• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
So I've took time to go throught Art of Ratchet, and I'm mixed.

On one hand, it's massive and over all a very good quality of print, layout (sometimes old art cut from paper and made like a collage on the pages) and it's well commented enough (not super insightful but every pages as a few lines of explanation about what is displayed and sometimes design/art notes, so I can't complain). It also has a few pages, apparently exclusives never seen/shown before artworks of two of their project transitioning from Spyro to Ratchet, the fist, Girl with a Stick, a plateformer looking strangely like Jak & Daxter, and Madi, a game where you would capture and train and grow beast, like pokemon but with the insomniac design. So that's, short but brillant (because I have NEVER heard of these). It's also very generous in real wip concepts, it's not only marketing ready level of concepts, so that's also cool, a lot of sketches.

The problem comes from the amount of games it has to cover. I mean, they did like 4 Ratchet on PS2, 5 or 6 on the PS3 and the PS4 reboot... That's obviously too much to fit into 248 pages. The book takes you along the creation process for characters, weapons, levels, ideas, and then go back to each episodes but there are only a few pages per episodes at best.

I think it does a great job at celebrating R&C as a whole, and especially Insomniac trademark monster design (tons of super dynamic mean but goofy cartoon looking creatures) but it might fall short on specifics if you are very into a specific episode or even planets arts. It's very much a focus on character design rather than level or world design, for the better or the worse, depending on your expectations.

Wow, thanks for that detailed and insightful review on the book! That does sound pretty good, I'm not familiar with the games but I've seen some nice concept art from them, I think I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on it. Thanks again for taking the time to share your view on it.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
So I've took time to go throught Art of Ratchet, and I'm mixed.

On one hand, it's massive and over all a very good quality of print, layout (sometimes old art cut from paper and made like a collage on the pages) and it's well commented enough (not super insightful but every pages as a few lines of explanation about what is displayed and sometimes design/art notes, so I can't complain). It also has a few pages, apparently exclusives never seen/shown before artworks of two of their project transitioning from Spyro to Ratchet, the fist, Girl with a Stick, a plateformer looking strangely like Jak & Daxter, and Madi, a game where you would capture and train and grow beast, like pokemon but with the insomniac design. So that's, short but brillant (because I have NEVER heard of these). It's also very generous in real wip concepts, it's not only marketing ready level of concepts, so that's also cool, a lot of sketches.

The problem comes from the amount of games it has to cover. I mean, they did like 4 Ratchet on PS2, 5 or 6 on the PS3 and the PS4 reboot... That's obviously too much to fit into 248 pages. The book takes you along the creation process for characters, weapons, levels, ideas, and then go back to each episodes but there are only a few pages per episodes at best.

I think it does a great job at celebrating R&C as a whole, and especially Insomniac trademark monster design (tons of super dynamic mean but goofy cartoon looking creatures) but it might fall short on specifics if you are very into a specific episode or even planets arts. It's very much a focus on character design rather than level or world design, for the better or the worse, depending on your expectations.

I love this level of insightful thought on the books you buy. I'd love to see more of this.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I love this level of insightful thought on the books you buy. I'd love to see more of this.

More of this book ? I can take a few pics if you want.

Or in general ? I tend to try to write up as much as I think people would bother to read. It gets buried in here but it's there somewhere lol

I really love these books and what's the point of sharing on a forum if it's not to write and read about them with and for others :)

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
More of this book ? I can take a few pics if you want.

Or in general ? I tend to try to write up as much as I think people would bother to read. It gets buried in here but it's there somewhere lol

I really love these books and what's the point of sharing on a forum if it's not to write and read about them with and for others :)

I just meant more in general. Whether it's new books or some particular favorites.

I'd love to know what you think of that Ayami Kojima you were talking about a few pages back for example.

Stuff like that. I think your love of video game concept art shines through, so the way speak about what you like and dislike would really resonate with me (and a lot of others i would think).

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I just meant more in general. Whether it's new books or some particular favorites.

I'd love to know what you think of that Ayami Kojima you were talking about a few pages back for example.

Stuff like that. I think your love of video game concept art shines through, so the way speak about what you like and dislike would really resonate with me (and a lot of others i would think).

This post will feature some truly NSFW to NSFL artworks, I'll spoiler everything but be warned

So, Ayami Kojipma's Santa Lilio Sangre.
0eF7tp9.jpg

To be clear, I have 0 history with the artist nor with her work. I think she's most famous for illustrating Castlevania but I never played any of these games I just watch the netflix show. Keep in my that I have no history nor special nostalgia for any of these artworks and they are all mostly alien to me so my appreciation will be based on the raw visuals rather than their meaning or history.

While I say this, I cannot say I never encountered her art before. Castlevania being so popular and famous, and her art so striking, when you see it, you remember it. Also, when I was in japan last time, when I wandered into akiba and saw this :

18076641_10154394783890969_5869842243895158734_o.jpg

It does make an impression on a man, no matter if he played these games or not lol

Anyway, back to the book. It's a collection of body horror, erotic violence, and beautiful japanese characters from the romance of the sengoku period, with some gothic influence with lots of castlevania art. I suspect there might be illustration for other games or novels too.

It opens with a series of pen brush collection of... body horror. This is the very first art you see when opening the book : (SUPER NSFW)

wfrqz5U.jpg

Now, that sets the tone alright. Look at how amazing this is. Beyond the first striking impression of body horror, what do you see ? Is it eating or hatching these man ? She looks like she's taking pleasure from it. Look at how her hair flows into the web pattern, acting as a floor and fading into pavement. Now look back and do you see the beautiful and striking contrast of the hupper and lower part of the composition with the black backdrop and white men but white floor/woman and black hair ? It's amazingly simple yet effective. And it's only the first art of this book.

Next page, another collection of pen brush and this one in particular I want to talk about :
K65msiI.jpg

Actually, I don't need to talk about it. I think it's striking enough to talk for itself. I think a lot of people will find this unconfortable to watch or will phased out a second on this one. It's evocative yet brutal enough to give anyone a gut reaction, isn't ?

Still in the early pages and in the gruesome body horror, this one is much simplier at first glance but as evocative as the others :

pVszrrU.jpg

I love how simple yet effective it is. I love the subtle muscle outlined by the shading in her back and arms, I love how the hands seems to claw out of the of negative space, I love the paint strokes on the lower right corner running out, like light and hope fading and it reinforce the dynamic composition of the piece (some movement to go with the arms)

Another three pen brush pieces, I have not much to talk about for these, but they are striking and original enough that I wanted to share :

CgGcSOt.jpg

qWRhm6q.jpg

Hyf7OYs.jpg

Jesus, I'm sorry for anyone clicking this post at random. I'm not a fan AT ALL of horror, this is maybe why I find these so interesting, because of my lack of exposition to this genre. Maybe some horror fans would want to comment on this ? What do you think of these ?

Last pen brush and SFW this time, look at how powerful this spread feels :

SuuViXc.jpg

Can you feel the wind howling around him, the energy and the darkness twisting from all around him ?

Let's go to color painting now, with at first, probably Kojima's interpretation of the famous Dream of the fisherman's wife :

VA5JDBX.jpg

Let's enjoy the brillant use of soft colors. First the muddy green backdrop and the floaty black hair, then the striking contrast with the white flowers and porcelain skin reflecting the colors of the octopus, making her cheeks light up. The lips as red and full of lust as the octopus itself, the tentacle as soft of the shade in the purity of the flowers and her face, giving up to the forbidden pleasure...

But if you are still reading this, it's because you wanted this :

yShkstb.jpg

again, I am not familiar with Castlevania but I've seen these enough around to feel something special. Look at how gorgeous this looks, how perfect, powerful, imposing and confident this looks. What a spread.

But I want to talk a bit about this one :

2PkpVw6.jpg

The whip tells me it might be from Castlevania too ? This part of the book seems very much all about Castlevania but again, I couldn't tell all. I want to talk about how great this works : obviously a beautiful hero (perfect white skin, androgyn looking face, golden hair, beautiful rich clothes) entrapped (surrounded, maybe even at the bottom of a pit) of dark walls, even in between him and us, with cryptic, esotheric engraving all over... this is a dark and foreign places, he does not belong there. Look at how the light (redemption ? salvation ?) lite up from above, look at his hands, receiving divine help, with a pose close to the monks... but not a hand, nor a sword (a sword of light would fit perfectly here isn't ?) but a whip he holds as close to his heart reinforcing its link to his weapon. Must be a Belmont. Very powerful stuff.

Another amazing piece :

4tnvNsW.jpg

Look at this composition. I'll get back to it on the next one. But look at it now. Look at the colors now. ALL THE FUCKING COLORS. This pieces boast ALL the colors in the world. There's gold, red, black, blue, green, yellow, brown even purple and yet none look out of place. She even got the girl gray eyes because fuck blonde kids with blue eyes right. (have you seen how Dracula's cape collar is drawn as its castle and horde of monsters, IN BLOOD ?! Truly amazing stuff)

Another amazing piece, this one spread :

8lHypjB.jpg

Sorry for the picture, couldn't fold the book more, so proportions look bad...
Now this one, I'm puzzled. I don't get it. The whip guy should be a Belmont thus the hero in Castlevania right ? But he's far from the bigger one here. Even Dracula is tiny... Who might be the tall one ? He looks like alucard but he has different cloth. Anyway, look at the composition here. Look how all the characters, monster, items, locations and informations are in there. This piece reads like a page of manga by itself. Look at how the spread of red on top still managed to drip down into the tubes on the left then on the draps and slowly loose intensity and it progress down the pages, fading into monsters. I love how the castle is lit in blood over the dark backdrop, it's a cool twist on the usual red sky and black shadow figure.

After Castlevania there another series of art but their origins are unknown to me :
dsqEIlz.jpg

I love this spread. Especially that wandering bride, her dress looks like she get lost for year in these forksaken woods, her veil or cape turned into bones, or is it the hand of death, slowy climbing to her ? Yet her face is still so beautiful but already pale as death. It's tragic and yet very telling. I love the soft use of orange to tone down the green vines and avoid give light to the brown woods.

Last but not least :
ZfUR8zN.jpg
This feel beautifully gruesome, yet again. From the mess of flesh tumbling down from the coffins to the floor, the stake blooming, the dead flowers at the bottom but the life among the skulls on the top... It's wonderfully weird and beautiful.

I skipped a lot of art based on japanese/ chinese characters, the sengoku or even edo period, not because I don't like it but because as beautiful as they are, I feel they aren't as original as this very narrow selection of 200 pages of arts.

Bonus :
cVtoKGQ.jpg
Can we talk about THAT ? Frank's in there too ! (from the Rocky Horror Picture Show)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This post will feature some truly NSFW to NSFL artworks, I'll spoiler everything but be warned

0eF7tp9.jpg

To be clear, I have 0 history with the artist nor with her work. I think she's most famous for illustrating Castlevania but I never played any of these games I just watch the netflix show. Keep in my that I have no history nor special nostalgia for any of these artworks and they are all mostly alien to me so my appreciation will be based on the raw visuals rather than their meaning or history.

While I say this, I cannot say I never encountered her art before. Castlevania being so popular and famous, and her art so striking, when you see it, you remember it. Also, when I was in japan last time, when I wandered into akiba and saw this :

It does make an impression on a man, no matter if he played these games or not lol

Anyway, back to the book. It's a collection of body horror, erotic violence, and beautiful japanese characters from the romance of the sengoku period, with some gothic influence with lots of castlevania art. I suspect there might be illustration for other games or novels too.

It opens with a series of pen brush collection of... body horror. This is the very first art you see when opening the book : (SUPER NSFW)

wfrqz5U.jpg

Now, that sets the tone alright. Look at how amazing this is. Beyond the first striking impression of body horror, what do you see ? Is it eating or hatching these man ? She looks like she's taking pleasure from it. Look at how her hair flows into the web pattern, acting as a floor and fading into pavement. Now look back and do you see the beautiful and striking contrast of the hupper and lower part of the composition with the black backdrop and white men but white floor/woman and black hair ? It's amazingly simple yet effective. And it's only the first art of this book.

Next page, another collection of pen brush and this one in particular I want to talk about :
K65msiI.jpg

Actually, I don't need to talk about it. I think it's striking enough to talk for itself. I think a lot of people will find this unconfortable to watch or will phased out a second on this one. It's evocative yet brutal enough to give anyone a gut reaction, isn't ?

Still in the early pages and in the gruesome body horror, this one is much simplier at first glance but as evocative as the others :

pVszrrU.jpg

I love how simple yet effective it is. I love the subtle muscle outlined by the shading in her back and arms, I love how the hands seems to claw out of the of negative space, I love the paint strokes on the lower right corner running out, like light and hope fading and it reinforce the dynamic composition of the piece (some movement to go with the arms)

Another three pen brush pieces, I have not much to talk about for these, but they are striking and original enough that I wanted to share :

CgGcSOt.jpg

qWRhm6q.jpg

Hyf7OYs.jpg

Jesus, I'm sorry for anyone clicking this post at random. I'm not a fan AT ALL of horror, this is maybe why I find these so interesting, because of my lack of exposition to this genre. Maybe some horror fans would want to comment on this ? What do you think of these ?

SuuViXc.jpg

Can you feel the wind howling around him, the energy and the darkness twisting from all around him ?

Let's go to color painting now, with at first, probably Kojima's interpretation of the famous Dream of the fisherman's wife :

VA5JDBX.jpg

Let's enjoy the brillant use of soft colors. First the muddy green backdrop and the floaty black hair, then the striking contrast with the white flowers and porcelain skin reflecting the colors of the octopus, making her cheeks light up. The lips as red and full of lust as the octopus itself, the tentacle as soft of the shade in the purity of the flowers and her face, giving up to the forbidden pleasure...

yShkstb.jpg

again, I am not familiar with Castlevania but I've seen these enough around to feel something special. Look at how gorgeous this looks, how perfect, powerful, imposing and confident this looks. What a spread.

2PkpVw6.jpg

The whip tells me it might be from Castlevania too ? This part of the book seems very much all about Castlevania but again, I couldn't tell all. I want to talk about how great this works : obviously a beautiful hero (perfect white skin, androgyn looking face, golden hair, beautiful rich clothes) entrapped (surrounded, maybe even at the bottom of a pit) of dark walls, even in between him and us, with cryptic, esotheric engraving all over... this is a dark and foreign places, he does not belong there. Look at how the light (redemption ? salvation ?) lite up from above, look at his hands, receiving divine help, with a pose close to the monks... but not a hand, nor a sword (a sword of light would fit perfectly here isn't ?) but a whip he holds as close to his heart reinforcing its link to his weapon. Must be a Belmont. Very powerful stuff.

Another amazing piece :

4tnvNsW.jpg

Look at this composition. I'll get back to it on the next one. But look at it now. Look at the colors now. ALL THE FUCKING COLORS. This pieces boast ALL the colors in the world. There's gold, red, black, blue, green, yellow, brown even purple and yet none look out of place. She even got the girl gray eyes because fuck blonde kids with blue eyes right. (have you seen how Dracula's cape collar is drawn as its castle and horde of monsters, IN BLOOD ?! Truly amazing stuff)

8lHypjB.jpg

Now this one, I'm puzzled. I don't get it. The whip guy should be a Belmont thus the hero in Castlevania right ? But he's far from the bigger one here. Even Dracula is tiny... Who might be the tall one ? He looks like alucard but he has different cloth. Anyway, look at the composition here. Look how all the characters, monster, items, locations and informations are in there. This piece reads like a page of manga by itself. Look at how the spread of red on top still managed to drip down into the tubes on the left then on the draps and slowly loose intensity and it progress down the pages, fading into monsters. I love how the castle is lit in blood over the dark backdrop, it's a cool twist on the usual red sky and black shadow figure.

After Castlevania there another series of art but their origins are unknown to me :
dsqEIlz.jpg

I love this spread. Especially that wandering bride, her dress looks like she get lost for year in these forksaken woods, her veil or cape turned into bones, or is it the hand of death, slowy climbing to her ? Yet her face is still so beautiful but already pale as death. It's tragic and yet very telling. I love the soft use of orange to tone down the green vines and avoid give light to the brown woods.

Last but not least :
ZfUR8zN.jpg
This feel beautifully gruesome, yet again. From the mess of flesh tumbling down from the coffins to the floor, the stake blooming, the dead flowers at the bottom but the life among the skulls on the top... It's wonderfully weird and beautiful.

I skipped a lot of art based on japanese/ chinese characters, the sengoku or even edo period, not because I don't like it but because as beautiful as they are, I feel they aren't as original as this very narrow selection of 200 pages of arts.

Bonus :
cVtoKGQ.jpg
Can we talk about THAT ? Frank's in there too ! (from the Rocky Horror Picture Show)
Wow, I looove these! Wish I could find Santa Lilio Sangre priced reasonably.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017

0eF7tp9.jpg

wfrqz5U.jpg

K65msiI.jpg

pVszrrU.jpg

CgGcSOt.jpg

qWRhm6q.jpg

Hyf7OYs.jpg

SuuViXc.jpg

VA5JDBX.jpg

yShkstb.jpg

2PkpVw6.jpg

Another amazing piece :

4tnvNsW.jpg

8lHypjB.jpg

dsqEIlz.jpg

Last but not least :
ZfUR8zN.jpg

Bonus :
cVtoKGQ.jpg

I think you just made my favourite post on Era, ever. Thanks so much for this. Truly incredible art. I had no idea she also did all this body shock stuff.

i LOOOOOOVE this.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Ohh... Santa Lilio Sangre... the book I search up on ebay every once in a while.... that teases me with it's $300+ price tag. Why look at that... it's gonna tease me here on ERA, too. :p

Always enjoy reading your write-ups. Thanks for sharing.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice writeup UnluckyKate, Santo Lilio Sangre is probably one of the best artbook purchases you can make. If only it weren't so expensive.

Would there be interest in a comprehensive review of the various Amano books?

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
FINAL FANTASY XIV: STORMBLOOD | ART OF THE REVOLUTION - EASTERN MEMORIES

d4875e63b4ba78c0544cc2ba20931015_310_KR.jpg

Was just announced during Fanfest.

Release date: May 15, 2019
Artbook will feature 304 pages, will cover from patches 4.2 to 4.5.

Comes with a Tataru minion.

56ce951fbec8f550d5cd29f1ee6ca62c_KR_369.jpg

The cover for the book is done by another artist presumably Yusuke Mogi.

The cover for the previous artbooks were all dobe by Kazuya Takahashi except for the first.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017

The cover for the previous artbooks were all dobe by Kazuya Takahashi except for the first.
All of the FFXIV art books are a sheer visual treat on the eyes. Will definitely be adding it to my collection. The only snag with these books recently is that SE have restricted the sale of them to their store, at least in Europe.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix might take forever to release games, but the soundtracks and books get cranked out like clockwork.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
All of the FFXIV art books are a sheer visual treat on the eyes. Will definitely be adding it to my collection. The only snag with these books recently is that SE have restricted the sale of them to their store, at least in Europe.

I was looking to buy some artbooks of FFXIV but sadly the store of SE in Europe only have the Stormblood one.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
You can buy the books from Amazon Japan or CD Japan.

First 2 Artbooks are totally identical, they feature both Japanese and English text.

The Stormblood one has a commentary section on the last 2 pages I guess that are only in Japanese if you buy from Japanese websites. However, the art pieces and everything else is similar.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Not gaming, but I recently received the Jeremy Geddes book which covers a decade of his work and it's pretty great:

F4Vbq7P.jpg

SlZjfo3.jpg

kB2ahlR.jpg

DdRbWyT.jpg

L01iR0A.jpg

ux0wZqa.jpg

Skbzi

Jun 1, 2018
Katy, TX
UnluckyKate: That post with the Castlevania art book was amazing. Unfortunately, it is well out of my price range unless theres someone selling it for a good price.

Can anyone recommend something a tad cheaper but Castlevania related? Thanks.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Are these you pics? They look amazing. I saw the book but the price was prohibitive for me haha I hope you enjoy it. How's the print and assembly quality?

Yeah, they're mine, thanks :) The quality is absolutely top notch. Really heavy paper, superb printing, the binding seems sturdy as well. The only tiny gripe I have is that I'd want a slightly bigger format. But taking into account that it's a signed and numbered edition, the total price (just under 100€ including shipping) is more than fair.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they're mine, thanks :) The quality is absolutely top notch. Really heavy paper, superb printing, the binding seems sturdy as well. The only tiny gripe I have is that I'd want a slightly bigger format. But taking into account that it's a signed and numbered edition, the total price (just under 100€ including shipping) is more than fair.

Yeah maybe you are right it's still in the higher price but the if quality and value satisfy you then it's all good. On my part Im struggling to find room for more books right now. I'll need to think hard about how to fit another bookshelf or reorganize everything. So from now, I'm on book diet. Let's see how long I'll last :D

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
UnluckyKate: That post with the Castlevania art book was amazing. Unfortunately, it is well out of my price range unless theres someone selling it for a good price.

Can anyone recommend something a tad cheaper but Castlevania related? Thanks.

The two Lord of Shadows books are fairly cheap, but no Kojima pieces.

The Portrait of Ruin 20th Anniversary edition came with a 48-page book, but I haven't seen what it looks like inside.

taZE0b0.jpg

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land

Comes with a Tataru minion.

56ce951fbec8f550d5cd29f1ee6ca62c_KR_369.jpg

these are my absolute favourite series of books, each one is great. just picked up the eorzea encyclopedia II, which is also fantastic.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested for sure, I love me some Amano.

Ask and you shall receive.

hntwxzOl.jpg

Alright, so Maten is Yoshitaka Amano's first published artbook. It was published in 1984, when he was only 32 years old. This was after leaving Tatsunoko Productions to work as a fulltime freelance illustrator. Fantasy author Michael Moorcock's novels often featured Amano's artwork for their Japanese editions. This book contains some of the first published illustrations of Vampire Hunter D, as well as a few of the pieces created for S-F Magazine. According to his biography Beyond the Fantasy, S-F Magazine gave him a few pages each month to draw whatever he liked. Due to the limitations of black and white pages, Amano worked solely in ink for this feature.

My favorite thing about this book is how vivid the colors are. You could say that about what Amano is doing nowadays, but some of these pieces are blindingly saturated. You can see how he has begun to work in acrylic washes although he works opaquely in many paintings. During this time period, he is clearly inspired by western illustration. His character's eyes are still wide open, and he hasn't started working with gold leaf.

I have chosen a few pieces to demonstrate his style in the early 80s. You can see hints of his future style, from the acrylic washes and experimentation with thinner eyes and flowing hair. The size of the paintings is noted at the bottom. Even today, his commissioned works are within the range of 21x29 inches.

ISBN: 4-257-03185-9, this book can typically be found for less than $30. 91 pages.

EFi2jJZ.jpg
JwmjaKB.jpg
J0z9Ssy.jpg
HgDbbTc.jpg

Last edited:

ClayStatue

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 artbook is available for preorder again.
Any Aussies know of a good site/service to get Japan stuff sent here? Haven't used amazon in a while and it seems the shipping block is still ongoing.

Jijidasu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The nearly 600-page Monster Hunter World artbook-slash-encyclopedia released late last week here. I picked it up yesterday on the way home and it's a real big boy. Only complaint is that at 600 pages it would have worked nicer as a hardcover, as heavy softbacks tend to bend, also the price is nearly as much as the game (5400 yen); so again, hardback would have been nice (I might try do it myself, actually).

Some phone snaps:

Dyoz8k-UwAArbkY.jpg

Dyoz8ZVU0AM4Mvu.jpg

Dyoz8cHU8AEnuTN.jpg

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Wulfric Wonderful post, I have the Sky box set and was wondering what other Amano books to get.
Jijidasu Is there a lot of 2d art? I have the other MH artbooks but would totally be down for more 2d monster hunter concept art.

Not game related but I just learned that there's going to be a Hellboy cover collection!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The nearly 600-page Monster Hunter World artbook-slash-encyclopedia released late last week here. I picked it up yesterday on the way home and it's a real big boy. Only complaint is that at 600 pages it would have worked nicer as a hardcover, as heavy softbacks tend to bend, also the price is nearly as much as the game (5400 yen); so again, hardback would have been nice (I might try do it myself, actually).

Some phone snaps:

Dyoz8k-UwAArbkY.jpg

Dyoz8ZVU0AM4Mvu.jpg

Dyoz8cHU8AEnuTN.jpg
I'm really tempted to pick this up, but there's a ton of text, and I'm apprehensive that it will get localized at some point. Then again, the large amount of text (just based on screenshots I've seen) might mean it's less likely to get localized anyway. Would you recommend it for a semi casual Monster Hunter fan?

Jijidasu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'm really tempted to pick this up, but there's a ton of text, and I'm apprehensive that it will get localized at some point. Then again, the large amount of text (just based on screenshots I've seen) might mean it's less likely to get localized anyway. Would you recommend it for a semi casual Monster Hunter fan?

It does have a lot of text, but a large share of the illustrations and so on speak for themselves (design foundations, inspiration, etc). I also usually don't read these books in their entirety and find immense value in the illustrations themselves. I think it's a good buy if you collect books!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It does have a lot of text, but a large share of the illustrations and so on speak for themselves (design foundations, inspiration, etc). I also usually don't read these books in their entirety and find immense value in the illustrations themselves. I think it's a good buy if you collect books!
Sounds right up my alley, thanks for the impressions.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

Some phone snaps:

Dyoz8k-UwAArbkY.jpg

Dyoz8ZVU0AM4Mvu.jpg

Dyoz8cHU8AEnuTN.jpg

that looks great 600 pages my god

Apr 19, 2018
I don't own it myself, but there was a separate art book released that covers both Seiken 4/Dawn of Mana and Children of Mana -- which are the titles most affected by the truncated format in the 25th Anniversary book. After seeing what it looks like by way of Parka Blogs' site, I'm halfway convinced I need to pick this one up as well.

So after picking up that "Secret of Mana 4 and Children of Mana Development Artworks", I'm disappointed to say that the art content is more or less exactly the same as the 25th Anniversary book -- and in most cases, just as truncated (sometimes even more so) due to the book's smaller sized format. Granted, some of the key pieces of art come off as brighter and more vibrant looking when directly compared to the same pieces in the 25th Anniversary book; I couldn't say if there was some sort of color grading or enhancing involved between the two versions, but I do prefer the 25th Anniversary's more natural pastel-like coloration overall.

There's plenty of supplementary material for Japanese readers in the SoM4/CoM book, but if you're solely interested in the art work, I'd say the 25h Anniversary book is still the way to go.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is the artbooks for Alan Wake that Prima published alongside the guidebook? Found a sealed copy for under $12, but wasn't sure if it was worth the the space they'd take up.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the word on the Japanese Mario Odyssey artbook? It looks pretty fantastic from what I've seen, but not being able to read any of it seems like a dealbreaker. Problem is I don't know that I could be patient enough to wait 1-2 years for an eventual Dark Horse translated release, that is if it ever gets one at all.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Argh, having a hard time justifying the new Heartstone book when I already have the old WoW TCG artbook plus the Art of Blizzard book. Is there a lot of overlap?

qrt103Dl.jpg

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I've been looking for the Dark Souls artbook for quite awhile now. I'm not ready to buy one from ebay yet for 150+ dollars. I've pre-ordered one from amazon.com which is "temporarily" out of stock and I'm not sure when it's going to be shipped out.

I've tried reaching out to Udon entertainment but haven't heard back from them. Any advice for how to get my hands on the Dark Souls book? Should I just keep waiting with amazon in hopes they will ship it out soon?

Dark Souls Artbook on Amazon

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for the Dark Souls artbook for quite awhile now. I'm not ready to buy one from ebay yet for 150+ dollars. I've pre-ordered one from amazon.com which is "temporarily" out of stock and I'm not sure when it's going to be shipped out.

I've tried reaching out to Udon entertainment but haven't heard back from them. Any advice for how to get my hands on the Dark Souls book? Should I just keep waiting with amazon in hopes they will ship it out soon?

Dark Souls Artbook on Amazon

Have you tried other regional Amazon sites? Amazon Spain has it on stock for 32€.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Have you tried other regional Amazon sites? Amazon Spain has it on stock for 32€.

Just looked it up. Unfortunately it does not ship to Canada. Thanks for the suggestion though! I'll keep looking.

The U.S amazon website is still leaving me with a glimmer of hope that it will be in stock soon enough.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I ran across a copy of The Art of Grasshopper Manufacture the other day for $1, so I bought it. First art book ever, but that turned out to be an awesome find. It even has 2 postcards of NMH and NMH2 signed by Suda51 tucked inside it!

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Zelda Encyclopedia is pretty amazing. Normally I'm not into collecting things but suddenly have the urge to grab something for Soulsbourne. Any recommendations on best books for Dark Souls or Bloodbourne. Noticed there's a lot of options.

Oct 31, 2017

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Kinokuniya is crazy expensive no matter which location you go to. I don't think I've ever seen them sell used books.