kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a lot more concerned about the new cartridge than the LCD screen.
I hope it's a GB(C)->GBA or DS->3DS situation. Where the slot was largely the same but the cartridge internals changed.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Andy also says that he's heard about 3D Mario at launch from 3-4 sources as well as reports of a new cartridge format.

Keep in mind that Nate specifies these as INFORMED SPECULATION, so a lot can change between now & Late 2024.
I really hope with all my soul the new cart format is cheaper than the one on the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
I swear era is the masters of taking the absolute worst of little information. A new cart formart doesnt automatically mean no BC. Most Nintendo handhelds do this and they had bc

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
oh a new card ridge for…

The…. What….

New format might mean unable to slot old physical games so no bc

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Oh God we're going to have years and years of OLED begging in every single Switch 2 thread aren't we?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
3D Mario at launch is what I need. Give me more of what we got in Odyssey, I loved that game and, until Dread launched, it was my favorite Switch game.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I just hope the new cartridge type has a new taste to go along with it.

Keep things fresh, in my mouth.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The new cartridge format might be extra protection to prevent an old Switch from dumping Switch 2 carts.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Hoping this doesn't just devolve into a whole second thread of people moaning about the LCD screen even though it's pretty obvious Nintendo would never launch a console with OLED when they could launch a revision later with it to entice double-dipping.

Not to mention, if it's a choice between a slightly nicer handheld screen or moving from 32GB internal storage to 256-512GB internal storage on a more powerful machine, in an era when games are regularly getting closer to 100GB per title on competitor systems and PC, I'd much rather Nintendo focused on delivering higher capacity storage.

Sony's handheld and the Steam Deck both use LCD screens too, but I feel like it's only with the Switch successor that people have kicked up such a massive stink.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Andy also mentioned that apparently major publishers don't want backwards compatibility as it affects sales. They specifically mention that PS5 software sales are down due to the availability of legacy titles

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I can't help but think that the reason Nintendo is going with a large 8" display is to accommodate a bigger and less thermally efficient SoC on an old, outdated node.

Hoping we get T239 on TSMC 4N, but I'm worried that creating such a large device is suggestive of the new chip being fabricated on one of Samsung's old nodes.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I think we are losing sight of the real concern here.

What will the new cartridge format taste like?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Andy also mentioned that apparently major publishers don't want backwards compatibility as it affects sales. They specifically mention that PS5 software sales are down due to the availability of legacy titles
Doubt that's something that would concern Nintendo considering BC would benefit their software more. What's major publisher gonna do? Ignore millions of potential user base?

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I can't help but think that the reason Nintendo is going with a large 8" display is to accommodate a bigger and less thermally efficient SoC on an old, outdated node.
It's for the rapidly deteriorating eyesight of folks that left the 3D slider cranked on the 3DS.

Between that and VR, I can barely read what I'm typing otu rihgt nwo

Oct 27, 2017

Hoping we get T239 on TSMC 4N, but I'm worried that creating such a large device is suggestive of the new chip being fabricated on one of Samsung's old nodes.
Or...to have a bigger battery...

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Very. Aren't many handhelds capable of them? Rog Ally, Steam Deck, etc.
True, but on something around the price of a Switch?

I'll be quite sad if it doesn't have an ssd inside it, honestly. Hopefully with a sd card port for Switch 1 games and cold storage too

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
8 inch screen is nice. That's a major selling point to me and I wish other handhelds would offer larger versions as well.

A shame it isn't OLED, but that'll happen down the line.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
It will not have 512GB. Nintendo will trim that shit down to 256GB to save $1.50 per unit without hesitation