• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking recently with Press Start, Dinga Bakaba – director of the upcoming Deathloop said that being part of the Game Pass ecosystem will allow Arkane to remain creative and keep making the kind of games they like making.​

Being able to be apart of the Xbox Game Pass ecosystem makes things a bit different for us, because we can occupy a space in that service, and we will continue to make the kind of games that we make and make them well," he said. "If you've looked on social media, you'll see that games like Prey and Dishonored 1 and 2 coming to Xbox Game Pass, a lot of people are saying that you need to play these games and have no excuse not to, so it's been very encouraging."

"It's a service that will allow us to remain creative and have the audience and build that relationship over time and that's really exciting."​

Xbox Game Pass Will Allow us to Remain Creative - Arkane

The studio behind Prey and Dishonored is excited about being a part of the Game…

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
This piece of news makes me happy. For the longest time I feared each new Arkane game would be their last.

Oct 27, 2017
Great news. On the heels of the previous acquisitions, I'm not surprised though. They get to be Arkane with near unlimited funding now. Great for us gamers.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Just finished Prey. Thinking a Dishonoured replay soon. Super excited to see what Arkane come up with in the future.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Arkane getting to keep making immersive sims is the best consequence of the Bethesda acquisition

Raigor

May 14, 2020
If Zenimax kept funding Arkane games despite being hard to sell and market I have faith in Phil Spencer continuing to do the same.

I don't want another developer chasing open world games.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
hell yeah. Really glad to see Dishonored and Prey get so much love recently due to Game Pass. They are amazing games that deserved much more recognition when they originally launched

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
Looking forward to seeing how Game Pass allows devs more freedom. An episodically structured Dishonored game could be very interesting.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
One of the biggest benefits of Game Pass (that frankly isn't talked about enough) is the fact that it affords developers/artists creative freedom. They can take more risks than they normally would. I personally can't wait to see where this goes.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm excited to try their games...somehow made it through last gen not playing any of them.

On another note, I randomly thought of Shawn Elliot who I knew was a designer at Arkane Austin. Looks like he jumped over to be the lead designer on the new Bioshock. Not sure when that happened and I'm sure it's old news by this point but that's pretty cool and has me excited for it — whenever the hell they're actually able to release it.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
I'm so glad to hear this. Every time an Arkane game underperformed I was afraid the worst would happen. One of the my favorite developers, and I want them to thrive.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Grub mentioned last week Arkane could've been on the chopping block if the acquisition didn't happen. Great to see their games getting special attention by BC team, Prey and Dishonored have gotten a new lease or life, and hopefully a bunch of new fans.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
In before people GamePass truthers come in and say "but Arkane doesn't know what they are talking about because what if GamePass becomes more popular and more people are able to play Arkane games?" 🤔

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of the only silver lining to corporate acquisitions to me. Being owned by a huge company, if they aren't interfering with your game development, means you can explore some creative freedoms without risk of a single title bankrupting you.

But then, it's not like Microsoft bought the guys who own Doom because they really wanted Prey 2 or a fourth Dishonored.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Really consistent studio, I'm all for them making games that they want to undertake regardless of commercial viability.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
How can you be a writer and not know that "apart" is two words in that context? "Being able to be a part of the Xbox Game Pass ecosystem". At least the editor should have caught that. Bugs me lol

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the best studio MS managed to acquire imo...but i'm still not convinced they'll even be around in a few years time. MS have a lot of studio's to bankroll now so i see closures in the future being an inevitability...and Arkane straddles that awkward line of "high budget, low popularity" which just sounds like a money pit. hopefully that isnt the case though, since they're like the only studio within that Bethesda buyout that i genuinely love.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody wants to say it but Arkane would of been first one on the chopping block. If Bethesda's game kept bombing

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I love Arkane games. I'm excited to see what they come up with, with more funding and or freedom. I definitely want more dishonored at some stage though.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Arkane are easily one of the best in the industry, and arguably leading the charge with immersive sims. Gives me chills to think what they can achieve under Game Pass and MS funding.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
One of the best studios (or pairs of studios, I guess?) in the industry, IMO. Glad they get to keep doing what they do best, and I'm really looking forward to Deathloop!

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not someone who plans to use Gamepass much but I do feel it really helps out titles that can have issues convincing people to give them a try. Arkane's titles often fall in that wheelhouse.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Arkane and ID are the two studios I like most at Bethesda and I am very excited to see what they do next.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
One of my favorite studios lately. Literally every game they made since Dishonored has been a hit. Shame Dishonored 2 is locked behind shitty performance on consoles but it's great on PC.

Easily MS' best studio for me. By far.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Arkane was secretly the best studio Microsoft has acquired. Microsoft has really become the best publisher in the industry if counting their previous studios plus everything Bethesda. I'm insanely hyped for their output.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
that's not gonna happen. they're gonna add more, not close the ones they got.

they're still a business that requires games to succeed. if a studio is failing to bring in crowds (which arkane games are consistently bad at), what use is it to keep them operating? especially when that budget could be used elsewhere?

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Great news. On the heels of the previous acquisitions, I'm not surprised though. They get to be Arkane with near unlimited funding now. Great for us gamers.

It's nowhere near unlimited funding :) They will have a budget that will very much be finite.

However, this does mean they are guaranteed to get funding for the projects they want to make, which is awesome news and I can't wait for Deathloop and whatever comes next. Arkane is great.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Arkane is one of my favourite devs out there, low-key one of the best gets for MS with this whole Zenimax thing. Consistently have been making awesome games for a while now so it's nice to hear they'll just keep doing that.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
the best studio MS managed to acquire imo...but i'm still not convinced they'll even be around in a few years time. MS have a lot of studio's to bankroll now so i see closures in the future being an inevitability...and Arkane straddles that awkward line of "high budget, low popularity" which just sounds like a money pit. hopefully that isnt the case though, since they're like the only studio within that Bethesda buyout that i genuinely love.
MS wants diversity of games for gamepass tho. So these games fit also. One person joins for Halo, other for Age of Empires and the other for a Arkane game.

Oct 27, 2017
Prey at 60fps with minimal load times has made an amazing game even better. My second playthrough is going really well, and I'm excited for Deathloop in a couple of months. I'll always be looking out for new stuff from Arkane.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
this is the best part about the acquisition. after their string of bombs a few years ago i was worried. even when Deathloop was first announced i wasn't that excited as i expected it to be some trend chasing game. then when they dropped the first gameplay it was a huge relief, and knowing that they'll continue making cool shit even after that game flops is also a huge relief

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
This goes directly against the narrative that BigBluntz69 from a YouTube comment section once presented wherein all GamePass games end up being throwaway titles or designed as GAAS to ensure that the service remains sustainable. Don't care what the devs say. I'm with BigBluntz69.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No no no! It is common knowledge that every studio will only develop AA fodder from now on.
I mean them being creative could result in smaller and more create AA content. Regardless of what they are saying its not like MS is gonna have every studio run wild and spend 100 million on project without making sure its something that would be embraced by the audience.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
More developers share this sentiment, that Gamepass allows them to be more creative.
It is difficult to make a gamble on a game with AAA budget if you want to test something new and it does not work. It can make or brake companies if its a total failure.

And not all games need to be AAA to be great games either.

But the best thing that can be given to developers is the ability to be creative and NOT having pressure on delivering something that must sell XXX million of copies and this is what Gamepass provides.