• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So excited about this, I really hope other cities join in. The current police are not salvageable and need to be torn down before we can see real change.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
So... what's going to prevent the same bullshit from reoccurring? What are they going to change in the system to prevent the same blockages and issues?
yep. it's not enough to just shuffle new people in who will stay low a bit then just revert back. The entire format of how it functions needs a revamp and FAR more oversight. And No guns.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
The mayor was asked to abolish the police, to which he said no. This also doesn't defund the police.

How exactly does one rebuild a police department without funding?
The idea, roughly as I've seen, is to divert funds to other social services to prevent the root causes of crime while police as we know them are much more restricted in what they deal with.

Oct 25, 2017
So... what's going to prevent the same bullshit from reoccurring? What are they going to change in the system to prevent the same blockages and issues?

From the Bloomberg article on Camden: "The department adopted an 18-page use-of-force policy in 2019, developed with New York University's Policing Project. The rules emphasize that de-escalation has to come first. Deadly force—such as a chokehold or firing a gun—can only be used in certain situations, once every other tactic has been exhausted."

"An officer who sees a colleague violating the edict must intervene; the department can fire any officer it finds acted out of line. By the department's account, reports of excessive force complaints in Camden have dropped 95% since 2014."

0x03

Oct 25, 2017
Importantly, whatever entity is formed after the dissolution of the police department would presumably have to re-unionize and renegotiate a contract. This gives the city leverage to implement more accountability from the start, versus trying to negotiate reform within an existing framework.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
So do people think other progressive cities will try this too or will everyone wait and see how this plays out first?

ponzies

Oct 28, 2017
LETS GOOOO!

Two down, countless more to go!

They'll probably look at Camden, NJ as a model.

The header says "reform" but the actual title says "remade" which is way more accurate:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...den-new-jersey-reformed-its-police-department

They defunded and dissolved their local PD and completely replaced it. And what do you know? Crime went waaaaaay down, and they've had super peaceful demonstrations this past week. I'm glad more papers and news orgs are holding them up as an example to follow.

The new Police force, Camden County, has over 100 more officers than the former Camden City Police Department. Add almost 50% more Police officers to any Police force and crime should drop by a lot.

www.nj.com

Two years of the Camden County Police Department: By the numbers

Friday marked the two-year anniversary of the Camden County Police Department taking over public safety responsibilities from the former Camden City police.

395: Total number of Camden County police officers as of May 1, 2015.

401: The number of officers officials said was their ultimate goal in 2013.

270: The approximate number of officers in the former Camden City Police at the time of Mayor Dana Redd's August 2012 announcement that the department would be disbanded.

200: The number Camden City officers just before the changeover on May 1, 2013.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new Police force, Camden County, has over 100 more officers than the former Camden City police force. Add almost 50% more Police officers to any Police force and crime should drop by a lot.

www.nj.com

Friday marked the two-year anniversary of the Camden County Police Department taking over public safety responsibilities from the former Camden City police.

They are also paid less and they dramatically shaped it towards a community policing model. More doesn't mean bad necessarily.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
The new Police force, Camden County, has over 100 more officers than the former Camden City police force. Add almost 50% more offices to any Police force and crime should drop by a lot.

www.nj.com

And yet excess force complaints against the Camden police dropped 95% which, to me, is the most important stat to look at it.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This is a solution I was thinking about but the logistics of replacing almost everyone felt like it would be challenge. I hope and wish them luck to transition gracefully.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yet excess force complaints against the Camden police dropped 95% which, to me, is the most important stat to look at it.

Right. It is a community policing model and training is for actual peace keeping, not being scared little bitches and just beating the shit out of people and cuffing them.

My wife's ex is a cop. He dropped off old artwork of hers a couple weeks ago literally right before all this popped off, and he's like yeah the squad car is all busted up from smashing people against the car. It was like, cool, I guess.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The idea, roughly as I've seen, is to divert funds to other social services to prevent the root causes of crime while police as we know them are much more restricted in what they deal with.
I'm not arguing against that. Police in some form will always exist though. Youth programs, harm minimization and community work are obviously far more effective than police work, however there is obviously a requirement for some level of law enforcement, regardless of what name you want to apply to it.

There are many police forces worldwide that while flawed, have nowhere near the death toll or militarization that police departments in the US do.

The idea of defunding or abolishing, is either a complete and utter messaging failure if it doesn't mean what the words say, or completely unachievable. That's why IMO with the video of Frey is largely counter-productive. No mayor would ever agree to the terms abolish or defund the police, because it means their complete removal and absence of law enforcement.

Drastic changes are required to law enforcement, especially in the US. Breaking it down and rebuilding it from the ground up when it comes to leadership, ethos, powers and training makes absolute sense, the complete absence of it is not an answer.

Look what up? An inaccurate catch-phrase?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dismantling their police department? Good shit. Hoping more cities follow

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Citizens are already protecting their city.

www.youtube.com

After nights of violence in Minneapolis, locals take up arms to defend their community

In the aftermath of George Floyd's death, a neighborhood group in north Minneapolis, backed by the local NAACP chapter, is patrolling the streets to prevent ...

Thank you for posting this, made my night. Incredible watch, and I salute and wish everyone involved rebuilding their community all the best. God bless them.

Oct 27, 2017
So this means they will have no police force or they are starting over completely?
Likely starting over, with a preventative focus, new bylaws, and likely even if you were a former cop, you'd have to interview like everyone else.

Edit: As someone else said, I would love if the new force doesn't even have the word "Police". Call them Rangers, or Guards or something less tainted.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
My girl knows the people who are behind this. They were going to try it in St. Paul before the protests. Mayor Carter didn't want to do it.

It is an entire system y'all. The deployment, the hiring, the training, the funding, the interconnection with other emergency services. It is a ground up proposal.

This is really the real deal. Minneapolis is about to show how it should be done in the United States.
Can't wait to see what they roll out. Hopefully it has some good results and catches on elsewhere.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
The police department is being disbanded outright, and replaced with some new system? This outcome is beyond what I expected when the protests were first starting. This is seriously impressive.

I hope this, or something like it, catches on and becomes a trend. I could use some large-scale good news right about now.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
If you can't be arsed to do the research yourself there's zero point to continue engaging with you.
I've done research and I'm well aware of the position. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people do not know what abolish or defund mean in this context and you're expecting a mayor to say he will take that action.

If a mayor says they will abolish or defund (ie cease funding, not reduce budget) the police, what do you think that actually says? That is what he was asked in that protest before unceremoniously getting walked.

I don't actually disagree with rebuilding from the ground up and changing the power and purpose of law enforcement, which is what it actually means. That does actually cost money though.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Other cities will be looking at Minneapolis to see what happens there now. They're going to be the experiment for other cities basically. Hopefully it leads the way to more cities starting over the police from scratch.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that an alternative is too difficult to comprehend and we need to everything detailed before any action occurs is exactly why the shittiest of systematic status-quo has been in place for so long.

They're not just kicking all the cops to curb over night and declaring marshall law from now on. The current entire system is clearly and absolutely broken and needs change as immediately as possible.
Exactly this. So much defeatism before we've even tried anything.

Not really a catalyst for change if you're saying you've been defeated or stopped before you've even started.
This is fantastic.

What are the odds that the police union will try their hardest to stonewall this?

What are the odds that some of these council members suddenly die in "accidents"?

1) 1000% chance

2) a greater than 0% chance

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Citizens are already protecting their city.

www.youtube.com

After nights of violence in Minneapolis, locals take up arms to defend their community

In the aftermath of George Floyd's death, a neighborhood group in north Minneapolis, backed by the local NAACP chapter, is patrolling the streets to prevent ...

I am one of them. Ready to roll on reports of any bullshit. Haven't been getting much sleep but I'll keep it up as long as I need. Actually just rolled up on some NG dudes and asked how they were doing if they needed anything and let them know I was rolling around. They were appreciative.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Recall everyone that areas of New Jersey disbanded there police force a few years ago.

www.governing.com

Why Camden, N.J., the Murder Capital of the Country, Disbanded Its Police Force

In hopes of reducing the city's high crime rate, Camden, N.J., made a controversial and unprecedented move a year ago to replace its police force.

And Northern Ireland disbanded their police nearly two decades ago.

Redirect Notice

This can happen and can lead to change.

No one is saying we don't need law enforcement, what we are saying is that we don't need racist assholes being our law enforcement.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
What do those who aren't police officers think?
Things like "Oh Trump will win Minnesora now", that it will descend into total chaos, that liberals are crazies who don't want law enforcement at all, etc.

The first one is particularly dumb because the police likely won't be actually disbanded this year. The idea that they will disband the police before the replacement is ready, which will take some time (Minneapolis gov't moves like molasses tbh), is completely absurd. Also Minneapolis has only 400k people in a state with over 5 million people, it probably won't affect much anyways.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Likely starting over, with a preventative focus, new bylaws, and likely even if you were a former cop, you'd have to interview like everyone else.

Edit: As someone else said, I would love if the new force doesn't even have the word "Police". Call them Rangers, or Guards or something less tainted.
Guardians would be cool, this new group is supposed to guard and protect the people. Not beat up people.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is a tremendous move, but I have zero faith that it will be copied by enough cities and towns to matter.

I don't mean to be a downer, but there are just too many people in too many cities that support the police for it to be a feasible move by the local politicians. They would be crucified in many places for even suggesting the idea.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
this is wow... sounds awesome but no police department? hm i'm confused on how this would actually work...there is still a lot of assholes and criminals out there..