• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Origins 3 or Fusions 2 pls. Legacy of Garbage can stay dead.

Funfact about this underrated gem Monolith Soft before being aquired by Nintendo were actually the developers of this. It's such a shame they teased a sequel but it never ended up getting developed.
Monolith developed that game AFTER being adquired by Nintendo. The same team kept working with Bamco on the SRT OG Saga: Endless Frontier series and later Project X Zone series.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yup ,beerus is a cutscene fight

Freeza has minions but they dont fight goku and vegeta

Tournament

Goku black does not have minions

And the top could work with 70 people to fight

Broly doesnt have minions

Guess freeza foece for broly too

Yeah not very good

Pretty much. There's also like zero adventure and globetrotting, which at least MOST of the Z arcs had in some form. Super's arcs are all "guy shows up, one long prolonged fight scene" or "tournament".

If only they had recently had a livestream to announce things about Dragon Ball games so that it all wouldn't just be announced through twitter...

Namco's Japanese branch clearly wanted to announce this stuff first and wouldn't let Namco Europe do it for them.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Remake this game with updated dialogue, graphics and menus and run the story all the way to the Buu arc.

Dragonball-Z-2.jpg

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
damn. as I'm reading through this thread, it's telling me I should really go back and play Legacy of Goku and Attack of the Saiyans. (Never played them)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
damn. as I'm reading through this thread, it's telling me I should really go back and play Legacy of Goku and Attack of the Saiyans. (Never played them)

Skip Legacy of Goku 1. The first game is really really bad, but the second one is improved enough to be playable. It's still not a good game, but it's playable.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Of all the types of Dragon Ball games that could be coming right now, this is the most appealing to me. Can't wait to see more. :)

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Legacy of Goku 2 was my jam as a kid. What a sequel.

I really hope this is the start of a wave of good Dragon Ball games.

Oct 27, 2017
Remake this game with updated dialogue, graphics and menus and run the story all the way to the Buu arc.

Dragonball-Z-2.jpg
If this is the card game RPG, I would love a remake. Why not toss another card game into the ocean of card games (being facetious, I did like that game, for what its worth having played it in Japanese and not understanding the language of the dialog at all).

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It would be pretty tough to do an RPG that covers all of Z AND Super, and even if they did, Super would make a terrible framework for an RPG.
Z isn't much better for an ARPG, both would require lots of changes.
It shouldn't be a retelling of the series in the first place though, they should have done an original plot set sometime after the TOP.

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The dream is that this will go through Heroes' storylines. Those are infinitely more interesting than Super's.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It would be pretty tough to do an RPG that covers all of Z AND Super, and even if they did, Super would make a terrible framework for an RPG.
Super has plenty of space for an RPG. The beginning of the game is just the Son Goku & Friends Return plot with remnants of Frieza's army coming to Earth, but Goku & Co are too busy having a party, so Goten and Trunks adventure across whereever, fighting the dudes until they run into Tarble, who they bring back to Vegeta and the group until those two brothers show up. Then the rest of the movie plays out.

Afterward, there's random fights between gangs and other martial artists because it's a video game, and then Beerus shows up, and Battle of The Gods starts. Moving on to Ressurection F is even easier since an alien invasion provides plenty of fodder enemies, and boss fights for the entire cast up until everyone fights Frieza, gets beaten up, and Goku and Vegeta return. Ginyu will get a buff and the red dude stays alive just so Goku and Vegeta have an excuse to still fight as a team until they do their one on one thing.

I could go on and on, but essentially, there's plenty of gaps in all of the arcs to provide traditional RPG fights and sidequests, especially if you add in the filler. Hell, a game could effortlessly expand out the Copy-Vegeta saga and someone could easily find an excuse as for why Goku Black would have some henchmen. Maybe some godly Saibamen or some bullshit.

The two tournaments would be the hardest thing, but even Xenogears had a tournament arc so I'm sure they'd manage.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Super has plenty of space for an RPG. The beginning of the game is just the Son Goku & Friends Return plot with remnants of Frieza's army coming to Earth, but Goku & Co are too busy having a party, so Goten and Trunks adventure across whereever, fighting the dudes until they run into Tarble, who they bring back to Vegeta and the group until those two brothers show up. Then the rest of the movie plays out.

Afterward, there's random fights between gangs and other martial artists because it's a video game, and then Beerus shows up, and Battle of The Gods starts. Moving on to Ressurection F is even easier since an alien invasion provides plenty of fodder enemies, and boss fights for the entire cast up until everyone fights Frieza, gets beaten up, and Goku and Vegeta return. Ginyu will get a buff and the red dude stays alive just so Goku and Vegeta have an excuse to still fight as a team until they do their one on one thing.

I could go on and on, but essentially, there's plenty of gaps in all of the arcs to provide traditional RPG fights and sidequests, especially if you add in the filler. Hell, a game could effortlessly expand out the Copy-Vegeta saga and someone could easily find an excuse as for why Goku Black would have some henchmen. Maybe some godly Saibamen or some bullshit.

The two tournaments would be the hardest thing, but even Xenogears had a tournament arc so I'm sure they'd manage.
Yeah, the Z arcs have to be adjusted anyways too, otherwise it's almost entirely just fighting a few specific individuals. You look at games like the Legacy of Goku series and Sagas and they had to invent mooks for you to fight on your way to the bosses and have side stuff that they make up to fill some gaps, the same could be done with Super. I don't think the ToP would be too much of an issue, but the U6 tournament would probably have to be a very short part of an ARPG.
Also yeah, a Copy Vegeta side quest where you fight goop versions of other enemies would work well.
I think they could also come up with some dumb shit about Black having somehow corrupted animals/creatures and maybe he has some mortal followers who agree with his ideals or something.
Hopefully if this game is good they do a sequel focused on Super. As for what DLC this game could have I think some of the Z movies are perfect little bit sized chunks that could work.

Sep 12, 2018
this dragon ball renaissance has been the best thing to happen in my life for a long time holy fuck. this could be good

NewportShort

Jan 14, 2019
I think the action RPG label is just a reminder that even Budokai 3's story mode was an action RPG in that your stats grew and you earned/rearranged special moves .
I wouldn't forget this and take the "RPG" label too seriously.

Let's also not forget DBZ is Action RPG: The Anime. It's literally all about learning new moves and leveling up to brutalize your enemies and spar with each other and move really fast etc.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
V-Jump scans aren't out yet, but apparently there is a screen shot of the game from the beginning of Z when Goku takes Gohan to Roshi's in the magazine.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
If this is the card game RPG, I would love a remake. Why not toss another card game into the ocean of card games (being facetious, I did like that game, for what its worth having played it in Japanese and not understanding the language of the dialog at all).

Dragonball-Z-2.jpg

I'm pretty sure I played this game in Japanese and spent an insane amount of time playing it, I had no understanding of what was being said but it was DBZ and I could remember what card with japanese characters did what attack etc. And like most RPG's back then I got lost with no way of knowing where to go I was was too over leveled because I had to fight random encounters at every lost step haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm burned out on open worlds, but I would legitmately adore being able to sail around the skies as the Z fighters between all of the key locations on earth during the most memorable arcs.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
The best part of this game is that you can actually keep Tien, Yamcha and Chiaotzu alive all the way to Frieza and then let Frieza kill Chiaotzu and Goku will go Super Saiyan because of it.

I don't like that to be honest. I wish they kept that part faithful to the series in that Krillin has to be killed by Frieza to allow Goku turn SSJ, as a bonus, maybe include in Gohan. I just don't see Goku going crazy losing anyone else.

Loved this game though. I'd actually say I have more fond memories of this game over Attack of the Saiyans, though objectively I believe the latter is a better game. Really dig the whole power ratings replacing traditional rpg stats. It's fun grinding levels and watching the power ratings grow. Also Legacy of Goku 1 was terrible, but the sequel is such a massive improvement, definitely worth checking out.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
So is there any idea when the scans are gonna drop abd this is unusual most dbz are announced in the super wonder why its so early? Maybe to catch that broly hype etc anyway im hella excited

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
ROSSxLv.jpg

I wonder what graphic style they'll go for. I'd prefer Fighter Z. Burst Limit being a close second. Love the pupil effect for Super Saiyans in that game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark

Dragonball-Z-2.jpg
I'm honestly tired of how safe the DB franchise is in gaming with always just retelling stories we know from the show. If they were truly bold, now that Super had its run, they would recognize that what we all need is the next anime season post Dragon Ball Z or even Super happening as a 100 hour JRPG full of further character development of old characters and a handful of new characters including a new saiyan protagonist who abandoned their former planet.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
ROSSxLv.jpg

I wonder what graphic style they'll go for. I'd prefer Fighter Z. Burst Limit being a close second. Love the pupil effect for Super Saiyans in that game.
Doubt they'd go for either ti be honest with every game the change the art direction but a mix of burst limit in it im sold whatever it is i hope its not a shitty reskin dynasty warriors with stats