Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
wii took the mini gamecube discs and the full sized wii dvds

there's still hope ; _ ;

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
With more and more phones not supporting memory card, it's gonna be the death knell of the format if new Switch skipping it too.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MVG speculated that it'll be 3D NAND from the same manufacturer as the Switch 1 cartridges, so they could fit the same shape & mechanism while being a new chip. This should still allow physical BC.

Speaking of which, Andy mentioned in the podcast that if the Switch 2 lacks BC, it won't be due to technical hurdles (but rather a conscious decision to leave it out).
After the PS5 & Xbox Series, I think people expect it going forward (Cerny himself said "once backwards compatibility is in, it's in."

To not include it, especially if there isn't a technical hurdle, would be very upsetting.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
"New cartridge format" combined with the lack of confirmation on backwards-compatibility is worrying. This thing would be such a slam dunk if it let you play Switch games on it, so I can fully see Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot by not doing that.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Pretty big jump

peAt5b5.png

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
512GB is bigger than I though it would be also much bigger screen.

This is going to be expensive me thinks $400-$500

OLED and smaller screen model are a lock.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
There's just too many dedicated gamers in the Switch ecosystem to not do BC now. Mainstream consumers are used to digital libraries and that's only going to grow. There would be catastrophic backlash if there was no BC at this point. The publishers not wanting it so they can make more money on remasters would be a whisper compared to the vitriol Nintendo would incur from consumers.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Almost certainly, hence the LCD display to keep costs as low as possible.

And that's the thing. If the Switch 2 had OLED, but low storage memory people will be mad, and vice versa. And if the Switch 2 cost $500 at launch people will be pissed. Something needed to give.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't feel the striking nerve to play Nintendo games on Day 1 anymore so if the screen is not OLED then I will wait however long it takes. I only play handheld so I can't go back to an LCD for my Switch.

Oct 31, 2017
"New cartridge format" combined with the lack of confirmation on backwards-compatibility is worrying. This thing would be such a slam dunk if it let you play Switch games on it, so I can fully see Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot by not doing that.

3DS and DS carts aren't the same and you could play both on 3DS. The DS has two slots, one for DS carts and the other for GBA ones.

There's no need to worry, let's wait and see.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't hate a lcd screen if it's actually quality, unlike the one they currently use.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Andy also mentioned that apparently major publishers don't want backwards compatibility as it affects sales. They specifically mention that PS5 software sales are down due to the availability of legacy titles

Or, more likely, the first/third party output for new generation games has been garbage and they're looking for a scapegoat to blame it on.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in for launch if it does come with a new 3D Mario.

Super Mario Sunshine 2 let's goooo

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It will not have 512GB. Nintendo will trim that shit down to 256GB to save $1.50 per unit without hesitation
I wonder if they have information showing the low storage space of Switch caused customers to slow their digital purchases as they ran out of space.

It's worth Nintendo spending the little bit extra to enable people to keep engaging with their ecosystem. Whether they realise that is another question.

They are rumored to have lost out on big AAA games due to storage of the console and cards so i doubt it.
That makes a lot of sense too!

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Guessing this new cartridge format would be more cost effective with bigger GB sizes than the current ones? 32 and 64GB cards are reportedly quite pricey so getting costs down for the inevitably beefy requirements for Switch 2 games is likely a big incentive for them.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I would say that devkits might come with 512gb, but that wouldn't mean that retail units would.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping the screen is 1080p bc otherwise going back to LCD and just increasing the size is going to make it feel like a step back from the og model in terms of handheld IQ
I think every existing Switch game that's 720p stretching to 1080p would look worse. Though they've done it before with DS on 3DS.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
I would say that devkits might come with 512gb, but that wouldn't mean that retail units would.

True and that was discussed on the natethehate podcast. That's why he couldn't say a specific number with confidence.

It has been awhile since I listened, but I believe Nate said "up to 512 GB".