Red

Oct 26, 2017
I think we're far beyond "the GOP is embracing fascism." The GOP embraced fascism in 2016. They are a fascist organization. Let's not keep pretending they are on the way toward the thing. They crossed the threshold long ago.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between being "too calm" and not being whipped into a frenzy of doom every time these chucklefucks follow the next obvious step of "How 2 Fascist 101" and do it in the most incompetent blundery way possible.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020

Someone tone police the Lt. Gov of PA too plz

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
As the posters above me said, this is a fight for your mind. This is why I think you can be both concerned and amused. The bully only has power when you give it to him. We, as a country, need to tell him to shut up and no one cares. We've moved on. Celebration, joy, laughing at his clowns, are all a part of not giving him power. It doesn't mean you don't take it seriously.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
As the posters above me said, this is a fight for your mind. This is why I think you can be both concerned and amused. The bully only has power when you give it to him. We, as a country, need to tell him to shut up and no one cares. We've moved on. Celebration, joy, laughing at his clowns, are all a part of not giving him power. It doesn't mean you don't take it seriously.
The bully has institutional power over me by controlling the executive and judicial branches of the government along with the cops and army, all of which he can use however he wants with no consequences.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017

Someone tone police the Lt. Gov of PA too plz

Fetterman is someone who would recognize fascism, yes. But he is a government representative, and the best strategy anyone with power can take right now is to not allow it any sort of legitimacy. It's a response to the threat, it doesn't mean the threat doesn't exist.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
The bully has institutional power over me by controlling the executive and judicial branches of the government along with the cops and army, all of which he can use however he wants with no consequences.
This is not true. If the power of the executive were unlimited, Trump would have already used it.

Again, these people are far less competent than you give them credit for.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I will say this...Republicans are pretty good at pushing a narrative...even if it's false. Look at Trump and after all he's done...he still got over 70 million people to vote for him. People also were not a huge fan of Hilary...why? Because of years of piling false narratives on her...it's what allowed Trump to win in the first place. The thing is Republicans are sort of "forced" to either agree with Trump or not speak against it. There are runoff races in Georgia coming up that will determine who controls the Senate. We also have midterms in less than 2 years and Republicans have many seats up for grabs. Trump meanwhile is basically the "leader" of the Republican party right now with 93 percent of their party approving of him. If they lash out against him then they risk fracturing a huge portion of their voters. How effective will this disinformation campaign be? For Trump's base, very effective. For Republicans, pretty effective (considering the high approval of Trump). For independents? Right now not very effective but if this gains any traction you'll be hearing about a "stolen" election for the next 4 years.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Fetterman is someone who would recognize fascism, yes. But he is a government representative, and the best strategy anyone with power can take right now is to not allow it any sort of legitimacy. It's a response to the threat, it doesn't mean the threat doesn't exist.
And I never said the threat doesn't exist. I said that the average person treating Biden as the future president, celebrating, and treating these moves as stupid and brainless is also part of delegitimization. You can do that and still take it seriously.

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
I will say this...Republicans are pretty good at pushing a narrative...even if it's false. Look at Trump and after all he's done...he still got over 70 million people to vote for him. People also were not a huge fan of Hilary...why? Because of years of piling false narratives on her...it's what allowed Trump to win in the first place. The thing is Republicans are sort of "forced" to either agree with Trump or not speak against it. There are runoff races in Georgia coming up that will determine who controls the Senate. We also have midterms in less than 2 years and Republicans have many seats up for grabs. Trump meanwhile is basically the "leader" of the Republican party right now with 93 percent of their party approving of him. If they lash out against him then they risk fracturing a huge portion of their voters. How effective will this disinformation campaign be? For Trump's base, very effective. For Republicans, pretty effective (considering the high approval of Trump). For independents? Right now not very effective but if this gains any traction you'll be hearing about a "stolen" election for the next 4 years.

Imagine if he actually did something positive. He could have actually done something worthwhile instead of destroying everything he touched.

Oct 27, 2017
They can run out the clock and have Congress decide, at which point Trump's chances of being selected to be president greatly increase.
No they cannot. This can only happen if a majority has not been established. It will have been established but challenged at that point. In order for a majority to have been overturned, the litigation must have been actually won by those bringing the claims. If not, the majority stands as established by the vote counting process.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
And I never said the threat doesn't exist. I said that the average person treating Biden as the future president, celebrating, and treating these moves as stupid and brainless is also part of delegitimization. You can do that and still take it seriously.

What did you mean about tone policing? And I'm sorry, I replied without seeing your next post.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
When are we supposed to start worrying? What's the next line that needs to be crossed first?
If one or these cases or investigation gets taken seriously which still hasn't happened. Trump is 0-11 in court cases in the past week and some of those are because they couldn't even file the suit paperwork properly. They've been getting laughed at by judges and Barr has authorized the DOJ to do something they were going to do anyway after the counting. People are panicking about hypotheticals and should slow done until something substantial actually occurs. Like the election guy in the DoJ resigning is something but we don't know enough details about it to go either way so we should wait for more concrete details.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
He worded his statement very carefully:

"...may be conducted if there are clear and apparently-credible allegations of irregularities that, if true, could potentially impact the outcome of a federal election in an individual State."

Investigators have to prove fraud. They have to show evidence. And they have to show enough of the fraudulent votes would overturn the current results.

There is no evidence. Only heavily biased, one-sided accusations, which will never be taken seriously by a legit judge.
Best of both worlds. Don't have to actually investigate something that will obviously yield fruitless results, but you get to put out a statement that you know undermines the election to your base.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if all they find is evidence of the attempts of Trump supporters trying their harebrained schemes of fraud that they accuse the Dems of doing, ultimately further proving that the Republicans are the party of projection and our election system is secure enough to have prevented that stupidity.

So far it feels like most of Trump's attempts have either fell flat in court or backfired on them embarrassingly.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
So they're attempting a coup? If so what are the ramifications of this? Does the US Military have right to prevent the attempt in the event the GOP declares themselves the everlasting rulers of the country or some shit?

IzzyRX