Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, to each their own of course, but I personally am not a fan at all of actually chasing the monster around in the connecting paths. Sliding around is novel and so is the sliding attack, but I'd rather have the loading screen towards the next proper arena tbh, fight the monster proper in setpieces made for fighting, put a ramp in the arena if they really want to preserve the sliding attack. Monsters fighting each other isn't a bad change either, but that moment where that one monster does that elaborate attack on the other monster, that's really cool the first time you see it, every time after it's just downtime where trying to hit the monster is a bad idea. Same for some of the world events, it's a cute big damage moment, but what it also is is a lot of downtime where I'm not smacking the monster with my weapon. To some these are really cool moments every time it happens, to me it just feels like downtime.

I'm not saying it's bad, and they really should elaborate on it in the sequels. I'm just saying if they're going to do a seperate series on the Switch I would much prefer it if we didn't have that stuff there, so some of us purists can have a experience that's more focused on smacking the monsters ourselves instead of having these concealed cutscenes do it for us.

No more fucking loading screens. That's all I have to say. I'd rather chase a monster for 15 minutes than deal with that archaic crap.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, to each their own of course, but I personally am not a fan at all of actually chasing the monster around in the connecting paths. Sliding around is novel and so is the sliding attack, but I'd rather have the loading screen towards the next proper arena tbh, fight the monster proper in setpieces made for fighting, put a ramp in the arena if they really want to preserve the sliding attack. Monsters fighting each other isn't a bad change either, but that moment where that one monster does that elaborate attack on the other monster, that's really cool the first time you see it, every time after it's just downtime where trying to hit the monster is a bad idea. Same for some of the world events, it's a cute big damage moment, but what it also is is a lot of downtime where I'm not smacking the monster with my weapon. To some these are really cool moments every time it happens, to me it just feels like downtime.

I'm not saying it's bad, and they really should elaborate on it in the sequels. I'm just saying if they're going to do a seperate series on the Switch I would much prefer it if we didn't have that stuff there, so some of us purists can have a experience that's more focused on smacking the monsters ourselves instead of having these concealed cutscenes do it for us.

The fact that you want to chase monsters between loading screens again.... how even

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

You want to bring loading screens back?! Good lord.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I do. Not really the point I'm trying to make here.
I feel like it's not anymore downtime than the mounting system (in World that is; mounting was always downtime in 4U). You can keep trying to hit the monster (which is not a bad idea at all), or you can take advantage of the free opportunity to heal/sharpen. It's your choice.

I'd understand if, say, turf wars frequently happened, but you almost never see more than one a hunt.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
???

If anything, drop-in/drop-out multiplayer is perfect for short sessions that people keep saying define handheld gaming.
How would you be able to do this on the go through? Unless you mean just local multi. And we know making this dependant on local play would make this a single player experience pretty much everywhere but Japan.

I have a feeling that a MH Switch game is going to have a different focus than online features.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You want to bring loading screens back?! Good lord.

I think it's less about loading screens (which are about 1-2 seconds long in recent entries) and more about separated zones, which take away a bunch of the running around that's present in World.

Though I personally like MHW's seamless environments. I still get where some fans are coming from though.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I'd prefer Capcom to port it themselves. They have the authority to make bih changes that would benefit the game ig they wang to the game, like adding lan play and making the game all around more offline friendly. A porthouse would most likely just try to port over everythin without any big changes.

Also, isn't the game using Capcoms own MT Framework engine? I seem to recall them being pretty protective over that engine.

Oct 26, 2017
How would you be able to do this on the go through? Unless you mean just local multi. And we know making this dependant on local play would make this a single player experience pretty much everywhere but Japan.

I have a feeling that a MH Switch game is going to have a different focus than online features.
Why would that matter? On the go doesn't only mean on a bus ride, a train, outside or anything like that. It also includes being able to take it with you and able to play as conveniently as you want, whether it be in certain areas of your house, on campus, at a friend's place, etc. I think people would understand that they can't play online without WiFi. How else do you think people are playing Splatoon 2 or any other online game on the Switch? :P

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Why would that matter? On the go doesn't only mean on a bus ride, a train, outside or anything like that. It also includes being able to take it with you and able to play as conveniently as you want, whether it be in certain areas of your house, on campus, at a friend's place, etc. I think people would understand that they can't play online without WiFi. How else do you think people are playing Splatoon 2 or any other online game on the Switch? :P
Yeah, I guess that's true. I've never attempted to play Splatoon 2 on the go but if that's what folks are doing it does explain all of those 3 vs 4 matches I end up in :P

Oct 25, 2017
One question, did you play some older games? Because there are plenty of benefits of the loading screens compared to what we have now.

Benefits like being thrown into the next area by an attack/tail attack or monsters sometimes even just sitting right where the zone ends? There was no benefits there I'm sorry. It was archaic and it was finally fixed for the better.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Benefits like being thrown into the next area by an attack/tail attack or monsters sometimes even just sitting right where the zone ends? There was no benefits there I'm sorry. It was archaic and it was finally fixed for the better.
Apparently some people need to heal and sharpen so often that it's not possible without leaving the zone.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
One other thing that I could see holding back the potential for a Switch port is the nature of MHW's PS4 Japanese exclusivity. If it's a timed exclusivity thing, then maybe it would be somewhat worth Capcom's time to either port World themselves or let Iron Galaxy do it (who Capcom does have a positive history with, namely with games like SFIII Third Strike: Online Edition). But if Sony's exclusivity over MHW in Japan is indefinite, then that would take away much of the justification for Capcom to even attempt to port MHW to the Switch. Sure, the Switch is doing well worldwide, but Japan is where a Switch port would truly print money for Capcom. This is also why I feel like doing a separate Gen 5 game for the Switch with the changes that World brought about while being developed with the Switch's limitations in mind would be the best way to go for Capcom.

I thought it's more business reasons why it's not on switch
I'd say it's a bit of both (see above for the potential business issues). The game doesn't exactly run at a stable framerate on PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently some people need to heal and sharpen so often that it's not possible without leaving the zone.

Even when speed sharpening is very easy to obtain, your ability to move while consuming items, your palico getting aggro and with environmental attacks littered in every map that can stun the monster eliminate that entire argument. :/

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I am not very good at MH and it was never a problem for me, and all that you said can be easily fixed by improving the monster AI and how the zone transitions work while in combat. It is not like they have to work 3DS/PSP limited computing power.
Actually the sharpening and healing changes are my favourite ones in this game

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even when speed sharpening is very easy to obtain, your ability to move while consuming items, your palico getting aggro and with environmental attacks that can stun the monster eliminate that entire argument. :/

You would be much less aggravating and easier to communicate with if you toned down the sarcasm and snark by like 100000x. I'd be tempted to agree with you otherwise.

Edit: ah you removed the sarcastic part. Well played.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you want to chase monsters between loading screens again.... how even
I'd rather glance at my phone for 2 sec than run for a full minute. Of course an oversimplification, but to me personally running through the connecting paths just feel like unneccesary downtime to get to the spot where we can properly fight again, so I'd prefer a loading or transition screen over the running or sliding. Looking at the reactions I'm alone on this one tho.
I feel like it's not anymore downtime than the mounting system (in World that is; mounting was always downtime in 4U). You can keep trying to hit the monster (which is not a bad idea at all), or you can take advantage of the free opportunity to heal/sharpen. It's your choice.

I'd understand if, say, turf wars frequently happened, but you almost never see more than one a hunt.
At least mounting is a choice, the game just forces these cutscenes on you. In the grand scheme of things it's just a minor annoyance, I'm just not a fan of these 'oh look, they are doing the dance again' moments.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do people realize how terrible it would run on Switch unless it was massively downscaled? The base PS4/Xbox One versions run at 25 fps.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Well in Japan XX didn't seem to cut it looking at those numbers and that wasn't a base game...
Well thats basically what you get if you announce that the main monster hunter (seemingly/could change) has no future on nintendo platforms. Why would a die hard monsterhunter fan buy a port of a 3ds game thats already available on 3ds+ basically a confirmation that the mainline entry is gone?

Thats why i dont get capcom, Monsterhunter XX is new for the west. So releasing it day and date with the japanese version, have 2 SKUs here (3ds and switch) and see the money roll in. But yea capcom be caprcom i guess.

Day 1 sales would probably be higher if they announced world at TGS instead of e3.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
One question, did you play some older games? Because there are plenty of benefits of the loading screens compared to what we have now.

I have and the loading screens are an archaic left over from the older games. Nothing is gained by bringing them back except to pander to the most hardcore of old school fans.

If the biggest complaint is having to chase monsters there are variety of ways to deal with that.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well thats basically what you get if you announce that the main monster hunter (seemingly/could change) has no future on nintendo platforms. Why would a die hard monsterhunter fan buy a port of a 3ds game thats already available on 3ds+ basically a confirmation that the mainline entry is gone?
I think the poster was talking about XX on 3DS.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
The real reasoning is likely that Asian exclusive Sony scored. Why port MHW to Switch if you can't release it in Japan? Better to just have the PX team do a new game.

But Capcom also never said it wasn't possible or there were technical limitations on Switch (although there are). Thier "difficult" comment was regarding business reasons.
You're right that they didnt say directly that it was a technical issue in terms of hardware power, but in the Kotaku article mentioned in the OP, the guy from Capcom talk about the systems having different functions, which could easily be in regards to hardware specs. Its not like the Switch requires a completely different approach in terms of game design. Its still a traditional system with screen and controller input (dual analog + >10 button).

Its also possible that there could be an exclusive deal, but i dont know if this is the real reason for it. MH:XX for Switch is exclusive to Japan (and maybe other asian countries as well), why would they allow that? I remember when it was said that Nintendo had a 3 year exclusive deal with Capcom and Monster Hunter, and this was a reason why it wasnt released on other platforms. That was also possible, but many said it was bullshit. I dont think we will ever know for sure.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I have and the loading screens are an archaic left over from the older games. Nothing is gained by bringing them back except to pander to the most hardcore of old school fans.

If the biggest complaint is having to chase monsters there are variety of ways to deal with that.
They are archaic but MHW solution isn't ideal. Maybe the game would run better too if they didn't change but I don't have knowledge if that is possible.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Even as a late port, it would still probably push a few million more copies. I think games made these days are a lot more scalable than previous gens and this could be achievable. It's money on the table.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats why i dont get capcom, Monsterhunter XX is new for the west. So releasing it day and date with the japanese version, have 2 SKUs here (3ds and switch) and see the money roll in. But yea capcom be caprcom i guess.
Probably because it's a version of Monster Hunter that never sold well in the west in the first place, while at the same time they had a version of Monster Hunter that was going to release that had potential to reach a bigger audience in the pipeline.

JaynePea

Nov 2, 2017
It's likely not feasible now, but it'd be interesting to see down the line what happens. There's no way Capcom's gonna let the MTFramework in its current state slide - the Switch is too good a moneymaker to pass up on.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It would be better to cancel the PC port and move the team working on it to the Switch
What the hell????

Something like monster hunter world is gonna do great on PC and it's easier to port up than down. Also I don't trust iron galaxy enough to do it justice, it would most likely end up like Borderlands or Resident evil revelations 2 on vita

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Probably because it's a version of Monster Hunter that never sold well in the west in the first place, while at the same time they had a version of Monster Hunter that was going to release that had potential to reach a bigger audience in the pipeline.
MH Generations sold 1.1m in the west. That's better than most of Capcom's games do.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not saying loading screen are great or that I want loading screens in my experience, I'm only saying l prefer a short loading screens over the running corridors. The only thing that would truly deal with the downtime would be better level design that would eliminate unnecessarily long chases.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

This is not true. What I gain is never having to deal with fucking ancient forest ever again.

I say it every time it comes up, but I look at a map like deserted island from Tri/U, and how it goes from mountain top, to plains, to beach, to valley, to caves and enjoy that visual variety significantly more than what we have present in world.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Use the slinger to stop fleeing monsters. It's fun and effective. Flash bombs, slinger thorns, slinger bombs, piercing pods, crystalbursts all easily stagger monsters to interrupt their fleeing.

Dragon pods are sadly kinda crap for this though.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Why people say it can not be ported to Switch ? The game is not a graphical marbel.
Don't you dare talk like that! MH:W is the most graphically intensive game released in the last 10 years! You can't possibly put it on an underpowered Etch-A-Sketch like the Switch! Preserve our precious HD graphics!

/s

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yes I have and that was one of the major things I dislike about them. I understand that some people may want a series of unique "arenas" or areas to face monsters in but loading screens are a horrible solution to that.

Why people say it can not be ported to Switch ? The game is not a graphical marbel.
It's not a question of visuals - it's looking at the engine, the design of the game and its performance on other platforms that should clue you in. The game they've designed is demanding - more than the visuals would lead you to believe.

Just looking at something and saying "Well that doesn't look impressive" doesn't work here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying loading screen are great or that I want loading screens in my experience, I'm only saying l prefer a short loading screens over the running corridors. The only thing that would truly deal with the downtime would be better level design that would eliminate unnecessarily long chases.

The chases aren't that long and are stopped in a variety of matters. Bringing back loading times doesn't solve the issue, it just brings back an old one.

It is as much of minor issue as the loading times.

So let's replace one minor issue with another that the series already dropped. Yeah great idea.

This is not true. What I gain is never having to deal with fucking ancient forest ever again.

I say it every time it comes up, but I look at a map like deserted island from Tri/U, and how it goes from mountain top, to plains, to beach, to valley, to caves and enjoy that visual variety significantly more than what we have present in world.

And bringing back load times doesn't fix that. Not too mention I have little to no issue chasing monsters in the ancient forest. Just fast traveling to one of the four camps negates most of said chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.