Not open for further replies.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
powerdancerlxfem.gif

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Romantic Killer 1
It's like this show was made exclusively for me. I will say the first chapter of the web comic was better structured and paced. I'll probably continue to read it as I watch this.

Romantic Killer 2
The multi-angle pan hit almost gave me a cramp I laughed so hard.

Romantic Killer 3
Aw man are we getting serious already?? No! Keep fighting, Anzu! Anyway the Childhood Friend showed up.
you-in-danger-girl.gif

Last edited:

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
18 episode into JBA Part 4 Diamond Is Unbreakable.

I think what I love the most is how "low stake" this part is compared to previous Part. There aren't even really big bad like DIO or Kars halfway through the show.

It feels more like collection of various stories involving Stand that happen in a single city rather than one big overarching plot.

Some episodes literally slice-of-life.

Also this Part had to be the one that inspire modern Persona games, right ? 🤣

I'm sure Persona 4 could have taken its idea of high school students hunting down a hidden supernatural evil in a small, quiet town after an inciting incident where a corpse is found hanging from power lines from absolutely anywhere.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
DIY 5
Scrapping around for loose pallets was the most legitimate diy thing to happen in this so far. Getting them for free was pure fantasy though.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should try the anime for CSM. I read like the first 30 chapters and really didn't get the hype(it was fine), but seeing everything animated might be better?

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should try the anime for CSM. I read like the first 30 chapters and really didn't get the hype(it was fine), but seeing everything animated might be better?

Depends on what didn't grab you.

The biggest differences are that the anime is slower paced so far, and the voice and sound direction gives it a more serious tone overall.

But it might just not be your style, and that's fine too.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what didn't grab you.

The biggest differences are that the anime is slower paced so far, and the voice and sound direction gives it a more serious tone overall.

But it might just not be your style, and that's fine too.

Does Denji get better at least? His initial motivations/charecterization isn't.... Exactly endearing himself to me.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Does Denji get better at least? His initial motivations/charecterization isn't.... Exactly endearing himself to me.

Denji's whole thing is he's powered purely by id due to his circumstances and a lot of his development comes from him trying to learn how to be a normal person. Or at least a normal person in the Chainsaw Man world. Denji has a small and frankly sad dream because he's still stuck in the mindset that he doesn't deserve much more than what he's got.

I like Denji and what the story does with him a lot.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Denji's whole thing is he's powered purely by id due to his circumstances and a lot of his development comes from him trying to learn how to be a normal person. Or at least a normal person in the Chainsaw Man world. Denji has a small and frankly sad dream because he's still stuck in the mindset that he doesn't deserve much more than what he's got.

I like Denji and what the story does with him a lot.

I get what they're generally going for themstically, but I still find the motivation really dumb and even kind of annoying.

Maybe the series just isn't for me. After a lot of the hype, I wasn't expecting a main character with their main initial motivation being to cop a feel though.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I get what they're generally going for themstically, but I still find the motivation really dumb and even kind of annoying.

Maybe the series just isn't for me. After a lot of the hype, I wasn't expecting a main character with their main initial motivation being to cop a feel though.

It's more than that though, I thought you had read 30ish chapters, you would have seen what happens?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't know jack-shit about living as a normal human in the start like a literal dog, this shifts to him finally understanding what living in a family feels like and that kind of affection. He is still a juvenile kid but the series goes places where this is a triviality to the life he will face.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's more than that though, I thought you had read 30ish chapters, you would have seen what happens?

Yes I have gotten to the point I think you're referring to

Where he cops a feel and is left disappointed is what I presume you're talking about?

He doesn't know jack-shit about living as a normal human in the start like a literal dog, this shifts to him finally understanding what living in a family feels like and that kind of affection. He is still a juvenile kid but the series goes places where this is a triviality to the life he will face.

I mean, I don't think his mentality doesn't make sense in the confines of the world. I just find it dumb as a character trait and it makes me dislike him a bit as a result. Maybe that's the point though and he'd endear himself to me later? Dunno. Even the additional insight so far doesn't really do it for me yet though.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I have gotten to the point I think you're referring to

Where he cops a feel and is left disappointed is what I presume you're talking about?

I mean, I don't think his mentality doesn't make sense in a way. I just find it dumb and makes me dislike him a bit as a result.
If you don't understand from the first episode how shit his life was then i don't know what to tell you, this guy didn't have a crumb of happiness or a childhood. Denji wasn't gonna turn out balanced from that experience, he is a dipshit learning about the ways of the world and people aren't just looking at this series inspite of him. Once all of Part 1 is adapted anime onlys can maybe binge it like a lot of manga readers. CSM is a fast read which is why it got mega popular imo.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't understand from the first episode how shit his life was then i don't know what to tell you, this guy didn't have a crumb of happiness or a childhood. Denji wasn't gonna turn out balanced from that experience, he is a dipshit learning about the ways of the world and people aren't just looking at this series inspite of him. Once all of Part 1 is adapted anime onlys can maybe binge it like a lot of manga readers. CSM is a fast read which is why it got mega popular imo.

I do understand lol. Just because I understand how he got a certain way doesn't mean I have to like him or his stupid decisions/thoughts though?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I do understand lol. Just because I understand how he got a certain way doesn't mean I have to like him though?
Oh i have character arch-types i dislike, particulary super geniuses and master minds like Lelouch from Code Geas, but that alone isn't a judgment call on the series.
Denji is towering above the rapist of generic isekai protags, and future character arcs and reasons for being why he's like that exist.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I do understand lol. Just because I understand how he got a certain way doesn't mean I have to like him though?

I mean, I think Denji is supposed to be "understandable but a bit unlikeable" on purpose. He's literally starting at the bottom, in a number of ways, part of what makes Chainsaw Man so good is his growth as a human being. Things like (spoilers for like chapter 29 or whatever)

realizing that he might not be capable of mourning death, even thinking that if the object of his affection died he would be ok in like 2 days

is an interesting concept and not one you would find in a "shonen hero"

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think Denji is supposed to be "understandable but a bit unlikeable" on purpose. He's literally starting at the bottom, in a number of ways, part of what makes Chainsaw Man so good is his growth as a human being. Things like (spoilers for like chapter 29 or whatever)

realizing that he might not be capable of mourning death, even thinking that if the object of his affection died he would be ok in like 2 days

is an interesting concept and not one you would find in a "shonen hero"

Yeah, I got to that point. It's definitely different, I suppose, but even that isn't something that particularly gets me into the character himself?

Oh i have character arch-types i dislike, particulary super geniuses and master minds like Lelouch from Code Geas, but that alone isn't a judgment call on the series.
Denji is towering above the rapist of generic isekai protags, and future character arcs and reasons for being why he's like that exist.

Sure, I didn't even mean to spark much debate about this character. Im just a bit lukewarm on the series in general, and yeah, Denji isn't a character I'm excited to follow at the moment and was the quickest thing to ask about.

I mostly brought it up in the first place because there are so many memes about how relatable the character/series is and I was worried that meme relatability was for some kinda dumb(imo) reason like his initial motivations being so horny.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly brought it up in the first place because there are so many memes about how relatable the character is and I was worried that meme relatability was for some kinda dumb(imo) reason like his initial motivations being so horny.
The relatability part is less about horniness, but more like being disasters at life trying to survive the capitalist hellscape and keeping your sanity. Aki is a big fan favorite for being husband material who is good with kids, but also people will simp for whatever or whoever is attractive.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I got to that point. It's definitely different, I suppose, but even that isn't something that particularly gets me into the character himself?

Sure, I didn't even mean to spark much debate about this character. Im just a bit lukewarm on the series in general, and yeah, Denji isn't a character I'm excited to follow at the moment and was the quickest thing to ask about.

I mostly brought it up in the first place because there are so many memes about how relatable the character/series is and I was worried that meme relatability was for some kinda dumb(imo) reason like his initial motivations being so horny.

Well memes take base things and drive them into the ground, so I wouldn't take any stock on that.

Hell, episode four posts on reddit are like 80% "omg he gonna touch booba", pretty much ignoring all the -other- character work in the episode, like Aki's conversation with Denji (and them coming to an agreement).

Some of them even ignore that despite Denji being so close to fulfilling his dream, he's still not in control. Power has all the control in the situation. She makes the rules, she's in ownership of her (ok the corpse she's in) body. And that's the thing about Denji, he's never a molester type or anything, "consent" is actually something he waits for, despite probably not even knowing what the word is.

I think it might be good if you just blow through the rest of the Part 1 manga. If you're thirty-ish chapters in, you're already 1/3rd of the way there since there's 97 chapters and it's a pretty brisk read.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

i've said it a few times but for me CSM only really went complete batshit 'wow what the hell' around 3/4ths or 2/3rds of the way in, so around chapter 70 or so. I mean it's a good ride all the way there but that's when I went 'huh. this might be one of the greatest comic reading experiences I've ever had'.

Oct 25, 2017
Shadows House s2 ep 1 to 12 EngDub End

Kind of a downgrade over season because this season took so long to become a gram of as interesting as s1 was. Really felt like much of it was pointless until the whole veiled doll (Master Robe) mystery and lore dump occured which was great. I think it was also a step down in the main cast department. I liked the friendship gatherings with everyone involved, it becoming a Shuan John Kate and Emilico thing was a little dull. Patrick and Ricky felt like an afterthought and they were the highlights of season 1 for me.

Though, I will say, I liked s2 for the insights into the past. Young Edward was great and Anthrony, Olly were great too.

Hope an s3 is fast tracked for 2023.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

Well, I will say that I really like the series, but consider Denji to be the weakest of all major characters personally.

Even if I don't care too much about Denji, I still like the stories him and the rest of the cast are put through.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
DIY 4-5

Not a fan of Jobko. She drags down the otherwise entertaining cast. And of course, leave it to the American to just barge into someones house and commandeer a part of it for themselves.

Yua Serufu is still the best thing about this show. Her beef tongue convo with her mom was hilarious and I love how enthusiastically she takes every opportunity to say "DIY!" lol.

Some great DIYing on episode 5 too. Happy shes making small progress and able to screw things in properly nowadays.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Loli Got Her Sword episode 5

That feeling you get when you blast through weaker enemies only come up on a tough boss and you have to turn around and grind some more.

CGDDIY episode 5

Cat girl, GET! Now all we need is the tsundere.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Macross 2
Absolutely wild episode. First it was clown shoes as everyone on team Earth found a way to mess things up. The kid leaving the girl outside the plane to get shot at was hilarious but we then proceeded to have massive tonal whiplash when the kid encounters an alien. The aliens are actually giant men and then Focker kills the giant and the kid has a freak out. I thought this was gonna be diet Gundam but that was a pretty shocking moment, I'm impressed.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Romantic Killer 4
So either Riri literally created this kid or just picked some boy at random and implanted memories in the entire school. Either way is hilariously messed up.

Romantic Killer 5
Riri reaching Kyubey levels of evil.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So, uh, is no one watching Mob rn.

Because it's gotten to the good stuff. The action, the sakuga, the emotional stakes. The ending of this week's is amazing

Next week should be prime material for Bones to really pop off. Can't wait

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
nibel's departure put a dampner on mob

kidding going to have to rewatch mob s1 - 2 before I go into 3

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Romantic Killer 6
I feel extremely called out by this episode.

Romantic Killer 7
Rich kid sucks but at least he isn't boring like Junta.

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Romantic Killer 8
I really thought Arisa was going to join the harem but then I remembered this is about Japan making babies.

Romantic Killer 9
omg Junta is real??

Last edited:

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know this will make me sound like an absolute heathen, but I've never really cared for voice acting. I watched anime on mute for the longest time, in fact, though this was not necessarily voluntary. That said, for whatever reason I loved the exchange between chainsaw guy and the leech. It's interesting how they've given chainsaw guy a dog theme, and it's especially funny that a baddie compared him to a yapping lapdog to play on that theme, I suppose.

The most I've enjoyed a show in a long while.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, is no one watching Mob rn.

Because it's gotten to the good stuff. The action, the sakuga, the emotional stakes. The ending of this week's is amazing

Next week should be prime material for Bones to really pop off. Can't wait

I'm sure it's great. I'm waiting to binge it though personally. Ended up watching S2 that way and vastly preferred it.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Some negativity is to be expected in regards to CSM.

That's just the nature of the sheer amount of people tuning in. Stuff like JJK and Demon Slayer didn't start really blowing up in viewers until 7+ episodes because they didn't have anywhere near as much hype leading up to release so there wasn't as much variety of opinions at the start. It was a more narrow group of people jumping in and those series have wider appeal to begin with. There was a thread a year ago or so that fully expected some of the responses at the start. I think its turned out more successful than I personally expected though. The hype has been unreal (possibly to its detriment with all the discourse although who knows if any of that is actually penetrating the masses).

There's going to be people expecting all sorts of different things like the traditional formulaic SJ series but then get whiplash from the gore, pacing, and themes. There might be people expecting the whole mystery box/YA novel tropes aspect of AoT or a crazy action gag series like OPM. Then you have people who have watched enough anime to get completely turned off by pervert characters and bounce with the early Denji arc because they don't have faith or believe it would be anything but that archetype/trope (which is understandable).

There will be people who constantly try to fit square pegs into round holes with the characters thinking they'll be similar to what they've seen before from SJ series but that's really just a disguise that Fujimoto completely veered away from outside of the most superficial aspects and framework. Beyond his very first introduction, you can already see Aki is nothing like the rival character, he has drinks with his co-workers, cares about social responsibility, has domestic qualities from the get-go, is more adult or a caretaker in general, etc. Denji is a base human being that didn't turn out anywhere near as nice as a lot of tragic backstory heroes with poor upbringing do, the ones that are selfless and only have lofty, nigh unattainable, aspirations. He's a lot closer to how a semi-feral child would turn out. There will be those who really can't vibe with titular characters that have flaws like that but it can't be denied that many do find him relatable since his desires are as basic as they come.

Going to be interesting to see how opinions settle when the season is over.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell... Kancolle S2 turned into The Pacific. lol
I guess they decided to just move away from the anime girl aspect of it all with Fubuki as the lead and try to make it somewhat more serious. lol

Jesus, I just found out that this is a reboot which means like half the original girls are literally dead. lol

Oh my god, this is literally the Andor of anime. lol

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Which Isekai was the first with the slime and Fenrir combination? I can think of about half a dozen that do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.