• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is arcade game, and the fact is that you play it with keyboard and mouse or controller, it has nothing to do with the real thing. This is not a simulator, it's just a game.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
V for Victory. It's one of the most important slogans from WWII.
winston-churchill-780zwehv.jpg

v..._-_wearing_differ7zd9x.jpg

It's also why Metal Gear Solid V is called Metal Gear Solid V. V for Victory was a huge story theme in Peace Walker.
mgspwj0f20.jpg

v1fxcy9.jpg
Thank you. I'm not sure why most people haven't recognized that.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
What Gears and Battlefield have in common is that they inadvertently cultivated a sexist audience. And to some degree a racist one.
I'm going to have to completely disagree on your opinion of the Gears community, the vast majority of the Gears community was unfazed by Kate as the lead and the rest was people who were happily pointing it out with the small amount against it being quickly ignored. The Gears community is very diverse, and has a lot of female players. Of course there is shit talking in Gears multi, but it's not racist or sexist as a community. Gears has always had a diverse cast, a community that love those characters that are of different races and genders. A lot of the community really like Kate as a character especially over JD, a lot of them due to her connection to the Locust queen. A reaction by Twitch chat is not representative of the games community but the toxicity of Twitch chat, neither is /r/games even though they shit on Twitch chat for their reaction to kait as lead.

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have to completely disagree on your opinion of the Gears community, the vast majority of the Gears community was unfazed by Kate as the lead and the rest was people who were happily pointing it out with the small amount against it being quickly ignored. The Gears community is very diverse, and has a lot of female players. Of course there is shit talking in Gears multi, but it's not racist or sexist as a community. Gears has always had a diverse cast, a community that love those characters that are of different races and genders. A lot of the community really like Kate as a character especially over JD, a lot of them due to her connection to the Locust queen. A reaction by Twitch chat is not representative of the games community but the toxicity of Twitch chat, neither is /r/games even though they shit on Twitch for their reaction to kait as lead.
Call of Duty is also diverse and has plenty of female players. That doesn't change the fact these games ended up cultivating a certain audience, to some degree by accident. Gears was never actually intended to be mindless and dudebro, but a significant portion of its fanbase thinks it is exactly that. And they resent Gears being "ruined". Hence the top voted youtube comments on the reveal trailer being stuff like "Gears of Soy". The backlash against MS is real. Sure it's a vocal minority but that's true of most internet hate bandwagons. The bigger the franchise, the bigger the vocal minority.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. I'm not sure why most people haven't recognized that.
Still, calling the game Battlefield 1944 and not focusing on the "unknown battles" would have been better.

People want Kasserine, Monte Cassino, D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, Stalingrad, Berlin, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Wake Island.

Not Norway and Belgium.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still, calling the game Battlefield 1944 and not focusing on the "unknown battles" would have been better.

People want Kasserine, Monte Cassino, D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, Stalingrad, Berlin, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Wake Island.

Not Norway and Belgium.
Those battles are done to death British, American, and Russian stuff. Battlefield V's campaign looks like a bit of a breath of fresh air for the genre. If it's actually good, that is. The worst creative decision CoD: WWII made was chasing tired American War cliches. It was a World War.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty is also diverse and has plenty of female players. That doesn't change the fact these games ended up cultivating a certain audience, to some degree by accident. Gears was never actually intended to be mindless and dudebro, but a significant portion of its fanbase thinks it is exactly that. And they resent Gears being "ruined". Hence the top voted youtube comments on the reveal trailer being stuff like "Gears of Soy". The backlash against MS is real. Sure it's a vocal minority but that's true of most internet hate bandwagons. The bigger the franchise, the bigger the vocal minority.
Except if you actually go into the Gears community you would actually see what I said is true, I'm not talking about a backlash from people in general but from the Gears community particularly. We know the shit of reddit and youtube will automatically target this shit and start a stir, that doesn't mean it represents the community or that they think the franchise is mindless and dudebro. If you actually go into the community you'll find out that they don't think like that, in fact if you called it dudebro in the gears community you would get a ton of hate for it. In terms of a diverse community, gears and it's community wears it on it's sleeve. Women are outspoken in the community and the community is very welcoming, that can not be said for COD. The difference between the two communities is large tbh.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I don't think it's that simple. I think the connecting tissue between Battlefield an CoD is the awful elements of their multiplayer fanbases that are notorious for lashing out over incredibly petty shit. (See the Infinite Warfare downvote campaign, for instance.) Looking at the Battlefield and Call of Duty campaigns, there has long been animosity towards female characters in Battlefield in particular. Battlefield 4 has Hannah and Greenland, and both of those characters attracted a lot of hate. Even if you make a 100% historically accurate female soldier in a Battlefield game, people will still bitch about it. If BF4 or Hardline had featured female characters in MP, there still would have been backlash. Heck, Hardline was the game where you had Breitbart whipping up controversy over supposedly derogatory depictions of conservatives. The attempts to convince ordinary people that games were being infiltrated and corrupted by outsiders was in full swing at that point.

A popular narrative perpetuated by alt-right types is that the reason why games like Prey, Wolfenstein II, Dishonored 2, and Death of the Outsider underperformed is because they "pandered to SJWs" instead "real gamers". These people don't care about notions of historical accuracy. They see this as an opportunity to add fuel to their culture war. There has a been a not-insignificant amount of backlash towards Gears 5 because it has a female protagonist. This was especially obvious on the Twitch chat, and it was something some of the people on /r/games over on Reddit were quite disturbed by. (/r/games is a pretty decent community more often than not, it turns out.) Back when Gears of War: Judgement was being developed, Epic commented on the possibility of a female lead in a Gears game. They said, "That's certainly interesting but I don't know. If you look at what sells, it's tough to justify something like that."

What Gears and Battlefield have in common is that they inadvertently cultivated a sexist audience. And to some degree a racist one. (I'm convinced a huge amount of the hate towards Irish in BF4 was because he was black and didn't follow orders.) At the same time, there are millions of BF fans who would never think that way. I'm not saying that a majority of BF fans are sexist or hateful or anything like that. It's opportunists who rile up vocal elements and sic them on pretty much any target that comes along. Sincere disagreements get buried under a wave of shit. That's why this is so muddled. Some people do have legitimate disagreements with this, that, or the other -- but it's all hopelessly contaminated by sexism.

Taking as step back, we have seen a very strange shift in entertainment culture driven by social media and influential voices stoking hate.

Here's an example that comes to mind.

Black Dr Dolittle? People loved it.
Black Nutty Professor? People loved it.
Black Annie? The internet backlash was ridiculous.
Black James Bond? Batten down the hatches, me hearties.

There was always racism. There was always sexism. But. Something changed with the rise of social media and manipulative internet communities. In the 90s, random people might say, "Not interested in <insert here>." But they wouldn't go on the internet and coalesce with several thousand like minded haters to bleat on every available medium that they really hated a thing. Back then people wrote letters. Back in the 90s, random people might think, "I'm not interested in a game where I can only play as a woman." But they weren't able to get together with thousands of like minded people to stew about the "SJWs and their forced diversity".
Social media just changed the landscape to give these fringe people who are quite obviously racist a megaphone.

It didn't necessarily change anything except give them the idea that other people think like them (which is true).

The net benefit of social media and the rapid pace of the internet is not necessarily a helpful thing to democracy.

I don't believe that videogames like BF or Gears or anything helped raise this. Only that social media made it quite clear that "anyone" can have a platform or opinion no matter how deranged, and this is not always a good thing, as much as the internet helps connect good people and good ideas to one another, it can also do the same for people with very racist ideas.

And I'll be honest people are just not very smart. Journalists, many people, did the "post modern everything only gets better" approach to analyzing social media in the past. "Only good things will happen because people will have information and be able to learn for themselves." This was the idealogy that was perpetrated about technology like social media, and it was very, very wrong, and I was telling people how wrong it was for Facebook and other things to take over the representation of people's online lives because there are dark sides to humans in the past and no less currently.

There is 100% evidence to say that the world is safer and a better place than 100 and 50 years ago, there is no doubt about that, but people in places of power or in influence must take a more critical eye to social and technological changes that befall us. There is no magic bullet of perfect nature to anything in regards to communication or internet and there will never be.

The only true solution is providing easy access and cheap access to education for all people, not just have things restricted to rich or connected (the true classism that exists in the US for example). Citizen's United decision must die as well.

And after that point nothing will be perfect even still, but just to hope for the best. It is giving the best possible chance for people not to develop all these racist and perverse ideas if people are forced to have to tolerate each other in school and university, exposure is the ultimate prevention of racist bullshit rhetoric.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Part of it is a group of shitty people, and the other part is a REALLY packed fall schedule. Red Dead is overshadowing everything

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Well some of the comments that were being made on twitter in Joes feed made me respond and man some of these people...

I had one guy trying to compare women as being as unlikely to be in WW2 to fucking Dinosaurs and Dragons.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well there weren't enlisted fighting women in most countries' armies. Pretty much none.

That said I don't give a fuck if it's historically accurate or not and welcome their inclusion. Video games should be for everyone and the more choices the better. BF5 does look boring, though, and pretty much just another BF game. If it underperforms I'm guessing it's because of that (and maybe DICE/EA lost some good will after Battlefront).

I think battlefront did a ton of damage to them. This is EAs first big release post battlefront and it's made by the same developer with a similar play style with a similar name.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those battles are done to death British, American, and Russian stuff. Battlefield V's campaign looks like a bit of a breath of fresh air for the genre. If it's actually good, that is. The worst creative decision CoD: WWII made was chasing tired American War cliches. It was a World War.
And yet it also sold gangbusters. Most players want the classics. The opinions of the internet communities of World War II fatigue and shit are tiny minorities.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I know I didn't preorder because I subbed to Premier Access. I think preorders will increase after the open beta though. Also, we don't know how good their BR mode will be so it's too early to declare defeat for BF5. Compared to CoD BLOPS 4 it will be a better value because it won't have the $50 season pass that CoD will have and it will have a campaign.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
This game is bringing out all the historians, didn't realise the older games were considered historically accurate either.

I hope it's fun, that's what I want from a Battlefield game.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Joe's twitter reaction feed is the biggest cesspool I've seen in a while, christ.
I don't understand what the hell they are expecting.

Joe has:

-Defended Anita
-Ranted about Trump when he won
-This video

I am probably missing more but there are plenty of signs to show he isn't alt right or whatever so you would think they would know that.

I really feel bad for him.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree the marketing has been spectacularly bad and the release date and EA backlash are all major obstacles for this this game, the "celebration" of this games struggles are weird to me.

While "slow" preorders is never a good thing, I think it is easily explained by the fact that the major preorder incentive is access to the Beta. A console Beta that has yet to happen and does not have a firm release date. Once that time comes, I expect things to change significantly in that regard. Like, what's the point in doing it now? That's probably when I'll pull the trigger on this game, there is basically no reason to at this moment.

On the other end of things, it seems the PC Beta has been well received. They also got rid of the anti-consumer BS that was the premium pass while CoD doubled down on that. Also, for a major corporation, they took a surprisingly progressive stance when it came to customization and women in the game even though they knew they'd receive flak from the cesspools of the internet.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea that GG assholes were still hung up about this game until I saw his response video. It's just sad. lol

Deleted member 35777

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I had no idea that GG assholes were still hung up about this game until I saw his response video. It's just sad. lol
That's not even the half of the kinda crazy shit they get up too.

On some of the GG places are trying to mount a campaign against joe, things like getting him blacklisted by companies and the like, it's scary how demented these guys have become.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Honestly I'm always a Battlefielder. But I'm buying this outta not only that from what i hear its amazing but respect.

No in ww2 there was no famous women that fought to my knowledge. But be damned if women didnt fight. It might not be in the record books but i know it happened.

I wish DICE would come out with a story from a female fighter to just shove it in these asses faces

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
That's not even the half of the kinda crazy shit they get up too.

On some of the GG places are trying to mount a campaign against joe, things like getting him blacklisted by companies and the like, it's scary how demented these guys have become.
The funny thing is that Joe is clearly of the "both sides" variety of Youtuber, so they're literally driving him against them by calling him a cuck and saying racist shit at him. Literally a real life example of "With friends like these..." lol

I guess these people hate Wolfenstein too because you shoot Nazis and Nazis were actually good people?

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically right before he dropped this video showing all the people who are absolutely making this about women being in the game I had an asshat on twitter trying to claim that no one had a problem with women being in the game.

At this point I'm not even sure what the hell they are so upset about.

Like in Joe's original video his whole fucking point was that maybe it was about EA's really shitty handling of the game thats been the reason its doing poorly and then you had hundreds of people calling him a sellout and shit and then you had hundreds of people saying its about WAY MORE then just women being in the game while at the same time you had hundreds of others whining about women in the game, SJW's, politics, and everything else.

Like holy shit its like 3-5 different groups of stupid all got together to shit on Joe for daring to suggest something super fucking obvious and all being out to get him at the same time.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically right before he dropped this video showing all the people who are absolutely making this about women being in the game I had an asshat on twitter trying to claim that no one had a problem with women being in the game.

At this point I'm not even sure what the hell they are so upset about.

Like in Joe's original video his whole fucking point was that maybe it was about EA's really shitty handling of the game thats been the reason its doing poorly and then you had hundreds of people calling him a sellout and shit and then you had hundreds of people saying its about WAY MORE then just women being in the game while at the same time you had hundreds of others whining about women in the game, SJW's, politics, and everything else.

Like holy shit its like 3-5 different groups of stupid all got together to shit on Joe for daring to suggest something super fucking obvious and all being out to get him at the same time.
Given all the hate Joe's gotten, I hope he's willing to accept that maybe being "both sides" doesn't work when one side fucking hates you unconditionally. lol

SaucyDancer

Feb 27, 2018
The people commenting on his video who are obviously not fans of his are absolutely pathetic. I can't imagine what's going through their mind thinking that some of those comments are a good idea.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Given all the hate Joe's gotten, I hope he's willing to accept that maybe being "both sides" doesn't work when one side fucking hates you unconditionally. lol
I wouldn't count on it, tbh. Even by the end of the video hes trying to kinda do a both sides thing by suggesting he likes the content and watches the videos of the guys who are making videos about him. Maybe thats damage control but I'm not going to count on it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't count on it, tbh. Even by the end of the video hes trying to kinda do a both sides thing by suggesting he likes the content and watches the videos of the guys who are making videos about him. Maybe thats damage control but I'm not going to count on it.
Yeah, I kind of wish he didn't try to do the "we're all friends" thing at the end when it's clear those guys have no interest in that whatsoever. Ah well, I assume this just means he's going to avoid talking about anything altogether... basically like Boogie. :p

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Shit is insane. How the fuck can you call Joe a EA shill when the entire point of the video is that EA completely fucked up their marketing for this game. It literally starts out with a "you dun fucked it up" directed at EA. Then you got all these historians who don't know shit about history, they just think every WWII game has to look like a Hollywood movie they seen in the past and thats the only way to do it. And then you have people who throw around the SJW term unironically. It's a nexus of stupid from multiple angles.

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Its probably a mix of both. Because ea has been horrible with marketing this game they have caused it to have little hype. Which in turn allows those who are complaining about women being in the game seem like they are louder then they are.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That The Quartering dude is trash. I dunno why he keeps appearing on my feed, I wish I could ignore content like it straight on the Youtube app.

That's the #MTGGate guy, right?

Respect to Joe, clearly he doesn't care about "FEMALEZ, MUH REALISM NOOO" folks. For such a popular YouTuber, I am surprised he actually put out a video like this.

Yeah, this. Pretty impressed to see him call this stuff out.

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, I kind of wish he didn't try to do the "we're all friends" thing at the end when it's clear those guys have no interest in that whatsoever. Ah well, I assume this just means he's going to avoid talking about anything altogether... basically like Boogie. :p
The thing with Joe is that he didn't play both sides, he just said he's willing to listen to the other side, while Boogie actively plays both sides and never sticks to one, hence why he stays in the middle.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear there's something wrong with this community. I can't believe this is actually a big deal. Good on Joe for looking like the better person. Just play and have fun.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Joe often gets accused of waiting for a consensus and just going with that. He's clearly sticking his neck out here and getting dogpiled for it. Props.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So what do GGters/alt right shits want to accomplish with gaming? Personally I don't think even they know seeing how stupid they all are. They are unable to formulate their own ideas except for just bashing anything that resembles inclsuiveness and diversity.

I'm glad Angry Joe is addressing this but at the same time sad that this is something that needs addressing in the first place.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've resubscribed to Joe after all this, I have a ton of respect for the guy being willing to stand up against this side of gaming culture.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
I tried watching The Quatering video and I just couldn't man, it was too much cringe for one sitting. Its just some greasy awkward fuck who cant stay still constantly slur and trip over his own words. He didnt say anything unique to his video, its literally just regurgitated from every other outrage channel.

Why did Joe give this nobody the time of day?

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
As hilarious it is to watch people shit their diapers over women in BFV, it's nice to see someone big call it out.

That second trailer was definitely better than the first but I still don't feel too hype for the game.