Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
What's a good build order? I have no clue what I'm doing. Not having fun this way either. Wish I had played some RTS back when they were popular.

First, play on the easiest setting possible just to get familiar with everything.

Generally you want to cover all openings with rangers at first. You start with enough to cover all directions, but use them to scout for hordes and resources.

In general, if you are sitting doing nothing especially early on you're doing something wrong.

Expanding is far more cost efficient than upgrading buildings.

I don't know about others but I'm personally a bigger fan of Mills than Power Plants.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yeah the stone loss hurts really badly

any news of patches on the horizon? I think I'll sit on this until some major UI revisions

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
I disagree with expanding is better than upgrading.

I tried building tents seemingly forever in my last game, but I never eclipsed +1000 gold income until I started upgrading my houses. Not upgrading your houses along with the tears of units and buildings will stifle your economy.

Stone and wood isn't a problem for power plants if you upgrade your best quarries.

Make sure to build warehouses to bank resources. You will not always be able to constantly build. The biggest waste is being at max resources because that income is lost forever.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Expanding isn't just about increased gold income. The problem with upgrading is that they are horribly inefficient due to upkeep. Obviously, upgrading to houses will provide way more gold than a tent, but the resources you'd spend on tech upgrades could have been spent going further into the tech tree, or beefing your base, or building even more buildings.

Code:
Tent
 - Upkeep: 4 Food, 1 Energy
 - Provides: 2 Workers, 8 Gold
 - Cost of each +1 Gold:
   - 0.5 Food
   - 0.125 Energy

Stone House
 - Upkeep: 16 Food, 10 Energy
 - Provides: 8 Workers, 40 Gold
 - Cost of each +1 Gold:
    - 0.4 Food
    - 0.25 Energy

Mill
 - Provides: 30 Energy
 - Supports:
    - 30 Tents = +240 Gold
    - 3 Stone Houses = +120 Gold

Stone House requires 20% less food per gold, but 100% more energy. Banks and Markets help a lot.

But really that's the beauty of the game. Eventually you get a "feel" for when you should do this or that

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Expanding isn't just about increased gold income. The problem with upgrading is that they are horribly inefficient due to upkeep. Obviously, upgrading to houses will provide way more gold than a tent, but the resources you'd spend on tech upgrades could have been spent going further into the tech tree, or beefing your base, or building even more buildings.

Code:
Tent
 - Upkeep: 4 Food, 1 Energy
 - Provides: 2 Workers, 8 Gold
 - Cost of each +1 Gold:
   - 0.5 Food
   - 0.125 Energy

Stone House
 - Upkeep: 16 Food, 10 Energy
 - Provides: 8 Workers, 40 Gold
 - Cost of each +1 Gold:
    - 0.4 Food
    - 0.25 Energy

Mill
 - Provides: 30 Energy
 - Supports:
    - 30 Tents = +240 Gold
    - 3 Stone Houses = +120 Gold

Stone House requires 20% less food per gold, but 100% more energy. Banks and Markets help a lot.

But really that's the beauty of the game. Eventually you get a "feel" for when you should do this or that

I mean, when you're upgrading your houses, you're doing so to support what you're building going up the tech tree. After all, you need the worker supply to build more buildings or train troops; the upkeep of either puts a drain on your gold, which is why you need houses.

So yeah, everything comes at the cost of something else.

But when I see people discuss the game as "expansion is always better," I disagree, because there is a such thing as over-expanding. Every inch of territory needs to be defended, which is one of the very first lessons the game teaches when a wondering slow zombie casually scoots and wrecks a tesla tower, creating an unstoppable chain reaction.

I say it's better to upgrade what you have, planting say, one upgraded mill (or power plant) than creating an entire new bloc that is weekly-defended. Because a zombie rush from that direction, or a weakness in your defense during the finale, will be crushing.

And yes, banks and markets are amazing. On that, we agree.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally did it, had a bunch of walls, then when they broke through retreated to the command. My North east and South East sides were never broken through. The North/NW sides did get broken through but they didn't make it through to the middle.

GyFKU81.png

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they make changes on zombie aggression with recent patch?
On fourth map, if I gather my units start clearing, there's always horde of runners coming from every direction none stop make early game super difficult for me.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Aw yiissss, map 3 100% done.
Such a cool game. Never had a better economy. Terrain obviously helped.
I was able to pump out almost 50 Thanatos, almost a 100 snipers plus the initial 20 something rangers. But even then, if the map did not had such a helpful geography, I don't think I would have held.
They almost broke in on both sides.

Part of me believed that with such an army, splitting them into 4 to deal with each wave on their own would be the best choice, but I am too scared to do that.
Screenshots below.

1. Fortifications for the final wave. As you can see, the terrain helps a lot. Two clear sides.
184BE244F7B034C5632107A73676EC692B5174BA

2. The ones on the north also had to go arooooound the lake and that meant they got to the party after their friends were dead. (which almost killed me a couple of times because it took so long to get from one point to the map to the other).
D2FC0BE038BBCAA19A1B9BD2DCB3EA22DA3C1C0E

3. The green stench of victory.
BFFFF3E77FE0767EFEAC3A1A3DFC0692BCB8D263

4. Yes, everyone, but the soldiers and whoever works at the command center died horrible deaths. But the game said I won, so I guess I won!
9D181E65F41DE6C809907A3C45A850BE22FBA470

Nov 1, 2017
Is this playable on Intel HD 520? It is within the system requirements but the game looks pretty demanding, especially in the endgame, and I'm not sure if my laptop can handle it (XPS 13 with 6th gen i5).

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if that just happens to me or if that's a problem but they really need to get better about informing you when you are attacked. Normally you get the message but I feel like sometimes that doesn't happen. A bunch of zombies just destroyed two layers of wall and got into my base without the game ever telling me about it. This get's really frustrating cause I was doing pretty well

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if that just happens to me or if that's a problem but they really need to get better about informing you when you are attacked. Normally you get the message but I feel like sometimes that doesn't happen. A bunch of zombies just destroyed two layers of wall and got into my base without the game ever telling me about it. This get's really frustrating cause I was doing pretty well

I believe if you dont have units near by or a ballista/stationary defense nearby you dont get informed?

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still only trying score factor 22% trying to beat the first map, I really thought I had it the other night, had 3 titans, a thanatos, two executors and a shock tower, but the one side that broke during the final wave got hit by two hordes at awkard angles so I couldn't focus the splash damage enough, damn!

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Probably the best game I have played this month. Keep coming back for more.
I have been watching AznElite123 guy, and man, he is good. Watching him, I've completed all 4 maps, and went from a noob 60% clear to 100% to 300% range on my ability to clear these maps.

I've finished brutal on Map 1.
Trying to do on Map 2 right now...and I am so screwed by the RNG. Only one saw mill running.
There are no trees for MILES unless I pushed into south with special infected...oh did I mention I am surrounded on the South/West/North with VOD?
I have to push East and then go South for trees. Sniper team is slowly advancing there but I am crying from +10 wood per tick lol.
Honestly, I should have rerolled instead of playing this seeded map...but oh well.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
The last wave is brutal. I need to put my best defences further inwards or i'll be too spread out.

I refuse to go lower than 75%

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
anyone finding shock towers useful or are they just too prohibitive energy-wise? the AOE seems really great but I need to figure out good places to actually put them

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
What's a good build order? I have no clue what I'm doing. Not having fun this way either. Wish I had played some RTS back when they were popular.

Just watch AznElite123 videos.
There are no build orders since everything depends on the RNG nearby resources, geography, and the loots from scouting.
However, he shows you the basic of the game to play minimum at 100%+.

Get the basic housing and food to support 2x mills and granary for 20 stones to rush Command Center to get at least 20+ archers up and running (8 archers on back up to patrol N/S/W/E or how many holes there are).
Get Wood Research to get Ballista tech to help push out. Only get snipers when you economy is 700+1k gold.
Buil saw mill, saw mill, saw mill. Always maintain a 30-40 tick, hell, even 100+ near end game to spam housing while you slowly upgrading to stone houses.

Don't build BIG wall, just build small parameter with extra archers patrolling and ballista to keep it safe.
This is the biggest reason why people fail imo. Wasting golds on closing off their town while they should put the resource in a mobile army.
You should only double wall depending on when a wave is about to hit or you have inflow of resources and you need to burn it fast.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Shock towers are insanely useful for the final hordes, the amount of splash damage they do is insane, they basically insta gib a 8x8 area of the basic zombies in the horde waves

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just started playing this and damn, it's so hard! I can't even beat the first map on the easiest settings lol.

Don't really know what to do as there doesn't seem to be a tutorial or something like that, but I am enjoying it so far.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Just started playing this and damn, it's so hard! I can't even beat the first map on the easiest settings lol.

Don't really know what to do as there doesn't seem to be a tutorial or something like that, but I am enjoying it so far.

Watch this video.

I couldn't beat the game at 60% for 2 days, then I watched couple of his videos and now I can do brutal on map 1 and 100%+ on all 4 maps.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
do you guys even bother with "regular" units like the rangers/soldiers aside from map clearing? are they worth the resources in the late game to help with the last wave?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i just want even more options, like zombie lures or exploding buildings or blade fields or some shit

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Much more like rts. But you can pause at anytime. But it is a rts on how it plays. Tower defense is more a flavor than anything.

Good to know. I'm not very good at RTS, especially the ones that require a lot of micromanaging using hotkeys and whatnot. The irony is that I love games like this. Does this take a lot of requirements to play this on a laptop because I'm interested.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know. I'm not very good at RTS, especially the ones that require a lot of micromanaging using hotkeys and whatnot. The irony is that I love games like this. Does this take a lot of requirements to play this on a laptop because I'm interested.

it's cpu heavyish? You might have to lower down the settings because there are aloootttttta zombies on screen and it can cause slow down.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lttp; well not really. I noticed this game on Steam the other day, and added it to my ever growing wish list. Sounds like a great concept!

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on Thanatos units?
Worth building or not?

Thanatos are perfect. I usually tap out all my oil just to make more of them. A good wall of Thanatos will hold anything back.
They're just slow as hell and kind of bad at being proactive and expanding and clearing villages of doom, but as someone you put on hold on a wall waiting for a swarm? Perfect. Just perfect.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
yeah until they breach the wall. They are waaay to slow to escape anything of consequency, so you best wall them up good and proper

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I jumped in today, grabbed it for £15 from Humble which I felt was OK. So far my best effort is 91 days on 22%, most of my wipes are from 1-2 zombies getting through unnoticed while I'm busy doing something off screen. I'm enjoying it so far, although I do find building placement a little fiddly, it makes making "pretty" bases quite hard IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm approaching the last wave for the first time:
Is there any reason not to destroy all my buildings that don't provide power or defense?
What happens, for example if I raise all my houses right before the attack? Wouldn't that make things easier cause they then don't spawn any zombies? I'm trying to figure out how to structure my defenses around that so I don't run into a "Well, they took over the food area so everything is over now" scenario.
Also, is the last wave attacking from all sides or just where the previous waves came from. I have relatively weak defended opening but they never attacked there before.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Zombies will come from all sides regardless of the previous waves. Also, every zombie on the map will join them.

Do not destroy any tech buildings, otherwise you lose access to the upgrades.

No idea about housing, but there might be issues with regards to not having workers powering your other buildings.

Probably best to just not destroy anything.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you destroy everything too quickyly, youll probably run out of resources for your troops. Thanatos/titans for example require oil. All troops require gold. If you go negative on gold, troops start abandoning you.