• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Almost 20 years ago my highschool had metal detectors at both main entrances. The school district was predominately black and was starved for money anyway. They had no issues getting them installed at pretty much every middle school and highschool. Why is this such an issue now?

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but what if the students start carrying guns inside of hollowed out books?

I think we're gonna also need clear books

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious. Let's say "school shooter" opens his bag and starts assembling this weapon, how long would he take to get it together and start shooting? Say, if he practices at home and not being having military or police training.

Any experts?

I saw someone else already replied, but it as simple as putting the upper on the lower, pushing a pin through to keep them both in place, and then loading it up and going.

Responsible owners who clean their rifle after shooting do that same procedure often. I haven't cleaned my dad's AR in probably 5 years (I dont own one myself) but I am confident I could still assemble the thing (push pin, action, and everything) in less than two minutes. Assembling it from where it is in the first picture you quoted would take maybe 15-20 seconds, if that. There is only one way to put them together, and it's not like you can screw it up and have to do it again.

Aside from that, there are short barrel rifles and collapsible stocks to make the size of bag needed even smaller. Same procedure to put them together.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a wise man once said:

if you can heal the symptoms
but not affect the cause
it's quite a bit like trying to heal
a gunshot wound with gauze

if you instead attempt to wrest
the pistol from the hand
then I would not be able to
equate my life with sand

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
you can still ball...

supreme-mesh-backpack-white-600x600.jpg

Shit, you true.

School's got my stamp of approval.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Just so people know, the clear backpacks (and IDs and more deputies on loan from the highway patrol) was not in response to the original shooting. This past week, one student pulled a knife on another in the cafeteria, another was brandishing a knife on the bus and still had it with him the next day when his backpack was searched, a third was making general threats against the school on Snapchat, one of the deputies assigned to guard the school was caught sleeping in his car, and the brother of Cruz walked right onto campus unimpeded after school hours but while sports were going on. (This is while his adoptive mother appeared with Gloria Allred in New York). And it turns out that the Cruz brother had been on campus THREE times in the past month without being stopped. The community is suffering and scared, and the original measures taken to better protect the school were a dismal failure so now the district has implemented a number of new policies. This was NOT done at the whim of the principal.

Makes a lot more sense. Thank you for elaborating.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Clear backpacks for all as a countermeasure, seems so wonderfully... dystopian.
As well as introducing the backpacks, there will also be airport-style metal detectors and school visitors will be funnelled through special gates.
So turn the school into a prison because politicians would rather let people die than introduce any amount of meaningful gun control, gotcha.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to know which vendor is making money off this stupid policy. Sounds like something straight out 9f Risk Scott's playbook.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Just so people know, the clear backpacks (and IDs and more deputies on loan from the highway patrol) was not in response to the original shooting. This past week, one student pulled a knife on another in the cafeteria, another was brandishing a knife on the bus and still had it with him the next day when his backpack was searched, a third was making general threats against the school on Snapchat, one of the deputies assigned to guard the school was caught sleeping in his car, and the brother of Cruz walked right onto campus unimpeded after school hours but while sports were going on. (This is while his adoptive mother appeared with Gloria Allred in New York). And it turns out that the Cruz brother had been on campus THREE times in the past month without being stopped. The community is suffering and scared, and the original measures taken to better protect the school were a dismal failure so now the district has implemented a number of new policies. This was NOT done at the whim of the principal.

is this normal for a school. so many threats and violence

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*wraps gun in hoodie then puts hoodie in bag*

Yeah. Fool proof solution here guys.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
This is dumb. Response to guns or knives, it's not going to be effective. It's just like the TSA dog and pony show.

PorkandBeans

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how many folks on the school board are getting kickbacks from whoever manufactures these stupid looking things.

Coffee

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö
Didn't the shooter start killing people outside the school? What good will this do if someone just decides to show up with a rifle and shoot his way inside the school? Are the metal detectors going to stop him?

Americas obsession with guns is baffling.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Clear backpacks... Airport style security..

When are they gonna go with clear clothing and full cavity searches... anything except banning guns

All this nonsense just to get into school and learn something, only in the US..

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The shit with metal detectors and all that, does it really work? Why would someone who plans on killing people care about setting off a metal detector?

Not really, no. The only person this MIGHT stop is a kid who stole their parent's gun and only planned on killing a specific person. With anyone planning a mass shooting, it's just gonna be that scene from The Matrix/Ultraviolet unless the guys at the metal detectors are armed.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Clear backpacks, alright, but what about the high school band?
Do they have to get clear instrument cases?
I mean, some gun cases and some saxophone cases look similar...

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get angry. Why is everyone laughing at the school trying to minimise risk?

The principal and faculty are not politicians, they have no power to change gun laws. This change no matter how small is better than nothing and it's probably all they can do.

Instead of mocking the school maybe we should realise this is the limit of their power and therefore we need to apply more pressure onto the government.
it's security theater that will do little or nothing to actually make the place safer while turning school into prison-lite for a bunch of kids who were just badly traumatized

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
I would deff walk into school with a clear backpack full of blatantly inappropriate objects.

Edit — Although actually this is Republica, I'd probably be shot.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Making backpacks clear won't prevent someone who isn't even a student from simply walking in through a door with an assault rifle and killing everyone.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Clear backpacks, alright, but what about the high school band?
Do they have to get clear instrument cases?
I mean, some gun cases and some saxophone cases look similar...
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Clear backpacks isn't the end of the world. But if you do that, you'll need clear cases for everything, which also doesn't sound totally unreasonable...

...Until you realize this is preschool shit and this is being done because gun control is a joke in the U.S.