• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sociopaths manipulate and lie. It's a hallmark of the condition.

You can't fix sociopathy. Given his tendency for violence, he needs to be held in a secure psychiatric ward, probably forever.

No, the child is a sociopath. He's also attacked peers and animals.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you are not a mental health professional.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
How does the kid re enter normalcy after this adult like plan to kill. Will the parents ever trust him again ?

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
" Two officers were dispatched there Feb. 13 for a welfare check after an 11-year-old called 911. The child reportedly said he had been bad and had been struck by his mother. No report was filed by officers. "

And this is why the Blue Wall is a problem, not just for the general public, but for police officers and their families. Nothing was done when the police learned that one of their own had a child-beating spouse. They are failing that child

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
It's incredibly hard for people to deal with a sociopathic child. Institutional care is incredibly hard to get into, and incredibly expensive. A lot of loving parents with seriously disturbed children end up surrendering their kids to the state because they have no other option, and they usually wait until the behavior escalates to this level because they don't want to lose their child, problems and all.

Society does not set these families up for success.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Excusing Child Abuse
" Two officers were dispatched there Feb. 13 for a welfare check after an 11-year-old called 911. The child reportedly said he had been bad and had been struck by his mother. No report was filed by officers. "

And this is why the Blue Wall is a problem, not just for the general public, but for police officers and their families. Nothing was done when the police learned that one of their own had a child-beating spouse. They are failing that child

Kid probably deserved it.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Sociopaths manipulate and lie. It's a hallmark of the condition.

You can't fix sociopathy. Given his tendency for violence, he needs to be held in a secure psychiatric ward, probably forever.

No, the child is a sociopath. He's also attacked peers and animals.
So? Removing kids like this from the world wouldnt stop shit like this from happening. Making gun violence news about the mental health problems of an 11 year old is fucking stupid.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this might not be a popular thing to say here but, some kids deserve to be spanked. This kid was one of those kids.
If anything, that was the thing that messed him up this badly. We already have proof that being spanked as a kid significantly ups the chances of aggressive behaviour and substance abuse.
Pieces of shit who beat up their kids are monsters

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
So? Removing kids like this from the world wouldnt stop shit like this from happening. Making gun violence news about the mental health problems of an 11 year old is fucking stupid.
The gun was locked away and the kid still got it even though they must have gone hoops to get it. Kid also stunned dog before. If it wasn't a gun, it likely would have been a knife. This isn't a gun control case, even stringent gun controls like we have in the UK wouldn't have stopped this from happening - you don't check the mental health of the children in the house to determine whether a parent can own a gun or not.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Awful, but thats a pretty gangster response...

Hope kid gets help, but will probably get life in prison with no help.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kid probably deserved it.
You are part of the problem when you say things like this. You are basically saying "child deserves to be abused" while ignoring the fact that abuse likely played a role in his mental illness. It suggests you don't actually care about preventing tragedies like this, you just enjoy the suffering of others.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
You are part of the problem when you say things like this. You are basically saying "child deserves to be abused" while ignoring the fact that abuse likely played a role in his mental illness. It suggests you don't actually care about preventing tragedies like this, you just enjoy the suffering of others.
It's a bit early to assume the kid was abused, kids like this can be raised perfectly normally and lie as well. We shouldn't assume at this stage. But of course we shouldn't be advocating the kid get beat or killed either. Like wtf thread?? Get it together.

Oct 25, 2017
Who wants to bet those parents aren't some upstanding loving caring TLC types

Dad is a cop, you know that authority role seeped into the family home

Kids don't magically become serial killers without agitation
Something in the household over years led up to this

If I'm wrong and this kid did this on first removal of his personal items, Jesus, The Omen found a reboot story

Some of y'all need to stop with these parenting hot takes as if it's this black and white thing.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the responses here are a good indication of why parents and society in general are typically not well equipped to deal with children's mental health.

Oct 25, 2017

Is there more to that quote because a potential psychopath saying his mother hit him could be entirely manipulative.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit early to assume the kid was abused, kids like this can be raised perfectly normally and lie as well. We shouldn't assume at this stage. But of course we shouldn't be advocating the kid get beat or killed either. Like wtf thread?? Get it together.
It's not an assumption, the police were called to the home before for an abuse complaint.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
this thread is reminding me of that doc about parents of child psychopaths. what a trip

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why people want it to be one or another. It could be both mental illness untreated plus easy access to firearms lead to this.
A lot of people in this forum treat things as binary instead of nuanced unfortunately. While guns are a problem, there is a pattern of behavior here that suggests more incidents were going to happen with or without a gun in this case. Access to a firearm lead to the specifics of this incident but the mental health issue should have likely manifested in some other form if guns weren't an option.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's not an assumption, the police were called to the home before for an abuse complaint.
I mean you could assume the police were corrupt and just left the child in danger but you could also assume the child lied which is not uncommon in these kind of mental illnesses. You are leaving out that the kid has also abused the dog, has apparently had a number of altercations at his school and went through delibrate loops to get the gun so it wasn't just a moment of anger. He also doesn't seem to regret it and threatened to do it again. I wouldn't say there's proof either way yet.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who wants to bet those parents aren't some upstanding loving caring TLC types

Dad is a cop, you know that authority role seeped into the family home

Kids don't magically become serial killers without agitation
Something in the household over years led up to this

If I'm wrong and this kid did this on first removal of his personal items, Jesus, The Omen found a reboot story

Sociopaths/psychopaths are usually born, not made.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. The article some one posted about rehabbing psychopath kids was talking about how they really don't respond to punishment, it doesn't even phase them. But that they found they respond to reward, they are very wired to want that reward so the best way to get them to respond in a way you want them to behave is to use rewards to entice htem. Punish them and they won't even notice, they'll just decide maybe to get even (like this kid did when his dad took away his game console).
quoting again for the new page

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Damn. Somtimes the only thing standing between you and gaming is a dose of paternal shotgun justice.

I'm gonna take a guess and assume the kid spends the majority of the rest of his life in the prison system.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Apparently it all happened because the kid was not allowed to choose their dish at the restaurant the night before

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Not all psychopaths are going to be murderers. Like, psychopathy does not mean a person wants to murder other people. They may have no empathy, no remorse/guilt. They may be sadistic. But that doesn't mean they're necessarily murderous.

Second, this isn't a parent thing (always). For some psychopaths (most, I'd say), they were born with a different brain than your "normal" human. Loving, supportive, wonderful parents probably temper the psychopathy the same way abusive awful parents/circumstances may bring out the crime/etc. But, it's possible for people to be wonderful parents and still have children who act out on their psychopathy.

Would anyone here immediately blame the parents for not loving their children enough if the child commits suicide? Of course not-- we understand depression means something in the brain is wired that way. That doesn't mean that perhaps a person who kills themselves, partially because of an awful home situation, may not have chosen to if they were raised with a lot of love and support. Still, blaming the parents for mental illnesses or abnormalities isn't fair.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is a future serial killer. No amount of rehabilitation will be able to help the kid.

There needs to be a euthanasia law for something like this, as an act of mercy.
This is wrong on so many levels. Ending a life should always be the last resort of any situation. And the parents, state and federal government still have plenty of options left to deal and treat this child.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean you could assume the police were corrupt and just left the child in danger but you could also assume the child lied which is not uncommon in these kind of mental illnesses. You are leaving out that the kid has also abused the dog, has apparently had a number of altercations at his school and went through delibrate loops to get the gun so it wasn't just a moment of anger. He also doesn't seem to regret it and threatened to do it again. I wouldn't say there's proof either way yet.
A complaint made by the child.
That's also possible. Seems likely the child has psychopathy but obviously no one here can diagnose that. Talking about putting the kid to death is just disgusting though. Plenty of brain development left, and significant therapy and mental health treatment could rehabilitate this child.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
I have a co-worker whose son has a mental condition similar to this. The son is now in his late 30s and living at home with both parents who are in their 60s. The son is mentally similar to a child and will beat up the dad and mom if doesn't get what he wants. They can't afford to place him in a facility, so he is constantly having to fight the son once a week when they have to tell him "no" to anything. The whole idea is down right terrifying, and he is worried about getting older when he will no longer be able to fend him off. They also worry about someone calling the police because they will probably shoot him.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017

That's a guilty laugh from me. Damnit. Anyway, without knowing what's happened to this kid and his upbringing, it's difficult to understand what brought him to do something like this. Whether he's a victim of abuse, a psychopath, or a combination of both, the parents should have seen the signs of him becoming violent. How does your dog get tazed without anyone noticing? How have his friends and teachers reacted to him at school? There's no way that someone didn't see signs of his aggressive behavior. Just awful all the way around.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

I don't think I will use any kind of smacks and punishment stuff on my kids if I have them, but I wouldn't describe a very mild spank as abuse necessarily. It's not intended to inflict harm, it's more of a signifier when behaviour is well beyond unacceptable. It's a potentially useful parenting technique, and well removed from people who have bursts of anger and really do lash out with physical violence (unfortunately common).

This kid seems to show a total lack of remorse, and is intelligent enough to concoct schemes to get his way. It could have been an abusive household, but I don't think we know enough to do anything more than speculate.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know this might not be a popular thing to say here but, some kids deserve to be spanked. This kid was one of those kids.
He probably already did, and now the kid is responding in kind.

I need to hear the real beginning of this story before judging the kid. His Dad could be a real fuckhead, but that goes unnoticed when we're only being told the last two lines of their story.

[edit] Also the fact he used a gun doesn't matter in this case. He could've focused on using a knife if he knew guns weren't an option.

Last edited:

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The boy allegedly secured his father's stun gun, which the South Bend Tribune reported he said he had tested on the family dog before the shooting. He also allegedly told police that he planned to shoot his father in the head, but couldn't because of the way he was lying.
I hope he gets the help he needs, but I'll never not get pissed at someone who tazes an animal and shoots their parents over a video game. Who the fuck tazes the family pet? Little shit.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I will use any kind of smacks and punishment stuff on my kids if I have them, but I wouldn't describe a very mild spank as abuse necessarily. It's not intended to inflict harm, it's more of a signifier when behaviour is well beyond unacceptable. It's a potentially useful parenting technique, and well removed from people who have bursts of anger and really do lash out with physical violence (unfortunately common).

This kid seems to show a total lack of remorse, and is intelligent enough to concoct schemes to get his way. It could have been an abusive household, but I don't think we know enough to do anything more than speculate.
Most modern research agrees that physical discipline of any kind is harmful to children and the poster I was responding to was not referring to light spankings.