you're worked up.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
i agree with this, mario kart really fails at creating engaging single player modes, it should be super easy considering how much they have to work with but they just don't do it.

Yeah obviously I'm speaking in the context of a solo experience to go through before playing with friends. In a pure online/couch with friends experience, MK8D is obviously the better game today.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna buy the heck out of this. So hard. My favorite kart racer of all time. Will even double dip if it comes to the Switch.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Somebody else like Crash Bash too? man i though i was alone in this world!
I played that shit a lot back then.

Also, I'll be fine playing this along with MK8D (which I have yet to get for my Switch) so I don't need to compared them. Provided this is true and there's an announcement on Thursday, of course. CTR is one of those games I just can pick up any time and have a lot of fun regardless.
I'm gonna buy the heck out of this. So hard. My favorite kart racer of all time. Will even double dip if it comes to the Switch.
Yeah I might end up doing this if it comes to Switch at a later date.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Will it be CTR or a new name, as Sony owns CTR? And if it is CTR and Sony exclusive, will Naughty Dog be involved? And if Naughty Dog is involved, could UnKarted be far off?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony literally owns the original game, people are debating if a remake would be exclusive or not, calling them pathetic over that, jeez, seems like you're worked up.
some people are explaining why they think it will be exclusive, some are very obviously hoping that it is.
i'm not worked up at all

Sony own the game rights as well as code and assets I believe, it's one of those awkward situations where if wanted both could just keep blocking each other. But I assume they have probably came to some type of deal, as I doubt Activision would care to do a Re make if it got locked permanently to one platform.
i don't see them bothering with a remake either if it has to be exclusive to a single platform. i can see a deal happening like the last time, giving sony timed exclusivity.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018

Many overly defensive and insecure people here. Best to just ignore them and move on with your day. Not worth your time.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
KOMODO MINES ONLY
HOT AIR ONLY
COCO PARK ONLY
PAPUS PYRAMID ONLY

NO MORE BAD KART RACERS GOOD GOD THE GOD IS BACK
Hot air was really damn cool. I always prefered how heavy the karts felt compared to Mario kart but otherwise I dunno if I would call it necessarily better, just different.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
WOAH!
maxresdefault.jpg
I will be a sad Bandicoot if they don't add this reference into the game. And no, I haven't played N Sane Trilogy yet.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't see them bothering with a remake either if it has to be exclusive to a single platform. but you're right, i can see a deal happening, maybe like the last time, giving sony timed exclusivity.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Will it be CTR or a new name, as Sony owns CTR? And if it is CTR and Sony exclusive, will Naughty Dog be involved? And if Naughty Dog is involved, could UnKarted be far off?

That's interesting. There were rumblings Naughty Dog has been working on something else aside TloU PII, who knows. Again though, this is a remake so I don't know how that works and if the fact that it's a different game, maybe different name as you said might allow them to get away with it, but Sony still owns the IP at the end of the day so that's where it gets muddy. It's like saying remaking Uncharted, which Sony owns the IP, yet the remake can also be on other platforms aside PlayStation...which doesn't make much sense. Guess we'll find out in a few days.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
If they nail the core gameplay, I'm in so hard. And they'd better have some chunky engine/boost sounds, not that whirry crap they had in Nitro Kart. NK's sound design let it down so hard.

Gonna miss some of the unintentional secret shortcuts though. On Hot Air Skyway, if you landed against a barrier just right, Aku-Aku/Uka-Uka would return you to the opposite side of the barrier, skipping a 3rd of the track. But if you messed up your attempts, it would cost you a lot of time, and you'd have to eventually land the shortcut to make up for it.

Byakura

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
After how well the N.Sane Trilogy did this was always more of a not if but when situation but still HELL YES CAN"T WAIT. CTR is still one of my favourite PS1 games.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Where are people getting the idea that CTR is owned by Sony? Crash, the IP, was always owned by Universal who happened to license it to Sony in the beginning and through a series of mergers and/or acquisitions now belongs to Activision. Irrespective of the fact that Sony had the publishing rights for the original CTR (and that's presumably why their copyright appears in the legal info), this string probably takes more more precedent:

"CTR (Crash Team Racing) and related characters TM & © 1999 Universal Interactive Studios, Inc. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing, Inc. All Rights Reserved."
Universal always owned Crash but CTR wasn't part of the initial three game deal they made with Sony, Sony approached them afterwards to make it happen because Naughty Dog wanted one last hurrah with Crash (at least from what I remember). By all accounts, Sony does have some kind of ownership over it, which is probably why Vivendi never made a CTR2, they just went with Crash Nitro Kart instead.

My understanding of the situation is Activision owns the CTR IP but Sony owns the actual game (as in the design, story, etc), so I don't think they can just remake it without working something out with Sony.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
i don't see them bothering with a remake either if it has to be exclusive to a single platform. but you're right, i can see a deal happening, maybe like the last time, giving sony timed exclusivity.
I could also just see them doing something like Jak or whoever is a exclusive character to the PS4 version or something, which I'd love way more than a shitty timed exclusivity deal.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I personally believe the gameplay groundwork of CTR to be so good that it still delivers a better experience. The ability to chain turbo easily and the reliance on bumps to increase your max speed makes it so that you can use so much of the track to your advantage, not to mention the cool items and the shortcuts.

Same. I've never played another Kart racer that has felt as fun or satisfying on a core level as CTR. I really hope they can recapture it in the remake.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Universal always owned Crash but CTR wasn't part of the initial three game deal they made with Sony, Sony approached them afterwards to make it happen because Naughty Dog wanted one last hurrah with Crash (at least from what I remember). By all accounts, Sony does have some kind of ownership over it, which is probably why Vivendi never made a CTR2, they just went with Crash Nitro Kart instead.

My understanding of the situation is Activision owns the CTR IP but Sony owns the actual game (as in the design, story, etc), so I don't think they can just remake it without working something out with Sony.

If true this most likely means IF Activision is doing a Crash racer they will simply remaster Crash Nitro Kart or release a new version under the CNK name. I don't see them calling it Crash Team Racing as that would necessitate Sony's involvement/permission/exclusiveness.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
some people are explaining why they think it will be exclusive, some are very obviously hoping that it is.
i'm not worked up at all

i don't see them bothering with a remake either if it has to be exclusive to a single platform. i can see a deal happening like the last time, giving sony timed exclusivity.

What if Sony paid the whole development? We don't know what's going on if this game is real.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could also just see them doing something like Jak or whoever is a exclusive character to the PS4 version or something, which I'd love way more than a shitty timed exclusivity deal.
that's an interesting idea too, give the ps4 version some exclusive content in exchange for it coming to other platforms.
at the end, even if sony owns the game and the name they can't do anything with it since they don't own the crash name, so it's best to work out a dead that's beneficial to both.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If true this most likely means IF Activision is doing a Crash racer they will simply remaster Crash Nitro Kart or release a new version under the CNK name. I don't see them calling it Crash Team Racing as that would necessitate Sony's involvement/permission/exclusiveness.
Which would be a mistake since the original CTR is the one which was popular and loved.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original CTR is owned by Sony, if it's a remake then they have to go through Sony first.

Naughty Dog owned a lot of CB 1-3 that was used to make the remakes.

This deal has been made years ago to make the crash remakes happen to begin with. I would be shocked if CTR wasn't part of that deal as well as anythint to do with spyro Sony might have had.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if Sony paid the whole development? We don't know what's going on if this game is real.
it's not like activision doesn't have money. after the crazy success of the trilogy (it's still charting more than a year after release) and them making it multiplat, it's obvious activision has more plans to grow the series after they pretty much rebooted it. at this point it doesn't make sense to make their next step an exclusive game, because whatever they have planned after that will be multiplat too. it will be a misstep and a waste of resources to create an exclusive entry in a multiplat series you want to grow.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's not like activision doesn't have money. after the crazy success of the trilogy (it's still charting more than a year after release) and them making it multiplat, it's obvious activision has more plans to grow the series after they pretty much rebooted it. at this point it doesn't make sense to make their next step an exclusive game, because whatever they have planned after that will be multiplat too. it will be a misstep and a waste of resources to create an exclusive entry in a multiplat series you want to grow.

Activision doesn't need money from Crash lol, have you heard about that little game called Call of Duty?
Also give me MK8 DLC doritos pope, karting games are awesome!

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Then they should make a complete new entry, but iam not hopeful that activision is capable of doing a great new crash game on their own.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
...I will keep calm for now. Don't hype myself up too much because it's still only rumoured and no garunteed.

...But man, Crash Team Racing is my go to Kart Racer. It would be amazing if it actually is getting remade.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, this is gonna be good. Crash Team Racing still holds up very well to this day, now I'll have to buy that crystal blue DS4 for that ultimate nostalgia flash when CTR releases, just need a big discount though, not gonna pay 80 local bucks for it.

After Spyro and Crash it was just a matter of time for a CTR remake, here we are now!

Status
Not open for further replies.