• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had a strange phone interview for a design job yesterday. Interviewer flat out said he thought my portfolio was light for the type of role I'm applying for, but also that he liked my mindset and the knowledge I demonstrated in the interview. He said that he's going to move me forward to the next stage (a design test), but it will be an "uphill battle."

Also said "Even if you don't get the role this time, let's keep in touch." Which on one hand is kind of cool, but also makes it sound like a foregone conclusion that I probably won't get it.

So some pretty mixed feedback. Not sure if I should be feeling good or bad... Guess I'll have to try to blow them away on this test...

Go in swinging and do your best. There's a lot of things you can teach employees. Apart from a few select jobs, if I have an employee that is a B- in skill, but an A+ in attitude and ethic, I would gladly hire that over a A+ in skill and a B- in attitude and ethic.

vegohead

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to land a hospital imaging IT job last week that i hope creates a pathway into Healthcare. Anyone who works in Healthcare IT have any general advice?

I'm a recent IT grad from NJIT, but I've had a few certs for a few years including CCNA (Routing and Switching as well as Security) and a some CompTIA ones(A+, Net+, Security+) but my work experience in the field is IMO kinda slim(about 6 months doing Desktop Support, about 9 months doing Network Tech Work Study) and have spent the last two months looking for a better job that would really be entry level in the field(I want to focus on Network Administration and start working towards Engineering or Security)

Currently I've worked the last 6 months as an Application Support Analyst, but that's more customer service focused on a single application(ID software) than real IT work. And my current job has pretty much no oppurtunities for growth(I've worked with and made friends with much of the Engineering and NOC Teams but management tend to try to hire externally and rarely).

The job hunt has been... interesting. I've applied to maybe 30-40 positions, had about 15 or so phone interviews, and around 8-10 F2F interviews between the beginning of January and now. Most of the positions have been Desktop Support of some kind, although the lastest one I applied for was a Jr. Network Admin role.

While I've had some phone interviews that could have gone better(like mentally blanking on a technical call for a Network Security Analyst role), I felt that most of my in person interviews, especially the last 5 or so went really well. Yet I never seem to seal the deal and get an offer with not much information being given on why I wasnt selected.

I realize that 2 months isn't a LONG time job searching, but it's kind of stressing me out as I'm trying to save and plan things for the future, and want to get a place with my girlfriend and move out of my parent's home in the next few months.

Can anyone offer any tips or suggestions on where to apply for jobs or in the job hunt in general? I've been using recruiters, Indeed, ZipRecruiter, DICE, LinkedIn, etc. I'm in the Lehigh County PA region but don't mind working in NJ(or even NY depending on if the commute is hell).

Your post kinda reads as a stealth brag lol. You have a good amount of experience under your belt, have you applied considered moving south to the D.C. area? You may have better luck with all those certifications you hold. I know security+ looks really good down here.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
This is a very interesting thread to read given what I've noticed in my industry. I can't find a civil/structural engineer to save my life right now...Been looking for close to a year and have had ZERO luck. I know some folks in different disciplines in the same boat. But when it comes to IT or CS work, there are just GOBS of people looking for jobs and not enough to go around.

I feel like the market is super cyclical. I really hope y'all find work (those who are looking). I can say that connecting to folks on LinkedIn, talking to other professionals, and looking into professional organization "mixers" will absolutely open doors.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I am a dev with experience in certain languages in the DC area but I want to learn ReactJS. I wish someone would hire me to let me learn on the job. Sigh.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So today I get an email from a company that I applied for. Here is the following conversation thread:

"Good Afternoon CreepingFear,
You recently applied for a "Systems Administrator" position at a company called Company. If you are still interested in this opportunity, please contact me or respond to this email at your earliest convenience. To learn more about Company, Inc. what we do, and what we offer the consumer finance industry, please see our website at . Thank you.
James
Manager Customer Service
555-555-5555
james@company.com

Hi James, Thank you for reaching out to me. Yes, I am still interested in hearing more about this position. What is the next step? Sincerely, CreepingFear

Hello CreepingFear, We would like to schedule an "in-person" interview with you at your earliest convenience. Would tomorrow morning at 10am be too soon?

James, Would it be possible to schedule this early next week? My schedule is pretty busy for the rest of this week at my current employer. I look forward to the interview

OK CreepingFear … That will be fine. I will reach back out to you early next week if the position has not been filled. Thank you.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

James,
Sincerely
CreepingFear"

Am I nuts, or is he trying to play the urgency game by making me feel bad that I was too busy for this week, especially when he wanted to give me less than 24 hours notice for the interview?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
CreepingFear What the heck, that's some silly stuff, why, who, I dunno. I, just can't. I had one do something slightly similar but it was just a 15 minute phone call. I did it as a courtesy so I would stay in the company's graces.
24 hours at minimum for an in person. You were right to tell that guy, also, how bad does it look if you are willing to shirk responsibility at your current job for their interview?

I am back in the saddle again, picking myself up after being laid low by that Manager. Still mad, but I am going to channel that energy. Anyone need a Business Intelligence/Tableau/Data Analyst Report Writer in Central Va? I wanna move home asap.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CreepingFear What the heck, that's some silly stuff, why, who, I dunno. I, just can't. I had one do something slightly similar but it was just a 15 minute phone call. I did it as a courtesy so I would stay in the company's graces.
24 hours at minimum for an in person. You were right to tell that guy, also, how bad does it look if you are willing to shirk responsibility at your current job for their interview?

I am back in the saddle again, picking myself up after being laid low by that Manager. Still mad, but I am going to channel that energy. Anyone need a Business Intelligence/Tableau/Data Analyst Report Writer in Central Va? I wanna move home asap.
Thanks for confirming that I am not crazy, at least in that way ;)

Sounds like maybe they extended someone else an offer but want to keep you as backup.
Yeah. I may be last look at someone while they have someone in mind. I really don't care if they don't call me back. I could use the interview practice, but their job listening had a few red flags for a systems admin job. It seemed to have some help desk component to it and they said start at $50k. That's low for a systems admin job in Orange County. Fuck, I make 65k as help desk.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
I was able to land a hospital imaging IT job last week that i hope creates a pathway into Healthcare. Anyone who works in Healthcare IT have any general advice?

Your post kinda reads as a stealth brag lol. You have a good amount of experience under your belt, have you applied considered moving south to the D.C. area? You may have better luck with all those certifications you hold. I know security+ looks really good down here.
I apologize if it seems that way, but if anything it's the opposite. It's kind of embarrassing that I haven't found a role yet. Moving would be an option normally, but I am in a relationship and my girlfriend is currently in school and has a young daughter. While we're close enough for long enough that we are going to get a place together, I'd say it's still too early to ask her to move with me out of state, especially since she doesn't have family in that area. We do have eventual plans to move to either Texas or Georgia at some point, likely after she graduates and we get married and plan to expand the family, but thats a few years away. If anything, looking for a job now is about establishing myself so I can find a better job wherever we plan to move(and build some savings for things like a wedding and future expenses).

grandmastashi

Nov 6, 2017
Dealing with recruitment companies as the middle man when applying for jobs does my absolute tree in. Particularly when you go to the trouble of putting an application together, only for it to be instantly judged and dismissed within minutes of being received by someone who has no practical, hands-on knowledge of your industry, to be followed up with...

'Sorry you've not got enough experience'.

The response I want to send is 'how have you possibly come to that conclusion?!' I'm 35 years old, surely by this point I have the self-awareness to judge whether if I see a job advertised with a similar or relevant job title from the one I currently have (Marketing Manager), that I might be able to then read the requirements of said job from the advert you've released and work-out whether my skills match up.

If they do, i'll go to the trouble of giving up a night of my life to jump through all the hoops you've set (CV, covering letter, examples of work, how my skills match the key skills), then submit, keeping my fingers crossed that someone capable of assessing them can go to the trouble of reading everything that was requested and analyse me and other candidates to give people a fair shake.

Instead, quick scan and instant dismissal with not even a mention of 'thanks for taking the time to apply', or even an indicator of where this apparent glaring lack of experience might be.

Sorry, rant over.

Oct 28, 2017
I have several friends in college that are extremely against reneging on an offer after accepting if a much better comes along with a different company. I wish I could convince them how they are only hurting themselves in this situation. I believe they have this misplaced sense of honor and trust with companies. Like, they're treating it how you'd stick to your plans with a friend and not cancel on them because another event came along.

But where you work is such a huge part of your life. You're giving it 40 hours of your life every week. Reneging on an offer may give a recruiter some extra work for a short period of time, but keeping an offer you didn't want anymore can impact you for years.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
So, the company I spoke about last page, I'm going to visit/tour their office today at 11am.

Kind of excited & nervous at the same time. Also, just need these guys to quit bullshitting and present an offer letter so that I can get the full picture.

This is a very interesting thread to read given what I've noticed in my industry. I can't find a civil/structural engineer to save my life right now...Been looking for close to a year and have had ZERO luck.

I'm assuming you guys are looking for a PE and/or SE, correct? PEs are already difficult to hire, but I know that SEs are even more difficult to get on board. Civil PEs should be easier since there are more of them.

As a PE myself, my suggestion is to be upfront about the work-life balance, and yes....you're going to have to pay current rates for this level of talent. Also, don't be afraid to hire EITs and train/finance them to get their PE.

Have to invest in your talent.

So today I get an email from a company that I applied for. Here is the following conversation thread:

"Good Afternoon CreepingFear,
You recently applied for a "Systems Administrator" position at a company called Company. If you are still interested in this opportunity, please contact me or respond to this email at your earliest convenience. To learn more about Company, Inc. what we do, and what we offer the consumer finance industry, please see our website at . Thank you.
James
Manager Customer Service
555-555-5555
james@company.com

Hi James, Thank you for reaching out to me. Yes, I am still interested in hearing more about this position. What is the next step? Sincerely, CreepingFear

Hello CreepingFear, We would like to schedule an "in-person" interview with you at your earliest convenience. Would tomorrow morning at 10am be too soon?

James, Would it be possible to schedule this early next week? My schedule is pretty busy for the rest of this week at my current employer. I look forward to the interview

OK CreepingFear … That will be fine. I will reach back out to you early next week if the position has not been filled. Thank you.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

James,
Sincerely
CreepingFear"

Am I nuts, or is he trying to play the urgency game by making me feel bad that I was too busy for this week, especially when he wanted to give me less than 24 hours notice for the interview?

Simply sounds like you're not the only candidate. Also sounds like they need to fill the role ASAP.

Their job is to bring in qualified candidates. You may be their backup option, and they could hire their #1 on the spot if the interview goes well. Maybe not.

But yes, the company should be considerate of candidates who are currently employed. It's not a good look otherwise.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming you guys are looking for a PE and/or SE, correct? PEs are already difficult to hire, but I know that SEs are even more difficult to get on board. Civil PEs should be easier since there are more of them.

As a PE myself, my suggestion is to be upfront about the work-life balance, and yes....you're going to have to pay current rates for this level of talent. Also, don't be afraid to hire EITs and train/finance them to get their PE.

Have to invest in your talent.

We actually prefer EITs (but are absolutely for hiring PEs). I'm licensed in 12 states myself. My company paid for my test, study material, CEUs, and travel for any and all courses I want to take to maintain licensure. Work life is amazing where I work. And as the department manager, I ACTIVELY encourage work life balance. Casual work attire (I wear jeans and a hoodie every day), no cubes (everyone has their own office), pay is very competitive, etc...It's actually insane how difficult it is to just find applicants in general. That's my hurdle.

I've conducted a few interviews, but I think young engineers see themselves designing the next big high rise or the Golden Gate Bridge and go to these mega companies. Which is totally cool, but man...I can't imagine being a number in a machine at a place like that.

Oct 27, 2017
What would you think a salary for a marketing manager position with these requirements should be?

• Manage the strategy and setup of marketing campaigns.

• Manage technical aspects within CRM platform used to generate, distribute, and report on leads.

• Establish and maintain scalable processes that ensure best practices in campaign and lead management.

• Create and maintain metrics reports on marketing activities, effectiveness, and business impact.

• Evaluate new and add-on applications to improve and optimize co-op marketing spend and measure results.

• Collaborate with executives, product managers, sales teams to maintain a consistent brand, voice, and message across all regions.

• Create content and produce various types of downloadable content to expand our company's digital footprint, awareness, subscribers, and leads.

• Maintain/update and create content for website and social media sites

I asked for 80k/year.

Oct 27, 2017
I could survive on without two paychecks but that would be cutting into my savings... :\

That is very interesting... I did not know that at all.

Yes, my parents live with me as I am their only child. Also they are fairly old in their 60s... I pay half of the mortgaged and my Father pays the other half... Its more like 65 /35 divide with all the bills and all. We are both on the mortgage though. So my parent's won't be able to pay the mortgage alone.

The 200 dollar calculation is based on what more that I would be making. All it takes account is my mortgage combined to what I pay for my parents and an extra rent that I will have to pay for down in DC. It does not include the extra utilities and food at the DC place.

I am about 4 to 5 hours away on a good day from DC. So I will have to rent a 2 bed room place.

Sigh. :( One of the hardest decisions ever. :( Because deep down I know its going to be too hard for my parents to do this alone. Sigh*. :(
Would your parents be willing to rent your room out to pay for the mortgage you already pay? Maybe even find a friend down on his luck and say we'll give you lower rent to also help take care of your parents.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else interviewed for the same job they're already doing? I don't know how to approach it. I been a contractor at this place for nearly 7 months and been doing an amazing job/teamplayer/etc since I got here. A position for the same job only comes once every 10+ years for the company and hoping that I don't screw it up. I'm positive that I'll just be talking to my current supervisors so I shouldn't freeze up too bad. I should just pretend like I don't know them when I go into it?
Yeah, alot of my coworkers say its for "formality". I'm not being complacent and will give it my all and show them how grateful I am for this opportunity. I graduated 9 years ago with this degree and finally was able to get into the industry 7 months ago with this job.

I got the offer 3 days ago. The requisition for this position started in late October and they picked the 4 candidates this week. I am so grateful and won't take a day for granted knowing how long it took for me to get to this point and for a company that's in the top 3 Fortune 500. I literally cried for 2 days straight that it happened. I was very fortunate to get pick considering that I was the only contractor from the group(4 in the interview process) that got chosen. Never give up people, I didn't know what year I graduated with the degree....I looked at it just now. December 2009. wow. The offer pay is still too surreal for me...it's nearly double my current pay and now I get benefits/401k /pension. I can't believe how blessed/lucky I am to finally get this big break.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So I had an in-person interview for an embedded developer position this morning - kind of like a technical phone screen, but we decided to meet up for an hour at their offices instead since their company is only a couple miles down the road. I didn't think it went particularly well - they had some questions that I really didn't have good answers to, and both the interviewers were very senior, no-BS engineering types who knew exactly where to pry when it came to my resume/background. However, I just got an email from my recruiter a few minutes ago that they actually want to bring me in for the half day panel interview, so I guess it went better than I thought. That makes two final interviews at different companies on my calendar so far - one tomorrow, one early next week. At least I have a good idea as to where I should be concentrating my study/brush up efforts though.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I had an application on linkedin get a good immediate response from the head of this company's recruitment/hr. She asked some questions and left an email stating that she will be in touch.

This morning I get an email from another employee who saw my resume through their internal posting system and said no thanks.

I emailed back the original person to get clarification and now I am just sitting here wondering wtf just happened. The Sr employee seemed to infer that there would be a follow up and now the Jr employee, god I love how some people put everything on linkedin, says no.

Wtf people get your shit together. I was really interested too. Now I am not sure.

I don't expect the person who contacted me
through linked in to get back to me at all, but a little clarification would be nice because it came from two different people.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for confirming that I am not crazy, at least in that way ;)

Yeah. I may be last look at someone while they have someone in mind. I really don't care if they don't call me back. I could use the interview practice, but their job listening had a few red flags for a systems admin job. It seemed to have some help desk component to it and they said start at $50k. That's low for a systems admin job in Orange County. Fuck, I make 65k as help desk.
That company wants an in person interview this Wednesday. I guess they didn't get someone.
Edit: Also, today I started sending out applications to Chicago. If I have better luck, then it is my destiny to return to the Chicaoland area.
Edit 2: I applied for a job and got a rejection email in less than an hour. Anyone else have that happen to them? That's the first for me.

Last edited:

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cross post from /r/itcareerquestions. Help me out with my resume, please.

Here is my situation: I've been in I.T. for 4 years. 3 years next week at same company(yes, I should have left a year ago, I know). My roles have included Help Desk, Desktop Support, and Field Tech. I have earned CCNA Routing and Switching, CCNA Cyber Ops, CompTia A+, Net+, and Sec+.

I am looking to get into systems administration, network admin/engineer, or information security analyst. My long term go is to get into info sec. I always figured I would need to get into network or systems admin first. I am making 60k base salary, 65k with OT a year in Orange County, CA. I don't want to take a salary cut if possible, just to get more experience. I can't stand contract work. That is very stressful not getting the benefits or knowing where you are going to work in a few months. I am currently applying for jobs in Orange County as well as the Chicago area.

Below you will find my resume. I copy and paste the qualifications from job postings as need be to match the filters. I have a generic cover letter, but I do make a customized one for dream jobs. Please help me improve, because I don't get too many calls. I have had maybe 6 phone interviews and only 2 in person interviews. I have been looking since October. I have been applying for jobs that have CCNA in listing as pluses, system admin, network admin or engineer, and information security analyst positions.

For whatever reason, Google Docs has a different format, the 2nd page is not part of the 1st in MS Word.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C4bcV-ksQsgO-4UgZxS751C52ys2gku3/view

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah think this is my last year with this company and most likely Japan. I'm really scared/anxious to move on but this newest job I started 6 months ago just kinda ruined, well everything. Work life balance went more negative than it should, my enjoyment of this kind of work tanked, and in general just made me lethargic.

Beginning the process of saving money and looking for a new line of work. I really don't know what I want to do next is the problem and only got experience in teaching high schools...

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Any good thoughts on the salary expectations question?

I am usually forthright and honest I state what I currently make and an acceptable range. I highlight my experience and skillset as well in that conversation.

However I am pretty sure it is a next step killer.

I am trying to only apply for positions like Senior Business Analyst because thats what I am and where I expect to be compensated, but I am finding a lot of orgs don't want to or don't properly budget for that.

I have another call today and I know it will come up and I am absolutely dreading that question because I want to get further along in the process to illustrate my value.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017

I am usually forthright and honest I state what I currently make and an acceptable range. I highlight my experience and skillset as well in that conversation.

I am trying to only apply for positions like Senior Business Analyst because thats what I am and where I expect to be compensated, but I am finding a lot of orgs don't want to or don't properly budget for that.

I have another call today and I know it will come up and I am absolutely dreading that question because I want to get further along in the process to illustrate my value.

On applications I usually put '0' or 'Negotiable' as it's a bullshit question designed to extract information from you that most employers are unwilling reciprocate. It's one of my pet peeves and a red flag though I realize that it's hard to avoid. In any case, if you've done your research and have accounted for experience, education, industry and location and the company doesn't want to pay you your worth then I say fuck 'em. Easier said than done but if you do end up getting a job for less than your worth there's a good chance you become bitter down the line, especially if you're doing well.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I had one of my two scheduled half-day interviews on Friday, and overall I think it went pretty well. After some introductory stuff, they put me in front of a Postgres shell, gave me a problem (calculate ratings share for a TV network over a 1 month time period using real viewership data), gave me a couple small hints about how the table names might be structured, and left me to work on it (though I could ask questions as needed). Other than the fact that I had to cancel some of my experimental/probing queries mid-transaction due to result size (their databases have some tables with over 50 billion rows!), I was able to get the correct answer. I then had to write a program in the language of my choice to implement a basic instant runoff voting system for a group of people who are trying to decide what to eat for lunch. I wrote a Python script that correctly accomplished the task. I also did some whiteboarding/discussion with a member of the group to walk through some possible solutions to resolve one instance of technical debt they're currently suffering from.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I can handle the job from a technical standpoint, so it's mainly a matter of whether the group thinks I'm a good fit culturally. I'm really hoping they choose to make an offer - I like the work more than what I'm doing now, my commute would drop from 45 minutes each way to less than 15, and the company seems really decent to work for.

EDIT: I just got an email from the hiring manager for the company I did this interview for. He wants to schedule some time tomorrow for a phone call to 'touch base'. Not sure what to make of that.

Last edited:

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
So I made it past the initial phone call and the salary wasn't an issue. The hr person wasn't sure of the total technical skill they were looking for since this is a new position and it isn't as technical as the rest of the team. I am completing a SQL exercise which is kind of tough since I am like just past beginning in SQL, and honestly while I can look through SQL and understand it, debug it to a point, I don't use it everyday.

The reporting tools I use take care of like 99% of the heavy lifting so I never worry about it. I guess if I do terribly they won't call back, but dang that sucks. I guess I just need to keep learning.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Going to do the big deed and ditch work tomorrow for a hot lead on a company I have a networking connection at. I've been more restrained so far and picking up interviews in times and places that work wouldn't suspect, so this one brings down a little risk. This one feels *right*.

Three people in my company are quitting in quick succession, so I fear that suspicion might fall upon me but then again this would be my first straight up sick day in nearly 17 months at the company.

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
I applied to a job that has the exact same job title as what I'm doing now. I applied Saturday and emailed the senior contact I had at the studio from the last time I applied. Even with all that, I got a rejection today. That's the quickest turnaround from application to rejection.

The fucking thing is that I interviewed at the studio before, but for a engineering position, and I was immediately rejected for a design position. (and I have less "professional" game programming experience!)

I don't understand what these people want, even when my resume matches 90% of the job description, they still won't even give me a design test

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I applied to a job that has the exact same job title as what I'm doing now. I applied Saturday and emailed the senior contact I had at the studio from the last time I applied. Even with all that, I got a rejection today. That's the quickest turnaround from application to rejection.

The fucking thing is that I interviewed at the studio before, but for a engineering position, and I was immediately rejected for a design position. (and I have less "professional" game programming experience!)

I don't understand what these people want, even when my resume matches 90% of the job description, they still won't even give me a design test

I hear you, I got rejected once within 24 hours, just based off my resume which matched 90%

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Any NYC ERA Chinese speaking college student looking for a job?

The company I work for is looking for someone young and can speak Chinese to be a brand ambassador at JFK and/or LGA airports. I don't know the full details, and I won't promise you amazing pay. If you lack experience, this is not a bad place to start. I got my start as a brand ambassador years ago too. Let me know if you're interested. They want someone young and fresh out of college to promote an app.

I don't know any young fresh out of college Chinese people, so I figured I give ERA a try.

Last edited:

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I took that SQL exercise and realized I am not as proficient as I wanted to be. I don't expect a call back but it did inspire me to keep working on my skillset.

It also makes me want to yell at the person who thinks a non-technical role needs extensive SQL experience especially when the applicant has extensive experience dealing with customers and front end reporting etc.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Had a strange phone interview for a design job yesterday. Interviewer flat out said he thought my portfolio was light for the type of role I'm applying for, but also that he liked my mindset and the knowledge I demonstrated in the interview. He said that he's going to move me forward to the next stage (a design test), but it will be an "uphill battle."

Also said "Even if you don't get the role this time, let's keep in touch." Which on one hand is kind of cool, but also makes it sound like a foregone conclusion that I probably won't get it.

So some pretty mixed feedback. Not sure if I should be feeling good or bad... Guess I'll have to try to blow them away on this test...
What kind of design do you do?

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Hey guys. I got an Internship starting next week and there is a chance for full time in the summer depending on how things go. Anyone ever was in a situation that they started as an intern and went full time? Do you have any tips to give me the best chance to stay with this company full time?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. I got an Internship starting next week and there is a chance for full time in the summer depending on how things go. Anyone ever was in a situation that they started as an intern and went full time? Do you have any tips to give me the best chance to stay with this company full time?
Every intern we have hired on from that internship has shiwn intiative to do more than just what they are asked, a drive to become involved in the organization and just a lot of effort in general.

So I'd advise looking for community groups in the company you can join. Ask to be involved in projects or other work outside of your normal tasks, and be willing to do a little more.

Granted they need a position long term for you and you hopefully enjoy the culture.

We lost a great intern because we didnt have a Java coding role anywhere for him. Antoher got hired on and eventually got in to the Linux Server team because he would do projects, namely for my team, that were outside of his normal work. So not only was he doing his normal work but he took on some APEX app projects to help us out.

It helped he liked doing that but it showed the folks in charge he had a passion and a willingness to do more when he saw a gap needing to be filled.

Best of luck to you, don't tane the opportunity lightly or for granted. It really is a great chance to move up.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
I last posted here a couple of weeks ago. Just to give a small update, sadly the last group of three interviewers I had all said no.

The last of the three took quite a while to get back to me. When they did, they told me it was essentially down to me and another candidate. The tie-breaker was the fact that the other candidate had more relevant experience with AWS.

So while I was applying and waiting, a friend of mine who worked at the place that went under made good on their promise on trying to get me + another former coworker interviews with the company he now works with. He has already managed to get one of the front end devs a job there, so it seemed promising.

Did round one two weeks ago. Apparently it went very well and I managed to get the interviewer performing the coding portion of the interview to take a liking to me. The next interview was a final interview. I discussed and went over a project I was keeping myself busy with since getting laid off, along with my work and any other experience related questions (tell me what you would do differently, etc.).

The second person I met with was the CTO. That one went a bit weird, as I was thinking I'd get a second programming question of some kind, based off of what the recruiter told me. It was very lax, and eventually the conversation works its way into him just saying "so..when would you be able to start?" Along with telling me about what to expect next, IE: background checks, salary talks, etc. I had also asked him as we were leaving if I could know a bit more about the project I would be working on, to which he said "don't worry you'll find out about it when you start".

I think I have a job lined up? I'm waiting for something a bit more "official", such as an email stating the fact.

I really really hope I just get an email stating the fact. Because I had a video call with another company just a while ago, and the thought of having to go with this process more makes me shudder with fear and dread.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I last posted here a couple of weeks ago. Just to give a small update, sadly the last group of three interviewers I had all said no.

The last of the three took quite a while to get back to me. When they did, they told me it was essentially down to me and another candidate. The tie-breaker was the fact that the other candidate had more relevant experience with AWS.

So while I was applying and waiting, a friend of mine who worked at the place that went under made good on their promise on trying to get me + another former coworker interviews with the company he now works with.

Did round one two weeks ago. Apparently it went very well and I managed to get the interviewer performing the coding portion of the interview to take a liking to me. The next interview was a final interview. I discussed and went over a project I was keeping myself busy with since getting laid off, along with my work and any other experience related questions (tell me what you would do differently, etc.).

The second person I met with was the CTO. That one went a bit weird, as I was thinking I'd get a second programming question of some kind, based off of what the recruiter told me. It was very lax, and eventually the conversation works its way into him just saying "so..when would you be able to start?" Along with telling me about what to expect next, IE: background checks, salary talks, etc. I had also asked him as we were leaving if I could know a bit more about the project I would be working on, to which he said "don't worry you'll find out about it when you start".

I think I have a job lined up? I'm waiting for something a bit more "official", such as an email stating the fact.

I really really hope I just get an email stating the fact. Because I had a video call with another company just a while ago, and the thought of having to go with this process more makes me shudder with fear and dread.
Yeah sounds like they just need to get the offer letter to you. May not hurt to follow up with the recruiter/Anyone you have a contact with HR wise on timeline.

Congrats!?! I mean don't stop interviewing or trying to line stuff up because all kinds of crazy stuff can happen, but it sounds like you are a fit and will be employed again.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That company wants an in person interview this Wednesday. I guess they didn't get someone.
Edit: Also, today I started sending out applications to Chicago. If I have better luck, then it is my destiny to return to the Chicaoland area.
Edit 2: I applied for a job and got a rejection email in less than an hour. Anyone else have that happen to them? That's the first for me.
I just got out of the interview. I think it went well. If I do get an offer, I think it's going to be low though. It's a smaller company of like 25. I think they will offer me like $50k for junior systems admin role when I make 65k for help desk. I would take the roll if they could match my current salary. I would be able to take part in cloud migration to AWS. That could be good for my career.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I just got out of the interview. I think it went well. If I do get an offer, I think it's going to be low though. It's a smaller company of like 25. I think they will offer me like $50k for junior systems admin role when I make 65k for help desk. I would take the roll if they could match my current salary. I would be able to take part in cloud migration to AWS. That could be good for my career.
AWS would definitely be great for your career and if they can get close to your salary and you can live it, you may come out way ahead in the future

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I ask them to give me the range for the position, and they are usually pretty open to sharing that information. Then I can say if that range is acceptable or not. I've ended several interviews at that point.

I did have to tell one recruiter that if she wasn't willing to share the salary range there was no point moving forward, and wouldn't you know the salary was not in my acceptable range.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my place has been dangling a permanent contract above us for like 4 months and myself and most of the agency staff in my team went for it and I just got told its mine. More pay. less hours. Decent Benefits. Same job but more options for internal movement and development. Its pretty sweet.

But I got it over the one guy who has been here longer then me and TBH I was rooting for to get the role and that stings and I can tell he is a bit pissed off about the whole thing

its super awkward. he basically trained me on most things when Is started.

He is a solid worker but isnt exactly up for overtime when its available (and we get paid real well for overtime) and has gotten in heated arguments with management in the past that probably caught up to him here.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
For the last 6 weeks I have been waiting on a company I got in thanks to a friend submitting my resume.

The first 5 weeks I was told that although I was a great fit for the position it was listed towards the end of last year and due to budgets being evaluated for the new year the position may no longer be available. It was still being decided if they had the budget this year to "green light" the position itself.

I was told things like "if the position is a go, you are a top candidate" and shit like that.
(Keep in mind everything I am including in quotes in this post are directly copy and pasted from emails from them)

A week ago my main contact from their HR department reached out to say they were going on a leave of absence and they were introducing me to a new person who would keep me updated about the position. During this introduction I was told they "were still waiting on final approvals."
Okay, that is fucking madness, it had officially been 6 weeks, but cool. Thanks for the update. At least it is not me. Or so I thought.

Today I received an email from my new contact at HR. It had 3 sentences total. The first one including the following...
" The team has given an offer to another candidate who has just accepted."

So am I to believe that in the course of exactly 1 week they not only decided the position was a go but they interviewed, offered the position to and hired someone? Nevermind it was without ever asking me to interview, one of the "top candidates."

So that clearly means someone lied to me at some point in time.

And that is what pisses me off more than anything else. Just be fucking honest and real with me. Is that so hard???

Soul crushing is indeed so spot on.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
What are people's thoughts on contacting a hiring manager on LinkedIn after applying? 1 week, 2 weeks? Never?

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
I have an informal interview today with a studio co-founder that a coworker of mine is really close with, and was able to arrange a meeting. I'm also flying out for a funeral immediately afterwards. I'm not sure i'm in the right state for this and I'm not sure what to expect, since I don't know if this is a formal interview or not. I'm just hoping to convince them to give me a design test.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Soon will have a part time job and dont have to work the full 20 hours immediatly its my first ever serious job lol and i am glad its just in a store but gotta start somewhere :P

Due to my mental issues i am on benefits so i get help with searchin for work etc and i am only required to work part time they fill up the money i miss as normally get benefits each months i will for sure earn and get more than my benefits.

Wich ofcourse makes sense otherwise there is no reason for me to work if i get less lol or nothing extra.

But tbh idm it 20 hours later is not that much and i can build to those hours at my own pace so thats neat. Probably will start end of march or early april. so thats neat. Tbh kinda gettin bored of sitting at home xd the first 4 years it felt like a dream came true but it gets borin after a while and now they decided i am required to work tbh i dont complain they were like you only have to work part time dw the 40 hour requirement we will slash in half aslong as you work we dont complain and still give you your benefits and you will earn more than doing no work at all.

So i am glad they are so chill or i am just lucky with who coaches me because i heard horror stories where they forced people to work instead of lettin em do it at their own pace or are totally unable to ever work. So yeah i should consider myself lucly especially with being able to work part time and still have lots of free time not everyone can do that. So in that way i consider my mental issues a blessing. They still have lots of negatives tho so this is like the only few positives.......

I also was lookin after my dad while he was ill thays also why they were not so harsh on me cuz they considered me his care taker.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was my thinking. Even though I would like 80k now, if get the right experience and can make 100k in 2 years, then it would be worth it.
I just got word that they are calling my references.

tenor.gif