• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The new Need for Speed has a ton of MTs. You can use real money to buy the Speed Points which can purchase lootboxes, or you can grind to obtain Speed Points in game. However, there's a 30 minute refresh timer for the in-game currency purchased stuff. The lootboxes can contain fast cars.

nfs.jpg
What the hell? I thought NFS:P is single player only
-------
I fully expect Anthem to follow Destiny's loot box model, just hope they got a proper endgame this time

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game will have Loot Boxes, or a loot store, at best it will be similar to Destiny. The game is almost guaranteed to also have a "deluxe" edition. That gives early access or exclusive access to some gear. That's just par for the course with EA, and increasingly other companies. Those are a given, and to a degree I accept them. But what frustrates me is the doubling up nowadays, of full priced game, loot boxes and paid DLC.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why we're talking about Destiny here. Destiny microtransaction system isn't really bad. I mean - when you compare it to Battlefront 2 or new NFS. Bright Engram are just cosmetic items and low-level mods. I'm worried that in Anthem you will be able to somehow buy currency to get actual better gear.

But I hope they will surprise me.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be impossible to get everything like in For Honor. That's my bet.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell? I thought NFS:P is single player only
Nope, it has online racing. And the best part is that you race with the cars you've customised in story mode so you'll keep on losing to players with better cars unless you grind like crazy to max the speed rating out or start paying for microtransactions.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If EA wants lootbox-only progression in the game, then the game will get lootbox-only progression. If BioWare would refuse then EA would easily close down the studio and give it to another that is more compliant.

It's nice to see some resistance, but you can be sure if push comes to shove, BioWare will comply with the publisher.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, it has online racing. And the best part is that you race with the cars you've customised in story mode so you'll keep on losing to players with better cars unless you grind like crazy to max the speed rating out or start paying for microtransactions.
That sounds terrible. Good thing the game's off my list after the reviews dropped

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I hate how all of this is going. Even a developer who is also a gamer and prefers not having unfair loot box systems can only say "your perspective is being represented" and we want our loot box system to be "somewhat reasonable". It sounds like the battle is already lost. I'm sure the decision is coming from the top but this developer isn't even talking about not having loot boxes or making sure there is nothing exploitative or unfair about them, he's basically only able to say "we don't want it to be too fucked up."

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
To be honest this doesnt sound really encouraging for the final release.

EA doesnt care what they think and until then there is gonna be a shitty system in place for sure.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a new IP, I expect them to ship without microtransactions and add them later so reviews won't be influenced.

Oct 29, 2017
I wish if these devs really felt so passionately about it, they'd wait until the game is in full production and then all got up, said "Who's Man Heir?" and left the studio.

I will keep having nice dreams about this thing that will never happen.

Avixph

Oct 25, 2017
They could be correct, by the time this game comes out there will be something worse than loot boxes.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a new IP, I expect them to ship without microtransactions and add them later so reviews won't be influenced.
I'm convinced this is the route Destiny 2 is taking. Very light touch MT at start, non intrusive. But they'll drop a huge MT update slightly before or with the first DLC.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just don't buy games with loot boxes. Simple.

And that's not some moral, screen-beret type position. I just know that as soon as loot boxes are involved, it means grindy, loot progression systems or pew-pew online multiplayer.

No thanks.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is also why I give absolutely zero fucks about EA not being that fussed with the Switch.

Awful publisher.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We have members of staff with those concerns" and just doing it anyway is EAs MO tho.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My guess is that they'll carbon copy Destiny's bright engram set-up where you only get cosmetic stuff (or the occasional legendary that's pretty okay once you boost its lightl)

The new Need for Speed has a ton of MTs. You can use real money to buy the Speed Points which can purchase lootboxes, or you can grind to obtain Speed Points in game. However, there's a 30 minute refresh timer for the in-game currency purchased stuff. The lootboxes can contain fast cars.

nfs.jpg

well that's settled that then.

i was actually looking forward to it after they announced the single player was offline (unlike the last NFS game) it seems it's always 1 step forwards, 2 steps back.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Comments regarding microtransactions in triple-A game development are as meaningless as they come. They'll say whatever needs to be said at this time in the hype cycle, and then reality hits and it's a whole different story.

Publishers have been on record lying about microtransactions in these games literally a couple of weeks before release. And they don't bother retracting anything, either.

The sales team gets what the sales team needs.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The Bioware I knew and loved is long gone..... Over the years I followed the Development ME2, ME3 and ME:A and devs made vague statements and promises etc over twitter etc. Over time these statements and in some cases promises have come to fruition far less.

I don't blame the devs, they likely make these statements wanted to do what they say, but clearly their vision is getting more diluted.

If Anthem isn't a "success" I fully expect Bioware to be scaled back, if DA4 isn't a "success" I think that they will closed at that point.

And yeah MTs will rife in Anthem I've no doubt at all.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the response is "we have people on staff with those concerns" well no shit you do. People working in this industry have major reservations about these monetization schemes but as has been made abundantly clear their reservations fall on deaf ears at EA. The developer in the interview even literally said exactly this about how he voiced concerns about the game's development and they were comeokrley ignored because the higher ups didn't wanna hear it. Anyone thinking the monetization in this game isn't good by to push boundaries is fooling themselves.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
In the current climate nothing a developer says can ease my concerns. I appreciate them going out of their way to say at least something instead staying silent, but I'd rather just wait and see what actually happens when the game is released.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
"We hear you." is meaningless in this case, BioWare aren't the ones who decide on monetization. Expect loot boxes everywhere.

Exactly.

Bioware are just trying to save face, they have no power here, stating the studios loot box preferences makes no difference as to how loot boxes will be implemented at the end of the day.

All this Bioware guy is doing is publically pointing the finger at EA for if/when come Anthem's release people don't like the progression structure.

It is EA's money and they'll get what they want, whether it helps or hurts the experience.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So much going against this game, not even wishful thinking is gonna rescue it for me. I look forward to seeing it breaking sales records!

ps3ud0 8)

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully reviews reflect the true nature of the game and it's monetizing systems. We need to support media outlets that have our best interests at heart, offsetting any sort of retribution that may be inflicted upon them for their honesty.

I'm truly looking forward to Anthem but will give it a hard pass if they implement these systems in a heavy handed way.

Feral Gingy

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Yeah... it's clear there will be lootboxes and other MT all over Anthem.

Such are the times. No amount of talking and acknowledgment from devs is going to stop the publishers from ignoring them.

The players have embraced these practices and so nothing will change for now.

Oct 27, 2017
Hears the thing, EA has the final call. They say put something in it has to be put in. I hope they're smart enough not to screw the game over as they could have a hit on their hands as Bungie keeps stumbling and are complacent from lack of competition.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that they'll carbon copy Destiny's bright engram set-up where you only get cosmetic stuff (or the occasional legendary that's pretty okay once you boost its lightl)

B91z6zL.gif

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if they do copy destiny's silver currency stuff at the start and later on once people are hooked in they start changing it cause, well EA will EA

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
EA will do what EA wants to do. This project is prime for their monetization plague and BioWare is on thin ice; they don't have the power to push back even if they wanted to.

Nov 1, 2017
"We understand your concerns, fellow gamers!" is not a firm denial. Papa EA is gonna get what they want. If they want lootboxes in the game Bioware can't do jack shit about it.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to call this "statement" wishy washy, but "we hear you" and "we are talking about it" sound so meaningless where EA is involved that "expect the worst and be pleasantly (?) surprised when it's only just as bad as every other game out there and not a new low in the medium" sounds more like it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Their stance is nice and all, but EA won't care.

Exactly. It's not up to Bioware in the end. Look at what happened with Dead Space 3, and this was well before this kind of shit was the norm.

Really though, as much as I dislike the practice, "we" only have ourselves to blame. If no one spent a dime on any of this, it wouldn't be implemented. Apparently, a lot of people love it...

It's just horse armor. It's not hurting anyone!

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the...rotransactions-from-horse-armor-to-loot-boxes

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Bioware: "We have concerns about MTs, we're gamers too!"

EA: "We've listened to your concerns and have chosen to completely ignore them, MTs or GTFO"

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
And when Anthem doesn't do as well as Destiny add Bioware to the list of closed studios because they know no other way.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lets be honest guys, this is the perfect game to milk lootboxes. As much as the devs might not want it in there, the pubs will pressure them to have them in the game.

The best I think we'll get is MT's or Lootboxes for cosmetic upgrades only but I suspect that will be asking for a bit much here.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
All signs point to Anthem having micro transactions. It's nice and all this supposed developer on the project shares the community's concerns about it, and that "that perspective is represented", but I don't see EA leaving micro transactions out of their "Destiny". It's too big of an opportunity for them to pass up.