• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 burned me out with its endless boring side quests, then I would log on to the internet and see people singing their praises. 'They voice acted the sidequest characters, wow!'

Practically almost all of Origin's side quests can be boiled down to "help my hustband/wife has been kidnapped by local militia/bandits please rescue him' with some other random plot line thrown in for extra flava. This always results in your character raiding a fort to rescue said loved one or discover their corpse. Witcher 3 had a lot more variability in my opinion.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I get the thinking here, the world is so large and filled with villages, forts, lairs, etc. that the needed to make sure that there was an area of the game that felt incredibly dead, so that exploring anywhere is rewarding. But not to the point that it feels bloated but moreso a a "holy shit there's so much to do." And that's just counting sidequests and not the question marks. They really let that new writer go wild.
I took a break yesterday and now I'm raring to go at the side quests after I get home. I'm level 30 and my main quest is 31 so I'm not sure how much more is left. It'll take me a day to finish all the side quests anyway.

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going after
The Crocodilein the main quest, I have eliminated the other three targets.
How close am I to the end of the game? I feel like there must still be two or three targets left, but it's really starting to drag on now, and the plot isn't enough to keep my interest going.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I get the thinking here, the world is so large and filled with villages, forts, lairs, etc. that the needed to make sure that there was an area of the game that felt incredibly dead, so that exploring anywhere is rewarding. But not to the point that it feels bloated but moreso a a "holy shit there's so much to do." And that's just counting sidequests and not the question marks. They really let that new writer go wild.

I disagree and I think it's bloated. The biggest culprit are the quest themselves aren't fun, due to both narrative and repetitive gameplay design. It typically ends up to killing someone/getting something which is ok, even Witcher 3 falls into this, but the plot behind them are so mediocre. There are few standout ones like The Champion but even those pale to Witcher 3 or even Horizon's best. That's what i'm seeing the here, people are liking the game at the start ( i love it even ) and gradually grew to disliking it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this on Reddit.

After the quest where you help the kids find their dog and help a Greek historian, they all decide to travel to Memphis together. They really walk there: https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinsc...attention_to_detail_is_insane_minor_spoilers/
Later on, regarding that same quest:

I ran into the dog in Faiyum, and Bayek even calls her by name, with kind of a surprised "Anta!" There were a lot of kids around, so I don't know if the rest were there, and they didn't say anything. I didn't see the historian, but that doesn't mean he wasn't around.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, I never get the "side quests are boring" complaints. Lots of them are well written and adds a lot to the state of the world. Some of them even related to Bayek's past and side story. They're pretty much what you can expect from a RPG, quests that can affect the state of the world. Perhaps lots of them are simple, but there are also others that are long and chained to another quest(s).

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Later on, regarding that same quest:

I ran into the dog in Faiyum, and Bayek even calls her by name, with kind of a surprised "Anta!" There were a lot of kids around, so I don't know if the rest were there, and they didn't say anything. I didn't see the historian, but that doesn't mean he wasn't around.

Apparently, you can find the others and speak to them too.
This is definitely the most realized world I have ever seen. I can get lost for hours in it.

Yeah, I never get the "side quests are boring" complaints. Lots of them are well written and adds a lot to the state of the world. Some of them even related to Bayek's past and side story. They're pretty much what you can expect from a RPG, quests that can affect the state of the world. Perhaps lots of them are simple, but there are also others that are long and chained to another quest(s).

I like them too. As I said earlier, they are mainly about Egyptian life and culture so if you're into that kind of stuff (and I love it), they can be pretty interesting.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree and I think it's bloated. The biggest culprit are the quest themselves aren't fun, due to both narrative and repetitive gameplay design. It typically ends up to killing someone/getting something which is ok, even Witcher 3 falls into this, but the plot behind them are so mediocre. There are few standout ones like The Champion but even those pale to Witcher 3 or even Horizon's best. That's what i'm seeing the here, people are liking the game at the start ( i love it even ) and gradually grew to disliking it.
I agree that they're not Witcher 3 level side quests. Bloated isn't the word I'd use tho. Bloated implies the activities have no point. I'm just constantly having fun because of how well realized this world is. Just raided a bandit camp. Simple objective, kill all bandits, but the way I did it felt so nice and satisfying right down to attention to detail like them slumping over if you put them to sleep while they're sitting down.

Saw this on Reddit.

After the quest where you help the kids find their dog and help a Greek historian, they all decide to travel to Memphis together. They really walk there: https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinsc...attention_to_detail_is_insane_minor_spoilers/
This is genuine insanity. :O

EDIT:What's the differences between the normal HUD and Light?

SECOND EDIT:I finally killed the guy in the bathhouse and also the Scarab, went by so fast since i'm so overleveled lol.
So that's how he loses he finger...to think I was literally one objective away lmfao.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado USA
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I've never played an Assassin's game and this one has caught my interest. I tried playing the first one, but couldn't get into it. Is this something I can play without having played the previous ones? I have an Xbox One X coming and need some games to play on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on Reddit.

In addition:
Related to that, immediately after finishing the quest to save the dog, the kids and dog all leave . Surprised that they did not just NPC vanish, I followed them for a while and noticed that the dog was not quite following them, splitting off and going off on his own. I was a bit worried about him and curious so I followed him, knocking down a few hyenas in his path along the way. He took his sweet time walking around the pyramids and going for a long stroll. After what felt like 20 minutes of following him wander around the outskirts of town, he finally sat down somewhere alone and waited. I hung out there a few minutes to see what his game plan was, but he seemed intent on staying right there.
When it seemed like nothing was going to happen I went to leave. Just then all the kids showed up! They really did all walk home, and the dog even went for a leisurely stroll while the kids went off their own way.

Soon after was when I finally triggered the cutscene in which they all leave for Memphis. Knowing what I did, i Immediately wondered if something like this would happen and I'd see them there. Happy to see that it's true.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I've never played an Assassin's game and this one has caught my interest. I tried playing the first one, but couldn't get into it. Is this something I can play without having played the previous ones? I have an Xbox One X coming and need some games to play on it.

You don't need to have played the others. I think this might be a soft reboot of the series anyway.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
In addition:
Related to that, immediately after finishing the quest to save the dog, the kids and dog all leave . Surprised that they did not just NPC vanish, I followed them for a while and noticed that the dog was not quite following them, splitting off and going off on his own. I was a bit worried about him and curious so I followed him, knocking down a few hyenas in his path along the way. He took his sweet time walking around the pyramids and going for a long stroll. After what felt like 20 minutes of following him wander around the outskirts of town, he finally sat down somewhere alone and waited. I hung out there a few minutes to see what his game plan was, but he seemed intent on staying right there.
When it seemed like nothing was going to happen I went to leave. Just then all the kids showed up! They really did all walk home, and the dog even went for a leisurely stroll while the kids went off their own way.

Soon after was when I finally triggered the cutscene in which they all leave for Memphis. Knowing what I did, i Immediately wondered if something like this would happen and I'd see them there. Happy to see that it's true.

That's insane!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
yujshqw.jpg

Ayyyyyy

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This fucking game. Honestly, this is up there with Prey for me as the biggest shock of the year.

If someone plonked me down with this game in the middle of Alexandria with no HUD and asked me to say what game this was I would not guess it was an assasins creed game. It's so good. The traversal, the quests, the stealth, the combat, the loot, the coherence of the world, just everything.

I'm almost 20 hours in and I've not once used fast travel. I just don't want to. There's so much to see and do on the way to each objective (along with the random world events) I think you'd be robbing yourself of half the experience if you used fast travel all the time.

Bravo Ubisoft. More of the same in the next entry please.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

You never have to ask for more of the same from Ubisoft. That's practically their mission statement.

I really enjoyed his game to. I beat it yesterday and then spent today wrapping up some of the achievements and then traded it in.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

You definitely can. They go into a bit of the origins of the Assassins, so playing the first game in particular might give some added context, but it's not necessary.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, I thought I was close to the end of the game...

...and then I just got to Cyrene. Plus there are still three or four regions I haven't set foot in yet.

Question.... does anything special happen if I

Secret thing:
Activate all of the ancient mechanisms hidden in some of the tombs?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
My only complaint is that the HDR setup is terrible. Wish it was like in COD WWII where I could actually figure out what level to put the settings to.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm genuinely so incredibly impressed by the game's visuals, not just the scale but also the sheer amount of unique assets and the draw distance:
assassinscreedorigins9luvq.png

They nailed it. This is probably the most complex map in a game from this gen.

Bonus:The photo mode angle
assassinscreedorigins0suis.png

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Practically almost all of Origin's side quests can be boiled down to "help my hustband/wife has been kidnapped by local militia/bandits please rescue him' with some other random plot line thrown in for extra flava. This always results in your character raiding a fort to rescue said loved one or discover their corpse. Witcher 3 had a lot more variability in my opinion.

we must be playing different games.
just some ones off the top of my head,
scan walls of a dig site to reveal and old temple with rituals
save a worker who fell down the well, leads to a map of an old library .
find a woman's drunk husband , without spoiling , does a total 180
join a team of hippodrome racers
show a princess around town
solve sekhmet cult murders
get the stolen book of the dead for a man's wife
steal food supplies for the temple etc etc.

im not denying the quests you mention are there, but theyre only a handful

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to know as I'm still early in the game as I just got the title screen. Does the takedown action eventually change to assassinate later in the game or am I suppose to press a different button other than triangle/Y.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want this game. Maybe after I finish Wolfenstein and .Hack GU. How's the PS4 pro version?

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
This fucking game. Honestly, this is up there with Prey for me as the biggest shock of the year.

If someone plonked me down with this game in the middle of Alexandria with no HUD and asked me to say what game this was I would not guess it was an assasins creed game. It's so good. The traversal, the quests, the stealth, the combat, the loot, the coherence of the world, just everything.

I'm almost 20 hours in and I've not once used fast travel. I just don't want to. There's so much to see and do on the way to each objective (along with the random world events) I think you'd be robbing yourself of half the experience if you used fast travel all the time.

Agree with everything. Biggest surprise with Prey this year. Sensational world, satisfying gameplay, good quests.