• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I think before judging these people who dedicated their life to do these jobs we should all admit we're all message boards dwellers assholes who don't what the fuck we're talking about.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
I can understand the sensitivity. It does seem like she had been working on this for a long time and probably has some credibility on the project. It's a tough case and as a white guy I'm inclined to listen to the voices of those with more of a vested interest. If I worked on something for years and had it taken away because of race or cultural reasons I would feel some resentment but she must understand the various forces at play. She seems qualified but I don't think that's the only thing that matters in this specific case. as I said, tough one.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
It mostly sounds like she's largely responsible for this even existing since this is the type of stuff she's been working on for the Smithsonian for over a decade. I really don't see why the person who was doing the work to make this exhibit a reality shouldn't also be the one in charge of curating it.

This is all too often true in the musem/library world. Huge academic requirements and shit pay is really effective at making people not want to work there.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

I don't know how the museum advertised and interviewed for this role but this is such a stupid argument.

Just because you are part of 'group x' doesn't mean you inherently know more about context, culture and historical placement of said group/topic.

Sure, you don't have the same (or first hand) experience of being part of that group, but experience isn't knowledge.

I'd like to think someone who has studied a topic to a phd level or beyond would have more knowledge of historical context and precedent than someone uneducated in 'group x'...

You could argue that minority groups (be they black, lgbtq+, Hispanic or whatever) aren't getting the chance to do that level of education and I think that's valid and the real argument.

We need to focus on real injustices and systematic failures, not silly sideshows like this.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how the museum advertised and interviewed for this role but this is such a stupid argument.

Just because you are part of 'group x' doesn't mean you inherently know more about context, culture and historical placement of said group/topic.

Sure, you don't have the same (or first hand) experience of being part of that group, but experience isn't knowledge.

I'd like to think someone who has studied a topic to a phd level or beyond would have more knowledge of historical context and precedent than someone uneducated in 'group x'...

You could argue that minority groups (be they black, lgbtq+, Hispanic or whatever) aren't getting the chance to do that level of education and I think that's valid and the real argument.

We need to focus on real injustices and systematic failures, not silly sideshows like this.
If I studied and immersed myself with Asian American culture my entire life, I sure the fuck would step aside to not lead a museum exhibit. This has to do with selflessness beyond just being qualified.

His argument IS that minority people aren't getting the chance. LGBT people don't get chances when straight people play them or decide to curate their museum exhibits. that's the point.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
maybe she will do a good job?

ARRpBbx.gif
/ thread

Lol. There is no fitting gif

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

White people cannot be experts on black cultural EXPERIENCES. Fuck history, you can open a book and read history. She cannot speak to cultural experiences with authority over a black person with similar credentials.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's a tough one, really, if all of this is basically her work. I'm not qualified enough to judge, seems more complex than meets the eye.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Well said.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are really underestimating what it takes to be a curator. This isn't just being knowledgeable about a subject.

Also like some have said, who applied, who did they reach out to.

Her resume is impressive... She already have Smithsonian experience.

Knowing it's a govt position, it could have been internal only.

It's alot of variables to just jump to oh hell naw.

Dec 2, 2017
I wish I could write that I am surprised about the amount of "well, if she is qualified.." responses in this thread.

Anyway, this is just your daily reminder that systemic racism is ingrained in just about every aspect of society.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This woman is the reason why hip hop was taken in count at the Smithsonian. Yet she's not qualified for this position because of her skin color.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
White people cannot be experts on black cultural EXPERIENCES. Fuck history, you can open a book and read history. She cannot speak to cultural experiences with authority over a black person with similar credentials.

I'm curious what will happen in the future. In 300 years black people will be far removed and never experienced hip hop culture of today. Does the skin color divide still stand? I would think it racist to say assume a black person couldn't curate a Museum on Mozart.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could write that I am surprised about the amount of "well, if she is qualified.." responses in this thread.

Anyway, this is just your daily reminder that systemic racism is ingrained in just about every aspect of society.
But she's not like that. I mean for one this whole thing is basically her life work, and second of all she was hired by a mostly blacks staff made of really really smart African American people.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it will be like war museum exhibits where instead of old veterans walking around talking to people they will have old rappers.

*Canibus approaches* "Hey guys welcome to the exhibit."

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

This pretty much summed what I've been wanting to say, but probably in a better and less-likely-to-be-perceived inflammatory way.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what will happen in the future. In 300 years black people will be far removed and never experienced hip hop culture of today. Does the skin color divide still stand? I would think it racist to say assume a black person couldn't curate a Museum on Mozart.

I wasn't aware Mozart made music with a white idententarian lens

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
vox girl changed my mind about white women and hip hop
But this is another issue

Oct 27, 2017
While hip hop is largely tied to black culture, it isn't necessarily black culture, so I don't see why the position should have someone black. If she's knowledgeable, and credibly so, I don't see the problem with this

This is akin to people questioning Reza Aslan speaking about Christianity, simply because he isn't one, ignoring the fact he has a PhD in the field and is more authoritative than the people doubting him

Dec 12, 2017

I'm sorry but this post is BS. It's really really getting old hearing non blacks determining what's important for us and what isn't. You calling this a silly sideshow is so out of touch that it's oppressive in itself.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017

I guess that Jewish Community Center is pretty racist, huh?
/s

like jesus christ, people acting like other people can't comment on why they wouldn't take jobs in other peoples spaces. If indigenous communities in australia got upset over a white person leading their exhibit over one of their community, it did make complete sense.

stop this

it's super embarrassing seeing all the people in here dragging the museum itself
the smithsonian is ran by white people. i'm sorry to break it to you but yeah, it kinda is.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
A white person can be an expert on the subject matter. Her job is to know what works influenced the industry over time to arrange them in the allotted space, to be knowledgeable about the historical importance of the works on display if anyone asks.

Anyone who does their homework should be qualified for a history exhibit. I'd guarantee she knows more about it than 99% of the people in the world if she landed the job.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Who would win:

Lonnie G. Bunch II, Founding director of the Smithsonian, an african american man who's a prolific and widely published author, $ has written on topics ranging from the black military experience, the American presidency and all-black towns in the American West to diversity in museum management and the impact of funding and politics on American museums

or

some dudes on the internet who learned about it 30 minutes ago

I really think we should at least acknowledge our ignorance on such complicated topics if we want to talk about it seriously. Be humble. Otherwise we're just shouting random shit at each other without any significance.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I always hesitant about minority stuff being interpreted by majority. You might listen to "fuck the police", but do you have the emotional context accurately dissect the words.

Plus white people doing "this is what they are saying" will never be a good look

Deleted member 20295

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Considering all shes done for the museum and the exhibit (after reading up on it) - good on her, she deserves the position.

Hopefully she isn't chased out of the position (but who are we kidding on this one, of course she will be).

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who would win:

Lonnie G. Bunch II, Founding director of the Smithsonian, an african american man who's a prolific and widely published author, $ has written on topics ranging from the black military experience, the American presidency and all-black towns in the American West to diversity in museum management and the impact of funding and politics on American museums

or

some dudes on the internet who learned about it 30 minutes ago

I really think we should at least acknowledge our ignorance on such complicated topics if we want to talk about it seriously. Be humble. Otherwise we're just shouting random shit at each other without any significance.

She got the cosign cause shes legit. People want to ignore this fact tho

Status
Not open for further replies.