Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2019
I just can't get excited about Chris Jericho and Jack Swagger versus Cody and Dustin in 2019, or Ambrose v Dillinger, when Jericho is the only one I ever cared about before.

Through two weeks, I liked Darby Allin, MJF, I already liked Jericho, and obviously Kenny Omega. The rest I either knew and didn't care for, or didn't grab my attention.

And they seem allergic to featuring Omega.

And it's an overbooked mess.

This isn't for me.

yup the slow burn everyone keeps mentioning on omega i think is a huge miss fire, the guy could have easilly been in jericho's role and people would of buyed into it many got into aew to see what omega and the bucks are about or already knew who they are and want more (and the rest of the roster are a huge bonus)

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yup the slow burn everyone keeps mentioning on omega i think is a huge miss fire, the guy could have easilly been in jericho's role and people would of buyed into it many got into aew to see what omega and the bucks are about or already knew who they are and want more (and the rest of the roster are a huge bonus)
He's a gigantic star getting B tier treatment for Chris Jericho and Cody Rhodes or him having Moxley in 2019. It's TNA tier stupidity: we got WWE guys!

I've got another week of not fast forwarding through most of the this show in me before I'm in "call me when Omega is doing interesting things" mode.

DameJay

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
there is absolutely no way Omega would have been able to fill Jerichos role promo wise. Which is extremely important.

Oct 28, 2017
I just can't get excited about Chris Jericho and Jack Swagger versus Cody and Dustin in 2019, or Ambrose v Dillinger, when Jericho is the only one I ever cared about before.

Through two weeks, I liked Darby Allin, MJF, I already liked Jericho, and obviously Kenny Omega. The rest I either knew and didn't care for, or didn't grab my attention.

This isn't for me.

I totally understand some of your criticisms, I'm not a fan of Swagger or Tye...but you think AEW is an overbooked mess???

In comparison to what?

Dec 29, 2017
Has anyone considered that maybe Kenny Omega does not want to be the top guy? Everything I'm reading about his role in AEW is that he and Brandi Rhodes are in charge of the women's division. Specifically, Kenny is scouting and recruiting Japanese talent, and working to try and bring Joshi to the US. Perhaps he rather focus on that right now over trying to lead the entire company as a wrestler.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Wasn't everyone leading into all of this complaining how Kenny Omega and The Elite were going to be beating everyone and taking the lion's share of the spotlight? Lol.

The slow burn is smart. Slowly introduce Kenny to a wider audience. He's not half as famous or experienced as Chris Jericho. Chris Jericho is only of the only people alive in wrestling that's able to elevate people the way he is now. Jericho isn't getting any younger either, they are absolutely getting the best bang for their buck out of him possible right now.

AEW is playing the long game. What the hell would running with Kenny Omega The Bout Machine right of the gate get you? Where would you go from there?

Hot-shotting is fucking terrible booking practice and I'm happy they're staying away from it.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't for me.
I'm not the biggest fan of their brawls at then end of the shows, cause they aren't really good queued.
I think this week they should have just MJF make the safe, Jericho rolling out and then cutting a promo.
Giving the faces a win while Jericho still looking strong.

But overbooked?
I would say the Young Bucks need a feud right now (could come during the tournament) and Omega has already a feud with Moxley, which could turn into a 3-way with PAC.

Right now I would say, they need more feuds and more time so their wrestlers can get some airtime and be more compelling to the crowd, but this doesn't happen overnight.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
There's been 2 episodes of TV and Kenny was in the main event of one and is currently feuding with Jon Moxley who is perhaps the most well known mainstream wrestler in AEW outside of Jericho. Saying they are "allergic" to Kenny is just silly. I would guess that a majority of AEW TV viewers have probably never seen a New Japan match and they are doing a good job of introducing him to that audience.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone considered that maybe Kenny Omega does not want to be the top guy? Everything I'm reading about his role in AEW is that he and Brandi Rhodes are in charge of the women's division. Specifically, Kenny is scouting and recruiting Japanese talent, and working to try and bring Joshi to the US. Perhaps he rather focus on that right now over trying to lead the entire company as a wrestler.
Well... he is competing for the AAA title.
But they are on national TV now. It's right to give him time and make him the babyface that has to overcome these assaults. Classic booking.
At some time, he will be Champ but right now Jericho is the best choice. He is a big star and knows how to portray himself as one.

when half of kenny's matches in aew so far have been tag matches i can say hes being used wrong
Dude, don't hot shot everything just after 2 weeks. If they have a plan you need to work towards this plan. Don't overexpose him and don't shoot angle after angle so you would end up too early in the story

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cody has been killing it. Bland lol.
Cody has been killing my interest. 🤷‍♂️

I will say positively that Schiavone is awesome to hear, Jericho is killing it in his role in story and in reality, lending credibility to his non-Swaggie stable bros, PAC is still dope, a few of the non WWE castoffs piqued my interest, and I'm still in for a full watch to see the others who haven't debuted I've been told to catch. Orange Cassidy seems like he'll be up my alley for entertainment.

And thank god it's two hours.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 27 and kinda shocked my age group isn't more into this shit.
When you still get a fair amount of idiots that say "don't you know its fake?" in 2019, it doesn't really surprise me.

Theres some really dumb stigma around wrestling. Like its not supposed to be entertaining becuase its staged or its weird to watch it becuase it is.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you still get a fair amount of idiots that say "don't you know its fake?", it doesn't really surprise me.

Theres some really dumb stigma around wrestling. Like its not supposed to be entertaining becuase its staged.

I mean yeah true. I was one of those people like two years ago until my roommate got me to start watching WWE.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Kenny/Moxley/Pac is the #2 storyline in the company.

It's not like he isn't being used or doing anything.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK

I posted something similar RE: Kenny probably loving his current role with a lighter schedule and AEW not being as hard hitting as Japan (a lot of people don't understand that working that style takes its toll more on your body) but your point about not having the pressure of carrying an upstart company on his back is also a great point.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. For the new audience they want to capture they are right to build him up

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It's because younger demos don't watch cable tv anymore. They play on their phones, tablets, and video game consoles / pc. I noticed on a commercial they were saying about a 7 million viewer number, but that could have been through all the replays, but maybe they are including views from the website?

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I feel like it's just gonna be harder for wrestling to crossover again these days.

When I was young (and I'm only a few years older than you) and watching WWE in the early 2000's, TV was crap, nowadays the standard is much higher, so much good stuff across Netflix, Amazon, HBO etc that are only a click or two away.

Nov 1, 2017
AEW's rating dropping is not a surprise as I said before week two's tend to drop, got to give the show props for not solely pushing The Young Bucks over everyone. Same with Cody and Omega. It's refreshing, more so after all the Triple H runs and McMahons lording over people.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
AEW's rating dropping is not a surprise as I said before week two's tend to drop, got to give the show props for not solely pushing The Young Bucks over everyone. Same with Cody and Omega. It's refreshing, more so after all the Triple H runs and McMahons lording over people.
I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live in a world where Hunter wasn't a complete asshole and let Booker and Sting go over him.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
From personal experience I can say my 9 year old son isn't into wrestling. Teen titans told him WWE was fake so thankfully he won't even bother with that. I try and get him to watch New Japan with me but his just not interested in grappling, he would rather watch boxing and even that is struggle at times.

When I ask him what his friends are like at school he says they don't watch wrestling either.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't everyone leading into all of this complaining how Kenny Omega and The Elite were going to be beating everyone and taking the lion's share of the spotlight? Lol.

The slow burn is smart. Slowly introduce Kenny to a wider audience. He's not half as famous or experienced as Chris Jericho. Chris Jericho is only of the only people alive in wrestling that's able to elevate people the way he is now. Jericho isn't getting any younger either, they are absolutely getting the best bang for their buck out of him possible right now.

AEW is playing the long game. What the hell would running with Kenny Omega The Bout Machine right of the gate get you? Where would you go from there?

Hot-shotting is fucking terrible booking practice and I'm happy they're staying away from it.
Foreal. If The Elite got pushed to high hell there'd be complaints that all they're doing is putting themselves over. Kenny is 2nd in card with their biggest mainstream star. AEW is doing a great job of introducing all their unknowns and making them stars.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
f3d86ce41346fdf0c7f9deb146221e30206a3e14_00.jpg

I still need Cody to steal this old King of Fighters cover for a PPV poster. His transformation into Geese Howard is near.
I was bored today so I whipped this up
CIylSki.png

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
All I know is I stopped watching wrestling regularly when ECW went under and haven't been this enthusiastic about it since. I was a fan of WWF in the late 80s, stuck with through the "new gen" era, and then bounced to ECW/WCW when I wasn't digging the direction WWF was going in. (yeah, I didn't give a fuck about the whole Attitude thing)

I've tried watching WWE multiple times over the past few years after paying zero attention to it for more than a decade and I just couldn't stick with it. I tried just watching the PPVs and couldn't stick with that either. The TV shows are mostly dire and I couldn't tell you anything I recall from my attempts to get back into it. I did catch The Rock's segment from last Friday and holy shit was that bad. The only matches I remember are Nakamura and Sammy Zayne kicking the shit out of each other and AJ Styles beating John Cena. The only other prominent memory is that Alexa Bliss is hot. Hell, I know I watched the last Wrestlemania even though I had given up well before that and don't remember anything from it.

But AEW? All these shows have been amazing. Watching Dynamite is giving me that feeling like I can't wait to discuss it with my best friend tomorrow like I did in grade school. (I should hit him up and see if he's watching, lol) I was initially drawn in because of Chris Jericho. He was my favorite in WCW and I watched almost exclusively for him. (the cruiserweights were cool too) Featuring him prominently and making him the champ was absolutely the right call. But man, I'm loving just about everyone else too. Even dudes I initially didn't care for like Sammy G and Hangman Page I've turned the corner on and am really digging. The only match I really disliked so far was Moxley and Janela because it was gross with the tacks and shit, but after last night I'm starting to like Moxley and Janela was cool in the triple threat with Darby and Havoc. I'm mostly unfamiliar with a lot of these guys' time with WWE, but am figuring out who was previously there by reading the comments here. (Seriously, was Spears that bad? Because he's not top tier in AEW or anything but I think he's pretty good.) Everything about Cody screams mega star and I know he was with WWE at one point but don't think I caught any of his time there. He should be featured. And I love, love, love Dustin which is shocking considering I was confused af by Goldust when I was a kid and the character made me feel uncomfortable. (I'd be interested in revisiting that stuff to see how I feel about it now)

So yeah, AEW is clearly putting out something very different from WWE and they're hitting all the right notes for me — a long lapsed fan who who has actively given the latter promotion multiple chances to recapture their interest in recent years but has failed to.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
All I know is I stopped watching wrestling regularly when ECW went under and haven't been this enthusiastic about it since. I was a fan of WWF in the late 80s, stuck with through the "new gen" era, and then bounced to ECW/WCW when I wasn't digging the direction WWF was going in. (yeah, I didn't give a fuck about the whole Attitude thing)

I've tried watching WWE multiple times over the past few years after paying zero attention to it for more than a decade and I just couldn't stick with it. I tried just watching the PPVs and couldn't stick with that either. The TV shows are mostly dire and I couldn't tell you anything I recall from my attempts to get back into it. I did catch The Rock's segment from last Friday and holy shit was that bad. The only matches I remember are Nakamura and Sammy Zayne kicking the shit out of each other and AJ Styles beating John Cena. The only other prominent memory is that Alexa Bliss is hot. Hell, I know I watched the last Wrestlemania even though I had given up well before that and don't remember anything from it.

But AEW? All these shows have been amazing. Watching Dynamite is giving me that feeling like I can't wait to discuss it with my best friend tomorrow like I did in grade school. (I should hit him up and see if he's watching, lol) I was initially drawn in because of Chris Jericho. He was my favorite in WCW and I watched almost exclusively for him. (the cruiserweights were cool too) Featuring him prominently and making him the champ was absolutely the right call. But man, I'm loving just about everyone else too. Even dudes I initially didn't care for like Sammy G and Hangman Page I've turned the corner on and am really digging. The only match I really disliked so far was Moxley and Janela because it was gross with the tacks and shit, but after last night I'm starting to like Moxley and Janela was cool in the triple threat with Darby and Havoc. I'm mostly unfamiliar with a lot of these guys' time with WWE, but am figuring out who was previously there by reading the comments here. (Seriously, was Spears that bad? Because he's not top tier in AEW or anything but I think he's pretty good.) Everything about Cody screams mega star and I know he was with WWE at one point but don't think I caught any of his time there. He should be featured. And I love, love, love Dustin which is shocking considering I was confused af by Goldust when I was a kid and the character made me feel uncomfortable. (I'd be interested in revisiting that stuff to see how I feel about it now)

So yeah, AEW is clearly putting out something very different from WWE and they're hitting all the right notes for me — a long lapsed fan who who has actively given the latter promotion multiple chances to recapture their interest in recent years but has failed to.
You've gotta remember that ERA is a bubble on many things, and wrestling is often one of them. Don't get caught up in the shit hot takes, just do what you're doing and think/enjoy what you want. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.