• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
With the lighthouses too?
Yeah. Gen 2 Lighthouse was supposed to cut costs significantly, Valve's their own manufacturer, and I'm assuming they're more interested in driving the SteamVR platform than profiting off the hardware. And double the price of an Oculus S would be a hard sell. Fingers crossed.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Index is a weird name but I'm in (assuming I could even get one in Malaysia). I've been holding off from upgrading my old Vive and Rift.

Also shoutout to Sweeney for locking in those exclusives. Now I have all this extra cash to spend on another VR headset lol.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see all these new VR headsets. I want one for super hot and beat saber to use to get a workout with.
Alas I will have to see how the headsets where you don't have to set up cameras are.
While I don't mind needing to move my table for VR, there is no feesable way I could have cameras to track things set up at all times.

Unless any of the headsets without external cameras you need to set up review decently though, I might just wait and see what the ps5 offers. Either way, the future of VR is starting to look interesting to me.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Has there been any rumors on if it would have eye tracking?
For big FoV it should be significant performance saver.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wish this VR headset had:
1. Wireless
2. Comfortable for people with glasses (seriously why not have changeable eye cups to accommodate people with glasses?)
3. Got rid of the screen door effect

I wonder how close this version will come to any of those?

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I know this sounds stupid but my biggest concern is with how they are going to distribute the hardware lol... I want to go into a store near by me and buy the thing (same as I did with my Vive and Vive Pro)

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at the Vive and still couldn't believe how damn expensive it was for 3 year old tech. Even if this Valve one will be just as expensive, it'll be brand new. I hope the price won't be stupidly high like Vive Pro - I could buy it at around €500.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Interested to see how this turns out. I wanted a Vive for awhile but they're apparently not worth it at the price they're selling them for now. So it's either this or the Oculus S.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I know this sounds stupid but my biggest concern is with how they are going to distribute the hardware lol... I want to go into a store near by me and buy the thing (same as I did with my Vive and Vive Pro)
I imagine they'll ask in stores and in Steam. The cool thing about selling it on Steam is you could buy it with Steam wallet funds so you could sell virtual items to help pay for it.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
hope they will ship to japan. A bit worried it will feel like yesterdays tech unless they have inside out tracking.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it -- I think Valve want something more approachable for a larger market.
Which is a bit of a shame for me personally, I'd love to see something really high-end/out there. Like a true HDR HMD :p
(Oh, and the form factor alone makes it extremely unlikely that it matches the Pimax FoV)

That said, I expect nothing less than an extremely well-rounded and polished PC-focused VR product for a fair price.
As much as I love the Pimax FOV, FOV isn't everything - when I wondered if this could beat out Pimax for high end VR, I meant the whole package. The very believable rumor is that this headset has 135 degrees FOV, so shouldn't feel as cramped as the others. It could beat out Pimax by having a better display, more polished hardware and software, more features out of the box (hand tracking, wireless, passthrough AR, variable focus, as you said HDR, 120hz refesh, etc), more comfortable headstrap...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'll bet $600 bundle, $400 headset only, $300 knuckle only.
note: I've been wrong on every VR headset price.
They aren't going to sell this without controllers, this is a consumer headset trying to get people to buy Steam VR games, the vast majority of which require motion controllers. Plus the new lighthouses aren't compatible with HTC's old Vive controllers, and of course people with any other headset wouldn't be able to use their controllers with this.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
The rumours have been Half-Life VR has been in development for a while (as well as two other VR games).
This is the most excited anyone should be for Valve because they could actually be showing new games very soon.
I have completely missed this. How credible are these rumours (source, cite)?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Optional wireless is an absolute must. At least that's a good strength of the Lighthouse tech in that you don't need to transfer camera data feeds, at least not for tracking purposes.

Second: Please adopt the PSVR crown/open-visor comfort design. Everyone else like Samsung, Lenovo & Oculus Rift S have seen the practicality here enabling long play sessions comfortably.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I choose to interpret the "upgrade your experience" to mean I can send in my OG Vive and they'll send me the Index with Knuckles at no cost at all.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
This person just decided to pull "100%" out of their ass. The code he posted lists no numbers. Also, that could be from the standard code for any of Steam's pages.

.game_purchase_discount .discount_final_price { padding-bottom: 3px; font-size: 13px; color: #c6d4df; }

From CoD page. So (un)surprisingly whole lot of nothing.

And even if it was, styling for discount block would likely just be price for the thing itself.
They don't change style (css class names) based on type, all products on steam have always used game in css.

It's very very silly to draw from, if you know anything about website creation.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Hmmm.

Obviously I want. But I use my existing vive infrequently to say the least.

This needs to be a significant upgrade at not a huge price to get me to bite.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
In terms of pricing, it's of course a bit silly to speculate given that we don't even know any of the specs of the HMD, but I can't resist.

We have a few indicators.
- Lighthouse 2.0 base stations are $60 a piece in bundles of 5.
- The Steam controller is on sale at $35 from time to time. A single Knuckle has a lot more sensors in it, but perhaps fewer components total. Let's hope for something like $50 at cost.
- The HMD is rumoured to have LCD displays. It also needs lighthouse sensors (which have come down in cost, but probably still add something like $25 at least), 2 cameras, and the optics -- there Valve will probably use the improved Fresnel lenses they have patented. Also physical IPD, which adds construction complexity, and headphones. This one is by far the hardest to estimate, since we don't know anything about the actual specs and what level of sophistication it slots into.

Personally, as a result of this, the very lowest complete bundle price I can see happening if the HMD is more on the affordable end of the spectrum is $499.
The highest price I can imagine, with a higher-end HMD -- unless it has some amazing hitherto unseen technology we don't know about -- is $699 for the complete bundle. Because I don't think Valve is looking to make large profits on this.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
In terms of pricing, it's of course a bit silly to speculate given that we don't even know any of the specs of the HMD, but I can't resist.

- The Steam controller is on sale at $35 from time to time. A single Knuckle has a lot more sensors in it, but perhaps fewer components total. Let's hope for something like $50 at cost.
- The HMD is rumoured to have LCD displays. It also needs lighthouse sensors (which have come down in cost, but probably still add something like $25 at least), 2 cameras, and the optics -- there Valve will probably use the improved Fresnel lenses they have patented. Also physical IPD, which adds construction complexity, and headphones. This one is by far the hardest to estimate, since we don't know anything about the actual specs and what level of sophistication it slots into.

Personally, as a result of this, the very lowest complete bundle price I can see happening if the HMD is more on the affordable end of the spectrum is $499.
The highest price I can imagine, with a higher-end HMD -- unless it has some amazing hitherto unseen technology we don't know about -- is $699 for the complete bundle. Because I don't think Valve is looking to make large profits on this.
Do you have a link to the lenses patent?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
if nothing else, we know there is also Lighthouse 2.0

I'm really hoping they've got a Steam controller V2 in there. With the new compelling options for VR controllers (touch grip buttons) and features the original controller had, they could probably make a pretty sweet controller that is a lot better. V1 feels a bit like a prototype: a new concept that they've seen how people use its features, and they would know what changes to make to improve it.

Potentially even more interesting could be dedicated gaming hardware of some sort (a handheld or a console thing).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when we're gonna have the first cryptic tweets talking about how excited they are for this or that?

Was checking out the Vive Reddits (for any nuggets) and I think I'm getting onboard with there being something very unique about this. Index, by itself, is a really stupid name for an HMD. I'm inclined to believe Index is somehow referring to something tracking related. Index has to mean something to make it the name of your HMD.

Has there been any rumors on if it would have eye tracking?
For big FoV it should be significant performance saver.

Haven't been any rumors, but Valve did get a patent for eye tracking that's done inside the optics tunnel (between the lenses and the screen).

This seems like the #1 thing a next-gen HMD should have. And yet Facebook also omitted it from the Quest. Makes me wonder if companies are having difficulties getting it to work with 100% of the population. Could be a real possibility there.

Definitely. If it's using lighthouse, and they haven't been able to get those costs significantly lower, 499.99 seems like the absolute floor.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
$399 for headset, Knuckles and Lighthouse 2.0 emitters would be killer.
Going $600 or higher and you are still heavily in enthusiast-only market.

$149 for optional wireless enhancement (battery and antenna).

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
$399 for headset, Knuckles and Lighthouse 2.0 emitters would be killer.
Going $600 or higher and you are still heavily in enthusiast-only market.

$149 for optional wireless enhancement (battery and antenna).

I'm staking out the claim that Index is referring to something significant. And they'll also sell a budget model that doesn't ship with Lighthouse. Everything will have the diodes embedded, so you can add Lighthouse if you want the added precision. But if you don't care about perfect coverage/accuracy, Index will enable tracking that isn't reliant on Lighthouse.

I'm probably wrong, but I'm sticking my stake on this here unclaimed territory.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but $499 sticks in my head. I feel like it's a solid point with the whole "upgrade your experience" tagline, without getting in Vive Land's unreasonable pricing.

I've skipped on all of the VR hardware and software up to this point. It may be time...

People cringe when this is said, because there's been a lot of incremental upgrades over the years, but in terms of launches, I personally suspect this is going to be the start of Gen 2 VR, a clear new era of VR development, new expected feature sets, etc. I'm not saying it'll sell as well as the Quest (that's going to really pull some people in), but I presume Valve hasn't spent this long pioneering VR design to come out with something comparable to the average Windows MR headset.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
my wishlist for this
1.be no more than $600 for the full package(headset+controllers+lighthouses)
2.sold on european amazons
3.be comfortable with glasses

have these 3 things and i will ditch my plans for the rift s as soon as possible

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah, if this comes in at 600 or less, it'll likely jump to the front of my list of wanted headsets. Hopefully we get some more details on things like specs and pricing really soon.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Depending on the tech, this could be really interesting. Without having to worry about HTC's bottom line, I also wonder if they'd be more willing to subsidize part of the cost ala consoles. We're entering the stage where the VR players are finally going to start pushing for the average person I feel. Gen 1 was for enthusiasts, gen 2 is going to push for the home.

I'm not quite ready to fork out money for a new VR system, but I do look forward to seeing what's on the horizon. I enjoyed my WMR for what it is, but I also know a lot more about VR's limitations... so I'm willing to wait it out another gen I think.
I think you need a killer app, low PC requirements, wireless and a fuss free setup under $300 to really grab the mainstream, and that's a big ask.

However, I do think there's a massive untapped audience in between earlier adopter and mainstream.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I think you need a killer app, low PC requirements, wireless and a fuss free setup under $300 to really grab the mainstream, and that's a big ask.

However, I do think there's a massive untapped audience in between earlier adopter and mainstream.
I agree with both of these.

I don't think Valve (or anyone really) is in a position to offer that "real mainstream" proposition at sufficient quality right now, but I believe there are a lot of people on the fence so far that the continuously growing VR library since consumer VR launch together with a high-quality decently priced platform could attract.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So will people with glasses need to wear glasses in this headset like the vive?

I hate wearing glasses inside a headset wish someone would do something about this

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to think we could be a few days away from finally learning all about the VR hardware and software Valve has been up to for years.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So will people with glasses need to wear glasses in this headset like the vive?

I hate wearing glasses inside a headset wish someone would do something about this

It's not the most convenient method (if sharing), but there are places where you can buy prescription lenses and swap out the stock ones on your HMD (at least for Vive and Oculus).

It's crazy to think we could be a few days away from finally learning all about the VR hardware and software Valve has been up to for years.

I suspect they wanna drip feed things so they make the maximum news cycles, but it would be hilarious if they did a massive news dump on April 1st. That'd be total Valve.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see this thing shipping with camera-based tracking. The reason? The friggin' controllers. The WMR headsets need those bright lights scattered all over the 'ring' to work properly, and unless the Knuckles ships with something similar, camera-based tracking is a non-starter.

In any case, though, hoo boy this will be interesting. The Knuckles alone are exciting, but if Valve really tries to make this competitive in terms of pricing, I'll buy it in a heartbeat, AUD exchange rate be damned.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see this thing shipping with camera-based tracking. The reason? The friggin' controllers. The WMR headsets need those bright lights scattered all over the 'ring' to work properly, and unless the Knuckles ships with something similar, camera-based tracking is a non-starter.

In any case, though, hoo boy this will be interesting. The Knuckles alone are exciting, but if Valve really tries to make this competitive in terms of pricing, I'll buy it in a heartbeat, AUD exchange rate be damned.

It all depends on whether they could incorporate a cheap, solid state "lighthouse" emitter behind that transparent face plate. Probably isn't feasible, but if it were to be done, that's how it would have to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.