• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaultyFork

Oct 28, 2017
Seems ridiculous, I'm glad I live in a country where I never had to see a single guard or any forms of security measures during my school years, just walk right in.

Dec 2, 2017
To be fair to a lot of the Americans on here, most people (reasonable people) seem to acknowledge some form of gun control is necessary. I imagine (I'm not terribly well versed on the subject) that its the political deadlock preventing any real progress being made, and I have no idea how to break it. Probably a lot of small steps that eventually lead to some form of legislation.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Perfect new market for Nike, Reebok, Supreme, Adidas to tap into. Trendy clear bags that are approved by the blah blah school council of the united states. Now your kid can be safe AND ultra hip/trendy with these new bags! Look extra cool this summer! *image of kid wearing large sunglasses and backpack against a white backdrop giving a cheesy thumbs up*

NRA are happy. Government is happy. Companies are happy. Trump is happy. Win win!

Only losers here are the victim's parents of every school shooting who have proverbially been spat on the face for this sorry excuse of a resolution to the continuing crisis of gun violence against children.

Last edited:

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
cache_4092391276.jpg

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of my high school post 9/11. We had to wear our school IDs on a lanyard at all times, or be instantly assigned after-school detention. You know, because a terrorist intruder wouldn't have an ID, and obviously being handed a detention slip would thwart any plot.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
God, I would hate having clear backpacks in school. No easier way for a girl to let the entire school know she is on her period than her pads/tampons being visible in her bag. Forget privacy since the NRA has congress members by the balls.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So you can bring a gun into school but your backpack has to be see through

AMERICA!

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
the right to bear guns is fundamental but the right to express yourself through choice of backpack is not? land of the free my ass

time to ban guns y'all

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe more wealthy people getting a taste of what poor inner city schools deal with will spur change?

Ah hell it'll just make them double down.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The cynic is me thinks a security company had a word in the superintendent's ear and has just made a nice profit out of all this.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Seems ridiculous, I'm glad I live in a country where I never had to see a single guard or any forms of security measures during my school years, just walk right in.

Me too. But I also grew up in a rural area of America 20 years ago where it was common for people to have hunting rifles in their truck every Friday and go camping/hunting right after class got out. There was problem 15-20 students with guns any given friday and no one thought twice about it.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the people saying "They'll do anything to keep their guns!", what do you want the government to do?

Banning guns all together is out of the realm of possibility, so what is it?

Wait times? Better background checks?

*Honest question =)

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You really have to wonder what needs to happen till America ask the hard question. Is the 2nd amendment still relevant and needed today? Before they don´t get rid of this awful thing everything they do is just treating the symptoms instead of the disease.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there actually many shootings where school kids take guns into school then decide on a whim to start shooting though? From my admittedly limited knowledge, the more high profile shooters drive to their targeted school fully kitted up and ready to go, without concealing their intentions. Didn't the Columbine shooters drive to school then just walk in and start blasting?

I think this is more psychological rather than practical. They want students to feel safe but management probably realise the impact will be minimal.

Much like life jackets on an airline. They are there more to make people feel safe rather than actually get used.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
What about students with disabilities who need extra supplies? Or teenage girls who keep hygiene products in their bag? I'd be mortified if my stuff was out in the open for everyone to see.

This is the stupid thing I've ever seen. These politicians will do everything but outlaw guns. On top of that, the shooter wasn't even a student! Unbelievable.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
For the people saying "They'll do anything to keep their guns!", what do you want the government to do?

Banning guns all together is out of the realm of possibility, so what is it?

Wait times? Better background checks?

*Honest question =)

Cant speak for any1 else, but I'd like:

- Raise the firearm purchase age limit to 21 across the board, with exception for those on active duty or reserves,
- Mandatory 1 week wait time across the board.
- Every 5 years. every gun owner must pass a written and practical exam on gun safety and operation of firearms. Failure to pass or refusal to take the exam should raise an automatic flag during the existing NICs background check process. Local gun ranges can host the exam.
- Purchase of a firearm should require a doctors note saying they are mentally fit. This note will be good for one year and the customer will bring it with them to the store.
- Have a voluntary government buyback program. You can head to your local police station and drop off your gun(s) in exchange for a tax credit.

I dont think any guns need to be outright banned.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Murica, fuck yeah!
You can buy as many guns, ar15 rifles, you name it, as you want. But kids are not allowed to use the backpack they want.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cant speak for any1 else, but I'd like:

- Raise the firearm purchase age limit to 21 across the board, with exception for those on active duty or reserves,
- Mandatory 1 week wait time across the board.
- Every 5 years. every gun owner must pass a written and practical exam on gun safety and operation of firearms. Failure to pass or refusal to take the exam should raise an automatic flag during the existing NICs background check process. Local gun ranges can host the exam.
- Purchase of a firearm should require a doctors note saying they are mentally fit. This note will be good for one year and the customer will bring it with them to the store.
- Have a voluntary government buyback program. You can head to your local police station and drop off your gun(s) in exchange for a tax credit.

I dont think any guns need to be outright banned.

I like all of these!

But a 1 Week wait doesn't seem like enough to me IMO. I feel like a month would be more appropriate.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
Just so people know, the clear backpacks (and IDs and more deputies on loan from the highway patrol) was not in response to the original shooting. This past week, one student pulled a knife on another in the cafeteria, another was brandishing a knife on the bus and still had it with him the next day when his backpack was searched, a third was making general threats against the school on Snapchat, one of the deputies assigned to guard the school was caught sleeping in his car, and the brother of Cruz walked right onto campus unimpeded after school hours but while sports were going on. (This is while his adoptive mother appeared with Gloria Allred in New York). And it turns out that the Cruz brother had been on campus THREE times in the past month without being stopped. The community is suffering and scared, and the original measures taken to better protect the school were a dismal failure so now the district has implemented a number of new policies. This was NOT done at the whim of the principal.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Why not just have check points and metal detectors like airports as well?
I remember watching an episode of The Sarah Connor Chronicles in 2007 and it had a scene with high school students going thru metal detectors on their way into the building.

I honestly thought this had been standard in American schools for over a decade now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Just so people know, the clear backpacks (and IDs and more deputies on loan from the highway patrol) was not in response to the original shooting. This past week, one student pulled a knife on another in the cafeteria, another was brandishing a knife on the bus and still had it with him the next day when his backpack was searched, a third was making general threats against the school on Snapchat, one of the deputies assigned to guard the school was caught sleeping in his car, and the brother of Cruz walked right onto campus unimpeded after school hours but while sports were going on. (This is while his adoptive mother appeared with Gloria Allred in New York). And it turns out that the Cruz brother had been on campus THREE times in the past month without being stopped. The community is suffering and scared, and the original measures taken to better protect the school were a dismal failure so now the district has implemented a number of new policies. This was NOT done at the whim of the principal.
Makes sense. Nice to have context.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
If only there was some way... some law... to prevent guns from getting into school.

Oh well, begin in the moat!

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Lol all these schools completely ignoring the main problem, are they being sponsored by NRA or just absolutely stupid?

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, this might just be a case of some people desperate trying to come up with a quick non-ideal solution to something they cannot fix themselves.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The shit with metal detectors and all that, does it really work? Why would someone who plans on killing people care about setting off a metal detector?

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord. Close this school down and start over.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is more psychological rather than practical. They want students to feel safe but management probably realise the impact will be minimal.

Much like life jackets on an airline. They are there more to make people feel safe rather than actually get used.

Life jackets on planes serve a purpose. Clear backpacks don't.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We did this at my high school during my last 2 years or so. I don't think it helps at all considering I hid stuff all the time in my backpack.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of an incident where a bomb detonated in a subway station. The terrorist put the bomb in a trash bin.

After that the great solution to terrorism was to change the trash bin for transparent cans and then they flat out removed all the trash bins from the subways, obviously people throws their trash into the plataform, one day I even saw rats moving there

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The kids should absolutely use this to springboard another protest.

Wear normal backpacks to school and refuse to use clear ones, plan another walkout with "NeverAgain" and something like "BeSerious".

This is seriously an insult to them and the effort they've put in to create meaningful change.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
This has been a thing since at least the 90's. It may not stop rampages, but it would make illegal carry harder which has been a big problem this year in the districts where I live.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know the 90's kids would've loved this what with their stupid transparent phones, watches, and Game Boy's. So fucking stupid(Black Game Boy FOREVER).