• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 397 63.7%
  • iPad

Votes: 451 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 540 86.7%
  • Watch

Votes: 372 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 410 65.8%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 312 50.1%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
unfortunately, outside of phone chargers, USB-C might as well be a proprietary mac port. there's a couple of windows machines with one port or so but practically no one else is bothering to go all-in like apple so there's still extremely few USB devices including USB-C cables in the box (and they usually charge a Mac Tax if they do).

Going all in on USB-C on PC or Mac is really stupid right now, the accessories market is still is in its infancy. One or two ports is all you need right now. A regular USB or even an SD card slot have more legacy utility than a bay filled with USB-C.

That's one area where PC makers made the right choice and Apple jumped too soon going all in on their laptops.

Those things matter a lot less with phones and smart devices that usually have one port at the best of times. All you need is charging, really. I'd just like to be able to charge my phone and Switch and whatever other nonsense I've spent too much money on with the same cable if I'm stuck. It shouldn't be too much to ask.

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
unfortunately, outside of phone chargers, USB-C might as well be a proprietary mac port. there's a couple of windows machines with one port or so but practically no one else is bothering to go all-in like apple so there's still extremely few USB devices including USB-C cables in the box (and they usually charge a Mac Tax if they do).
The smaller professional machines like Dell XPS 13 and HP Spectre 13 both are USB-C only with 3 each.

I personally use it for charging my 2016 XPS (which only had 1 C port back then) and for Display Port.

Any accessories I buy now I look for USB C only like the last couple of external drives.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking of buying a magic keyboard and mouse for my Macbook for whenever I have it connected to an external display. Do these work with an iPad, too? I assume the keyboard does at least, but does the mouse?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
iOS has no mouse cursor.
Man I wish it did.

My brother broke two S9 phones. On both the touch sensors were gone and worse yet one screen was completely unusable.

Was able to navigate the phones with a mouse (and even a display (USB C to hdmi) plugged in to recover a few items for him before resetting and sending for RMA.

Had no idea this was even possible till I tried it.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
USBC and TB3 are the future. Nobody wants a slower and bigger and less useful port.
I think, though, that USB-C/TB3 will only take off when there's a critical mass of peripherals that *only* support it (stuff like eGPUs is a good start but obviously attracts only a niche audience). Storage for most consumer purposes is absolutely "fast enough" (as far as those consumers are concerned) on USB 3, even USB 2.

USB-C/TB is absolutely technically superior in all ways to the classic nonreversible USB ports; it is not useful enough *in practice*, though, until it's the standard (or well on its way to getting there).

I know people were mad about the MB/MBP's USB-C thing, but what's honestly perplexed me is that it was a *less* aggressive push than Apple usually goes for. The transition from the 30-pin adapter to Lightning and the transition from ADB/SCSI/etc to USB 1.0 were much more "adapt or die - this is how all of our devices work now."

Put in other words: I'm not mad that Apple made USB-C the only port on the MB/MBP, I'm mad that they didn't do the same thing on the iMac/Mac mini/Mac Pro/MacBook Air, let alone the iPhone and iPad and the assorted iPods. If Apple had forced the standard across much more of their ecosystem, there would have been *more* grumbling and yet the transition would have happened pretty damn quickly and the USB-C ecosystem would be far more robust today.

Lightning's slightly smaller size is one decent reason to stick with it on some of the devices, but I think MFi-certified USB-C would make a lot more sense in the long run. There's absolutely no excuse for the default power supply that comes with iPhones to be the ancient marshmallow adaptor plus a USB 3-to-Lightning cable in 2018; that sort of thing is deeply symptomatic of bean counters running the company instead of people who can make tougher decisions.

Oct 25, 2017
I think, though, that USB-C/TB3 will only take off when there's a critical mass of peripherals that *only* support it (stuff like eGPUs is a good start but obviously attracts only a niche audience). Storage for most consumer purposes is absolutely "fast enough" (as far as those consumers are concerned) on USB 3, even USB 2.

USB-C/TB is absolutely technically superior in all ways to the classic nonreversible USB ports; it is not useful enough *in practice*, though, until it's the standard (or well on its way to getting there).

I know people were mad about the MB/MBP's USB-C thing, but what's honestly perplexed me is that it was a *less* aggressive push than Apple usually goes for. The transition from the 30-pin adapter to Lightning and the transition from ADB/SCSI/etc to USB 1.0 were much more "adapt or die - this is how all of our devices work now."

Put in other words: I'm not mad that Apple made USB-C the only port on the MB/MBP, I'm mad that they didn't do the same thing on the iMac/Mac mini/Mac Pro/MacBook Air, let alone the iPhone and iPad and the assorted iPods. If Apple had forced the standard across much more of their ecosystem, there would have been *more* grumbling and yet the transition would have happened pretty damn quickly and the USB-C ecosystem would be far more robust today.

Lightning's slightly smaller size is one decent reason to stick with it on some of the devices, but I think MFi-certified USB-C would make a lot more sense in the long run. There's absolutely no excuse for the default power supply that comes with iPhones to be the ancient marshmallow adaptor plus a USB 3-to-Lightning cable in 2018; that sort of thing is deeply symptomatic of bean counters running the company instead of people who can make tougher decisions.

I don't think Apple not going whole hog on TB3/USB-C across their entire lineup has slowed things down much. Leaving aside the lack of updates to the Mac Pro and Mac Mini which is another kettle of fish, those desktops all are a minority of sales and the headless ones a minuscule portion of that. Leaving USB-A ports on non-space-constrained machines doesn't seem like it's staving off USB-C adoption compared to its use on laptops, Apple's most popular Mac devices.

I think the keyboard issue and wariness of their products because of that alongside anemic update schedules has done more to hurt USB-C adoption than anything else Apple is or is not doing.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
American Siri is so much more energetic and natural sounding than german Siri :( Kinda jelly.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I might be buying another Apple TV to replace my Roku express stick in the bedroom. I love my apple TV in my living room and I think I'd much rather have another device in the bedroom for my wife as the Roku express is pretty crappy wit the Wifi signal.

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that thing will get a 100+ price increase for sure.

I'm a little heart broken we haven't heard anything about the Mac mini since the initial report :( Makes you think...

Anyway, not much longer now if October turns out to be true. What are reasonable invitation days?

Modest Mauser

Jan 12, 2018
I've come around to really loving how extensive the dark mode is on Mojave especially after seeing how half-assed dark mode was in Windows 10.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
is there any way to loop videos in quick look? I just want to hit space bar, scroll through videos and have them loop.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I usually upgrade my iPad Pro every year (I went from the first 12.9 to the 9.7 to the 10.5) but this new 12.9 might be enough for me for a long, long time. Perfect size, obscenely powerful, Face ID, USB-C, new pencil, new keyboards.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I usually upgrade my iPad Pro every year (I went from the first 12.9 to the 9.7 to the 10.5) but this new 12.9 might be enough for me for a long, long time. Perfect size, obscenely powerful, Face ID, USB-C, new pencil, new keyboards.

Preach - with small bezels, A12X, USB-C, updated pencil. Should do the trick for a while.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that thing will get a 100+ price increase for sure.
Maybe. I think the price has already gone up pretty well on the iPad Pro, but we'll see. I think Apple's more likely to make bank (in this case) off of the pencil/keyboard peripheral sales.

I think we're going to see Apple easing up off the gas when it comes to ASP and focusing more and more on halo-effect stuff (namely using your iPhone to sell you AirPods, an Apple Watch, a Mac, an iPad... using your iPad Pro to sell you a keyboard and pencil, et cetera et cetera). That and presumably they've got further ways to crank up the service revenue coming down the pipeline.

What's going to be really interesting with these is the rumor that the 12.9" iPad Pro will keep the same screen size (and be overall smaller due to a shrunken bezel), but the 10.5" will be growing the screen itself to fit into the same physical size - so it'll be more like 13" versus 11" (just like the MacBook Air screen sizes, how about that). It's going to be a *really* tough choice when both of them get that kind of improvement.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that Apple needs to consider as they migrate their iOS apps to OS X is how it best makes sense to integrate the app into OS X. For example, I really would like the Home app to be integrated in the menu bar rather than a standalone app.

We're also going to start to run into some serious problems with the Dock paradigm for app access if we start to have all "100"+ apps we have on our phone on OS X.

It starts to make Launch Pad more important, which is stupid. I would almost much rather have Launch Pad integrated somehow into Mission Control.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/10/2018-ipad-pro-details-face-id-display/

Article updated to say that the new iPad will indeed have an A12X processor.

Fucking bring it
I can't even imagine how this thing is going to benchmark. iPad vs. Intel desktop processor comparisons will be really interesting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has Apple ever held an event in November? I can't see it.

Edit: I'm calling it, it's either gonna be Thursday the 25th or Tuesday the 30th.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One thing that Apple needs to consider as they migrate their iOS apps to OS X is how it best makes sense to integrate the app into OS X. For example, I really would like the Home app to be integrated in the menu bar rather than a standalone app.

We're also going to start to run into some serious problems with the Dock paradigm for app access if we start to have all "100"+ apps we have on our phone on OS X.

It starts to make Launch Pad more important, which is stupid. I would almost much rather have Launch Pad integrated somehow into Mission Control.

I can't even imagine how this thing is going to benchmark. iPad vs. Intel desktop processor comparisons will be really interesting.

I doubt many developers will be spending much time on pointless MacOS conversions of apps that only make sense on mobile. There will undoubtedly be a few where it both makes sense to commit the resources to do and is useful to the end user but look at the Watch if you want to see how small the overlap between those two things can be.

It remains to be see how well supported that hybrid app framework will be. The indies don't have the money to be adding that complexicity to their codebase frivolously and bigger studios already have dedicated Mac or PC apps anyways if it makes sense for them to have one.

Look at how few key iOS apps are optimised even for iPad. The effort required for conversion to a non-touchscreen interface will make that seem like child's play by comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt many developers will be spending much time on pointless MacOS conversions of apps that only make sense on mobile. There will undoubtedly be a few where it both makes sense to commit the resources to do and is useful to the end user but look at the Watch if you want to see how small the overlap between those two things can be.

It remains to be see how well supported that hybrid app framework will be. The indies don't have the money to be adding that complexicity to their codebase frivolously and bigger studios already have dedicated Mac or PC apps anyways if it makes sense for them to have one.

Look at how few key iOS apps are optimised even for iPad. The effort required for conversion to a non-touchscreen interface will make that seem like child's play by comparison.

I don't think Apple has the answers on this either, but that's why they aren't allowing people to do it yet and they're dogfooding nice-to-have but inessential applications to MacOS.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017

We'll have to see how easy Apple can make it. I would love to be able to start getting my Snapchats on my MacBook. I think a lot of apps would also love to have local access to resources on a MacBook.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't seem to find it. Does Face ID has an option of "rest finger to open" like Touch ID does? Or do I have to swipe everytime?

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy an SE but I didn't realize apple pulls their previous phone lines off shelves when they announce new hardware. I just thought it would be easier to find a good deal but I've slept on everything. I haven't bought a new phone for 6 years so I had no idea how the game is played.

Now I'm looking at resellers on ebay and amazon, trying to figure out who won't screw me. I'm so frustrated right now. There's hardware available from a few retailers but there's always some compromise to be made on storage or color.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy an SE but I didn't realize apple pulls their previous phone lines off shelves when they announce new hardware. I just thought it would be easier to find a good deal but I've slept on everything. I haven't bought a new phone for 6 years so I had no idea how the game is played.

Now I'm looking at resellers on ebay and amazon, trying to figure out who won't screw me. I'm so frustrated right now. There's hardware available from a few retailers but there's always some compromise to be made on storage or color.
Finding a good deal on an SE really shouldn't be a problem. They just removed it from their line up in September. Should be plenty of untouched stock left that retailers will want to get rid of.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter's iPhone has three apps that won't update; when we hit the update button, it seems to start the process, then it just goes back to the update button. I've hard reset the phone and still nothing. Any further suggestions? iOS is the latest version.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Around when do you guys think notches will be gone? Don't want to buy an XR if the notch will be gone next gen.

Definitely not next-gen. Probably not anytime soon. To ditch the notch you either have to somehow make a camera that can be stuffed behind the display (which would be practically physics-defying, since you'd need to basically make a camera that can see through a solid object) or use some kind of slider mechanism which is incredibly un-Apple.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter's iPhone has three apps that won't update; when we hit the update button, it seems to start the process, then it just goes back to the update button. I've hard reset the phone and still nothing. Any further suggestions? iOS is the latest version.

Try closing them out and then rebooting.

If that doesn't work uninstall reboot reinstall

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this before and found it was just actually one app that was stopping the rest from updating. Try individually updating the apps to find out which one it is, and then you just have to delete and reinstall the troublemaker.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Try closing them out and then rebooting.

If that doesn't work uninstall reboot reinstall

I've had this before and found it was just actually one app that was stopping the rest from updating. Try individually updating the apps to find out which one it is, and then you just have to delete and reinstall the troublemaker

One of the apps was YouTube, so I deleted that as I hadn't backed anything up yet, but when I tried to re-download it, it wouldn't download - basically the same issue. It would act as if it were starting, then just go back to the cloud symbol. Trying each one individually didn't work as they all refuse to update, and the app that was added to the update queue since yesterday now won't update either. I don't recall ever having issue with any of our Apple stuff before, so it's puzzling.

Edit: finally figured out that the payment info needed to be updated. What a pain in the ass. Thanks for suggestions, by the way.

Last edited:

mmazurkiewicz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
how do i fix the safari 12 lag on osx mojave? after one of the latest updates i get lag when creating new tabs using better touch tool. seems others are having similar lag issues based on a google search.

wait for an update or is there something i can do?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Around when do you guys think notches will be gone? Don't want to buy an XR if the notch will be gone next gen.

Not anytime soon. Trust me, as soon as you'd use the XR for more than 2 hours, you won't care about the notch anymore. iOS is so well built "around" it that it's really not bothersome at all. Boycotting phones with notches is - honestly - irrational and pointless.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not anytime soon. Trust me, as soon as you'd use the XR for more than 2 hours, you won't care about the notch anymore. iOS is so well built "around" it that it's really not bothersome at all. Boycotting phones with notches is - honestly - irrational and pointless.

Irrational and pointless? In my phone wars?