bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
people say the the same thing about Call of Duty, and even in an off year it outsells everything.

just wait until the drop their first xmen movie, sheeeeeeeeiit.

And if they can make Antman and Guardians work? there are literally hundreds of more interesting characters at their disposal. What will be interesting is seeing how they transition out Robert Downey and Chris Evans because they cant keeping these forever.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of a dip after Avengers 4. But once they have a new big bad, I imagine people will get hyped up again.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Of course it will. Just give it a couple years to cool down and introduce new characters, then start building up Galactus as the main threat, the way they waited until The Avengers to tease Thanos.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Silver Surfer in the post-credits scene of A4 heralding the new Villain Galactus?

Hard to outdo a dude who can destroy half the universe with a finger snap...the DBZ problem...

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I guess so, it just seems that all the well known, popular stories have been adapted to some degree and it'll get harder going forward.
You seem to have missed that they have been creating new A-listers from the start. Among the general public Iron Man was nowhere near the level of Batman, Spider-Man or Superman, but they made him a top superhero that everyone knows now. Same happened with GOTG, or Black Panther, or whoever.

And in a few years when it's all settled down they'll have access to the gigantic X-Men and F4 casts.
As far as popular stories, they have barely scratched the surface.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Kids have grown up watching these movies. The MCU is Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Back to the Future/LotR/Harry Potter x 10 for these kids.

They have no idea how lucky they are!

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder if folks will like the FF. XMen has always been hella popular, no matter the medium, but FF has been... BO poison to put it bluntly. Fool me once, etc...

Can a good FF movie really be done?

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe one day Disney will give us an R rated Moon Knight movie.

I do wonder though, if they got to do a FF movie, how would they still do a Ms. Marvel film. She and Mr. Fantastic basically have the exact same power.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Nah...as long as the material is good it can happen over and over again.

I think there are a few issues that come up.
- How often can the planet get pummeled?
- How many interesting characters can be interested in destroying literally everything? How is that a character arc?

Oct 25, 2017
I know it will be the end for me. I cannot be arsed to go round again. I want a definitive ending for these characters, or what's the point? It's not a soap opera. There has to be an end point eventually, like with Harry Potter. Or Lord of the Rings. The ending is the best bit.

If you want endings, maybe movies based on never-ending comic books were never going to satisfy.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think the mcu will still work but no more huge ensemble movies. Just stand alone movies with some guest characters after A4 imo.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know MCU or Marvel in general, but I think there was an Avengers cartoon a long time ago that had the team being composed of Ant Man, Wasp (I think) and Scarlet Witch among others. I know they have Ant-Man and Scarlet Witch in there already so that's probably the direction they're taking (with Black Panther as the leader)

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it will be the end for me. I cannot be arsed to go round again. I want a definitive ending for these characters, or what's the point? It's not a soap opera. There has to be an end point eventually, like with Harry Potter. Or Lord of the Rings. The ending is the best bit.
Damn dude you must hate comic books then

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll only grow after A4, as more and more inclusive roles bring in larger audiences that don't typically engage with cape flicks.

Iron Man and Captain America are iconic, but women and minorities have not been very well-represented by the MCU until recently. There's still lots of money on the table to be snatched up in future phases.

That, plus going all-in with branching out into different genres will foster more diversity and reach new audiences, even if every film isn't a $700m+ grosser.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll only grow after A4, as more and more inclusive roles bring in larger audiences that don't typically engage with cape flicks.

Iron Man and Captain America are iconic, but women and minorities have not been very well-represented by the MCU until recently. There's still lots of money on the table to be snatched up in future phases.

Shuri and her Amazing Friends feat. Peter Parker the Amazing Spider Man

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thing is, Marvel will need to learn to kill characters (Definitely this time) so that the show won't become stale and you'll have surprise along the way, and new character mean a new gang forming, new bonds.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I feel like geeks and comics community are loving it so much that after Avengers 4 it will be like Naruto Shippuden, or One Piece Shinsekai...
"I'm tired of Marvel"

So, your point of view?

I got as far as "Naruto Shippuden" and realised I had absolutely no idea what you were on about.

The popularity of MCU has been long, perhaps more even than the early Bond era of the 1960s. I don't know when they'll run out of steam, but I don't think their popularity depends on geeks and nerds.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If the mass public isn't tired of it by now, I doubt they'll ever get sick of it. I'm actually looking forward to a post Avengers 4 world where all the characters know each other and the studio starts run out of ideas for larger scale stuff so they do the truly dumb comic book bullshit I love.

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are a few issues that come up.
- How often can the planet get pummeled?
- How many interesting characters can be interested in destroying literally everything? How is that a character arc?
This is not an issue. If it were, the subject matter would go out of style, not the brand. Lots of movies outside of the MCU feature end of the world scenarios and evil villains. Nobody actually minds the retelling of the same stories over and over.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised that people think they're working now. While I can get into the comedies, the dramas feel so rote and uninspired. Unsarcastically good for you if you like them, I wish I could like everything. With Marvel movies, the bloom is off the rose and I just don't get it.

Nov 30, 2017
After Wolverine Origins, X-men 3, the Wolverine, and Apocalypse, the Fox-man is still go go go.

After BvS, Suicide Squad, and JL, the DCFU is still full speed ahead.

So why would the MCU end up dying before any of these franchises?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder if folks will like the FF. XMen has always been hella popular, no matter the medium, but FF has been... BO poison to put it bluntly. Fool me once, etc...

Can a good FF movie really be done?
Of course it can. There's nothing inherent in the property that says it can only produce substandard films. With each of the three adaptations you can chart exactly how they went wrong and none were as a result of the source material. The Corman film was just a technicality not made to actually release, the 2000s one and its sequel went full early 2000s superhero film that were all over the place post-Spider-Man 1, like Daredevil or other crummy adaptations. Just plain uninspired. Then the newest one was a disaster behind the scenes and rushed together (funnily enough for the same reasons the Corman film was made), winding up as a confused, out of date mess.

The two Hollywood adaptations have been very unfaithful to the spirit of the comics, but I think we can trust Marvel to handle it right. You know they would do Doom justice (embarrassing that the best film adaptation of such a great villain is in fact the Corman rights-grab).

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot get over how hilarious this thread is coming from someone with a mario avatar and what seems to be a named based of the shipping of Kylo Ren and Rey from the newest star wars trilogy

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Even if you don't like the films, how can you not see they are working with audiences? Box offices alone say these are working.

you should check out sites called "rotten tomatoes.com" and another site called boxofficemojo.com - they track the critical (reviews) response and commercial (money earned) history of movies

Well at least toxic nerd culture will eventually fragment and destroy their success by turning off people who just want to watch an action movie. all I have to do is wait.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Next phase they'll work in X-men and figure out how to make Wolverine a major player. And people will tune in to see that change. But yea, I'm way fatigued. It only stirs moderate interest

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want Avengers movie that would do Onslaught. Make it Phase 6 or whatever. I always thought he was a fun character.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the bulk of the people buying tickets really care about this Thanos story or any overarching story. They know with these movies they will get good entertainment; action, comedy, likeable characters, cool visuals. I don't think that will change.