• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is 1.1 firmware dropping?

• Friday (28th)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Weekend (29-30)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Monday (31st)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • February

Votes: 20 58.8%

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well the bigger issue is that it likely wouldn't hit them as hard as it would customers since the hinges only have to survive the warranty period. I'd rather they focus on a much larger screen and preferably in a landscape form factor. I'll take better ergonomics over being able to pocket a portable gaming devices 10 times out of 10.

That's fair but let's agree to disagree there, ergonomics are also partially subjective and I never and still don't have a problem with the GBA SP even when playing for longer periods of time. I agree though that it probably wouldn't be very viable for Analogue :/

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The latest pattern seems to be that the link cable is the blocker. Every other accessory has been in confirmed shipments thus far.
Ah, I actually didn't put that on this order, here's what's in the order:

1x Game Gear Cartridge Adapter for $29.99 each
1x Fast charging USB-C Power Supply for $19.99 each
1x Tempered Glass Screen Protector for $15.99 each
1x Pocket Hard Case for $29.99 each
1x Analogue Dock for $99.99 each
2x Analogue Pocket - Black for $219.99 each

That's for my order in the #95XXX range which still has yet to ship to the US.

I placed another more recent order with all of the link and MIDI cables when I also preordered the pack of other cart adapters.

Feb 27, 2019
Anyone have any recommendations for soft cases for the Pocket? Mine is supposed to arrive on Tuesday and I want to take it with me on a work trip Thursday.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
So my group B order I should have this year. I didn't order a dock as I mainly wanted it for handheld but with all these new cores I'm regretting it. I just went to order the dock and OMG that price. Shipping alone is insane...

zSdyEoY.png

QdxTKgP.png

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
So my group B order I should have this year. I didn't order a dock as I mainly wanted it for handheld but with all these new cores I'm regretting it. I just went to order the dock and OMG that price. Shipping alone is insane...

zSdyEoY.png

QdxTKgP.png
It's pretty crazy. I just checked and to ship the dock to Germany is $60 now. My pocket shipped for $35 last year. Can't really justify picking it up with such exorbitant shipping costs. :/

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
Feb 25, 2022
I wouldn't mind a larger screen in landscape format with better ergonomics. But I don't think Analogue should or is likely to put out such a product alongside this iteration of the Pocket. That seems like something they'd wait on an Analogue Pocket 2 to do, which likely won't come to fruition for a very long time (5+ years).

I haven't seen it in-person yet but the screen on this thing seems incredibly good, so they'd have to wait until they could get a display that is notably better at a similar price point to this one. Perhaps later down the road a QD-OLED display at small sizes will be a possibility (supposedly Samsung is going to introduce a 27" variant soon, possibly for an Apple monitor, and if that comes to pass perhaps over time the Samsung OLED screens that iPhones currently use will get upgraded to QD-OLED). But that is very far away from even being a possibility.

I also think a successor would need to have a more powerful FPGA in it, one that would allow the device to be capable of running PS1, Saturn, and potentially even N64 cores (if/when the community figures out how many ALMs are needed to crack that latter nut along with someone that is able and willing to develop the core itself).

Being able to output at 4k (or whatever the nearest-neighbor resolution to 4k that divides the most cleanly into the largest number of native resolutions of the various systems it runs is) from the dock would also be nice to have from a theoretical Pocket 2.

I think they'd have to deliver all of those features at a similar price point to justify putting out a successor. And being able to do so is a pipe dream currently. Perhaps it will be feasible 5-10 or so years from now, though. We'll see.

In the meantime I'm very happy with what's on offer with this first iteration of the Pocket. Gonna have a lot of quality time spent on great old games with this thing.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

zSdyEoY.png

QdxTKgP.png
Yeah, their shipping prices are now completely insane. Wanted to get the pocket converter, and with the forced addition of the 2 other converters and the shipping, i've had to paid in total 160+ for it. Probably will never order another thing from them, even if i wanted the dock too, since that is way too much.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
If the shipping prices in any way reflected the cost of shipping I'd have ordered the adapters.

If that doesn't change neither will the "not ordering".

Given the adapters don't really *do* much in an FPGA space I wonder if a 3rd party might take a punt.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
My Pocket was just delivered (to Germany) at 7 a.m., lol wtf. Wasn't charged any additional vat/tax this time, weirdly enough. At least not at the door. Was already prepared to pay another 50€ or so like I had to with my Super NT years ago.

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
My Pocket was just delivered (to Germany) at 7 a.m., lol wtf. Wasn't charged any additional vat/tax this time, weirdly enough. At least not at the door. Was already prepared to pay another 50€ or so like I had to with my Super NT years ago.
FedEx will send you an invoice later, together with a hefty "I made it the fuck up" fee

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I also got a surprise delivery from Fedex this morning! My pocket actually got here (Switzerland) two days earlier than expected.

I already played a round of Tetris on it and the screen really is as impressive as everyone made it out to be.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
FedEx will send you an invoice later, together with a hefty "I made it the fuck up" fee
Fedex never delivers without me paying the D&T upfront. But anyway if you want to avoid the 10$/€ processing fee, just register a business account on fedex.com and they'll waive it all the time (a fedex employee gave me that tip)

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
After two weeks of Preparing I'm onto Processing! (#106xxx).

Guessing two or three weeks here… but at least progress.

anemovision

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Aug 8, 2018
finally getting mine this week, I've got the most important games on their original cart but theres a handful of games (gba/gb) that used batteries that I would prefer to play a rom than deal with a dying battery, is this possible yet? if so how do I do it?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How long did it take to ship from those in the states? From shipping notification email to door?

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
mine's out for delivery!

Is there a true step by step guide for an absolute dummy on how to get up and running? I mostly want to focus on gbc, gba, and snes roms

Also, in terms of actual cards, if I set up gba to use roms, can I still just throw in a cart and play that way?

👩‍🎓 Beginner's guide

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
mine's out for delivery!

Is there a true step by step guide for an absolute dummy on how to get up and running? I mostly want to focus on gbc, gba, and snes roms

I guess this could be considered a "beginner's guide".

1. Run one of the auto updaters (I prefer the Windows GUI one because I find it easier to change options but you can't go wrong with any of them) to put everything you need on your SD card, including the most recent Pocket firmware.

Linux/Mac/Windows
github.com

Releases · mattpannella/pupdate

Pupdate - A thing for updating your Analogue Pocket - mattpannella/pupdate

Windows GUI
github.com

Releases · RetroDriven/Pocket_Updater

Windows GUI Application to Update Cores for the Analogue Pocket - RetroDriven/Pocket_Updater

Pocket-Sync Linux/Mac/Windows GUI
github.com

Releases · neil-morrison44/pocket-sync

A GUI tool for doing stuff with the Analogue Pocket - neil-morrison44/pocket-sync

2. Add your own ROMs for handheld/console/computer games in their respective folders. For example, Assets>gb>common for Game Boy games or Assets>nes>common for NES games. They can be in sub-folders within that folder if you have them organized that way.
3. When you boot the Pocket with a newer firmware version on the SD card than what's installed it'll update your Pocket. Putting the Pocket on your Dock will also update the Dock's firmware.

A few other things new users may want to do:

1. Tools>Developer>USB SD Access = allows you to connect your Pocket to a computer with a USB cable to add/remove stuff to the SD card. It's super slow though and you shouldn't do it to add a bunch of stuff to it. You're better off popping the SD card out of the Pocket and connecting it to an SD reader on your PC for large transfers.

2. If you want a set of alternate images for the cores then there are a few different packs you can download. Drag and drop the "Platforms" folder to the root of your SD card to overwrite them. The "pics" folder is just there to preview what it'll look like on your Pocket.

github.com

Releases · terminator2k2/Analogue-Pocket-Core-Art

Art files for Pocket core's . Contribute to terminator2k2/Analogue-Pocket-Core-Art development by creating an account on GitHub.

Another one.

Here's a third set of alternate images with region specific details and images. For example you can have the NES core show a Famicom and the release date as 1983 if you download Japan.zip or show a NES and the release date as 1985 if you download USA.zip.

qmZcTuO.gif

github.com

Releases · MegaZXretro/Analogue-Pocket-Custom-Platform-Art

Give your new openFPGA cores some visual flare with some custom platform art by @MEgaZXretro - MegaZXretro/Analogue-Pocket-Custom-Platform-Art

3. You can keep an eye on the list of all the Pocket cores available on this page. The auto updater will grab almost all of them unless you disable them. The only ones it won't grab are the beta ones by Jotego because you need to be a Patreon supporter of his and grab them from there. It'll now grab the public Jotego cores.

Analogue Pocket

This site was created to document openFPGA cores and their related devices.

4. Settings>Analogue OS>Group openFPGA = it'll group cores by category (Arcade, Computer, Console, Handheld). You can make custom categories by using the GUI updater or by manually editing the json files in the "Platform" folder with a text editor and changing what's on the "category" line.

Also, in terms of actual cards, if I set up gba to use roms, can I still just throw in a cart and play that way?
Yes, you select "Play Cartridge" to play carts or "openFPGA" then the core then the ROM to play ROMs.

Last edited:

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
My dock stopped working recently so I put in a repair request, has anyone needed to do anything like this with Analogue and if so how long were you missing your item while it gets fixed?

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
I picked up a gameboy everdrive to use with the pocket earlier this year, but it feels superfluous now that it's cores galore over here. Is there any advantage to playing on everdrive aside from being able to use the cart on other gameboys now?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, wow, I just got a "preparing" email for my #122xxx order. Looks like I have a long way to go still before it actually ships but I was fully expecting not to hear about anything until 2023, based on everyone else's Group B order numbers.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
is anyone here strictly doing physical carts? Seems like all I hear about in this thread is modding.
There is no modding involved with installing fpga cores. It's all official functionality. I am still using carts though, except when I'm playing SNES games. I guess not "strictly" carts. But I am slowly working through my old games. Never did finish DQ3 a couple decades ago….

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
#110 here and my order status just changed from preparing (oct 31) to processing just now. i didn't get a notification email either.

seems like the wheels are turning right now

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
My #114xxx order is being prepared to ship too.

Any past experience as to how long it took to arrive to the UK?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
There is no modding involved with installing fpga cores. It's all official functionality. I am still using carts though, except when I'm playing SNES games. I guess not "strictly" carts. But I am slowly working through my old games. Never did finish DQ3 a couple decades ago….

I was just using the term modding as a colloquialism. but using ROMs instead of carts is what I meant. I'm looking at my faves from my childhood and most are gettable, at least just buying the cart only. As long as I don't want a box/manual.

I kick myself for all the SNES games I sold. I kept the boxes in perfect condition. I remember selling a mint in box Chrono Trigger for about $60 back in 1996 so I could use the money towards the N64 launch...

DRULYBXA

Oct 25, 2017
Received it today, exactly 11 months after ordering it. Stuck in my OG Tetris cart and honestly... wow at this screen! Pre-prep with the Updater script worked a treat - going to have a nice evening testing out the cores.