Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is great news for Amico guys!

ixr0DTW.png
Wait…
They can't name it Intelevision anymore??
Just..Amico? Omg

Oct 27, 2017
So they've sold the Intellivision brand and all the game IPs that they still owned? Well I'm sure that's generated a few hundred grand in cash so that rocket ship will be taking off any time soon!

I want to know how much Atari paid for this.

It can't have been a lot. It's a bunch of forgotten IPs and clone games from 40-something years ago. No-one outside of Tommy's little cult gives a shit about Shark Shark or Astrosmash these days.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It can't have been a lot. It's a bunch of forgotten IPs and clone games from 40-something years ago. No-one outside of Tommy's little cult gives a shit about Shark Shark or Astrosmash these days.

I'm just waiting for the "we've always been at war with Eastasia" turn where they now insist that they've always thought the classic games were a detriment and jettisoning them is a great move.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what shackles the project has been freed from by shedding the Intellivision branding. It was already meaningless to pretty much everybody outside of retro gaming circles and people under the age of 40. If anything the Intellivision name is better having been freed from the shitshow that is the Amico.
Yup. The Intellivision brand was the only reason it was important originally, according to some. It would go back to that simpler time before Nintendo apparently ruined everything. I really dont get the screen shot'ed post because the reasons they highlight (the whole retro thing especially) was one of its initial selling points (I mean just look at the games released/promised so far.

Without the brand, people are going to give even less fucks. This is doomed worse than the Ouya ever was (at least that seemed to have a plan)

Jul 1, 2020
Yup. The Intellivision brand was the only reason it was important originally, according to some. It would go back to that simpler time before Nintendo apparently ruined everything. I really dont get the screen shot'ed post because the reasons they highlight (the whole retro thing especially) was one of its initial selling points (I mean just look at the games released/promised so far.

Without the brand, people are going to give even less fucks. This is doomed worse than the Ouya ever was (at least that seemed to have a plan)
The Ouya had a product that actually shipped and a killer app in Towerfall. The Amico has at least 1 protoype unit and a couple of dull prototype games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The Ouya had a product that actually shipped and a killer app in Towerfall. The Amico has at least 1 protoype unit and a couple of dull prototype games.
Exactly. I guess Coleco Chameleon was the only other comparison I could have used lol. But even something like Ouya had some level of success and was actually released. This thing has already games going third party prior to its console release!

Oct 27, 2017

In my opinion the unmitigated disaster of the Amico actually puts the actual successes of the OUYA into stark contrast. They managed to ship hardware (at a very reasonable $99), had their own storefront, a relationship with the development community and several exclusive games all on less than half the crowdfunding money that the Amico had. And they kept trucking along for more than 2 years after the hardware release before going up for sale.

The fucking Amico has been nothing but a scam and a few hundred grand extra from Atari isn't going to change anything.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
In my opinion the unmitigated disaster of the Amico actually puts the actual successes of the OUYA into stark contrast. They managed to ship hardware (at a very reasonable $99), had their own storefront, a relationship with the development community and several exclusive games all on less than half the crowdfunding money that the Amico had. And they kept trucking along for more than 2 years after the hardware release before going up for sale.

The fucking Amico has been nothing but a scam and a few hundred grand extra from Atari isn't going to change anything.

Even the fucking Gizmondo managed to ship like 20k units.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gizmondo is an even more amazing comparison. Because yeah that existed and had real games on it. Its also one of the most amazing stories when it comes to failed hardware. Its just so strange.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

Heck, Square even ported Final Fantasy III to it. I have little doubt that if the Ouya kept their momentum, they would have attracted many other big publishers as well.

Compared to everything about the Amico project, the Ouya absolutely radiates competence.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm my dad likes Intellivision and pretty sure he put cash down on this. I wonder if he knows the amico is just some weird nonsense now.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
If the Intellivision name had bad juju, then that means that everyone in charge of Intellivision contributed to the juju being bad. You can't slaveringly defend them for years and then turn around and say "Oh well, shit was bad anyway". The knots these clowns tie themselves in in order to keep justifying their unbelievably naivety...the world must be great when you're that deluded.