7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
The thing Tommy doesn't seem to realize is that he's the one fomenting most of the "hate".

Early response to the Amico was "neat!" or "not for me, but good luck to them". Then Tommy started making all kinds of weird claims ("better 2d than the PS4!" or whatever), so people started to get a little more dubious and question what exactly was going on.

Instead of toning it down, Tommy launched right into "you're all losers out to destroy me personally", which caused people to look more into Tommy and get more eyes on his erratic behaviour. Now Tommy and the product are fully intertwined, so any "attack" on Tommy is an "attack" on the Amico, or vice versa, and he just can't put the phone down.
This situation sounds like the Streisand effect on amphetamine lol

The last time I remember a high profile industry veteran acting like this was Dyack

Another alt-right creep.

What, Dyack is alt-right? I mean, he's crazy with a huge ego, but didn't know that. Wow.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
You gotta be kidding me! Whahahahaha! Imagine prostituting yourself for this product, this man.

zl7nMqR.png

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Getting so invested in a consumer product before its release always goes so well.

Good thing it doesn't seem like this'll actually release anytime soon.

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Getting so invested in a consumer product before its release always goes so well.

Good thing it doesn't seem like this'll actually release anytime soon.

Yeah, but like what's next? I mean by this time next year this thing will probably be either turned to vapor in the wind or selling for $50 on closeout. When it comes out you have like 25 minutes of video, Tommy isn't coming to hang out at your house anymore. Pretending to like Shark Shark can only go on for so long.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah, but like what's next? I mean by this time next year this thing will probably be either turned to vapor in the wind or selling for $50 on closeout. When it comes out you have like 25 minutes of video, Tommy isn't coming to hang out at your house anymore. Pretending to like Shark Shark can only go on for so long.

Pretty much. Never mind that building your "brand" around this thing is so weird. Once the system finally gets to market, what are you even going to make content about? Previews for the upcoming shovelware? They're barely getting any views for their weird YouTube in-fighting videos or their more substantive previews of the system.

I predict a spate of unboxing and review videos, a smattering of speculative "things will only get better from here!" videos, and then a lot of channel pivots. Tommy will have made his money off Youtubers and will retreat back to his Spider-Mansion.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix

So I just watched this which Tommy is calling "the most important Amico video ever" and it continues the trend of Amico promotional material of minimal footage of people using the device onscreen. Lots of tight shots of kids using the controllers without showing the corresponding action onscreen. Also in a three minute video which is a mixture of shots showing how super fun Amico is and testimonials about how super fun Amico is I'm surprised at how often they have to pull multiple quotes from the same people. How few people attended this Crayola event? My last thought on this video is that it doesn't feel geared toward potential customers or consumers. It feels geared toward investors. LOOK AT HOW FUN AMICO IS. YOU TOO CAN GET IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR OF THIS OPPORTUNITY.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
And here I thought the OUYA would remain the ultimate laughing stock of crowd funded consoles.

But nope: my comedy equation, for both male and female alike, had completely disregarded the wild card that is Tommy Tallarico. Thank you Tommy Tallarico, you are a class act. Very competent, much experience.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Atari at least had the decency to put out their shitty crowdfunded console in total silence. Tommy just can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Atari at least had the decency to put out their shitty crowdfunded console in total silence. Tommy just can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

Atari's machine is actually pretty alright, and I say this as someone with no general love for atari at all. It's actually a competent PC (though by no means suitable for AAA or anything), and that retro game store subscription thing they have is actually pretty cool with a lot of games on it.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK

So I just watched this which Tommy is calling "the most important Amico video ever" and it continues the trend of Amico promotional material of minimal footage of people using the device onscreen. Lots of tight shots of kids using the controllers without showing the corresponding action onscreen. Also in a three minute video which is a mixture of shots showing how super fun Amico is and testimonials about how super fun Amico is I'm surprised at how often they have to pull multiple quotes from the same people. How few people attended this Crayola event? My last thought on this video is that it doesn't feel geared toward potential customers or consumers. It feels geared toward investors. LOOK AT HOW FUN AMICO IS. YOU TOO CAN GET IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR OF THIS OPPORTUNITY.

They didn't show all the times Tommy had trouble trying to get the controller(s) working.

Edit: In the video was a) A man wearing an Intellivision hat who has made over 70 videos on the Amico, b) A man wearing an Amico t-shirt who has made over 50 videos on the Amico, c) A kid wearing an Amico t-shirt.

I wonder how many of the people in the video aren't Amico Youtubers or family of those who are.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atari's machine is actually pretty alright, and I say this as someone with no general love for atari at all. It's actually a competent PC (though by no means suitable for AAA or anything), and that retro game store subscription thing they have is actually pretty cool with a lot of games on it.
They followed through with it which is nice to see. The price is the crazy part but I don't think it's that bad at all. I'm extremely wary of this all together.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I think I may have found a cringier Amico song.

Bonus, this person had made 71 Amico videos on their channel and despite routinely getting less than 100 views on content he has done multiple "hard-hitting" interviews with Tommy. Explain to me why the CEO of a company which is allegedly 3 months out from their console launch would have the time to do interviews with a YouTuber that has less than 100 views per video? So much of Tommy's business model is to leverage parasocial relationships in really toxic ways. Other fun call-out, if you've watched the Crayola video which Tommy calls "the most important Amico video ever" this YouTuber and his family are in it. Mr. Sub 100 views is one of the testimonials. So here's a question, the Crayola video is obviously intended to raise capital, how many of the people presented as random man on the street interviews at this event are parasocial Tommy fans that flew in for the event instead of people who stopped at the display because they were curious? If they were all fans that flew in how much coaching do you think happened before the interview clips?

"Hey pal, make it sound like you've never heard of the Amico before today."

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Bad move for Tommy to lash out like that.

Most of the dev portal stuff isn't even that bad. Though only 1MB available for controller assets is a pretty big limitation, no 3D games is a headscratcher, and lol at the Wii U callout:

Agreed.

The article was not a hit piece in any way.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Seems weird that the crayon museum was entirely populated by "everyday people" who say things like "I can't wait until this console comes to market" and wear videogame shirts (and hats that feature the product's logo) that day.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Seems weird that the crayon museum was entirely populated by "everyday people" who say things like "I can't wait until this console comes to market" and wear videogame shirts (and hats that feature the product's logo) that day.
Bet they got their "regular people" from the same agency as those Chevy ads.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a fiend myself I guess the Amico just isn't for me

Oh well, I'll have to play Shark Shark somewhere else

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
As a fiend myself I guess the Amico just isn't for me

Oh well, I'll have to play Shark Shark somewhere else

It just so hilariously plays to his narcissism. 'Tommy's put up with so much'? What? People wanting information on inconsistencies in legally mandated investment disclosures? Questions about the seemingly unresolved issue of input lag? And he retweets himself after trying to distance himself from the "Switch is the rape console" comment. FUEL FOR FIENDS!!!

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Also, regarding the "Christian values" mentioned in that tweet: weren't people in this thread joking that Tommy would/should market this thing exclusive on Christian broadcast infomercials?

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I can't find any evidence that he exists outside of Twitter. Tommy is definitely retweeting a parody account. Even nothing using TinEye on the user pic.