• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Most of Nate's biggest Switch rumors (or those he corroborated) did not come to pass, right? Pokemon Stars, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Star Fox GP, Switch Pro, etc. I'm just wondering if there's a reason to once again believe the usual insider crowd when it comes to anything Nintendo-related.

Pokemon Stars wasn't me. Trilogy plans changed following Retro getting put on Prime 4 & such been discussed heavily several times now, yet plans to bring the trilogy remain.

Pro was a change of plan and a cancelled product. This has been discussed by Digital Foundry, too.

Well then he's not a leaker I'm sorry. You can't pretend to have insider info and hide behind the safety of speculation.
I clearly frame this information as informed speculation and that it is what's being discussed right now with partners -- never said it was going to come to final retail product.

VGC came out and said the info matches what they are hearing be discussed, as well. That's the only reason this is getting further attention and reach because they have heard similar details. I didn't consider the info I had to be concrete enough to make into its own report, hence it being informed speculation. I don't seek to be known as a leaker or insider.

I always preface things I know with, "I know..." and that's typically reserved for Direct dates and select Direct content -- like saying Star Ocean 2 Remake was more ambitious than SR1 Remake and would release this holiday, when I detailed Sparks of Hope ahead of the game's reveal as a Galaxy-themed Mario Rabbids or back in February when I spoke of a 2D Prince of Persia game made by the Rayman team being announced this yr.

Last edited:

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
But those are just predictions and hopes? I listened to the 2D Mario bit and he didn't specify it's anything more than his hopes, or did I get that part wrong?

To me, it's telling that there's no one thing people can point to when asked to provide good proof that he has actual access to leaked information.
There are receipts, it's just that those receipts are scattered across years of posts on this forum and Famiboards. So it'd be time consuming to find those receipts lol.

I understand your skepticism though. Those of us who have been following Nintendo news on these sites for some years have seen for a fact he has sources.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the "Switch 2" chipset in the dev kits have changed between the recalled 4K Switch dev kits that DF mentioned. I would assume that the original ones used the same screens as the original Switch.

Well then he's not a leaker I'm sorry. You can't pretend to have insider info and hide behind the safety of speculation.
No need to be sorry. Nate even likely doesn't want to be labeled as a leaker anyway.

In either case, it looks like VGA is backing him up with several sources on their own. You have the right to be skeptical since Nintendo can change things, but having numerous sources around agreeing with each other is something to take note.

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Stars wasn't me. Trilogy plans changed following Retro getting put on Prime 4 & such been discussed heavily several times now, yet plans to bring the trilogy remain.

Pro was a change of plan and a cancelled product. This has been discussed by Digital Foundry, too.
How about Star Fox GP? That was probably the strangest one. Apologies for lumping you all in together, by the way.

I'm not saying there aren't good reasons for these rumors and such not to pan out, but if nearly every single one regarding an actual first-party Nintendo product changes then perhaps some people are speaking too soon?

Of course, people love these discussions, so it's really just me. I was just wondering if any major/detailed Nintendo-related rumors from the more well-known insider crowd around this community —which does include you even if you don't necessarily like the term "insider"— has actually hit since those misses I mentioned previously.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Why did so many people come into this thread already assuming the worst from just a potential change in cartridge format? Why was 'no BC' the immediate conclusion?
Hey, there are worse takes, like it having 6GB of RAM, an increase of 2 over the Switch... even though it'd be physically impossible for it to only have 6GB of RAM considering it's known specs (128 bit bus and them probably not going with very old RAM, but LPDDR5X).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
For all the shit the WiiU name has gotten, I'm surprised at the lack of criticism MS has gotten on the confusing ass naming scheme the Xbox has gotten since Xbox One.
I don't think the name was the big problem with the Wii U. The console just had a bad concept and wasn't interesting for consumers.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I don't think the name was the big problem with the Wii U. The console just had a bad concept and wasn't interesting for consumers.

Wii U was bloody mess, going from reveal, naming, marketing, concept, launch and 1st year games, timing, pricing...on other hand with Switch they done everything opposite (done right).

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
A very good friend and a former Atlus insider said that

"There is a new camera function with the Switch 2, not sure if it's VR"

I can show Jawmuncher the DM if he wants

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bring on our new AR future! I hope it's AR-based because I think there are some great opportunities there.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Atlus leaker knows about Switch 2? That'd mean that Atlus has a devkit... that can only mean TRAUMA CENTER IS BACKKKKK

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
All I know is (as with any Nintendo hardware) that I will be there day zero.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

f96c92ce6b3eeba008b755031a891d23_original.gif

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Goes along with what I've been saying all this time, that there would definitely be some kind of new feature on the Switch 2.

Oct 25, 2017
AR def sounds like the next logical step for Nintendo. I was actually a bit surprised that the Switch didn't have a camera.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
AR would make sense, & it wouldn't even be Nintendo's first rodeo with the concept (see the 3DS).
Nintendo has been in love with AR since the 3DS, that's probably one of the reasons why they went with Niantic for both Pokemon and Pikmin.

I wonder if the "Switch 2" chipset in the dev kits have changed between the recalled 4K Switch dev kits that DF mentioned. I would assume that the original ones used the same screens as the original Switch.
I'd go and say they were 2 different chipsets. The Switch 2's SoC wasn't ready by early 2022 even, and only became finalized maybe around April or a bit after that from the Linux commits anyone could read regarding the T239. It should be final or near final now with the only moving targets being storage and RAM, maybe frequencies too, which can change all the way before manufacturing begins... Which should start 1H next year if it's going to release 2H next year.

louris

Oct 27, 2017
8 inches is ideal if bezels are minimal. In fact I wonder if reducing the bezels to minimum could maybe let them keep total size the same and retain joycon compatibility (please no).

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

View: https://youtu.be/l-NUnlZ_Li0

He is a Chinese tech youtuber and claims a friend works on the factory
He mentions that there are performance upgrades and stuff and also something to do with an image sensor.

This stuff about a new camera function reminds me of a leak on Chinese financial websites last month that talked about Switch 2, and they mentioned in their article about new image sensors for Switch 2, so the two might be related.

www.resetera.com

[MoneyDJ] Nintendo Estimated To Launch New Switch in Q1 2024 Rumor - Nintendo

MoneyDJ is a Chinese finance website. The factory they're talking about is Hongzhun Industry https://www.moneydj.com/KMDJ/News/NewsViewer.aspx?a=a5f533f3-bf84-47d5-a353-4276c3fce33b Update New info Team Q1 for Switch 2 for the Win...

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Not surprised - I've long suspected that there will be a rear facing camera (and possibly front facing camera) on the Switch 2 to allow Nintendo to do a bunch of AR game related stuff.

squinters

Jun 7, 2023
If the camera is front facing I wonder how that would fit with the 8" screen. Would necessitate some bezels and it could end up a bit big. Feel like there's equal (tho distinct) gameplay possibility for cameras to be front-facing vs back-facing on a handheld, so curious to see where it all ends up

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo have been toying with multiple 'AR' and sensor related gameplay ideas on the Switch already like with Mario Kart Live and the Joy Con IR camera being used in Ring Fit and LABO, so this opens the door for more of those features without specialized accessories. I'm assuming the IR camera stays, and now an additional camera on the tablet body.

Tabletop AR could be really interesting with a camera, improved kickstand (like the OLED or different), and larger 8 inch 1080p screen.

Oct 28, 2017
So does this mean it will be a LCD screen? I guess we won't know until we know.

I am very interested on that point because I have a bet with my best friend about it. He cannot believe Nintendo would put out a Switch 2 with a worse screen than the Switch OLED, I personally think it sounds like a very Nintendo thing to do. But our little bet is clouded by the fact I bought a OLED Switch to upgrade my day one Switch and he didn't expecting the Switch 2 to be everything the OLED Switch is but more, and so we are both "invested" in being right beyond our bet so to speak.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So does this mean it will be a LCD screen? I guess we won't know until we know.

I am very interested on that point because I have a bet with my best friend about it. He cannot believe Nintendo would put out a Switch 2 with a worse screen than the Switch OLED, I personally think it sounds like a very Nintendo thing to do. But our little bet is clouded by the fact I bought a OLED Switch to upgrade my day one Switch and he didn't expecting the Switch 2 to be everything the OLED Switch is but more, and so we are both "invested" in being right beyond our bet so to speak.
IIRC one of the first things leaked about it was that it's using an LCD display.

Oct 28, 2017
IIRC one of the first things leaked about it was that it's using an LCD display.

Sounds like my friend is going to owe me a nice dinner then. That is what he gets for doubting Nintendo's ability to regress from one generation to the next.

Funny part is last bet we had like this (in late 2017) was he SWORE the Switch would have Virtual Console eventually and I thought it was dead because Reggie refused to use those two words together in a sentence (he kept calling it stuff like "legacy games"). When Virtual Console was announced officially dead I got a nice case of beer out of it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If there's not reasonable accommodations for Switch game compatibility, that'll be a disincentive for me re: being an early adopter, just on account of my game backlog.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like my friend is going to owe me a nice dinner then. That is what he gets for doubting Nintendo's ability to regress from one generation to the next.

Funny part is last bet we had like this (in late 2017) was he SWORE the Switch would have Virtual Console eventually and I thought it was dead because Reggie refused to use those two words together in a sentence (he kept calling it stuff like "legacy games"). When Virtual Console was announced officially dead I got a nice case of beer out of it.
It also provides an easy upgrade path to an OLED display when the inevitable Switch 2 revision(s) happen.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021

Just keep making easy bets with your friend for free shit lmao.

Oct 28, 2017
It also provides an easy upgrade path to an OLED display when the inevitable Switch 2 revision(s) happen.

Exactly! Personally I am rooting for a Switch 2 Lite OLED eventually, loved that form factor (it was my "handheld mode" for a year) but the screen is too small and to crappy next to my OLED Switch to use anymore.

Just keep making easy bets with your friend for free shit lmao.

Haha I can't overdo it or I will lose my best Nintendo buddy. He really wanted me to bet that they were holding back the online service in 2018 to add voice chat and I thought at best it would add Cloud Saves but I refused the bet to not anger him. To be fair he told me when it revealed "I bet Metroid Prime 4 won't even be a Switch exclusive when it releases" and I doubted him but he might end up vindicated there.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/l-NUnlZ_Li0

He is a Chinese tech youtuber and claims a friend works on the factory
He mentions that there are performance upgrades and stuff and also something to do with an image sensor.

This stuff about a new camera function reminds me of a leak on Chinese financial websites last month that talked about Switch 2, and they mentioned in their article about new image sensors for Switch 2, so the two might be related.

www.resetera.com

[MoneyDJ] Nintendo Estimated To Launch New Switch in Q1 2024 Rumor - Nintendo

MoneyDJ is a Chinese finance website. The factory they're talking about is Hongzhun Industry https://www.moneydj.com/KMDJ/News/NewsViewer.aspx?a=a5f533f3-bf84-47d5-a353-4276c3fce33b Update New info Team Q1 for Switch 2 for the Win...

That image of the system looks so fucking bad lol.

I hope it's not like that.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly! Personally I am rooting for a Switch 2 Lite OLED eventually, loved that form factor (it was my "handheld mode" for a year) but the screen is too small and to crappy next to my OLED Switch to use anymore.
That should be the next bet you make with your friend. Will the Switch 2 Lite be LCD or OLED.

Randy Savage

Banned
Feb 6, 2023
If it's not bc im done with Nintendo. They should be able to carry over digital purchases at this point as well