• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

View: https://youtu.be/iAHLrlauqwk?t=167

To recap what Nate said in his latest podcast about the new Switch

View: https://youtu.be/1GP5qsWKzxQ

Has been told it will launch with an 8 inch LCD Screen
512GB of internal storage
Nate has been hearing late 2024 for launch (september - early october)
Nate seems certain it'd launch with 3d mario

View: https://twitter.com/Neoxon619/status/1687162493045522436?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1687162493045522436%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

peAt5b5.png

1I1wVgn.png

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if it launches in Fall 2024, I don't expect a reveal in Q1 2024. They'll likely wait until next fiscal such as April or May for the reveal of the console, and then a proper E3-like Direct in June that blows the door open on all the games.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Andy also says that he's heard about 3D Mario at launch from 3-4 sources as well as reports of a new cartridge format.

Keep in mind that Nate specifies these as INFORMED SPECULATION, so a lot can change between now & Late 2024.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I'm not going to watch a YouTube video. The extent of the info is the storage size and screen size? Anything else of note?

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
if it launches in Fall 2024, I don't expect a reveal in Q1 2024. They'll likely wait until next fiscal such as April or May for the reveal of the console, and then a proper E3-like Direct in June that blows the door open on all the games.
Reveal in Q1 FY2024/5. The thing many people is not considering is that Nintendo will not burn Switch CY sales just for hype.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Jeez, we've been expecting a revision or successor "in the next year" for like half this thing's life.

Seven and a half years without any real significant spec bump, redesign, or price drop is insane. Like, think, we saw GameBoy Advance (landscape) -> SP (clamshell and backlight) -> Micro AND a DS system -> all alongside the transition from N64 to GameCube and preperation for the Wii in the same amount of time.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dang, first Nintendo console shipping with more than 32 gigs. What a time to be alive.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What does a new cartridge format mean for BC?
MVG speculated that it'll be 3D NAND from the same manufacturer as the Switch 1 cartridges, so they could fit the same shape & mechanism while being a new chip. This should still allow physical BC.

Speaking of which, Andy mentioned in the podcast that if the Switch 2 lacks BC, it won't be due to technical hurdles (but rather a conscious decision to leave it out).

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
new cartridge format? oh god.... just have another slot for Switch games or hopefully the slot is also BC

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
MVG speculated that it'll be 3D NAND from the same manufacturer as the Switch 1 cartridges, so they could fit the same shape & mechanism while being a new chip. This should still allow physical BC.

Speaking of which, Andy mentioned in the podcast that if the Switch 2 lacks BC, it won't be due to technical hurdles (but rather a conscious decision to leave it out).
Yeah, and I doubt they wanna damage the brand by not doing BC

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Maybe me going all-digital with the Switch payed off if the new cartridge format isn't backwards compatible.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Might be overthinking it but I wonder if a large internal storage implies the new system won't support running games off the cart and require installs for all (at least current gen) carts.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking the new cartridge will be like NDS to 3DS. Slight modification, but still backward compatible. It basically mean you just can't insert new cart into current Switch.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Please for the love of God let there be an OLED model at launch. Going to be rough going back to an LCD screen if not

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
All I really want is backward compatibility to physical switch games as I own a ton. And a better battery would be nice too.