NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If Labo was 3rd and missed retailer expectations by a huge margin I think those expectations were unrealistic to begin with

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Labo was 3rd and missed retailer expectations by a huge margin I think those expectations were unrealistic to begin with

Its 3rd not including digital releases for other titles.

It also has a higher ASP than every other title in the Top 10 so isn't going to tell the full story in terms of units. Trust me retailer expectations weren't huge to begin with. (Well some early projections were a bit out there, but they had started dropping around the last month or so prior to release as it became evident launch wasn't going to be overly large)

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I got my PS4 prediction almost spot on however, both the Switch and Xbox One let me down, especially the latter...

Speaking of the latter console, no wonder they are serving up their second or third 'temporary' price cut in a space of five months.

I know Mat has been quite vocal in saying that they don't really matter, but it's not hard to see why they continue to do it, especially after April's results (despite being up YoY).

Last April was absolutely woeful for the Xbox One ~ just 105K.

How much sold XBO last year?

As above.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

It also has a higher ASP than every other title in the Top 10 so isn't going to tell the full story in terms of units. Trust me retailer expectations weren't huge to begin with. (Well some early projections were a bit out there, but they had started dropping around the last month or so prior to release as it became evident launch wasn't going to be overly large)
Will retailers be willing to keep it on the shelves till the holidays to give it a chance?

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Labo missed retailer expectations.

By a wide margin
I have a question for you all others who's job it is do sales analysis. Where was the disconnect with Labo? A lot of sales guys and gals were bullish on Labo, and so were the retailers I assume. Do you guys see it coming back in a big way during the holidays?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Why is it a problem if everyone is doing well lol

That's the whole thing, it isn't a problem. But if Bakery A sells 1,000 cupcakes with little effort and Bakery B sells 900 cupcakes after cutting prices a few times, having just launched a brand new cupcake that was hyped for months, and gives other incentives than one still did clearly better than the other.

For months it was like "they are all in or near the 300k mark, they are all so amazing!" when others had to do way, WAY more to get those results and they still didn't hit the top spot despite the efforts indicating thats what they wanted.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Yep at this point the big 3rd party games going to be on all the systems or most anyway .
So exclusives are a big plus to add to that .
What also good for Sony is there are entering next gen with exclusives they making selling more than even before .
They could be entering next gen with 5 exclusives that selling around 8 to 10 million which is something only Nintendo could do .

I think most people buy one and maybe two console and are also price conscious. When two share something like 80 to 90% the same third party library, the enticing factor is the must have games that are only on one platform that shows off the tech, power, and it being a good game to boot.

I think Nintendo Switches also shines because of its portability and it having its own unique catalogue of established franchises and newer entries you can't find elsewhere. Also is relatively inexpensive as far as this gen consoles go.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Well I don't doubt you but it seems really weird to me that it is 3rd at retail but it missed expectations a lot, Labo never seemed to be a frontloaded product to me.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the big thing with the Labo is that it is selling to an audience that doesn't exist currently. The Switch has sold to a traditional "core" audience so far, not to expanded or more "casual" gamers. Most of its install base is grown men. Labo is categorically something children may like. But children don't own a Switch yet, and buying a brand new Switch with an $80 Labo kit is pushing things dangerously high price wise, so of course parents will instead just get kids a $70 2DS with Art Academy or something instead.

Basically- Labo is selling to an audience that doesn't exist. Nintendo should have tried this after Pokemon.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will retailers be willing to keep it on the shelves till the holidays to give it a chance?

I don't know, just depends on how follow up months perform. But I'm not seeing a ton of consumer interest in it, so we'll have to see. Too early to call on that

I have a question for you all others who's job it is do sales analysis. Where was the disconnect with Labo? A lot of sales guys and gals were bullish on Labo, and so were the retailers I assume. Do you guys see it coming back in a big way during the holidays?

My personal opinion, is its just too expensive. Like, significantly too expensive. And its also a product targeted towards an age group that doesn't heavily own Switch consoles either.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm shame about LABO, was an interesting experiment and very novel idea. Clearly has failed to gain much traction however, maybe they should rethink pricing and try again at Xmas with a new pack

You have wonder if this will lead to more "core" titles going forward instead of these more experimental efforts given that all the switches huge sellers are the traditional core titles (zelda/mk8/odyssey/splatoon)

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, just depends on how follow up months perform. But I'm not seeing a ton of consumer interest int it, so we'll have to see. Too early to call on that

My personal opinion, is its just too expensive. Like, significantly too expensive. And its also a product targeted towards an age group that doesn't heavily own Switch consoles either.

Hey Benji how is God of War doing in May so far?

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
[PS4] 230K
[NSW] 240K
[XB1] 180K

Out of the ass justifications: since a healthy competitor arrived on the scene, the general console sales have been buoyed upwards, in addition, GoW is the first actual must have Sony published title (imo), so we'll be seeing a bump over usual April numbers. Switch demand is still trucking along, Labo will have generated some interest and with summer approaching, a portable console becomes more interesting. Xbox had a good run. (Kidding, but after the release of Gamepass and Sea of Thieves it's back to quiet).

HighlevelBlackAlligatorgar-size_restricted.gif

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Look at it as a parent.. .you're paying 100$ for cardboard. It's not a great sell.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
Yep at this point the big 3rd party games going to be on all the systems or most anyway .
So exclusives are a big plus to add to that .
What also good for Sony is there are entering next gen with exclusives they making selling more than even before .
They could be entering next gen with 5 exclusives that selling around 8 to 10 million which is something only Nintendo could do .

It's another thing this gen, last gen Sony had plenty of exclusives but for the most part they sold OK, but they had so many if those that it had a big effect even if most of them weren't blockbusters.

This gen, many of their exclusives are just monsters, not just selling OK or well, but providing numbers many third party publishers can only dream of, it's pretty crazy how good everything seems to be going for Sony this gen.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone knows whats up with the Pro? Its nowhere to be found. Retailers are left in the dark it seems.

Did they sneakily address the complaints about the noisy hardware etc?

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, just depends on how follow up months perform. But I'm not seeing a ton of consumer interest int it, so we'll have to see. Too early to call on that

That's interesting about which demographic owns Switch currently.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Hmmmm shame about LABO, was an interesting experiment and very novel idea. Clearly has failed to gain much traction however, maybe they should rethink pricing and try again at Xmas with a new pack

You have wonder if this will lead to more "core" titles going forward instead of these more experimental efforts given that all the switches huge sellers are the traditional core titles (zelda/mk8/odyssey/splatoon)

To me Labo felt like another attempt at Nintendo trying to convince people that something that isn't special is a brand new innovation for toys and games.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting about which demographic owns Switch currently.

Switch has more younger age demos playing it than some data would make you believe, due to it getting a decent amount of use as a family's home console. But its still not huge. Its a core driven product currently, though with the demo spread slowly increasing and becoming more varied.

Titles like Pokemon and Animal Crossing are needed to really expand that userbase. Once titles like that release it could be a late boon for Labo

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Look at it as a parent.. .you're paying 100$ for cardboard. It's not a great sell.
I am not going to lie Expy, I have played with card when I was a kid. My cousin and I use to make armors and swords and stuff like that. But yes, I don't think my parents would have paid a single penny to buy any of those card boards. We just hoarded all of those from packagings.

OP
OP

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
And how am I still in the Top 20 overall when I missed March entirely?
Annual results are top 10 of 12 months per individual, so you can miss up to 2 months for the year and still be okay.
Was introduced some years back to help cover just this situation, where someone missed one or two months but otherwise was consistent throughout the year. For those who do predict every month, it allows them to drop their two lowest scoring months, so it's good for everyone. :)

Oct 25, 2017
I still didn't understand the long lasting appeal of Labo.

Half the fun is building the thing. But once its built, its built. You now have this very fragile cardboard thing in your house just sitting there. You play the game for a day or two, and thats that.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch has more younger age demos playing it than some data would make you believe, due to it getting a decent amount of use as a family's home console. But its still not huge. Its a core driven product currently, though with the demo spread slowly increasing and becoming more varied.

Titles like Pokemon and Animal Crossing are needed to really expand that userbase. Once titles like that release it could be a late boon for Labo

I wonder how Donkey Kong is selling on the Switch. Would think it caters more to the core audience

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017

Gotacha. Release Pokemon, get younger kids on board, hit 20 million sales; like everyone has been saying all year. How much damage do you see Fortnite doing on Switch? It has to also coming this year, right?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Labo was never going to sell gangbusters upon its release, I don't know why people ever thought it would. Especially when it became evident that Nintendo wasn't really pushing for a huge launch.

Curious about how well Tropical Freeze is doing.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
PS4 killing in it 5th year.

Switch without software releases are close to Xbox One sales than PS4.

Xbox One still doing good compared with last year but low sales no matter how you look.

Kind of expected to any region... how some here are prediction a ultra mega hit is out of my mind.

Labo is something new that even Nintendo doesn't know if there is a market for it... it is basically a bet... the chances to bet in something that end to be a mega hit is pretty low.

Last edited:

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

All Nintendo games (outside of Bayonetta) try to hook kids to their platforms, but the Switch being $299 is still a barrier in itself. As the Switch becomes cheaper, the younger demographics will grow. Pokemon will help (as well as Smash), but it isn't the answer

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All Nintendo games (outside of Bayonetta) try to hook kids to their platforms, but the Switch being $299 is still a barrier in itself. As the Switch becomes cheaper, the younger demographics will grow. Pokemon will help (as well as Smash), but it isn't the answer

Yes it is. Pokemon by itself will single handily bring in, without exaggerating, multiple millions of new Switch gamers under the age of 15.

$299 is still a barrier, of course, but one that is less so during the holiday period.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes it is. Pokemon by itself will single handily bring in, without exaggerating, multiple millions of new Switch gamers under the age of 15.
Wonder if that boost could help LABO sell big in the holidays. Shame the current sales look lackluster at this stage, maybe the holidays and synergy with Pokémon (and Yokai Watch 4 in the Japanese market) can bring strong sales.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I got my PS4 prediction almost spot on however, both the Switch and Xbox One let me down, especially the latter...

Speaking of the latter console, no wonder they are serving up their second or third 'temporary' price cut in a space of five months.

I know Mat has been quite vocal in saying that they don't really matter, but it's not hard to see why they continue to do it, especially after April's results (despite being up YoY).

Last April was absolutely woeful for the Xbox One ~ just 105K.
I wonder if people wait for the One S to go on sale to $250 since it happens frequently now.