• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
fg9l8ensna491.jpg

From their Facebook group. They confirmed they've been letting people go and they don't have the employees to process refunds (and let's be real they don't have the money either) but somehow they're going to move forward with test units.
A professional communication. Astounding. They may have had a chance, a small one, if they had this guy in charge earlier instead of Thomas.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Yeah, exactly. The way they've set the expectation so low, and then the way the Amico fans has bought it and go along with it is just so stupid.

Did anyone see any of the Next Level Gaming stream they did last night after the email was released? Out of all the Amico streams that have been done, the stuff said in this one might have topped the stupidity and delusion of all of them.

Also because, on a purely human level, people lost their jobs and "GOOD NEWS!".

Ugh...

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Those are weasel words since StartEngine never released funds to IE.

Oh that explains how they still stole many preorders worth of funds still.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Seems weird to say "Amico ruined my channel." Pretty sure the Amico doesn't exist, and it certainly didn't take over his body to make numerous videos or spend hours arguing on Twitter.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So that's all these low key YouTube streamers were in it for, a chance to be in on it from the start and free kit before anyone else? No money, just empty promises and access to a veritable video game industry icon, one of the most successful video game composers in history who helped revolutionize the gaming world.

Lol.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is like the gift that keeps on giving. I can think of a certain podcast that will have a field day with the latest news... And yet the Amico higher ups still insist its coming out. Over/under on it lasting until the end of the year?

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Seems weird to say "Amico ruined my channel." Pretty sure the Amico doesn't exist, and it certainly didn't take over his body to make numerous videos or spend hours arguing on Twitter.
Yup, Amico didn't ruin shit! Idiots like DJC and Retro Bro selling their souls for mediocre android games and the chance to cosy up to that idiot Tommy was all it took for them to check their credibility, their brains, and their morals at the door. They all had no problem getting together with Tommy and other execs to go over press releases to better spin the bad news that was going to come out. They were fine with taking part in a concerted effort to bilk investors and fellow retro gamers out of money until Tommy stopped pretending to be their best bud...it's so pathetic.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Didn't RetroBro only just recently double-triple down on being Tommy's official unofficial mouthpiece for Amico news? What happened at the end for his duped genius to change his mind right after making that declaration of loyalty after so many facts for 2+ years couldn't?

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Yup, Amico didn't ruin shit! Idiots like DJC and Retro Bro selling their souls for mediocre android games and the chance to cosy up to that idiot Tommy was all it took for them to check their credibility, their brains, and their morals at the door. They all had no problem getting together with Tommy and other execs to go over press releases to better spin the bad news that was going to come out. They were fine with taking part in a concerted effort to bilk investors and fellow retro gamers out of money until Tommy stopped pretending to be their best bud...it's so pathetic.

Well, I guess that competition on other subjects is very, very strong. If you have a small channel (we are usually talking about <400 users here, last time I checked), you may be tempted to get yourself into such a niche.

I don't think it paid, actually. I've seen the viewership numbers on some of the youtubers you mentioned and... well... they are low.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
Didn't RetroBro only just recently double-triple down on being Tommy's official unofficial mouthpiece for Amico news? What happened at the end for his duped genius to change his mind right after making that declaration of loyalty after so many facts for 2+ years couldn't?
He subsequently made all of those private, and even hid his channel for a short while. I assume he does all this for internet attention, since there's nothing of value in anything he has said. At least the "haters" have some moral truth on their side as they waste time pointing and laughing at this debacle.

gundalf

May 6, 2022

I don't think it paid, actually. I've seen the viewership numbers on some of the youtubers you mentioned and... well... they are low.

I suppose for those small YouTubers, it was the first time experiencing being part of a tight group with a purpose and sense of importance which got them a lot of enjoyment. Money was never needed to bring these vulnerable guys onto the Amico train and Tommy knew this.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
I suppose for those small YouTubers, it was the first time experiencing being part of a tight group with a purpose and sense of importance which got them a lot of enjoyment. Money was never needed to bring these vulnerable guys onto the Amico train and Tommy knew this.
Sure seems that way. There's a real cultish vibe to many of them, particularly the ones who have rhapsodized about how they loved being in a community with likeminded friends to talk to. One of them hosted 2 Amico events at game stores around Massachusetts and credits Amico and Tommy Tallarico with saving his life.

Many of them would do well do watch some of these videos instead of Amico content. https://freedomofmind.com/videos/

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Well, I guess that competition on other subjects is very, very strong. If you have a small channel (we are usually talking about <400 users here, last time I checked), you may be tempted to get yourself into such a niche.

It's what makes it all so bizarre. If the Amico videos bumped them into 10's of thousands of views, I could see it being worth it, but scraping a thousand or two isn't going to do much. Then you see them talk about Tommy being their friend, and you realise how insidiously Tallarico courted those parasocial relationships, and it comes off as very exploitative.
It doesn't make sense on Tommy's end though either. He was banging about 3 billion potential customers, moving millions of units and getting bought out by tech giants. How the fuck did he expect that to happen when he was spending all his time courting Youtubers with hardly any subscribers? How were they going to reach millions of people? Is he THAT stupid, or does it show that he was talking bullshit the entire time and just trying to bilk the vulnerable out of money for a niche product that he knew wouldn't sell well, so wouldn't have to support for years after? Was he just hoping to con enough people to get a decent pay day and then watch it collapse so he didn't have to deal with it long term?

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
It's what makes it all so bizarre. If the Amico videos bumped them into 10's of thousands of views, I could see it being worth it, but scraping a thousand or two isn't going to do much. Then you see them talk about Tommy being their friend, and you realise how insidiously Tallarico courted those parasocial relationships, and it comes off as very exploitative.
It doesn't make sense on Tommy's end though either. He was banging about 3 billion potential customers, moving millions of units and getting bought out by tech giants. How the fuck did he expect that to happen when he was spending all his time courting Youtubers with hardly any subscribers? How were they going to reach millions of people? Is he THAT stupid, or does it show that he was talking bullshit the entire time and just trying to bilk the vulnerable out of money for a niche product that he knew wouldn't sell well, so wouldn't have to support for years after? Was he just hoping to con enough people to get a decent pay day and then watch it collapse so he didn't have to deal with it long term?

Yes Tommy is THAT stupid since he believes in "The Secret's" wishcasting things to life simply by talking and believing.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
Tommy Tallarico is a delusional narcissist who is high on his own supply. He has stated that he is a big believer in "The Law Of Attraction" as popularized by The Secret, the same "power of positive thinking" pseudo-religion that influenced Donald Trump. It's dangerous and destructive.

Add to that a surface understanding of marketing and network effects, including blind faith in "The Tipping Point," and Amico looks a lot like an Amway-style multilevel marketing scam, where the YouTube bros were expected to recruit followers of Amico, who would tell their friends, who would tell their friends…before you know it, everyone was supposed to be playing video CornHole at each other's houses, yessiree!

amicogames.com

Tommy likes “The Secret.” You can flip through it here.

Tommy likes “The Secret.” You can flip through it here.

amicogames.com

Why am I not surprised that Tommy leans on a pop psych guru’s discredited old book to guide his bad business plan?

Talking to an insular cult of Intellivision-box-collectors seems like a bad way to build up your influencer network. More about Malcolm Gladwell and his easily digested pablum here: A guru for the...

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
So that's all these low key YouTube streamers were in it for, a chance to be in on it from the start and free kit before anyone else? No money, just empty promises and access to a veritable video game industry icon, one of the most successful video game composers in history who helped revolutionize the gaming world.

Lol.
Again I somewhat liked Earthworm Jim franchise back in the 90s and have that nostalgia for old Virgin games but I'll never understand this shit.
That's like latching on Carrie Fisher's hair stylist during Star Wars (and I mean just epIV) and claim that this person helped revolutionize film making forever.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Oh Phil remembered to post a copy paste job of the email to the Republic project page and couldn't be arsed to write something specific for those they took the most money from.

Have an Amico Day!

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Phil remembered to post a copy paste job of the email to the Republic project page and couldn't be arsed to write something specific for those they took the most money from.

Have an Amico Day!

I'm sure he's personally processing those refunds himself, making him way too busy to write something else for investors. A Facebook post is good enough.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
honestly amusing to me that shortly after Retrobro "switched sides" TonyTGD the gamergater quickly became buddy-buddy with him when they were basically enemies beforehand, and the two pretty much went full-force on their horrid takes on Abortion and human rights, and Tony did it so often and horribly on Reddit that he got permabanned.

Not a sub. The whole site. Reddit as a whole is really damn hard to get banned from unless you really fucked up. Blows my mind people considered him a credibly journalist despite him being a horrid person that supported 1/6, dunked on vaccines, and pushed the election fraud mindset before and during his amico work. This thing imploding pretty much will reveal the true colors behind a lot of people involved on all ends, especially as their relevancy and attempts to use this trainwreck to pump up their outlets quickly fade, and I would not be shocked if fellow writer peers of mine did what I did and avoided covering this thing on a major/bigger scale due to folks like Tony/Retrobro/Darius/Smash JT polluting the place with toxicity

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a failed MLM

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I had a truly Amico Day when they announced the Amico was coming out THIS YEAR. Six Premium games.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
r/Intellivision_Amico has a great thread going where people pick a random number between 1-1000 then fact-check Tommy's claims on the corresponding page of the infamous AtariAge megathread (archived here). I feel like trying one, even though I'll probably get an early page that's like >40% Tommy posts, lol.
LOL Damn that says so much about Tommy

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I had a truly Amico Day when they announced the Amico was coming out THIS YEAR. Six Premium games.
Stoked you had an Amico day! It's great to see... (I already want to throw up in my mouth...).

I just randomly picked 117, not using some random # generator, and...

Marketing starts in the summer of 2020.

WHOMP WHOMP

The Wii is going on 14 years old and there is a whole new generation of kids who never grew up on it. Nintendo has shut down any and all online service for it and with the exception of 1 dance game... nothing new has been made for it in years. But the biggest factor I believe is that Nintendo NEVER actually focused on family entertainment for the system.

I'D STILL LIKE TO SEE IF THEY EVEN HAVE ANY KIND OF ONLINE SERVICE AT ALL FOR THE AMICO, AND IT HASN'T JUST TRANSFORMED INTO ANOTHER RUN-OF-THE-MILL PLUG 'N PLAY. I'M BETTING ON IT HAS

They were too busy with Metroid Prime (a game I worked on with Miyamoto), Smash Bros, Pikman, Zelda, Mario everything, Pokemon, etc.

DID HE ACTUALLY WORK WITH MIYAMOTO, OR DID HE SUBMIT SOME STUFF THAT LIKE... GOT REPLACED OR SOMETHING? I CAN'T REMEMBER THE ACTUAL STORY WITH THIS

And all the 3rd party publishers had their "C" teams on the platform because no one believed it in and all the important teams were working on PS & XBOX. This produced a pile of shovelware that plagued the system for its entire lifecycle.

NOT SURE I CAN FULLY DISAGREE WITH THIS, TBH, BUT IT JUST MAKES ME THINK OF THE NO-NAME OR "C" TEAMS MAKING SHOVELWARE FOR AMICO. WHO ELSE WAS THERE COMITTING TO THE PLATFORM?

Our FOCUS is on all those family and co-op games that was the real factor in making the Wii so successful.

Our research shows that current families who are still playing the Wii are the ones MOST excited about Amico!! They ARE our target and core audience! They will be the easiest to get... not a hard sell at all.

I'D BE SURPISED IF A FAMILY WHO WAS STILL PLAYING A WII IN 2019 WOULD SOMEHOW COME TO KNOW (OR DISCOVER) WHAT AN AMICO IS.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
On one of the many podcasts Tommy did, he said that Miyamoto came up to Tommy at a party and took him into a corner to tell him how he wanted him to do the sounds for Metroid.

He also claimed that Miyamoto had always loved his work and had always been wanting to work with him.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
On one of the many podcasts Tommy did, he said that Miyamoto came up to Tommy at a party and took him into a corner to tell him how he wanted him to do the sounds for Metroid.

He also claimed that Miyamoto had always loved his work and had always been wanting to work with him.

Oh, it gets even better than that. From an earlier post ITT:
It's important to note that there's still zero proof that Tommy ever worked on Metroid Prime at all, other than some copy/pasted text from an email that Tommy provided himself. And even if he DID briefly work on the game, the actual audio lead on Prime said there were only two weapon sound effects when he started and Miyamoto said one of the reasons Prime wasn't shown off as a demo at Space World 2001 was because he wasn't happy with the sound effects lol.

And to give credit, I got all the info here from this horribly presented but well-researched and cited YouTube video I watched a month or so ago.

What's ironic is that Tommy is a legit good video game composer, dude has made some real bangers. He had more than enough to be proud of with his ACTUAL accomplishments. The need to make himself seem more important than he is only hurts him. It's too bad he can't see that.

Among Tommy's other legion of terrible habits, he will claim that anyone and everyone he's ever met is his friend and that they love his work. It's a dumb lie that disintegrates under even a tiny bit of scrutiny, but Tommy's desire for whatever he can obtain from that lie completely overwrites everything else. To hell with consequences; his strategy is to just leapfrog from false claim to false claim faster than the truth can keep up.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020

Among Tommy's other legion of terrible habits, he will claim that anyone and everyone he's ever met is his friend and that they love his work. It's a dumb lie that disintegrates under even a tiny bit of scrutiny, but Tommy's desire for whatever he can obtain from that lie completely overwrites everything else. To hell with consequences; his strategy is to just leapfrog from false claim to false claim faster than the truth can keep up.
Also known as the "gish gallop." Unfortunately for Intellivision, the truth caught up with them. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gish_gallop

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK

One thing I would love to happen, is for someone to make a compilation of every single person Tommy has claimed is his friend. It's gotta be in the hundreds by now.

Audio here. He didn't sound like he was joking around or being sarcastic.
Whether this particular situation actually happened or not, I think he lives in some make believe land where he actually believes all the BS he says, which is why he always says the stuff so confidently.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Tommy's been good friends with Miyamoto for 30+ years, he's had "many long conversations" with Koji Kondo*, strange that he's never done anything else for Nintendo since...

*Does he speak any English?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Why would his mentor exile him to the wilderness like that?
It wasn't exile so much as it was a recognition that the genius of Tallarico shouldn't be confined to the mere tens or hundreds of millions of people who own a Nintendo machine, but should instead be available to the audience of billions that he would be able to target with his own machine.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The Amico clown show gave us Tommy unironically coining the term "Gaming Racists" when referring to people talking poorly about his garbage non-existent console. So I think this was all worth it in the end.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
The Amico clown show gave us Tommy unironically coining the term "Gaming Racists" when referring to people talking poorly about his garbage non-existent console. So I think this was all worth it in the end.
I wish someone would do an auto tune song about that, in the style of Sweet Brown or Antoine Dodson. I don't care if that trend is 10 years old, because Intellivision is 40.