• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Last night, I had a quest where I had to follow 3 people. 3 people that walked slower than my 2 year old does. And there was nothing to do the entire time. It probably took them a whole 2 minutes to get to where they were going. 2 minutes where I could have just parked myself on a building and watched where they were going.

What the hell were they thinking with some of these quests? For another mission, I had to pick up 3 people and move their bodies somewhere else. Real compelling gameplay.

Sadly, stuff like that is overshadowing the good quests because now I'm actively afraid that my next sidequest is going to involve something so mind numbing and boring that I just won't want to do it.
Was it the quest about bringing corpses so a relative could identify it?
Anyway i finished the ritualistic murders quest chain, i gotta say i really liked the final place and it promised of something sinister but then the conflict was resolved in a 10s fight with a lunatic , and that is it, thats real shame. The build up and the overall set up was probably the best thing out of all these side quests.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing for almost 40 hours, think I'm almost done (maybe like an hour or so left to go) and the story has just seriously shit the bed IMO. Up until this point it was kinda like "yeah, okay, could be better but it's alright" and now it's more like "yeah, all these writers did was watch the 1963 Cleopatra movie and do a bad rehash of that" (when it comes to the Cleopatra subplot, that is). It's so awfully cliché, lame and historically inaccurate, not to mention terribly paced. I'll probably share some more detailed impressions once I'm actually done with the game but at least story-wise, this is as bad as all the previous games (since Revelations and/or III). It's incredible how Ubisoft manages to keep picking all these great, interesting historical periods and then squandering all of the storytelling potential they offer.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I've put a lot more time into the game and have been in Alexandria for a bit and I'm finding myself liking the game less. I still enjoy exploring and walking around the world, but the writing is goddamn terrible and the combat is never going to feel good. First, let me just rehash my thoughts on the combat, it's garbage. I've got a better grip on Bayek's janky controls and have unlocked plenty of abilities, but all this just reveals the combat to be as shallow as it is. There just isn't any challenge, you execute the same moves over and over as you just mash your way through each encounter. And, "difficulty" only comes from the levels of your enemies. If they're too high a level then it's near impossible to win as you must land hundreds of hits on them, meanwhile, one hit from them will automatically kill you.

As I said before, stealth seems to be the only enjoyable aspect of gameplay for me. I do enjoy trying to infiltrate an area as sneakily as possible, dropping guards, and executing my targets before anyone knows I was even there. But, I have my own complaints about this as well. First, I have to reiterate my hated for Senu, he robs all challenge out of trying to sneak into an area. And yes, while he is technically "optional," the game berates you if you don't use him and certain objectives will only be revealed until you use Senu. Second, I dislike that I can't simply knock enemies out. Yes, you have that ability at the start, but once you get the hidden blade it replaces that option. Maybe I don't want to execute a bunch of guards just doing there job, maybe I just want to knock them out long enough to reach my target. Sorry, Bayek doesn't give a shit, everyone dies.

As far as the story, I've just met up with Cleopatra and I have to say I find the story extremely poor so far and Bayek lifeless and boring. Like, has there ever been an AC game where the main characters reason for hunting down individuals wasn't revenge for a slain family member besides AC1? Bayek's backstory is so worn out at this point it's hard to feel engaged, especially when it's following all the similar story beats from past games. What;s that you say, the people I'm killing are hinting that they are in the right and I may not know the full story behind what I'm doing? Color me shocked. What's weird is how the game attempts to hide his backstory at the start as opposed to having the game start with Bayek's past. I guess they didn't want to rip too hard from AC2? Yet, all this does is further disconnect the player from Bayek, why should I care about his son who I'm only just learning he had hours later into the game.

Lastly, I just can't take Bayek and this world he inhabits seriously. This is a problem with many of the characters in AC games but shines through particularly here, characters don't react to events as the way they should, especially given their time period. Bayek's meeting with Cleopatra sort of sealed the deal in this regard for me. He's told by the person setting up the meeting to bow and do certain courtesies when he meets Cleopatra. Bayek does none of these things and mocks the guy when he forgets to do so upon meeting Cleopatra. Why is this such a problem for me? Well, first, Bayek is presented as a godly man. He believes in the Gods of Ancient Egypt. Yet, when meeting Egyptian Royalty, essentially a GOD on Earth, he acts like a fucking asshole and even gets uppity with Cleopatra. Again, Cleopatra is of the Royal Bloodline and sees herself as the rightful Pharaoh of Egypt. Bayek should naturally be on his knees bowing before her. Yet, here he is, mocking such courtesies. It completely takes you out of this world. I've yet to encounter Bayek's views on slavery yet but I'm willing to bet that he is somehow against the practice of slavery in an age where slavery was natural and everyone supported it. So much for being historically accurate.

And, I'll finally just complain about the side quests. Everyone has already stated it before but I'll just restate it, they suck. While the initial context of the side quest might sound interesting, the end result is always the same. Rescue a person or kill a person. There is no quest variety, it's all the same. And, there are a TON of these filler side quests.

Any way, end rant.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They must have planned a dialog tree but scrapped it the last minute. There's a lot of times that Bayek would be like yeah let me try and talk to him and see if he changes his mind, but nope your only task is just to kill him. There's no conversation even before the assassination with the target.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Do they pop up as a marker on the map or do I actually have to look for them?

There's an add-on you can purchase in the shop that will add map markers for tombs, rock formations and the like, but otherwise they are unmarked until you get close. When you see a glittering light-gold colored question mark pop up on your compass at the top of the screen, you'll know one of these things is close.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I just want to make sure I've been doing this right but the shield icons below the locations on the map are the recommended level for that area?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they pop up as a marker on the map or do I actually have to look for them?

Tombs are the only thing in the game that I know of that don't appear as ? on the map unless you're within range of them. But like freez said above you can purchase a map that will place them on yours. Everyone gets 200 helix credits free and that map conveniently costs 200 credits!

Don't worry about any of the other location maps they have on sale you can find all those as regular ? marks.

Oct 30, 2017
Is there ever any quest variation? I just met
Cleopatra
, completing a number of side quests along the way, and so far everything seems a bit samey.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the stone circle sidequest, one of the better collectathons I've experienced in in an open world game. They managed to put the circles in interesting places, the reminiscing that Bayek experiences as you solve the puzzles is interesting, the graphical representation of the emerging zodiac is beautiful and the pay-off was emotionally satisfying and well done.

You don't need to go out of your way to do it sequentially but it's nice to dip into when you get the chance.

I hope you heard the Conan Easter egg.
Papo, what is best in life?

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
As I said before, stealth seems to be the only enjoyable aspect of gameplay for me. I do enjoy trying to infiltrate an area as sneakily as possible, dropping guards, and executing my targets before anyone knows I was even there. But, I have my own complaints about this as well. First, I have to reiterate my hated for Senu, he robs all challenge out of trying to sneak into an area. And yes, while he is technically "optional," the game berates you if you don't use him and certain objectives will only be revealed until you use Senu. Second, I dislike that I can't simply knock enemies out. Yes, you have that ability at the start, but once you get the hidden blade it replaces that option. Maybe I don't want to execute a bunch of guards just doing there job, maybe I just want to knock them out long enough to reach my target. Sorry, Bayek doesn't give a shit, everyone dies.
Just passing along the same advice I got here after making a similar gripe. You can always equip "unarmed" as a melee weapon type, and when you have that as your active melee weapon then hidden blade assassinations become nonlethal takedowns, just like it was in the game's early going.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tombs appear on the map as golden pulsing question marks, but so do hermit locations, war elephants and probably stone circles - though I only noticed it after I got all the stone circles so not sure about those.
A good way to be sure that you are looking at a tomb is to look for two golden question marks, because that means that you're looking at a tomb and a
Those Who Came Before tomb/vault/whatever

Although not all tombs are like this.

There is also an in-game map of all the stone circles (and I'm not taking about the one you can buy) , you can find it
in the Great Sphinx

blackgandorf

Oct 27, 2017
The last AC game that I finished was Black Flag. I want to buy Origins by the end of month but I was thinking, how much story is realted with specifically events in Unity and Syndicate? Is better play these first? or can I just jump right away with Origins?

Oct 27, 2017
Last night, I had a quest where I had to follow 3 people. 3 people that walked slower than my 2 year old does. And there was nothing to do the entire time. It probably took them a whole 2 minutes to get to where they were going. 2 minutes where I could have just parked myself on a building and watched where they were going.

What the hell were they thinking with some of these quests? For another mission, I had to pick up 3 people and move their bodies somewhere else. Real compelling gameplay.

Sadly, stuff like that is overshadowing the good quests because now I'm actively afraid that my next sidequest is going to involve something so mind numbing and boring that I just won't want to do it.

They were probably thinking about the culture of the people at that time in history. You're performing a service in reverence to the mourning.

This game really can't win. It starts by playing immediately, no long linear tutorial that often rankles people, and people are confused about the story. It's open world with pyramids, so as soon as they loom in the horizon people just want to go there. The early side quests in Yuma and Alexandria show Bayek's religious and municipal sides, but people just want to start assassinating regardless of time and place, even though they wanted more of this context in the beginning. Surrounding Lake Mareotis alone there are many forts with all different layouts to plan and perform assassinations, and people are wondering when the cool ones are coming. What's missing here?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I can think of is how the hell do you meet up with people in an age of no clocks, phones, etc.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The combat is janky as fuck.

And good god no (early game spoilers):
Fucking modern day animus bullshit again. With two terribly annoying characters to boot. Kill me. Anyone look on the laptop? Someone actually wrote all of that stuff. All of it. I can't even imagine bothering to read it all. Apologies to the poor soul who wasted their time writing that crap.

Deliro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people who criticize the activities in side quest also think that Witcher 3's side quests are bad? I don't remember the Witcher quests boiling down to more than that. There is only so much you can do, so it's always all about contextualisation of your actions.
Not that I think that most of Origins quests have a good story behind them, far from it, but I'm surprised that people criticize the go there, kill that structure.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do people who criticize the activities in side quest also think that Witcher 3's side quests are bad? I don't remember the Witcher quests boiling down to more than that. There is only so much you can do, so it's always all about contextualisation of your actions.
Not that I think that most of Origins quests have a good story behind them, far from it, but I'm surprised that people criticize the go there, kill that structure.

And it's that context of those quests that clouds the repetitive nature of the side quests so well. The pattern of The Witcher 3's quest design is painfully noticeable but the good writing carries it all the way through and makes those quests memorable. Although for Origins, good writing is seemingly absent. It also helped that TW3 emphasized making choices in some quests that actually had consequences as well.

But hey, I'm at least having fun accidentally burning my own ship while fighting a horde of hippos in the water, so there is at least some fun in screwing around. I didn't expect this game to be anywhere near as good as The Witcher.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I've put a lot more time into the game and have been in Alexandria for a bit and I'm finding myself liking the game less. I still enjoy exploring and walking around the world, but the writing is goddamn terrible and the combat is never going to feel good. First, let me just rehash my thoughts on the combat, it's garbage. I've got a better grip on Bayek's janky controls and have unlocked plenty of abilities, but all this just reveals the combat to be as shallow as it is. There just isn't any challenge, you execute the same moves over and over as you just mash your way through each encounter. And, "difficulty" only comes from the levels of your enemies. If they're too high a level then it's near impossible to win as you must land hundreds of hits on them, meanwhile, one hit from them will automatically kill you.

As far as the story, I've just met up with Cleopatra and I have to say I find the story extremely poor so far and Bayek lifeless and boring. Like, has there ever been an AC game where the main characters reason for hunting down individuals wasn't revenge for a slain family member besides AC1? Bayek's backstory is so worn out at this point it's hard to feel engaged, especially when it's following all the similar story beats from past games. What;s that you say, the people I'm killing are hinting that they are in the right and I may not know the full story behind what I'm doing? Color me shocked. What's weird is how the game attempts to hide his backstory at the start as opposed to having the game start with Bayek's past. I guess they didn't want to rip too hard from AC2? Yet, all this does is further disconnect the player from Bayek, why should I care about his son who I'm only just learning he had hours later into the game.

Lastly, I just can't take Bayek and this world he inhabits seriously. This is a problem with many of the characters in AC games but shines through particularly here, characters don't react to events as the way they should, especially given their time period. Bayek's meeting with Cleopatra sort of sealed the deal in this regard for me. He's told by the person setting up the meeting to bow and do certain courtesies when he meets Cleopatra. Bayek does none of these things and mocks the guy when he forgets to do so upon meeting Cleopatra. Why is this such a problem for me? Well, first, Bayek is presented as a godly man. He believes in the Gods of Ancient Egypt. Yet, when meeting Egyptian Royalty, essentially a GOD on Earth, he acts like a fucking asshole and even gets uppity with Cleopatra. Again, Cleopatra is of the Royal Bloodline and sees herself as the rightful Pharaoh of Egypt. Bayek should naturally be on his knees bowing before her. Yet, here he is, mocking such courtesies. It completely takes you out of this world. I've yet to encounter Bayek's views on slavery yet but I'm willing to bet that he is somehow against the practice of slavery in an age where slavery was natural and everyone supported it. So much for being historically accurate.

And, I'll finally just complain about the side quests. Everyone has already stated it before but I'll just restate it, they suck. While the initial context of the side quest might sound interesting, the end result is always the same. Rescue a person or kill a person. There is no quest variety, it's all the same. And, there are a TON of these filler side quests.

Any way, end rant.
At the same spot in story, feel the opposite. Like the game more and more as it goes on and more characters come to the plate.

Initially i had the same opinion as you regarding combat (wich is a crucial thing in such type of games or in games in general for me), but now i really like it. It is janky at times, but EVERY open world game has jankiness attached to it. Origins IMO is very equilibrate and offers a wide range of gameplay activities in an ancient world.
This world is really huge and suffers from open world problems like every other open world before.
And i honestly don't understand critizism towards repetition that the majority of quests end in a fight. In fact this is true, but then again: tell me only one game of this type where this isn't the case.. even the witcher 3, that i consider the GOAT, concludes 80% of quest in fights.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
So anyone played the (inaudible) parts of the dialog during the precursor tombs/artifacts to see if they have any meaning?

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people who criticize the activities in side quest also think that Witcher 3's side quests are bad?
I'm criticizing quests that are boring. Pick up this person and carry them. Follow these people who walk really really slow. Hold V to find the yellow triangles. I'd gladly take more quests that boiled down to "go here and kill this stuff."

For what it's worth, I also hated following footprints and aroma trails in The Witcher 3.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
At the same spot in story, feel the opposite. Like the game more and more as it goes on and more characters come to the plate.

Initially i had the same opinion as you regarding combat (wich is a crucial thing in such type of games or in games in general for me), but now i really like it. It is janky at times, but EVERY open world game has jankiness attached to it. Origins IMO is very equilibrate and offers a wide range of gameplay activities in an ancient world.
This world is really huge and suffers from open world problems like every other open world before.
And i honestly don't understand critizism towards repetition that the majority of quests end in a fight. In fact this is true, but then again: tell me only one game of this type where this isn't the case.. even the witcher 3, that i consider the GOAT, concludes 80% of quest in fights.

It's not that the quests end it fights, it's that it is the same type of fight at the end of every quest. That doesn't happen in The Witcher 3 or any good RPG. In The Witcher 3 you might be tasked with finding out what happened to a husband's missing wife. Yet, the next thing you know you're fighting a werewolf, and then you discover the werewolf is the husband and that he was tricked into killing his wife by his sister-in-law so that she could marry him. At which point, the player has to decide whether he should allow the werewolf to kill his sister-in-law for this betrayal or to stop him. That's how pretty much every quest in TW3 goes, you're given an initial basic task, things get turned on their head, and you usually get a moral decision at the end.

I should also point out that it is also why people never minded the recycled side-quest environment in Mass Effect 1. It's because the quest variety made many look past these recycled environments. Yes, you were usually shooting things at the end. But, the context was always different and afforded different ways to tackle them. One base might be about tracking down a ruthless pirate band leader. Upon which you might be able to reason with them to turn themselves in or gun them down in a cold manner. Then, at another identical looking base on another planet, you'd be reasoning with a biotic cultist leader about the best way to aid his people in a tense political stand-off situation. While each quest superficially looked samey, the overall context and control over how they played out was vastly different.

With Origins that's not the case, it's "help me Medjya bandits took my son!" You go to the bandit camp, kill all the bandits, the son returns home. There is no variety, no twists, and no conversation to be had at the end complete with choice. It's the same situation repeated endlessly, kill bandits or kill bandits and rescue thing. Shit, in TW3 you had a whole side quest that involved assassinating a King, part of which started with you having to reason with two cave trolls. Again, nothing like that exists in Origins.

Last edited:

Zeus The Dino

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man this game needs a codex so bad
I have so many questions, why are the greeks in egypt? Why they treating egyptians like dirt? Who are all these different gods?

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Man this game needs a codex so bad
I have so many questions, why are the greeks in egypt? Why they treating egyptians like dirt? Who are all these different gods?

Alexandria is a city founded by Greeks and the Ptolemaic Dynasty was founded by Ptolemy, a Greek general in the army of Alexander the Great. Official business in Egypt at the time was mainly concluded in Greek, it was the language of administration and of the nobility as well.

Basically after the death of Alexander the Great his empire was split in several parts divided across his generals, google the successor kingdoms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenistic_period

Last edited:

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
I like this game a lot but there are way to many side quests and there not interesting at all that's the biggest issue with the game so far also the world is maybe to big lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there are no cave trolls in a game that's a historical simulator. But they are adding giant gods to fight, so maybe that will be more to your liking. Maybe not.

And there are plenty of go here kill this "quests" but they're called locations. You get to decide how you want to take these enemies on...Stealth. Fire. Melee. Arrows, some of which you can set on fire or magically steer. Attack from above. From below. Mounted. On foot. Set traps. Make a dude go berserk, or take a nap. Attract animals or release them from cages. If they set off the alarm brazier and the Phylake sees it, you might be in trouble, make sure you know the escape routes. More planning and options here than there ever were, even than the assassinations in the first AC game.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
What are the chances they patch the debug beard/hair toggle out and we're stuck with lame clean shaven Bayek...

I know, I shouldn't give them ideas.

Zeus The Dino

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Alexandria is a city founded by Greeks and the Ptolemaic Dynasty was founded by Ptolemy, a Greek general in the army of Alexander the Great. Official business in Egypt at the time was mainly concluded in Greek, it was the language of administration and of the nobility as well.

Basically after the death of Alexander the Great his empire was split in several parts divided across his generals, google the successor kingdoms.
thanks
will do some more research

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, the animations arent as great as unity
also it irks me theres no option to slide over waist high objects like in previous games
you have to step on it then down
There's also the lack of the advanced parkour options like ledge jumping. Doesn't feel as fluid.

Upside is it seems like you can climb anything in this game. Even the smoothest looking walls lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ubi's current design philosophy is to rely less on cinematic story beats, (those beats still exist ofc but this is a VERY far cry™ from the incredibly restrictive linearity of AC3 and to a lesser extent AC4) and more so on more providing more simple objectives while at the same time encouraging player agency in the form of open level design, a ton of tools and maneuverability, and systemic elements to ensure a sense of randomness. This is reflected in all of their recent action adventure open world titles over the past two years, Far Cry Primal, Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and now AC:Origins. The idea is that a lot of the objectives when boiled down are inherently repetitive due to being quite similar, since the objective almost always boil down to rescuing someone, retrieving an item, or reading info, etc., at a first glance, this would lead one to assume that the game is inherently repetitive. However, there are several factors that ensure that the game is always bringing something new to the table
-The constant changes in the level design, the majority of which are designed with multiple approaches in mind. Overtime the levels themselves get more and more complex and as a result dangerous as guards become more aware, numerous, and higher level to accommodate the larger fortresses. Hell, even going to a fort via a question mark, and then getting a sidequest to go back to that fort, will yield different experiences.

-Systemic elements like animals and npc schedules adding aspects of unpredictability. Depending on when you approach you can infer that the guards will be doing one of many things like sleeping, eating, changing schedules, working etc., on top of elements like animals playing a part as you'll never know if an angry gator or hippo will wander in and aggro the guards or how a lion will react once uncaged. All of the above is still a factor even if you try to make it easier to predict what will occur via manually changing the TOD. The specific region also has an effect on the equipment of the guards with bandits in the desert taming animals, having fire arrows, and hiding out for ambushes.

-An ever increasing amount of tools and abilities at the player's disposal thanks to a progression system, (sleep darts, poison darts. different types of bows with effects, more assassination moves etc), Making the amount of effort that goes into each mission entirely dependent on the player. As every approach is viable whether it's storming in, stealthily sneaking up, or using tools to spread chaos.

This design philosophy also has the express benefit of straight up enhancing moments that are a bit more scripted and cinematic, when I did a sidequest where I and a bunch of rebels stormed a fort that under normal circumstances I'd be meticulously sneaking into, that made the moment more notable than it would otherwise if that happened constantly.

yeah, the animations arent as great as unity
also it irks me theres no option to slide over waist high objects like in previous games
you have to step on it then down
That option still exists they just changed the animation playback for it. Bayek has a more technical way of moving than Arno and the Frye twins. Even the animations ported over from Unity follow that aspect of him.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
It's not that the quests end it fights, it's that it is the same type of fight at the end of every quest. That doesn't happen in The Witcher 3 or any good RPG. In The Witcher 3 you might be tasked with finding out what happened to a husband's missing wife, the next thing you know you're fighting a werewolf, and then you discover the werewolf is the husband and that he was tricked into killing his wife by sister-in-law so she could marry him. At which point, the player has to decide whether he should allow the werewolf to kill his sister-in-law for this betrayal or stop him. That's how pretty much every quest in TW3 goes, you're given an initial basic task, things get turned on their head, and you usually get a moral decision at the end.

I should also point out that it is also why people never minded the recycled side-quest environment in Mass Effect 1. It's because the quest variety made many look past the recycled environments. Yes, you were usually shooting things at the end. But, the context was always different and afforded different ways to tackle them. One base might be about tracking down a ruthless pirate band leader, at which you might be able to reason with them to turn themselves in. At another identical looking base on another planet, you'd be reasoning with a biotic cultist leader about the best way to aid his people in a tense situation. While each quest superficially looked samey, the overall context and control over how they played out was vastly different.

With Origins that's not the case, it's "help me Medjya bandits took my son!" You go to the bandit camp, kill all the bandits, the son returns home. There is no variety, no twists, and no conversation to be had at the end complete with choice. It's the same situation repeated endlessly, kill bandits or kill bandits and rescue thing. Shit, in TW3 you had a whole side quest that involved assassinating a King part of which started with you having to reason with two cave trolls. Again, nothing like that exists in Origins.
Agree wholeheartly that Witcher 3 is the pinnacle of gaming and it's clearly the better game and pretty much an exception.
But you have to consider that Origin brings much more gameplay to the table then most if not all open worlds: stealth, swordcombat, archery, naval battles, boats, mount various animals and vehicles, climb pretty much everything, exploration, scout/fly with senu, races etc... and this in an ancient world AC never was a game where you can make choices regarding an outcome of a quest giving anwers, it gives you the freedom how to takle an assassination or other things.
I understand your points, but hey no game is perfect.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Ubi's current design philosophy is to rely less on cinematic story beats, (those beats still exist ofc but this is a VERY far cry™ from the incredibly restrictive linearity of AC3 and to a lesser extent AC4) and more so on more providing more simple objectives while at the same time encouraging player agency in the form of open level design, a ton of tools and maneuverability, and systemic elements to ensure a sense of randomness. This is reflected in all of their recent action adventure open world titles over the past two years, Far Cry Primal, Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and now AC:Origins. The idea is that a lot of the objectives when boiled down are inherently repetitive due to being quite similar, since the objective almost always boil down to rescuing someone, retrieving an item, or reading info, etc., at a first glance, this would lead one to assume that the game is inherently repetitive. However, there are several factors that ensure that the game is always bringing something new to the table
-The constant changes in the level design, the majority of which are designed with multiple approaches in mind. Overtime the levels themselves get more and more complex and as a result dangerous as guards become more aware, numerous, and higher level to accommodate the larger fortresses.

-Systemic elements like animals and npc schedules adding aspects of unpredictability. Depending on when you approach you can infer that the guards will be doing one of many things like sleeping, eating, changing schedules, working etc., on top of elements like animals playing a part as you'll never know if an angry gator or hippo will wander in and aggro the guards or how a lion will react once uncaged. All of the above is still a factor even if you try to make it easier to predict what will occur via manually changing the TOD. The specific region also has an effect on the equipment of the guards with bandits in the desert taming animals, having fire arrows, and hiding out for ambushes.

-An ever increasing amount of tools and abilities at the player's disposal thanks to a progression system, (sleep darts, poison darts. different types of bows with effects, more assassination moves etc), Making the amount of effort that goes into each mission entirely dependent on the player. As every approach is viable whether it's storming in, stealthily sneaking up, or using tools to spread chaos.

This design philosophy also has the express benefit of straight up enhancing moments that are a bit more scripted and cinematic, when I did a sidequest where I and a bunch of rebels stormed a fort that under normal circumstances I'd be meticulously sneaking into, that made the moment more notable than it would otherwise if that happened constantly.

That option still exists they just changed the animation playback for it. Bayek has a more technical way of moving than Arno and the Frye twins. Even the animations ported over from Unity follow that aspect of him.
Great post. Fully agree.