First contact - pocket arrives
  • Montane

Oct 27, 2017
    01ik3v7.jpg

Finally

Dock crackle is normal
  • ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
    Analogue responded to me about the crackling issues and this is what they said

There is no need to worry as this is normal. The USB-C connector contacts are making this sound and as the Dock is used more, the sound will diminish.

Should there be any further queries or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thank you!

Not much info but they claim its normal.

šŸ‘©ā€šŸŽ“ Beginner's guide
  • Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
    The Fallen
    Oct 25, 2017
    Toronto
    mine's out for delivery!

Is there a true step by step guide for an absolute dummy on how to get up and running? I mostly want to focus on gbc, gba, and snes roms

I guess this could be considered a "beginner's guide".

1. Run one of the auto updaters (they're all easy to use although Pup and Pocket Sync are updated more often) to put everything you need on your SD card, including the most recent Pocket firmware.

Linux/Mac/Windows
    github.com

Releases Ā· mattpannella/pupdate

Pupdate - A thing for updating your Analogue Pocket - mattpannella/pupdate

o7MeflF.png

Windows GUI
    github.com

Releases Ā· RetroDriven/Pocket_Updater

Windows GUI Application to Update Cores for the Analogue Pocket - RetroDriven/Pocket_Updater

FZtyHwX.png

Pocket-Sync Linux/Mac/Windows GUI
    github.com

Releases Ā· neil-morrison44/pocket-sync

A GUI tool for doing stuff with the Analogue Pocket - neil-morrison44/pocket-sync

9Lnlupk.png

2. Add your own ROMs for handheld/console/computer games in their respective folders. For example, Assets>gb>common for Game Boy games or Assets>nes>common for NES games. They can be in sub-folders within that folder if you have them organized that way.
    3. When you boot the Pocket with a newer firmware version on the SD card than what's installed it'll update your Pocket. Putting the Pocket on your Dock will also update the Dock's firmware.

A few other things new users may want to do:

1. Tools>Developer>USB SD Access = allows you to connect your Pocket to a computer with a USB cable to add/remove stuff to the SD card. It's super slow though and you shouldn't do it to add a bunch of stuff to it. You're better off popping the SD card out of the Pocket and connecting it to an SD reader on your PC for large transfers.

2. If you want a set of alternate images for the cores then there are a few different packs you can download. Drag and drop the "Platforms" folder to the root of your SD card to overwrite them. The "pics" folder is just there to preview what it'll look like on your Pocket.

github.com

Releases Ā· terminator2k2/Analogue-Pocket-Core-Art

Art files for Pocket core's . Contribute to terminator2k2/Analogue-Pocket-Core-Art development by creating an account on GitHub.

Another one.

Here's a third set of alternate images with region specific details and images. For example you can have the NES core show a Famicom and the release date as 1983 if you download Japan.zip or show a NES and the release date as 1985 if you download USA.zip.

qmZcTuO.gif

github.com

Releases Ā· MegaZXretro/Analogue-Pocket-Custom-Platform-Art

Give your new openFPGA cores some visual flare with some custom platform art by @MEgaZXretro - MegaZXretro/Analogue-Pocket-Custom-Platform-Art

3. You can keep an eye on the list of all the Pocket cores available on this page. The auto updater will grab almost all of them unless you disable them. The only ones it won't grab are the beta cores by Jotego because you need to be a Patreon supporter of his and grab the beta key from there. It'll now grab the public Jotego cores.

Analogue Pocket

This site was created to document openFPGA cores and their related devices.

4. Settings>Analogue OS>Group openFPGA = it'll group cores by category (Arcade, Computer, Console, Handheld). You can make custom categories by using the GUI updater or by manually editing the json files in the "Platform" folder with a text editor and changing what's on the "category" line.

Also, in terms of actual cards, if I set up gba to use roms, can I still just throw in a cart and play that way?
    Yes, you select "Play Cartridge" to play carts or "openFPGA" then the core then the ROM to play ROMs.

Last edited:
    OpenFPGA State of the Union
  • dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
    Gifu, Japan
    Are we still mostly just getting arcade cores from Jotego or has anyone else been stepping up to do more? It was starting to feel for awhile like all the interest in this from hobbyist programmers just dried up.
    Here's where I see the current state of openFPGA development.

agg23, as we all know retired from development earlier this year. But, even so, he's still incredibly active on the FPGA discord and always helps out other developers there when they have questions. Boogerman is also always there answering dev questions, too. There are two prominent cases of this.

First, more recently, there's a guy budude2 who is working on Commodore 64. Almost daily he has questions for them, and he makes more and more progress getting things working on the core.

Up until a month ago, mcc was on there, too, with daily questions about getting things working. Mcc is apparently pretty renowned in the retro space or the hacker space or the dev space in general? I'm sorry but I don't really know who they are... Additionally, everything they were talking about in dev was beyond me, too. Not just details of implementation, but the overall purpose. I think they were making a python compiler for openFPGA.

In addition to these new names in the Pocket space, we have atrac17, who is one of the more prominent figures for Mister (and the spearhead for the Mars project). As mentioned earlier, they will be porting their cores to the Pocket starting October 31st. pram0d is part of this, too.

Another dev, Shane Lynch has been working on a Sega Pico core, but he's been working on that for Mister for years.
    https://twitter.com/iequalshane/status/1712908588685865263

Coming back to the names that we know.

Mazamars, aka UltraFP64, announced a while ago that he was working on Star Wars Arcade. He also mentioned working on Vectrex and that he mapped out a core for Virtual Boy. He has been silent for around 2 months now. I think Analogue hired him to help work on their N64.

Boogerman has been sitting on his massive treasure trove of arcade game ports for months and months. Over a year ago was when he put up that Product page on OpenGateware's github and before summer he reorganized everything in what seemed like a final effort to start releasing things. He said July/August, but it's October now. I think that he wants everything to be perfect before release, but I'm not sure what the roadblock is.

Anton Gale made some great cores, and he mentioned months ago that he was working on a core for TARG. I haven't seen any updates on that.

nullobject made the Tecmo core very early on, and it seemed like he was working on porting his Cave core over, but he has gone completely silent for almost a year now.

But, we also have Jotego. But my count, he has released 43 cores on the Pocket making him the most prolific Pocket dev by far. Their current project is Namco System 1, which includes Splatterhouse, Pacmania, and Dragon Spirit, among others, currently slated for beta release next wekeend. Also, he has been working on Neo Geo Pocket but has come across problem after problem.

Next is Spirtualized. With the release of Pocket Adapters, I think it's safe to expect a core release for each of those systems. Neo Geo Pocket and Color cores would be amazing. Although, I wonder if that contributes to Jotego's frustration on their core.

Lastly, another dev terminator2k2 has been making updates on a few cores. He released an update for Neo Geo so it'll play a few more games. He released a Super Nintendo update so it'll play that Star Fox rom hack and all of kandowontu's FastRom hacks. He's almost done getting BSX games running on it, too.
    -----
    I think that's everything.

šŸ“Š Colors Sold Out Order
  • OP
    OP
    SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
    Classic Colors Sold Out Order (2023-11-17)
    Indigo8:06
    GqfkR5N.png
    Silver8:09
    Red8:52
    Blue8:53
    Green9:18
    Yellow9:28
    Orange11:40ish
    Pink6:00pm-ish

Transparent Colors Sold Out Order (2023-09-29)
    Purple8:04
    GqfkR5N.png
    Smoke8:06
    Blue8:08
    Clear8:08
    Green8:09
    Orange8:10
    Red8:11

Last edited:
    OS v2.1
  • mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
    Honduras
    https://www.analogue.co/support/pocket/firmware/2.1

New firmware v2.1 dropped:

OS

• Minor UI fixes

openFPGA

• Added "Stretch CRT Width" size option
    • Fixed CRT Trinitron settings not saving
    • Fixed crash on some cores when entering Display Mode menu
    • Fixed Display Mode bug where grayscale modes caused bad core communication

Developer

• Added global hotkey to enable (Analogue + X) and disable (Analogue + Y) USB SD Access at any time
    • Fixed Builds list to remember the last core started through it

APF

• Added Target command support for files larger than 4GB: [0181 Data slot read (48bit)] and [0185 Data slot write (48bit)]
    • Updated Host command [0082 Data slot request write] to support 48-bit file sizes
    • Updated Host command [008A Data slot update] to support 48-bit file sizes
    • Updated data slot BRAM writes to support 48-bit file sizes
    • Fixed data slot read/write commands when length is 0xFFFFFFFF

Dock

• Fixed pairing with 8BitDo N30 2.4G

Analogizer Adapter
  • dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
    Gifu, Japan
    The Analogizer now has a website where you can buy it.
    analogizer-fpga.com

Analogizer-FPGA

Here you can purchase the Analogizer adapter and other accessories to play with your original Neogeo, NES, SNES or PCEngine controllers on the FPGA Pocket portable console. You can also watch the game on your favorite CRT screen.

Here's more information about it:
    github.com

Analogizer/README_en.md at main Ā· RndMnkIII/Analogizer

Wiki and info about the Analogizer-FPGA adapter for the Analogue Pocket console - RndMnkIII/Analogizer