Status
Not open for further replies.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Uma Musume 07

I actually teared a bit. This was tough to watch, but at least it looks like she isn't depressed about it because of all the other horse girls so there's hope.
The show is just too good

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah who's ready for the summer!

Rin! Haru hold me. Aoty2018.

DclR3K9U0AEAip8.jpg

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Layton Mystery Tanteisha 5

Wh…what?! An actual solvable mystery?! Say it ain't so!

Thankfully, they threw in an unpredictable curveball coincidence after the main mystery was solved. Whew. I was worried I was watching the wrong show for a moment!

Maybe i just consumed too much Layton, but I always seem to gave a general crazy idea about each case that ends be true...so far

Of course they keep throwing me off...in a good way, snow ball opening the museum door is too much i was laughing lol
Anybody knows what chapter continues on from today's Food Wars episode?
In the 180s, don't remember the specific chapter but that should narrow it
Don't know if it fully counts as an "anime OST song" if it's a cover of a still-popular 600+ year old folk ballad, hahahaha. Can't wait for Attack on Titan to open with a Linked Horizons rendition of Green Sleeves. ;))) No, but seriously -- that's a pretty version of it.

And that title. Where did the super long sentence/phrase thing come from as a common practice in Japanese pop fiction titling? Do most of these end up with widely accepted shorthand names among fan communities or do people generally rattle off the whole paragraph-long title when referring to it?
It's not even fans things all the time, works themselfs choose shorthand names for itself before airing, it's common to see those names as site domain for example , they are self aware that those long names are ridiculous and nobody actually use them

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe i just consumed too much Layton, but I always seem to gave a general crazy idea about each case that ends be true...so far

Of course they keep throwing me off...in a good way, snow ball opening the museum door is too much i was laughing lol

In the 180s, don't remember the specific chapter but that should narrow it

It's not even fans things all the time, works themselfs choose shorthand names for itself before airing, it's common to see those names as site domain for example , they are self aware that those long names are ridiculous and nobody actually use them
Thank you!

Will check it out now

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching Pokemon XY and enjoying it greatly. Recently got to the second half of the first series and with that came a new Opening which is fantastic (thought the first one was trash) and also they really started hyping up the Ash vs Citron Gym Battle, which I finally got to and it was simply excellent. The battle looked absolutely fantastic and you could really tell how everything that had happened to those characters in the series up until now was important to the fight and made the battle much more interesting than if they had just fought at the start of the series. Citron is probably my favorite Gym Leader in the whole series now and probably my favorite travel companion too (hell the travel party in XY is the best in the whole series imo).

Dragon Ball Super 28-30

Something tells me this series is not going to be kind to a Gohan fan like me.

Gohan fan here (as in he's my favorite character in DB, I'm rooting for him and he's among my favorite fictional characters ever). By the end of Super, I was satisfied, in a way that I certainly didn't expect to be by the point you're in right now.

Oct 25, 2017
your enthusiasm for these shows always makes me want to watch some just so I talk about them with you...
but then I remember I haven't been making the time to watch shows I actively want to watch :(

cardgames and beys and the other games are such fun anime and so colorful, so refreshing and at times really deep and thought provoking compared to the usual things.

If you do it then I'll do it too lol

Please do, cfvanguard is great.

I'm watching it, but there's really not much to say when they're essentially just remaking season 1. Admittedly I think s1 was the best season, but i'm not sure why they're remaking it so i'm Reserving judgement for now

I thought it had a better first episode than the original series.

This version is more in line with the manga and now the series airs at 10:30 pm in Japan, which means they can probably get away with a bit more than the other series did.

Oh awesome, even more hyped for it. Hopefully toshiki kai will be more extreme, I miss his first series self at times.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card 17

Amazing episode. Whenever the episode is canon, we can see how the anime really shines. Again stuff that didn't happen in the manga, leading me to think Ohkawa has rewritten some stuff in order to end the anime in a correct way. The card capture was flawless, really taking advantage of being an anime. I love this show.

Also can we just celebrate such a cute couple?

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hyped for more Fr33.

My favourite one of these is the Love Live episode where they're out and about and excited that there's merch of them on sale in Akihabara instead of, you know, fucking pissed that they signed over their likeness rights at some point (probably when they entered Love Live).

Even Nico who is a idol otaku and really should know more about the business side of shit than she does.

Man those girls are screwed. I always hear about the shadiness of the idol industry. They're probably gonna work until the agency has no need for them, and earn peanuts in comparison. Soma is the only one I've seen where the students at least earn something for their efforts, and the top students are raking it in. It's usually "Let's work our butt off and make assloads of cash for someone else! Team work!!!"

Anime girls need to unionize!

Oct 25, 2017
Barely-Bronze Kamuy 05

I can't see jack shit in half the scenes because of the darkening, and the scenes you can see look just bad. Wolf is CGI half of the time, and you get the reappearance of CGI Bear-kun which is always welcome. Even the scenes that are just shot-for-shot taken from the manga just don't look good.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today but man this is really bumming me out.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
It's a song created for an anime that is part of it's OST. And an integral part of the emotional story beats of the show, at that.

So yes, it fully qualifies.

I mean, I get that. My point is that it's not a song created for an anime. It's a cover of the Simon & Garfunkel version of a song that's likely over 600 years old. There's nothing wrong with that. Just pointing out the humor in that song, instead of an entirely original work, being someone's favorite ED.

Let me be clear that I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with that.
I love Scarborough Fair. I've always loved Scarborough Fair. That arrangement is beautiful and, while I haven't seen the show, I'm sure the themes line up in profound ways. I'm just saying that it's an amusing dichotomy.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017

For some reason this makes me think of emo music in the mid-2000s with its penchant for long titles. There seemed to be some self-awareness around it too with Fall Out Boy removing all the vowels from Thnks fr th Mmrs.

Oct 25, 2017
the best OP of the season is actually the one for Hoozuki no Reitetsu S2 2nd half but nobody watches it because y'all are plebs

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
the best OP of the season is actually the one for Hoozuki no Reitetsu S2 2nd half but nobody watches it because y'all are plebs

Gonna need a link, because otherwise...

This will be hard to top!

They are like $60 bucks a piece.....

I got them for $40 each years ago. You looking in the wrong places, my friend.

Edit: Looks like they released a new-ish version that has both seasons (read: all Clannad and Clannad After Story episodes) for $90 on Amazon.

Last edited:

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
something really minor but...

PRDiVv8l.jpg

(from Layton mystery detective agency #2)

i don't believe i watched tears form in glasses like that before in any work, i don't doubt it exist somewhere out there but it's kind of new to me

Also:

Lupin the 3rd Part V #4

q8Fooh3l.jpg

nothing to see here, just a boy outside of modern civilization .

dBNkuCrl.jpg

....wait wha-?!

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Gonna need a link, because otherwise...

This will be hard to top!

I got them for $40 each years ago. You looking in the wrong places, my friend.

Edit: Looks like they released a new-ish version that has both seasons (read: all Clannad and Clannad After Story episodes) for $90 on Amazon.

Yeah honey, I'm gonna buy a $90 BD anime set from Amazon for myself.....

response:

"nani"

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
tried watching the first season years ago when it aired it's 1st episode . but it was so reliant on Japanese folklore that i felt i could not appreciate it properly and understands it's jokes so i bailed out.
i liked what i watched from it tho

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I love MHA a lot, but the season 3 OP is... well, I'll just say that there's definitely better OPs out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Even for this season with generally weak OPs MHA's is pretty weak. What stands out for me -

Captain Tsubasa
Hoozuki no Reitetsu
GeGeGe no Kitaro
I still like the Franxx OP song and I guess this ones better then the last one?
Persona 5 AKA not as good as the actual game's OP
The opening guitar riff of the Megalo Box OP
The part with the hands in the Wotaku OP

I would trade all of these for something on the level of Devilman Crybaby's or Pop Team's last season. True titans in the OP space

tried watching the first season years ago when it aired it's 1st episode . but it was so reliant on Japanese folklore that i felt i could not appreciate it properly and understands it's jokes so i bailed out.
i liked what i watched from it tho

I was in the same spot. I bounced off the first season of Hoozuki because its on Hyouge Mono levels of deep cut Japanese culture things and its just a dry humor and you're not eased into it. I grew into it and like it a lot now.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
man, I'm really glad I got through that first season of Full Metal Panic because The Second Raid and this new season have been just wonderful.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
This is the first time I'm watching this OP, and yikes, are they serious with that music? I have a hard time believing this is a professionally released product. I've seen plenty of amateur AMVs with better music syncing than this OP.

The OP I wasn't in love with at first because of the direction it took (especially with the music), but it really grew on me by the second episode and I really love it.

The ED is not great this season for MHA, though.

I haven't thought about my favorite OP this season really but this one's up there easily.

My man!

Oct 25, 2017
Well all music is at least tolerable if you put it on mute.

Ha. I mean, the MHA S3 OP judged purely visually has strong production values with high-quality animation, and conceptually is a solid if not incredibly creative battle shounen OP. But it feels like the music was suddenly swapped out last-minute, because it has no connection to anything happening on screen. It's a quirky song that would need special handling to make work for an OP sequence, and it didn't get that.

Oct 25, 2017
Battle shonen OPs been playing catchup to JoJo for like 6 years now. I like both of DB Super's OPs but maybe thats just because I watched them like 50 times each. Limit Break x Survivor rules though

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Noteworthy openings and endings from this season:
"To see the future" Ending from SAO Alternative Gun Gale Online
"Clover" Ending from Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori
"Le temps de la rentrée" Ending from Hisone to Maso-tan
"Hibana" Ending from Golden Kamuy

There is some passable stuff in other places. Generally terrible season for openings.

Status
Not open for further replies.