• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gordon Shumway

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melmac
What made me leave..

A friend's dad was expelled, while an elder's grandson was running around town doing the exact same as dude did with zero consequence..and racism..plus other stuff. Hypocrisy, ultimately..

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mom and Gramma were (and still are) growing up. She was a single mom scared of "armageddon" because my gramma in like 87 was like, "when you kill roaches (I'm from harlem LOL) , do you just kill the parent roaches or the baby roaches too? Jehovah coming" LOL. She got baptized in 92 and just kept it moving. Then she remarried an elder in 09'. That said, I don't have any PROBLEMS with them. The thought of there being a god is just antithesis to reality in my opinion. I also don't believe they are that different from other religions. Strict as fuck (my mom wasn't) but what's the difference from other evangelicals?

Last edited:

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
My Dad was one. He continually was being pulled up by their committee or whatever because he was a bit rebellious.

edit: forgot to mention one of my Aunts and her kids still are. The other auntie left with my Dad.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
My fiancee was raised JW and left them/was disfellowshipped for sleeping with me. Ive heard some fucked up stories from her about JW life. Somehow she got extremely lucky and eventually her parents and siblings left too. Her parents started sharing their views with people still in the church to get them out, which led to several more leaving and caused the eventual collapse and shutdown of their congregation.

yes i destroyed a kingdom hall with my penis

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
I saw you posting in the other thread OP and I wanted to ask you but I didnt want to be insensitive. I'm a protestant christian and I was very curious as to what they were shoving dowm people's throats.

The 144,000 reserved places in heaven is wild, and not in the good way. And this is ontop of the thread where I saw you in the first place.

I'm glad you were able to get out OP.

Non-denominational Christian checking in. I am usually defending religion on era but the limited space in heaven thing as Jehovah's Witness Orthodoxy really makes it impossible to defend.

It's one of the strongest indicators of a man-made religion rather than a god Divined One, when space in Paradise is limited. It demonstrates a finite, historically contextual understanding of the world and its future.

Perhaps in the 19th century 144,000 Souls made sense. But now? Their heaven is likely full already. Why even bother?

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I also don't believe they are that different from other religions. Strict as fuck (my mom wasn't) but what's the difference from other evangelicals?

I disagree with this part. While there are of course going to be variations on how strictly each individual member adheres to the directives of the Governing Body, those directives are not mainstream. And enough follow them to the letter for it to be a major problem.

Specifically, they teach:
* The Governing Body is God's representative on Earth. What they say should be treated the same as if having come from God himself. Disobeying or even disagreeing with their Bible interpretations or decisions is considered disloyalty.
* All research into doctrine is to be done using literature published by the Watchtower Bible and Tracy Society. And doubts should be raised to congregation elders. Any other source that is critical of the religion is to be strictly avoided as it is apostate literature.
* Tied to the point above, Witnesses are strongly discouraged from attending college. At most a 2 year technical degree. Too much education is dangerous.
* Any "mistakes" made by the religion, such as failed prophecies or changes in doctrine aren't mistakes at all but part of Jehovah's plan. This is called "New Light" . Supposedly God is revealing more of the truth little by little as time goes on. This one is a biggie. They have figured out how to deflect criticism of past failures by making members actually proud of them. A genius move and why it is so hard to get through to a JW.
* JW doctrine centers on an us vs them mentality. The are separated from regular society by disallowing common holidays and activities. Birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, mother's day, patriotic holidays. You name it. Not allowed.
* The blood transfusion doctrine. Another biggie. People actually die due to this. My mother in law died last year due to this.
* If you disagree with any of the above and don't repent you are kicked out. Being kicked out means you lose all contact with friends and family. They are told to completely shun you. It's like you don't exist.
* If you leave voluntarily, even without having "sinned"and being officially kicked out, you get the same treatment. Shunned.

None of this is mainstream. It is cult like. Individual Jehovah's Witnesses may be perfectly pleasant people and as I said, many secretly bend these rules, but they are still the rules.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
When JW visit my house (usually around spring), I make it a habit to tell them that I'm a follower of Satan. Usually scares them off nicely

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with this part. While there are of course going to be variations on how strictly each individual member adheres to the directives of the Governing Body, those directives are not mainstream. And enough follow them to the letter for it to be a major problem.

Specifically, they teach:
* The Governing Body is God's representative on Earth. What they say should be treated the same as if having come from God himself. Disobeying or even disagreeing with their Bible interpretations or decisions is considered disloyalty.
* All research into doctrine is to be done using literature published by the Watchtower Bible and Tracy Society. And doubts should be raised to congregation elders. Any other source that is critical of the religion is to be strictly avoided as it is apostate literature.
* Tied to the point above, Witnesses are strongly discouraged from attending college. At most a 2 year technical degree. Too much education is dangerous.
* Any "mistakes" made by the religion, such as failed prophecies or changes in doctrine aren't mistakes at all but part of Jehovah's plan. This is called "New Light" . Supposedly God is revealing more of the truth little by little as time goes on. This one is a biggie. They have figured out how to deflect criticism of past failures by making members actually proud of them. A genius move and why it is so hard to get through to a JW.
* JW doctrine centers on an us vs them mentality. The are separated from regular society by disallowing common holidays and activities. Birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, mother's day, patriotic holidays. You name it. Not allowed.
* The blood transfusion doctrine. Another biggie. People actually die due to this. My mother in law died last year due to this.
* If you disagree with any of the above and don't repent you are kicked out. Being kicked out means you lose all contact with friends and family. They are told to completely shun you. It's like you don't exist.
* If you leave voluntarily, even without having "sinned"and being officially kicked out, you get the same treatment. Shunned.

None of this is mainstream. It is cult like. Individual Jehovah's Witnesses may be perfectly pleasant people and as I said, many secretly bend these rules, but they are still the rules.

I went to college and told my mom I had no real goals in the religion. I lived w/ my gramma all throughout college, because my mom moved upstate.

That said, aren't all religions kinda cult-like?

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I ran into JW's when I was living in a rural town north of Toronto. I was a young kid and open to learning about new religions, but then they went on about there's only one god, all other religions are fake, worshiping idols is akin to worshiping the devil etc. My family and I still kept listening to them, eventually they wanted to convert us. My dad told the guy straight up, how much $$$ will you get to convert a family and I can I keep a cut if you do? The JW guy backed out and we didn't hear from them.

The bribes they were offering me were kind of creepy. Attend church every Sunday and I will buy you a new tv for your Playsation etc.

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a friend that was a JW. I tried to explain to him some of the Catholic viewpoints on certain Christian topics (since I'm non religious but was raised in the faith,) and his response was a straight-faced, completely serious: "Well, you were raised wrong."

He can be weirdly suggestable and I've always marveled at how someone who escaped from what he self-describes as a "cult" could so constantly willing to believe things with seemingly no irony or self-reflection.

Nowadays he's big on the Men's Rights bandwagon, with a dash of "I'm not a Trump supporter but I don't think he's problematic and I acknowledge but don't care that he's a pathological liar," "higher education is a Liberal/Leftist brainwashing system," and a smidge of "the white Christian male is being discriminated against! Traditional gender roles are being eroded! Compassion and empathy are weaknesses!"

He was also falling into MGTOW for a while, but - surprise! That vanished completely and instantly the second he found a girlfriend, now wife, who I feel vaguely sorry for after hearing him share opinions like "Women are meant to be submissive to men - it's in the Bible," and "feminism is is incompatible with Christianity."

He cut me out of his life recently because I started more consciously questioning his stances and he declared that I've become "toxic" for it. Frankly, I've taken it in stride - though obviously with some resentment - since it's given me the chance to reflect and realize that he was fun to hang out with but really poor at actually "being a friend."

Hell, he invited me to his bachelor party but not his wedding, and when called on it he claimed he thought I wouldn't be able to afford it, but the wedding was only $70 a person and I'd just dropped a couple hundred on travel, food, etc. to attend the bachelor party. He just didn't want me there. I don't know specifically why, but it's the only explanation that makes sense.

This is a guy I once asked to borrow $10 from so that I could eat over the weekend and he turned me down saying he didn't have it and he didn't know how he'd get the money to me, anyway.

Like... What? He'd just checked his checking account right in front of me that afternoon, ATMs exist, we both worked at the same place and lived less than a mile from each other. I honestly think he just got a sick psychological kick out of the idea that he controlled whether I got to eat for 2 days or not, and he judged that I should suffer - which sort of neatly sums up how I feel about religion as a near-whole, actually.

Last edited:

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I went to college and told my mom I had no real goals in the religion. I lived w/ my gramma all throughout college, because my mom moved upstate.

That said, aren't all religions kinda cult-like?

Note that the college thing isn't a considered sin or grounds for disfellowshipping. It is just strongly discouraged. To a lot of JWs, when the Governing Body strongly discourages something, it is tantamount to prohibiting it.

I conceded in my post that individual JWs may be more willing to bend rules and look the other way on certain issues. That's human nature. The way you were treated speaks well of your mom and grandma. But the official doctrines from the Governing Body aren't as flexible.

As for all religions, I wouldn't call them all cult like. Most other mainstream religions don't have a shunning policy nor do they direct members to let themselves die by refusing medical treatments.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was one until I was old enough to move out at 18.

When I was young I hated it. But mostly becuase no birthdays, holidays (accept adults could celebrate anniversary, go figure), and going to church (the kingdom hall) was boring. I never faked sick going to school as much as I faked sick on Sunday mornings.

I just accepted the believes as a kid. That only JW were the only correct religion, everyone else was going to die in Armageddon and we were going to rebuild the earth as a paradise (the new system)
This is how my mom would explain it to me. She would show me pictures of the paradise, poeple being happy, petting wild animals, growing food. I would look at these pictures and think, yeah it's cool to pet a lion, but I don't even see a Nintendo. So how cool could it be?

This was my attitude pretty much all through my youth. I wpuld hsve to lie to kids at school about all the cool Christmas presents I got, becuase I didn't want yo feel left out. And as a kid, you felt out alot. My mom would constantly try to set me up with friends within the church. But I found them stuck up and didn't like them. So would ride my bike around the neighborhood and play with other kids in secret.

It wasn't until high school that I told some friends at school I was Jw Who then asked me, "you know that's all bullshit right?"

I never had anyone question my beliefs before. Questioning beliefs in itself is the worst sin possible.

He then began going over my beliefs, debunking the nonsense with science ( not just JW, but Christianity in General. I was shocked and stunned. I had no idea. I jyst accepted everything (even though I wasnt a very good JW anyway)

I always felt robbed of the childhood everyone else had and had to lie to feel normal.

My mom has now since divorced her devout husband, the way she was treated by the church as a result of the divorce has caused her to question her belief and is no longer a member. ( my step dad was abusive and after years of abuse she had enough and wanted a divorce. The church blamed her, becuase she's supposed to be loyal no matter what)

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I was one until I was old enough to move out at 18.

When I was young I hated it. But mostly becuase no birthdays, holidays (accept adults could celebrate anniversary, go figure), and going to church (the kingdom hall) was boring. I never faked sick going to school as much as I faked sick on Sunday mornings.

I just accepted the believes as a kid. That only JW were the only correct religion, everyone else was going to die in Armageddon and we were going to rebuild the earth as a paradise (the new system)
This is how my mom would explain it to me. She would show me pictures of the paradise, poeple being happy, petting wild animals, growing food. I would look at these pictures and think, yeah it's cool to pet a lion, but I don't even see a Nintendo. So how cool could it be?

This was my attitude pretty much all through my youth. I wpuld hsve to lie to kids at school about all the cool Christmas presents I got, becuase I didn't want yo feel left out. And as a kid, you felt out alot. My mom would constantly try to set me up with friends within the church. But I found them stuck up and didn't like them. So would ride my bike around the neighborhood and play with other kids in secret.

It wasn't until high school that I told some friends at school I was Jw Who then asked me, "you know that's all bullshit right?"

I never had anyone question my beliefs before. Questioning beliefs in itself is the worst sin possible.

He then began going over my beliefs, debunking the nonsense with science ( not just JW, but Christianity in General. I was shocked and stunned. I had no idea. I jyst accepted everything (even though I wasnt a very good JW anyway)

I always felt robbed of the childhood everyone else had and had to lie to feel normal.

My mom has now since divorced her devout husband, the way she was treated by the church as a result of the divorce has caused her to question her belief and is no longer a member. ( my step dad was abusive and after years of abuse she had enough and wanted a divorce. The church blamed her, becuase she's supposed to be loyal no matter what)
I feel this way too. My childhood was crap compounded by the fact that my family wasn't even well off to begin with. The whole dating thing messed up the way I interacted with girls and made me incredibly nervous for no reason. What's done is done but I know one thing for sure: I will never enforce my religious beliefs on my kids.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
I was personally never in but I have family that are. Namely my paternal grandparents and a few uncles. Because they're so devout I have met all of them once, at most, in my life and I couldn't tell you anything about them besides their names. Just some crazy shit for people to disown and ignore 5/7 of their children and their many grandchildren because of some silly religion.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How effective is the door to door preaching?

I have always seen JW walking on the street (normally foreigners) yet I have never seen one knocking a door, how they decide who is worthy to ask? and how many people they must convert if they don't want to be punished?

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
How effective is the door to door preaching?

I have always seen JW walking on the street (normally foreigners) yet I have never seen one knocking a door, how they decide who is worthy to ask? and how many people they must convert if they don't want to be punished?

No punishment for not successfully converting people. As long as they take part in the work and try they are good. If you refuse to go out proselytizing you won't get kicked out but you will be marked as a bad association. Meaning that you are not excommunicated but aren't spiritual and other members will give you a wide berth. Not as strict as shunning. They can say hello and acknowledge you exist, but you might be left out of recreational group outings, parties, etc.

Everyone is a potential target to JWs. In my experience it is easier to convert the poor, depressed, or anyone who has suffered recent tragedy. The leadership knows this too. There is a weekly meeting JWs attend with the aim of training them to be effective proselytizers. They flat out give tips on what to say to people who have recently lost a loved one or been through a natural disaster, etc. There are pamplets geared just for that. JWs have also been known to go through local obituaries and target the families of the deceased with phone calls or letters.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Who wouldn't want to hang out with Robert Downey Jr. Jesus.

008.jpg

Queenvee

Oct 25, 2017
Non-denominational Christian checking in. I am usually defending religion on era but the limited space in heaven thing as Jehovah's Witness Orthodoxy really makes it impossible to defend.

It's one of the strongest indicators of a man-made religion rather than a god Divined One, when space in Paradise is limited. It demonstrates a finite, historically contextual understanding of the world and its future.

Perhaps in the 19th century 144,000 Souls made sense. But now? Their heaven is likely full already. Why even bother?

144,000 go to heaven yes, but everyone else lives in paradise on earth which is going to be a beautiful place and everyone is cured of illness etc... so it's essentially your equivalent of heaven... and ya... that basically sums that up... anyways I'm out of there so it doesn't matter but I thought I would clarify that because I think you misunderstood,

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No punishment for not successfully converting people. As long as they take part in the work and try they are good. If you refuse to go out proselytizing you won't get kicked out but you will be marked as a bad association. Meaning that you are not excommunicated but aren't spiritual and other members will give you a wide berth. Not as strict as shunning. They can say hello and acknowledge you exist, but you might be left out of recreational group outings, parties, etc.

Everyone is a potential target to JWs. In my experience it is easier to convert the poor, depressed, or anyone who has suffered recent tragedy. The leadership knows this too. There is a weekly meeting JWs attend with the aim of training them to be effective proselytizers. They flat out give tips on what to say to people who have recently lost a loved one or been through a natural disaster, etc. There are pamplets geared just for that. JWs have also been known to go through local obituaries and target the families of the deceased with phone calls or letters.

I see

If I send people to another country to do a mission, how could I know if they are trying to do their best and not slacking off?

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, I wasn't JW, but as an Ex-Evangelical Christian, when I was a kid and Heaven was discussed, I thought this very thing. "Praising God 24/7 for eternity seems like it might get kinda stale", I thought.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
144,000 go to heaven yes, but everyone else lives in paradise on earth which is going to be a beautiful place and everyone is cured of illness etc... so it's essentially your equivalent of heaven... and ya... that basically sums that up... anyways I'm out of there so it doesn't matter but I thought I would clarify that because I think you misunderstood,

I guess I did misunderstand...but if there's paradise on earth, why care about heaven? Now I'm even more confused.

Queenvee

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I did misunderstand...but if there's paradise on earth, why care about heaven? Now I'm even more confused.

The point of the paradise was supposed to be like our original purpose was to live perfectly on earth before Adam and Eve f*****d that up for us basically... so the 144,000 are going to heaven to help rule with Jesus because they've been Human and can understand us and therefore govern us and be our perfect government in heaven. That's what it means, the 144,000 will also help out during Armageddon was my understanding.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
The point of the paradise was supposed to be like our original purpose was to live perfectly on earth before Adam and Eve f*****d that up for us basically... so the 144,000 are going to heaven to help rule with Jesus because they've been Human and can understand us and therefore govern us and be our perfect government in heaven. That's what it means, the 144,000 will also help out during Armageddon was my understanding.
Is this stuff found in the New World Translation? I have a copy but of the few passages I've compared to my NIV, they didn't seem too dissimilar. Do you know where these beliefs come from?

Queenvee

Oct 25, 2017
Is this stuff found in the New World Translation? I have a copy but of the few passages I've compared to my NIV, they didn't seem too dissimilar. Do you know where these beliefs come from?

You can use any bible I believe because that's how I was taught to preach to use the persons bible and show them in their bible the passages... I could explain it but to be honest I don't have a great grasp of it myself. I know it has some math to it and it is in the bible. I'm sorry I can't go into more depth than that, maybe another ex witness will see and answer this in better detail...

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can use any bible I believe because that's how I was taught to preach to use the persons bible and show them in their bible the passages... I could explain it but to be honest I don't have a great grasp of it myself. I know it has some math to it and it is in the bible. I'm sorry I can't go into more depth than that, maybe another ex witness will see and answer this in better detail...

It's mentioned in Revelation and maybe in the Old Testament somewhere? I don't remember

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I know that this is not the point of the thread, but I see some great pieces of art here.

At least they are good artists...

I am not religious at all (to put it mildly....), but I really appreciate the Jehova's Witnesses visual media for how diverse and representative it is. It's like these guys are the only ones in the world who realize that the world consists of more than just White People, token black people, and women of colour.

Now why can't other organizations be like that?!

Queenvee

Oct 25, 2017
I am not religious at all (to put it mildly....), but I really appreciate the Jehova's Witnesses visual media for how diverse and representative it is. It's like these guys are the only ones in the world who realize that the world consists of more than just White People, token black people, and women of colour.

Now why can't other organizations be like that?!

Actually now that I think of it, there's more people of colour in the hall I went to than there were "white" people. That's one thing I will say is that they are very open to everyone around the world, it's not a "white" people's religion.

ColdVergil

Oct 25, 2017
Oh... What a thread. I was forced to this religion, I've suffered because of this religion. My dad suffered and both of my uncles did. Everytime I hear the name I just feel like puking. Just... Awful. Even nowadays still get that criticism.

I never faked sick going to school as much as I faked sick on Sunday mornings.

I did this too as well. I tried to find every excuse I could.

There's also many stuff that this thread hasn't covered. My grandpa is one of the leaders and i've heard some shit.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Met two girls growing up that left at 16 to live together. They were real nice and just basically said it was so fucked up they had to gtfo.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
One of the first people to ring my doorbell when I first moved to Japan ten years ago was a Jehovah's Witness who could speak English. Ten years later in a totally different prefecture I live above a couple in their 60s who are also Jehovah's Witnesses and there is a hall down the street. How Japanese people end up[ JW I will never know given the religious make up of the society as a whole but I wouldn't be surprised if that 8 million member number was actually higher worldwide.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I met one ex-witness, and she was a terrific person. Super nice and all, but she was deeply hurting from being cut off from her family after leaving. I hope she is doing well.

IPSF

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tangentially knew a girl who was raised as a Johovas Witness. Put simply she was seriously messed up and we suspected child abuse. She ended up seriously into drugs and sleeping around last I heard, so as you can imagine my thoughts on them aren't great.

That said, there's a lovely old lady across the street who is Johovas Witness as is he daughter and grandson who are equally lovely and normal. Though it seems they don't take it that seriously. Which is weird for such a strict religion.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I see

If I send people to another country to do a mission, how could I know if they are trying to do their best and not slacking off?

Don't know about other religions but every JW reports how many hours they put into the preaching work using a form. It's a little form with entries for hours, literature handed out, Bible studies conducted etc.
The organization keeps stats and proudly reports on them during the service meeting. World-wide yearly stats are also published in a yearbook.
The rule of thumb is that the typical JW should try to achieve the average monthly hours in the stats. This is usually around 10. If someone regularly reports under 10 hours, particularly if they are young and healthy, chances are they will be approached by elders and counseled. Those who report no hours in a month and then a low number of hours other months are labeled "irregular". Those that report no hours at all for 6 consecutive months are labeled "inactive". Congregations will take steps to help these correct course. Rest assured that if you are irregular or inactive your social life could take a serious hit.
Of course people fudge these numbers all the time. I used to flat out lie just to stay in that sweet zone where I wouldn't be officially marked, yet keep them believable enough so it wasn't obvious I was lying.
Therefore all official JW stats regarding the preaching work are bullshit because I know for a fact that many did as I did.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually now that I think of it, there's more people of colour in the hall I went to than there were "white" people. That's one thing I will say is that they are very open to everyone around the world, it's not a "white" people's religion.

Sorry to quote you again, but this is very true. They exhibited HUGE growth (for them) all over Africa, Mexico, South America and else where. And I believe you won't find many congregations that are majority white.

I also want to mention that I WAS baptized at like 22. I'm not DF'd but that's because them niggas can't find me. Now, I didn't get baptized out of belief. Just wanted to make my mom and g-ma happy. Really dumb decision as an atheist. That said, them motherfuckers don't bother me much. Their belief system sucks, but whatever. Fuck their religion is founded on false pretenses and shit people make up, like all religions. Mormans are similar with excommunication as are certain types of Islam. And evangelicals are just as crazy, in my opinion.

Queenvee

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys ever have days where you question if you were indoctrinated into this religion? Like sometimes it gets me still, especially when it comes to topics of sex, holidays and the end of the system of things...

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I hope I don't get in trouble for necro-posting but I wanted to make a thread about this but looks like it's already been made! I'm an exJW myself who just disassociated earlier this year and have started my own Youtube channel to focus my activism. Outside of that I've been in search of others with similar life experiences and get my life in order now that I've escaped the Watchtower!

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I hope I don't get in trouble for necro-posting but I wanted to make a thread about this but looks like it's already been made! I'm an exJW myself who just disassociated earlier this year and have started my own Youtube channel to focus my activism. Outside of that I've been in search of others with similar life experiences and get my life in order now that I've escaped the Watchtower!

One thing I hate about the organization is how it effects some people who leave. Where their identity becomes an ex-JW, so its still like the person isnt able to really move on. I would like to see more people kind of just close the book on them when they leave.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
If they ever come to your door and you want to troll them, just say that you talk to demons and you worship Satan. This will legitimately freak them out, because they will 100% believe that it is true. Then say you want to be on the "Do not call list." Once you're on that list they will never come to your door again.

Last edited:

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I've lost all my friends due to leaving and my wife just left me. My growing up a JW has left my working and social life severely destroyed and stunted. I'm trying to go back to college but its a long road. I try not to be miserable but I now have no one in my life. Glad you seem to be positive about your situation.

If they ever come to your door and you want to troll them, just say that you talk to demons and you worship Satan. This will legitimately freak them out, because they will 100% believe that it is true. Then say you want to the on the "Do not call list." Once you're on that list they will never come to your door again.

You realize you're posting this in a thread for ex-JWs, so we would know what works or doesn't. The first thing is bullshit as it was done to me several times and the person always thinks they're being clever, but in reality we're just going to leave because if you want to be left alone, we will. The second one is the true thing. You don't need to bullshit, just tell them to never call again.

Dan.

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
London & Taiwan
Checking in, I was forced into it by my Dad, he got 'coverted' in prison, by a JW who used to visit him and do bible studies with him, typical JW tactic, preying on people at their lowest point with overly nice bullshit.

Was forced to go on the ministry, go to meetings. It was really awful for me, because i could see in everyone eyes on every door we knocked that they just thought we were crazy, it kinda stuck with me, the feeling of just being embarrassed and ashamed at a really young age. It really fucked me up too because my mother and father were going through a custody battle at the time, so my dad would tell me Christmas and birthdays shouldn't be celebrated and how awful my mother was, and my mom was doing the total opposite. I just didn't understand i was like 6 years old. really confused the fuck out of me.

I was abused by a JW too, Probably why i went on to get expelled from several schools and constantly be in trouble with the police from the ages of 18-25. really fucked me up good n proper. hahah. I'm fine now though, some JW's are totally lovely I guess. But there's something honestly sinister about a lot of Elders

Giruvegan

I was raised as one. Both grandmothers on either side still try to get me to go to meetings. I always pass. Growing up it was very isolating. I hated how I wasn't allowed to interact with the world normally. By the time I was a teenager I refused to go out in Field Service and was doing research on other religions. My grandmother on my mother's side refuses to accept that I won't have anything to do with the organization anymore. I don't have much contact with my family as a result.

It's good to know that there are others here who may understand what I experienced.

Even now, I'm still acclimating to life after distancing myself.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
One thing I hate about the organization is how it effects some people who leave. Where their identity becomes an ex-JW, so its still like the person isnt able to really move on. I would like to see more people kind of just close the book on them when they leave.
I think the issue with this is that many of those who leave are either disfellowshipped, in the act of fading, or disassociate, all of these have consequences when it comes to family and friends that are still in. For instance, I grew up and identified as a JW for nearly my entire life (I'll be 31 later this month), and so when I recently just left I realized I literally had no identity outside of what I believed.

For instance, I had to completely rethink what I thought about the future of humanity, what happens after death, actually invest in my one and only life and care about issues that as a Witness we were told to not have opinions on or wait on Jehovah to solve. Not to mention my family is still in along with every single person and friends I knew since I grew up that meant anything to me. My entire life revolved around the Witness life and I had planned my entire future based on the belief that it was all going to end soon anyway, so when Witnesses have identity issues once they leave it's for good reason.

That's unless of course you perhaps grew up in it, had a family member who was in it and you decided it wasn't for you. But for those who were baptized there are real life issues that don't go away even after you've come to grips with your own personal issues: such as shunning, the alienation you feel trying to integrate into real-world society, and so on.

So I'm not trying to say that moving on is bad, but all the elements of being a Witness throughout your life literally strip you of who you are that when you get out it's incredibly hard to even build a new personality without a lot of time.

BennyBeGoode

Nov 3, 2017
Germany

Glad you revived the thread. I was DF'ed about 4 years ago and even tried to get re-instated, just to be able to be with my family again. But it's just too depressing. For a long time I believed in the doctrine and thought I was a bad person who couldn't live according to the high standards of the JWs.

But when I found out how they handle child abuse (they don't report it to the authorities, handle it internaly. Most times the victims gets kicked out and the abuser is protected), I really lost my believe in them. This cannot ever be "gods organisation", how they call themselves.
For the last 3 months or so I watched a lot of exJW content on Youtube, like Lloyd Evans (John Cedars Channel) and others, also some new channels in german. I think about doing my own channel in german. Sharing stories is good for everyone who leaves and needs healing.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is nightmare fuel. I keep having some Jenovah Witnesses at my door around spring/early summer. I always try and steer them off but they keep coming back.

Do I have to put a upside down cross on my door and start telling them off?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever heard stories told by my family members, due to me being just a baby at the time, but my parents were, as were their parents, presumably stretching back at least a generation or two more. Can't say any of that with certainty; all I know for sure is that my parents and grandparents, maternal and paternal, were big on being JWs.

The cracks in the family faith began to form when my grandpa went on a work trip with his son to Japan. My grandpa still runs a family business for drywall repair, and were contracted out at the time for drywall construction in western-style homes around Fukushima. I don't know if it was the culture shock or the sheer lack of indoctrinating influences, but my grandpa, who was an elder in the church, was slowly growing more wary of the bullshit he was being fed. A few months later, after returning to the US, he started getting the rest of my family off the JW train.

Again, I was a baby, so all of this is recounted from what other family members have told me. Everyone was excommunicated, sans myself (again, baby). These days, my family (and extended family) are irreligious, and make an effort to keep in touch with other ex-Witnesses when word gets out that they've left the church. There's an amusingly large circle of friends my grandma has that consists exclusively of people she knew as a Witness, all of whom have long since left.

I'll add an addendum here, in case folks were curious what kind of things my grandpa meditated on during his time overseas led to his epiphany. For one, the way the elders went about dealing with crimes committed within the church. Reporting crimes to the police was a big no-no (threat of excommunication, if memory serves), and one person in the church was accused of pedophilia. What was the response? Why, it was for the other elders to have my grandpa, then a father of three children, house this man in their home. Considering how effectively brainwashed the JWs can make people, it's no surprise it took him so long to realize just how incredibly fucked up that was.

EDIT: Fuck me, this whole thread is making me so grateful that my grandpa was so respected and trusted by the rest of my family that he managed to get all of them out of the church. All this talk of being shunned by family members and abandoned by parents... it's too much. I don't think I could've handled that if things with my grandpa hadn't turned out the way they did. Just about every post here is making me realize how much I owe him.
Do I have to put a upside down cross on my door and start telling them off?
Just be firm. Growing up, my and her brothers were required to go from door to door. They didn't want to do it, didn't like doing it, and had to regardless of that. Chances are pretty good that the JWs knocking on your door, for all the enthusiasm they put on (or don't), aren't all that into it, either. Being a Witness is puritanical and dreary as hell. Once you're in, it's exceptionally hard to get out. That can really weigh on people. You don't have to hear them out, but don't shout them down.

By the way, Witnesses are actually taught to view persecution of their beliefs as validating their cause as just. If someone resists you spreading the word of God, after all, they must be unjust, and in need of saving.
  • You cant have sex before marriage, which I gues is fine...but you also cant masturbate. You also shouldnt be thinking "impure" thoughts.
  • Whenever something bad happens in your life, Its Satans trying to destroy your faith.
  • NO BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, even if you are on your death bed.
  • JW's are discouraged from higher education since the world is gonna end anyway, SO GET TO PREACHING.
  • Anyone who questions the sovereignty or direction of the Governing Body (Top of JW Pyramid) is considered an apostate and is disfellowshipped. JW's are VERY discouraged from critical thinking.
I could honestly go on forever...
There's also the strict dress code. Clean shaven. Men must keep their hair short and combed, women must grow their hair out and wear it long or tied back. The most absolutely boring puritanical outfits for men and women were also required as part of the dress code. Funny thing is, I realized while typing all that that pretty much what I wrote verbatim is demonstrated in that picture you posted. Witnesses have zero fashion sense, but even that had its purpose.

Last edited:

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ha, they are posted on every train station around here with their Watchtower mags. They all dress and look the same, it's creepy. The headlines "Do you know what the Bible actually means?" or "Do you know the world is about to end?" don't help either.

One of my dad's best friends from work was a JW and he always says he was the nicest guy but he had to convert due to the wife or something. Then some relative died due to the blood transfusion thing, he got pissed off and he got divorced and apparently it was a huge mess.

My only direct contact was with door to door preachers. I opened the door once and the guy asked me "Do you know why bad things happen?" I was in the middle of sth so I was pissed and said "Yes, because people are assholes" and I slammed the door. They never came again.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Good on you all for getting out.

I don't think JW is that big in my country. I only remember they came to our door some 15 years ago, they were kinda pushy, and my grandmother literally chased them out of our yard with a broomstick, it was hilarious.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My entire dads side were JW's when I was little, around 6/7 years old my mum left and so did me and my sister. One by one the rest left and it's only my gran that is still involved.

I had my first birthday at 8 years old and it was awesome, so glad my mum left when I was so young.