• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get angry. Why is everyone laughing at the school trying to minimise risk?

The principal and faculty are not politicians, they have no power to change gun laws. This change no matter how small is better than nothing and it's probably all they can do.

Instead of mocking the school maybe we should realise this is the limit of their power and therefore we need to apply more pressure onto the government.

My take as well.

This happens because politicians are useless, gutless morons who can't pass legislation. It's sad to see the school resorting to this, but what else can they do?.

All of those measures are so demoralising and alienating. As an European if I had to go through metal detectors when I was a student, wear clear backpacks and seeing police with guns at the school I would feel in a prison. This ends up influencing the vision those kids have from the world: a wild jungle, in which everyone is evil by default. And then the cycle continues. Think about it.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
7725-10.jpg
93c245a485d91b25cb3fefe7987ce152.jpg

Yeah, but you'd need an oversize special bag
Just curious. Let's say "school shooter" opens his bag and starts assembling this weapon, how long would he take to get it together and start shooting? Say, if he practices at home and not being having military or police training.

Any experts?

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't an idea I've ever thought of but it's pretty smart. Not the end all be all obviously but good. Wouldn't mind this being implemented everywhere, bare minimum it means free backpacks for kids.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just curious. Let's say "school shooter" opens his bag and starts assembling this weapon, how long would he take to get it together and start shooting? Say, if he practices at home and not being having military or police training.

Any experts?

Like less than 30 seconds. All you have to do is attach the upper and lower receiver.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that I don't even find this weird. I had a cousin tell me that they had to switch to clear backpacks over ten years ago.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All they would need to do is put their handgun in their three ringed binder and no one would see it.

Oct 31, 2017
It sucks but at least the school is trying to protect their students

it absolutely won't help if an expelled kid comes back to the school he's not supposed to be at and brings guns he should have never been able to buy legally

but the school is at least trying

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before but the United States will ban schools first before banning guns. What an embarrassment

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but at least the school is trying to protect their students

it absolutely won't help if an expelled kid comes back to the school he's not supposed to be at and brings guns he should have never been able to buy legally

but the school is at least trying
It's as simple as stating the fact that this rule wouldn't have prevented their mass murder.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people saying "they will do anything but the thing we need" aren't thinking right. The principal of a school cannot enact gun control. The principal of a school can only control the school, within the confines of laws and budgetary restrictions this year (which are shrinking every year). This is a dumb idea, but just leave it at that.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I realize a school principal can't unilaterally enact gun control for the state of Florida. But this is just... I mean come on, man. 100% of the time this will lead to embarrassing lapses in the students' privacy and 0% of the time this will prevent school shooters.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Airport scanners. Transparent backpacks, armed teachers. We're talking about *Schools* you utter fucking lunatics.

Last edited:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh you sweet summer children. They did this to my school district back in the late 90's/early 2000s after Columbine. I had to carry a damn stack of books everywhere I went because we weren't allowed to have backpacks. And if you left a book behind, you'd get detention. Really unfair.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh, of course, let's spend millions on forcing students to wear clear backpacks instead of doing anything to control guns. What the fuck America.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there actually many shootings where school kids take guns into school then decide on a whim to start shooting though? From my admittedly limited knowledge, the more high profile shooters drive to their targeted school fully kitted up and ready to go, without concealing their intentions. Didn't the Columbine shooters drive to school then just walk in and start blasting?

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I've said this before but the United States will ban schools first before banning guns. What an embarrassment

This feels horrifically prophetic. It should be ridiculous, but I can absolutely see a combination of fearful parents keeping their kids away, and rising budgets from which more and more money is funneled into security rather then education, resulting in the natural death of public schools.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Ahahahahhahaa your country is fucking broken

Most news sites have a school shooting tag now holy shit

This is so fucking absurd you can't even do anything but laugh it's like an onion skit

Oct 27, 2017
My high school was proposing this 15 years ago to curb gang violence and drug dealing. Thankfully it never took off at my school, but they did institute a rather strict uniform policy and some other related things instead. The clear backpack policy even seemed extremely dehumanizing in my school where it was probably justified, but it seems horribly offensive when you're introducing it to this school which I assume didn't have any weapon issues before their unfortunate tragedy.

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Airport style metal detectors.

I guess you could chance it and see if a Glock can make it through.

Then they would probably need Airport style xray machines
The entire slide on a Glock pistol is steel, it's just the frame that is polymer. All the fittings and springs are steel too. Ammunition is going to set of metal detectors too...

OP
OP
Zipzo

Zipzo

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Politicians are useless, so schools have to do something they can actually implement. I don't get the mockery.
I don't believe anyone here is mocking the school.

The guffaw is more so that, this is the best we can do. Something that's little more than security theater. Isn't that sad that this is really the best we have to offer our children who feel like they could literally die at school? Not because the school itself could do better, but that the entire circumstance has led to something like this being our absolute best and most optimal option.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I rememebr hearing about this being a thing at other schools years ago when I myself was in high school. Not in response to school shootings or anything but more gang violence and the like. Made a hell of a lot more sense for that reasoning lol

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's pathetic to think we'd rather give kids an invisible backpack instead of actually doing the thing that would keep them safe.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
This...isnt new. Quite a few have been doing it since the early 90's to help with gang problems. Some starting doing it directly after Columbine. I know a few in my area who also do it due to a brass knuckle epidemic in the early 2000's.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
If only that idiot was wearing a clear book bag ... he wouldn't have been able to shoot all those students and teachers.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
But...... anyone could just roll up to the entrance and shoot their way in.
A fucking clear bag will literally do nothing to stop it.

Holy shit I want to punch the person responsible, it might actually knock some sense in to them.