1. JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny
    Member OP

In a recent thread recommending the PC version of Aliens: Colonial Marines for less than $3, a post happened to single out an announcement made on the ModDB page for Aliens: Colonial Marines.

A passionate modder who has made it his mission to overhaul aspects of the absolutely dreadful Colonial Marines was working on tinkering his highly regarded overhaul mod known as TemplarGFX’s ACM Overhaul when he stumbled upon something interesting in the games .ini files.I think I’ll let him explain...
    Knowing full well how absurd this sounds on the surface, I took it upon myself to reinstall the PC version of the game, look at the .ini file and check myself. Sure enough, a single letter typo was found exactly where he claimed. I was in disbelief. As recommended, I fixed the typo, saved it in Notepad and booted the game up.

The improvement is immediately recognizable in your first encounters with the Xenos. While they still charge you perched on their hind legs, they now crawl far more often, flank you using vents and holes in the environment and are generally far more engaged and aggressive. Five years after release, a single letter managed to overhaul the entirety of the enemy AI behavior in the game.

While I am still a vehement detractor of Gearbox and the game itself and would recommend against picking this up for any price, if you already own the game on Steam I wholeheartedly recommend trying this out yourself. Also consider enhancing your experience with the TemplarGFX ACM overhaul mod as it brings a host of other small but noticeable improvements to the game. And while I’m here, don’t forget to give this ol’ gem a watch.

UPDATE:

2. g23

g23

lol gearbox.

3. low-G

low-G

Reminds me of the time some users, myself included, found a simple way to fix a bunch of Halo PC shader errors / missing shaders on the Gearbox forums. They were notified of the fix and never included it themselves. This was when Halo PC was still recently released.

At least some of their people are literally incompetent.

4. Cort

Cort

Out of curiosity, how did it take this long for anyone to find this error? This game has been reworked and tweaked by modders for years now.

5. JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny
    Member OP

Five years since the game has been released so about that same time.

I’m more amused by Gearbox Software themselves never picking up on this.

6. 5taquitos

5taquitos

This is crazy

7. Dragon1893

Dragon1893

You have got to be kidding me.

8. wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Wow......

9. Lady Bow

Lady Bow

10. NotLiquid

NotLiquid

So you're telling me that part of the reason this game was such a fucking mess was because like

A single line of code had a typo in it

11. Scum

Scum

12. Sargerus

Sargerus

NO FUCKING WAY

13. Lulu

Lulu

14. JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny
    Member OP

You really couldn't make this shit up if you tried.

15. L Thammy

L Thammy

baahahahahaha

16. asd202

asd202

Wow.

17. lol

18. francium87

francium87

I'll always remember A:CM doomed TimeGate Studios (whose Section 8: Prejudice game was actually pretty fun in multiplayer). What a mess.

19. Spine_Ripper

Spine_Ripper

Boarderlands 3 coming soon

20. .

21. BossAttack

BossAttack

This is the appropriate response.

22. Kcannon

Kcannon

23. Prophaniti

Prophaniti

Incredible.

24. Toxik

Toxik
    Banned Member

Incredible.

25. K.Jack

K.Jack

i'm literally like;

[​IMG]

One. Letter.

26. rucury

rucury

Now that's what I call QA

27. Paraside

Paraside

Games are machines. Super complex machines. And yeah like having one wrong bolt or something in a car stops the whole thing working, it's the same here

28. KZXcellent

KZXcellent

Randy Pitchford is screaming.

29. --R

--R

/thread

30. dietpepsi

dietpepsi

Nice try, Gerbox.

31. Lowrys

Lowrys

Lmfao

32. Kyoufu

Kyoufu

I... um... what?!?!

33. NotLiquid

NotLiquid

It's not that I don't understand why it happened, it's that I can't believe such a crucial and egregious element completely slipped under everyone's noses

34. Social

Social

And in an ini file of all places! Not even in code behind the scenes.

35. DNAbro

DNAbro

Coding is fun

36. Nightbird

Nightbird

Wow

37. GrizzNKev

GrizzNKev

I know what it's like to work with programmers that can't spell. This kind of stuff is frighteningly common. It isn't an unusual thing to see programmers that proudly display their ineptitude for language and communication, because apparently logical thinking and effective expression are incompatible.

38. JimmyRowe1994

JimmyRowe1994

Programming is like that. It's like if you were reading a book but on page 257 there was a semi colon instead of a comma and now the whole fucking thing makes no sense.

39. Porygon

Porygon

Why the compiler didn't get this?

40. VariantX

VariantX

Wow. The aliens gaming franchise could have potentially gone in an entirely different direction and have an entirely different history...all over a single letter being where it wasn't supposed to be.

41. Killthee

Killthee

That’s one expensive typo.

42. Begaria

Begaria

I thought this was going to be a heart warming redemption story where a passionate fan had written into Gearbox to have the game fixed, and Randy took it upon himself to fix absolutely everything wrong with the game after so long.

Turns out the truth is actually even better than that. Fucking Gearbox, man.

43. Yukinari

Yukinari

44. Cam

Cam

I bet the guy who made the thread about getting this for 3 bucks is feeling validated now, haha

45. Molemitts

Molemitts

holy shit

46. Dullahan

Dullahan
    Resettlement Advisor Member

I am legit crying over here.

47. HStallion

HStallion

Aliens Colanial Marines.

48. Recrees

Recrees

That's hilarious.

49. Maquiladora

Maquiladora

50. how did the motherfuckers who made this shit, and made the AI, and expected it to run a certain way

how did they just not...follow up and look and say "something isn't right"