• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to headcanon that the new piece of art is just what actually happened after Wright got his badge back between AA4 and AA5

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Does Dual Destinies get better? I remember burning out on it back in the 3DS days when I didn't have as much appreciation for AA as a whole as I do now

The first two cases are such a slog and everything seems so much less charming despite the presentation being given a boost
Most people seem to agree the first two cases aren't the best part of the game, I enjoyed them personally, but they aren't for everyone. the DLC case is very well loved and the last two cases also have people enjoying it, the third case seems to kind of depend, I love school settings and eat that shit up so for some people it's a real good case, for others they do not care for the school centered melodrama.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Does Dual Destinies get better? I remember burning out on it back in the 3DS days when I didn't have as much appreciation for AA as a whole as I do now

The first two cases are such a slog and everything seems so much less charming despite the presentation being given a boost
I'm circling back to game 5 in April but consensus when the collection launched seemed to be that it picks up after case 2, especially if you play the DLC. That said my impression is that people rank it lower than 4 and 6 overall

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

If you hadn't started the next case yet, play the DLC case before the 3rd one.

It's also (imo) the best case in the game so hopefully you'll like it.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Here's Fuse's comment on the art, by the by:
After being asked to create this illustration, I found myself eagerly awaiting the outcome of everyone's votes to see who I would end up drawing. The result is what you see here! This illustration depicts the community's top three character choices gathered in the Wright Anything Agency for a commemorative photo. I truly enjoyed being able to draw this piece because of the opportunity it presented to depict these three characters side by side. Since the group is seated on a sofa, I decided to draw Miles Edgeworth in his vest. This aesthetic has not been shown since the opening of Ace Attorney Investigations 2, and I was admittedly a bit moved by it. Thank you to all of the Ace Attorney fans for voting in this poll.
Always nice to see Investigations 2 get mentioned.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I find AA5 a bit average all round, but I just got to THAT reveal in case 5 and it gave me goosebumps, even though I already knew it. Such an effective twist.

Edit: two months later and that's one out of the three games done. God I really took my time, the PSN clock says 62 hours in-game.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Dang, Japan must like DD with Fulbright and Blackquil being so high

Them favoring regular Phoenix to his Hobo counterpart is based

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
FULBRIGHT GOT IT!? 😮

BUT WHAT ABOUT MY FAVOURITE CHARACTER 😡

THIS IS UNFAIR 😭

BUT THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT TIME 😃

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
RE: Fulbright

They could always bring the real Fulbright back, since we don't know for sure what happened to him.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Finally back from my trip to Argentina and just finished Super Mario RPG, so I'm ready to tackle AA6, finally. Looking forward to this one a lot.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Aannnd that's a wrap! Just finished my first playthrough of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney and what a ride! Really liked it overall, it had a lot of bold choices that paid off well for the most part.

I didn't read much of the posts in the thread since I was scared of being accidentally spoiled, but Im curious about the general reception of the game now cuz I vaguely remember at the time it originally came out that it seemed a bit polarizing from the outside looking in. I wasn't purposefully following the scene at the time so I could be way off base

But anyway I liked it. I think the only thing that was kinda disappointing was Kristoph and to a lesser extent Klavier as well. Idk in the previous games there was a more palpable tension and relationship with the prosecuters which we didnt really have this time round imo.

I really liked the setup for Kristoph and how it all tied in the finale, that first case was mad cool, I just wish there was more time spent learning about the character throughout the game for the climatic moment in the last case to have more weight I guess. Apollo never really referenced Kristoph or his time working with him the same way that Phoenix (or even Maya!) would do throughout the first trilogy for Mia. Even tho Mia wasn't around much like Kristoph, I still had a good idea of who she was and what she meant to the characters that mattered in the series. Her presence was still very much felt. I didn't get much of this with Kristoph - I had a vague idea of his relationships with Apollo, Klavier and Wright but forgot about his existence at some point, so I think as a result he kinda just came off as a lame villain to me.

Klavier too kinda ended up being whatever. He's pretty af to look at tho lol

Speaking of pretty, maaaan those sprites were so cleeeeeeean AA4 is the best the series has ever looked!! Already bummed this will be the last I'll see of it since it'll be 3D from here on out. GAA was the first 3D AA game I played and even tho I warmed up to the 3D sprites my opinion on them was mixed, so idk how this will go for AA5

Last edited:

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Aannnd that's a wrap! Just finished my first playthrough of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney and what a ride! Really liked it overall, it had a lot of bold choices that paid off well for the most part.

I didn't read much of the posts in the thread since I was scared of being accidentally spoiled, but Im curious about the general reception of the game now cuz I vaguely remember at the time it originally came out that it seemed a bit polarizing from the outside looking in. I wasn't purposefully following the scene at the time so I could be way off base

But anyway I liked it. I think the only thing that was kinda disappointing was Kristoph and to a lesser extent Klavier as well. Idk in the previous games there was a more palpable tension and relationship with the prosecuters which we didnt really have this time round imo.

I really liked the setup for Kristoph and how it all tied in the finale, that first case was mad cool, I just wish there was more time spent learning about the character throughout the game for the climatic moment in the last case to have more weight I guess. Apollo never really referenced Kristoph or his time working with him the same way that Phoenix (or even Maya!) would do throughout the first trilogy for Mia. Even tho Mia wasn't around much like Kristoph, I still had a good idea of who she was and what she meant to the characters that mattered in the series. Her presence was still very much felt. I didn't get much of this with Kristoph - I had a vague idea of his relationships with Apollo, Klavier and Wright but forgot about his existence at some point, so I think as a result he kinda just came off as a lame villain to me.

Klavier too kinda ended up being whatever. He's pretty af to look at tho lol

Speaking of pretty, maaaan those sprites were so cleeeeeeean AA4 is the best the series has ever looked!! Already bummed this will be the last I'll see of it since it'll be 3D from here on out. GAA was the first 3D AA game I played and even tho I warmed up to the 3D sprites my opinion on them was mixed, so idk how this will go for AA5
General reception for AJ is still... kind of mixed. For me I do like it, but I probably put it close to the bottom of my list, there's just a lot of sloppily executed parts in the writing for my taste, you can kind of tell some bits needed a few more drafts (particularly the third case). I've also never been much of a fan of the character direction for Phoenix, I appreciate the swing, but I never liked it, maybe if the execution had been better I'd have been more onboard.

Anyway for DD, it is probably the roughest looking of the AA games for 3D (aside from the Layton crossover), the character designs feel kind of bulky, but they still do a lot of cool animations, and then it's heavily improved in Spirit of Justice.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I really do appreciate how the series moved into 5 cases per game. Apollo Justice feels like it's just getting started and then you're in the final case.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Apollo Justice. Forgot a lot of the last two cases but I think I hated Brushel when I played it way back when and he didn't piss me off as much this time.

I'm still so surprised, like so many others, that the dangling plot thread from the end of the game has not been followed up on. It's almost been 20 years with no resolution there.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Just finished Case 5 from Spirit of Justice.
I need AA7 soon!
Now to the special episode to properly finish this trilogy. Case 5 was absolutely nuts, but totally worth it in the end.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Starting 6-4. I stand by my opinion that Klavier should have been the prosecutor. I despise the back and forth Sahdmadhi does on such short notice.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
To be slightly fair, in 6-2 Nahyuta just happened to be there because he's a famous prosecutor who travels the world solving difficult crimes. 6-4 is basically the only time he's called in on short notice.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
To be slightly fair, in 6-2 Nahyuta just happened to be there because he's a famous prosecutor who travels the world solving difficult crimes. 6-4 is basically the only time he's called in on short notice.
6-2 made sense and was fine. It was a little bit after 6-1 and a couple of weeks before 6-3, and it allowed Sahdmadhi to gain a respect for forensic work that allowed Ema to appear in 6-3.

6-4, as a standalone case that has no bearing on the overarching story of the game, doesn't make sense to me. It gives me the (false) impression Klavier was fired since Sahdmadhi is being called in constantly, and I know this is better in hindsight since they made it a trilogy after the face, but it would have been great to have 6-4 be for fans of AA4 as well instead of just AA5.

It's just a gripe I've had since 2016 with the case. It's a fantastic trial despite my grievances with the prosecution.

Awkward Zombie - Frequent Flier

Gags and goofs about videogames and the things that happen in them.

:)
There's an awkward zombie comic for everything...

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Nahyuta prosecuting all the cases is a side effect of the series being trapped by its own history. The main prosecutor always handled the middle cases in previous games, therefore, Nahyuta must handle them in this game too.

They probably thought their options were limited too for who could face Athena. Blackquill is her rival but beating him on her own is a part of her story for the Athena Cykes game we're never going to get. Meanwhile Payne is Payne and Edgeworth only prosecutes when he's having legal foreplay with Phoenix. So that only leaves Klavier (who was limited to only Asinine Attorney) and Nahyuta. The fact that Klavier was in the game at all makes me think that they considered using him but backed out in fear of overwhelming the hypothetical players who decided to make Spirit of Justice their first Ace Attorney game.

Like, even back in the original AA6 interviews, the developers gushed about characters they wish would return like Gumshoe, Franziska, Klavier, etc. So they clearly would've loved to make him the Case 4 opponent too. But there's clearly a self imposed limit to how many characters are included and how many older characters are brought back in each title.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Like, even back in the original AA6 interviews, the developers gushed about characters they wish would return like Gumshoe, Franziska, Klavier, etc. So they clearly would've loved to make him the Case 4 opponent too. But there's clearly a self imposed limit to how many characters are included and how many older characters are brought back in each title.
Hmm... not sure I really agree there's a limit per se, outside of general budget concerns of models, Klavier already had one from DD, and they even used him in the SOJ Asinine Attorney DLC (as well as a brief appearance in the last case in a flashback), so it wouldn't have been a particular strain on the dev team to spiffy up his model a bit more, as they did with Blackquill. As well the team would absolutely love to advertise Klavier being in the game, as they give Blackquill prominence in the main game's art even though he only shows up in one case (as they did with Klavier in DD). I think it's just, from a story perspective, it makes more sense to keep the main prosecutor consistent, as it lets the player continue building a rapport with them and keep building their characterization. It just feels bad with Nahyuta because... he's a very static character and just uninteresting in his assholery, so it feels like you're not learning much about him outside of some minor lines

On a side note, I can't find an interview where they say they wish Klavier would return. Is see this article here where they mention Klavier in a hypothetical "Oh man, I'd love to see him face off against Sebastian Debeste!", but that happens in the middle of them mentioning some characters they'd love to see again (Eshiro wanting Franziska (Mei), Yamazaki wanting Sebastian (Yumihiko), Daigo wanting Gumshoe (Itonoko) and Fuse wanting Fulbright (Ban Gozo))

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's just, from a story perspective, it makes more sense to keep the main prosecutor consistent, as it lets the player continue building a rapport with them and keep building their characterization.
Yeah, it's really that simple. Each game's new prosecutor is a central part of its identity and they want to use them as much as they can. If Nahyuta is removed from 6-4, there are only two cases in the game where he's the lead prosecutor.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's really that simple. Each game's new prosecutor is a central part of its identity and they want to use them as much as they can. If Nahyuta is removed from 6-4, there are only two cases in the game where he's the lead prosecutor.

To be super fair…

If you went back to AA1 without Rise From the Ashes, Edgeworth is only prosecutor on 2 cases before he's thrown into the defendant seat.

Obviously totally different now because Edgeworth has been back in multiple games, multiple cases, and has had so much characterization since, but if you took AA1 at original face value, Edgeworth shows up, says he's going to destroy you, prosecutes you, tells you to fuck off when you beat him twice, and then Phoenix is like "he was my childhood friend tho, I'll defend him with my life" lol.

And then actually

Fran is also only really on two cases as well. But maybe that's why she's so disrespected by the writers and hasn't been in anything since AAI2 😭

Bring back Franziska von Karma!

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
And then actually

Fran is also only really on two cases as well. But maybe that's why she's so disrespected by the writers and hasn't been in anything since AAI2 😭

Specifically for JFA there was actually supposed to be five cases in that game. Recipe for Turnabout was cut due to Game Boy limitations and subsequently reused in T&T.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
To be super fair…

If you went back to AA1 without Rise From the Ashes, Edgeworth is only prosecutor on 2 cases before he's thrown into the defendant seat.

Obviously totally different now because Edgeworth has been back in multiple games, multiple cases, and has had so much characterization since, but if you took AA1 at original face value, Edgeworth shows up, says he's going to destroy you, prosecutes you, tells you to fuck off when you beat him twice, and then Phoenix is like "he was my childhood friend tho, I'll defend him with my life" lol.

And then actually

I know, but the games have evolved since then, using the new prosecutors to embody and market each new instalment. And Edgeworth is the defendant in and heart of AA1-4, so it's not like he's missing. In contrast, 6-5 is a goliath of a case and Nahyuta is just one of its many players; if anyone, Dhurke is the most central character.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I know, but the games have evolved since then, using the new prosecutors to embody and market each new instalment. And Edgeworth is the defendant in and heart of AA1-4, so it's not like he's missing. In contrast, 6-5 is a goliath of a case and Nahyuta is just one of its many players; if anyone, Dhurke is the most central character.

Oh I know, I'm just being pedantic. :D

I also always enjoy mentioning how hostile Edgeworth is before getting accused of murder lol. Poor Edgeworth.

"I destroy all defence attorneys, get bent Wright."

A couple days later: "oh man oh jeez no one will take my case"

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... not sure I really agree there's a limit per se, outside of general budget concerns of models, Klavier already had one from DD, and they even used him in the SOJ Asinine Attorney DLC (as well as a brief appearance in the last case in a flashback), so it wouldn't have been a particular strain on the dev team to spiffy up his model a bit more, as they did with Blackquill. As well the team would absolutely love to advertise Klavier being in the game, as they give Blackquill prominence in the main game's art even though he only shows up in one case (as they did with Klavier in DD). I think it's just, from a story perspective, it makes more sense to keep the main prosecutor consistent, as it lets the player continue building a rapport with them and keep building their characterization. It just feels bad with Nahyuta because... he's a very static character and just uninteresting in his assholery, so it feels like you're not learning much about him outside of some minor lines

On a side note, I can't find an interview where they say they wish Klavier would return. Is see this article here where they mention Klavier in a hypothetical "Oh man, I'd love to see him face off against Sebastian Debeste!", but that happens in the middle of them mentioning some characters they'd love to see again (Eshiro wanting Franziska (Mei), Yamazaki wanting Sebastian (Yumihiko), Daigo wanting Gumshoe (Itonoko) and Fuse wanting Fulbright (Ban Gozo))
I'm gonna be honest, it's been 8 years so the chances of me misremembering that very interview are fairly high.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Oh I know, I'm just being pedantic. :D

I also always enjoy mentioning how hostile Edgeworth is before getting accused of murder lol. Poor Edgeworth.

"I destroy all defence attorneys, get bent Wright."

A couple days later: "oh man oh jeez no one will take my case"
Oh no the turnaround is definitely funny. I've always loved the simplicity of Phoenix's motivation, though. No one else even really remembers what he's going on about when he brings up the class trial but that simple act of kindness changed his entire life. It honestly adds to the contrast between him and Edgeworth, whose life path and views are so much more complicated.

The shift in Edgeworth's character also justifies all future acts of bullying. Balance. You'll baby sit Trucy or we'll talk about the time you called Mia a bimbo.

Feb 9, 2024
Agaisnt my better judgement, i bought this on Switch a couple of hours before the EU sale expired.

To this day, i'm still to finish AA6, but i'll take playing this version over the originals every day. The remasters seem to be on point. I'll miss the 3D effect, though.

And i say agaisnt my better judgment because Capcom doesn't seem to be willing to translate any Ace Attorney game to spanish despite the first 4 having official translations and localizations. Honestly, the reveal trailer was insulting, boasting the sheer amount of translations and leaving Spanish out.

Oh well, it was a deep sale (17 €) and i have no issues with playing in english, so i guess i'm part of this thread now.

Last edited:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I'm surprised they added ability to select not only which case to play but also which part.
And the story mode that auto plays is a cool addition in case I stuck at some point.
Apollo is my second favourite AA, will be nice to play it again after more than 10 years. Haven't played the other two.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no the turnaround is definitely funny. I've always loved the simplicity of Phoenix's motivation, though. No one else even really remembers what he's going on about when he brings up the class trial but that simple act of kindness changed his entire life. It honestly adds to the contrast between him and Edgeworth, whose life path and views are so much more complicated.

The shift in Edgeworth's character also justifies all future acts of bullying. Balance. You'll baby sit Trucy or we'll talk about the time you called Mia a bimbo.

Agreed. Phoenix is just a good dude, and I love that about him. And then making him an impromptu dad just went further with that haha. He and Trucy are adorable, and it's nice to see the parallels between them (act of kindness to change the trajectory of Trucy's life, etc).

And lol, yeah. Never stop bullying Edgeworth, Phoenix. I'm pretty sure they're (at the very least) heterosexual life partners by 5/6 lol. Actual life partners, we'll never get that in game :(

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I finished my replay of 6-4 yesterday and, to me, it didn't shed any insight into Nahyuta, what he's about, lessons for him to learn. It just repeated the same schtick from the previous two cases. But it's whatever, just my gripe with the timelines and Nahyuta being deliberately one note for a lot of the game. I need to get over it since it's been 8 years since the game came out and it is what it is.

Anyways, like I said, I hadn't played SoJ since it came out in 2016 so I had completely omitted Kurain Village as a location in 6-5 from my mind. I was so happy to see that dusty old bus stop and thatched roof. And I had forgotten that the good ol' Doc had gotten his hands on treasures from Fey Manor. It was good seeing the urn again.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I finished my replay of 6-4 yesterday and, to me, it didn't shed any insight into Nahyuta, what he's about, lessons for him to learn. It just repeated the same schtick from the previous two cases. But it's whatever, just my gripe with the timelines and Nahyuta being deliberately one note for a lot of the game. I need to get over it since it's been 8 years since the game came out and it is what it is.

Anyways, like I said, I hadn't played SoJ since it came out in 2016 so I had completely omitted Kurain Village as a location in 6-5 from my mind. I was so happy to see that dusty old bus stop and thatched roof. And I had forgotten that the good ol' Doc had gotten his hands on treasures from Fey Manor. It was good seeing the urn again.
I didn't say it was necessary to his character development. I said they wanted to use the new prosecutor they're advertising the game with as much as possible, and that if they removed him from 6-4 he goes missing for, what, seven hours? before returning in a reduced role. But yes, he's fairly one note, and their efforts to flesh him out a bit in Storyteller (by showing a more comedic side to his character) don't accomplish much.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say it was necessary to his character development. I said they wanted to use the new prosecutor they're advertising the game with as much as possible, and that if they removed him from 6-4 he goes missing for, what, seven hours? before returning in a reduced role. But yes, he's fairly one note, and their efforts to flesh him out a bit in Storyteller (by showing a more comedic side to his character) don't accomplish much.
Sorry, I only said the character development part because, having just finished the case after starting this discussion, it solidified to me that it just leaned into them using Nahyuta just for the sake of using him, which I bounced off the back of your line about how he'd then just prosecute two cases in a 5 / 6 case game.

I wasn't trying to rebuff your claim or anything, I was trying to make a response about how the case didn't service Nahyuta properly in favour of thrusting their prosecutor into the spotlight just for the sake of it. I get that they were trying to give us more time with him, because like you said we'd have only had two cases with him, but they didn't make him feel sympathetic or someone I particularly cared for, like they did with Klavier, Godot, or Franziska. In an otherwise strong game, his inclusion to me just feels like a mistake and I feel like the less is more approach with him might have sat a bit easier with me.

Sorry again for any confusion.

mats effect

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how these play on steam deck? I am about to finish up the first trilogy on switch but thinking of getting this one on my new steam deck.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, I only said the character development part because, having just finished the case after starting this discussion, it solidified to me that it just leaned into them using Nahyuta just for the sake of using him, which I bounced off the back of your line about how he'd then just prosecute two cases in a 5 / 6 case game.

I wasn't trying to rebuff your claim or anything, I was trying to make a response about how the case didn't service Nahyuta properly in favour of thrusting their prosecutor into the spotlight just for the sake of it. I get that they were trying to give us more time with him, because like you said we'd have only had two cases with him, but they didn't make him feel sympathetic or someone I particularly cared for, like they did with Klavier, Godot, or Franziska. In an otherwise strong game, his inclusion to me just feels like a mistake and I feel like the less is more approach with him might have sat a bit easier with me.

Sorry again for any confusion.
Ah sorry yeah, I follow now. No worries!

And honestly I find him obnoxious and tiresome. His dialogue style is really repetitive and lacks the wit or humour of characters like Barok or Blackquill. I think it's deliberate, that a guy who is basically preaching about hell and the virtues of torture has such torturous dialogue, but yeah. I remember feeling he was solving too much of the case that Phoenix should've deduced instead in 6-3, too.

Nov 15, 2017
Nahyuta in 6-4 is kind of odd, though it seems like they were pretty intent on having the prosecutor in that case being an asshole. If him being there means they don't have to make Klavier be the one straight up bullying Athena I'm okay with that lol

Oct 27, 2017
Im watching Christopher Nolan's the prestige and the feud and conflict between the MCs reminds me so much of the Gramaryes

Coincidentally watching that movie right after "...And justice for all" whose themes also are very much AA like is funny lol