• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am considering switching from sleeping on a bed to sleeping on a carpeted floor. Did some cursory research online and looks like it may be good for you.

Anybody here do this?

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I once fell asleep on the floor while on vacation, but that was only for about an hour, and it was also only because I just couldn't fall asleep in the bed, and it was 2AM and I was willing to try anything.

Eventually got back in bed and fell asleep that way.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was thinking a comforter and some pillows. On a carpeted floor.

Probably ergonomically not good for you, but give it a try and let us know. (Also make sure to thoroughly clean the carpets, because there are definitely insects/ticks/etc... in them).

Edit: I have slept in a sleeping bag on top of a carpet for about a year. It was fine. Switched over to a bed though.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably ergonomically not good for you, but give it a try and let us know. (Also make sure to thoroughly clean the carpets, because there are definitely insects/ticks/etc... in them).

Edit: I have slept in a sleeping bed on top of a carpet for about a year. It was fine. Switched over to a bed though.

Damn, definitely clean your carpet anyway if you have ticks.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I slept on the floor through high school. I liked it, could really cozy in with a pile of blankets.

Oct 28, 2017
fence-5aba90763037130037475000.jpg

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
You'll actually have a much better sleep with a mattress on a floor than you would on a uh mattress holder or bed i should say

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: I have slept in a sleeping bag on top of a carpet for about a year. It was fine. Switched over to a bed though.

as someone moving into a room soon that's carpeted, thank you for the new phobia.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The only time I ever slept on the floor, was when i first got my dog when she was a pup and she wasnt happy. Too small to be on the bed, so I moved to the floor to keep her company.

Can't imagine choosing to sleep on the floor instead of a bed.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only time I ever slept on the floor, was when i first got my dog when she was a pup and she wasnt happy. Too small to be on the bed, so I moved to the floor to keep her company.

Can't imagine choosing to sleep on the floor instead of a bed.

Futon can be nice. Space saver if you're in a studio apartment. Easily washable too.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
We sleep on a mattress on the floor because one of our little dogs is partially paralyzed. If he 'jumped' off of a regular height bed it could be really bad for his spine, and he has a little ramp so he can get up on the mattress.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I've slept on the floor(on a comforter) for over 20 years starting when I was a teen. I've never found a mattress (soft, firm, putting plywood between the mattress and box spring etc..) where I didn't wake up with back aches and headaches. I switched to a thin storable foam pad a few years ago and it's about the most I can do.

Fuck anyone who thinks it's weird. Quality of life and not being in to much pain to work take priority.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I do sometimes. A futon is plenty comfortable.

Though I can sleep well just about anywhere. Every once in a while I'll fall asleep in my computer chair.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
I've been sleeping on a carpet a few times due to a lack of bed after moving in. Clearly not as conformable as a bed.
Also much colder and full of dust. If you're a but allergic your eyes are gonna be itching.
0/10 would not sleep on a carpet again.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I do this when I'm traveling.

For some reason I just can't seem to sleep properly in a bed when I'm not home.

Just easier to just sprawl out on the floor, and puts me to sleep pretty quickly comparatively.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I did it as a teenager. My brother doesn't like sleeping with his wife so when I moved in for a while he moved out of his room and just slept on the floor next to her. It's not that bad.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, OP. Go for it, pick up a futon and enjoy. Not sure why so many in the thread are so negative on it.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sleeping on a big raised up bed is mostly just a Western European thing exported via colonialism. Plenty of cultures and people sleep on a thin "mattress" on the ground and do great physically.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Try a hammock. One of my cousins uses an indoor hammock that comes with a frame and swears it's good and doesn't fuck up his back.

I have one too but can't say I've fallen asleep in it yet, but it is comfy 😃

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
When I have to sleep I can sleep anywhere and on anything (comfort isn't exactly negotiable when you can't afford to have a mattress that day or aren't in a place with a sofa that night). As long as I can be on my tummy so the rising sunlight doesn't shine in my eyes, everything's manageable

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't do it because sleeping with someone on a floor sounds unpleasant if that's the best option.

Box springs can fuck off, though. I don't know why we even need them. Give me a foam mattress any day of the week and put it on a wooden platform.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, other cultures do it. I remember it not being very comfy the few times I have (mostly from sleep overs at friends houses and one time because my waterbed sprung a leak, lul). I suppose if you had some padding it could be okay. I'm personally afraid of spiders/bugs having easier access to me on the floor, so I wouldn't do it long term, nope.